Search:

SIYE Time:2:33 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dumbledore’s Biggest Mistake
By harry_ginny1234

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, R
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 85
Summary: A second Prophecy is discovered, which details the requirements of victory. Only one little problem... it was found too late. Now Harry must decide whether or not return to the past in an attempt fulfil this prophecy. If he does, then when should he return, and how will he go about fulfilling the prophecy .

I am reposting the first 3 chapters after they are being reviewed by some new betas who are helping me with the rewriting of these chapters. Please continue to enjoy this story.
Hitcount: Story Total: 60944; Chapter Total: 6403





Author's Notes:
It is with the help of the many people who have volunteered their time to assist me with this story by serving as Betas that make it possible for me to post it for all who wish to read it. They have not only offered advice on some points of the story, such as spelling, grammar, etc. They have also taken a single paragraph and written or helped me write a full two or three pages one paragraph turned into a whole scene. I must thank them excessively because without their help this would only be a plot bunny hibernating on my family desktop.
With that said, the usual warnings and diaclaimers apply. characters will act increasingly out of character from canon.





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Molly Weasley only wrote in her diary on infrequent occasions. Up until the time that her youngest son, Ron, had started school, there were gaps of up to a year between entries. However, as Harry Potter became a greater part of the life of her family, bringing with him all sorts of adventures, the frequency of entries increased. Of particular note was the entry of February 26th, 1997.

Diary,
Something miraculous happened today. My son Percy has returned. In addition, to my great surprise he brought his wife Penelope formerly of the Clearwater family. They have been married for eleven months and she is very pregnant. She is due to give birth around the fifteenth. They brought word of her parents' deaths as well as many other wizarding families. I have done my best to bring her into the family so she will know we all love her no matter what.

Only a few days ago I promised Ginny that we would allow her to marry Harry before the Ritual so that she could fulfil her vow to herself. A few ministry officials have arrived to help with the shutting down of Hogwarts as a school and turning it into a fortification to protect the defenceless. Along with them came an advisor to the Minister who has requested the honour of officiating at the wedding ceremony.


Percy was not having a good day.

His return to his family had started off well, and his parents had welcomed him back without too much fuss. They’d shared hugs and a few tears, and Percy was relieved that his self-imposed estrangement seemed to be over. Penelope’s pregnancy had helped placate Ron and the twins; Bill and Charlie especially seemed delighted with the prospect of being uncles.

Ginny, on the other hand, had made it quite clear that she would not forgive Percy until he’d apologized to Harry for the awful things he had said and written about him for the last few years, and refused to speak to him.

Thinking that this would be the easiest of the apologies to make, he’d waited until he’d found Harry alone in the library and had started grudgingly apologising for his actions until Harry interrupted him.

“Listen Percy, I know you’ve always been focussed on your career, and I understand why you were quick to accept Fudge’s lies. We’ve never really gotten on well, so I don’t really blame you for believing him. So if you’re apologising to me for that, then fine, I accept.”

Percy was about to thank him and leave before Harry’s gaze turned steely. “Honestly Percy, you really are a complete git! You turned your back on your own family, what the hell is wrong with you? D’you know what I'd give to have grown up with a family even half as good as yours?”

Percy found himself unable to meet Harry’s glare and looked away in embarrassment. How could this outsider make him feel this ashamed when his own family hadn’t done so? He heard a noise and looked back to see Harry rising to begin pacing the room as though trying to decide something. Percy hoped he wasn’t expecting a reply to what had sounded like a rhetorical question.

Harry must have come to a decision as he turned back to him. “All right Percy, this is what we’re going to do — I’m going to accept that you want to be a Weasley again, and treat you like one, and you’re going to bloody well act like one because it won’t be Fred and George’s pranks you’ll be worrying about if you don’t. I won’t let you hurt them again.” Harry held out his hand. “Deal?”

Percy scowled and asked, “What gives you the right to determine whether I am accepted by my family again?”

Harry’s response was unexpected, “I never said I had that right, I merely said you will regret hurting them like that if it ever happens again.” A quick breath to steady himself and Harry continued. “Whether it pleases you or not, understand that they are the closest thing I have ever had to a family and the pain they went through because of your arrogance will not happen again. You are as much a part of my family as the rest of them, and your actions hurt us all, not just mum and dad.” When he had finished, Harry put out his hand again to shake.

Percy swallowed and took the offered hand. “Deal,” he replied.

Harry nodded and started to leave, but turned back as Percy called after him, “And Harry… Thank you.”

“Alright Percy, just… don’t do it again. Ok?” Harry responded.

“I understand, Harry,” was his reply, “and I can only hope that my own children will not be as cruel to me as I was to my parents.” He nodded to the younger man as they left the room, Harry going to Gryffindor Tower and Percy returning to face his family and hopefully find himself forgiven by Ginny.

5 March 1997
Diary,
The castle seems so deserted. Only about forty-five people remain here as we await the end of this horrible war. Amid the chaos of preparations to defend ourselves, some surprising things have happened.

The relationship between Ginny and Harry has blossomed and she is really looking forward to being married to him, if only for a short time. The wedding originally was supposed to be only Harry and Ginny, but other couples have asked and received permission to join them in planning this big event.

Ronald and Hermione are really looking forward to the chance to display their feelings for each other, as they have never been able to before. I am so excited for them to have finally admitted how they truly feel about each other.

Bill and Fleur have been planning their wedding for almost a year, and have decided to marry now rather than continue to wait for summer as they had planned. I know that the success of the time-travel ritual will make it impossible for them to carry out their original plans, but I was looking forward to the grandchildren they would have given me. It appears that I will have to wait for the next great adventure as Albus calls it.

Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood are the surprise couple. When Luna’s father was killed for his republishing of the interview with Harry in the Quibbler in early January, I thought she would never recover from the loss, but being with Neville has worked wonders for her in this horrible time. Augusta Longbottom was not happy about the match, to say the least, but she is beginning to trust that Neville has made the right decision.

Finally, Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks are one of the luckiest couples I have ever met and I am very happy that they are getting married. I told Tonks that she should give him time and he would come around. Remus, for his part, is quiet and brooding most of the time, but is still a very good man and, I am happy to say, a good friend, mentor, and role model for Harry, even despite his “furry little problem,” as he refers to it.

Well, I’ll close now, because Arthur is coming to bed and I have a lot to do before the girls’ bachelorette party tomorrow night.


Molly laid her small diary aside as she settled in for what she hoped would be a good night’s sleep. The previous three nights had been spent wandering the halls with another member of the Order; now she planned to sleep for the entire night and finish the preparations for the weddings tomorrow along with the other mothers. As she settled in, unhappy thoughts of all the young children that would never have a chance to attend Hogwarts, or any other magical school, plagued Molly; she snuggled close to Arthur in an attempt to find comfort and calm her chaotic thoughts.

6 March 1997
Diary,
Morning came quickly and those of us that are working to shore up the defences around Hogwarts received news of the war from the south of England. The Ministry has been attacked and though they repelled the assault, the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister is missing, and believed to be dead. This is no great loss according to many, who still remember her persecution of our children during the last school year. Diagon Alley has also been attacked and most of the remaining shops were destroyed. Gringotts, while not being destroyed, was severely damaged, and will not reopen for at least a month in order for repairs to be completed.

We mothers of the brides-to-be busied ourselves with decorating the Great Hall for the reception to follow the ceremonies tomorrow. Andromeda Tonks, Apolline Delacour, surprisingly even Jane Granger, and I directed the house-elves’ efforts with flawless assurance that it will bring happiness to our lovely daughters.

The day passed quickly and after a simple dinner, we chased the men out of the Great Hall and the upper levels and settled in for the bachelorette party. We started with games and then gave what presents we could to the brides-to-be.

Poor Ginny found herself blushing at the silky and somewhat sexy undergarments that I managed to give her. Shocked that I would give such skimpy clothing, she blurted out to the whole room, “And what exactly am I supposed to do with this?”

Of course, I took great pleasure in telling her, “Ginny dear, it is not what you do with it that matters; it is what Harry does that is so important.” Of course, I said this with a sincere and a knowing smile that caused Ginny to blush even more at the thought of what I meant. She glanced at Hermione and they both smiled shyly because her friend had received something similar from her own mother.

All five of the brides-to-be sat and listened as some of the older witches recounted the events of their own wedding nights. They all listened in rapt attention as first their mothers, and then the other women present told of the excitement and, in some cases, fear of our own wedding nights.

I had originally planned to end this, but Arthur just told me of some of the events that happened at the bachelor party that I think I will include here. When the grooms-to-be gathered in the dungeons to celebrate, Bill and Ron took quite a ribbing from the twins. Remus and Harry talked about the upcoming weeks and the expected nuptials. Neville sat with some of the older men and listened to their advice on how to please his young bride on her wedding night.

Like us, they were celebrating without any alcoholic beverages so that they would be sober in case of an attack on the castle. I normally would be glad they weren’t getting drunk, but just this once I find myself feeling sad that they’d been cheated out of this rite of passage into adulthood.


The early afternoon of March seventh found Percy outside the door to the room his father was using to prepare himself to walk his only daughter down the aisle. Percy knocked on the door and was answered quickly. “Who is it?”

“It’s Percy, father. May I come in?” Arthur calmly opened the door and invited Percy in motioning him to sit down and join him to a drink. “Don’t you think that it is a little early, father?” he asked.

“Normally I would say yes, but this once I am indulging in a couple of shots of Firewhisky,” Arthur said, then seeing the questioning look in his son's eyes, he continued, “I find myself a bit nervous, because I want today to be the best it can possibly be for your sister, but we had very little time to plan this and there are still so many things that can go wrong.”

Percy sat by his father for a few minutes in silence, then he asked the questions that had been troubling him for the past few days, “Are you sure about this, father? Are you sure they should be getting married this young?”

“Yes Percy, I am sure this is the right thing to do. If your worry is about the upcoming ritual, we searched for weeks, and found no other means of finishing this. Your mother has expressed her feelings on the subject. We have exhausted every possible option but the ritual.

“Now as for the marriage, your mother and I have discussed it repeatedly, and we feel that it is the best thing for both of them. I know you’re worried about Ginny’s feelings and the family’s reputation, and I also know your apprehensions about Harry. However, this really is the best possible choice in this situation.”

“Father, my main worry is if they truly understand the pain Ginny will suffer through if the ritual fails.” Percy quieted then glancing at his father, he continued, “I know it really isn’t my place to make the decision, but surely you have your own reservations about this.”

Arthur sat and considered his son before answering him, “Yes, Percy, but try to understand, your mother and I feel this is the best choice. Both of them seem happy, and this way Ginny gets her childhood dreams fulfilled. She understands she will lose him soon, but she is strong and willing to accept that as a consequence of her choices.”

Turning his attention to the gathering visible through the window, Percy sat for a moment, and finally said, “I understand now, Father. I still don’t like it, but I understand your decision.”

“That is all I can ask son,” Arthur said, and then with a chuckle he continued, “Now, what advice did you have for your brothers who are about to lose their bachelorhood?”

He returned his attention to his father and a knowing smirk spread across his face. “I told them to run as fast as possible and maybe the two witches would let them live if they stayed out of sight for a long enough period of time. Ron looked as if he would die of fright, but Bill just laughed and reminded me that Fleur is one-quarter Veela, and he did not want to get her that angry with him.”

Arthur nodded and, with a chuckle, said, “I think Bill knows you too well son. Well, it looks like everything is set; you should get to your seat.” With that, they both left the room, Arthur joining the other fathers, and Percy going to his seat by Penelope.

Harry, Ron, Remus, Neville, and Bill stood in a small group waiting for their brides to join them. While they waited, Remus began to entertain them with stories of James and Lily’s wedding. One thing Harry requested was to hear about his father’s bachelor party. Remus obliged and had all five of them laughing uproariously as he came to the end of the tale. “Sirius never knew what hit him,” he laughed. “I tried to warn him not to have exotic dancers at the party, but he was the best man, and thought he knew better. Lily trusted James and Sirius about as far as she could throw Hogwarts. Two of her friends were there in disguise, and the hexes Lily put on James and Sirius the next morning had the rest of us laughing for days afterward.”

Looking at Harry, Remus concluded his story, “I often wondered why Lily ever took pity on James so quickly. She released him from the hex she had placed on him during the reception. Sirius on the other hand had to wait for a whole two weeks for them to return from their honeymoon. I guess we should be thankful too, or young Harry would not be sitting here beside me to listen to this story.”

Just as Remus finished the tale, the ministry official overseeing the marriages called the grooms to stand at the altar in front of the gathered well-wishers. They had discussed the situation beforehand, and decided to have the weddings in order of the bride’s ages, starting with the oldest. As such, Tonks and Remus would be married first. Second, Bill and Fleur would take their marriage vows. Third, Ron and Hermione would join their lives together in marriage. Fourth would be Neville and Luna who were both nervous and excited. Finally, Harry and Ginny would finish the ceremony by joining their hearts and lives to one another.

A few bridesmaids led the way down the aisle. They were followed by the mothers, who were escorted by the groomsmen. Ted Tonks was the first father to escort his daughter down the aisle. Reaching the front, he kissed her on the cheek and, taking Remus’s right hand, he carefully placed her right hand into it. He then moved to stand by his wife as the next father and bride came down the aisle.

Fleur and her father followed the same steps as the Tonks had. After placing his daughter’s hand in Bill’s, Monsieur Delacour stepped aside to stand by his wife and await the rest of the brides to walk down the aisle. Turning to his wife he whispered, “N'est-elle pas resplendissante?” His wife found she could not speak, so she only nodded.

Henry Granger walked down the aisle with Hermione on his arm. Though he had always hoped he would be able to give his daughter away in marriage, he had never thought it would be this soon. He was not sure of all the details, but he knew that his little girl was certain of the outcome of the events; this was the right choice.

Ron Weasley stood waiting for Henry to place Hermione’s hand in his, and to be honest, he looked as if he were about to faint from fear. Henry smiled at him in a reassuring manner, and after kissing Hermione on the cheek took his right hand, and placed Hermione’s in it. He then walked to the side to await the remainder of the ceremony.

Luna was next, escorted by Professor Flitwick. She smiled at Neville and the other couples as they approached the altar. Flitwick smiled at the youngsters, and carefully took Neville’s right hand in order to place Luna’s right hand into it.

The tiny professor then moved to stand with the rest of the staff as the final father-daughter pair began to walk down the aisle. Ginny looked dazzling in her wedding gown and Harry found himself having to be reminded to breathe. Hermione giggled at him, while Bill and Remus shook their heads at his reaction to seeing her.

Arthur glanced at Ginny and softly said, “Last chance to turn back and change your mind. Are you really sure you want to go through with this?”

“I’m sure daddy,” Ginny whispered back. “In fact, I have never been this sure of anything in my life. He’s finally going to be all mine.” Her innocent smile was beautiful, but the mischievous sparkle in her eyes told how happy she really was.

Arthur nodded but remained silent as he escorted his only daughter to the altar. After kissing her on the cheek, he took Harry’s right hand, gently placed Ginny’s hand into it, and stepped to the side to join his wife.

All of the couples waiting to be married stepped back and settled themselves in seats prepared for them while Remus and Tonks stepped before the ministry official. The words they spoke were simple and left no doubt of their feelings for one another. As their part of the ceremony ended, they exchanged rings and then placed the tips of their wands together.

When they had done this, the official then touched their wands with his and said, “As these two have joined their hearts and lives, so let these wands never be used by their owners against each other in anger or hatred. You may now share your first kiss as husband and wife.” When their lips touched, a soft white glow appeared around them.

The kiss ended and Remus and Dora moved to take the seats previously occupied by Bill and Fleur, who had stood to take their turn before the official. Harry noted a slight difference in the ceremony as Bill and Fleur had apparently come up with some small changes in their vows to one another. Harry remembered that at the bachelor party Remus had told him to expect this. He returned his attention to the couple as they shared their first kiss as husband and wife. Again he noted the soft white glow that surrounded them as they kissed.

Ron and Hermione moved to trade places with Bill and Fleur, who took the vacated seats. Their ceremony took a little longer than the previous two, but was still over quickly. Their kiss however brought a new development it was also white, but small streaks of red, gold, and blue could just be glimpsed. This caused an audible gasp from the people in attendance.
Neville and Luna were up next and Harry mentioned to Hermione and Ron about the difference in their auroral display as they took their seats. She whispered that she would tell him what it meant during the reception.

Ever the imaginative intellect, Luna had found an old ceremony that differed from all the others, but was also special in its own way. Neville and Luna took vows to remain together throughout their lives, and eternity. The kiss that followed surrounded the couple in a soft white light that had traces of red, gold, blue, and just a hint of black.

Harry looked questioningly at Hermione for a moment, then he and Ginny stood to take their places in front of the officiator. Stepping apart momentarily they waited as he conjured an altar and cushions on each side for them to kneel upon. They both knelt across the altar from each other, and waited patiently for the official to give the instruction to clasp hands and begin their vows.

Finally, the time came for Harry and Ginny to exchange their own vows. The officiator began by saying, “These two have requested to exchange their own vows of love before the final commitment. Following that I will perform the ring and wand binding. Ginevra, if you would begin.”

Ginny took Harry’s hands in hers and intertwining her fingers with his watched as the officiator flicked his wand and their hands were bound together by soft silk cords. With a nod, she began: “Harry James Potter, I, Ginevra Molly Weasley, hereby offer to you my body, my mind, my heart, my soul and my magic, for now and for eternity. My body I offer to you as friend, lover, and wife that I may be the mother of your children. My mind I offer for the knowledge and wisdom I bring to our union. My heart I offer so you know I will always love you. My soul I offer that we may be together always, and my magic I offer that I may give you all of myself." The words seemed formal, almost like a spell.

Harry smiled at the slight blush on Ginny’s cheek. Then he said, “Ginevra Molly Weasley, I, Harry James Potter, accept the offering you make here. And in so doing, I hereby offer you my body, my mind, my heart, my soul and my magic, for now and for eternity. My body I offer as friend, lover, husband, protector, and provider. My mind I offer for the knowledge and wisdom I can bring to our union. My heart I offer as the proof that you are the only person for me. My soul I offer that we may be together always. My magic I offer that I may give you all of myself and to seal our pact of love."

Ginny finished the exchange of vows by saying, “Harry James Potter, I, Ginevra Molly Weasley, accept the offering you make here. May our love be eternal."

Another flick of his wand and the officiator banished the cords and said while motioning them to rise and step back while he also dismissed the altar, “The rings please.” The ring bearer handed the rings to the official, who then gave them to the happy couple. Harry lovingly slipped Ginny’s ring onto her finger, then she did the same for him, all the while staring into each other’s eyes.

The official then instructed them, “Join the tips of your wands,” which they did. Placing the tip of his wand to their joined wands he said, “As this wizard and witch have pledged their lives to one another, let them never use their wands in anger against one another. You may now share your first kiss as husband and wife.”

Everyone expected the soft white light that lit appeared around the couple as their lips touched. What they did not expect was the myriad of colours that were intertwined within it. Well, that and the fact that it formed an orb about two hundred feet across encompassing the entire pavilion in which the wedding was being held. It was also different because everyone inside heard the song of a phoenix interspersed with the roar of both a lion and a dragon.

Even after the couple had stopped kissing, the orb remained for almost an hour. Slowly dimming, and fading from sight.

~*~


There are two special events that occurred at this time. The first was directly witnessed by Death Eaters spying on Hogwarts. The wards around the castle began to pulse with power and glow with a blinding intensity. The second was related to it though that was not known at the time. The dark mark worn by each Dark witch or wizard began to burn, the pain that this caused increasing to the point that all of them lost consciousness.

That pain was caused because, at an Unplottable location during a meeting with his inner circle, Voldemort grabbed his head, fell to ground, and went into convulsions. He managed to gasp one pain-filled word before losing consciousness as well. That word was, “Potter!”

~*~


Tho se within the pavilion however remained blissfully unaware of these incidents. The official smiled kindly at the two youngsters before him and made them turn to face the assembly while calling the other four couples forward. Instructing them to face the attendees he said, “I now present to you, Mr. Remus and Mrs. Dora Lupin, Mr. William and Mrs. Fleur Weasley, Mr. Ronald and Mrs. Hermione Weasley, Mr. Neville and Mrs. Luna Longbottom, and Mr. Harry and Mrs. Ginevra Potter.” Everyone applauded as each couple shared another kiss and waited for the festivities to begin.

It took a few minutes to get the group back into the castle for the reception, but once there the guests made certain to wish each couple all the happiness they could want. They entered the Great Hall and sat at their tables, to enjoy a well prepared meal.

Before the meal commenced, each cake appeared on separate tables, and all the assembled guests marvelled at the magnificent decorations. After the meal, there were toasts to each new couple and each cut their cakes; this was followed by the tossing of the bouquet and garter and other individual family wedding traditions. They mingled and visited with everyone until they couldn’t wait any longer, then left for their own quarters. The party wound down, and guards were set, as the newlyweds settled in for the night.

~*~


Harry and Ginny lay wrapped warmly around each other. Harry had awakened early the morning after their wedding to find his new wife resting on top of him, their bodies entangled comfortably. She mumbled softly in her sleep as she woke to her first full day of being married.

Harry drew in a deep breath and smiled to himself as he looked at the mane of red hair spread over his chest. Slowly and carefully, he brushed her hair from her face and heard her gentle laugh as she turned her gaze to meet his. Then she shifted her body to get more comfortable, and laying her hands on Harry’s chest, propped her chin on the back of them and said, “Good morning handsome.”

“Morning, my beautiful Gin. How are you feeling?” he replied.

She smiled and said, “Um... a little uncomfortable but I will get used to it. Now we need to talk about a few things, okay?”

“Okay, what do you want to talk about first?” Harry asked.

“Well,” Ginny shifted slightly, and finally rolled off Harry. Sitting up, she continued, “Actually, the very first thing I need to do is go to the loo.” She giggled as she stood up and walked to the small washroom and with a mischievous smile closed herself in.

Later, after both had taken care of their morning routine, Harry and Ginny sat on the edge of their bed lost in thought. Finally, they both smiled and said, “We need...” They both paused and looked at each other. Then Harry said, “You first.”

Ginny nodded and began, “Harry there are things that you need to understand about me before you go back.”

“Okay,” Harry replied. “What do I need to know?”

“First, I am sure that you remember how I was always blushing and ducking out of the room. The truth of it is that I was a very outgoing person, except when you were around. I was so afraid that I would say something wrong and you would never like me that I tried to avoid you as much as possible.”

“I remember,” Harry said.

“Well, you will need to help get me past that as quickly as possible,” she concluded.
Harry tilted his head and said, “Was there any reason that you can think of to help me with a solution to this situation.”

“Well,” Ginny began, “I think if we are able to share something special early I will be able to overcome my embarrassment of being around you. You will have to do something to help me get over it as quickly as possible.” Ginny considered, and then said, “I was very self-conscious about my physical development at that time, among other things. I thought that I was too small to do what the older girls were doing. I felt very limited and unable to... um... well... impress you.”

“Oh,” Harry said with a mischievous smile. “I can certainly think of a few things to help with that problem. And since I definitely need to be able to talk with you sooner, I will try very hard to befriend you and make you feel more comfortable around me.”

“Good, I think that will go a long way towards helping us get together quicker,” Ginny said. “Second is the train ride at the start of your third year.” She faltered then, not knowing how to broach the subject.

Harry had to think for a few moments before he remembered and said, “You mean Ron telling you to go away?”

“Yeah, I can’t say which hurt more, Ron telling me to go away, or you not saying anything to him about it,” Ginny said as a look of pain passed through her eyes.

Ginny moved to the other side of the bed with her back to her husband before saying, “Harry, why didn’t you say something? It had only been three months since the Chamber. I needed a friend so badly, and though Hermione was kind to me and tried to be mine, Ron, my closest brother in age, didn’t want me anywhere around him.” She took a deep breath to steady herself in order to continue her explanation. “And you were a hopeless case; it was two years after that before you finally decided to really talk to me again.” This took Harry by surprise, and he sat wondering what had happened to the happy feelings of a few moments before.

Ginny’s shoulders shook as she fought to avoid crying. Seeing this, Harry slowly gathered her into his arms and holding her against him said, “Ginny, please don’t cry.” Then thinking to himself, Why am I complete rubbish with crying girls? And aloud again, “Shh, it’s okay, I’m here now.”

This was definitely the wrong thing to say, because Ginny stood up, and freeing herself by turning around to face him, she shouted, “That’s the point! You were always there for Ron or Hermione, but never me!” Choking back a sob she continued, “You never even acted like you knew I was alive.” Finally taking a deep breath, she concluded, “What changed between us? What was so wrong with me that you took so long to notice me?”

Harry caught her by surprise as he stood, grabbed her by the shoulders, and drew her into a tight hug. He held her tightly while she gave in to the emotions she’d pent up for so long, and sobbed on his shoulder, until she had cried herself out and loosened her own tight grip on him. He embraced her for a few seconds longer before releasing her from the hug and taking her face in his hand and saying, “Look at me!”

Ginny didn’t want to make eye contact with Harry, but finally she raised her eyes to meet his. Looking directly into her eyes, he said, “Ginny, from the time I first met you, you have been the person I most fancied. And yes I know that it took me years to understand the feelings I have for you. Yes, I tried to find other girls to share my time with before you and I started being friends, but then, you always seemed to have someone special in your life while I was alone.”

Harry paused to draw a breath in order to calm himself before he continued, “Did you know that I can still remember the first words you ever spoke to me? And though you may not have thought of this, you were the first person my own age to ever speak kindly to me.” Ginny blinked at Harry’s choice of words.

Harry, his hands still on Ginny’s shoulders, guided her to the edge of the bed, and by gently applying pressure encouraged her to sit down. He then knelt in front of her so they could be at eye level with each other. “Are you afraid my feelings for you aren’t real? Did you not hear the words we spoke yesterday? I could no more hurt you than I could cut out my own heart.”

“But you did hurt me,” Ginny said softly. “So many times I thought we were finally going to get together, and then something happened and I was left wondering why you didn’t notice how I was looking at you, or how I felt about you.”

“I know,” Harry sighed. “I missed so much that could have made us both happier, and I am extremely sorry about that. I must say though that I don’t think you are completely blameless in our relationship missteps either.”

Ginny sat quietly trying to calm down. She had not expected this conversation to bring up such pain, and it was clear that there was a lot that they still needed to discuss. She closed her eyes and shuddered visibly before continuing, “You really need to understand more about me. And realise that I am not just one of those girls who worships you like a god or something.”

“I know, Ginny,” Harry said. The shame that he felt for having ignored and hurt her for so long was creeping into his voice. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Ginny looked at him for a moment, and then said with a smile, “Harry, though it still seems hard for me to believe, for better or worse, I am your wife. What were we talking about?”

“About how we were both being idiots these last few years,” he said with a sheepish grin.

“Yes, you were,” she replied with a scowl. “Okay, third thing.” She paused to think for a moment. “You will definitely have to invite me to the Yule Ball your fourth year, before Neville can ask me. It was at that point that I actually began to give up on there ever being an ‘us’.”

“Okay...” Harry started to speak, but Ginny cut him off as she continued, “I cried for an hour when I realised that I had missed out on a chance to go as your date to the ball that Christmas. I was so sure that you would never want me. Hermione told me to be patient, but how could I be when I had just missed what was likely to be my one real chance.”

Tired of the depressing feelings, Harry began without any preamble, “You may have been small when you were younger.” He said as his hands began to gently massage her body. First he gently rubbed her shoulders, and then moved on to more sensual caresses. Finally, he gently cupped her bare breast, one in each hand and said, “But you have certainly developed quite well since then,” staring deeply into her eyes.

They both rose and Ginny pushed Harry to take a seated position. When he did, she stood beside the bed and looked longingly back into Harry’s eyes before acting. She first pulled the blanket down that they had so carefully tucked in, and then she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer to her. Finally, she leant forwards, covered his lips, and kissed him properly… They spent the remainder of that morning and most of the afternoon making love and talking about everything they could think of.

~*~


Late in the evening, they joined Ron and Hermione to discuss the events of the past two days. Ron pulled Harry aside and said, “Mate, I know you are going back to correct a mistake that left you marrying Ginny too late, but could you find the opportunity to get Hermione and me together sooner if possible? She and I have only been married for one day, and I don’t know how I ever got along without her.”

“Yeah Ron, I think I can try to do that,” his friend replied. “Any particular method you want me to use to get the two of you together sooner, or should I just lock the two of you in a closet during the winter holidays our third year, and not let you out until you have both snogged for at least an hour?”

“That sounds like it might work with the two of us back then,” Ron said. “If all else fails, feel free to do it.”

“Okay, you asked for it,” Harry said with a gleam in his eye that promised much mischief. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you, mate.”

As Hermione and Ginny approached from where they had been talking with some of the other women, Harry remembered that Hermione had promised to explain the variations of the auroral display during the weddings the previous day. Turning to her, he said, “Hermione, you said that you would explain the different colours yesterday.”

“Oh, that’s right,” she replied. “We all got so busy that I forgot, sorry.” She blushed when she remembered what had caused her to forget. “What did you want to know?”

“Well, to begin with,” Harry began. “When Remus and Dora kissed, also Bill and Fleur for that matter, they were surrounded by a soft white orb of light.”

“Yes, that is normal at a magical wedding. From everything I have read, it is caused by the merging of the couple’s magic.”

“But for you and Ron, and then Neville and Luna, the orb had other colours in it. Like red, gold, blue and black. What do those mean?”

“Well, red represents courage, and blue is for intelligence and truth.” Hermione drew a breath and continued, “The gold is often a symbol of wisdom and fertility. The black is a little worrisome because it normally symbolizes death, but could also symbolize stability.”

They all stood together talking about the ceremonies, and Hermione took that moment to say, “I wish I had more time to research, but…” Her words trailed off at the thought of what would happen in two weeks. She then brightened and said, “Harry, you and Ginny had the most spectacular auroral display of the day. It consisted of every colour imaginable. And it lasted for an hour after your kiss ended.”

Harry and Ginny were only slightly surprised by that fact, but were interested in knowing what each colour signified.

“The most prominent colour was white, but all of them were very strongly present,” Hermione said. “Red, blue, gold, and black we have already discussed, but there was also pink symbolizing love, brown symbolizing order, and orange symbolizing vitality with endurance…” As she spoke, Harry couldn’t help but be amused at how easily Hermione fell into her ‘teaching mode’. “…Then there is yellow symbolizing joy, happiness, and intellectual energy, green symbolizing life, fertility, and well-being, purple symbolizing magic and mystery…” Harry had to bite his cheek to keep from chuckling aloud; would Hermione be able to finish the list and take a breath, or would she pass out from lack of oxygen first? “…Of course indigo symbolizes intuition, while white symbolizes purity, virtue, and cleanliness, and finally there is grey, which symbolizes security, maturity, and humility.”

~*~


At an Unplottable location in England, a dark-robed man knelt before his master and offered his report on the absence and apparent failure of Peter Pettigrew.

“Master, Pettigrew has most definitely failed in the task you gave him. As you already know, Potter is alive, and we can only assume that this means Pettigrew is dead. What little information he managed to get out to us indicates that they were searching for a means of sending a message or messenger back to the past in order to alter the outcome of your battle with Potter.”

“Interesting, wouldn’t you agree, Draco?” the Dark lord addressed the young aristocratic wizard.
Glancing around the room, in order to buy himself a few moments before he answering the unexpected question, Draco quickly returned his attention to Voldemort and said, “I think we should arrange a surprise visit for them, Master.”

“As do I, Draco, as do I. I shall plan one for later this month. You are all dismissed.”

~*~


T he previous two weeks had passed all too quickly, albeit extremely enjoyably for the young couples. None of them really wanted it to come, but the day of the vernal equinox arrived, and found Harry and Ginny wrapped comfortably together under a warm blanket, and each other’s arms. At 5:30 that morning, Kreacher entered the room to wake the happy newlyweds. “Master Harry, Master Harry, you is needing to wake up now.”

“What is it Kreacher?” Harry replied sleepily.

“Master Harry, you and Mistress Ginny must get out of bed now. Your mud... err Muggle-born friend says you needing to prepare for the ritual. Kreacher has already laid out clothes for Master and Mistress. Kreacher will return to the kitchens now to prepare your breakfast.” The elf left with a pop and Harry set to the tasks of the morning.

Looking around the room led Harry to decide that the first task was to wake Ginny. Kneeling at the edge of the bed, he stretched across it and kissed her on the lips.

“Mmmm, g’way Harry, m’sleepy,” she grumbled. Harry kissed her again, eliciting a more vocal response, “Oh, baby, please let me sleep. I’m too tired for that now.”

Harry smirked, realizing what she meant. Then he said, “While I would dearly love to be doing that also, Ginny dearest, we are needed and should be getting dressed so we can get on with the day.”

“Oh, Harry, I want to sleep and so do you.” Ginny drew the blanket up over her head while rolling over to face away from Harry.

Realizing he might not survive long enough for the ritual to take place, Harry grabbed the edges of the blanket and said, “Okay, love. You give me no other choice.” With that he gave a jerk and left a very irate red-headed witch without her nice warm blanket.

“HARRY JAMES POTTER! I am going to do worse than hex you, if you don’t let me get some sleep!” Ginny yelled at him when he pulled the blanket from the bed, exposing her beautiful naked body to the chilly room. Ginny jumped out of bed and glared at him. “Give me that blanket back, NOW!” she shouted as she hugged herself and started to shiver.

Taking pity on his wife, Harry stepped up to her and wrapped both of them in the warm fabric. Ginny again started to complain that she was too tired, but Harry placed a single finger to her lips before saying, “We need to get ready for today. We have much to do, and very little time left to do it.”

Ginny stood quietly for a moment and then, wrapping her arms around Harry’s neck, pulled herself up so she could wrap her legs around his waist. “The floor is cold love,” she said, by way of explanation. Harry easily shifted his weight to better support her and walked toward the bathroom where he started the shower and set it to the correct temperature with his wand.
Finally, the meaning of Harry’s words finally pierced the sleepy fog around Ginny’s brain. “Oh no, it’s today isn’t it?” she asked as tears began to form in her eyes and slowly trail down her cheeks. “Why did it have to come so soon?” she asked to no one in particular. She buried her face in the root of Harry’s neck as her tears flowed.

“I wish there was another way,” Ginny said to Harry before he lifted her down to stand in the hot shower, and, turning her around, began to massage her shoulders.

“I know love,” he said softly. “I wish we could stay together forever, but that is what I am doing this for isn’t it?” Whispering in her ear, he continued to massage her shoulders, “I will always love you Ginevra. Never forget that.”

“I know Harry, and I won’t forget. I promise.” They finished their shower in mutual silence, and gave into the desire to share a last chance for intimacy, even though neither wanted to admit to themselves that it was their last time. After, calming down from their emotional high, they quickly gathered their clothing and dressed. Lastly, they made their way to the Great Hall, and ate the breakfast Kreacher and Dobby had prepared.

Harry reflected on the events that led to Kreacher’s change of heart concerning him and the others. It had occurred the day after Harry and Dumbledore had journeyed to a cave on the coast that Tom Riddle had used as a child to frighten and bully other children. It had proven to be a worthless trip as they were beaten to the item they were searching for by someone calling him or herself ‘R.A.B.’

They had returned and the next day Kreacher had seen the fake locket. He asked immediately, “What is you doing with good Master Regulus’s locket? He is leaving it for the Dark Lord to find. Why is you having it?”

Harry and Dumbledore had both stared in shock as they were told about the events leading up to the death of Regulus Arcturus Black. Kreacher cried and argued that he was not supposed to tell anything, but Harry caught on to what was being said, and asked, “Kreacher, what happened to the locket you were given to destroy?”

The answer came as a growl, “Kreacher was unable to do as Master Regulus had commanded so I is placing it in the drawing room. Master Sirius wanted it thrown out; Kreacher rescued it and took it to his den, where it was stolen by Mundungus Fletcher, along with many important family heirlooms. Kreacher is not knowing where it was taken.”

“Well, I will know the location of that one,” Harry said. Then to Kreacher, “We are trying to destroy that item ourselves. However, Dung was in Azkaban when it was opened by Tom and his followers. Thank you Kreacher, you have made it possible to fulfil Regulus’s last command to you. But not in this life I am afraid.”

“What is Master Harry saying?” Kreacher immediately perked up at Harry’s comments to him. “Will Master Harry help Kreacher fulfil his duty?”

“I am sorry Kreacher, but with Mundungus likely dead, it is most likely that Tom has the locket back in his possession. But you may have this one.” Harry offered Kreacher the fake locket, and continued, “I will take care of that problem for both of us the next time around.”

“Oh, no, is Master Harry going to use time magic?” Kreacher asked.

“Yes, I am.” Harry nodded to the house-elf. “I must do it for many reasons, including this one.”

“Master Harry, Kreacher will serve you and your Mistress Ginny willingly, but I is still thinking that you is a worthless blood-traitor. However, you is doing your best to do what you can to help Kreacher, so Kreacher will serve you willingly.”


Harry smiled at the memory and turned to talk to Ron and his other friends. Kreacher had almost become a house-elf version of Molly Weasley in cooking for his new Master and Mistress. “You is not eating enough. You is needing to eat more,” he would say as he piled Harry’s and Ginny’s plates high with food.

Eight fifteen that morning found Harry and Ginny in the Gryffindor boy’s dorm room he had occupied in his second year. This is where the ritual was going to take place because he would be returning to that same spot in the past. Waiting for them were Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, Slughorn, and Flitwick. In addition, Remus, Hermione, Ron, Molly, and Arthur were also there.

Dumbledore stepped forward and said, “Harry, there is one more thing we must take care of before you can attempt this ritual.” Drawing his wand, he pointed it at Harry’s scar, saying, “Horcruxius Revealus.” This caused it to glow a sick green, and gave him a headache as well.

“As you can all see, Harry’s scar is what is known as a Horcrux. It will need to be destroyed before Harry can succeed in his attempt at the time ritual.”

Hermione asked the obvious question, “Professor, why is that necessary? He’s leaving his body behind to go back in time, so would it affect anything either way?

Dumbledore smiled and said, “Mrs. Weasley, a Horcrux will use every means at its disposal to survive. It is attached to Harry’s body so it must be destroyed or it will prevent Harry from dying to complete the ritual.” Then turning to the others he said, “Horace, you will need to aim very carefully, and Harry, you must lie absolutely still,”

Harry took a breath and said, “Hermione, place the Full-Body Bind on me please. It will make it easier to not move at all.”

“Petrificus Totalus,” said his friend as her wand shot a quick beam of light at Harry. His arms snapped to his side as his entire body became stiff and rigid.

Ginny turned to Dumbledore and said, “What are you trying to do, Headmaster?”

“There are only a few ways that are known methods of dealing with a Horcrux, Mrs. Potter. The only option available to us however that can still leave Harry a chance of survival is to use a Basilisk fang on the scar directly. It couldn’t be performed before the end of his fourth year because Tom Riddle in searching for a method to escape death managed to provide a means of keeping him alive if he wished to remain so. Voldemort accidentally made killing him nearly impossible.”

All of them gasped and began to speak, but Dumbledore cut them all off, “I have already witnessed this to insure that Mr. Potter will survive to complete the ritual.” He held up a time-turner to emphasize his point. “You should all recognize this time-turner, which Mrs. Hermione Weasley used in her third year to attend all of her classes. I kept it in case it would ever be needed. Now Horace, if you would, please.”

Slughorn stepped forward and knelt beside Harry, carefully placing the tip of a Basilisk fang to the scar on the boy's forehead. The apologetic smile which spread across his face was enough to frighten most people, but Harry had no means of reacting so he simply lay there, waiting. “I am sorry, Harry. Please try to remain calm,” he said, and then proceeded to push the fang into the scar.

A high-pitched scream reverberated around the room as a shadowy vapour exited the scar and dispersed. Almost immediately, Fawkes appeared in a ball of flame and, standing over Harry, cried three tears into the scar. Slughorn stood quietly and moved toward the wall.
A moment later, Dumbledore stepped forward and, pointing his wand at Harry’s head, he said, “Legilimens.” He found himself in Harry’s mind, and looking around, smiled as he saw his student seemingly waiting in the mist.

Approaching him, he said, “Harry you need to return so we can do the ritual. It was necessary to destroy the Horcrux; please come back, or I will let you deal with the angry redhead to whom you are married. I think it would be better here where she can be placated, than waiting for her to follow you to the Next Great Adventure.”

Harry turned and said, “I’m coming, Headmaster. Give me a minute or two to make sure everything is working in here.”

“Not a problem,” Dumbledore said as he withdrew from his mind. Turning to the rest he said, “It is done. Mrs. Potter, he needs a little encouragement to return to us.”

Ginny looked at the prone form of her husband and moved to kneel beside him. Her wand waved as she cancelled the Full-Body Bind, and she began gently stroking Harry’s cheek to bring his attention back to her. Then she said, “Harry, come back to me, I need you here with me now. Please return, please.”

Harry took several slow, deep breaths and opened his eyes. His gaze first went to Ginny and he said, “Hey love, you said you wanted me back.” The cheeky grin on his face earned him a slap on the shoulder from his wife who then hugged him. Looking over her shoulder, he asked Dumbledore, “Is that all, Professor?”

“Almost Harry,” Dumbledore said. “Excuse me Mrs. Potter, I need to do a revealing charm on Harry, and then you may have him back.” Ginny moved to the side and Dumbledore said, “Horcruxius Revealus.” This time there was no light emanating from the scar. “Mr. Potter, I can say without a doubt that the Horcrux inhabiting your scar is most definitely gone.”
Ginny moved back to Harry and smiled down at him, while gently brushing his hair out of his face and away from his forehead. The headmaster continued, “Now that we have that taken care of, Harry, I am sure you have certain things that others have asked you to do for them. But you must remember not to let your younger self change too much or your memories will do him no good.”

Harry sat up, looked from Dumbledore to stare significantly at Slughorn, and said, “I thank you for your gentle hand Professor.” Slughorn nodded in response and excused himself to attend to his other duties, but had a very obvious smile on his face as he left the room. Everyone watched him go and then turned back to Harry and Dumbledore.

“Headmaster,” Ginny began. “I was wondering, how much of a change do you think Harry will be able to make?”

“I am unsure, Mrs. Potter. However, I will venture an opinion that the less Mr. Potter tries to change, the easier he will find things for guiding his younger self. Any major changes he is planning to make and the longer he waits to make them, the better it will be for him in the long term.” Dumbledore nodded to each one in the room.

At that moment, the door creaked open, and they all looked toward it. No one was seen to enter or exit, and a few seconds later the door closed of its own accord. Everyone turned their attention to Dumbledore when he said, “That was my earlier self leaving to continue the little situation I started.”

Remembering the time-turner, Harry said, “You did say that you saw this happen to insure it would work.” Dumbledore’s affirmative nod was the only answer he gave.

Harry turned to Hermione and said, “Well, sis, what is it that I need to do?”

Hermione was now in her element, but before she could begin, Ron brought a smile to all their faces by saying, “And, begin lecture mode.”

“I am not that bad Ronald, and you know it.”

Ron gave his wife a knowing smirk before saying, “Hermione, love. Try to understand that I have known you long enough to know when you are going into lecture mode.” Her quirked eyebrow only made Harry laugh too. Ron continued, “You get this twinkle in your eyes that resemble two little suns flashing. And they are like two signs saying ‘Teach... Instruct’ repeatedly.”

Harry, seeing an argument starting, quickly said, “And we love you for it.” He glanced significantly at Ron before continuing, “I know you and Ron want to get on with your foreplay, but I need you to remind me of everything I am supposed to do today.”

Hermione glared at him for a moment as his statement sank in, and then her cheeks tinged pink and she said, “I will have you know...” then paused and thought better than saying it in front of all the people present. Turning to Ron she hissed through gritted teeth, “We will discuss this later.”

Harry shook his head and was about to call Hermione’s attention back to him when she said, “Harry, you need to listen very carefully. These instructions must be followed exactly.”

“Okay,” Harry said.

Moving to the patch of floor that was covered in runes, Hermione pointed to a circle, which looked to be three feet in diameter. “You will need to stand here and using this knife slit open your hand.” She mimed doing this. “Then you will have to let three drops of blood fall on each rune, in this specific order.”

Hermione pointed at one of the runes, “Starting with this one, which indicates justice, and proceeding through mercy, compassion, love, honour, peace, integrity, truth, wisdom, fate, passion and ending here with time.” Hermione pointed at each rune as she named it.
Hermione concluded with, “Finally you will need to recite the following words twelve times: ‘I do plead with Kronos, lord of time, to find me worthy of a key to my past that I may heal what has been broken.’”

Harry tried to repeat it, “I do plead with Kronos, lord of time, to find me worthy of a key…” He paused looking unsure of himself before saying, “What was that last part again?”

Hermione stared at Harry for a moment before taking pity on him. She walked to where she had left her bag by the door, and quickly found a parchment, ink, and quill. “Here,” she said. “Let me write it down for you.”

“Thanks Hermione,” he said as she handed him the parchment. “I would probably foul everything up if I don't have this.”

Turning to Ginny, he said, “Love, I must say that I would feel better if you would go with Penny and guard th...”

He found Ginny’s wand under his nose as she growled, “If you finish that thought, this ritual will be of no use to us because you will be unable to complete it through the pain you will be feeling. I am not a child who needs to be protected from the worst parts of life. I am your wife, and that means I stand by your side through the good and the bad. Now I am staying with you until the end, and that is final!”

Harry nodded and said, “This will not be a pleasant thing, but if that is your decision, I won’t try to dissuade you further. The truth is; I think that I will feel better if I have you here near me.” He then glanced at the others in the room. “Sir, you advised me to be careful what I change in order to preserve my memories for as long as possible, but as we have discussed, it is the little things that if changed will lead to something better.” Taking a deep breath, he continued, “I aim to make small changes along the way, rather than one or two big ones at the end of the opportunity hopefully to be provided by this ritual.”

Looking at each person who had asked him to change things, he recited each of their requests, “Ron and Hermione both asked that they be encouraged, but not forced, to get together as soon as possible. I will begin to do so at the first opportunity.”

Then to Remus, “I am unsure what revealing Peter sooner will accomplish, but I will try to make things easier on Sirius, but do so as quietly as possible.” Harry’s mischievous smile echoed his parents’ so much that Remus was caught off guard for a moment.

Then to Ginny, “I know enough to plan very carefully how, when, and where to make the most of each situation I will face in getting our younger selves together. I should have only minor amounts of trouble convincing myself of your importance. But once that is done, it will be full steam ahead.”

“Yeah, I bet,” Ginny said. “Now love, we need to get a last few hours for ourselves before the end.”

Dumbledore looked stricken by Harry’s plan, but said only, “I advise against making those changes, Harry. But if that is your plan, then I will leave you with a code word to give my younger self to insure you are accepted for who you are.” Dumbledore leaned down and whispered in Harry’s ear before straightening to his full height. Whatever else he might have said was cut-off by a loud wailing alarm.

“The wards,” the headmaster said. Then pointing his wand to his throat said, “Sonorus.” His voice was amplified throughout the school as he announced, “The Death Eaters are attacking, everyone at their post.” Then he again pointed his wand to his throat and said, “Quietus.”

Returning his attention to Harry he said, “This may very well be the attack I have feared for many months. It will take him a few hours to break through the wards, especially after the way they were strengthened by yours and Ginny’s bonding kiss. You should have the time you need to perform this ritual. Good luck, Harry. Please try to remember two things: the first is that no matter how bad things get, they can always be worse. The second is that no matter how unloved you feel, there are always those that love and care for you, who want the best for you above all else. Oh, one more thing. Love is truly the strongest emotion magic can call upon. Remember who you love and why, and you should have little difficulty achieving your goals.” Dumbledore and the others left the room after each gave Harry and Ginny a hug.

After the others had left, Harry turned to Ginny and asked, “How long do you think the wards will hold?”

“I’m not sure,” was her reply. A glance around the room, and then at a list Hermione had given her just before leaving, she said, “There are still a few preparations we need to make before the ritual. We have best get started. These should take a couple of hours. I hope the wards hold until we can finish.”

Harry also looked at the list and grimaced, “Very true love, we should get started.” Then they began to inscribe the remaining runes in the floor and wall around the original twelve that Hermione had previously written. “I wish we could have done this earlier, but the instructions say that these have to be inscribed on the day the ritual is performed.”

~*~


H arry and Ginny had been working in the old dorm room for just over four hours when a different alarm sounded, meaning that the wards had fallen. They heard the announcement that everyone should prepare to defend the castle for as long as possible.

Harry could visualize the locations of each group of defenders, and knew that they had spent the last four hours setting traps, and inscribing explosive runes to slow the Death Eater advance and to make it as costly as possible in number of Death Eater lives. He glanced at his watch and noted that it was ten minutes after one in the afternoon.

Harry knew that most of the older adults were gathered in the area of the entrance hall. This group would include Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, and many parents and teachers. As Gryffindor Tower was the only part of the building occupied, other than the teachers’ residences, it would be the most heavily defended. Bill and Fleur were on the second floor preparing to fight for not only their lives but also their futures. Charlie, Percy, Fred and George had accompanied them. Penelope, having given birth two days before, was staying with Madam Pomfrey to help protect the children who did not yet have wands. The Grangers were also in the Hospital Wing with them.

Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna were waiting on the fifth floor to ambush and delay the Death Eaters even more. They were accompanied by Hagrid and Fang. Harry thought to himself, Right bloody coward that dog may be, but you back a frightened animal into a corner, and it will come out fighting through something or someone. In this case, I hope it is a Death Eater.

Next was in the Gryffindor common room; Molly and Arthur Weasley were guarding their youngest and her husband, their son in all but name. They were ready to defend their young charges with the ferocity of lions.

Those two remind me of real lions, Harry thought, and then smiled as he remembered a nature show he had once watched at Mrs. Figg’s house about lions and their over-protective nature toward their young. The announcer on the telly had said, “What usually happens to those stupid enough to endanger the young of large predators is they rarely live to tell the tale. Moreover, those that do live seldom have a night where they sleep without horrifying nightmares as they relive the attack in their dreams.”

Ginny sat by the door gripping her wand and throwing furtive glances at the circle of runes. Harry had begun his preparation and was even now slitting his hand with the knife. She wanted to help with the fight, but she also knew that staying to protect Harry was more important. She was the last line of defence, and Harry would complete this ritual even if the cost was her own life.

“Harry,” Ginny said, “I love you.”

He smiled at this and with a roguish grin said, “I know. Somehow, I’ve always known.”

Ginny continued with a sad smile, “Very funny, Potter. Oh, and just so you know, the next generation of Potters is growing inside of me as we speak.”

Harry looked at her for a moment with tenderness in his eyes, before saying, “I know, my love.” Then he returned to the ritual.


They occasionally heard the screams of the injured and dying and Ginny watched the Marauder’s map to monitor her family and the advancing Death Eaters. She watched as the dot marked Bill Weasley vanished from the map. Oh Bill, she cried silently as she lost her favourite brother.

Twenty minutes later, Ron, Hermione and the others with them had fallen, as had almost all of the others in the castle. Seven minutes remained to complete the ritual, and Harry, obviously tired, began to chant the words Hermione had given him, for the fifth time. Each time was getting harder and harder to repeat them, but Harry was trying.

A moment later the entirety of Gryffindor Tower shook and the doorway to the common room shuddered with the blow of a great magical force. Ginny shook her head, knowing that her parents would hold the common room for as long as they could. A second and then a third blast shook the tower before the portrait hole gave way.

Death Eaters scrambled into the room only to find themselves in battle with two extremely angry adults. The fighting had lasted for three minutes before Ginny distinctly heard a high-pitched, almost nasal, voice say, “Avada Kedavra!”

She heard her mother scream, “Arthur!” and then the voice said, “Another red-haired mother dying to protect Potter. Too little, too late.” The dreaded curse was shouted a second time and Ginny allowed herself to shed a tear for her parents. Then, forcing herself to focus on the task at hand, she wondered why the voice sounded so familiar. It hit her, it was Tom Riddle’s voice she was hearing. And nothing seemed to frighten and anger her more at that moment than knowing the monster was after her husband.

She turned to Harry and knew he still had to repeat the chant twice more. She took a calming breath and said, “Harry you must complete this ritual no matter what. I will see you on the other side.” And with those words, Ginny stood, opened the door, and transformed into her Animagus form. A lioness now stood where moments before had been a young witch, bent on getting some measure of vengeance.

When he saw Ginny transform, Harry muttered, “So that is how she planned to help me in this war. I really wish she had told me, it might have been fun to learn to be Animagi together. I wonder if she forgot to tell me that particular secret or if there is more we still have to learn about each other.” Finally a last thought, “When did she have the time to learn that trick anyway?”

Harry saw his beloved Ginny leave the room to try and slow Tom for the precious few minutes that were still needed. He finished the chant for the eleventh time, and, forcing himself to draw a deep breath, began for the twelfth and last time. As he spoke the words, he heard the short but brutal battle on the stairs as Ginny met two Death Eaters and sent them to the next world. Her battle with Tom was almost as short. Harry heard a spell, which sounded familiar, but he could not place it.

Just as he finished the chant for the last time, Harry saw the door open and Ginny’s body float in ahead of Tom. She was alive, but for how long was hard to say. Harry instinctively knew this, and found he was relieved to be ending his part in this story to go back and rewrite the book to the best of his ability.

Tom saw him and said, “Everyone you sent to protect you is dead Harry, except your young friend here, and she will only live long enough to entertain my Death Eaters at the victory celebration tonight...” He trailed off as he saw what was happening. Harry was kneeling inside a circle of twelve runes and was apparently dying. He suspected this did not bode well, but he had no intention of ever losing to a bunch of fools who denied what true power was and instead put their faith in love.

Ginny saw Harry’s body collapse into a heap and everything seemed to stop at that very moment. Harry stood before her for just a second and said, “I am never going to lose you, no matter what I must do.” He said other things that Ginny never really understood, but knew in her heart that she no longer needed fear the Death Eaters’ party and victory celebration.

A pulse of exceedingly bright light seemed to draw all other lights and colours into the centre of the circle where Harry lay as time stopped.

~*~


Harr y knew only exhaustion and fatigue, as his body, which had only moments before seemed so heavy, now seemed to be light and floating free. He landed on a hillside overlooking a great featureless plain with a city in the distance. Immediately, he felt drawn to it. However, being the stubborn teenager he was and remembering what Hermione had told him, he chose to lie down on the grassy hill, and rest his head to wait until he would wake in his younger body.

He must have dozed because he was startled by the sound of two throats being cleared. The next thing he heard was, “Harry James Potter, we are here to welcome you to the Next Great Adventure. Please follow us.”
Reviews 85
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear