Search:

SIYE Time:6:54 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dumbledore’s Biggest Mistake
By harry_ginny1234

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, R
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 85
Summary: A second Prophecy is discovered, which details the requirements of victory. Only one little problem... it was found too late. Now Harry must decide whether or not return to the past in an attempt fulfil this prophecy. If he does, then when should he return, and how will he go about fulfilling the prophecy .

I am reposting the first 3 chapters after they are being reviewed by some new betas who are helping me with the rewriting of these chapters. Please continue to enjoy this story.
Hitcount: Story Total: 60937; Chapter Total: 5599





Author's Notes:
Hey everybody just a quick note to say thanks to my betas, without them this story would simply be plot bunny stew. I have not been able to reply to reviews personally as I started out doing, but I wanted to thank those of you who have enjoyed this story enough to leave reviews. As always, thanks to JKR forthe original story.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Younger Harry stared for a moment, and then said, “Who are you? And how did I get into the hospital wing, again?”

Older Harry laughed at the look on his counterpart's face, and younger Harry scowled. “What is so funny?” he asked.

Older Harry calmed for a moment to answer. “I am.” Then in response to the sceptical look he received, he lifted the fringe of his hair to show the scar he was famous for.

Younger Harry sat and stared in shock for a moment before he said, “Who are you really?”

Older Harry smiled. “I am you, but from what you would call the future,” he said. “We failed, and Voldemort won. So as a last resort, I was sent back to prepare us, err… you rather, to win the war he will start upon his return.

“As to why you are here in this room, the answer is that it is a representation of where your body is at the moment. You are suffering a case of magical exhaustion because I am here. Your body will adjust to my presence and will quickly rebuild its reserves of magical energy.”

“Do you know who has been attacking the Muggle-born students?”

“Yes, but this is not the time.”

Younger Harry started to get up. “We need to tell professor McGonagall…” he said, but older Harry cut him off. “It will not do any good to go before you are ready. I have much to teach you, and we must start now if you are to end the attacks.”

“But we need to end them now, before someone dies.”

“No one will die if you do as I tell you, but if you do not, then both you and the unfortunate victim who is being forced to order these attacks will die, and Voldemort will stand unchallenged for the next thousand years,” older Harry said.

His younger self looked startled. “But how can I stop him? I’m just Harry.” His dejected look told more of the story than he would have liked. “Some of the students still think I am responsible for the attacks by Slytherin’s monster. Why should I wait to deal with it?”

“I do not want you to stop it yet; the main reason being that you are not ready. There are many things still to be learned before you can do the job properly.”

“But that will take more time…” the youngster argued.

“… and if you die trying, then no one will be able to stop either the monster or Voldemort,” was the man's reply.

Younger Harry stared for a moment, and then started to shake his head in a disbelieving manner. “Dumbledore told me that someone else would have to stop him next time.”

"Yeah, but he didn’t know for sure that the item causing the trouble even existed, but will when we have told him about it, along with some other items he will need to know about, but not until after solving the chamber problem; his instructions, not mine,” older Harry concluded. “Now is there anything else you might want to ask me before we begin?”

Young Harry realized that he should test this person concerning who he was. “Wait a minute! If you are really me, then what happened to cause that primary school teacher’s hair to turn blue?” he asked suspiciously.

His older self smiled when he answered, “First of all, it wasn’t real hair, and secondly, she deserved it because she was accepting what Dudley and his gang of friends were saying about me without hearing my side of things. She simply assigned punishment, and didn’t care if it was fair or right. So in a towering temper, I accidentally turned her wig blue in front of the whole class. I remember getting three weeks in the cupboard for that, and that I had only four meals or so in that time. Oh! And I was nine years old.”

Younger Harry never told this story to anyone, so he decided to accept that this person was who he pretended, for now. “Very well, let’s get started.”

Older Harry looked around the room they were in and said, “Not so quick now. There is much to learn, and you will need to progress at a steady pace to learn it all. First we need to organize this room. Since it is a representation of your thoughts, it will allow you to learn faster and retain more of what you learn.

“Now, I want you to take some deep calming breaths and focus on organizing your mind.” Older Harry watched as his younger counterpart forced himself to relax and began the breathing exercise as instructed.

After a few minutes, younger Harry looked at him and said, “How exactly am I to do this organization you are talking about?”

Older Harry took a deep breath and began to explain the concept of Occlumency. “First you will need to calm and clear your mind. This is accomplished by a relaxed method of meditation. You do this by getting comfortable and focusing on a point about five feet in front of you. To help you here is a point of light to focus on.”

Younger Harry did as he was instructed and began his first attempt at meditating. He focused on the point of light as he was told, and soon found himself feeling more relaxed. A short time later he sighed and looked at the person who had introduced himself as an older Harry Potter. He had obviously faced a difficult test of his abilities and was certainly worried about something. What that was he could not tell; however, he realized that he would probably find out soon.

Just then he looked around and said, “When did this happen, and what are these for?” indicating the filing cabinets, bookshelves, and storage trunks that appeared in the room with them.

“These are for you to sort your memories and thoughts in order to control what is available for you and anyone who tries to invade your mind to see your feelings. That is called Legilimency, by the way. I will teach you to defend your mind from those who are skilled in its use. To store your memories, you will need to sort through and catalogue them for easy reference. Let’s begin with this school year. Choose a drawer in one of the filing cabinets and assign it a title, and then collect all the memories that reference information covered by that title and store them in that drawer.” As he spoke, older Harry placed his hand on younger Harry’s forehead and transferred the needed information to him.

Young Harry began to sort his memories, and worked for what felt like days. Once he had completed the sorting, he said, “I never realized it would be this easy to remember anything. It seems so simple to do now that I have done the task.”

“Yes, you have the basics. But you will need to continue to practice everyday, because it will help keep your mind from becoming cluttered like it was. Once you become more of a master of the skill, you will not only be able to keep attackers from finding what they may be looking for; you will be able to show them false memories as well,” older Harry said.

During the course of next two weeks, they started working on the basics of what older Harry learned from the Council of High Magics: wandless magic, elemental and para-elemental abilities, and his housecat Animagus form. Wanting to emphasise its importance, older Harry also mentioned his agreement with the Fates and that it now applied to him. They started with a different place they came to call "the training hall". One thing that he did was to avoid early mention of the requirement of being married to Ginny so as not to distract him from training.

~ * ~


Four days after arriving, older Harry began discussing how both of them would be affected by the merging of their memories and magical cores. “There are some things we will need to consider about the merging process. The first thing is that when we have completely merged, you will be the dominant personality, but will have access to all of my memories and knowledge when needed," older Harry said.

Younger Harry looked confused. "But, how will that work?" he asked.

Older Harry shrugged before answering. "All I was told before the time ritual was that you would be in control of the body and that I would be able to act as an adviser. However, I was told during my training that you would absorb me into yourself and we would become a single person. Either way it appears that you will have to live with my knowledge and decide how to best face each situation on your own. While not dead, I won’t really be able to interfere either.”

“But, you came back to help me change the future. How can you do that if you aren’t with me?” young Harry asked.

The reply was simple. “I will be with you; however, I won’t be in your way. In fact, I believe that I will need to lock away my memories from you. It would be unfair to you and the rest of our friends for you to know how every thing could work out. Now one thing… Oh, hello Professor Dumbledore, I was wondering when you would make an appearance.”

Back in the 'real world', the headmaster had arrived in the hospital wing, and was staring intently at the sleeping boy on the hospital bed. The surprise at finding Harry mentally in discussion with an image of himself reflected in his expression.

Older Harry turned to face the Headmaster and said, “I can only say a few things to you sir, and those are, “Dimple-chin, the end of my sixth year, and it is time for my younger self to know the prophecies.” One of us will explain later everything I am allowed to tell you. For now, I have to finish training my younger self. Good day sir.” With that said Albus Dumbledore found himself gently but forcefully shown the door out of Harry’s mind.

“Well to tell the truth I was expecting to have to answer his questions sooner. Now he will be wondering what is happening, and what he will need to do to ensure the least amount of damage to the greater good,” older Harry said to himself with a smirk and a chuckle.
He returned his attention to his younger self. “That is what a skilled Legilimens, a person trained in Legilimency, can do. They can enter your mind with no difficulty. I let him in, because I needed to speak with him; he will not interfere with what has to be done now, and he knows that he had a hand in my returning through time,” he said.

Younger Harry just stared in awe, and found himself feeling that he could now trust this person completely since Dumbledore apparently felt it safe to leave him here. He nodded and listened intently as his older self continued the instruction.

Again in the 'real world', the headmaster turned to Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall who were both standing beside him. “He should be fine in a few days,” he said. “I would ask that you keep me informed of any developments. Good day, ladies.”
Both women nodded to Dumbledore and he left the hospital wing, his thoughts consumed with the changes that might soon take place. What does this older version of Harry know and how will it best serve the greater good? What would make me need to send him back in time? These and many other questions spun through the old man’s head.

~ * ~


After two weeks of instruction, older Harry said, “Okay, I know the answer, but I need you to tell me the names of all the girls you know; I don’t just mean in our year either.”

“What’s that got to do with who is attacking… One of the girls I know is the person attacking everyone?” younger Harry uttered excitedly realizing what was being said by his older counterpart.

“She is being forced to. Now name them, and tell me what you think of them.”

“Well, first is Hermione, she was attacked, so I am sure that it’s not her. She is like an older sister, and I will be glad when she is restored so that I can talk to her; even when she is occasionally annoying.

“Next are Alicia, Angelina, and Katie; they are okay, and I know them, but we really don’t associate other than when we are on the Quidditch pitch.

“Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown are both in my year. They are a bit frivolous and often annoying. They only seem interested in me because I am famous. Never for who I am. It could be one of them. They really don’t like Hermione much. Jealous of her for being my friend I guess,” younger Harry concluded.

After a pause, older Harry prompted, “Anyone else for that list?”

“None that I can think of,” younger Harry replied.

“It is none of the ones you named, and I know you are ignoring one other name. Probably because you are ashamed of having ignored and avoided her all year, just like her brothers,” Older Harry said with a bit of disgust. “I am ashamed to say that I did the very same thing when I was your age.”

“Ron’s little sister? What has she got to do with these attacks?” Younger Harry shook his head in denial, muttering to himself, “Not sweet, innocent Ginny. It can’t be her.”

“She is as much a victim as those that have been attacked. She is not just battling the Heir of Slytherin to protect herself, but you and everyone in this school as well. Tell me, who can you think of that would be a good choice for the Heir of Slytherin? He has possessed her for the better part of this last year. If you had simply been her friend, whether she seemed to want it or not, he would have had a harder time doing this than he already has.”

Older Harry found himself scolding his younger counterpart, both for the actions they took and for the shame he had felt when Ginny had told of the difficulty of surviving her first year, and of all the times she had wanted to surrender and die because it felt as if no one loved her.
“There will come a time really soon when you will discover she means more to you than just Ron’s little sister. We cannot act to prevent her from being in danger, but we will have to rescue her. Or rather you will. Now you will need to remember what I have said. She is not to blame and is doing everything she can to fight him, but you can't tell her about any of this until after you are married.”

“Ma… ma… married? Who said anything about Ginny and I getting married?” younger Harry stammered.

“I did. And if you want to see Voldemort vanquished forever, then you will too. Otherwise he will just continue to try regaining a body and of course hoping to kill you. There is a lot you need to learn and I am going to teach you everything that I can. But some things you can best learn by experience. Now as to why Mum and Dad were killed and why Voldie keeps coming after you…” older Harry said as his younger counterpart just sat staring ahead of him, trying to process what he'd heard.

After giving his younger self some time to think, he told him the first prophecy and saw a melancholy look come over his face. “Mum and Dad knew about it, and they also knew that you were one of only two people that prophecy could have spoken of. Now there is something you need to understand, and this will be easier once our merging is complete: there is a difference between murdering and killing in defence. Voldemort is the murderer. He killed Mum and Dad simply because he wanted to kill us.

“That is the type of person we will be dealing with when the time comes. I know the pain you are feeling, but you must understand as I now do, that what must be done is not the worst option. As Dumbledore told him when they duelled in years to come, ‘There are worse things than death.’ We will merely be fulfilling a prophecy that he set in motion by attacking us.”

He calmly placed his hand on younger Harry’s forehead and transferred the memories of the prophecies that bound them to act. “The second was given by Aunt Petunia, and applies to us whether we want it to or not. The fact that Ginny is the one who is the central figure of the second prophecy is indisputable. Yes she will come to own our heart, and the rest of us, um… you, before the time is arranged. For now, concentrate on befriending her and let the rest come naturally. At first, Ron will want to oppose you being friends with Ginny, but you will have to make time to spend with her. She is important if you ever hope to have a happy life after defeating Voldemort.”

They discussed many things over the next few days, and both Harrys merged their knowledge and abilities. While this was happening, the excess magic present caused younger Harry’s body to grow to the normal size of a twelve-year-old boy. He now would stand about five foot three, and would grow to be six feet tall at full physical maturity. This was revealed to both of them by pains in the long bones of the body as they grew.

~ * ~


Madam Pomfrey had been checking on him and was surprised when Harry suddenly awoke from his long nap in the hospital wing. “Gracious, Mr Potter. You startled me just then. I need to call Professor McGonagall. She will be pleased that you are now awake. The others have not yet recovered and won’t without the restorative draught.” She excused herself long enough to summon Harry’s head of house, and returned accompanied by said witch.

Professor McGonagall lost no time in asking her first question. “Mr. Potter, how did that the beast get into your dormitory and why were you the only one petrified?”

“I’m not sure what you are asking, Professor,” was Harry’s only reply.

“Didn’t you see who or what attacked and then petrified you?” McGonagall asked.

“I don’t remember anyone attacking or petrifying me, ma’am. Are you sure that is what happened to me?”

“Well, given the resulting uproar, the school is scheduled to be closed at the end of the term. All students will be assigned to other schools to finish their magical education.”

Harry was stunned at the revelation. “Professor, if the attacker was to be stopped, would that prevent the school from closing?” he asked.

“Do you know who is doing this Mr. Potter?” McGonagall asked.

“No ma’am, but I do think I can help the investigation a little.”

“Go on.”

“Okay, first the attacks are usually accompanied by a voice that only I am able to hear. Second, as has become known since that disastrous first duelling club meeting, I am a Parselmouth so the culprit either is as well, or is a snake of some type,” he explained.
Both women nodded their heads. “Your reasoning appears sound,” McGonagall said.

Harry continued. “The one thing I don’t understand is if it is a snake, then what kind of snake could petrify its victims? It always said it wanted to kill; however, it has not managed to kill anyone yet. Is it possible that someone could be controlling it? Because on one of the occasions I heard it, it distinctly begged someone to ‘let it kill this time.’”

McGonagall stared at the wall for a minute or two and then gasped, “My word, a basilisk. I must inform the Ministry at once. As for how we found it, one of the students was awakened with the restorative draft, and identified the monster as a large snake. We deduced from the effects that it was a basilisk and that will remove any suspicion concerning Mr. Potter’s special ability.”

Turning to Harry she continued, “Mr. Potter, I truly wish that you had told either the Headmaster or me sooner. We may have averted some of the attacks as well as caught the perpetrator.”

“I’m sorry about that, but when I told Hermione and Ron-” Harry began, before he was interrupted.

“Forgive me for being angry with you. I was unaware that their opinion was what led you to keep quiet on this matter,” McGonagall said. “Still, you should have felt that you could come to me if you had a problem.”

“I tried that at the end of last year, and you dismissed us without even letting us explain why we felt the need to seek help with our problem,” Harry said.

McGonagall was taken aback that Harry felt he could not trust her to do anything about a problem. At the very least, she could have sat and listened, and offered advice about the situation that was troubling him. That is something I am going to work on once we catch this creature, she thought to herself, refusing to consider the alternative.

“Madam Pomfrey, may I go back to class now? I feel well enough to try doing my schoolwork,” Harry asked.

“We will see, Mr. Potter,” the matron said. She did a couple of diagnostic spells and was apparently pleased with the results. “I would like you to remain here in the infirmary for the rest of the day. Then if you are doing well, I will discharge you to return to your friends in time for dinner. Can you rest here for that long without complaining? Because, if you cannot I will keep you here for the rest of the term.”

Somehow, Harry was sure this was not an idle threat, so he agreed. As the day passed, he reviewed the memories and lessons his older self had provided. First the Occlumency and then he continued with the wandless magic. It feels strange learning to do this without a wand, but it will certainly come in handy when it comes to playing pranks, he thought with a smile.

Madam Pomfrey checked on him throughout the day; then at around five that evening, the matron returned and checked him over one more time. Finding no reason to keep him any longer, she reluctantly decided to release him. “Very well, you’re dismissed. It is time for dinner; you should find all of your friends there.”

As she turned to leave, and allow him to get dressed, he said, “Ma’am, may I spend a few minutes visiting with Hermione Granger. She is one of my closest friends, and I haven’t seen her in almost a month. I promise that I won’t be longer than five minutes.”

Normally she would have said no, but seeing the pleading look in his eyes, she said, “You may have ten, but then out you go. I will summon Professor McGonagall to escort you to the Great Hall.” With that she turned and left.

Harry dressed quickly and walked down the rows of beds until he came to the one occupied by the person he considered to be his older sister. She was exactly the same as he remembered her from the last visit. But a memory from the future caused him to blush slightly. His older self had accidentally walked in on her in the shower at the Burrow. He had quickly retreated, but that memory had persisted. Sister or not, she will be a gorgeous woman when she grows up, he thought, and then returned to the matter at present.

Searching carefully, Harry found a piece of parchment clenched in her hand. “Right where it should be,” he muttered softly. He retrieved it and tucked it into his pocket quickly before Professor McGonagall arrived. I think this will come in handy with certain individuals, he mused to himself, chuckling, and then finally said, “I will see you tomorrow evening, sis.”

Professor McGonagall arrived then; after a brief discussion, he showed the paper to her and told her where he had found it. She agreed that it was important and then accompanied him to the Great Hall for dinner. When he entered everyone turned to look at him and then began whispering. You would think that I would be used to it by now, he thought. He chuckled softly and with a shake of his head went to sit with Ron and the twins.

He sat and told Ron what he had found. He also told him that the restorative draught would be complete the next day and everyone would be awake. Then everyone would know who this Heir of Slytherin was.

Ron nodded and returned to his meal. Harry took a moment to eat a bite of steak and kidney pie, enjoying the flavour and texture. He knew the food was prepared in the same place, but it always tasted better here among friends than in the hospital wing. Turning to the twins he said, “Fred, George, what has been happening for the last two weeks? Everyone seems so depressed.”

“The school is closing at the end of term. The safety of the students can no longer be guaranteed,” they said in unison.

Another glance around and Harry asked, “I see you two, Ron and Percy, but where is Ginny?”

“Ever since you went to the hospital, she has stayed in her dorm as much as possible. She is afraid, like most of the students,” Fred said.

George continued the thought, “I mean, if the Boy-Who-Lived can be attacked in his dorm by the beast, then anyone can.”

Fred finished with, “Come to think of it, we’re not even sure when or how she is eating. I’ve only seen her in the Great Hall two or three times since you were taken to the hospital wing.”
Percy joined them and said, “I overheard that last part about Ginny. Harry would you please talk to her when we get back to the tower. She needs to know you are alright. It really frightened her. She has been unable to concentrate on school work or anything else since you were attacked.”

Harry nodded his agreement. “When we get back to the common room, send a girl up to fetch her and I will have a short talk with her.

~ * ~


Later in the common room of Gryffindor Tower, Harry sat facing Ginny as he told her, “It’s okay. I wasn’t attacked by the monster; you can stop worrying about me now, and get back to worrying about your schoolwork. Now if you have anything important to talk about, I want you to know that you can always talk to me, and I will only share your secrets with your permission.”

Ginny blushed slightly, but nodded to acknowledge what he said. “I am fine now. As for the Heir of Slytherin, the only thing that I think they could use against me would be a naked woman,” he commented offhandedly and chuckled.

This caused Ginny to blush like an overripe tomato. Her brothers sitting there laughing along with Harry proved to be more than she could bear; she darted from the sofa where he still sat and took the stairs of the girl’s dorm two at a time in order to hide in her room, behind the curtains of her bed.

~ * ~


While everyone else slept, Harry snuck down to the Common room and sat about writing a note he would send to Ron the next day. It took him almost an hour, but he finally managed to write one that would be helpful for all involved.

~ * ~


At breakfast the following morning, Ginny sat across from Harry and appeared very agitated about something. Seated beside Harry, Ron said, “They have the potion to restore everyone; it will only be a matter of time before the whole school knows who it is that has been attacking everyone.”

Ginny paled and softly said, “Harry, I need to tell you someth…”

Just like last time she was interrupted by Percy coming to the table and asking if she was finished eating, then dismissing her.

Harry glared at him for a moment while Ginny fled from the Great Hall. “You git! Ginny was about to tell us something important, and you just scared her off. And no it wasn’t about you snogging that Ravenclaw prefect either,” he said.

The stunned look on Percy’s face was worth the risk he took in revealing that knowledge. “No, the twins don’t know about it yet, but I’m not feeling very charitable at this moment; perhaps you can give me a reason not to tell them. I mean, just think. Percy Weasley acting more like his twin brothers than he would want people to know, only to avoid a little teasing at their hands?” Harry made the offer and threat sound as reasonable as he possibly could. Then he turned back to his breakfast, noting that the older boy had apparently lost his appetite.

Ron looked at Harry and asked, “When did you find out about Percy sneaking around with that Ravenclaw prefect?”

“Ginny accidentally told me when I was talking to her last evening. She was so worried about Percy not being able to kiss his girlfriend that she let it slip she had walked in on them snogging in an abandoned classroom around Valentine’s Day. I figured out that they had been sneaking all over the school finding alone time for themselves whenever they could,” Harry lied.

Ron drew a disgusted face. “Eww… now I need to go Scourgify my brain. That is such a disgusting picture.”

Harry’s laughter over Ron’s comment was contagious and soon he joined in while Percy sat staring wondering about what Harry had said.

~ * ~


The classes that morning dragged by and Harry was more disappointed in Lockhart’s class than usual. As they were being escorted to their next lesson, he pulled Ron aside and said, “We need to try and see Hermione.”

They managed to convince Lockhart that they would be safe enough and that he should return to his room to prepare for his next class. They quickly ran into Professor McGonagall, and she started to escort them to the hospital wing so they could see their friend.

Along the way, they passed by the wall where the warning from the Heir of Slytherin had been posted, and Harry noticed that a new one had been added below the old one. With fear evident in his voice he pointed it out to McGonagall. “Professor, when did this new message appear? And what does it mean, ‘Her bones will lie in the chamber forever?’”

At the same time, the only thought going through his mind was, Please don’t let me be too late. He was slowly beginning to panic. Must remain calm or I won’t be able to rescue Ginny, he chided himself.

Glancing at the new message for the first time, the old teacher paled considerably. “Both of you return to Gryffindor Tower,” she said while staring at the new message.

She then placed her wand to her throat and cast, “Sonorus!” Her magically magnified voice carried through the castle. “All students are to return to their houses immediately. Heads of House take a count of your charges and then meet me in the staff lounge.” She cast the counter charm and followed Harry and Ron back to Gryffindor Tower.

~ * ~


As they waited, Harry quietly moved to where Fred and George were standing and asked, “Is there anyway you two can help determine who is missing? The message about the heir has changed and the new part said something about her bones lying in the chamber forever.” He then glanced around, drawing Fred’s and George’s attention to the people in the common room and said, “Where is Ginny?”

This sent the twins into panic mode, and with a shared look, Fred raced up to their dorm to retrieve something while George explained, “Harry, we are about to let you in on the secret of our success. Please don’t tell anyone about what we are going to show you.”

Fred returned to the common room and handed his twin a worn bit of parchment. George pointed his wand at it and said, “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.” Harry forced himself to look sceptical and then surprised as the Marauder’s Map revealed itself. A quick glance confirmed what he already knew. Ginny was nowhere in the castle or on the grounds.
After a thorough examination, Fred said, “George, I can’t find her anywhere. She’s gone.”

They shared a quick look and went to tell Professor McGonagall. “Ma’am, we just checked on our siblings and found that Ginny is missing,” Fred began.

“She in not in the tower and Harry told us what the message on the wall said. We are not sure if any of the other houses are missing anyone, but we are certain that she is and no one remembers seeing her since breakfast,” George said hurriedly.

“Not even her year mates,” Fred finished.

McGonagall nodded grimly before saying, “It is as we feared. Gather your brothers, I will tell the other teachers and then contact your parents. When they have arrived, you will be called to the headmaster’s office. Now, if you would excuse me.” She turned and left, not noticing that she was being followed.

While Fred and George had distracted McGonagall, Harry quickly retrieved his cloak and made ready to follow her when she left the tower. He had written a note to Ron the previous night, explaining what he was doing and asking him to inform Dumbledore, but he had asked Hedwig to deliver it only the next afternoon so he could avoid endangering Ron by taking him along.

Ron,

I am going to follow Professor McGonagall and see if anyone else is missing. I know you may want to come, but one of us will be less noticeable than two. Besides, your mum would probably never allow me back to the Burrow if I let you join me on this adventure; and to be blunt, her cooking is too good to risk that happening. However, if you can think of anyplace your sister might be, ask the twins and Percy to help you check them. I’m following a hunch that I hope is correct, for all our sakes. I swear to you that I won’t let Ginny die, unless I am dead first. Tell your mum and dad that I’m going after her as soon as I know who may have taken her.

Ron, I want you to know how much I depend on you and that you are truly a great friend. If for some reason I can’t make it back, then please look after Hermione for me. You know that she has to be reminded to put down her books occasionally and live a little. And be certain to give her a kiss for me. She would really enjoy that. Especially form you.

Mate two things for me, first, tell Dumbledore what I have said here. Second take good care of yourself and don’t forget to kiss Hermione. With any luck I will be back with Ginny and both of us safe.

Harry


~ * ~


He followed McGonagall to the staff lounge, listening in as the assembled staff made their reports, and was relieved to find that only Ginny had been taken. So this would be similar to last time, but first he needed to remove the real danger to success, better known as Gilderoy Lockhart.

That buffoon would claim all of the credit, and go out of his way to remove Harry’s memory in order to prevent anyone from contradicting him. That couldn’t be allowed to happen, so he decided to eliminate Lockhart to begin with.

~ * ~


As Harry made his way to the toilet he thought back over his encounter with Lockhart. He had been quick and straightforward, using a shield charm before disarming him when he had attacked. He had then used the Full-body bind, tied his hands and feet to his sides in case the spell wore off, and gagged the arrogant pretender, finally storing him in his office wardrobe where he would remain until retrieved. The Aurors could then be summoned and the useless failure of a Professor could be removed to Azkaban where he belonged. If he failed to talk at the right time, Harry could always cast the truth charm on him.

His thoughts returned to the present as he entered the bathroom. He called to Moaning Myrtle and politely asked her how she had died. She told him what happened the day she passed on, and where she had seen glowing eyes. “Harry, if you don’t survive, you can come share my toilet,” she said and then giggled softly while he studied the sink to find the correct tap.

He found it quickly and then said, “Open up,” in Parseltongue. The sink sank into the wall and Harry turned to Myrtle. “If I am not back in three hours, please go to the Head’s office,” he said, “and tell either Professor Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall that I have failed to rescue Ginny Weasley in time, and that they should be ready to fight a newly resurrected Tom Riddle at his sixteen year old level of knowledge and skill. Dumbledore will know what to do. But tell him where the eyes you saw were, and how I opened the hole in the wall. Is that understood?”

“Why should I?”

Harry considered his answer for only a moment before saying, “Because Tom is the one that killed you. And if he is not stopped, other innocent children will be hurt by him. This is your chance to be a hero. Remember, give me three hours.”

“Okay. Good luck,” Myrtle said as Harry entered the tunnel leading to the Chamber.

~ * ~


The Chamber of Secrets was as horrible as older Harry’s memories had shown him it would be. Reaching all the way to the ceiling, the statue at the far end reminded him of a monkey, except it had a beard. It would have been funny but for the body of the girl that lay at its feet. He growled at the disdain that Tom showed for those he used. “He will pay for that arrogance,” he said, his harsh whisper startling him.

Making his way toward the back of the chamber, Harry knelt beside Ginny and said to her, “Don’t worry; I’m here to rescue you. Please don’t die, please.”

A noise to his left made him look up. There standing before him was the sixteen year old soul fragment of his most hated enemy. The man who later murdered Harry’s parents, and who currently endangered the life of his best mate’s little sister.

Careful to display only shock and surprise, he said, “Tom, what are you doing here? Help me; we have to get Ginny to safety.”

The apparition of Tom sneered, “Why should I? I am in no danger.”

“Tom, there is a basilisk in here and we need to get out before it comes back.”

“Don't worry; it won’t come until it is called.”

“What are you talking about, Tom? How are you here?”

Tom chuckled. “Because a worthless little girl poured her heart and soul into my diary, it was so easy to encourage her to write, and all I had to do was pretend to care about her. As time went by, she told me more and more about how her brothers ignored her, how alone she felt, and how she would never be good enough for the great Harry Potter, the-Boy-Who-Lived, to notice a little nothing like her. That made her so much easier to control.”

We did notice; she never seemed to want to be around me, older Harry commented in the back of younger Harry’s thoughts. Younger Harry nodded as he saw the truth of that. “But why would you want to do all of this?”

“So that I could meet you of course. Ginny told me all about you. She told me about how you had defeated a great wizard when you were just a baby. How she had loved you since she was just a little girl, from the first time she heard your story. Ha, I always said love was worthless.

“Now you are another matter entirely. How could a little boy of no obvious talent, spawned from a Mudblood witch, be able to defeat the greatest wizard who ever lived?” Tom paused to study Harry.

“What do you care about Voldemort? He was after your time.”

“Wrong! Lord Voldemort is my past, present, and future. Surely you didn’t think I would keep my worthless Muggle father’s name. No! I fashioned a new name for myself, one which one day every person would fear to speak.” As he was saying this, he used Ginny’s wand to spell his name in the air, TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE. He then swished the wand in a circle and the letters formed the new words, I AM LORD VOLDEMORT.

“Now the great work of Salazar Slytherin will be completed, and all of that dirty-blooded filth will be removed from Hogwarts. But first I will kill you. And then I will deal with that old fool Dumbledore. That is if he ever has the courage to face me. The mere memory of me was enough to drive him from the school. I am the greatest wizard of all time.”

Harry shook his head and said, “No Tom, Dumbledore is the greatest wizard of all time. I’m taking Ginny and leaving now, and I won't let you stop me.”

At that moment, Harry heard the most beautiful sound he had ever heard. Both he and Tom stared as a magnificent bird swooped low and dropped something at his feet before circling to land on the top of the statue. Harry picked up the item at his feet, finding it to be the Sorting Hat.

Tom sneered and said, “Is this the best Dumbledore can send his champion, a ratty old hat and a songbird? She won’t be going anywhere Potter, and neither will you.” Turning to face the statue, he then hissed, “Speak to me Slytherin, Greatest of the Hogwarts four.”

The mouth of the statue began to open and Harry, realizing that the basilisk would most likely come out of it, placed the Sorting Hat on his head and thought with all his being, HELP ME!

Well you don’t have to shout, came the reply. Here, this should help you. With that, Harry felt something solid hit him on the head. Hard.

He ripped off the hat and looked. There in the hat was the hilt of a sword. The pommel stone was a large, red ruby, just as the memory from older Harry had shown him. He quickly took the sword and hid behind the nearest column to avoid the gaze of the basilisk.

Hearing Tom hiss at the giant snake to leave the bird and kill him, Harry chanced a glance. He only saw the shadow of both the basilisk and the Phoenix battling when the snake hissed back and clearly said, “My eyes! That bird destroyed my eyes!”

“He’s in front of you!” Tom hissed just as Harry sprinted around the column and set himself with the sword pointed in front of him. The basilisk reared back and then struck with blinding speed. Harry felt the pressure for only a moment as the blade hit the roof of the serpent’s mouth. He tried to withdraw his arm when the cartilage gave way and the sword slipped into the monster’s brain, but was not quick enough to avoid being bitten. A fang broke off into his arm, and he quickly pulled it out before grabbing the sword from the beast’s mouth and stumbled to where Ginny lay.

Harry collapsed beside her and softly whispered, “I’m sorry Ginny, but I may not be able to rescue you after all.” Everything was going dark and he found himself looking forward to seeing his parents soon.

“Oh, don’t worry, Potter, she will be joining you in only a few minutes. Even Dumbledore’s bird knows you are dying, it’s crying for you.” Tom’s sarcastic voice came from far away. However, Harry’s vision seemed to be clearing; his breathing and heart beat felt stronger.

Just then Tom yelled, “Get away from him you fool bird,” and cast a spell at Fawkes. “I forgot that phoenix tears can heal, even curing poison. No matter. I have almost drained the girl of her life and will soon be back to my full strength. Then I will deal with you personally.”

“I don’t think so Tom,” said Harry, who had unobtrusively pulled the diary from Ginny’s grasp. He swiftly raised the fang above his head to bring it down with all the strength he could manage. It pierced the cover and drew forth a fountain of ink along with a scream from Tom Riddle.

He slowly stood and brandishing his wand said, “Wingardium Leviosa,” and the diary floated into the air. He returned his wand to his hip pocket and, gripping the sword with both hands, took a swing at the diary, cleaving it into two pieces. The apparition that was sixteen-year-old Tom Riddle screamed in agony and exploded into a fine mist before dissipating entirely.

After looking around to make sure the coast was clear, Harry knelt by Ginny and began to gently shake her shoulder in order to awaken her. After ten minutes of gentle but firm shaking without a positive result, he slipped into a trance in order to communicate with his older self and ask for advice.

~ * ~


Older Harry was quietly sitting in a meditative pose as he waited to be asked the question they both knew younger Harry was thinking. Finally he answered without prompting. “Two years with Hermione Granger as your best friend and you still don’t know that Muggle fairy tales almost always have a magical background. Here’s a hint. To awaken a princess from a magically induced sleep, her rescuer must…”

The blank look on younger Harry’s face quickly vanished as he blushed, not just a common red but a very deep crimson; something even all of the Weasleys combined would never be able to accomplish. His voice was no more than a whisper as he finished the hint. “…kiss her.”

Older Harry nodded, and continued, “You should really hurry, or the both of you will catch your death of cold in here. Oh, be sure to give her your school robe. With her clothing wet from lying in that water, she will need it to keep warm.” And with that, younger Harry awakened from his trance, to find himself still kneeling beside Ginny’s prone form.

Slowly he brushed her hair from her face and leaned to give her a kiss on the cheek. Just then older Harry said, “On the lips, you git,” and then chuckled softly.

More nervous than he could ever remember being in his entire life, he leaned down and gently pressed his lips to hers. It only lasted a few seconds, but the electric shock that passed through him left no doubt in his mind that he would definitely do this again.

Before he could go further, Ginny regained consciousness and lay staring at her saviour as he pulled away from her lips. Both of them were blushing brightly, so he said, “In all of the stories I heard as a child, the only way to awaken a princess from an enchanted sleep is to kiss her. I guess they were telling the truth.” He glanced away shyly.

Ginny blushed and looked away. The fact that she was sitting in an underground room in wet clothes soon made itself apparent when she began to shiver, and she hugged herself in an attempt to keep warm. “I’m so cold,” she said. “Why are my clothes so wet?”

With his attention drawn to her clothes, Harry noted the small bumps evident on her chest because the wet material of her blouse was sticking to her. He felt a little embarrassed at the thought of them developing into a nice set of breasts one day. He shook his head to clear it of that idea and replied, “You were lying in a puddle of water, for more than an hour. Here, use my robe.” He stood and removed the stated garment and handed it to her.

Although she was embarrassed more than she ever thought possible, Ginny accepted the offered clothing and donned it without complaint. Better to cover up her embarrassingly underdeveloped womanhood, than let the man of her dreams see for himself that she had nothing to offer, she thought.

Harry laughed softly at both of them blushing and said, “You shouldn’t worry; we both have a lot of growing up to do before I will be worried about how big or small your body may be.” Turning to Fawkes to hide his deepening blush from Ginny, he continued, “I know you would have no difficulty carrying us out of here. I could climb out easily enough by myself, but with Ginny, I am afraid that I would be too exhausted and we both need some medical attention soon. Will you carry us out please?”

The phoenix studied them for a moment, and then seemed to come to a decision. He flew in front of the two students and flicked his tail feathers. Harry wrapped Ginny in a tight one-armed hug and said, “Hold on as tight as you can. We need to get back to the toilet quickly so that I can tell Moaning Myrtle we are okay and she doesn’t need to raise the alarm.”

The trip back up the tunnel passed far too quickly for both of them. Though neither would admit it at that time, they both felt that way for the same reason, and seemed reluctant to release the hug. Back in the girl’s toilet where the entrance of the Chamber of Secrets was located, Harry turned to face the opening and hissed, “May the Chamber of Secrets be closed and sealed forever, never to be opened again.”

Ginny’s frightened look nearly broke his heart when he returned his gaze to her. “What did you just say?” she asked.

“I told it to close and never open again,” he answered. “Now we need to get you to your family. They are certainly worried sick by now, and I can probably look forward to a good tongue lashing from your mum for not letting the teachers handle this.”

They stared at each other for a moment, and then Harry enquired, “Do you think we could get far enough from here that a Howler wouldn’t reach us?”

Her mumbled answer, “Probably not,” was enough to break the tension and both of them chuckled softly. “But maybe it would be worth a try,” she added in jest.

Harry’s reply shocked her. “Not now, but maybe we can try it sometime when we are older. Come on, let’s get up to the Head’s office so you mother doesn’t start tearing the school down in an attempt to rescue her only daughter.” He wrapped his left arm around Ginny and led her up to the office, stopping only long enough to change the message on the wall so that it read:

The Chamber of Secrets has been sealed forever.
Allies of the Heir, Beware…

Reviews 85
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear