Search:

SIYE Time:0:36 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dumbledore’s Biggest Mistake
By harry_ginny1234

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, R
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 85
Summary: A second Prophecy is discovered, which details the requirements of victory. Only one little problem... it was found too late. Now Harry must decide whether or not return to the past in an attempt fulfil this prophecy. If he does, then when should he return, and how will he go about fulfilling the prophecy .

I am reposting the first 3 chapters after they are being reviewed by some new betas who are helping me with the rewriting of these chapters. Please continue to enjoy this story.
Hitcount: Story Total: 60936; Chapter Total: 6346





Author's Notes:
I most certianly need to thank my betas who have not only reviewed the story, but have actually written a few scenes in this and preceeding chapters. I can't remember all of their names, but you know who you are. now here it is "Finally" chapter 3. As always, characters will act increasingly out of character from their canon counterparts.
If you haven't reread the prologue through chapter 2, please do so before you continue as they have been edited to better fit with the direction of the story. (a few new scenes)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Harry?” Ginny’s voice sounded rough as she fought to control her crying. “You’re awake?” Sitting up, she shouted, “Madam Pomfrey, Harry’s awake.” She turned back to him. “Harry, they thought that you might never wake up. I knew you would, but...” She began to sniffle and threw her arms around him, hugging him as tightly as she could.

Madam Pomfrey bustled up. “Miss Weasley, I must ask that you control yourself. I know you are excited about Mr. Potter waking, but you need to move away from him so I can check him over. Please go to the bathroom and clean yourself up.” Shooing Ginny away, she began checking on Harry.

After five minutes in the bathroom, Ginny returned. “Is there anything I can do, Madam Pomfrey?” she asked.

“Yes, Miss Weasley, you can retrieve a strengthening potion from the potions cabinet for Mr. Potter. Also, it would be prudent to give him a nutrient potion and an energy-restoring potion,” responded Madam Pomfrey.

Ginny ran to the potion cabinet, and gathered the potions as the nurse had instructed. Returning quickly, she handed the potions to her and stood by as Harry drank a dose of each one. She found herself having to hide a giggle at the repeated sour faces Harry made as he complained about Madam Pomfrey while she was checking him to ensure his injuries had healed properly.

After fussing over him for another five minutes, Madam Pomfrey turned to Ginny. “Miss Weasley, keep a close eye on him please, I need to tell the Headmaster and Professor McGonagall that Mr. Potter is awake.”

“Yes, Madam Pomfrey.” Ginny turned back to Harry and sat on the edge of his bed. She felt mildly embarrassed at her earlier display of emotion and looked away from him. In order to hide her mild blush while she tried to compose herself, Ginny began speaking to the opposite side of the room, “You must be wondering why I was using your shoulder for a handkerchief.”
She paused to look at him through her hair she had pulled over her face, before continuing, “Well, I… um... I think that... Oh, how do I say this?”

“What is it you are trying to say?” Harry whispered to Ginny, because his voice was not yet strong enough to carry at his usual volume.

“That they found a way to solve the problem.” Ginny buried her face in her hands and she took three deep breaths in an effort to compose herself.

Harry sat quietly while waiting for Ginny to say more. During their silence Madam Pomfrey returned and, after pausing to say that Professor Dumbledore would be here to speak with him in a few minutes, she continued to her office.

Harry took only a moment to ponder the situation before he sat up and gathered Ginny into his arms. “It’s okay. You’re okay. Please don’t cry, Ginny. Please don’t cry,” he whispered softly into her ear.

“Harry, it’s all my fault,” he heard her say as she wept softly into his shoulder, allowing herself to give in to the need to cry.

“What are you talking about?” Harry appeared confused. “What is your fault?”

“If...” Ginny paused and drew a breath to calm herself before she tried again. “If I had given you more attention last summer I might have realized that you really were developing feelings for me.”

Harry’s confusion continued to grow as to what Ginny was talking about. “Um... Ginny, I’m not really sure what you are blaming yourself for, but I think you said that they found an answer for our problem. What can you tell me about it?” he asked, not wanting to upset her more than necessary; however, this proved to be the wrong thing to say as she burst into renewed tears and, pushing away from him, ran to the opposite side of the room where she had been sleeping, and pulled the privacy curtain. Harry lay back wondering, How could I have said that differently in order to comfort her in stead of making her cry?

Madam Pomfrey saw the scene and sat, shaking her head. Ginny Weasley will need to calm down or she won’t be of any more help in the Hospital Wing, she thought before returning to her desk to update some of the students’ medical files. She was still working on this when Albus Dumbledore, accompanied by Arthur and Molly Weasley, arrived to speak with Harry.

Harry watched as Molly looked around for Ginny, before returning her gaze to him. “Harry, dear, where is Ginny?” she asked.

“I’m not sure what I said, but she was distressed and when I asked about what Hermione had found, she started crying and then ran over there,” he said while pointing toward the curtain Ginny was hiding behind. “She closed the curtain and she hasn’t come out,” he explained.

“Oh dear,” Molly began. Walking to the curtain, she called out, “Ginny, dear, it’s Mum. Can I talk with you?”

The three men waited and watched as Molly tried to coax her only daughter to come back to sit with Harry while they tried to answer some of his questions. After two minutes of gentle coaxing, Ginny looked around the curtain. A quick, quiet exchange between the two followed, before Ginny joined her mother back at Harry’s bedside. She stood by the privacy curtain as her parents and the Headmaster settled in to talk with Harry.

Molly watched as the Headmaster waved his wand and four comfortable armchairs appeared. Then Dumbledore, Arthur and herself sat in a chair, but Ginny ignored hers in favour of sitting curled in her mother’s lap. Molly instinctively cradled her as her daughter hid her face in her shoulder, whispering to her mother that she continued to feel embarrassed and ashamed that her actions or lack thereof would cost Harry’s life.

She started to answer Ginny when Dumbledore interrupted. “Well, Harry. I am very glad to see you awake. I will not hesitate to say that you gave everyone a horrible fright. Many of your friends are quite worried about you; some to the point of near hysterics as in the case of Mr Longbottom. Others were more content to wait patiently, as in the case of Mr. Ronald Weasley.” Dumbledore nodded at Molly and Ginny and then continued, “I believe you said that Miss Weasley has already informed you that a means of solving our problem has been discovered.”

“Well, yeah...” Harry responded, seeming to hesitate before explaining, “but when I asked her for details, she started crying, saying something was ’all her fault,’ and ran to the other side of the room.” Pausing, Harry turned his attention from Dumbledore to glance at the Weasleys and then asked, “What I don’t understand is how this could all be Ginny’s fault? We didn’t know about the second prophecy until after it had expired.” He finally addressed her directly, “Ginny, why are you so terribly upset?”

It took a few moments for the girl to answer, and only her mother heard what she said. As she listened, Molly’s expression changed from her usual kind expression to a horrified one. To those watching, it was obvious that she didn’t like what Ginny had said. Dumbledore looked at her and asked, “What was that, Ginevra? We didn’t hear you?”

After listening to her daughter mumble her answer again, Molly repeated it for the others in the room, “She said that in her first year, Tom Riddle told her she would be responsible for Harry’s death.” Ginny buried her face in Molly’s shoulder and appeared to be trying to vanish as her mother continued, “He told her that Harry would die because of her; because she had been such a stupid, selfish, little girl.”

Molly looked at the three men present. Yes, she thought, Harry is a man now, and no longer the seemingly helpless boy I told how to get onto the platform, before saying aloud, “It also does not help that she just found out the price of this ritual succeeding, and she is really upset by the thought that Harry will have to die in order to accomplish it.”

Molly stroked Ginny’s hair and did her best to comfort her daughter as only she could. Lifting her chin to face her, she added in as gentle a voice as possible, “Young Lady, we have discussed this repeatedly. You are not to blame for this situation. If we had been aware of that prophecy before it had to be fulfilled, you know that everyone would have made the best of the situation in order to help both you and Harry live a long and happy life together. Now do try to calm down.” With that said, she returned to stroking Ginny’s hair as she hummed a soft tune.

Dumbledore had resumed speaking when a squeak from the Weasley matriarch diverted their attention to her daughter floating from her lap to Harry's. The young man immediately wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a very tight hug and rocking her as he whispered softly; Ginny struggled to pull away for a few seconds before giving up and collapsing against Harry’s chest.


After a few minutes of gently rocking the distraught girl, Harry thought of a way to distract her. Waiting for Ginny to calm down, he took her by the shoulders and held her at arm's length and said, “Ginny, look at me, please.” Moving one hand to her chin, he gently lifted her head to bring her face to his. “I need you to go find Ron and Hermione for me and bring them back with you as fast as possible.” Ginny stared into his eyes for a full minute before wiping her face, jumping to her feet, and hurrying from the Hospital Wing.

Harry lay back on the bed and winced in pain from his little-used muscles. “I take it from everyone’s reaction and what was said, that the solution involves my death,” he said with just a hint of sarcasm.

“Yes, Harry. I am afraid that it does,” said Dumbledore.

“I see. Okay, how long have I been in hospital this time?” he asked no one in particular.

“About four amazingly slow weeks,” Molly Weasley said softly. “We were beginning to think you might never wake up.” Tears were clearly evident on her cheeks.

Harry noticed that Dumbledore seemed reluctant to talk about something so he waited. The Headmaster finally said, “Harry, I am not looking forward to the discussion we now must have, so I guess I will begin by asking you how much you remember about the attack?”

“I remember they came from the lake. I assume they used Portkeys and left the same way,” he replied.

“Harry, did anything seem unusual about the attack?” Arthur asked.

“Other than them not trying to either kill or capture me?” An affirmative nod confirmed Harry’s thinking and encouraged him to continue. “They were very open about their attack; they seemed to be trying to draw attention to themselves and away from someone or something else” Glancing at each adult, he came to the now obvious conclusion. “They were a diversion, but for who or what?”

Harry listened carefully as Dumbledore confirmed his thoughts, “The attack in which you were injured was indeed a diversion. Its purpose was to distract our attention away from a hidden passage into the castle, in which Peter Pettigrew entered.”

“Two days after the attack, he placed Mr. Thomas under the Imperius Curse and proceeded to question him. The questions were mostly about you, but some were about Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore sighed before continuing, “After two days of questioning, Pettigrew killed Mr. Thomas, then used a dose of Polyjuice potion and impersonated his victim in an attempt to first assault and then place Miss Weasley under the Imperius in order to have her kill you.”

Harry cursed and said, “I know I should have allowed Remus and Sirius to kill that worthless rat when they first caught him.” As he said this he became very agitated. Dean’s death is just one more I am responsible for, the thought ran through his mind, one more on the long list.

“Harry, calm down please,” Dumbledore said quickly, “or Madam Pomfrey will make us leave before I can tell you all that I need to. As you can see, Miss Weasley is safe. I must say that Pettigrew learned, to his detriment, not to make that young woman angry. He did place the Imperious Curse on her, but she successfully defeated him and overcame his control, not once, but twice in less than an hour,” he concluded with a gentle smile.

“He was sent here to force her to kill you, Harry,” Arthur said as he moved to sit by him on the edge of his bed. Harry gasped and looked first to Arthur and then to Molly, afraid of seeing reproval in their eyes because of the danger their youngest child was placed in.

Feeling that they were not going to hold him responsible, he took a deep breath and asked, “Is that why she was blaming herself for this situation? Is there anything that I can do to help?”

“It is only part of why she is blaming herself, and yes, there is something you can do,” Molly said. “You can continue to comfort her, and not be judgmental of her or yourself.”

“Harry, we need you not to let this interfere with your friendship with Ginny or anyone else,” Arthur said. “If they think you are going to sink into yourself to protect them, then they will not hesitate to hex some sense into you, nor will Molly and I. Am I clear on this point?”

Dumbledore nodded. “I concur on both of those points. You need to remember that you did the right thing when you persuaded Remus and Sirius not to kill Pettigrew that night at the end of your third year. I have no doubt of that, and will never doubt it.”

“Yes sir,” Harry answered.

“Good, now you need to know what happened after the incidents we just told you about,” Dumbledore continued. “The majority of the research groups had agreed the answer to our problem was to perform a Time-Reversal ritual, when the meeting was disturbed as we were called back to the Hospital Wing to find that the person we had thought was Dean Thomas was, in fact, Peter Pettigrew.”

Dumbledore got a far away look and his eyes twinkled more than they had in a long time. “You would think that getting hit by Miss Weasley’s Bat-Bogey Hex once would have been enough to get him to leave her alone, but when we arrived, he was huddled in that corner,” he pointed toward a corner at the back of the room. “He was obviously still under the impression that he could follow his master’s orders, but had failed to take into account the strong willpower of Miss Weasley, and more importantly her love for you.”

Harry glanced at Dumbledore at that point. “What do you mean by ‘her love for me?’” he asked.

“As I have said, Harry, you should not judge based on past association.”

As Dumbledore paused to take a breath, Molly Weasley took over. “She really does have feelings of love for you and I know you have some feelings for her as well.” She smiled.

“And my wife isn’t the only one to have noticed that,” added Arthur. “Remus commented to me on New Year’s Eve about your noticeable preoccupation with watching Ginny.” He gave him a knowing smile.

Looking at both the elder Weasleys, Harry deliberated for a few moments before saying, “I don’t know if I can do that, but I will most certainly try.”

“That is all we can ask,” Dumbledore said, just as the door opened and in walked Ron and Hermione, followed closely by Ginny. “I think we should let Miss Granger fill us in on the Time-Reversal ritual.”

Harry watched as Hermione nodded her agreement, but before she could begin, Molly and Arthur excused themselves. He noticed her eyes following them as they left, and noted that she was biting her lower lip. However, Dumbledore encouraged her, “Miss Granger, please remember they already know what you are about to say, and they are not very comfortable with hearing it again.”

Sitting in the recently vacated chairs, Ron and Hermione got comfortable. Ginny started to sit in the empty chair when she again found herself being levitated toward Harry who had returned to a sitting position.

Dumbledore only smiled, but Ron and Hermione were startled by the incident. “I wish you had been this insistent about my sitting with you a few years ago,” Ginny said to Harry, as a ghost of a smile crossed her lips, before turning her attention to Hermione.

“Harry, when did you learn to do that?” Ron asked.

Harry only shrugged. “Not sure when, but it just started to happen.”

“You do realize that all of the books I have read say what you just did is supposed to be impossible, right?” Hermione squealed, looking excitedly as if already planning a trip to the library in order to research this.

“No, I didn’t know that,” Harry said.

“That is an effect of the emotion of love on a wizard’s or a witch’s magical abilities,” said Dumbledore. The teenagers looked at him as he continued, “Remember that the Dark Arts require you to use hatred and anger to power the spells. But these emotions can only tear apart the soul of the individual.”

The teens nodded as he went on, “However, spells powered by love and other positive emotions are more powerful. Because love, while it too can tear a soul apart, will also strengthen and heal one.”

Dumbledore turned to Hermione, “Miss Granger, I think I need to leave you four to discuss what you have discovered. I shall be available should any of you need to talk about this situation later.”

The professor rose to leave as Madam Pomfrey approached. “Am I to have my patient back, Headmaster?”

“Poppy, I will be leaving but I ask you to allow Harry’s two friends to remain; would you complain if he rested while they visited?”

“Headmaster, I fail to see how he can get the rest he needs with so many visitors.”

“Poppy, Harry has had so little time to spend with his friends this last month,” Dumbledore gently reminded her. “I know that you would prefer to keep him in his bed for a few more days, but he needs to have some of his questions answered, and I am sure he would rest more comfortably if his friends were close by.”

Madam Pomfrey looked at the three non-patients gathered around to talk with Harry. “Very well, they can stay, but I expect them to keep their voices down.” Then addressing Ginny, she said, “Miss Weasley, I expect you to insure Mr Potter does not become overly exhausted.”

She nodded and said, “Yes Madam Pomfrey.”

This effectively ended the discussion, and Dumbledore left. Madam Pomfrey stood, looking like she still wanted to chase the two older teens out of her hospital, but resisted the urge. After a few seconds, she returned to her office. The adults’ departure prompted Hermione to close the curtain and cast privacy charms so they could talk without any interruptions.

“Well, Harry,” she began, “what have you been told and what do you want to know?”

“I have actually been told very little about the solution you found, other than no one was happy about it, but I was told about the return of Wormtail.”

Hermione sadly smiled and commented, “That would be putting it mildly.” She then continued, “Well, how much information do you want? I know you usually want me to just tell you the important points and not include the background information, but you already know most of it, so...”

Hermione felt irritated when Ron interrupted her, “Hermione, please just the solution; you can fill Harry in on the details afterwards. We know you want to tell us everything, but start with the solution and let Harry ask the questions that he wants you to answer, okay?”

Hermione sat, glaring at Ron, before beginning the explanation. “Well, just after the attack that put you here,” she gestured to the Hospital Wing, “I found what proved to be the only viable solution to our current problem. The book is entitled A Master’s Thesis Concerning Chronomancy and the Consequences Thereof and it was written by Horace James Potter.” Seeing Harry’s questioning look, she said, “I asked Professor Dumbledore and he mentioned that this Horace was a second cousin to your fourth great-grandfather.”

Taking a deep breath, she continued, “Okay, as I was saying, I was only able to find one means of successfully achieving what we need to accomplish.” She paused here as a tear rolled down her cheek and wiped it away before continuing, “Harry, I am sorry, but your death is the catalyst of this ritual.” Drawing a deep breath she finished, “If it is successful, you will awaken in your body at an earlier date and time, but you will only be able to advise your younger self. If not, then you will at least be spared the suffering the rest of the world will have to endure.”

She saw Harry shake his head and reply, “Hermione, you know as well as I do that failure is not an option. If this is our only choice, then this has to succeed. Now what is involved in this ritual? And how soon can we complete it?”

Hermione sighed. Why is he in such a hurry to die? She thought. His saving people thing again, most likely. Then aloud, “Well, the ritual can be performed at anytime...”

“Good. So when can we get started? What do we need to accomplish it?” he interrupted her again.

Hermione scowled, and despite his interruption she continued, “But it is suggested that certain times of the year would work better than others, improving the chance of success. Harry, we need to give this the greatest chance of success possible, which means you must be patient.”

“How long do we wait? When can we get this over with?”

“The best date for us is the spring equinox, at the exact time the sun crosses the equator back into the northern hemisphere.” Retrieving a sheet of parchment from her bag, she continued, “I’ve checked and that will be at 12:55 on Thursday March twentieth. We have more than enough time to plan this, and prepare everything. Okay, Harry?” She paused and, realizing Harry had not answered her, repeated her question, “I said, okay, Harry?”

He reacted with a nod before Ginny attracted her attention. “Hermione, wasn’t there something about a rest period before he would be able to act or even be awake?”

“Yes,” the girl answered. “You will need a week to ten days of rest to build up your strength, both magical and physical. That recovery time will be for your younger body to adjust to having your older soul in addition to its own.”

Hermione noted a resigned expression on Harry’s face as he said, “That sounds like the best we can hope for.” Then he nodded, “What do you think, Ron?”

“I don’t like it, Harry,” his best friend answered, “but... Hermione and the others searched all the available information, and this seems to be the only answer.” Rising and looking at the others, he added with suspiciously glistening eyes, “Excuse me, but if we’re done for now, I need to go to the loo. Then I think afterwards I’ll go on to the Great Hall. It’s almost lunch time. Hermione, can you cancel the privacy charms, please?”

Hermione said sombrely, “Okay, Ron, I’ll join you in a few minutes.” Then after a brief pause she turned her attention to his sister and said, “Ginny, will you be joining us?”

The redhead shook her head as she answered, averting her eyes to Harry, “No, my responsibilities won’t allow that yet.” Hermione had to fight not to giggle or even smile at this. “I’ll need your help later though. Homework,” she said, by way of explanation.

“Okay, I’ll come by later then.”

“Sounds good,” Ginny responded. She turned back to Harry and, while Hermione cancelled the privacy spells to allow herself and Ron to leave, she said softly, “Harry, we really need to talk.”

“Sure,” he said. “What do you want to talk about?”

However, before she could say anything, they were joined by Remus, Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt; they all sat in the plush armchairs Dumbledore had neglected to vanish when he left a few minutes before.

"How are you doing, cub," asked his former professor. "Dumbledore mentioned informing you about Peter. What else did they tell you?"

“They asked what I remembered about the attack,” Harry began, “and then told me what Peter did and tried to do after he got into the castle, both to Dean and to Ginny.”

As Harry said this, he saw Ginny shudder at the thought of what had almost happened to her, and of what Pettigrew wanted her to do to Harry. He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before continuing, “However, they didn’t tell me what happened to him after he was caught.”

Tonks looked at her two companions and at their nod, she began to tell Harry what had happened. “I’m not really sure of how he awoke or how he got another wand. However, we found Madam Pomfrey unconscious by the fireplace when we arrived after she had summoned us from Professor Dumbledore’s office. Lying in the corner was a short, balding man who was being attacked by the biggest bat-bogeys I had ever seen.”

“It was Peter,” interrupted Lupin, “and he had to be reminded of why you should never make a red-haired witch angry. He always was a slow learner; that lesson will stay with him forever.” This last seemed to be almost to himself more than to the group.

Harry glanced at Ginny to try and gauge her response to the news, and then to the three adults. Feeling they were withholding something, he asked, “So what happened to Pettigrew after that?”

Kingsley picked up the story, “The hex ended, and we gave him a dose of Veritaserum. Remus, Dumbledore, Moody and I questioned him about why he was here, what You-Know-Who’s plans were, and the whereabouts of Dean Thomas.”

He paused to consider his next remarks before continuing, “Mr Thomas apparently gave Pettigrew quite a lot of information about you and what was happening around the school. We do not know how much of it he may have told You-Know-Who but we are certain that he was informed of at least some of it.”

Obviously confused, Harry looked around at the three adults before voicing his thoughts, “What happened to Pettigrew? I mean did he go to Azkaban, or...” He trailed off with a horrifying thought that he had escaped again. However, the looks that the adults were exchanging left him with no doubt that Pettigrew did not like his punishment, and made him wonder, What did they do to that worthless rat?

Tonks concluded the story, “The Veritaserum wore off quickly and he managed to get a wand from Severus Snape who was standing near by, and to hit Ginny with the Imperius again. His actions resulted in his death when he was hit with a jumble of hexes, jinxes, and curses.”

Harry found himself studying their facial expressions more closely, thinking, They want me to think they are ashamed and remorseful of having had to take a life, even though it had to be done in order to protect more innocents. Aloud he asked, “How did he die?” He started to stand and Ginny, remembering Madam Pomfrey’s instructions, placed her hands on his shoulders forcing him to sit back down.

Kingsley said, “A few of the spells Pettigrew was hit with reacted badly, and he died of a heart attack before a Healer could assist him.” His voice however held little remorse.

Harry looked at each of them again, with shock on his face to learn about Wormtail not quite surviving to face trial. Finally after what felt like hours but was actually no more than two minutes, he said, “Well Moony, didn’t I say in my third year that if Wormtail escaped I would agree with you and Sirius doing as you originally planned? Now no one is really sure who killed him, but he has died for the crimes he committed. He can never harm anyone again. I do not regret that he is dead, I only regret that decent people had to kill him.”


Ginny watched as they all quietly nodded their agreement with that assessment. The discussion turned to what Harry had missed in the previous month, and lasted about twenty minutes before she noticed that he was yawning and appeared to be tired, so she took the opportunity to tell everyone they needed to leave.

After the three adults had said their good-byes and left, Ginny started helping Harry settle in and they talked as she did. She had him back into bed and had taken a seat on its edge when he asked, “So what do you think, Ginny? Will it work or are we all wasting our time?”

Ginny sat looking at him for a minute, biting her bottom lip as she considered her answer. “I’m not really sure. Why do you ask?” she asked in return, attempting to deflect attention from herself; she was still uncomfortable about having broken down earlier in the morning.

Harry realized that his comment was making Ginny nervous and upset, so he continued the discussion by changing the topic. “You would think that after sleeping for a month, I would have more energy and not feel so tired.”

“Not necessarily,” Ginny said as she occupied herself with tucking his sheets in. “You have been quite active since waking about four hours ago, and your body needs to have more rest to recover from the damage you received in the battle.” She grinned as she finished pampering him and retook her seat on the edge of his bed. “Now you close your eyes, and get some sleep.” She gently stroked his hair and began humming softly to herself.

Harry smiled, tired but not yet ready for sleep. “While I don’t know the tune, it has an oddly familiar quality to it. What are you humming?”

Ginny paused and looking at him, she said, “It is a lullaby my mum used to sing to me when I was younger.” She had a slight blush as she added, “There were nights when only that song and my favourite bedtime story could get me to sleep.”

“Why the blushing?”

“Well, my favourite bedtime story when I was a little girl was ‘The Boy-Who-Lived.’ It changed after I met you and got to know you better, but until I was about eleven years old I loved that story more than any other. Sorry,” she said with an innocent smile.

She watched with expectation as Harry took her hand in his and asked her, “Why did it stop being your favourite story? I know you still had a crush on me for at least another year.” He gave her a cheeky grin, and Ginny felt herself blushing more than before. “I don’t mind that being your favourite bedtime story,” Harry continued. “Actually, I would probably be able to fall asleep faster if you were to tell it to me.” Ginny hung her head in order to hide her bright red face behind a curtain of hair. He chuckled softly before saying, “Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you heard that story?”

She whispered the answer so softly that she knew he would have trouble understanding exactly what she had said.

Sure enough, he asked her, “Sorry, what was that?”

Jerking her head up so abruptly that she startled him, she almost shouted out of exasperation while blushing furiously, “I said, last Friday. Now will you please go to sleep?”

Harry smiled and closed his eyes obediently. As he lay there resting, Ginny began to examine the hand she held in her own, noticing for the first time the scars on the back of it that said, I will not tell lies. She wondered for a moment about the cause of those strange words and then remembered the previous school year. That worthless cow was the worst excuse for a DADA professor that the school had seen in many years, though if you believed Harry and Ron, the teacher from their first year had been just as useless.

It wasn’t more than a few minutes later that Ginny heard him whisper, “I’m so sorry Ginny.”

She looked up from her study of the hand she’d been holding to find his gaze fixed upon her. “For what?” she asked, saddened at seeing all traces of his previous amusement gone from his face.

“What happened to Dean was my fault. If I hadn’t stopped Sirius and Remus from killing that rat Pettigrew at the end of my third year, then he wouldn’t have been able to hurt either of you…”

Ginny’s response was swift and just a bit frightening. Harry never saw her draw her wand, but it was inches from his face before he could react. With a defiant growl, that started low in her chest, she told him, “Never, ever, ever, let me hear you try to take the blame for things that were not your fault. You are not to blame for what happened to Dean, and you are not to blame for the attacks on the school, and you are NOT to blame for the deaths, deaths that Tom Bloody Riddle has caused.” Each of these pronouncements was reinforced with a savage poke in his chest. Her wand had not moved from where it pointed at Harry’s face and it was glowing rather menacingly. “This is your only warning. Next time you’ll be Bat-Bogeyed so fast your head will spin! Are we clear? He and his followers are to blame, and not you!”

Taking in the intensity of her gaze, Harry realized she was not going to accept him blaming himself for anything. “Yeah, okay,” Harry began meekly, then seeming to get his strength back he continued, “I will do my best.”

He closed his eyes again, and after a minute Ginny returned her wand to her pocket. Harry’s breathing had settled and she thought he was asleep, so she started to rise in order to gather her school things. As the weight on the bed shifted, Harry’s hand gripped hers and she looked back at him.

Opening his eyes he stared at her before saying, “One more thing. I need you to promise that you will help me with deciding something. Promise me you will hear me out, and help me make this decision, not leave me here to make it on my own. It is one that will affect both of us, and I can’t make it alone.”

Ginny examined his face and found Harry’s brilliant green eyes fixed on hers. Dammit that’s just not fair! she thought, wondering how she was ever going to refuse him when he looked at her like that. She toyed with the idea of simply losing herself in his gaze before remembering that he’d asked her a question. Mentally cursing herself to get a grip, she cleared her throat and said, “I think I can promise that and to wait until everything is said.”

“Well,” Harry said as he lay back, “First, I should ask what day and time they were planning to send me to? Have they said anything?”

Ginny got a sour look on her face and said, “I overheard Mum and Madam Pomfrey talking this morning. They said that Dumbledore wanted to send you back no further than mid-August of last year.” She shook her head and said, “But I don’t think that it is far enough.”
Harry grimaced and said, “I agree. I was just thinking that it might be best to have a few options of what days on which to return.”

Ginny nodded at this suggestion and said, “What days do you think would be best?”
“Well, I can think of at least three or four,” Harry replied. “The first would be during the summer between my fourth and fifth year just after I returned to Privet Drive following the Triwizard Tournament.”

She shook her head in a negative fashion and said, “While that might give you enough time to settle things with me, I was already dating Michael Corner, and you would have been competing with him for my attention, plus Hermione’s usual rampages about revising for your OWLs. Remember how much you and Ron enjoyed those? Oh and let’s not forget Cho Chang.” She said this last with a smirk on her face.

“Please, must you remind me of the second biggest mistake of my life?” he said in response to her comment. “Cho was the worst person I could have chosen to go out with. And my crush on her was over before you stopped dating Michael, thank you.”

Ginny paused to consider the look on Harry’s face. It was a mixture of anger, hurt, regret, and resentment. This last brought her up short. What could he be resenting? Ginny wondered for a moment. Then his last words finally had meaning. Is Harry still jealous that I dated both Michael and Dean when he had such a hard time having any relationship with a girl? Finally she said, “Harry, I was just teasing about Cho, I didn’t mean to bring up unhappy memories.” Then with a more pleading look on her face, “Please don’t be angry with me.” She knew her smile was faltering, but she had to hope Harry wasn’t going to stay angry with her.

After what seemed forever to her, he nodded slowly and then said, “I know you were teasing but that doesn’t stop it from hurting. Well I guess that is a lesson I can teach my younger self when the time comes. Maybe it will help him to want to get to know you sooner.” Changing his expression slightly, he continued, “Now where were we?”

Ginny paused for a moment then said, “We had just ruled out the summer between your fourth and fifth year. So, what is the next time you think would be a good choice?”

“Well,” Harry continued, “perhaps just before the Yule Ball; if I go back far enough, I can invite you to the Ball before Neville does.”

Again Ginny reacted to the idea, except this time she said, “While that might work, I can’t remember the exact day he asked me, and that would make it harder for you to get to the right time and place. I only remember it was after the first task, and before the end of the term. We should keep that one in mind though, and discuss any others.” Ginny moved to her school bag to gather a quill, a piece of parchment, and a bottle of ink to keep a list of the best dates they could think of.

“Okay,” he said, “I have also thought of the summer before my second year before you got the diary, of the time just before you were taken in to the Chamber of Secrets. Perhaps I can either stop you from being taken into the chamber, or destroy that worthless Diary. I also thought of the summer between my second and third years, and of the end of my third year...”

Ginny looked at him and realized that he had given this mess some thought, and that she was irritated to find herself astonished at the depth he was capable of. Shaking her head she began to review the options, “Alright, let’s see now. End of third year. Good thing is I still wanted everything to work out and both of us to get together. Bad things are, you were concentrating on saving Sirius from the Dementors and also Buckbeak from the Malfoys’ scheme. Of course the most important is… oh never mind, and thus you were so busy that you had no time to notice me. It was not long after that that I gave up on an ‘us.’ By the time we left for summer holidays, I felt almost normal around you. Good-bye, crush. Would I have let you into my heart at that time? I am not sure. But still a definite option none the less.”

Harry grumbled, “I wasn’t that busy.”

Ginny smirked at him and then continued, “The summer before your second year. Now that is just too weird to consider. I would have to say, definitely out of the question. The crush I had on you was so bad, I would freak out if you even said ‘hello’ to me. It would have been a problem for most of that year.” She paused to sigh and then continued, “As desperately as I would love to have never obtained that diary, a part of me still feels that I can’t truly help you without going through that; after all, I am the only other person to survive after Tom tried to kill me. So that will have to be a definite NO.”

Ginny had sat back on the edge of his bed, then she said, “The summer between your second and third year might make for an interesting choice. I can see distinct possibilities. You would be at the Dursleys’ for most of the summer, and though I still had a crush on you, I was able to talk to you on the train ride home without blushing too much. I can see us exchanging letters as friends, but that might still cause awkward situations with my family. I think that is one of the better choices though so I’ll write it down.”

Ginny looked up from her parchment and said, “Finally, the time just before the end of your second year around the time of the Chamber incident. Harry, I’m sure I remember Hermione saying something about a time of rest so your younger body can adjust to the presence of your older soul. What if you don’t wake in time to save me from the Chamber? I doubt that would be good, so I want to say no to that date.”

“Umm... Ginny I think that would be the best date to use...”

“But Harry, what if you can’t save me? Remember that I will be depending on you to save me.”

“...because we need to be certain that our younger selves will have enough time to get to be friends before having to get married. That and I can make a few changes that will be of more help to us in dealing with Tom for good.”

“Harry, please listen to me, I don’t think it would be a good idea. What if you awoke too late to rescue me from the Chamber?”

“Did Tom ever tell you why he chose you as the bait for that trap?”

“No, he just said that... I would be responsible for your death. And laughed when I begged him to spare you even if I died,” Ginny bowed her head as she said this. “I knew the world would need your protection, and I was so insignificant. Tom had to be stopped and you were the one who had stopped him before. He said that I was wasting my time to have faith in you, and that you would never want some little nobody like me,” she finished in a whisper.

Harry lifted her chin to have her look at him, knowing he had to get his point across to her. “You were unconscious when he told me this, but it should have some meaning. Tom told me that he had given up trying to kill Muggle-born students, ever since you told him about me.” She gasped. “He said that when I got the diary, it was like a dream come true for him. But then you took it back.”

Hoping to cheer her a little with a small bit of teasing, Harry changed the subject momentarily. “If my memory is correct, that was not the only item taken from my trunk over the years.”

He chuckled softly as Ginny blushed and looked anywhere but at him, mumbling, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“If you say so, Ginny, but I think you would look nice in that old Quidditch practice jersey of mine. You know, the one that...” Harry let the implication hang, and continued, “Well, back to the tale. Tom wanted to meet me and learn about the means I used to destroy his older self. He wanted me, and though he did not know it, his choice of a bait for his trap was the best he could have made.” He knew when he finished that Ginny was blushing as hard as she had when she was eleven and saw her hero in her home for the first time.

She refused to meet his gaze and he said, “This is a no blushing zone, Ginny.” He watched her shoulders shake in silent laughter at his joke, then he added, “I think that if I go back to two weeks before the Chamber, I can be awake and ready to rescue the fair maiden. Now, are there any other dates that you can think of?”

“No. I can’t think of any,” she said, glancing back up at him.

Harry looked at Ginny and paused to consider his words, and then he said, “I remember when Hermione was giving her explanation earlier; she said that the length of time I would need should be no more than one week to ten days. I am thinking of at least two weeks, but you can make it three to be certain I can be up and around in time to recover you from the Chamber.”

The red-haired girl considered what he had said and then asked, “Harry, I don’t know why you would be so adamant about returning to that time period? What makes it more appealing to you than the others?” Finally she sighed before continuing, her frustration beginning to show in her voice, “Why can’t I get you to understand that I am scared of you failing to reach me in time? I don’t know.”

An audible sigh began Harry’s answer, “This particular time will give me the best chance of changing the most events with the least unnecessary effects on the final result. I want to get through this time period without dealing with the Dursleys, and also without having to try convincing Dumbledore that I can be trusted. Especially when I will be unable to defend myself against his prying questions before I am prepared for them.”

Looking Ginny in the eye he continued, “I know I will be unable to modify most things, but some events will be changeable; Sirius’s escape and the events of my third year among them. I want to arrange to get Sirius a better and more comfortable hiding place than the Shrieking Shack.”

A large yawn broke through, and Ginny, remembering what Madam Pomfrey had said, told him, “You need to lie back and settle down to sleep. We can finish this discussion later.” After tucking Harry into his bed for what now seemed like the one-millionth time today, she sat back on the edge of his bed again.

“Sing that lullaby please,” Harry pleaded, “It seems so familiar but I can’t remember where I heard it.”

“Okay,” Ginny sighed, “But you must go to sleep. Your body needs its rest, and you are not getting it by constantly talking.” After saying that, she began singing softly.

Sleep, my little dear one sleep,
Rest your head and do not weep,
My heart is with you through the night,
My dear one rest now and sleep tight.

Sleep my little dear one sleep,
Rest your head and do not weep,
Know that mother earth and father sky,
Are here to guide you as time goes by.

Sleep my little dear one sleep,
Rest your head and do not weep,
Close your little eyes tonight,
Do not struggle and do not fight.

Sleep my little dear one sleep,
Rest your head and do not weep,
My love for you will never end,
You know mummy is your best friend.


Ginny finished the lullaby and noticed a contended smile on Harry’s face as he drifted off to sleep. She then gathered what she needed to finish her essay for Transfiguration from her bag and moved to a table set up for her to work from while she watched over her friend. A noise drew her attention and she saw Madam Pomfrey standing there with a tear in her eye, softly smiling; something that Ginny noted was not a common sight even in this time of trouble.


Madam Pomfrey had heard Ginny begin the lullaby while at her desk; she moved to the doorway so that she could better hear the beautiful melody. After the song was finished, she watched as Ginny settled herself to finish her homework, and then she spoke, “That was a very beautiful song Miss Weasley.”

“Thank you Madam Pomfrey, it was my favourite when I was a child, and Mum always had such a beautiful singing voice. I guess I inherited more than just her temper.”

“That is truer than you can imagine young lady. Now, please get your school work finished quickly, I need you to do some tasks for me concerning Mr. Potter, later today.” As she returned to her office chair, the nurse remembered a young Molly Prewett once singing to an equally young Arthur Weasley as he lay recuperating in the Hospital Wing after an exceptionally rough Quidditch match.

~ * ~


Four hours later
After finishing her essay and the errand for Madam Pomfrey, Ginny sat talking with her mother and Hermione about Harry and other things when Hermione turned to her and asked, “How is Harry doing?”

“Well, I must say, he is sure sleeping for someone who has been resting for the last month. I hope he will be up and about soon. I am worried that it took so long for him to heal,” Ginny replied.

Molly nodded, “I was also. He really needs to be more careful. So Hermione, is there anything new for Arthur and me to deal with?”

“I’m not really sure what you mean, Mrs. Weasley,” Hermione said.

“So I didn’t see you and Ronald sneaking out of that broom closet an hour ago?” Molly asked, though she already knew the answer.

“Um... I’m not...”

“Hermione,” Ginny chimed in, “how long have you and Ron been together?”

“Since last Wednesday,” her friend answered. “We had hoped to keep it secret for a few weeks. In case Harry woke and wanted to know what he missed, we could say we just got together that day,” she said while blushing extensively.

“I see,” said Ginny and Molly at the same time, both grinning mischievously and making Hermione blush even more. “I think Harry will be angrier with you for trying to hide it from those that care about you,” Ginny continued.

Molly looked at her daughter for a moment and said, “I wonder how long it will be before we have to worry about you and Harry sneaking into a...” She paused at the hurt look on Ginny’s face and then remembered the situation. Pulling Ginny to her, she said, “This is not the way I would like to be having this conversation.” She cried tears of her own for the pain her daughter was going through.

Hermione said, “I know it isn’t much Ginny, but you and Harry will be together sooner in the new timeline. I mean, after all you will have a lot to work out before you get married.” She stopped and spontaneously joined the hugging mother and daughter.

Ginny said through a forced smile, “I just wish there was a way that Harry and I could get married this time as well.” She paused for a moment and collecting her thoughts continued, “I guess what is so upsetting is the years of waiting for both of us to recognize in the other what we both wanted. We wasted so much time that we could have had together, and now that we are starting to have that relationship, the most we will get to do is hold hands and maybe snog a few times.” Then looking to her mother, “I wish Harry and I could get married before the ritual is preformed. Isn’t there something that can be arranged?”

Just then the castle shook from the force of a very powerful curse. Greatly magnified, Professor Dumbledore’s voice resounded through the halls, “All students are to return to their common rooms and all staff members and Aurors are to report to the Entrance Hall. The Hospital Wing should prepare for casualties; we are under attack by Death Eaters.”

~ * ~


Harry sat reading a copy of the Daily Prophet two days later:
The battle lasted for an hour, and resulted in the deaths of fourteen people... Seven Death Eaters were captured, and nine were killed. The remaining five casualties were four Aurors and one teacher, Severus Snape…

For more see page 5…


Harry thought to himself after reading the first part of the article, Not that his Potions classes were worth anything, and his DADA classes weren’t any better. At least his death had some meaning as he took a Killing Curse in the place of Professor McGonagall. Then his thoughts turned to the time ritual and away from the death of his most hated professor. I guess it is a good thing that Ginny and I have convinced Hermione of the need to go back further than this past summer to fulfil the prophecy. I hope to convince Dumbledore now and get this whole expedition under way.

Glancing up from his reading, he smiled at Professor Dumbledore who stood waiting to talk to him. “Sir, is there something I can do for you?”

The headmaster smiled and asked, “May I sit and talk with you for a brief while Harry?”

“Of course, sir, I don’t mind. Wave up a chair and join me for a cuppa,” was his answer.

“Thank you for the offer, Harry,” Dumbledore said as he waved his wand to conjure a comfortable armchair and sat drinking the offered cup of tea. After a few minutes, he said, “Harry, it has come to my attention that you have asked Miss Granger to prepare the necessary Arithmantic equations to take you back further than the chosen date for this time ritual.”

Harry cut him off politely by saying, “Sir, there are a great many problems with the date you chose. The first problem I face is that I only have a few months to get you to accept that the prophecy is real. And the second is that Ginny and I will barely have time to start a worthwhile relationship to build a marriage on. If I remember correctly, wizarding marriages are for life, no changing your mind. I want us to have the best chance of being happy and to do that I need other possibilities.”

“I see you have at least started to think your situation out, but Harry, you and Miss Weasley are already friends by that time, and that is the start you need to build a successful marriage.”

“Professor, you usually make it a habit not to interfere in the relations of your students correct?” his pupil asked.

“Well, yes, I try to never interfere except where propriety’s sake is involved,” was the expected answer.

“That leads to another problem. Ginny was already in a reasonably good relationship at that time. I need more time also. I was mourning Sirius and it took me most of that summer to learn to trust Ginny with my heart; and by the time September first came, I was ready to fall in love with her, I think,” he said this last part with some reluctance. “But my hopes were dashed, and now I have to work on learning to trust as two people not just one,” Harry concluded. “I want the best possible chance that this will work and not end up with me in the permanent incapacitation ward at St. Mungo’s. Because that is what will happen if we use your time table, sir.”

Dumbledore stared at Harry over the top of his half-moon spectacles and finally said, “Your argument has merit, Harry, but I need to know the dates you asked for in order to help approve or veto the choices.”

“Only one date seems to work sir, and that is three weeks before Ginny was taken into the Chamber of Secrets. I will need those weeks to rest and build up my strength. Hermione said that I will be magically exhausted for about a week after the arrival in that time.” Harry said this while staring into Dumbledore’s eyes to make it plain that this was the price he required for being the hero.

“You won’t be able to save them, Harry. And your grief will be doubled for trying,” Dumbledore said. “I know you want to save those who have died but you will only be able to make small changes, not big ones. If you do otherwise, then your memories of this timeline will be of little use to you.” Harry looked sceptically at the old Headmaster before Dumbledore continued, “Yes, Harry you will be changing the timeline as you go, but the same actions should have very similar results if everything remains as close to the original timeline as possible. I know you hope to save as many of them as you can, but be careful you don’t change too much or else all of this may be for nothing.”

“You mean like making Sirius’s last two years comfortable for him instead of running for the whole time or being imprisoned in his own house to stay safe from the ministry?” Harry said. “Or perhaps orchestrating Pettigrew being captured early in order to free him?”

Dumbledore nodded before Harry continued, “I know I can’t make major changes without major interruptions in my memories from this timeline, but the small things can mean as much as the big things in the right conditions.”

Dumbledore considered this, and then said, “I will consider this, and let you know tomorrow morning.” He looked around and said more quietly, “The other reason I am here is to let you know that the school is closing. The recent attack has made it necessary to protect the students. I have made special arrangements with the Ministry to allow certain people to remain here to fulfil the task they have been entrusted with.”

“Who will be staying with me, sir?” Harry asked

“The Weasleys, the Order as they can be available, Miss Granger, and any other person you would like to have here.”

“Thank you, sir. Can I give you a list of these people by tomorrow morning?”

“Yes, Harry. That would be acceptable. Now it looks as if I should go. Your minders seem to think I have overstayed my welcome.” Dumbledore glanced pointedly at Ginny and Molly who were standing nearby waiting for the private meeting to end. They smiled and moved in to settle Harry for the night when it was clear that the meeting was over.

Molly escorted Dumbledore to the door and said, “Albus, may we speak in the hall for just a moment?”

“Certainly, Molly, I have a few minutes to spare. But I must ask that we make this quick. I have some travel arrangements to make for the remaining students needing to return home,” Harry heard them say this just before the doors closed.

They left and Ginny smiled at Harry, softly humming the lullaby as she tucked the sheets around him. “Now rest well Harry, it seems that you have a hectic day tomorrow.”

Molly returned to see about Harry after her discussion with Dumbledore. Turning to Ginny, she said, “Dumbledore said he would ask the Minister to bring the paperwork with him for his visit tomorrow.” Then she smiled and hugged Ginny before saying, “I have so many arrangements to make for this next month. This has to be the best of your life.”
Reviews 85
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear