Search:

SIYE Time:6:23 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Summer Friend
By GREYWOLF

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 11
Summary: Exactly when, did Harry 'spot' Ginny? A one shot, HBP missing moment. "Oh, well spotted." Hermione Granger, GOF (p400)
Hitcount: Story Total: 7098



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Characters: H/G, R/H, Mrs Weasley. Warnings -none




ChapterPrinter


A Summer Friend


Harry was nettled. In fact, he had been nettled ever since their return from Diagon Alley. He was absolutely convinced that Malfoy was up to something, and something far more significant than his usual activity of merely being an obnoxious git.

Harry was quite sure of this because of the sinister nature of Malfoy’s visit to Borgin and Burkes. For, while he had surreptitiously listened to Malfoy’s discussion, it had produced a sensation of anxious unease, rather akin to the erection of the small hairs on the back of one’s neck. He was certain that whatever Malfoy was planning involved the item for which he sought help. Since he had no idea what the item was, or what its use might be, he was at an impasse without further information.

Furthermore, he was nettled because of his two friends. Try as he might, he could not seem to convey to them his strong sense of misgiving. Although they agreed that Malfoy was up to something, they were not nearly as impressed as he was concerning the seriousness of the threat.

“I agree Harry,” said Hermione. “It is suspicious; but what can he do? He’s just a boy.”

Even when he had come to the conclusion that Malfoy had become a Death Eater, his friends had dismissed his concerns. This really rankled, but all he could do was to grit his teeth as Ron polished his broom-handle and Hermione rolled her eyes.

Lastly, just to show how contradictory his life frequently was, he was nettled at himself. For he had to admit that his summer had been the best of his life and he hated spoiling it with concerns about Malfoy.

He had spent very little time at Privet Drive, a mere two weeks, being ‘called’ by Dumbledore to assist him in his recruitment of Horace Slughorn.

Firstly, he had been greatly relieved to resume a relationship with the headmaster with complete ease. Harry was embarrassed by his behavior when he was last in Professor Dumbledore’s office. He had been concerned about their meeting, but it had been needless. The headmaster did not mention the episode, and as far as Harry could tell, he had completely dismissed it from his memory. Harry hoped the Professor had banished it to his Pensieve. Of course, he was now looking forward to his ‘lessons with Dumbledore’ with great anticipation and not a little curiosity.

Secondly, he had never been so relieved and encouraged as he had been by his friends’ response, when he revealed the Prophesy. In retrospect, he realized that his concerns had been downright silly, given what he, Hermione, and Ron had been through together for the last five years. They were not just a brother and sister to him, they were much more, they were true friends. He smiled when he remembered what Professor Dumbledore had said about them.

Thirdly, not only had he renewed established relationships, this summer he had made a new friend, Ginny Weasley. He was not sure exactly when she had become his friend. After all, he had known her for years, but it was not until this past year that he had been able to have a conversation of more than two words with her. This was because, as Hermione said, she had got over him. Meaning she had overcome her crush on him and could now interact in a more normal relationship.

He had learned a little about her during his fifth year. She had been a real help to him after the attack on Mr. Weasley and Harry was afraid Voldemort had possessed him. Then, over the course of the year, he had observed something of her character. It seemed quite natural that she had stepped in when the ‘rescue of Sirius’ was being planned. Ginny had shown courage and determination and she refused to be left behind, despite the danger, despite his and Ron’s reluctance.

After Sirius’ death, she had been a comforting presence. Unlike Hermoine, who of course wanted to talk, Ginny had been a quiet support. He recalled their first encounter afterwards in the Hospital Wing. She gently laid her hand on his arm and gave him a brief, soft look. She did not speak, but merely sat beside him for several minutes. He also remembered that she had been the one who explained to Luna, thereby sparing him from that difficulty. As a result, his last conversation with Luna had been rather comforting.

Now, over the course of the summer, she had become a friend and companion. The four of them had been having a great time playing two- a-side Quidditch, having a laugh over Bill and Phlegm, and pulling pranks on each other or whoever happened to be at the Burrow. Harry had now discovered the real Ginny: pleasant, fun, and hilariously full of sneaky mischief. He smiled broadly when he thought of her most recent trick.

A few mornings ago, Hermione had been complaining about playing so much Quidditch, so Ginny suggested they change the teams and have a different sort of contest. She and Harry would take on Hermione and Ron in a cooking contest. At first, the boys had been reluctant until Ginny revealed that they would be preparing pastries. Ron was immediately won over.

“Will we use magic then?” he queried.

“That would hardly be fair, would it?” Hermione replied. “Ginny’s not allowed, we’ll have to do it the Muggle way.”

A great deal of hilarity ensued. Of course, the girls insisted that the boys wear the frilliest aprons, which actually turned out to be a good thing, as they proceeded to make a huge mess of the kitchen with flour, sugar, and whatnot all over everything and everyone. The banter was constant.

“Budge over, Harry; you’re taking all the room.”

“Ron, you prat, watch what you’re doing.”

“Hermione’s cheating, she’s using her wand to mix the dough.”

“Ginny!”

After several hours, the sweets were ready. Ron and Hermione had prepared Bon Bons, Harry and Ginny Eclairs. The agreed upon test procedure was this: each team would try the others’ confection first, and then their own, whereupon they would vote for the winner.

Harry and Ginny had bitten into the Bon Bons and he had to admit, they were good. Then Ron and Hermione had bitten into the Eclairs. At the first bite, the Eclairs had exploded into a blizzard of white powder, covering the pair from head to toe.

For several seconds, Harry stared at the two pairs of surprised eyes, one blue set, one brown, blinking in a field of pure white. Then he broke up, Ginny too. They laughed so hard they were gasping.

“Very funny, very funny,” said a rather miffed Hermione. However, she did smile slightly as she pulled out her wand.

“Scourgify,” she incanted, cleaning herself before turning to Ron. He had said nothing; he was too busy licking his lips.

“Hey, bring that back, I wasn’t done.”

“Honestly Ron,” replied the now amused Hermione. “Yes, very funny, Ginny. I must say though, I never would have expected it of you.”

“Thanks for the compliment, Hermione,” said Ginny. “But why do you assume it was me?” Here she inclined her head with a sly glance toward the boy who lived. “Because …it was Harry.”

Harry grinned back, “It was me, was it?”

“Yes,” replied Ginny with a slight giggle.

“Do you have any proof then?”

“Hermione, any ideas?” Ginny asked with a knowing smile.

Hermione paused, her lips pursed. Then, with a puff from the corner of her mouth removing a stray lock of hair from her face, she said, “Let me see your wands.”

Taking Ginny’s wand, she touched its tip with the tip of her own. “Prior Incantato.” Out came the echo of a stunning spell. The last one Ginny had cast at Hogwarts.

Now taking Harry’s wand, Hermione repeated the procedure. “Prior Incantato.” Out came the Exploding Eclair Jinx patented by Weasley Wizard Wheezes. Harry was stupefied. For about one second there was silence, while his friends looked at his stunned facial expression. Then they broke up.

The red-faced Harry could only smile sheepishly at his friends, who were now rolling on the floor and holding their sides. The little minx, somehow she had nicked his wand, cast the spell, and returned it without him knowing. Now he really smiled with amusement. Ginny had managed to prank all three of them.

* * * * *


So Harry was smiling as he came down the Burrow stairs and entered the kitchen. He was the first one up so he sat down at the breakfast table to await the others. This would be their last day for fun, because tomorrow they would be preparing to return to Hogwarts, as the Express was scheduled for the following day.

As Harry waited, he quietly reflected. He had discovered another aspect of Ginny this summer that had caught him by surprise.

Several weeks back, Harry was up early, as was usual for him. He thought he was the first one up until he walked out onto the porch and discovered Ginny in the porch swing.

“Morning,” he said as he sat beside her. “Why are you up so early?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” she replied quietly. “Nightmare.”

Harry glanced at her. Ginny’s eyes were red. Clearly, she had been crying. Harry felt a constriction in his chest; he did not do well with crying girls. He quickly felt something else though, a mixed feeling, somewhat similar to what he had felt during his last talk with Luna.
There was something more as well, not just sympathy, but also a strong desire to help. This wasn’t Cho; this was Ginny, a friend. He wanted to take away those tears and, besides, he knew all about nightmares.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Ginny looked at him in surprise.

“I mean, you don’t have to, if it’s private you know.”

Ginny smiled slightly. “I suppose you’re the one person I could talk to, the one person who would understand.” Her voice quieted. “It was the Chamber.”

Harry felt her tense.

“It doesn’t happen often now, but when Tom comes, I feel so …helpless, so ashamed.” Then her voice became barely audible. “Dirty, like I was violated.”

Harry took her hand and gave it a light squeeze. Ginny leant her head on his shoulder, tears freshening in her eyes. He said nothing for perhaps a minute, and then he spoke in a quiet, calm voice, “I know the feeling.”

Straightening, Ginny looked at him. “Harry, why did you come after me?”

Harry was puzzled. “How could I not come after you? I mean, anyone would.”

“Anyone, huh,” she said with an enigmatic smile.

Harry did not know what to say. He was not sure what she meant, so he said nothing.

“You just don’t realise, do you?”

Now he was completely baffled.

Ginny smiled broadly; there was a hint of humor around her eyes as she sighed. “Thanks Harry, for being a friend. You know, I’m not sure if I’ve ever told you,” she paused. “Thank you …for saving my life.”

* * * * *




As Harry sat pondering that conversation, still wondering what Ginny was getting at, his brown bushy-haired friend and his red silky-haired friend entered the kitchen. Ron followed shortly thereafter. After the breakfast clean up, Harry took the initiative. “What shall we do today?”

“How about a Quidditch match?” Ron answered.

“Big surprise,” murmured Hermione. “I’m just not sure my backside can stand another match.”

“You would think the brightest witch of her age could do a decent cushioning charm,” he retorted.

Harry quickly intervened; he knew where this was going, “Ginny, do you have any ideas?”

“Well,” she paused. “I have been thinking about a prank.”

“On who?” Harry said cautiously.

“On Phlegm.”

Harry felt a twinge of annoyance. He knew Ginny disliked Fleur, and with some justification, he had to admit. He did recall the time she called him ‘zis leetle boy’. Nevertheless, he had a soft spot for her because of their shared experiences as Tri-Wizard Champions.

“I don’t know, Ginny, can’t you give her a break?”

“Your help is essential, Harry, otherwise she won’t fall for it.”

Harry looked reluctant.

“If you won’t cooperate,” said Ginny with a little smirk. “I’ll have to tell Hermione and Ron about that scar on your bum.”

“How do you know about …I mean what are you talking about, Ginny?”

Hermione burst out laughing. “Yes, do tell us Ginny,” said Hermione, who looked outraged, amused, and curious all at the same time.

Ron, however, was strictly outraged. “And how do you know about that?”

Ginny smiled, “Madame Pomprey told Luna, and Luna told me. Would you like to know what else she told me?”

“Alright, alright,” said an exasperated Harry, throwing up his hands. Gracefully or not, he knew when to accept defeat. Matching wits with Ginny was even more dangerous than matching wits with Hermione.

“Oh goody,” said Ginny conclusively.

* * * * *


“Fleur, Fleur!” said Harry, loudly and breathlessly as he came into her room.

“’Arry, what es et?” she replied, surprised and slightly concerned.

“Don’t worry, it’s a good thing. Bill’s here and he’s asking for you.”

“Beel! ‘e was not supposed to be back until tomorrow.”

Taking her hand, they hurried down the stairs into the kitchen. A tall man with red hair, pulled back into a ponytail, was standing with his back to them as he gazed out the window.

“Beel!” squealed Fleur. She rushed forward and spinning him around, she grabbed him and planted a big kiss on his lips.

It was Ron.

“Surprise,” said Harry.

Hermione and Ginny appeared, smiling and snickering. All three were laughing at Ron, whose face was red as a beet, though he was smiling too.

Suddenly the laughter stopped. For Fleur Delacour was undergoing a startling transformation. Her nose and mouth elongated, joined, and hardened. Her silver blond hair morphed into feathers, and her fair skin erupted with small pebbly scales.

Quick as a flash she gave Ron another peck, but this was no love kiss, it drew blood. Before anyone could react, she turned quickly and got Harry on the neck.

Pandemonium ensued. Ginny and Hermione ran screaming and laughing from the house, followed by Ron and Harry, who received several additional painful pecks on their backs before they could clear the door.

They made it to the garden; fortunately, Fleur did not follow. Pausing, they caught their breath and as they looked at each other, they broke up. It took them quite a while to calm down. Every time they looked at each other, they broke up again. Finally, Hermione controlled her snickers, “I would never have thought she had enough Veela blood to do that.”

“Do you think Bill knows?” said Ginny, with a sly look.

* * * * *



That afternoon, they decided to take a picnic basket to the park just outside Ottery St. Catchpole. Harry had first checked with Mrs. Weasley to make sure she had no objection.

“That’s fine Harry. In fact, I need some salt. Perhaps you lot could stop by the grocer in the village. That will save me a trip to Diagon Alley.”

They packed sandwiches, crisps, apples, and the last of the contest pastries. Ginny swore they were safe, though Harry had a nagging feeling, but since they would be in a public park with the possibility of Muggles around, he gave her the benefit of the doubt.

The day was turning cool and blustery as they arrived at the park, unusually cool for the time of year. They shared the common meal, the sweets being delicious, and harmless, to Harry’s relief. Afterwards, they huddled together to break the wind, which was becoming a bit biting.

“Will we continue the D.A. this year, Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I suppose not,” Harry replied. “Now that we have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, there’s no need, especially since we’ve got rid of Umbridge.”

“Hem, Hem,” said Ginny. Everyone laughed.

“Hard to believe we’re starting sixth year,” Hermione continued. “This is OWL year for Ginny; we must help her to do well.”

Harry and Ron exchanged looks, they grinned.

“You will also receive profession counseling this year,” she turned to Ginny. “Do you have any idea what you want to do?”

“Haven’t the foggiest,” Ginny replied.

To Harry’s surprise she looked straight at him for several seconds. Then she looked back at Hermione, who smiled.

“What about you, Harry?” Ginny asked quietly. “Do you still want to become an Auror?”

“Well, that’s out, since I won’t be continuing Potions. At least there’s a silver lining, no more Snape.”

“What about Professional Quidditch?” said Ron. “Would you like to give it a go? You would definitely qualify.”

“That would be fun,” Harry replied. “There is the matter of my little assignment. That might be a problem. I could just imagine. What if he showed up at a match? Could put a damper on attendance.”

Ron sniggered and Harry smiled, then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ginny, giving him an inquisitive look.

“What do you mean, Harry?” she asked.

Sweet Merlin, his heart jumped into his throat. “Ah, er …Snape, I was just thinking about Snape,” he stammered.

Ginny raised one eyebrow, looking at him intently. Then she looked at Ron and Hermione, whom Harry thought looked as guilty as the cat who swallowed the canary. She glanced back at him, but fortunately, said nothing else. He was going to have to be more careful. He had become too used to her presence over the summer.

Fortuitously, Hermione produced a distraction. “I’m getting cold. How about we go to the grocery and then head back.”

“Yeah,” said Harry quickly. He gathered up the blanket they had been sitting on and stuffed it into the picnic basket.

As they exited the grocery, Hermione spoke up, “Let’s go, I can’t believe how cold it’s become, I certainly did not dress for this.”

“Hermione, you and Ron go on,” said Ginny. “I want Harry to help me find a Christmas present for Dad. You know how he loves Muggle stuff and this will be my only chance. That is, if it’s alright with Harry?”

“Sure, you two go ahead, this won’t take long.”

Indeed, it took no time at all to find something he was sure Mr. Weasley would like, a small solar powered calculator.

“How does it do that?” Ginny asked as Harry pressed some numbers.

“See these black panels, they convert sunlight into electricity.”

Ginny smiled. “Dad will love that, but I still don’t understand what it’s good for?”

“It simplifies doing Arithmancy. Let’s say you want to know how much it costs in Wizard money.” Harry showed her the conversion from Pounds to Galleons.

“Neat, but how can it be so inexpensive?” Ginny asked.

“It’s because they’re mass produced in China or somewhere, where manufacturing is cheap.” Harry paid for the calculator, since he had brought Muggle money to buy the salt.

“I’ll pay you back when we get to the Burrow.”

“Sure.” Harry shrugged.

As they left the village, Harry noticed Ginny was smiling. “So, no visits from Tom lately, I see,” he said.

“Nope, in fact I had a lovely dream last night, playing Quidditch for Gryffindor.”

“You’ll try out for the team, then,” said Harry as they approached the low stone bridge over the river.

“Oh yes, my captain.”

“You’ll be a brilliant Chaser.”

Ginny gave him a sly look. “I thought I might try out for Seeker.”

Harry grinned; he gave her arm a playful slap. She gave his arm a slap. He gave her shoulder a playful shove. She gave his shoulder a shove. He gave her a light shove with his shoulder, causing her to stagger. He watched her out of the corner of his eye as she moved to retaliate. Just before she made contact, he stopped dead. Ginny sailed across his front.

There was just one problem. Harry had not noticed that their walk had taken them onto the bridge. Off balance, Ginny staggered right over the low wall. There was an abbreviated ‘eek’, followed by a splash.

“Ginny!” Harry moved quickly to the low wall, as her head broke the surface. He started to reach for his wand, but a quick glance stymied him, Muggles.

As Ginny swam toward the shore, Harry raced to the end of the bridge. By the time he reached the bank, Ginny was starting to climb out. He grabbed her hand, giving a slow steady pull. “Ginny, I am so sorry …stupid.”

Ginny spluttered and coughed, showering Harry slightly. “My fault, just as much my fault,” she said shaking and dripping.

“Was the water cold?”

“Actually, I was warmer in the water. This wind is murder,” she said with a shiver.

“Let’s go, the sooner we get back to the Burrow the better.”

They set off at a brisk pace, but in a matter of minutes, Harry noted Ginny’s shivering had become constant. He was starting to become seriously worried.

“Ginny, you’ve got to get out of those wet clothes.”

“Harry! Do you want to add humiliation to my embarrassment?”

“Well, let’s hurry then.”

A short distance later, Harry noticed an odd sound. It took him a moment to realise what it was. Ginny’s teeth were chattering. When he looked at her, he saw that her lips were blue. Now he was really scared.

“Look, no kidding. Go behind those bushes and take off those wet clothes. You can wrap yourself in this,” he pulled the blanket out of the picnic basket.

“Harry,” she gave him a pleading look.

“Take your choice, humiliation or hypothermia. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody. It’s just me, just Harry.”

In spite of the situation, Ginny gave an odd little smile. “Alright then, but no peeking.”

Harry snorted; he had been so worried that he had not even thought about that.

“Alright,” Ginny called. “Come give me a hand.”

Harry came around the bushes. Ginny was holding the blanket, wrapped tightly around her. “You were right Harry, this is much better. Could you put my clothes in the basket please?” The wet clothes were in a pile on the ground.

“Sure,” he replied. “First, let’s warm you up.” Standing directly in front of her, he placed his hands on her arms and began to rub briskly up and down, using the friction of his palms to warm her. After a few moments, he noticed his efforts were working. Ginny’s cheeks were starting to pink up.

He moved closer still, and began to rub her back. Ginny’s forehead was against his chest. The motion of his hands slowed. Gradually they stopped.

He had suddenly realised. Ginny was, soft; and, she had …curves. Imperceptibly, time slowed. Slowly, very slowly, Ginny’s head came up. Her eyes were closed, then they fluttered open and she gazed up at him from beneath her lashes. From a mere inch or two, he looked into her soft brown eyes. Time stopped. As he counted the individual freckles on the bridge of her nose, he felt a slight lurch in the region of his stomach. It seemed vaguely familiar, something to do with a Quidditch match.

Reluctantly time resumed to normal. He could not judge how long they had stood there. To his mind, it was indeterminate. Suddenly he stepped back.

“Well, is that better?” His voice sounded odd to him, hoarse.

“yes,” Ginny squeaked, she cleared her throat and tried again.
“Yes, that’s much better,” she said, her voice sounding more normal. “Thank you Harry.” Her cheeks were quite red now.

Harry stooped down and gathered the sodden mass of clothing. As he put it in the basket, something red fell out. He picked it up and shook it. His cheeks turned as red as hers. It was Ginny’s knickers.

* * * * *



The following morning had started with another fuss with Ron and Hermione. Harry left the room in a huff. He was absolutely convinced he was right; nevertheless, he was beginning to regret even bringing up the idea that Malfoy was a Death Eater.

He was taking his dirty laundry down to Mrs. Weasley when he bumped into Ginny on the landing. He thought he spotted something red in her pile of freshly laundered clothes.

“I wouldn’t go into kitchen just now,” she warned him. “There’s a lot of Phlegm around.” *

“I’ll be careful not to slip in it,” Harry smiled. “Or get pecked.”

Ginny smiled back at him and Harry again felt that slight lurch in the region of his stomach. As he continued down the stairs, he remembered the first time he had experienced the sensation. It was the start of the Ravenclaw Match in third year; but why he was feeling that peculiar sensation around Ginny, he hadn’t a clue. Clearly, Malfoy would not be the only mystery he would deal with this year.


*(HBP, p131)

A/N: Thanks to my BETAs, Wanda and Nowhrah, for their help and suggestions.


Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear