Search:

SIYE Time:5:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Need for Speed
By gryffindorchaser17

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 5
Summary: Harry and his friends have become in the dangerous world of racing cars. What happens when a race with Malfoy goes terribly wrong?
Hitcount: Story Total: 3574





Author's Notes:
The idea for this story came to me during a dream. I figured I'd run with the idea just to have a bit of fun.




ChapterPrinter


Harry Potter and the Need for Speed

Harry smiled as he felt his car accelerate under the soft touch of his foot. It reminded him of the feeling he got from flying the Firebolt that Sirius had gotten him a few years earlier. He swerved around another car and watched in his rearview mirror as the orange and pink cars following him followed suit. Ahead of him, Harry saw a gap closing up and surged forward yet again, just threading the needle between the two cars.

“I’m already dating you Harry. You don’t have to impress me,” Ginny said jokingly from her car behind him.

Harry smiled, knowing that he would be in for a show some other time when Ginny tried to one up his move. He came out of his reverie just in time to lead the cars off the highway. Tonight they were headed to an abandoned storage yard.

Of all the muggle inventions that wizards decided to use, Harry was happiest that they had integrated cars into their way of life. Though they were often used more for pleasure than actual transportation, Harry was still happy. He and his friends had gotten involved in racing cars at the beginning of the summer after Fred and George had shown them the new cars they were working on. Though, it had taken quite a bit of lobbying by the children to get concessions from their parents.

The arguments that had taken place in both the Potter and Weasley houses over the children taking up the hobby were almost legendary. The tongue lashings came mainly from the two matrons. (Secretly, Mr. Weasley was quite interested in cars since they were heavily grounded in the muggle world and Mr. Potter was quite impressed by their speed and wished that car racing had been popular when he was in school.) In the end, they had relented and even bought the children the cars, at the expense of two years worth of birthday and Christmas presents. They had all subsequently taken up summer jobs in order to bring their cars up to racing specs. Though the cars had many muggle aspects, like the engine, they were heavily enchanted.

Hermione had been the next obstacle. When she had arrived a month into the summer to stay with the Weasleys she had nearly had a stroke when she found out what Ron, Harry and Ginny were up to. In the end, she had agreed to help them. She had said it was simply to make sure they would all be safe. (The truth was that Hermione had thrown herself into the project when she had seen the complexity of the spells and decided that this would off her a way to practice her arithmancy and runes.) Though she had agreed to help, she refused to drive, as she was deathly afraid of the speed of the cars. She generally rode along with Ron to wherever they were racing, the two of them now inseparable after they had started dating late in their sixth year.

As they pulled up to the storage yard, Ginny and Ron dropped into flanking positions, behind Harry. They past all the other cars which were lined up against an old warehouse, then swerved around and then took to seeking out their friends. They soon found Neville, Dean and Seamus and pulled up next to them.

“How’s it going, guys?” Harry asked, as he got out of his car.

“Just fine Harry.” Neville responded.

At that moment, a pack of identical green cars sped past them on their way down the line. Malfoy and his team had arrived. Harry sneered, as they passed.

“Well, we know we’ve got one race tonight. Everyone, be careful, they’ve been playing pretty ruthless lately.”Harry knew he didn’t have to remind them of the last week when they had run Justin Finch-Fletchley off the road. He had been able to get out of the car just in time, but it had been close.

“Potter!” Came the cold voice of Draco Malfoy as he sauntered up to the group.

Harry didn’t even have to turn around, he already knew it was Draco. “What is it Draco? Ready for me to embarrass you again?”

Malfoy responded with a death stare. He still hadn’t been able to live down the defeat that he had suffered to Harry. Harry had beat him by almost 50 meters in the quarter.

“I’ve got a proposition for you. Blaise, Goyle and I versus you and two people of your choosing. The top two cars count.” With that, Malfoy produced a rather large wad of cash. “How about it Potter.”

Harry questioned how wise this move was. Malfoy was likely up to something, he wouldn’t make a deal where he thought he’d lose. But his mind was in conflict. The other part of his mind told him how Malfoy would never let him live it down if he backed out on the race. In the end, the Gryffindor in him overrode all the warnings.

“Fine, I accept. Ginny, Ron, you two game?”

Ginny walked up behind him, placing her hand on his shoulder signaling she was with him.

“You bet mate,” Ron said. “I’d love to help you take Malfoy’s money.”

“Alright Potter,” Malfoy said, with a satisfied look on his face. “One lap around the premises.”

“Ok.” Harry then turned and flagged down Ernie MacMillan. “Ernie, could you hold the money for the race?”

“Sure, Harry.” Ernie responded. He quickly took Harry and Draco’s money. Ernie gave Draco a withering stare, as he snatched the money from his had.

“One last condition Draco, no wand magic,” Harry said. “If anyone on a team uses it, they’re disqualified.”

“Fine, Potter, but I won’t need magic to beat you and your pathetic friends.”

With that, Draco walked off toward the rest of his team. Harry still felt a little disquieted by the offer, but he knew this was easy money. Draco may be a fair driver, but any of Harry’s friends could drive circles around Blaise and Goyle.

As Harry turned to get in his car, Hermione walked up to him with a furious look on her face. “Why did you do it Harry?” She screamed at him. “You know its probably a trap. You remember what they did to Justin, don’t you?”

“Yes Hermione, I do,” Harry replied in a very cool voice. “That’s why he’s got to pay. Watch our backs, will you?”

Hermione didn’t seem too satisfied with the answer, but didn’t put up any further argument. “Let me check over your cars before the race. Ron’s car felt fine on the way over, so I think the modifications I made are fine, but I’d rather be sure.”

After Hermione was quite sure the cars were in perfect order, Harry led Ron and Ginny over to the start/finish line. He pulled his red car up to the line and revved the engine. He then turned on his speakers, playing the Weird Sisters’ latest album, and checked his head set. “Ron, Ginny, Hermione, you all there?” He got three affirmative responses.

A few moments later Harry watched as Draco and his two goons pulled up next to them. Draco lowered his window and yelled at Harry. “Hope you all make it,” Draco said, with a menacing look.

Harry secretly regretted agreeing to the race now, but knew it was too late. He decided not to even humor Malfoy with a response. Instead he looked forward, where Ernie had walked up to begin the race. Ernie held up his wand and all the racers began revving their engine. Moments later, red sparks issued from the wand, starting the race.

Harry slammed down on the gas pedal for all it was worth. His car surged forward, giving him a rather satisfying feeling. He felt a small bump as Malfoy gently swerved his car into Harry’s car. Harry responded with a bump of his own before hitting the gas a little harder and surging ahead of Malfoy ever so slightly.

“Quit flirting with Malfoy,” Ginny said, jokingly, over the head set.

“Sorry, Gin, I swear he started it. I know his thing is boys, but I only have eyes for you.”

Harry and Draco kept jostling for position. Unfortunately for Draco, Harry’s car and skills exceeded his. After a few more failed attempts, Draco seemed to resign himself to second place. Harry smiled to himself, this was going to piss Draco off to no end.

They came up to the first turn and Harry felt his car slide under him as he took the turn. Part way through, he pressed on the gas, opening up more of a lead on Malfoy. He also smiled as he watched Ginny move in right beside his long time enemy. Ron was tailing them closely and was holding a slight lead on Blaise and Goyle.

“Ron, work on keeping Blaise and Goyle behind you!” Harry yelled, through his head set.

“Sure thing mate. You and Ginny tear it up,” he responded. Harry smiled as he watched through his rearview mirror. Ron slowed up a bit and began driving in an erratic pattern to keep them from being able to pass him.

Ginny was now in a bumping war with Draco as the two jostled for position. Harry knew it was only a matter of time before Ginny got the upper hand on Draco. Harry got a bit nervous when he noticed that the bumps they were giving each other had escalated and were now strong enough to cause one of them to spin out.

“Be careful Ginny, he’s a nasty git. He wouldn’t think twice about causing you to spin out,” Harry said, in a slightly warning tone.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got him right where I want him,” she replied. As she was saying that, she dropped back.

Harry noted they were coming up on the second turn and wondered what Ginny had in store for Draco. He let out a triumphant laugh as Ginny swerved up on Draco’s left side. She cut hard and was able to hold the inside, then applied the gas and surged ahead of Draco.

Harry was ecstatic. He knew Ron was more than capable to holding off Blaise and Goyle and he and Ginny were more than a match for Malfoy. It was only now that the nagging feeling Harry had at the back of his mind at the beginning of the race returned. He decided to keep an eye out, but comforted himself by saying it was an empty threat from Malfoy.

Ginny now worked on holding Draco off. Each time he moved to pass her, she would surge forward and cut in front of him. Harry slowed up a bit and let Ginny catch up to him. The two of them, working together, would make it much easier to hold Malfoy off. Harry looked back and noticed that Ron was still in front of Blaise and Goyle and was nearly three seconds behind them. Even if Draco managed to pass them, they still had the race in the bag.

The three lead cars took the next turn pretty hard, but Harry and Ginny easily maintained their lead. They both put on a slight surge to open up some distance on Malfoy so that he couldn’t do anything to them by ramming their cars.

About half way down the straightaway to the last turn, Harry looked at his rearview mirror, what he saw horrified him. Draco had dropped back considerably and had his wand in his hand.

“Ginny!” Harry yelled, but had not time to say anything else. A surge of red light issued from Draco’s wand. Harry felt a thud as Ginny’s car hit the side of his. He tried quickly to pull away, but it was futile. Another blast of light hit the two cars and sent them spinning out of control. The situation was now desperate. “Cut your wheel,” Harry yelled, as they both applied the breaks. Even with the magical modifications, the breaks weren’t going to stop them before they hit the fence.

It was no longer about winning the race. Harry was worried about himself, but most of all he was worried about Ginny. He had to do something. His options were running out as the seconds passed. He reached for his wand, but the force he was under, kept him pinned to his seat.

“Hermione, can you do anything?” Harry said, pleadingly over the head set.

“I can’t get a clear line of sight. Ron’s sped up, he should be on you two in a few seconds,” she replied.

“No, wave him off. It’s too dangerous for him to try something,” Harry ordered.

Harry gritted his teeth. Using every ounce of energy he had in his body, he fought to grab his wand. Luckily, they had slowed slightly, reducing the force just enough. They were moments from the wall when he cast his spell. “Subsisto tractus statim!”

Harry felt a jolt as the cars came to an immediate halt, centimeters from the wall. Harry leaded over for a moment to let things sink in for a moment. “Are you ok, Ginny?” He asked a few moments later.

“Yeah, I’m just fine. That was some brilliant thinking. That’s the second time you’ve saved my life.”

“Well, you don’t owe me anything. Let’s get out of here.”

The two cars pulled away and headed back toward the center of the complex.

Harry jumped out of his car the moment it stopped. He had a singular purpose, he was going to teach Draco a lesson. It was one thing to target him, but he couldn’t abide by Draco attacking his friends, most especially his girlfriend. He was rather pleased when no one tried to stop him, in fact they simply followed him, grabbing their own wands.

The Slytherins were all having a good laugh as the group approached. By the time they spotted Harry and company, it was too late. Curses and hexes erupted from both sides. Harry put up his shield, deciding to ignore everyone but Draco.

“Malfoy!” Harry yelled, there was an almost animalistic quality to his voice. Draco seemed to take note of this and began running.

Harry hit him with the Jelly Legs Jinx, causing him to fall over. “Expeliarmus!” Harry yelled, knocking Draco’s wand out of his hand. Harry then proceeded from there. “Levicorpus,” Harry said, and watched with some satisfaction as Draco was lifted from the ground. Harry spun him around so that he was facing him.

“Its one thing to attack me,” Harry began. “But it’s something else to attack my friends to get to me. If you have a problem with me, take out on me.” With that, Harry flicked his hand and watched as Malfoy unceremoniously returned to his ground.

Draco quickly began scampering toward his wand. “Accio Malfoy’s wand,” Harry said, ending the other boys movement. Just then Ginny came up beside him. Malfoy now returned to his feet.

“Is there anything you’d like to do or say Ginny?” Harry asked, keeping his eyes firmly on Malfoy.

Ginny didn’t say a word, she simply walked up next to him, balled up her fist, and gave him a hard kidney shot. Harry actually flinched a bit as he watched the blow. Malfoy doubled over, writhing in pain. Harry then put Malfoy under a full body bind and after giving Malfoy a quick punch to the head, walked off with Ginny, hand in hand.

After all the excitement, they decided to unwind by grabbing a meal at Gorbon’s, a wizarding fast food joint. They all sat regaling each other with what they had done to particular Slytherins.

“It’s too bad you couldn’t use magic, Ginny,” Harry commented. “You could have given Malfoy the Bat Bogey Hex after I put him in the body bind.”

Harry knew that would have been a rather severe form of punishment. Ginny had only hit him with it once since they had started dating in his fifth year. They had been arguing for about a week and she had used it at the end of a major row they had. After only moments she had relented and had made up for it by giving Harry a nice dance in the Room of Requirement.

“Well guys,” Harry said, after a while, “I think its time to head home before our moms think something bad has happened.”


Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear