Search:

SIYE Time:4:05 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Lady, Why Must We Bleed?
By Kiss Magdalena

- Text Size +

Category: Hogwarts Express Challenge (2006-3)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: A girl meets her demise on the Hogwarts Express. Someone ended her life, and though many think it is for the best, some just can’t help but think something is just a little too wrong. Was this an act of desperation, or the end result of a slow death?
Hitcount: Story Total: 15147; Chapter Total: 2781







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Two

Harry, Ginny, and Luna were asked to stay behind after the Head Boy forced the onlookers to return to their compartments. The young man pulled a coin out of his pocket, much like the ones the DA had used to communicate, and tapped it with his wand. He then pocketed it and turned toward them.

“Potter, you are probably not aware of this, but Dumbledore already knew of the attack on Hogwarts, and took some preventative measures to insure the safety of his students. One of these measures included training the Head Boy and Girl in case of emergencies. He informed us, that should anything strange occur at the school after his death, we should contact you for help. Dumbledore explained that you knew certain information about the Dark Arts that would prove valuable. This is why I am asking you to look into this situation.”

Harry froze, his eyes growing wide. “Wait, I do not understand.”

The Head Boy nodded and pulled a scroll from his pocket and handed it to Harry. “I was informed that this should be given to you should a particular event occur. It has, so here you are.”

Harry took the offered scroll, and nearly choked on his own emotions when he noticed the wax seal with an emblazoned ‘D’. It was from Dumbledore, and obviously written sometime ago, for the parchment was an aged yellow.

Dear Harry,

If this note reaches you then it means the plot against my life was fulfilled. Do not fret over me, for I have many happy memories to carry me through to my next destination. The one thing I am sure to regret, however, will be my failure to inform you of certain issues. This letter, imparted to a dear student and a powerful ally, should clarify a few misnomers.

The foretelling of Miss Daphne Greengrass’ death came to me through Miss Trelawney last summer. I was deeply grieved by this information, for Miss Greengrass’ mother had sought my help in preventing the induction of her daughter into the Dark Lord’s rank. Unfortunately, the late Mrs. Greengrass’ death kept any action being taken on that front. However, I received a strange letter from the girl before this school term began, informing me of two horcruxes. The location of one of these, the one in the cave, she was willing to disclose. The other she claimed she would be forced to return to Voldemort safely or it would mean her death. Apparently this particular artifact had a far more menacing curse than the others I have encountered.

You will find great allies in the Head Boy and Girl, whose skills in crowd management and Dark Arts prevention are commendable. Both are top candidates for future Aurors, and very devoted to the cause. They have been informed to give you reign over Miss Greengrass’ case, and to help you in any fashion.

I know little of Miss Greengrass’ assailant, and even less about the circumstances surrounding her death. What I ask you to do is to find her killer, but more importantly, find the horcrux she was to deliver before the train arrives at King’s Cross. That horcrux must not find its way off the train.

On the next page you will find a list of useful spells. Please feel free to enlist the help of your friends, especially Miss Lovegood. Her perceptiveness is rather uncanny.

D.D.

Harry quickly pocketed the note and then pulled out the list of spells. He had only seen a few of them before, most referenced in books, but the descriptions beside them made him feel anxious. How was he going to find the girl’s murderer and the horcrux before they reached Platform 9 ¾? He sighed and then glanced at the Head Boy.

“Okay, is there any way we can keep people calmed down and away from this compartment? Also, I need the help of Hermione Granger and these two.” Harry pointed at Ginny and Luna, who had been watching the exchange quietly.

The Head Boy nodded. “Sophia, the Head Girl, has already put the Prefects to work on crowd control. The students are being forced back into their compartments and given a makeshift story for the time being. We can use the compartment you were just in so the murder scene is not disturbed too much.”

“Hold on, murder scene?” Ginny asked, butting into the conversation. Harry and the Head Boy just nodded at her and continued talking.

“Okay, where should I find Hermione? I know I was asked to lead this investigation, but there is no way I can do this without her help.”

The Head Boy smiled grimly. “Sophia should already have her moving in this direction. As the letter stated, we have been previously informed of this event.”

Harry nodded mutely. “Then what else needs to be done?”

“For now you need to explain what you know to your friends behind you. When Miss Granger arrives she will already have a stack of information including the seating assignments for each student, a list all of the adult passengers on the train and their current condition, and some other useful information. Sophia should also send a friend of hers, another trusted student, who is studying to be a medi-witch. Her name is Catherine, and she should be able to perform some quick tests on the victim.”

The Head Boy then said good-bye and left the three students standing in the hallway, completely baffled. Immediately Ginny started hounding Harry for answers, and he explained all he knew to both inquisitive girls. The only thing he left out was the information on the horcrux, information he had only revealed to Hermione and Ron.

Ginny had been slightly shocked to learn of the girl’s death, but even more surprised to learn that Daphne had been on a track of redemption. Luna, on the other hand, had been mortified by the Slytherin’s death, but not at all surprised that Daphne had turned to Dumbledore for help. Luna’s only comment had been that Daphne had been one of the most understanding people she had ever met. Indeed, Daphne had even given her a small Christmas present for the time Luna unknowingly comforted her in the library. That had been an extremely commendable action in Luna’s opinion.

“Did you know she was dating Terry Boot?” Ginny asked her mind still reeling.

Harry shook his head, staring at the closed compartment door with a wayward expression. “No, I had not heard that.”

“They have been dating for almost a year,” Luna continued wistfully, her eyes glazing over with a memory. “They were so in love. Poor Terry.”

Harry grunted. Despite the information Dumbledore had related to him concerning Daphne’s allegiances, he still doubted her innocence in the matter. After all, she had taken the Dark Mark, something Harry would rather die before ever doing. After Dumbledore’s death, Harry’s belief that a Death Eater would not turn traitor to the Dark Lord's cause only solidified.

Ginny and Luna shot him a dark glare, and Ginny had been about to ask him why he found the relationship something to scoff at, when Hermione interrupted the brewing argument. She had a box tucked under her arm. The brunette looked pale as white lace.

“Sophia already explained everything.”

Hermione pushed them toward their now empty compartment and began pulling stacks of papers out of her box. “I have already set out a plan of action. First we will gather clues around the body after Catherine checks the body. Next we will compile a list of suspects and then question them. After that we will see where the case heads. This should take up to an hour, give or take a little.”

“That leaves us with three hours after the initial questioning,” Ginny commented, twisting her worn watch over her wrist. “Do you think it would conserve time if we split up the interrogations?”

Hermione smiled and nodded. “Good idea, Gin. It would probably be good if we also divided the searching of the body into sections, too. On my way here I managed to stop by Colin Creevy’s compartment to nab his camera. Luna, do you think you could take pictures of the crime scene?”

Luna nodded, and took the offered camera.

“Gin, I want you and Harry to map out the surrounding areas on the train. This especially includes the storage closet in car three. That is where the three teachers and the Trolley Lady were discovered asleep. They are the only adults, apart from the engineer, that are on the train. We need to figure out how they are connected to this crime.”

“Understood,” Ginny answered, and started to get up.

“I will start gathering clues while Luna takes pictures. Please do not leave each other alone. There is a good chance the murderer might strike again, especially as we get closer to solving the case.”

“What if we do not solve the case?” Ginny asked, tugging on a strand of hair. She stared straight at Hermione, feeling like there was something she was not being told.

“We do not have that choice, Gin, but please do not ask me to explain why. It is up to Harry to tell you.”

Ginny turned on her heels to glare at Harry, waiting for an answer. He stared at the wall behind her, wishing for the world she was not so intently focused on him or the answer he could not give her. He knew that the moment he told her about the horcruxes she would want to follow them on their hunt, and he had no logical reason to keep her from following. Already he wished he had not told Hermione and Ron, who were now adamant on following him. So, instead of answering her honestly, he answered in the only way he knew how. He answered with spite, and anger.

“I have already told you I can not involve you in my life, now. These are things that are out of my control. The girl’s murder is only a small piece of the bigger picture, and I need to solve it to find the next piece. That is all I can tell you, and that is more than I should.”

Ginny just stared repulsively at the boy she had dated up to a few days ago. She walked from the room in a flurry of contempt, unable to hold back the surge of hatred that rose in her chest. Harry just watched her go, surprised by her reaction.

“Go after her.” Hermione admonished, glancing up from her work. “And fix whatever you just broke.”

Harry glanced at the brunette, but she turned her head away. Luna snubbed him. Apparently he was doing an excellent job of ticking everyone off today. He sighed and left the compartment, feeling a strong pressure mount in his chest.

------

Hermione and Luna immediately started their work in the neighboring compartment, scouring the crime scene for any information they could gather. At first sight, the two girls had been utterly sickened by the scene. Daphne had not died a bloody death, but it had been a violent one.

While alive Daphne had been a tall, willowy blonde with pale green eyes and milky skin. She had always been striking, and even in death she managed to retain her regal aura. Yet, illness had made her skin thin and blotchy. There were dark circles around her gapping eyes. Her whole body was strung across the floor, limp from struggle. Around her neck were bright blue and purple bruises. There was a small trickle of blood running from the corner of her mouth. It was defiantly a gruesome sight. Luna had to fight back the urge to spill her stomach.

They moved away from the body, and started on the black bag in the baggage racks overhead. A few minutes later Catherine appeared and began to inspect the body. She left about thirty minutes later, after explaining her findings to Hermione and Luna.

“The cause of death was strangulation. The physical signs of strangulation include petechial hemorrhages (tiny purple or red specks caused by bleeding under the skin) and bruises on the neck. Further investigation suggested the possibility of a fractured hyoid bone, and bleeding in the throat. No ligature marks were found on her neck, however. The bruises correspond to the possibility that she was strangled using a chain, perhaps a necklace. I say this, because I noticed a few flakes of gold chain links scattered around the body.”

Luna interrupted, her face suddenly lighting up at the mention of a necklace. “Daphne always wore a long gold chain strung through an old key.”

Hermione scribbled that down on her sheet of parchment.

“I also found a trace amount of toxin in her blood. I matched it against a few common toxins, including plants, and it registered as a form of glycoside. This is commonly found in foxgloves; some lilies; and, ironically, a daphne tree. The dose in her system was not lethal, but it suggests that the victim was poisoned over a long period of time. If she had not died today and gone untreated should would have been dead within the week.”

This information especially excited Hermione because in the black bag they had found a strange vial of white powder, and a few white flowers. Had the killer left the bag behind to make a statement? After all, Daphne’s arm had been exposed to reveal the Dark Mark, leading Hermione to believe that her killer had wanted others to know about her allegiances. Or had it been her allegiances that killed her? Many scenarios were scrambling through Hermione’s brain, none more real that the image of Death Eaters swarming over the dead girl’s body.

“Do you know how we could find out if the flowers we found could have been used to poison the victim?”

Catherine shrugged. “I would think someone interested in herbology could easily make that correlation. All you would need to do is identify the plant and the type of toxin it produces. Then compare it to the toxin in the body.”

“Thank you for your help,” Hermione smiled and shook this girl’s hand. Catherine’s medical expertise had been invaluable. She made a note to thank the Head Boy and Girl for their suggestion.

Once Catherine left, Luna turned to Hermione. There was a pensive look on her face, and Hermione had a feeling Luna knew something she did not.

“I think we should visit Neville. He would know what kind of plant this is, and if it is toxic.”

Hermione nodded. “We will do that after we check over the items Catherine found in the victim’s cloak.”

Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear