Search:

SIYE Time:10:33 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Mistlefinger
By Potter47

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, December Engagement Challenge (2006-6)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 28
Summary: The world was bleak from the war. It was dangerous, it was treacherous, it was full of uncertainty... But it was Christmas. And so at Hogwarts, everything was all right again, if only for a little while.
Hitcount: Story Total: 17611; Chapter Total: 4396





Author's Notes:
I dunno if I'm going to get the final chapter up before the deadline, but I'm gonna try. Wish me luck. =]




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Mistlefinger
Potter47

II


The world was bleak, from the war. It was dangerous, it was treacherous, it was full of uncertainty...

But it was Christmas. And so at Hogwarts, everything was all right again, if only for a little while.

* * *


The next day, while Crookshanks was once again warming by the Gryffindor fire, Harry, Hermione, and the four Weasleys were outside, having a snowball fight.

Harry had somehow wound up with the twins on his side, versus Ron and the girls, and they were quite the allies. George had known some spell that had built a very, very adequate snow fort, with a turret for each of them to hide behind, and a deep trench full of snowballs. Ron and Ginny were attempting assaults on the fort, while Hermione worked behind a small pile of snow to conjure up a base of their own.

"I've never actually looked up snow fort spells, if you'd believe it," she said, biting her lip.

"Then what on earth did you do in the library all those years?" jeered Fred.

Then Hermione's face alighted, and she pointed her wand. In another moment, a great castle at least twice the size of the twins' shot up in the air from the snow bank, and she, Ron, and Ginny disappeared within it.

"Damn," said George, and he ducked down out of view. Fred and Harry did the same.

"There's no way we'll be able to hit them from here," said George, thinking. He whispered: "I'm going to crawl out there and try to infiltrate. You two keep up appearances."

They nodded, and George crawled away outside.

Fred jumped up, and launched a snowball at the castle--it biffed harmlessly off of the outer wall and dissolved to the ground just as another ball flew towards him. He dove out of the way.

"That was close," said Fred.

"A bit," said Harry.

Then, out of the blue, Fred said: "You know, Harry, you and I need to have a talk."

Harry blinked. "We do?"

"Oh, yes we do."

Harry stood quickly, launched a ball at the castle to no effect, and ducked back down again.

"About what?" he asked, although he had an odd feeling he knew.

Fred's turn: up, throw, biff, down.

"About Ginny, of course. Your letter's all mum and dad've been talking about, you know."

Harry felt the blood rush to his face.

"Is it?" he said, taking a futile shot.

"Yup," said Fred. He moved a few steps over to George's turret, stood, and threw--to throw off the scent.

"And what do they, uh... think?"

Fred laughed. "Come on, Harry, this is my parents we're talking about, they're head over heels for you."

Harry let out a breath he hadn't quite noticed he'd been holding. "Well," he said, "I hadn’t gotten a reply, so I've been kinda nervous..."

"Of course you got a reply," said Fred. Up, throw, biff, down. "We're you're reply."

"What?"

Fred laughed. "You didn't really buy that we're just here to hang around with you lot, did you?"

"Maybe?"

"Well, no. Mum and dad sent us to help you out. Mum has certain plans in mind regarding the ring, and she wants to make sure you don't flub up. That is, unless you already bought it?"

Harry laughed a nervous sort of laugh. "Uh, no, of course not."

This time they both went at once: up, throw, biff, down, but Harry was too slow on the down part, and took a snowball to the chest.

"Ow," he said.

"We're gonna sneak you to Hogsmeade tonight," said Fred.

"Tonight?"

"Yeah, of course. You've only got two days, after all."

"Two days? Till what?"

"Till the proposal."

Harry furrowed his brow. "How do you figure?"

"That snowball hit you in the head, Harry?" asked Fred.

"No--"

"Well, what's in two days?"

"Christmas--"

"Exactly. And unless you feel like waiting till Valentine's, you'd better be ready on Christmas morning."

Harry swallowed, and fell silent.

"I thought so," said Fred.

A shriek emerged from the castle, in Ginny's voice, and then the loud laugh of George.

"AHA!"

Fred grinned. "The sound of victory."

* * *

That night, Crookshanks was alone in the common room. Fred and George and Harry were nowhere to be found. Ron and Hermione had gone off on some sort of "romantic stroll" that didn't seem very romantic at all, and more than a bit forced.

The only human left in Gryffindor Tower that night was Ginny, and so Crookshanks--bored, and curious--stood from his spot by the fire, stretched, and headed up the girls' staircase.

When he found Ginny, she was laying in her bed with a book. Crookshanks jumped up to join her with a meow, and she jumped--startled by the sudden furry presence.

"Crookshanks, what are you doing here?" asked Ginny, voice full of surprise and something else.

Crookshanks chose not to respond.

He noticed then, what the "something else" had been. There were tears in Ginny's eyes, and they made her voice sound a bit stuffy. She took a deep breath.

"What?" she said. "You're looking at me funny."

He looked down to the book in her lap, trying to see what it was.

"Oh, this?" said Ginny, pulling him closer--rather abruptly--so that he could see. "This is a photo album, my mum and dad's." A beat, and then: "Their wedding."

Crookshanks looked at the pages--a young redhaired woman in a long white dress, and a redhaired young man along with her in dress robes.

Ginny gasped--almost a hiccup. Then:

"Oh, Crookshanks, I'm so nervous," she said, petting his fur a bit too roughly. "I think he's gonna do it, I really do, and I dunno if I'm ready... It's driving me crazy..."

The hand stopped petting.

"Of course I'm going crazy, i'm talking to a cat." She looked down at him, then, and cupped his face in her hand, leading him to look up at her. "Do you have any idea what I'm going on about?" she asked, in a hopeless sort of voice.

"Meow," he said, and her eyebrows shot up for a moment, before lowering again with a laugh.

"I'm going nuts," she said, shaking her head.

Suddenly, the door slammed open, sending Crookshanks off the bed. Hermione was standing in the doorway, looking furious. She was sobbing.

"I did it," she said. "It's over, he pushed me too far, I really did it."

Ginny's eyes widened. "Did what?" she asked, hoping she didn't already know the answer...

Hermione practically threw herself at one of the empty beds, her hand over her eyes--the tears splattered out anyway. Crookshanks jumped up on the bed, to try to comfort her.

"I dumped Ron," she said.





Reviews 28
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear