Search:

SIYE Time:8:27 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Red Dawn Rises
By Mojomig

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 17
Summary: Amongst smouldering ruins, Ginny watches as Voldemort gloats over his victory. What will rise from the ashes as Hogsmeade burns?
Hitcount: Story Total: 5136



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This short story got into my head and wouldn't go away until I wrote it down...





ChapterPrinter


At first, there was pain. Nothing but pain. As Ginny Weasley's consciousness returned, she was overwhelmed by the intensity of it. After a few raspy, shallow breaths, she tentatively opened her eyes. Everything was blurry. She could make out shapes; flickering orange, wispy grey. Blinking several times, some semblance of clarity returned. She tried to sit up. A fire like a hundred stabbing knives coursed through her body, persuading her to stay still. Unable to turn her head, Ginny Weasley could only look down the street.

---

Her senses were violently assaulted. She remembered. She was in Hogsmeade. There had been a battle. The battle that would end the war, one way or another. She was laying, by the side of the road, her body bloody and broken. She had walked into a stray Reducto.

In her mouth, she could taste blood. Her own blood, tainted by the dust and ash that blew in the air. In her ears, she could hear the crackling of the flames, the screaming of the injured, the wailing of the bereaved and the crying of the orphaned. With her fingers, she could feel the cold, hard ground that was moist with blood from her own wounds. Through her nose, she could smell smoke, dust, and the unmistakable stench of death.

But worst of all, she could see bodies flung everywhere. Some alive, some dead. Some conscious, some not. Some dying, a few living. Order members, Aurors, teachers, students, villagers, Death Eaters, Giants, and Trolls.

All buildings except one were destroyed. The whole village was reduced to piles of rubble. Fires were burning. Smoke was rising into the red sky of the dawn. "A red sky indeed," thought Ginny Weasley. "Blood has been spilled this night."

---

Unable to tear her gaze away, Ginny Weasley watched the demise of the final building. Its burning structure slowly gave way. She saw the walls crumble and the roof collapse. It was perhaps 100 yards from her, yet she still felt the tremors from the falling building.

One man stood alone in the middle of the street. He too watched the final building fall to the ground, in a cloud of dust, ash and smoke. Ginny Weasley watched as the man threw back his head and laughed. A cold, hissing, spitting laugh that chilled her to the very core.

"It is over! It is over!" proclaimed the man. "I have won. I am immortal. The world will bow down to me! I will purge the world of those who are not worthy. Those who are traitors. Those who are weak."

---

As the horror of those words reached her ears, Ginny Weasley knew that he had been in that final building. Harry was dead. All hope was gone. For the world. For herself. The life she had hoped to lead with Harry was nothing more than a faded illusion. Ginny Weasley closed her eyes once more, hoping that death would claim her. As she lay, broken and beaten, memories of their time together floated across her mind.

---

Waking up in the chamber to find him there, giving his own life to save hers.

Following him to the ministry to save Sirius.

That kiss after that Quidditch match and the wonderful, happy weeks that followed.

Those most painful of words at Dumbledore's funeral, when he broke things off to protect her.

The most joyous of days when he begged for another chance. When he told her that she was his strength. That he loved her.

That day when Fawkes came to Harry. Fawkes trilling his beautiful song. Harry saying "Hello, my brother!" to Fawkes

The year that followed. Amazing yet terrifying, exhausting but exhilarating.

The battle.

Being separated.

Waking up to watch the last building collapse on top of him.

The despair of life without him.

Wanting to die.

---

Opening her eyes once again, this time with huge trepidation, she waited, fearful of what the Dark Lord would do next. Voldemort turned imperiously and deliberately, surveying the village of Hogsmeade.

"People of the World. Welcome to a new day. A new age is beginning. The age of Voldemort."

Voldemort continued pontificating, all the while rotating slowly on the spot, calling mockingly to anyone who was misfortunate to be left alive.

"Your heroes are gone. There is no one who can defeat me. The old fool, Dumbledore was killed on my orders and now the boy Potter has been crushed and burned by my own hands. You will all worship the mighty Dark Lord".

Ginny could not drag her eyes away from the abomination that once was Tom Riddle. She felt sick. Sick from the pain of her battered body, but also at the terrifying prospect of a world ruled by Voldemort. A world with no love. A world with no hope. A world with no Harry Potter.

Movement in that last building suddenly caught Voldemort's eye. Ginny's gaze diverted as well. The flames that had continued to burn seemed to grow in intensity. To the two observers it appeared that a burning figure was rising up from the rubble, into a standing position. The figure had its arms outstretched and was burning with bright, hot flames. The figure stepped calmly out of the rubble of the burning building, arms still outstretched. It walked to Voldemort who stood mesmerised, incapable of moving. The flames died back to reveal a man. A man with black hair and small, round glasses. Taller, stronger, healthier than ever before. His lightning scar gone.

"What sorcery is this?" screamed Voldemort

"You split your soul into seven pieces. Two have been destroyed. One piece died when we first met, fifteen years ago. Another was used up when you were resurrected. That leaves three. I, on the other hand, shared my soul with my brother and he shared his with me."

Fawkes appeared on Harry's shoulder. The confusion in Ginny Weasley's tired mind was replaced by understanding. "Hello, my brother!" were the words he had spoken, those many months ago.

"I have achieved what you could not. I am immortal. Each time I die I will rise again from the ashes. I only have to kill you three more times and the world will be rid of the curse of Lord Voldemort forever. Goodbye, Tom. See you in fifteen years."

Harry held his wand to Voldemort's chest and softly spoke two more words.

"Avada Kedavra."

---
Reviews 17
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear