Search:

SIYE Time:10:58 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 27
Summary: Summer is over and Ginny must return to Hogwarts for her seventh year . . . without Harry and James. Join her as she says goodbye to her family and boards the Hogwarts Express for her final year. A one-shot from the "It Happened One Night" universe.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9705



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:

Well here is a one-shot following the events of It Happened One Night. It takes place between Chapter Twenty Nine and the Epilogue. Is it not necessary to read It Happened One Night to understand it, but it might answer some questions you might have if you do. I hope you all enjoy it!

Those of you reading Adventures in Courtship, I apologize for the wait but know that the next chapter is coming soon. Real Life caught up with my beta. Trust me, I will not abandon that, for now enjoy this one shot.

I want to say thank you to everyone to nominated my story Adventures in Courtship for the Silver Trinket Awards here on SIYE for Best Romance. I don't know who did it but I was shocked and happy to see that people enjoyed my story that much. Thank you!!!
As always, please read, review and enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: Still JKR's world but with the addition of my own.






ChapterPrinter



Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder by SunDevil05


“Ginny! Get up right now young lady!”

Ginny groaned and rolled onto her side, away from the warmth of Harry’s body. Within seconds, she felt him drape an arm around her waist and pulled her back to him, nuzzling the back of her neck. She sighed in her sleep, relishing in the feeling of Harry holding her and feeling safe in his arms. She loved this part of marriage. Falling asleep with the man she loved and waking up with him so close to her and doing it every night and every morning.

It suddenly hit her that this was the last morning she would spend waking up in his arms in a very long time for today was the first of September and she was going back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for her final year of school.

Ginny rolled to her other side and buried her head in Harry’s chest. She didn’t want to go back. She didn’t want to leave him and their son. How was she going to survive being away from them? They were allowed to visit on the weekends, but that wasn’t going to make up for all the time she was going to miss. James was growing up so fast, learning something new everyday. She wanted to be there to watch him grow and learn and she was going to miss it all.

There was a sharp rapping on the door.

“Ginevra, get up! You’re going to be late if you don’t hurry!” Molly’s sharp voice came from behind the door.

“We’ll be out soon, Mum,” Harry called.

“Well, hurry! You have to get James ready too!”

And with that, Ginny heard her mother walking away from the door.

Neither one of them moved from where they lay. They didn’t want to let go of each other, each trying to get the most of their last moments together lying in bed in the morning.

“We really should get up,” Harry suggested.

“I don’t want to. I want to stay here with you all day and never leave this bed and everyone can leave us alone,” Ginny muttered snuggling closer to Harry.

“What about James?” Harry asked. Ginny finally opened her eyes and looked up to see him looking sleepily back at her.

“He can stay in bed with us. Everyone else can leave us the bloody hell alone,” Ginny clarified.

“Bluty!” a voice giggled. “Bluty!”

They stared at each other in surprise and Ginny rolled over again, propping herself up on her elbows. She peered over the side of the bed and saw the smiling face of her nearly fifteen month old son as he sat on the floor of their bedroom, his blue bunny in his arms.

“Bluty!” he said again and grinned up at her.

“James Elijah Potter!” Ginny exclaimed and hurriedly got out of bed. “Don’t say that!” she admonished him, ignoring the fact that he was supposed to be in his cot and not on their bedroom floor.

“Bluty!” James squealed.

“No,” Ginny said and picked him up. “Bad.”

“Bluty!”

Ginny heard Harry snigger from behind her. She turned and glared at him.

“It’s not funny! Stop encouraging him!” she hissed.

“Oh but it is! You always tell me to watch my language in front of him and the one time you swear in front of him, it’s his new favorite word!” Harry exclaimed.

“I didn’t know he was in here,” Ginny defended herself and looked down at her son. “How did you get in here anyway?”

“I think he’s been practicing some of that magic of his again,” Harry suggested as he threw his legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Harry walked to the other side of the bed and took James from Ginny. He peered inside James’ room and nodded. “The rail on his cot is down. He must have used his magic to get himself out and toddled his way into here.” Harry turned and grinned at her. “Then he picked up on Mummy’s language.”

Ginny glared at him and smacked him lightly on the shoulder. Harry recoiled from her slightly.

“Hey! I have a child in my arms! Besides, you should watch yourself around James. He may pick up on your violent nature,” Harry teased.

Ginny glared at him and rolled her eyes.

“Prat,” she murmured quietly to herself.

“Per-at!” James exclaimed happily.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake!” Ginny exclaimed and ignored Harry’s laughter.

“Come on James,” Harry chuckled and carried James into his bedroom.

Ginny let out a long sigh as she heard their laughter from within the next room. She pulled on her dressing gown and picked out some clothes for the day. She heard James’ excited laughter coming from the slightly ajar door. She peeked inside and smiled at the sight of Harry making funny faces at their son. Sadness filled her and she blinked back tears. She would miss moments like these. With a sad smile, she left the door and headed towards the washroom.

Nearly an hour later Ginny was kneeling in front of her trunk and double checking the contents of it. James was sitting on the floor next to her, watching his mother intently while Harry was taking his turn in the shower. Ginny sighed and glanced at her son.

“I wish I could take you with me, little one,” she said and tapped his nose with her finger. He giggled and reached out to her.

“Mama!”

Ginny took him in her arms and kissed the top of his head. “I’m going to miss you and Daddy so much.”

“Mama,” he simply replied and grinned at her. Ginny smiled and nuzzled her nose against his. He giggled as he tried to nuzzle her back. Ginny laughed and began to tickle him, her trunk forgotten.

James’ squeals of laughter filled the room as he wiggled in Ginny’s lap. Ginny laughed along with him as she continued to tickle her son.

“Really, Ginny, if you waste anymore time you’re going to miss the train. You’re already late as it is.”

Molly was standing in the doorway, her hands on her hips and watching her daughter and grandson.

“Mum, aren’t I allowed to spend a little time with my son. Besides, look at his cute little face. How can you resist that?” Ginny said, turning James so he was facing Molly. Her mother’s face softened and she sighed.

“Well hurry up and get down for breakfast,” Molly said and left the two of them.

Ginny finished with checking her trunk and scooped James into her arms. She made her way downstairs, where her parents were already enjoying breakfast and sat James in his highchair.

“Are you sure you’re all packed and ready to go?” Molly asked and set a plate in front of Ginny.

“Yes Mum, I’m sure,” Ginny replied and rolled her eyes when Molly turned her back on her. Ginny loaded her plate and tore off a piece of toast and handed it to James.

“All your books?” Molly asked and set a sippy cup of juice on the tray of James’ highchair.

“Yes.”

“And your clothes?”

“Yes.”

“And your supplies?”

“I think she’s got everything,” Harry answered for her as he entered the kitchen. He kissed her cheek in greeting and ruffled the top of James’ head. “And if she doesn’t then I can always bring it to her on the weekend.”

Ginny smiled at him but couldn’t help the twinge of pain she felt. She didn’t like that she wasn’t going to see her family every day for the next ten months.

She watched as Harry moved around the kitchen and filled up a bowl of oatmeal. He grabbed a spoon and sat down on the other sides of James.

“Hungry?” he asked his son and began scooping up the oatmeal.

“Let me,” Ginny said. Harry stopped the spoon he held in mid air and looked at Ginny. James reached out for it and Harry pulled it out of his reach before James could knock it over. He whined and scowled at his father.

“I thought I would give you a break,” Harry said and smiled at her. “You do it every morning after all.”

“Please?” she asked and pulled the bowl towards her. James was eyeing it and looked confused. He glanced between his parents and his scowl deepened. “It’ll be the last time I can for a long time.”

Harry’s features softened and he handed her the spoon. She smiled at him and James now fixed his scowl on his mother.

“Foo!” the fifteen month old demanded and banged his fists on the tray of his highchair. “Bluty! Bluty!”

Ginny blinked in surprise and looked at her son horrified.

“What did he say?” Molly asked in shock staring at her grandson.

“Nothing Mum,” Ginny said. “It’s just baby talk. Open up sweetheart.”

Ginny silenced her son by filling his mouth with oatmeal and hoped that her mother didn’t pry. The last thing she needed right now was her mother to lecture her on how easily he picked up on words. She was very well aware of that.

All too quickly breakfast was over and Ginny was sitting in the backseat of a Ministry car with James and Harry next to her while Molly and Arthur were in the front. None of her brothers were able to make it and Ron was spending the week with Hermione at her parents’ home before his training with Harry began.

Ginny spent the ride fussing over James and playing with him, trying to memorize his sweet laugh. She was really going to miss him. Harry had watched them and she noticed he had a sad look on his face. Evidently, he was going to miss her as well.

They reached King’s Cross much too quickly for Ginny’s taste and with only about twenty minutes to spare. Harry retrieved her trunk from the boot of the car while Ginny held onto James. They followed Molly and Arthur into the station. Ginny’s hold on her son became tighter as they neared the entrance to Platform 9 ¾ . She did not want to let go and wanted to remember what it felt like to hold him.

Before long they were standing before the scarlet engine. Students were milling about, visiting each other, and saying goodbyes to their families. Harry had already taken Ginny’s trunk onto the train and was standing with her and her family.

Ginny continued to hold onto James while she hugged her parents with one arm.

“Have a good year, dear,” Molly said smiling at her daughter. “I can’t believe this is your last year. Seems like only yesterday you were starting your first year.”

“They grow up so fast,” Arthur said his arm around Molly’s shoulders and they both looked wistfully at their daughter.

“Don’t remind me,” Ginny replied kissing the top of James’ head and gazing down at her son.

Arthur seemed to have realized what he said and sighed.

“Right, well, Harry we’ll be waiting by the car,” he said. Molly frowned up at him and he whispered something to her. She nodded and smiled at her daughter.

“Goodbye dear,” she said and kissed Ginny’s cheek. “I know it’s going to hard but you know he’ll be in very good hands.”

Ginny nodded her understanding. They shared a smile and Ginny watched as her parents left her with James and Harry on the platform.

James rested his head on Ginny’s shoulder and was gazing around the platform with interest. Ginny watched his face already missing it and sighed.

Ginny looked up at her husband and gave him a weary smile.

“I guess this is it,” he said quietly and she nodded.

“I don’t want it to be though,” she replied feeling her eyes grow wet with tears. “I don’t want to leave you two.”

“Well you could always skip your seventh year,” Harry suggested. “Pull a Fred and George.”

Ginny laughed softly and shook her head. “I can’t do that. I have to finish school. I just wish that I didn’t have to be away from you two.”

“Me too,” Harry said softly. He reached out with a hand and caressed her cheek. “I’m really going to miss you Gin.”

“I’m going to miss you too,” she whispered. “Both of you.”

He leaned forward and gave her a lingering kiss. Ginny would have thrown her arms around him and kissed him for all he was worth but she was not going to let her son go.

“I love you Ginny,” Harry whispered when he pulled away but kept his face close to hers.

“I love you too Harry,” Ginny replied and looked down at James. He was watching his parents closely. It seemed as if he sensed that something was going on but he didn’t know what yet. “And I love you too my little one.”

She kissed James and he giggled. He clapped his hands and tried to kiss his mother’s cheek. Ginny laughed and hugged him closely to her.

“Ginny!”

She turned and saw her friends and roommates Claire, Melanie, and Bridget heading towards them. A similar image that happened exactly a year ago popped into Ginny’s mind. Was it only a year ago that she was a brand new mother and was trying to hide the fact that she had a son?

James snuggled up close to Ginny and one of his hands clenched tightly onto her shirt. She had noticed lately that her son was not very keen on strangers close to him. Harry thought that it was because of his kidnapping that he acted that way. Ginny couldn’t blame her son. She would be scared of strangers too if she had gone through such a traumatic experience at a young age.

“Oh my, is that James?” Melanie asked smiling warmly at the child in Ginny’s arms.

“Yeah, that’s him,” Harry replied putting his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and smiling at her friends. James cuddled closer to her and buried his face into Ginny’s shoulder.

“Wow! He certainly did grow over summer,” Claire commented. “He’s getting big.”

“He is,” Ginny agreed and sadly looked down at her son.

Last year, he was just a newborn and so small. It was amazing how much he changed over the course of a year and it torn at her heart that she was going to miss a whole year in his life.

“Well,” Bridget sighed. “We’ll see you on the train, right?”

Ginny nodded and her friends said goodbye to Harry. Once again she was left alone with her husband and son.

“I can’t do this Harry,” Ginny said and shook her head. “I can’t. I don’t want to let him go.”

Harry sighed. “You’ll see him on the weekends.”

“That’s not enough!” Ginny cried. “I’m going to miss him and you so much. It’ll be just like last year except you get to be with him all the time and I can’t.”

“Oh Ginny,” Harry sighed and hugged, James sandwiched between them. He giggled and tried to grab Harry’s glasses. Harry stopped him and slowly pulled away.

“It’s going to be okay,” he assured her. “I know it’s going to be hard.”

“Too hard,” she added.

The five minute warning whistle blew and Ginny knew her time was up.

“Okay James,” Ginny said to her son putting on a brave face. “Now listen you. You listen to Daddy, okay? Make sure Daddy doesn’t hurt his knee again. We don’t want him on crutches again, do we love? No, we want Daddy to be able to run after you since Mummy can’t for a while.”

James watched her intently. “Mama?”

Tears were starting to leave her eyes, causing the vision of her son to be blurry. She wiped at them with her free hand.

“I’m really going to miss you angel,” she said. “I love you so much. Now be a good boy for Daddy and don’t do anything cute until the weekends.”

She kissed his cheek and held him tightly. She couldn’t let go of her son but she knew she had to.

Carefully, she handed him to Harry but that didn’t stop her from covering his face with kisses.

“You’re going to miss the train,” Harry whispered after a few moments.

Ginny nodded not trusting her voice and felt her eyes fill with tears again. She threw her arms around her husband and son and held them tight. She whispered a goodbye to them and got onto the train. She ran down to the compartment Harry had put her trunk in, barely registering that her friends were in there. She threw open the window and stuck her head outside.

Harry had run down the length of the train and stood just outside the window with James in his arms.

“Mama!” James cried and looked at his mother. He seemed to have understood that she was leaving and was reaching out for her.

“I love you sweetheart!” she called to him. “Be good, okay?”

“Don’t worry Gin. We’ll see you on the weekend, okay?” Harry said and she noticed that his eyes were glistening behind his glasses.

She nodded and felt the train stop to move forward. She kept her head out waving at her family while the tears feel freely from her eyes and didn’t move until the train turned the corner and the image of her son and husband waving back at her were gone.

Ginny sat back in her seat continuing to cry and not caring who saw. It was so hard to say goodbye to the ones you loved. It was going to be a very long week and she could not wait for the weekend to come. She wished it could be the weekend everyday, but she knew that was not possible. For now, as she curled up onto the bench and closed her eyes, she would dream about her family and hold onto the memories she had. It was going to be a very long year.

Sighing she opened her eyes and went to her trunk. Ginny could feel her roommates staring at her and knew that they wanted to help but she didn’t really want their comfort yet. She opened her trunk and pulled out a picture from the top.

Harry was holding James, both of them laughing. The Harry in the picture would point straight at the camera and soon after he and the James in the picture waved before Harry attacked James with tickles. She could almost hear James’ squeal of delight had Harry’s laugh. The picture was a gift to her from Harry. He had given it to her on her seventeenth birthday to remember them by. She resumed her spot on the bench and watched the picture of her loved ones the entire ride back to Hogwarts.

It was going to be tough and Ginny was no stranger to things being tough. After all, she had dealt with being Harry Potter’s wife and the mother of his child at the mere age of sixteen all during a war and she had gotten through that just fine. She would make it and soon enough she would be with her men again.

With a smile on her face, Ginny stepped off the train and into the Hogsmeade station clutching the picture of her son and husband against her chest and ready to start a new year.
Reviews 27
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear