Search:

SIYE Time:19:08 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Sunk in a Trunk
By werekitten

- Text Size +

Category: Harry's Magical Trunk Challenge (2007-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 24
Summary: Harry Potter is having a horrible summer after his sixth year at Hogwarts. If only the Dursleys were the whole problem – he’s also facing a long, hard journey with no clue how to do it. And to top it off, he just left his girlfriend. But when Harry purchases a magical trunk, things get a lot more interesting…
Hitcount: Story Total: 12193; Chapter Total: 2753





Author's Notes:
Okay, here's chapter three. Enjoy!
Thanks to my amazing beta Erik! I think he finally taught me how to spell sentence (is that right?!). Pathetic, I know, but until yesterday, I thought it was scentance. XD
And remember, a review each chapter keeps away the hungry raptor! (Okay, the rhyme is forced, but the message should be clear -- please review!)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Ron, I’m here!”

Harry walked up the path in front of the Burrow, nervously fingering his shrunken trunk that rested in his pocket. He was planning to spend all day hiding from the Weasleys, but what if they reacted as Hermione had?

Harry shook his head, trying to get rid of his worries. Ron would reassure them, just as Harry had asked.

He knocked on the door and called again. The door swung open, revealing a grinning Ron.

“You brought it?” he whispered.

“Of course.”

In a much louder voice, Ron said, “Hi, Harry! Great to see you!”

Harry walked in just as Mrs. Weasley bustled in and enveloped him in a hug. “Harry, dear, how wonderful to see you! I have some lovely scones fresh out of the oven — you look as though you could use a scone.”

Harry blushed. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley, but I have some things to show Ron. Do you mind if we look through the things I brought as we eat?”

“Of course not, dear. Come right in!”

In no time at all, Harry was settled with Ron at the Weasleys’ large, well-scrubbed kitchen table, the enlarged trunk sitting on the ground between them and a plate of fresh scones in easy reach.

Mrs. Weasley stayed in the kitchen for a while, apparently cleaning, but she eventually went into the sitting room.

Ron looked over his shoulder to make sure that she was really gone, then turned to Harry and whispered, “Alright, you’re safe. Get in, now!”

Harry nodded his agreement, then opened the lid of his trunk and climbed inside. Ron left the room to ‘use the loo,’ just as they had agreed on earlier.

Ron waited outside the kitchen for a minute or so, then came back in. He feigned a look of surprise just in case, even though no one was in the room at the moment.

Making his voice loud enough to be heard, and yet not so loud as to seem overly obvious, Ron said, “Harry? Where’d you go?”

He shrugged for appearances sake, grabbed a scone, and went off to ‘look for Harry’ in the rest of the house, calling his name loudly.

Finally, he returned to the ground floor of the Burrow and went into the room where his mother was knitting.

He bit his lip. This was, morally, the most difficult part of the plan. He had to convince Molly that Harry was truly missing, and he knew that it would upset his mother. He consoled himself, saying that she would laugh at herself later when Harry came out from inside is trunk.

He put on a worried expression, furrowing his brow and twisting his hands anxiously. He took a deep breath and walked over to his mother. “Mum? I can’t find Harry! I think he might be missing…”

~*~*~


“ You sure you checked the broom shed?”

“Yes, twice. Oh, Mum, where could he be?” wailed Ginny.

“I’m sure he’s around somewhere…” Molly tried to comfort her very worried daughter, but it looked as if she was having trouble believing her own words.

Ron came into the room. “Any luck finding Harry?”

“No! He’s gone! Oh, what could have happened?” Ginny looked as if she was trying to hold back tears.

A very weird expression came over Ron’s face. If Ginny hadn’t known better, she would have sworn that he was trying not to laugh. “It’s not funny!” she snapped.

“No, of course it isn’t.” But he still seemed to be holding back a laugh.

Ginny couldn’t see how anyone could possibly find the situation funny. In fact, this was probably the least funny situation she had ever been in. They were in the middle of a war, and someone had disappeared. No, not just someone; Harry Potter, the one she loved — Ginny tried to stop her thoughts. Remember, you’re trying to get over Harry! For real, this time. He’s right, it’s for your own good, and his, too. He doesn’t want me! But in her heart, she knew it wasn’t true. Harry still wanted her just as much as she still wanted him.

But now he was missing… maybe even… No! He’s fine! Ginny tried to stop thinking.

Ron left the room and went into the kitchen, closing the door behind him. Ginny heard the sounds of muffled laughter.

She rose angrily and stalked into the kitchen after Ron.

Ron was sitting on top of Harry’s trunk. Ginny stopped, curiosity momentarily overcoming her anger.

“So, Ron, what was it that Harry wanted to show you?”

He looked up, startled. Apparently he hadn’t noticed her come in. “Oh, you know… just stuff.”

“You’re keeping secrets from me, and I don’t like it.”

Ron shrugged. “So what? There’s nothing I can do about it.”

“You could tell me. Just tell me what’s in the trunk.”

The strange, I’m-trying-very-hard-not-to-laugh expression came over his face again. “Wouldn’t you like to know!”

She sighed in exasperation. “Yes, I would!”

He turned to the trunk and gave it a significant glance, then sighed. “Alright, maybe. But you’ll have to leave the room for a minute or so.”

“Erm, okay,” agreed Ginny, very confused. She returned to try and comfort her mother.

And so she missed Harry emerging from the trunk, holding a whispered conversation with Ron, and climbing back down into the trunk.

“Okay!” Ron shouted as he opened the kitchen door. “Everyone come in here! I…” he sounding again like he was trying not to laugh, “I think I’ve found Harry!”

Mrs. Weasley let out a shriek and hurried into the kitchen, closely followed by Ginny. Mr. Weasley came in from the backyard, and Fred and George (who Mrs. Weasley had called in to help a little while ago) came down from upstairs.

Everyone stood in silence in the kitchen for a few seconds, looking around for Harry. Finally, Mr. Weasley said what they were all thinking: “But, Ron… Harry isn’t here.”

“Yes, he is.” He stepped up on a chair, and, with a dramatic flourish, flung his arms wide in a performer’s stance. “Ladies and gentlemen, I now present…” he waved his wand, and a drum roll sounded, “Mr. Harry Potter!” With another flourish of his hands, he pointed to Harry’s trunk and jumped down from the chair.

The lid of the trunk slowly rose…

...and Harry clambered out, a cheeky grin on his face. “Miss me?”

~*~*~


De finitely a success.”

“Even Fred and George were impressed!”

Hermione leaned back into her comfy chair inside Harry’s trunk with a sigh, after listening to Harry and Ron recount their prank at the Weasleys’. “And you’re sure that no one minded being scared out of their minds?”

“Positive. They were all laughing.”

She smiled. “Well then, mission successful. Your trunk works wonderfully, Harry.”

“Yes, it does.” He took a deep breath, then continued. “I’d like to test it one more time, around Aurors. I’m sure everything will be fine, but just in case… I’ll bring it to Grimmauld Place with me, and ‘go missing’ for a few hours.”

“But, Harry, we aren’t telling the Order that we plan to run away and hunt Horcruxes,” said Hermione anxiously.

“I just won’t tell them that I was in the trunk — I can say that I forgot something at the Dursleys’ and went to get it. They’ll never guess.”

Hermione sighed. “Well, it would be good to get some extra practice with it…”

Ron eyes lit up. “Say, Harry, can we hide in there with you this time?”

Harry smiled. “Sure, why not? It shouldn’t make a difference.”

“Wicked!”

“Hermione? You want to come too?”

“Yes, of course. It will be quite interesting to see how the proximity detector functions in the presence of people… but why will we be in Grimmauld Place with the trunk in the first place.”

Harry smiled. “I did think of that, you know. I’ve been researching blood protection spells, like the one that my mother’s love gave me,” he swallowed hard, then continued, “and I’m fairly certain that it’ll be safe to leave the Dursleys’ at the end of this week. Of course I want out of here as soon as possible, and so why shouldn’t I stay at Grimmauld Place? After all, it is my house!” He grinned.

“Perfect!” said Ron enthusiastically. “So, we’ll meet you there, oh, say, Saturday? Will that work?”

“Sure. Stop by sometime in the morning.”

“This is going to be so much fun!”
Reviews 24
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear