Search:

SIYE Time:7:27 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A New Way to Live
By peskypetunia

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 240
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

SHOCKER OF SHOCKERS! PESKY UPDATES! Sequel to "Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity." Please read and review ;) before reading this one! Harry and Ron are becoming Aurors, and a new threat is rising. Will Draco return a changed man? How will Harry learn the new ways to love?
Hitcount: Story Total: 66611; Chapter Total: 4130





Author's Notes:
Please review! They make me wicked happy. By the way...I was surprised no one got this during Infinity. The names of the birds were hints towards their owners. VOERLUTE rearranged spells TRUE LOVE. Ginny...duh. Anyhow, just thought I'd mention it. If anyone can tell me how the others apply to their owners I'll give you a hint to the next chap!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Three
Family

Weeks began to soar by. Even though she started out as Thadeus’ social worker, with her relationship with Hermione, Ophelia became a fixture at Grimmauld Place. She always brought Maggie, and if she had to work, Ron and Hermione were always the first to volunteer to babysit.

Molly was beside herself. She doted on Maggie and Thadeus like her own and they quickly learned that Gramma Molly loved to spoil them. She made a fresh batch of peanut cookies every week and one could always be found, wrapped in a napkin, in Thadeus’ or Maggie’s pocket, much to the frustration of their mothers.

Tonks and Remus were becoming excellent parents, though a little shaky at first. They kissed every skinned knee, told fabulous bedtime stories, disciplined him gently, and Thadeus quickly became the most popular playmate in the house. Harry was always trying to steal him away for a quick fly around the yard, while the twins needed his wise consult on each and every one of their new products, and Ginny had to have his approval everyday before she left.

Hermione and her father moved out of Grimmauld Place and lived in the quiet flat downtown. Mrs. Walker turned out to be a wonderful landlady, and the Grangers loved their new home. Now that the war was over, Mr. Granger was able to return to his dentistry practice. He and Hermione lived only three blocks from the downtown St. Mungo’s entrance. It was a small home, but it suited them well. There was a spare bedroom that was seldom used, and two full bathrooms. She still wasn’t much of a cook, but Hermione was learning to make her favourite dishes from her mother’s recipes. Though they had moved out, Hermione visited Grimmauld Place nearly everyday.

Hermione and Ron still fought, though it was never as bad as before. She and Ginny had grown very close and on more than one occasion, Ginny ran away to Hermione’s for a night. The girls giggled madly the next day and though it drove them barmy, Ron and Harry never wanted to know what made them snicker so.

Before anyone realized it July was ending. Petunia, Dudley, and Hagar smiled as they entered Sirius’s old home. The walls were draped with bright decorations of every colour. A radio was quietly playing music in the corner and everyone was laughing. Hagar kissed Harry lightly on the cheek, after Dudley slapped him on the back upon entering the busy house.

The party was turning out to be a grand affair. Reggie Craven personally delivered his and Ron’s first stipend checks, as they were officially welcomed into Auror training. Harry smiled when she accepted the invitation to stay for the party. She instantly began to chat with Roni and Tonks, the three old friends dissolved into hysterics in a matter of minutes

Susan arrived with Seamus and Hannah shortly after Luna and Neville appeared with a huge assortment of flowers to decorate the table. Harry smiled as he saw Luna. Though he knew the scars were still there, he couldn’t see them. She looked exactly like her old self. Her shimmering, blonde hair was pulled back into a thick braid and Neville never left her side.

Meanwhile, Ron seemed to be physically attached to Hermione. They laughed and played the entire day without leaving each other’s reach. Harry was pleased to see his best friends so in love and wondered how Ron would fair, when he and Hermione would be separated so they could attend Auror training.

Harry was thrilled when Viktor entered Grimmauld Place a few minutes after Susan arrived. Nadia burst past her brother ran directly into Hermione’s open arms while her brother helped Natasha into a chair. Natasha folded her creamy white hands in her lap while Ron and Viktor chatted. Ever since she had been rescued, they had seen very little of Natasha. Roni looked over her personally while she was in the hospital and was the first to greet her when she entered the home. Her improvement was dramatic. She had put on a little weight and her face shone with colour. Her eyes were playful as she watched Nadia animatedly describe their new house.

Natasha’s long, wavy, dark, brown hair was braided into a loose plait that curled at the end. She wore light purple robes that highlighted her violet eyes and leaned on a slender black cane when she walked. Though her limp was still noticeable, it was very slight.

Nadia was a year older than Thadeus, but they became fast friends after five minutes of mutual shyness. Tonks played hide-no-seek with the rambunctious kids and laughed merrily when they realized she wasn’t seeking. Thadeus and Nadia quickly resorted to Harry and Ron who were always willing to be sources of entertainment for the youngsters.

As the night waned on, Thadeus sat in awe of Harry as he opened his presents. Harry got lots of clothes and books to help him as an Auror. He smiled at the pretty watch Ginny gave him and was rendered speechless, when he received four frames with letters from his mother inside. His heart ached when he read the one from Ginny.

Dearest child,

I am Phoenix Brander, a SpitFire, and a redhead. My son is your soul mate. I have predetermined this phoenix to be owned by the person my son will fall in love with. I want you to know that though we may disagree, I will always love and cherish the person my son loves.

Though my husband swears you will be a redhead too, know that we love you and always have you in our hearts.

Take care of him and be certain he takes care of you.
Lily Potter

Voerlute=True Love


Ginny kissed his cheek tenderly after he read it. Harry had almost forgotten about the magical flock and was amazed to see how his mother connected each bird to him. He laughed when he read the letter the twins gave him.

The next Marauders,

I was blessed and cursed to know four young men that lived solely to make each other laugh. They loved each other and brought a smile to my face despite my desperate attempts to fight it.

I have branded this phoenix to be owned by the person or people who bring my son the most joy. Make him laugh and help him to forget the shadows that dim the love in his life.

Laugh at him and with him,
Lily Potter (and Padfoot, Prongs, Moony, and Wormtail)


Harry bit down the anger that surged as he read Wormtail’s name but knew that his mother wouldn’t have known about the traitor. The next letter was about Pharaoh and from Luna.

My friend,

I have predetermined this phoenix to find a person who is very wise. I suspect Pharaoh will find you after you have learned many life lessons. As you may already know, I want you to be an advisor to my son. Help him and guide him. You may be his friend, a family member, even a stranger, but when your life crosses paths with my Harry, show him the right direction and help him make good decisions.

Sometimes our advice is not always welcomed, but please show my son the way to be happy.
Lily Potter


Harry stared at the letter and carefully thought about Luna. She had been there for him. She often helped him and showed him that he could continue to fight. She was a great friend and he would never again shy away from asking her advice.

Finally, he took the last letter in his hand. His throat swelled as he read his mother’s neat script again.

Moony,
I don’t know if you and Petunia will still be together when this bird is born, but I know you will still need a companion. I give you this bird so that you will never again be afraid of the dark.

I love you, truly I do. (James is making fun of me for that, says he’s going to murder you…I just heard him slap you, in the next room. Sorry about that. Now, you are wrestling…Sirius just jumped in. As the three of you roll on the ground, I hope to all that is holy, that you did not just break my grandmother’s crystal vase. You did...I don’t even worry that the three of you are on fire right now; thank god Peter had the sense to put you out because I’m in no bloody mood to be dealing with your antics.)

Be safe,
Lily-Love


Harry sniffed and waited for Remus to speak. “Lily-Love,” Remus smirked. “We all called her Lily-Love. She was a goddess. James and Sirius were always pretending to fight over her so one day she got fed up and swore she would run away with me. Back then; I used to claim it was the best day of my life.

“Before Penny and I ever met, Lily found out I was a werewolf. That day I was exhausted and hurt. I had killed a little boy’s dog and it broke my heart. When she found out, she didn’t run or recoil, she just listened. Finally, I screamed that I was terrified of the dark because of what it made me. She let me rant and swore she would never let me live in darkness if she could help it. Sol means light. Lily-Love never broke a promise.”

Aunt Petunia laughed as she read the letter over Harry’s shoulder, “You broke that vase!”

“I fixed it!” Remus defended, knowing it wouldn’t matter and threw his hands up in defeat when everyone laughed at him.

Harry smiled as he listened to Remus tell his story and banter with his aunt. He pulled Thadeus and Nadia into his lap. Sensing what he wanted, Ginny called Voerlute and Remus called Sol. One by one all five birds were called and the flock was introduced to the youngsters.

Harry grinned as they watched the birds with rapt attention and loved the awe and wonder on their faces. The birds enjoyed being stroked and petted before disappearing in a flash of flames.

After dinner, Ginny sat directly beside Harry with Thadeus on her lap. Ron had once again captured Maggie from her mother and Hermione chatted with Nadia about Viktor. Mr. Granger watched his daughter with proud eyes as Hermione rocked Nadia in her arms.

“Hermnee,” Nadia whined tiredly as the day ended. “I don’t want to go to bed, I’m not sleepy.”

Hermione chuckled lightly and pulled the little girl tight against her chest, rocking her softly. “I know your not, darling, but you need to rest. I’ll hold you for a little while but in ten minutes you are going to bed.”

Viktor grinned at his little sister, who snuggled into Hermione’s arms. “Hermione, I vould kill to haf your talent vith her. I sometimes think I should tie her to her bed at night.”

Nadia shook her head against Hermione’s chest, but her eyes were already drooping. Hermione began to hum softly when the girl’s fist tightened against her shirt. Soon the girl’s breathing slowed and Hermione smiled, lifted her and carried her into a bedroom.

Tonks pulled Thadeus away from Harry, as Hermione and Nadia walked by. Harry let his godson fall asleep on his shoulder and pouted a little when Tonks took him away. Tonks followed Hermione with her son and the two women tucked the children into the two beds Hermione and Ginny once used. With Hermione and her father gone, Ginny had moved into Mr. Granger’s old room so that the room with two beds would be available.

Hermione carefully tucked Nadia Krum into her old bed, while Tonks did the same with Thadeus in Ginny’s. They dimmed the lights and silently moved out of the room.

“Why did you let him sleep in there?” Hermione asked.

Tonks smiled, “If he wakes up in the night, he won’t be alone. He’ll see Nadia and relax. The past couple of weeks, he wakes up and crawls into bed with Remus and me. Maybe this will help.”

Tonks shrugged and put an arm around Hermione leading her back to the raucous group bellow. Hermione smiled as her father and Petunia Dursley were giggling like children over tales about when Harry and Hermione came into their magical powers. Apparently, Hermione had gotten quite upset with her mother around age three and when they woke up, her mother was bald.

They saw Harry trying to hide behind Ginny. Apparently the twins wanted to give him birthday spankings. Remus and Bill were chuckling and drinking something that smelled so foul; it made Hermione cringe. She smiled when Tonks stole the snifter out of Remus’ hand and downed the amber liquid, her eyes immediately watering in pain. Molly was chatting away with Luna and Neville when Tonks began to choke and clutch her throat, they all laughed at her misfortune, and no one bothered to reprimand the twins for chasing Harry.

Charlie, on the other hand, was flirting devilishly with Reggie. Once she recovered Tonks moved to stand with Roni and they carefully spied on the dragon keeper, trying not to begin laughing at his shoddy pick up lines. When Reggie made to leave, Charlie offered to escort her home. It would have been sweet had she not pointed out that stalking was a crime and Roni could hold it in no longer. She laughed and pointed at a deflated Charlie and soon Reggie said her goodbyes. Charlie gave her a two-minute head start before running after her, despite the people laughing at him.

Percy sat quietly away from the group and smiled at his family. Hermione frowned to see him so alone and moved discretely to sit by him after Charlie ran out the door.

“I’m fine, Hermione,” Percy sighed before she even opened her mouth.

“Do you miss Cho?” she asked, smirking that she didn’t have to as the redundant question.

“What?!” Percy snapped with a curious face. “No, Cho and I were friends, and it is unfortunate about her, but…well…I guess I’ve just been missing my family. It took a long time for me to get back to this. That’s all.”

Hermione relaxed slightly. “You look so lonely over here. You know they love you and have forgiven you, don’t you?”

Percy eyed her a moment. “Most of them have.”

“Your family loves you and welcomed you back, surely you know that by now,” Hermione whispered gently so that no one would overhear.

“I know they did, but…” Percy trailed off.

“What then?” Hermione was confused.

“I screwed up a big chunk of my life. When I abandoned my family, I lost more than these people. I lost friends and people I cared about. Now, I’m thrilled that mother and father welcomed me back into the fold. I’m even glad the twins started pranking me again, because it means they aren’t mad either, but…I guess I don’t know how to explain,” Percy mumbled.

He clearly didn’t want anyone to know his problems but she had a sneaking suspicion anyhow.

“This is about Penelope, isn’t it!?” She hissed.

Percy’s eyes went large and he shushed her hastily. “Please, Hermione, don’t. The twins will be horrible and it’s my fault anyhow. She broke it off with me, not that I didn’t deserve it, but I won’t go crawling back.”

Hermione shook her head at Percy’s pride. “Then be miserable for the rest of your life. Penelope loved you and risked everything she had, trying to make you see the light even after she lost faith in you. You don’t have to go crawling back, but it wouldn’t hurt to swallow some of your pretentiousness and apologize. At least, give her the satisfaction of knowing she was right.”

He leaned back in his chair and sighed. Hermione was right but that didn’t make it any easier. He watched her move away from him and over to Ophelia. Ron was carefully threading Maggie’s limp arm into her jacket. He carefully zipped her up and placed a tender kiss on her pudgy cheek. Hermione kissed the girl too.

“Are you headed home?” Hermione whispered to her cousin.

Ophelia nodded and took the sleeping Maggie in her arms. “I’ve been meaning to ask you, since you and Uncle Greg are the only living relatives I have left…could I name you Maggie’s guardian in my will?”

Hermione gasped. “Are you ill? Of course you can, I love her, but where is this coming from?”

Ophelia laughed quietly, “Don’t worry, I’m fine. I’m only asking to be safe. I never thought David would die so young, but I don’t want anything to go wrong if I should meet an untimely end. Don’t you worry; I fully intend to see her graduate from Hogwarts.”

Ron saw Hermione relax and they kissed Maggie one more time before watching Ophelia Disapparate with Maggie hugged tightly to her chest. When they returned to the dining room everyone was deep into their own conversations.

Harry and Ginny were blissfully ignoring everyone around them and sat quietly whispering to each other. Still in the sitting room, Natasha and Viktor waved Hermione and Ron over to talk. Natasha was very quiet after she was taken by Death Eaters but knew of the friendship between Hermione and Viktor, so she always made an effort.

“Hermohnee,” Natasha said in her low voice. “Ve need to ask you some-ting.”

Hermione smiled prompting her. Natasha still had a deep Bulgarian accent but was improving.

“Could you vatch ‘ittle Nadia, tonight? She loves you so. Plus, iv it goes vell, perhaps she could stay vith you longer?” she questioned with hopeful eyes.

Curious, Hermione turned to Viktor. “Ve haf decided to get married.”

Ron shook Viktor’s hand in congratulations and kissed Natasha on the cheek. Hermione joyfully gasped and hugged her two friends.

“Of course I’ll watch Nadia, when is the wedding?” Hermione bounced happily.

“Ve vant to get married next month. Ve vant a small vedding, but ve vill be gone for four days avter de ceremony. Iv that is alright vith you,” Viktor explained.

“Of course!” Hermione shrieked drawing everyone’s attentions.

The whole room exploded in cheers and congratulations as Viktor and Natasha announced their upcoming nuptials. Hermione was thrilled when Natasha asked her to be her only bridesmaid and Ron was shocked when Viktor asked him to stand with him. Harry’s birthday ended with joy and happiness, everyone blissfully forgetting what happened the previous year.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Thadeus and Nadia were the first awake. They crept timidly into the room where Harry and Ron were snoring away. Each of them had a very cold cup of water. Ever so silently, they each approached the sleeping men and positioned themselves by their heads. On the count of three, they poured the frigid water over the boys who yelped and sputtered awake.

Hearing the giggling culprits dash down the stairs, Ron and Harry laughed and ran after them. Ron caught Thadeus on the landing, but Nadia got all the way downstairs before Harry swept her up into his arms.

“Well Harry,” Ron bellowed as he held Thadeus upside down by the leg. “What should we do with these hooligans?”

“I don’t know Ron, maybe tickle them to death?” Harry suggested as Nadia screeched under his fingers.

Ron mimicked Harry and soon the children were howling with laughter. Tonks and Molly rescued the little fiends, much to their dismay, and ordered everyone to breakfast. Harry and Ron dried their wet heads before tucking into the table. Bill and Fleur were the last to arrive to the breakfast table, and she was looking dangerously green.

Molly sympathized with the girl and passed her a plate of ginger cookies. The matron knew morning sickness well and knew that ginger was really the only remedy. As she saw Fleur get progressively worse in the past weeks, she had taken to keeping a healthy supply of ginger cookies available.

Once everyone sat down and were busy eating, Molly made her announcement. “Everyone, it’s time we had a little discussion. Now that Hermione and Greg are settled in their own home, and Grimmauld Place officially belongs to the Lupins, I think its time we Weasleys return to the Burrow.

“When your father died, he left us all letters to be read a year after his passing. Since yesterday was Harry’s birthday, I decided to put that off. In my letter, he left me enough money to rebuild the Burrow. It won’t be as large, but it will be much nicer.

“I have each of your letters and would like you all to meet me at the Burrow at noon so we can discuss the building plans. With the twins moving into their flats next week, and Charlie renting a small apartment from the goblins, we won’t need much room. Percy already has a flat, though he never goes there, and Bill and Fleur have a family on the way. I’m certain you don’t want to be living with me for much longer.

“We’ll go this afternoon to set up plans and buy supplies. We’ll need space for Ginny and I, as well as two spare bedrooms for Ron and Harry. After that you have the day to yourselves,” Molly finished with a smile and began to pass out Arthur’s letters.

Each person looked at the letters and no one wanted to speak first.

“I promised I’d get Nadia back to Viktor for lunch. Come on darling, let’s get you ready,” Hermione said hastily, as she took her letter from Molly.

They watched her collect Nadia before returning their stares to their letters. Remus looked sadly at the parchment and sighed. “Molly, you and your family, will always be welcome here.”

“Thank you, Remus, but it’s time. I’ll see you all in a bit,” with that, Molly Weasley Disapparated.

Harry and Ron gazed at their letters. Ginny’s eyes were already full with tears and she quickly excused herself and fled out the back door and into the garden. Harry knew better than to follow her and opened his letter taking a deep breath.

Harry,
Ten minutes ago, I checked in on you and Ron. You two are brothers aren’t you? I hope you realize I think of you as much of a son as Ron and the rest. I watch you, fast asleep, hopefully dreaming of wonderful things. Tomorrow, well today rather, you will wake up as an adult in the wizarding world. So much responsibility has already been thrust into your hands; it seems silly to refer to you as a child. But for a few more minutes you are…

Molly and I see you as our own child. We love you and respect you. We knew from the moment our sons stole that flying car, you were one of us. I loved the way you would roll your eyes when Hermione and Ron would fight. I’m proud that you helped the twins start their store, and I’m thrilled that my daughter fell in love with you.

I never thought I could share her with another man, but you see, Harry, you will always be another one of my children. It doesn’t hurt to trust her with you. I know you will love her fiercely and I know she will do the same for you. I fell in love with her mother when I was your age and history tends to repeat itself.

Love each other the way Molly and I love each other. Fight for the sake of making up. Try to compromise before giving in to her every whim. Never underestimate her; she’ll kill you. Laugh with her and play with her. Value her intellect and her passion. Never take her for granted; you’re smarter than that.

Be good to her and make her be good to you, too. I love you as much as the redheads.
Dad


Tears silently fell down Harry’s face as he read the note. Ron sniffed heavily beside him. Remus was quietly laughing to himself and Tonks chewed on a finger while she read. Harry watched as Fleur and Bill finished their letters and quickly left the room, while Fred and George smiled at each other before heading for the shop.

Ron cleared his throat. “I think I’ll take Nadia back with Hermione. See you in a bit.”

Harry nodded, stepping away from the table. He walked into the back yard and scanned for Ginny. After a moment, he spied a slender leg, dangling from a tree. He moved to her and quietly admired her beauty, waiting for her to speak first.

“It still hurts,” she whispered without looking at him.

“I know,” he said offering a hand to help her down.

She let his arms guide her and pulled herself to the ground. She hugged him tightly and smiled when he kissed her head lightly. Sniffing, she wiped her tears and thrust a parchment in his hands.

“I know you want to know what mine said, and I want to know what’s in yours, so let’s switch okay?” she asked timidly.

Harry nodded dumbly and handed his letter to her. He watched her immediately start to read and did the same. His throat closed as he read, missing the man behind the words.

My Ginny Girl,
I can’t say I have ever been more proud of you than the day you punched Percy. I would only wish you hadn’t backed him into that corner. I would have loved seeing him fall flat on his backside.

You were always the exception to the rule: The first female Weasley in seven generations, the one who always snuck out at night to fly, the one who could tame your brothers with a single glance. I envied your strength. I was so proud when you were born, not just because you were a girl, but also because you were my daughter. Your mother and I would watch you fly under the night sky for hours. We loved your rebelliousness and, though it terrified us at times, we cherished it. It was always hard for you, a younger sister of six interfering brothers, but you brought every one of them to their knees.

I knew that someday you would fall in love, to my great misfortune it happened when you were thirteen. I know you were embarrassed after being taken into the Chamber, but I watched you. You never loved the Boy-Who-Lived. You fell for Harry and to my great relief; he loved you too.

I don’t think he knew it until he was sixteen, but boys are stupid about these things. I always worried that your brothers would tease and torment you after you began dating. I was pleased that they did, but then you had to fall in love with the one man they all love and respect. How unfortunate for them.

I trust Harry with you, but equally so, I trust you with Harry. He is like a son to me and when he asks you to marry him, know that I’m proud of you both. I know better than to tell you to take care of your mother, but take care of my sons. Help their wives; they will need it. Pity the women that marry the twins. Always help Hermione feel like part of the family and tell her I knew she would be my daughter-in-law someday. It will make her smile.

I love you sweet heart. I wrote this letter just days after Dumbledore’s funeral because I know that when the battles begin, I’ll gladly fall in your place…or in the place of any of these people. Don’t mourn me, remember me and laugh at my silly old ways.

Daddy


Reviews 240
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear