Search:

SIYE Time:20:47 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Four Reasons Why
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 22
Summary: Harry always wanted to be an Auror, right? So why does he suddenly think that the reasons he had to be one are actually ones to quit?
Hitcount: Story Total: 8025



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I've actually been working on this for a while and just recently finished it up. It's just another excuse for fluff. I hope you all enjoy and please leave a review!




ChapterPrinter


Four Reasons Why




Harry Potter had yet another long and exhausting day. Actually it was more like two long and exhausting weeks. His four day mission to Russia to track down a group of underground Death Eaters had turned into a little more than a two week long mission. The last day was the worst in Harry’s opinion; filing reports and filling out two dozen different forms in triplicate was not something Harry enjoyed very much. It was boring and tedious and Harry could never remember what form went to what department. Even after doing it for six years, he still wasn’t sure what half of it meant. But now it was over and now he could return home and finally take a well deserved mini-holiday.

His house was quiet and dark, seeing as it was nearly midnight when he finally arrived home. He hoped that Ginny was still up waiting for him, ready to welcome him home with open arms and tell him how much she missed him and proceed to show him just how much she missed him. However, in the past few years that sort of welcomes was rare.

He remembered early in their marriage when Ginny would still be sitting up in bed, waiting for him to come home and greet him very enthusiastically. Over time, she would wait up less and less and eventually he would find her curled up in their bed fast asleep with a book half opened on her chest or snuggled beneath the blankets.

Of course Harry could never blame her for not waiting for him. She did after all have the toughest job out of the two of them when he was away. While he was off battling the bad guys she was at home battling with their own small brood of little Harry and Ginny look-a-likes.

Quietly, Harry trudged up the stairs, ready to collapse in bed and sleep for at least a week if his loving wife would allow him to do such a thing. Knowing her, she would give him a day to recuperate before bearing down on him to help around the house and take care of the children. Though, he had to admit, he was more than happy to help with the cooking and cleaning and maintenance of their home and was always thrilled to spend any time with their children.

Thoughts of his family made Harry frown as he reached the top of the stairs. He knew he was missing out on their children growing up and he hated that. But his job was important and it was something he always wanted to do. Harry knew he had to help rid the world of people who wanted to cause harm. But lately, he found he did not have the same passion for the career as he had once when he had started.

In the beginning he loved doing what he did. It was thrilling and exciting and he took great joy in locking away rouge Death Eaters. But now . . . now Harry didn’t know why he continued to be an Auror. He spent many days away from his loved ones, spent sleepless nights on cold hard ground and dodged curses that could take his life. He endured constant training sessions, often leaving him exhausted and sore and spent countless hours filling out paperwork he hated so much. Of course, he was being called less and less for dangerous missions as the population of Death Eaters decreased, but there were still a vast number of problems that needed to be dealt with.

His job took him away from what he considered the most important parts of his life. He missed his friends and family and wanted nothing more than to just up and quit his job. He found it hard to remember the reasons why he trudged on with something he was beginning to hate.

As he walked down the hallway, he decided to peek inside a shut door and reason number one as to why he was an Auror came to mind.

Slowly, Harry pushed open the door and entered a dimly lit room. He smiled at the sight he found in front of him

Toys littered the floor and Harry was sure Ginny was not going to like seeing this mess in the morning. A toy sized Quidditch stadium sat in the middle of the floor, tiny figures of Quidditch players fast asleep on the pitch. There was a toy broomstick leaning against a bookshelf which was filled with children’s books and a few toys. Against the furthest wall sat a bed where a small four year old boy slept peacefully. Harry stood above him, smiling down at his first born son.

Simon Orion Potter was an energetic and lively boy. He was the exact replica of Harry, expect for he had Ginny’s eye color. He was a very active child and did not like to sit still for very long. He was a handful for Harry and Ginny, often trying their patience and seeing how far he could push his parents. He also had a love of Quidditch and Harry was sure he would see his son in the World Cup one day.

He watched as his son clutched onto his teddy bear, the same bear he had since the day he was born. Harry smiled, remembering that day as if it was yesterday.

He remembered how small Simon had been and how scared Harry had felt. Harry had not been sure at the time that he could actually be a dad and be responsible for this new life. What he had known back then and still knew today was that he would protect his son from everything and anything. He had made a vow to himself the night Simon was born to never let any harm come to him.

Harry leaned over and placed a kiss on his son’s forehead. He gave one final smile and turned to leave the room.

“Daddy?”

Harry stopped and turned around. Simon was sitting up, rubbing his eyes with his hands and blinked sleepily at his father. A huge grin broke out on his face and he jumped out of bed, raced towards Harry and threw his arms around his legs. “Daddy!”

Harry stumbled slightly and picked up his son. “Hey, little guy.”

“Daddy, I missed you,” Simon said, hugging Harry tightly. “It was boring with Mummy and Ariel.”

“Simon,” Harry scolded, “your mother and Ariel are not boring.”

“But they’re girls, Daddy! Mummy didn’t do anything fun the whole time! She wouldn’t let me see Uncle Fred and Uncle George. She said she was too sick,” Simon moaned. He pouted for a moment before quickly replacing it was a huge grin. “But now you’re home and we can do fun stuff! Can we go see Uncle Fred and Uncle George tomorrow after we visit Nana and Grandad, please?”

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” Harry sighed and carried his son back to his bed. “What do you mean your mum was sick?”


“She’s just sick,” Simon replied. “I dunno. Hey, Daddy, did you bring me anything cool? Did you capture the bad guys? Did you get in some good spells?”

Simon fired question after question, eager to know what his father had been up to.

“Simon,” Harry said loudly and Simon looked up at his father with questioning eyes, “we’ll talk in the morning. Right now you need to go back to sleep.”

Simon groaned. “Please can I stay up, Daddy? I really want to hear about you fighting the bad wizards.”

“In the morning,” Harry insisted. “Bed. Now.”

Simon pouted and obeyed his father. Harry tucked him in, kissed him goodnight and left his son’s bedroom.

Harry made a second stop on his way to his bedroom. This time, the room he entered was painted in a soft pink color. White furniture was laid out all over the place and the room was bathed in a soft glow of a fairy light. A cot stood on the other side of the room and Harry slowly made his way towards it.

Peeking in, he smiled at the sight of his daughter, Ariel Genevieve Potter.

At fifteen months old she was Harry and Ginny’s little angel, although she certainly didn’t act like a little angel most of the time. She was every bit as mischievous as her brother but wasn’t nearly as rambunctious. She too had her father’s hair but looked just like her mother. Little Ariel was also the pride and joy of the Weasley family, seeing as she was the only granddaughter thus far.

There was a time, however, when Harry had feared for his little girl’s life, and even thinking about it now was hard for Harry.

She had been born seven weeks early and many Healers didn’t expect her to live. She had had trouble breathing on her own and it had seemed like the Healers were running out of treatments for her. Harry and Ginny had refused to accept the fact that their daughter would die and did everything they could to make sure she lived. She was Potter and a Weasley combined and she was strong. Tiny Ariel had proven to live up to her parents’ beliefs and had regained her health.

Harry reached inside the cot and brushed a raven colored curl off her forehead. She stirred slightly but didn’t seem to be waking up. Harry smiled down at his little girl and leaned down, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead.

“Daddy’s missed you, sweetheart,” he whispered, softly stroking the top of her head. She stirred again and this time she yawned and blinked sleepily up at her father. It took her a moment or two to realize who was disturbing her sleep before she reached up with her arms, begging to be held. She gave him a wide smile. Harry couldn’t help but smile back at her, noting the addition of a third tooth in her gummy smile.

Harry caved in and picked her up, relishing in having his daughter close to him again. He took her to the nearby rocking chair and sat down with her still in his arms.

Ariel snuggled closer to Harry, her tiny hands clutching the front of his Auror robes. Harry smiled down at her and began to slowly rock back and forth in the chair.

“Did you miss me?” he asked her. She merely moved closer to him, her little eyelids drooping. Harry chuckled. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

For the next few minutes, Harry was content to sit in the rocking chair with his daughter nestled in his arms and rocking her to sleep. He missed moments like this.

Her breathing became rhythmic and Harry was sure she was back to sleep. Carefully, he stood up and walked back to the cot. He put her down, kissed her forehead again and whispered a good night.

She, Harry knew, was another reason why he did the job he did. Like Simon, Harry vowed to keep Ariel safe down to every strand of hair on her head.

Slowly he crept out of her room and finally made it to his own bedroom.

His own room was dark save for the moonlight shining through the window. He glanced at his bed and saw Ginny sound asleep. She was curled up into a ball and clutching onto the pillow he usually slept on when he was home. He smiled at her.

Ever since before he could remember Ginny was always a reason for doing what he did. He would defend her and protect until the end of his days. He would never let any harm come to her.

Instead of heading straight for his bed, Harry grabbed a pair of pajamas and went into the adjoining washroom deciding that he should probably take a shower being going to bed.

The shower was quick, but very refreshing to Harry seeing as he hadn’t had the luxury of a shower for two weeks.

As Harry was toweling off he heard the door open. He looked up and saw Ginny standing in the doorway.

“You’re home?” she asked crossing her arms around her middle. Her hair was tousled and messy from sleep and her eyes were slightly puffy. She had never looked more beautiful to him.

Harry nodded and before he knew it, she had rushed towards him and was throwing her arms around his neck.

Harry hugged his wife tightly to him. Her body was pressed against his and Harry was very aware that only a thin piece of cotton and a towel separated their bodies.

Ginny began kissing him passionately. Harry was kissing her back just as fiercely and soon he found himself lifting her in his arms and carrying her off to their bed.

“Gods, I’ve missed you,” he whispered after he had laid her on the bed and covered her body with his own. He pressed a kiss to her collarbone and something stirred within him at the moan that escaped her lips.

“Har — oh gods — Harry . . . hmm . . . Imperturbable Charm, love,” Ginny muttered in-between sighs of pleasure. “I don’t — I don’t want Simon to come in here.”

Harry heeded her request and was quick to return ravishing her.

“I’ve missed you,” he murmured against her neck after he had caught his breath and his heart had stopped pounding hard in his chest. “I’ve missed this.”

“Harry?” Ginny said sweetly. He glanced up at her.

“Yes?”

“Stop talking and get on with it already.”

All conversations immediately ceased.

* * * * * *



Some time later, Harry was holding Ginny close, willing his racing heart to calm. He was hot and it seemed like the shower he had taken earlier was all in vain now.

“That was brilliant,” Harry said and kissed the top of Ginny’s head. She smiled and leaned up to kiss him on the lips.

“That’s the part I love about you coming home from a mission. The sex is always amazing,” she agreed and snuggled close to him.

“Only after I get home?” he asked and raised an eyebrow at her.

“Do you want me to tell you you’re some sort of a sex god?” she asked.

“Yes.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at him and sighed. “Well, seeing as you are the only man I’ve ever been with I don’t exactly have anyone to compare you with. So if you want to think you’re a sex god, go right ahead and think it, love. I’ll keep my thoughts to myself.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Harry murmured.

“Anytime,” she replied with a sly grin.

After a few minutes, Ginny moved off the bed and picked up her night dress. She went into the bathroom and returned with Harry’s pajamas.

“Get dressed. Simon’s developed a habit of coming in here at night when you’re not home and I don’t want to explain to him why Mummy and Daddy don’t have any clothes on in bed,” she said as she slipped into bed again and handed Harry his clothes.

“He comes in here? Why?” Harry asked as he got out of bed and began to get dressed. He heard her sigh as he pulled his shirt over his head.

“He hates it when you’re gone for so long. He wakes up in the middle of the night and begs to sleep with me. Most of the time I can get him to fall asleep in his bed, but he always ends up in here. I think he has bad dreams about something happening to you but never says anything,” Ginny explained.

Harry got into bed next to her and she immediately snuggled up to him. He wrapped his arms around her.

“I didn’t know he was doing that,” Harry replied in slight shock. If he had known, he would have refused to leave his family for so long. He knew all about nightmares and never wanted his children to experience them.

“It’s recent. Regardless, none of us like it when you leave for too long. We miss you,” Ginny said and Harry tightened his hold on her. She looked up at him and grinned. “The kids are going to be so excited to see you!”

“I already saw them,” Harry admitted. “I checked up on them before I came in here. I was trying to figure out why I was still an Auror.”

“And what did you figure out?” Ginny asked and yawned.

Harry ran his hand up and down her back and kissed the top of her head.

“That I have three reasons for it; you, Simon, and Ariel,” he said. “And I think those are pretty good reasons for me to keep doing this job.”

“Just keep yourself safe,” she replied and glared up at him. But he noticed that her eyes held a slight sadness in them. She had always supported his choice of profession but now it seemed like she had changed her mind. “I’ve told you a thousand times already, if you get yourself killed I’m going to bring you back to life and kill you for getting yourself killed.”

“I promise I won’t get killed,” he assured her. “Besides,” he gave her a cheeky grin, “I wouldn’t be able to have that amazing welcome-home-sex with you anymore.”

She smacked his arm playfully. “Prat.”

“But you still love me right?” he asked.

“Always,” she replied and kissed him.

Ginny settled herself against him, nestling her head against his chest. Harry kept his arms around her feeling happy to have her in his arms again. He missed things like this when he was away and he was starting to think that maybe his reasons for keeping his job were really reasons to switch careers.

After some time had passed Harry remembered something his son had told him.

“Love, Simon told me when I checked on him that you weren’t feeling well,” he said softly. He felt her stir against him and she pulled away. She propped herself up on one elbow and looked down at him.

“What did he say?” she asked with a slight nervous tone to her voice.

“He just said that you were sick and wouldn’t take him to visit the twins,” he said. She bit her bottom lip and looked down at her pillow. He propped himself up as well and looked worriedly at her. “Ginny, is something wrong?”

She glanced up at him and shook her head.

“No, nothing’s wrong,” she assured him and Harry let out a sigh of relief. “But it is something,” she added.

Harry watched her with baited breath, wondering what was going on.

“I’ve felt this way twice before,” she began to say and picked at a spot on their sheets. She glanced up at him. “And both times resulted in Simon and Ariel.”

He blinked as her words slowly sunk in.

“You mean, we’re . . . you’re . . . really?” he stammered and grinned widely at her.

She nodded.

“We’re having another baby,” she confirmed.

Harry let out a whoop of joy and pulled her into a tight hug.

“Oh, Ginny,” he muttered as he showered light kisses all over her face. “Ginny, this is absolutely incredible.”

He pulled away and saw her smiling at him. He ran a hand across her abdomen where he knew their unborn child was developing.

“When did you find out?” he asked.

“About a week ago. I’m just over two months along,” she said.

“Does anyone know yet?” he asked and she shook her head.

“No, I wanted you to be the first to know, though I’m sure Mum suspects it.”

Harry sighed and lay back feeling as if he was on cloud nine. This was definitely the best news to come home to!

“When’s this little one due then?” he asked as Ginny joined him and snuggled close.

“October,” Ginny replied and glared at him. “You better make sure you’re here for it. I won’t have you miss this one’s birth like you almost missed Simon’s.”

“I got there in time and I was here for Ariel’s,” he defended himself.

“Yes, well, Ariel’s birth was a bit unexpected,” she muttered darkly.

Harry immediately regretted saying anything and kissed her forehead in apology. It was still hard for Ginny when it came to the events of Ariel’s birth.

“I’ll be here,” he promised while taking the subject off of Ariel. “I won’t miss a thing with this one.”

“Good,” she sighed. “So I expect no Auror business come October or the Ministry will have to deal with me.”

“You are definitely a force the Ministry does not want to be reckoned with, especially when pregnant,” he agreed and grinned as she smacked his arm.

“You’re lucky, you know. A comment like that would normally warrant a viscous Bat Bogey Hex, but since you are the father of my children I’ll let you slide this time,” she replied and snuggled even closer to him.

“I thank you for your kindness oh Queen of the Potter household,” he said.

“Queen, eh? Are you going to worship me now?” she asked her voice sounding sleepy. He knew she would drift off to sleep at any moment. She always fell asleep easily.

“I already do,” Harry replied and grinned to himself. “In more ways than one.”

She pinched his side. “Git.”

Harry held her tightly to him as he chuckled softly. “I love you.”

“Love you, too,” Ginny muttered and it wasn’t much longer before she was fast asleep.

Harry lay awake with his wife in his arms thinking of their new arrival. He was excited to be a father again and couldn’t wait to hold their new baby. Maybe it would be another boy and they could name him Hayden; or maybe a little girl and name her Rhianna. Either way, he would love their new baby just as much as he loved Simon and Ariel.

Harry knew one thing for sure as his eyelids grew heavy and he placed a protective hand over Ginny’s belly; he had reason number four.

He made a vow to himself as he slid into dreamland; Ginny, Simon, Ariel, and Baby Potter were his reasons to fight and survive and he would do everything he could for those four reasons to live long and happy lives. But he wasn’t sure if he could handle being away from them anymore. He didn’t want to miss anything in their lives and his children were young; they were learning and growing so fast and he knew he was missing things. He didn’t want that.

Harry’s sleep was soon interrupted by a small hand shaking his arm followed by a soft voice. “Daddy, Mummy?”

Harry blinked his eyes opened and looked down at what was shaking him. The blurry image of his son came into focus and propped himself up.

His movements startled Ginny out of her sleep. She groaned and rolled over, burying her face in Harry’s stomach.

“What is it, Simon?” Harry asked yawning widely.

“Ariel’s crying and I can’t sleep,” he whined and crossed his arms. “Make her stop.”

“I’ll get her,” Ginny sighed and slowly made her way out of the bed. She hurried out of the room leaving the door opened behind her.

“Can I sleep with you and Mummy tonight?” Simon asked with his hands clasped together in front of him. Harry scrubbed at his face with his hands in an attempt to wake up.

“Simon,” Harry sighed ready to lecture his son. “Son, I don’t know.”

“Please!” Simon begged and bounced up and down on the balls of his feet. “Please, Daddy! I really missed you, Daddy! I promise I’ll go to sleep and not bug you and Mummy.”

Harry sighed and rubbed his eyes with his fists. He couldn’t say no to his son when he said things like that.

“All right,” Harry gave in and soon after Simon was scrambling to get into the large bed. Harry helped him up and settled him in.

“Two guests tonight?” Ginny asked from the door.

Harry looked up and saw Ginny entering the room with Ariel in her arms. She looked delighted to see her father and brother at the same time and babbled happily with a chubby finger pointing at them.

“Ariel’s going to sleep with us,” Ginny said handing her to Harry and made her way to the other side of the bed. “Do you mind?”

Harry shook his head, pulling his face away from Ariel as she tried to grab his hair.

“Nope,” Harry replied and tried to hand Ariel back to Ginny when she got in. Ariel, however, didn’t seem to want to let go of her father.

“Da!” she cried in her high pitched voice. She snuggled close to Harry and settled her head on his chest.

“Simon, move closer to your mother so I can put Ariel here,” Harry said and looked down at his son. But Simon it seemed had already fallen asleep and was not going to move any time soon.

“They want their daddy it seems,” Ginny giggled as she lay down on her side.

“Jealous?” Harry asked trying to get settled with Ariel holding tightly to him.

“No. I already had my fun with you,” she teased and gently pulled Simon towards her allowing Harry to set Ariel next to his side. Harry merely raised his eyebrows at her.

“You know this makes it difficult to have my way with you again,” he said and draped an arm across his children. Ginny mimicked him and settled her hand on his arm.

“They’re going to the Burrow to visit Mum and Dad for a few hours tomorrow. I’m sure I can convince Mum to keep them for a little while later and let us . . . get reacquainted a little more.” She grinned seductively at him.

Harry smiled, waggling his eyebrows at her.

He missed this teasing when he was on missions. He missed his children and his wife and being with them and he hated it. He hated doing his job even though he knew he was protecting them.

“I miss this,” Harry said softly, voicing his recent thoughts. “I miss you and them. I hate leaving you for so long.”

“We miss you, too,” Ginny replied looking lovingly down at their children and not meeting his eyes.

“Ginny,” he said quietly and she looked up. “Be honest with me, love, do you want me to be an Auror?”

She was silent and bit her bottom lip.

“It’s not about what I want,” Ginny sighed. “It’s about what you want and I know being an Auror makes you happy. I want you to be happy.”

Harry sighed. “What if it doesn’t make me happy anymore?”

She stared at him with hopeful eyes.

“I hate leaving you lot,” he continued. “I hate missing them grow up. I hated missing your pregnancies and I don’t want to miss anything on this one. I know you hate it, too.”

“It’s not my decision, Harry. I don’t like you being away so much from us and it makes me sick with worry wondering if you’ll come home. I want you to do what makes you happy whether it’s being an Auror or something else,” Ginny replied.

“I’m not happy,” Harry admitted. “I can’t take missing everything anymore.”

Ginny stared at him and bit her bottom lip again. “What will you do then?”

Harry sighed and watched his sleeping children. He looked up and met her eyes. “Ron and I have been talking for a while about opening up a Quidditch shop in Hogsmeade. I’ve been giving it a lot of thought.”

“I remember him mentioning it a few times. Do you want to do it?” Ginny asked.

Harry frowned. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted to do it. He looked at her with finality. “I do.”

Ginny smiled widely at him. This obviously pleased her and it pleased Harry as well. He would have more time with her and their children and he would definitely be around for Ginny when she needed him during her pregnancy.

“Daddy, Mummy, stop talking. I can’t sleep,” Simon whined causing both parents smile at each other.

“Sorry, Simon,” Harry apologized. “Mum and I will go to sleep now.”

Simon seemed satisfied and said nothing further.

Ginny rolled her eyes and mouthed to Harry, “We’ll talk in the morning.”

Harry nodded. “I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you, too,” she replied and slowly closed her eyes.

Harry lay awake, watching his family sleep on. They were the most important thing in his life and while he would always protect them, he knew there were others ways of doing it besides being an Auror. He wasn’t going to miss anything else now.

Tomorrow, he was going to march into Auror Headquarters and hand in his resignation. He would talk with Ron and get their shop opened and most importantly he would spend more time with his family.

With a smile on his face, Harry slipped into sleep, dreaming of what the future held for him and his family.



Reviews 22
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear