Harry Potter And The Broken Wizard by Seeker_Quill07



Summary: Harry's past is slowly breaking him, with the resurrection of Voldemort the future looks even more dark. Will Harry succumb or will help come from friends he never expected to have? Sirius dead in third year. Neville is the BWL. Voldemort didn't keep all his hopes on just Horcruxes. How will our heroes solve this new mystery? h/g r/hr
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2022.01.24
Updated: 2022.02.07


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: This fic will be a bit slow since, Harry's past is explored bit by bit.
And all the characters in the story belong to JKR.


Author's note: I am not making any money from this story and the characters solely belong to JKR.

A great thanks to FGHermione, for her wonderful beta work, and advice.
_____________________________________

It was yet another hot summer day at Number 12, Grimmauld Place, London. A large dark and gloomy mansion, it was the polar opposite to the bright, sunny day surrounding the rest of the district; and if you could see it, you would declare that the location belonged in a fantasy world in which dark wizards would inhabit it.

However, you could not see this abode, as it just so happened that some of the occupants, all of which were magical, had hidden the residence from the peering eyes of all those who had not been informed of the secret location.

That day of Ginny Weasley's life couldn't have been more miserable. She was helping with the cleaning of this- whatever you’d want to call it; as she refused to call this manor with house-elf heads mounted to the walls and cursed objects and other sinister things, a house, and on top of that, she had to endure the incessant bickering of her prat of a brother (who also happened to be her twin) and her best friend.

Ron Weasley, who was long and gangly with freckles splattered across his face, and Hermione Granger, whose bushy hair was tied in a ponytail, were bickering again over SPEW, an organization that Hermione had started in their fourth year.

Impatiently tucking an errant red hair out of her eyes, she shouted at them. “Shut the bloody hell up!”

They both shut up instantly, turning their faces the other way as they started ignoring each other. Something which Ginny knew wouldn't last long.

"Dinner is ready, come down you lot,” her mother bellowed from downstairs.

It looked like the Order meeting had finally gotten over downstairs. They had been trying to listen in on them numerous times, but their mother had caught them at it. And they had had to endure her scolding for half an hour, which had felt like half a lifetime.

The group went downstairs to the kitchen basement after washing themselves. It was slightly less gloomy than the hall above; a cavernous room with rough stone walls. Most of the light was coming from a large fire at the far end of the room. A haze of pipe smoke hung in the air like battle fumes, through which loomed the menacing shapes of heavy iron pots and pans hanging from the dark ceiling.

Many chairs had been crammed into the room for the meeting, and a long wooden table stood in the middle of the room, littered with rolls of parchment, goblets, empty wine bottles, and a heap of what appeared to be rags.

Ginny’s dad, Arthur Weasley, and her eldest brother, Bill, were talking quietly with their heads together at the end of the table. Tonks, in her favorite bubblegum pink hair was chatting with Professor Lupin, who looked older than his age; his mousy brown hair graying and prominent lines across his face, Mad-Eye Moody looking creepy as always with his gnarled face and finally Molly Weasley, her mother, who had lost some of her weight, worrying over her children since the return of You-Know-Who and the leaving of her… not anymore brother, Percy.

As she was about to sit in a chair around the large dining table, she caught the tail end of Lupin's conversation.

"I'm worried about him..." Remus was saying to Tonks. He was interrupted by two loud cracks indicating the arrival of her other set of twin brothers, Fred and George; looking identical from head to toe, unlike her and Ron.

They had been Apparating around the house ever since they had passed their Apparition test, and had taken to irritating everyone they could; which they always did, trying to create a laugh wherever they could, even in this gloomy atmosphere.

She understood what, or rather whom Lupin was talking about- the enigma that was Harry Potter. Harry Potter was a classmate and fellow Gryffindor of Ginny’s. He was quite a loner. She remembered talking to him in her first year, when they had even come close enough to becoming good friends (If only she wasn't stupid enough to trust a diary that wrote back). She thought at the time that it was because of what had happened, or rather what she had done in her first year, but it didn't make sense, since he had given her his support in the aftermath by challenging her to a round of Exploding Snap when everyone was acting as though they didn't know how to act around her. She was grateful to him for that to this day; for treating her normally even when everyone was wondering, whispering and pointing.

She didn't want to impose on him when he started to withdraw into himself in their second year. Besides, she also had other things on her mind that year, so she let him be as he wished.

But now, outside of school, with not much to keep her occupied, she observed him. He was different here. He would sometimes not come to the place they are living at present(she refused to call it a house) for days, and when he did stay, he spent it mostly with Lupin or with the rest of them cleaning the ghastly building. He didn't talk much with them, but sometimes, he sort of exploded with such a terrible rage, something which she admitted to herself was a bit frightening. He never shouted at Ginny, Ron, or Hermione, though. It was mostly Remus or Tonks (whom he appeared to talk to sometimes.) his ire was directed at.

She could still remember him threatening the portrait of Walburga Black (the hag of the house, shouting obscenities at everyone whenever she could.) of what he would do if she even dared to open her mouth again.

"FILTHY SCUM, TREACHEROUS BLOOD TRAITORS, HALF BREEDS AND MUDBLOODS BEGONE FROM MY HOUSE! THAT TRAITOROUS PIECE OF SCUM COULDN'T LEAVE US IN PEACE EVEN AFTER HIS DEATH..."

And the troll leg stand, the one Tonks always tripped over, had been thrown at her portrait with such a force which would have broken it, if it wasn't for the magical nature of the portrait.

"You better keep that stink hole you call a mouth shut and never talk about Sirius again if you want your Noble and Ancient House of Black in all its glory," Harry had said with a calm voice that didn't hide his fury much. "I swear I wouldn't mind watching it burnt down."

Everyone could tell he meant it and the portrait had kept its mouth shut till today. Lupin had dragged Harry out of the room, not before he called the bitch… well, bitch.

He had disappeared again for a few days, and had become his usual self again, though he was a bit cheery now (must have been threatening the portrait into silence.).


"It must be hard for him to be here, where Sirius must have hated all his childhood." Hermione had said one day while we were discussing him.

"Not to mention he must have had a rough life, a bit more than rough if you ask me. And Sirius must have given him something he always wanted or something," Ron had said with an unusual insight. She was sure he could see the surprise on their faces.

"Yeah he was skin and bones, wasn't he? When he first arrived at Hogwarts, he always stayed at the castle during the holidays." Ginny had added.


There was something about him, that dark aura; not malevolent, but dark nonetheless; the way he talked, as though he had seen things that no one should have had to see, as though he was holding his whole world with a thin string which would break at a slight disturbance. She believed that Lupin and Hagrid (with whom Harry was very close, just like with Remus) were the only ones holding him together, and preventing him from falling apart.

And he had lost his Godfather two years ago. We didn't talk much about that topic; the summer holidays started the day after his death. We had tried to offer our condolences when it had happened. It was painful to know that an innocent man, someone who had been betrayed and had suffered as no one should, had died. The story of what really happened on that Halloween had finally been revealed. They had been there when Pettigrew was forced out of his Animagus form, which was none other than Ron's former rat, Scabbers.

Ginny could only imagine what Harry had gone through, with everyone one feeling relieved that Sirius Black died not knowing the truth. But by the start of the new year, it went back to the past, not forgotten, but not constantly at the forefront of the mind either.

Harry had isolated himself even more.


Dinner started, and Ginny was jolted out of her reverie. Mum had made stew, which was delicious as always; and everyone was chatting quietly, enjoying their meal.

Tonks was entertaining Ginny and Hermione by transforming her nose between mouthfuls. Screwing up her eyes, each time with the same pained expression as always, her nose swelled to a beak like protuberance like Snape's (her greasy git of a professor), shrank into something resembling a button mushroom, and then sprouted a great deal of hair from each nostril.

This was a regular mealtime entertainment for them, and after a while, Hermione and Ginny started requesting their favorite noses.

"Do that one like a pig snout, Tonks . . ."


After everyone had finished dinner, Lupin announced, "Dumbledore thinks you lot should know a bit of what is going on, so you don't believe some half stories you heard and do something you shouldn't.”

The teens were astonished to hear that the adults were willing to provide the information that they had been trying to hide from them for so many days. They instinctively looked at Mrs Weasley, who didn't look happy. "Only what you need to know and nothing more," she said in a resigned voice.

"Yes, nothing more,” agreed her dad, mostly to mollify her misgivings.

Just then, the front door opened and Harry arrived, his hair looking as messy as always, and his eyes the emerald colour which most girls would swoon at. (Not her, though. She just found them attractive.)

"Harry," greeted Lupin.

"Oh! Hello Remus, don't let me disturb you. Carry on, I will just make myself some hot chocolate and go to bed," he replied, and he did look tired with dark circles under his eyes.

Ginny wondered whether Remus would include Harry in the conversation or wait until he went to his room. He chose the first option.

"Okay... what do you want to know?" asked Lupin finally.

"Where's you-know-who? What's he doing? I've been watching the Muggle news,” Hermione asked, never one to stop herself from gaining knowledge, "and there hasn't been any suspicious activity. Everything is quiet as it is".

"That's because there haven't been any suspicious deaths yet," said Moody, "not as far as we know, anyway.... And we know quite a lot."

"More than he thinks we do, anyway, said Lupin.

"How come he's stopped killing people?" Ron asked. They knew that he had murdered more than once in the last year alone.

"Because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself at the moment," said Dad. "It would be dangerous for him. His comeback didn't come off quite the way he wanted it to, you see. He messed it up."

"Or rather, Neville messed it up for him," said Lupin with a satisfied smile.

"How?" Ginny asked perplexedly.

"Neville wasn't supposed to survive!" said Bill. "Nobody apart from his Death Eaters was supposed to know he'd come back. But he survived to bear witness."

"And the very last person he wanted alerted to his return the moment he got back was Dumbledore," said Lupin. "And Neville made sure Dumbledore knew at once."

"Shouldn't Neville deserve to know all this information, though," interrupted Ron.

"Dumbledore wanted him to have some peace. Rest assured that he will be informed of this by his grandmother and uncle."

"So how has that helped?" Fred asked, bringing the discussion to the main track.

"Are you kidding?" said Bill incredulously. "Dumbledore was the only one You-Know-Who was ever scared of!"

"Thanks to Neville, Dumbledore was able to recall the Order of the Phoenix about an hour after Voldemort returned," said Bill.

"So what's the Order been doing?" said Fred, looking around at them all.

"Working as hard as we can to make sure Voldemort can't carry out his plans," said Moody in his gruff voice.

"How d'you know what his plans are?" George asked quickly.

"Dumbledore's got a shrewd idea," said Lupin, "and Dumbledore's shrewd ideas normally turn out to be accurate."

"So what does Dumbledore reckon he's planning?"

"Well, firstly, he wants to build up his army again," said Lupin. "In the old days he had huge numbers at his command; witches and wizards he'd bullied or bewitched into following him, his faithful Death Eaters, a great variety of Dark creatures. You all know him planning to
recruit the giants; well, they'll be just one group he's after. He's certainly not going to try and take on the Ministry of Magic with only a dozen Death Eaters."

"So you're trying to stop him from getting more followers?"

"We're doing our best," said Lupin.

"How?"

"Well, the main thing is to try and convince as many people as possible that You-Know-Who really has returned and to put them on their guard," said Bill. "It's proving tricky, though."

"Deep down, Fudge knows Dumbledore's much cleverer than he is and is a much more powerful wizard. In the early days of his Ministry, he was forever asking Dumbledore for help and advice," said Lupin. "But it seems that he's become fond of power now, and much more confident. He loves being Minister of Magic, and he's managed to convince himself that he's the clever one, and Dumbledore's simply stirring up trouble for the sake of it."

"How can he think that?" said Ron angrily. "How can he think Dumbledore would just make it all up ” that Neville would make it all up?"

"Because accepting that Voldemort's back would mean trouble like the Ministry hasn't had to cope with for nearly fourteen years," said Moody bitterly. "Fudge just can't bring himself to face it. It's so much more comfortable to convince himself Dumbledore's lying to destabilize him."

Ginny could observe Harry watching everyone with an amused smile playing on his lips, but he was not looking Moody, whom he always tried to avoid, which she along with Ron and Hermione found odd.

"You see, the problem is," continued Lupin. "While the Ministry insists there is nothing to fear from Voldemort, it's hard to convince people he's back, especially as they really don't want to believe it in the first place."

"What's more, the Ministry's leaning heavily on the Daily Prophet not to report any of what they're calling Dumbledore's rumor mongering, so most of the Wizarding community are completely unaware anything's happened, and that makes them easy targets for the Death Eaters if they're using the Imperius Curse."

"But you're telling people, aren't you?" Ginny asked, looking around at Dad, Moody, Bill, Mundungus, Lupin and Tonks. "You're letting people know he's back?"

They all smiled humorlessly.

"Well, as everyone thinks I'm a mad old paranoid bat who has lost his marbles, I don't think many would believe me".

"And I'm not a very popular dinner guest with most of the community," said Lupin. "It's an occupational hazard of being a werewolf."

"Tonks and Arthur would lose their jobs at the Ministry if they started shooting their mouths off," said Lupin, "and it's very important for us to have spies inside the Ministry, because you can bet Voldemort will have them."

"We've managed to convince a couple of people, though," said dad.

"Tonks here, for one ” she was too young to have been in the Order of the Phoenix the last time, and having Aurors on our side is a huge advantage ” Kingsley Shacklebolt's been a real asset too."

"But if none of you's putting the news out that You-Know-Who's back ”" Hermione began.

"Who said none of us was putting the news out in?" said Moody. "Why d'you think Dumbledore's in such trouble?"

"They're trying to discredit him," said Lupin. "Didn't you see the Daily Prophet last week? They reported that he'd been voted out of the Chairmanship of the International Confederation of Wizards because he's getting old and losing his grip; but it's not true, he was voted out by Ministry wizards after he made a speech announcing Voldemort's return. They've demoted him from Chief Warlock on the Wizengamot ” that's the Wizard High Court ” and they're talking about taking away his Order of Merlin, First Class, too."

"But Dumbledore says he doesn't care what they do as long as they don't take him off the Chocolate Frog cards," said Bill, grinning.

"It's no laughing matter," said Mr. Weasley shortly. "If he carries on defying the Ministry like this, he could end up in Azkaban; and the last thing we want is Dumbledore getting locked up. While You-Know-Who knows Dumbledore's out there and wise to what he's up to, he's going to go cautiously for a while. If Dumbledore's out of the way ” well, You-Know-Who will have a clear field."

"But if You-Know-Who's trying to recruit more Death Eaters, it's bound to get out that he's come back, isn't it?" Ginny asked desperately.

"Voldemort doesn't march up to people's houses and bang on their front doors, Ginny," said Lupin. "He tricks, jinxes, and blackmails them. He's well-practiced at operating in secrecy. In any case, gathering followers is only one thing he's interested in, he's got other plans too, plans he can put into operation very quietly indeed, and he's concentrating on them at the moment."

"What's he after apart from followers?" Ron asked swiftly.

She thought she saw Moody and Lupin exchange the most fleeting of looks before Moody said, "Stuff he can only get by stealth."

When they all continued to look puzzled, Lupin said, "Like a weapon. Something he didn't have last time."

"When he was powerful before?"

"Yes."

"Like what kind of weapon?" said Hermione. "Something worse than the Avada Kedavra ” ?"

"That's enough."

Mum's voice came from the shadows beside the door. Ginny had
forgotten she was there. Her arms were crossed and she looked furious.

"I want you in bed, now. All of you," she added, looking around at Fred, George, Ron, and Hermione and Ginny.

"You can't boss us ”" Fred began.

"Watch me," snarled mum. She was trembling slightly as she looked at Lupin. "You've given them plenty of information. Any more and you might just as well induct them into the Order straightaway."

"Why not?" said Ron quickly. "I'll join, I want to join, I want to fight ”"

"No."

It was not Mum who spoke this time, but Lupin.

"The Order is comprised only of overage wizards," he said. "Wizards who have left school," he added, as Fred and George opened their mouths. "There are dangers involved of which you can have no idea, any of you . . . I think Molly's right. We've said enough."

From the back, there was a snort and I remembered Harry was there. He was drinking his hot cocoa.

"What's funny, boy?" asked Moody, "think this is all some game, do you?"

Harry avoided eye contact with Moody as he replied, "Oh, I was laughing about how you're playing them. Did Dumbledore give you the script or have you all crafted it yourself? If you have, then I should've given you a lot more credit than I gave you".

Moody was watching him calculatingly, not taking any offence, while Tonks watched the scene unfold with amusement.

Ginny couldn't understand what Harry was implying, and took offence that he thought them naive. Fred must've thought the same because he demanded, "What do you mean?".

"Just that they didn't really give you any information that you already don't know" he replied. "Aren't I correct, Moody?"

And at last, he looked Moody in the eye, as though he knew everyone thought he was avoiding Moody's eye, and want to declare that he wasn’t afraid of his eye in the slightest, nor was he ignoring it.

"Gathered enough nerve to look me in the eye now, have you?" retorted Moody.

"Sorry if I didn't want to look in at your beautiful face before, Mad-eye,” he said smoothly. Something flickered in his eyes, but it was gone in a moment and his eyes only gave away amusement.

"What do you mean, they're giving us information we already know?" asked Hermione.

"Harry…" Lupin warned, though half-hearted; he too looked as though he wanted to see what Harry was going on about.

Harry ignored him and grinned at Hermione as though he knew she hated not knowing something.

"Oh, like you knew what you needed, but in your eagerness to find something from their meetings you didn't try to think about what you know" he said. “Can't you really think why Voldemort-“ everyone flinched and gasped, with the exception of Moody and Lupin “-would want to lie low and what would he do lying low, definitely not playing gobstones, I guess."

This brought out a laugh from many, the idea of You-know-who playing gobstones was absurd, and that in itself was an understatement.

"And if you think about it, you can tell why gathering more people to believe us is hard. People like to live in their blissful oblivion, the fools,” he said in a matter-of-fact way.

"So yeah, they didn't really give you any information except about Voldemort““ everyone flinched again ““seeking something he didn't have last time,” Harry said.

It was true; the adults hadn’t really said anything new which they couldn't grasp.

"So why don't you enlighten us with your great deduction skill about what we didn't say," asked Moody hotly, but there was a faint edge of anticipation or eagerness, as though he couldn't wait to see some detective work done by a teenage boy.

"Do we really have to, Alastor“" began Mum, but Harry cut her off, evidently not wanting to back off from a challenge; though he gave her an apologetic look which seemed to mollify her a bit. Ginny could see that her mum too was waiting for what he had to say.

"Voldemort would most probably look for information, and his first priority would be finishing off Neville, which he is finding difficult to do, and making him look like a fool who claims to be the most powerful wizard, but can’t even finish off a toddler or a teenager.”

Ginny felt a bit nauseated about how he talked about his classmate’s death in such a matter-of-fact way.

"So first, he went to Neville's house, but why would he want to kill him in the first place? Something must be there about Neville that he feared, something so important that he himself went to finish off the business. Dear old Riddle-” this struck Ginny odd, since he spoke as though he had met Tom Riddle before and many don't know his real name. ““fears death above everything. He must have gotten the information that Neville could defeat him, but why would he believe a toddler could kill him when so many skilled witches and wizards couldn't?"

"The information must have been solid, or it’s a major possibility that the one who gave the information could be wrong,” Ron said. He had always wanted to become an Auror.

Harry smiled, as though enjoying how everyone was joining the dots.

George said, "Maybe like a prophecy." One look at dad's face was enough to know that was the answer.

"Prophecy..." Hermione said skeptically. Her disbelief in divination was showing clearly.

"Muggles don't believe in magic either, and just because we don't like something or don't want it to be true doesn't mean it isn’t,” Harry said.

"But professor McGonagall doesn't“ “

"Dumbledore believes them and everyone has their own flaws and that doesn't make them any less genius, it makes them human!”

She could remember it perfectly, the quotation similar to that one. Someone had given her a note in the hospital wing after her disastrous first year. A letter which contained something similar to that. Something that had helped her enormously over the years, though she still didn’t know who had given it to her.

Hermione had no retort to that answer.

"So, they must be guarding this prophecy, but why guard it if he already knows it's content?"

"Maybe he doesn't know the whole prophecy, so he wants to learn the full prophecy, to know whether he missed something."

Harry beamed at Ginny like a proud teacher, and she couldn't help but smile back at him.

"But how does he only know half of it and not full?" asked Ron.

At this point, Harry seemed to be deep in thought, as though chasing a thought that was eluding him.

But Mum had had enough. She must not have anticipated them coming this far on their own, or Ginny was sure her mum would never have let them have even the tiny information the Order had given them.

Her mum was shouting for everyone to get to bed; and they could see it was best to obey.

Her mum's shouting served to have snapped everybody, and it was clear that the order hadn't expected them to learn this much either.

Moody, who was staring at Harry with shrewdness and appraisal,barked, "Don't tell anyone this information, you can never know who is on which side. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"

Lupin was smiling slightly in half-exasperation and half-nostalgia, most likely reliving his fond memories, and Tonks was watching him with a wistful look.

””””””””””””””””””

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thanks to Harbinger AU, who pointed out my mistakes and edited the first para of the story.
And thanks again to FGHermione for your amazing work.


Author's note: I am not making any money from this story and the characters solely belong to JKR.

A great thanks to FGHermione, for her wonderful beta work, and advice.
____________________________________


Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Author's Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTE: This may be a slow build but this is my first story so I encourage any criticism. And I don't own any characters. All The characters belong to JKR. Thanks to Gin110881 for her valuable support. Thanks to FGHermione for her wonderful beta work and advise


CHAPTER 2


The next morning saw Hermione waking up to the sounds of London. On the other bed, she could see Ginny snoring lightly. Those Weasleys can sleep like a log, she thought amusedly. She could hear Mrs Weasley bustling downstairs, probably preparing breakfast.

Her thoughts drifted to the previous night. She shouldn't have been surprised that the Order had tried to give them very little information, something they could have deduced themselves if they tried, as Harry had said.

Harry. She still couldn't quite understand him.

She had found him numerous times in the library at Hogwarts; reading some or the other book and jotting down notes. But his marks had never- as far as she know- been particularly great. Now that she tried to remember, he had never seemed to struggle in classes.

He was clever, there was no doubt about it, especially after yesterday's events. As for his class marks, Hermione had to admit not everyone cared about marks; like Ron, who would delay all his work as late as possible.

Her thoughts turned involuntarily to Ron. She couldn't believe how insufferable he was. But she still couldn't help smiling. He did care; she knew that. He just didn’t have the tact with which he should approach things. Well, she couldn't have everything, she mused. In a strictly platonic way, of course, she thought.

Oh, who was she kidding. She couldn't help it, though, with that cute, freckled, oblivious face he had. And his deep blue eyes… she could sink into those-

"Mind out of the gutter Hermione," Ginny said from her bed, grinning knowingly.

Hermione gave a start and blushed. She hadn’t heard Ginny wake.

" I don't know what you mean Ginny," Hermione denied.

"I don't know why, but only my brother can put that silly smile on your face", she said, that smug smile still plastered across her face.

"Oh, shut it".

Hermione knew it was no use hiding this from her and went into the bathroom to get ready for today's battle with the house.

______________________________________

Harry woke up early in the morning, bathed in sweat and breathing raggedly. Sleep didn't favor him as it did with others. At least not since that day...



"Avada Kedavra"

A flash of green light, and Sirius was no more. His eyes staring into eternity. His gaunt face, which always lit up with a certain joy when he saw him now lifeless.

He could still remember that day as clearly as yesterday, of what he had done and how he had killed Sirius with his own hand and wand...

His first kill... his mind supplied traitorously.

No, Harry thought to himself, he didn't want to go down that dark treacherous path.

He focused on yesterday's discussion; he hadn’t really given much thought to it.

Why had Voldemort gone after Neville? And how did the Order know there was a prophecy? Was it Snape; was he even on their side by then? Or had someone else from the Order heard the prophecy?

His mind immediately wandered to the prophecy he had heard from none other than Trelawney in his third year, the one about Voldemort's escaping and coming back, which had come to fruition.

He remembered Dumbledore telling him that this was her second prophecy.

So, Trelawney must have been the one who had foretold the prophecy; and that's why Dumbledore must have hired her: to protect her.

Definitely not because of her inner eye, he mused.

He should ask Remus more about Trelawney, Harry thought. See if he is willing to give some answers.

He stood up and stretched and went to the bathroom to wash not just himself, but his thoughts too, if possible.
__


Mrs Weasley announced at breakfast that she has some work to do in Diagon Alley, and everyone should complete the work they had been assigned by the time she returned. Harry thought that the chores seemed to be a bit more than usual, and everyone had been assigned to different rooms.

Looking at the others, Harry could tell that they thought the same.

Must be so that no one tries any more 'detective' work to find out what is happening in the Order, and especially about the prophecy, Harry reckoned.

He understood her reservations; all the Weasleys were blood traitors and half of her family was fighting against Voldemort. She would definitely want to shield them from the war as long as she could, but Harry wasn't sure how long that would be.

Remus would be the only one remaining here, then, Harry reflected as all the adults left for their respective work. Remus had lost his previous job and had been unsuccessful in finding a new one till now.

Bloody bigoted society, Harry thought scornfully.

After Mrs Weasley had left for her errand, leaving Remus to supervise everyone and help them if magic was needed; Harry realized that this was the perfect time to find some answers and therefore asked Remus to meet him in the other room.

He could tell that the others would also appreciate a bit freedom to discuss whatever they wanted without the presence of Remus.

__


Ron Weasley was bursting with the questions he hadn’t been able to ask the previous day.

"Where do they keep the prophecies?" he asked, directing the question to Hermione.

"Department of Mysteries," was the prompt reply from Hermione.

"So that's where the Order must be guarding it, but…”

"Only the Unspeakables know their way around there,” finished Ginny.

"So, they will have to guard the entrance.."

"... probably in the night..."

"... with an invisibility cloak..."

"...reckon Mad-eye's got two...", said Fred and George in their usual manner, completing each other’s sentences.

They didn't have any more information to work on and fell into a deep silence as their brains tried to work something out or remember anything useful.

Fred and George looked deep in thought, Hermione was frowning slightly in contemplation, and Ginny looked like she was in an entirely different world, and her eyes kept flickering to the door of the room where Harry and Remus were.

They still had to clean the rooms, which if you ask Ron was a waste of time, as the house had a dark, dingy aura that would probably never leave it.

He wasn't very sure that he would remain sane here much longer with all the cleaning and the not knowing, though they knew much more than what they had known a day before.

______________________________________


Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Author's Notes: Thanks to my amazing beta Jui( FGHermione), for her advise and of course editing.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: The characters of the story solely belong to JKR and I'm not making any money out of it.
Thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her amazing beta work and advise.


CHAPTER 3

A small boy was backing into a corner, whimpering as a huge man stood above him. The boy was small and skinny, with jet black hair and bright green eyes. He looked even more emaciated wearing clothes that were awfully big for him. There was a red handprint on his cheek and bruises on his hand.

The big, beefy man above him was hollering like a maniac.

"You useless piece shit, how many times should I repeat to you no to display your unnaturalness, you ungrateful freak!" he roared.

He looked dangerous with his face an alarming shade of red and the brandishing of his hands, as though wanting to hit the small boy again.

Behind him stood a woman with a tall neck and a horse-like face, looking disgusted at the sight of the boy.

Beside the woman stood a very large boy with blond hair who was eagerly watching the scene that was taking place in front of him, looking as though nothing would make him happier except perhaps getting a chance at having a go at the skinny boy himself.

"We fed you, clothed you, provided a roof above you and this is how you repay us? By displaying your freakishness so that the whole world will know, you stinking pile of a -"

"Shut up!" the boy shouted.

"What did you say, boy?", the man said in a deadly whisper, his voice quivering slightly.

"I said, shut up", the boy repeated.

His uncle, aunt, and cousin looked surprised for a moment. He didn't know what had made him shout at his uncle, something which would only lead to more bruises; but all the years of resentment, hatred, and misery had become too much to hold back any longer.

He didn't know how he had ended up on top of the school roof, but he wouldn't have been there in the first place if his oaf of a cousin and his gang hadn’t chased him.

He didn't know why weird things happened around him. Those things weren't in his control, but he wouldn't let his so-called family do whatever they wished to him. Not anymore. He wouldn't bow down like a coward and a pathetic, weak cretin (a word which his uncle liked to use) anymore. He was tired of it: the beating, the humiliation, the insults, and the bullying. At least he could do something about this now.

Consequences be damned. He wouldn't back down today.

"Are you shouting at me, boy? You no-good, worthless -"

"You're the worthless piece of junk, not me. I was barely fed. I live in a bloody cupboard with spiders crawling in it. I wear the rags of your fat lump of a son which would fit four people at the same time. Making me work all the time, treating me like a slave. You're the lot who are ungrateful and a bunch of morons. You're -"

BAM

A beefy hand connected to the boy's jaw, and the force of the blow threw him backward. He could see stars in his eyes. His uncle was advancing on him, raising his ham-like fist for another blow.

"You… You -" it looked as though he couldn’t find a suitable insult. His face was screwed up in anger and he looked the most dangerous the boy had ever seen him. The man swung his fat fist, something which would surely have knocked the boy unconscious if connected.

The boy ducked the coming blow and ran past him, pushing the thin horse-like woman aside, and finally, he was out of the front door, running away from years of neglect and abuse.

He didn't know what he would do, how he would survive. But he didn't care about it at the moment. He somehow felt lighter than he had ever felt, as though he could face anything. The triumph of holding his ground and standing up for himself was flowing through him.

The pain of the blows didn't bother him much. Pain was not new to him. All that mattered was he felt strong for the first time in his life.



Harry woke up abruptly from his restless sleep. It was still early in the morning. there was no noise of bustling nor the smell of bacon, indicating that even Mrs. Weasley was still asleep. He still felt drowsy but knew that sleep would evade him.

Harry didn't want to start his day thinking about his past. But his mind betrayed him like usual, refusing to come back from his past.

He still remembered that day in the dream vividly, it was more of a memory than a dream.



The decision to leave the house that day had made him face many hardships, more than he had ever faced at the Dursleys.



But he had never regretted that decision to this day. It had made him strong, made him see the world from a different perspective. Not to mention that those hardships were because of a decision he had made rather than because his family hated the very thought of him.



A few days after that was when he had first discovered his magic. That there really was something weird about him. (He didn't want to think about it as freakishness or unnaturalness.)



He remembered being hungry; his stomach aching with hunger pangs and wishing desperately for the loaf of bread in the shop. It had miraculously come to him soaring, and as luck would have it, no one saw it happening. He had gaped at the bread in his hand, wondering whether he had turned delusional because of his hunger.



But hunger had finally won over curiosity and he had eaten it slowly, knowing he would make himself sick if he wolfed it down in one go.



He had started contemplating all the weird things that had happened around him. His hair growing overnight, his teacher's wig turning blue, appearing on the roof of his school, and many other things.



Now as he gave the matter a deep thought, he could tell that all these instances had happened when he had been desperate.



What if he could do them consciously, he had mused, already alight with the excitement of learning magic or witchcraft or whatever it was.

It had given him some hope that he may have some advantage in those bleak times.

He had practiced it continuously, concentrated on doing something, anything.

He could recall trying to move things, summon them and all the things he could think of which and things which he felt wouldn't be too hard

It had taken him a week to finally do something.

He had levitated the cardboard box in which he was sleeping, and was happy for what felt like admittedly the first time.

And slowly he had learned summoning and levitating and other things which helped him nick food and money.

Even though he felt ashamed for having stolen things, London’s back street Alleys had taught him to do what he needed to do in order to survive.

Using magic had felt good at the time: it had given him a certain thrill. He had tried to do all sorts of things. Even the smallest tasks had left him exhausted but after continued practice, he had stopped getting drained so quickly.

He thought it was similar to building muscle or something along those lines.

And when he had thought he could survive being alone, fate had become a bitch again and showed him that all was not over yet.

He wrenched his thoughts away from the dark lane to the information he had weaseled out of Remus the previous day.

Trelawney had been hired in 1981, just a few months away from Halloween. She must have given the prophecy during an interview, which must have shown Dumbledore that she did have seer blood in her.

And the interview must have taken place outside Hogwarts. Dumbledore must not have taken the interview seriously or, else he would've conducted it at his office. Or was it because of safety concerns? Where would the meeting have taken place?

He was not very sure about it, but his instincts had never led him astray. So someone must have heard it at the time (He couldn't imagine Dumbledore being careless with that sort of information.) and must have been caught and thrown outside before hearing the entire prophecy.

Dumbledore must have known about it after the eavesdropper had been thrown out, or he wouldn't have let him go away simply without at least erasing his memory.

Something was niggling at the back of his mind. He was missing something, but for the life of him, he couldn't grasp what it was.

The sounds of pots and pans reached him, indicating that Mrs. Weasley was up. Harry's eyes were red and dark circles appeared underneath his eyes, which stood in stark contrast against his pale skin and the lightning bolt scar on the right side of his forehead, courtesy of a cursed knife. With the thought of practicing more Occlumency and restarting his Animagus training, Harry headed to the bathroom.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: I know Harry shouldn't have a lightning bolt scar. But I can't imagine him without it. So I have Neville a different one. And the story of how Harry got that scar will be revealed later into the story.

Some action and fighting will be there in one of the next few chapters.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Author's Notes: The idea for the “Belch the Truth” candies belongs to snarky24, who first used them in their brilliant story, “Secrets and Slugs”. Go check it out!
Thanks to Jui(FGHermione) for the amazing work as always.
There is a reason Harry lived with Dursleys instead of Remus or someone else.


CHAPTER 4


After a whole week of working on the place, Mrs. Weasley finally gave them a holiday. After everyone had finished their breakfast and retired to the sitting room, Fred and George announced that they wanted to play a muggle game.

"After some thorough research of some of the ingenious muggle games, we thought a good game of Truth or Dare is what we need", Fred said theatrically, which was met with eye rolls from Ron and Ginny.

"Ooh! I love the game, we used to play it in our dormitories all night during my school days,” said Tonks, who had a day off and had preferred to stay in Grimmauld Place that day.

Harry thought she was quite mad for wanting to stay in this gloomy place, but Remus apparently didn’t think so. Harry had seen a quick smile flash across his former professor’s face when Tonks had announced the news.

"How do you ensure that the person says the truth though?" asked Hermione.

"That, dear Hermione is where our genius -,” began George

"- Astounding -,” continued Fred

"Spiffing minds come into play,” concluded George.

"You see, we created the iconic Belch the Truth candies -"

"What the whatsit candies?" asked Ron, interrupting Fred.

"Belch the Truth candies, which make you vomit slugs when you lie -,”

"- it's thanks to you, dear brother, we got the idea,”

Ron turned a little green, probably remembering the incident when his spell on Malfoy had backfired and he had to belch slugs for over an hour.

"I thought you lost all your money to Bagman… where did you get the money to create these new inventions?" asked Ginny.

"Well… we don't know whether to share it with you or not,” replied Fred.

"Yeah, I don't know if it's a good idea,” said George.

"Quit with the drama already, and just bloody say how you got the money. You didn't do anything illegal right?" said Ron with a trace of trepidation.

"You wound us, dear brother -"

"- we, doing something unlawful?"

"Please spare us with the crap,” said Ginny in an exasperated voice.

"Well… we got a letter with 1500 galleons in my trunk. The letter didn't have the name of the sender. It said, use the money for the joke shop and that 'this world could always use a good laugh and it would definitely be needed in the future more than ever'. That has become our motto ever since,” said George quoting marks in the air for the quotation in the letter.

"Yep, whoever it is, we owe them a lot and decided to at least repay it by creating a few laughs,” said Fred.

"1500 galleons, and he gave it to you…,” asked Ron, his voice a mixture of awe and envy.

"It could also be a she," pointed out Hermione.

"And he didn't even reveal his face", exclaimed Tonks.

" You are bloody lucky, that's what you are,” said Ginny.

Remus seemed to have realized who had given Fred and George the money- he was looking at Harry and trying to catch his eye.

"So, how about we start the game? If anyone doesn't want to answer any question or do any task, they will be subjected to one of our products -,” said Fred.

"- which may or may not be tested for stability," George added, trying for an ominous voice but failing miserably as he grinned like Christmas had come early.

"So basically, you're playing a game and also obtaining test subjects, which means we are fools to play along with you, huh?” said Ginny.

"That is very Slytherin of you,” quipped Harry, who was finding this family drama amusing.

Fred and George looked as though no one had ever insulted them that badly while the others laughed at the indignant looks on the identical twins’ faces.

"We don't have any Slytherin qualities,” said Fred.

"You are just jealous of our marvelous brains,” said George.

"Whatever lets you sleep at night Georgie,” said Ginny with a smirk and a wink towards Harry, who felt quite proud of his quip, which he hadn’t really considered funny before.

"So, are we playing or not?" Tonks said with an eye roll, sighing impatiently.

"I don't think this is such a good idea,” said Hermione, sharing Harry’s thoughts.

"Come on Hermione, where is your sense of fun, you have to loosen up now and then. It will be fun!” said Ron.

"Yes, you're playing Hermione,” said Ginny with the air of a person who would do anything to achieve what she wanted.

"Everyone is playing and that's final,” said Tonks, directing it towards Remus and Harry.

Remus held up his hands in a surrender and Harry unwillingly agreed to play under everyone's hard stare.



~*~



Ginny thought this was the perfect time to get her answers from Harry.

She didn't know how to ask him the questions that had been plaguing her thoughts for two days. She was almost sure- as absurd though her thought was- that Harry was the one who had given her that letter in the hospital wing. She remembered the letter's contents by heart now:

Even the greatest people in the world make mistakes; that doesn't diminish their greatness, but shows that they are humans.
You are a strong person, Ginny, for continuously fighting Riddle (who is a dark lord by the way) for a year.
If that isn't strength, I don't know what is.
Don't let the events drag you down, believe me about that, rise above them.

Xxx
He Who Thinks Riddle
Is A Complete Arse

The problem was that at that time she had thought that the letter had been given to her by the person who had saved her in the Chamber. But she couldn't imagine an eleven-year-old Harry killing a basilisk and destroying the diary in the presence of Tom. And the main flaw in this theory was that Harry wasn't a Parselmouth, at least as far as she knew. So he couldn't have entered the Chamber in the first place.

She had shared her view with Hermione, who had agreed with her but also said, "Neville wasn't the one who saved you, so someone other than him must have known Parseltongue. That’s how they entered the Chamber and saved you.”

Ginny also wanted to know why he had isolated himself from them, from her. That question always plagued her mind. Why he had withdrawn himself, away from her? It really hurt if she was honest with herself. It felt like abandonment. She would find out the answers today, though.

The sound of Fred and George distributing some green-coloured candies to everyone jolted her out of her thoughts.

Everyone looked wary of eating the candy, which wasn't just because of the unappealing colour of it but because it was given by Fred and George.

Said twins took enormous pride in the wariness they had created in everyone and popped their candies in their mouths.

Ginny popped her own candy, expecting a vile taste but was surprised at their slight sweetness but mostly tasteless flavour.

"Now that we have eaten the Belch the Slug candies -"

"Do you have to use that name?” moaned Tonks, whose hair was now a sickly green colour.

"- let's start the game," continued George, as though Tonks hadn't interrupted him.

Fred rolled an empty butter beer bottle in the middle of the circle they had formed.

The bottle stopped when its mouth was turned towards Hermione.

Hermione appeared to be bracing herself as she said, “I choose truth.”

Ginny couldn't stop the smirk that was freezing her features. She couldn’t wait to see what Hermione would be asked.

"What’s your guilty pleasure, Hermione, something which we don’t know?” asked Ron. He too appeared to be enjoying the game immensely.

"Remember, Hermione the truth or you will belch slugs until you say it,” warned George, who too seemed to be eager for the answer.

After taking a deep breath, a red-faced Hermione mumbled something along the lines of "Readingtrashyromancenovels,” in a rush.

"We didn't get what you said Hermione, why don't you repeat yourself?” said Tonks who definitely understood what Hermione was saying if the wicked grin on her face meant anything

"I read trashy romance novels, alright?” said Hermione testily, still bright red as she covered her face with her hands.

Everyone burst into laughter; even Harry and Lupin were unsuccessfully trying to suppress their smiles. Ginny knew she was being a hypocrite laughing since she had her own stash of these novels in her trunk, but she couldn't stop herself. The idea of Hermione- someone who thought making books without good content in them was a sin- reading trashy novels was hilarious.

Ron who was still laughing, wheezed out, "Should've known your guilty pleasure would be reading a book,” which set off another round of laughter, causing Hermione even more embarrassment.

Probably knowing nothing else to do, Hermione spun the bottle again, which stopped at Lupin. Lupin chose truth too.

“What’s the most mischievous thing you’ve ever done, Remus?” asked Tonks.

Lupin replied with an air of a man reminiscing his memories. “We were in our seventh year and it was the final Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw. I was the commentator -".

"You were the commentator?” Fred asked, astonished.

Ginny couldn't blame him; even though she knew Lupin was a prankster in his school years, the image of her calm professor doing commentary for a quidditch match was a bit unbelievable.

"Yeah, I was, McGonagall had kittens by the end of that match, pun intended.” Everyone laughed at that. “Ravenclaw was leading by the points and James and Sirius weren't playing their best. I was swearing left and right, you know, like catch the bloody Quaffle properly, Sirius you dolt, aim the bludger properly, and come on we're going to lose the damn match if you continue to play like this. McGonagall was furious as she tried to stop me. But it was our last year, and I didn't care about detentions and house points. I went away from her to the audience stands and shouted, I will say who gave those cat toys to McGonagall for Christmas if you don't start playing nicely, Sirius -

"He didn't, and you..." said Hermione, trying to sound disapproving though she was laughing too.

Fred, George, Tonks and Ron were on the floor rolling in laughter.

Ginny too couldn't stop herself laughing at the boldness of Sirius giving cat toys to McGonagall and Remus as good as announcing it to the whole school.

She could imagine McGonagall's lips thinning to a straight line when she saw the cat toys. She could see in her mind's eye, McGonagall changing into a tabby cat and playing with the yarn ball and kitten playthings and burst out laughing even more.

She noticed that Harry, who was smiling with a touch of wistfulness and longing at the story Remus was regaling, was taking all the information about his parents and Godfather like a man drinking water for the first time in days.

"- he did," continued Remus, "and Sirius saw the expression on McGonagall's face and pushed his broom faster and started pelting the Ravenclaw players with Bludgers and Merlin, I could swear he was cursing. I didn't stop there. I shouted again that Lily said she won’t come with you to your late-night rendezvous like every day if you lose this match, but will give you a special gift if you win the match James, I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss your ‘special gift’. And James nearly lost grip of his broom and the entire stadium and even the Ravenclaw players started laughing. McGonagall too was smiling and stopped trying to take the megaphone from my hands, kissing it as a lost cause. Lily was bright red and was yelling that she would hex my bits off."

Remus too was laughing now, his eyes crinkling as everyone else howled in mirth, clutching their stomachs.

"You are a naughty wolf, Remus,” said Tonks, and realising she had said it out loud, blushed and her hair changed colors rapidly, settling on bright red.

Remus too was quite red in the face, and probably to spare them, Harry asked, “So, did they win or lose?"

Tonks threw him a grateful glance and Remus replied, "They definitely won, though now that I think of it James must have thought I wasn't lying. I spent two weeks cleaning bedpans in the hospital wing and cleaning cauldrons. Though it was worth it if you ask me. Sirius was trying to avoid McGonagall and James and Lily got teased relentlessly about the special gift she gave him."

And they laughed again.

After everyone finally got hold of themselves, Remus spun the bottle, which stopped at Harry, who was watching it with trepidation.

Harry too chose truth but looked as if he regretted choosing it.

Ginny didn't want to start it with a very personal question. She would wait.

" What is the most hilarious thing you’ve ever done?"
Tonks asked.

A wicked grin appeared on his features which he directed at Fred and George.

"Have you ever found out who stole the Marauders' Map yet?" asked Harry.

Fred and George’s mouths were hanging open.

"It was you…,” said Fred.

"But how did you know we had it?" demanded George.

"Isn't that the map you talked about?" Ron asked Lupin.

"What's this map?" asked Tonks, who was the only one who didn't know anything about it

"Yes, It's the same one. And it shows the secret passages in the castle and also shows where everyone is in the school grounds," said Remus, looking quite pleased with himself.

"Wicked!" exclaimed Tonks, whose hair started changing colours rapidly, showing her enthusiasm about the map.

"And you didn't tell us you had this map with you?” asked Ginny furiously. Something like that would have been very useful and her own brothers didn’t even mention it. Ron too looked equally furious

"Ah! We all have our own secrets, little sister, don't we? Anyway, we planned to give it to you and Ron the year we would leave the castle,” said George.

"But the real question is how come Lupin and Harry knew about this map,” said Fred

"I always thought you had something like a map or a tool as you always knew where everyone was and all. I remember Sirius telling me about the map. He said that Filch had confiscated it without knowing what it really was, and I joined two and two. I knew I had to steal it so that Sirius wouldn't be caught,” said Harry, clearly enjoying himself, with just a touch of melancholy at the mention of Sirius.

"But how did Sirius know about the map?" asked Fred, his impatience clear.

Ginny was enjoying herself too with Ron and Hermione as the three of them knew the answer to that question.

"Come on Fred, don't you think the inventors of the map would know about this,” said Lupin, an amused smile playing at his face.

"You mean to say that you and Sirius are two of the four who created the map…," said Fred in wonder.

"Yep, Moony and Padfoot. Prongs is James and Wormtail is Peter,” said Remus, his voice getting an edge while mentioning Peter.

Fred and George were looking like they couldn't believe themselves as they got up in unison and bowed to Remus, saying together: "We owe you so much, oh! Moony, you taught us young innocents"- at this Ginny and Ron snorted -" the art of mischief making."

Lupin looked quite flustered at this and Harry and Tonks started laughing hard.

Ginny personally thought her situation wasn’t much better.

"But what is hilarious about stealing a map, though?" asked Tonks.

At this, identical scowls appeared on Fred and George’s faces. And Harry looked smug.

Hermione seemed to have reached a conclusion about what was hilarious and started laughing.

"What are you laughing about?" said Ron who looked as confused as Ginny felt.

"Remember Fred and George getting pranked in our third year? We didn't know who did it," Hermione said, trying to suppress her smile.

And now Ginny could tell why Hermione was laughing and started laughing with her. Soon Ron too caught up with them.

Ginny explained to a confused Tonks and Remus, " One day, in our third year, Fred and George suddenly started turning green and their mouths got elongated as they turned into two kappas and started farting around. And that's not it, those farts were their words which found another way besides their mouth. You should have seen them talking like that. Flitwick had to reverse those charms on them. Harry must have taken the map in that chaos."

Tonks and Remus started laughing too.

"I could've done it simply, but I was feeling a bit cheerful that day,” said Harry.

Fred and George lost their scowls and started laughing as they grudgingly admitted that it was a good prank.

Harry rotated the bottle and it again stopped at him. Harry chose truth again, probably seeing Fred and George’s wicked grin and choosing not to take a risk.

It’s now or never, Ginny thought as she spoke up. "Why did you isolate yourself and try to escape every time we tried to talk to you in our second year?”

Harry looked like he definitely didn't expect this question. He looked quite startled for a moment and looked her in the eye for a few seconds. Ginny tried her best to hold his intense gaze. He must have found something or at least thought she deserved an answer, as he took a deep breath and started.

"It wasn't you, not really. I thought it for the best and I wasn't thinking rationally, mind you. You see, I had a - well um…I had a shitty childhood. My relatives despised my very existence. I can't really blame them -"

"Can't blame them? They made your childhood a hell, Harry,” said Remus fiercely.

"And I hate them for it. But they never really wanted me, did they? No. And the Dursleys were afraid of magic, Petunia hated Mum. I represented everything they don't like. I disturbed their so-called normal life. So, yeah, they loathed me and made sure I knew that,” said Harry. Even though he had started reluctantly, he appeared to want to get it all out, as though he couldn’t hold it much longer.

Everyone except Remus looked shocked, even though they had all suspected his home life wasn't good, they had never expected it was that bad. Tonks did look like she was aware of it, or had strongly suspected it at least, though. Ginny didn't know what he was getting at with this line, but listened closely.

"So, one day I ran away and somehow ended up in London. I learnt to be sneaky from a very young age, to avoid my cousin and his gangs bullying or getting some food to ease my hunger whenever possible. All types of businessmen and workers were always on the busy streets.
I found a cardboard box in an alley that was rarely visited. I didn't want to be sent to an orphanage. I knew I wouldn't fit there. I would be called a freak there again. So I slowly started pickpocketing. I got my magic a bit under control. At that time, I thought I had some powers or something. It helped with getting enough money and food,” he continued in a detached voice as though he was reliving those days.

"I always made sure that I only stole from those people to whom it wouldn’t matter much if I stole a bit. It helped a little to ease my guilt. Well, the other kids didn't like someone new who was getting on well single handedly. They threatened me to join them or face consequences. They were a bad bunch. They used drugs and sold them to students. Didn't care about who they were robbing. I refused, of course, I didn't want to become like that nor did I want to take orders from others, just when I had finally gotten freedom.

“I thought I could take them since I had gotten little control over my magic. I became overconfident and paid the price. They broke a few bones of mine. I somehow escaped them and found myself in a lorry for some rest. Next thing I knew I was in Cornwall. My bones had adjusted a bit, but they were still tender and sore."

Ginny didn't know what to think. She had never imagined anyone having to live like that. She couldn't imagine living without her parents to kiss her pain away and keep her fears at bay. Couldn't imagine growing up without her brothers, as much they annoyed her at times. It all felt unreal, but listening to Harry, she didn't think for a second that he was lying or exaggerating.

Lupin looked as though this story was new to him too. He looked far older than she had ever seen him. No doubt feeling guilty that he hadn't been there for Harry in his time of need

"I escaped the truck without alerting the driver. An old man saw me drinking some water from a river. He said that he had a job for me and he would give food and shelter. I immediately took it. Worked in his general Store. Doing whatever was needed. He never asked me about my past, for which I was grateful. He probably guessed that I was beaten to pulp. He told me that there was a friend of his who was giving martial arts training and asked me if I’d like to join. Told me it was for free. I got up daily, went there and learned how to fight. I completed my work at the store and went back to his training centre when he was training the adults. I tried to learn that too. I didn't want to lose the next fight and get humiliated. The trainer never asked me to leave. A few months later, I left. I came back to London in the same way I had reached Cornwall. Found those who had beaten me into pulp and asked them to leave or they would have to face the consequences."

"Are you crazy? Didn't you learn anything from last time? And why did you leave Cornwall?" demanded Hermione.

"Sometimes, we have to be the predator if we don't want to be the prey, Hermione. As for Cornwall, I didn't want to impose on the old man anymore. I wanted payback and I paid back good though I was bruised. They gave me a wider berth from then on. I felt strong again, and got my life in my hands. The London alleys gave me lessons that we can't learn in schools. Life lessons and survival. I stole books and read them whenever I got time so that I wouldn't forget reading and got pretty addicted to detective novels too."

"After one and a half year, Hagrid came, saying that I was a wizard and there was a school where there were people like me and that my parents didn't die in a car crash drunk -"

"Your relatives said your parents died in a car crash drunk?!” exclaimed Ron in outrage, the tips of his ears turning red.

Everyone else also looked quite angry.

Who would anyone lie to their own nephew about his parents’ death? Ginny thought fuming.

"Well, what did you expect? I didn't even know I look like my father and have my mother's eyes.” His voice didn't hide his sadness or his resentment towards the Dursleys.

"Hagrid became my first ever friend, and I was thrilled. Thrilled to meet people like me and form friendships. It all felt so good and surreal. I didn't give much attention when Hagrid explained some prejudices but in the train, it became clear that the Wizarding World had its own flaws. Looking down at Muggleborns and all. Then you came and introduced yourself, asked my name and started chatting away and it felt good to belong, to not be some outcast." He directed the last at Ginny.

"After a few months of friendship, you started acting weird. I didn't want to say anything in fear of losing our friendship. But as time grew on, you spent less time with me and became pale and unhealthy. Attacks were happening and I was worried. I confronted you, pointing out that you were forgetting things and acting very odd. You tried to head me off saying it was nothing, but I was insistent. You shouted at me to go to hell, and that you shouldn't have struck a friendship with me in the first place, and that I was pathetic trying to cling onto you and all."

Ginny felt her heart grow cold. Had she really said that? “I…,” she began, at a complete loss of words.

"Oh, don't worry, Riddle must have wanted you not to be friends with anyone to make you more vulnerable," said Harry. She could feel the relief seeping into her body, but that didn’t shake off the feeling of guilt at finding out what she’d done to him, even though she hadn’t been in control of her body then.

" I didn't know it at the time I was hurt. For the first time I had felt like I belonged somewhere. But then the doubt started, even though I knew you only a little, I could tell that you would never hurt anyone like that. And when it was proved that Riddle had possessed you, I was relieved to find out that those were his words."

"If you knew that I didn't say those words then why did you stop talking to me?” Ginny exclaimed, confused.

"I was scared," he admitted.

" Scared! Of what, me?" Ginny said furiously. She knew that the anger was irrational but she couldn't help it. She had always believed that the reason her friend had stopped talking to her was her fault. Now was proved true, even though involuntarily.

"No, I was scared of the hurt I felt, the possibility of feeling it again. After leaving the Dursleys, I vowed to myself that I’d never be vulnerable and weak again. And something else happened too. I thought it best to be like I’d been in the past- no friendships except Hagrid, with whom I had become very close.

"I knew I was being a coward, but I was scared of feeling the pain again. I never belonged at the Dursleys, but here once I had finally gotten the feeling of belonging; of having friendship after years of yearning for it, and it all shattered me when I lost it. And it scared me. You know we will only ever know the true pain of not having something if we know the happiness when we had it,” Harry said, his voice cracking a bit.

Ginny didn't know what to say, after all the hardships he had had to suffer, he deserved a friendship. The thought that her words had been the reason for his self-imposed loneliness was eating away at her.

As though reading her thoughts, he said, “Don't feel guilty, it wasn't your fault. Hagrid always insisted that I should try and make friends, that I will not know how the friendship will go if I never give it a chance. Sirius said that too. But things got in the way, Sirius died and all I wanted was revenge. Learning all I could and hunting down Wormtail."

"I thought that too, Harry. It's easier not making friends so it won't be painful when they turn their back on you after learning I am a werewolf. But James, Sirius and Peter, yes Harry, Peter too- he wasn't always like that, Harry. He was a loyal friend once. They taught me true friendship. Sticked to my side even after learning what I am. They did whatever they could to make it easy on me. I will always cherish those memories, Harry. We have to take the risk sometimes, it will be worth it, if you even gain one true friend. That one friend will be enough to give you strength in your darkest times," said Remus.

Ginny found herself crying along with Tonks and Hermione. Even Fred, George and Ron had tears in their eyes.

Harry stood up suddenly, it was clear he hadn't wanted to disclose this much information to everyone. Just then Hedwig, Harry's snowy owl arrived, carrying two letters, and landed on Harry's shoulder. Harry appeared relieved for the distraction.

"Hey girl, how was your trip? Was it ok? Why don't you take some rest?" asked Harry, gently petting her as he took the two envelopes tied to her legs. He appeared surprised for a moment and handed one of the letters to Hermione.

Hermione too appeared surprised and said, "It's Viktor, why did he use Hedwig to send it and how did he get hold of Hedwig?"

Ron looked as though he wanted to say something, most probably about Vicky as he liked to call him, but showed un-Ron-like restraint.

Harry had already opened his letter and was skimming through it. He looked happy about something.

"I sent a letter to him asking a small favor and he must have given Hedwig your letter as she goes faster than normal post owls, and asked her to deliver it to you," Harry said to Hermione.

"Looks like our problem is solved, Remus, the thing we talked about the first day here. I will ask Dobby to get them." Harry said again.

"I didn't know you two knew each other and what is that thing you both are talking about," Hermione asked, echoing everyone's questions.

"I just came to know Viktor in the last three months. I first met him when I went flying early in the morning. And as for thing -", here he looked towards Remus and they both seemed to have a silent conversation and said "- please leave it at that and don't ask any more questions about it. It's better off like that."

Ginny opened her mouth to ask to renew their friendship but Harry, probably sensing a talk like that, said, "Remus, we need to talk," and left the room abruptly.

Remus too left the room, but he looked ready to give Harry a piece of his mind

Ginny didn't know what to think. What now? Didn't he understand that we, I value his friendship? That we care about him?

What could be the thing that was so important? Ginny could tell that everyone else had the same questions as well.
____________________________________

A.N: Hope it's good.
I know Harry could have lived with Remus or anyone instead of Dursleys but there is an explanation.

Thanks to Jui (FGHermione), my amazing beta for her amazing work.







Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Author's Notes: A huge thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her great beta work and advice.


CHAPTER 5

Harry was mentally castigating himself. Why did I blab like a pathetic idiot?

Maybe it’s because you are, supplied his ever-present traitorous mind which always looked for an opportunity to downgrade him.

“You have to stop running from your past, Harry. It’s time you faced it,” said Remus after closing the door of the room behind him.

“I’m not running away from anything, Remus,” snapped Harry. He didn’t like Remus pointing out what he didn’t want to admit to himself.

“You are slowly closing off, Harry. I have observed you. It won’t do you any good. You have to let someone in, Harr-”

“I let you in. I let Hagrid in -”

“Did you really? Because I don’t think so. Half the stuff you said back there is new to me. As time is passing, you are erecting barriers around you, Harry. Maybe you think they will protect you. But they won’t; believe me, they will only make it harder for you to come past them,” Remus said with such emotion that Harry didn’t feel he could deal with at the moment. He instead chose to strike back.

“That’s pretty rich coming from you, isn’t it? You didn’t even have the courtesy to say you were my parents’ best friend for two months from meeting me!” said Harry.

“And I regret it. I regret not being there for you; I still kick myself for becoming so engrossed in my misery that I thought you were better off without me. But after Albus told me what happened, I was ashamed of showing my face to you. Believe me, Harry, I will regret this to my dying day,” said Remus. “And great advice usually comes from people who wished they had followed it…” After a slight pause, he whispered, “I don’t want to lose you too.”

Harry looked up sharply at this; he could understand where this was coming from, how couldn’t he?

Remus had lost his best friends, his family in one night. Two murdered, one believed to have betrayed everyone, and the other murdered by the betrayer. And his friends had thought he was the traitor. He had had to live with that knowledge. And then the truth finally came out; the one who he had thought had betrayed everyone was innocent, and the one believed to be dead was very much alive- and had been the mole the entire time. And then, after finally getting this knowledge, he had to lose his best friend all over again.

He could also remember trying to steal Sirius’ corpse under the ministry’s nose with Remus, who didn’t even get a little rest after the transformation with some help from Dumbledore. So that Sirius could at least rest near his best friends in Godric’s Hollow. It strengthened their relationship.

If anyone could empathize with him, it’s Harry. They were the only living link to each other of his parents and Sirius. He couldn’t lose Remus either.

“You will not lose me, Remus,” said Harry, “we will talk, but not now."

Remus perhaps understanding the underlying plea didn’t press further, at least for now.

Trying to reorient his thoughts took longer than he liked.

“Viktor said he knows someone who wants to get rid of some of his books, books that are dark enough that he didn’t even try to open and wanting to erase his connection to them,” said Harry, explaining the letter.

The thing they have talked about is to search how Voldemort remained alive after taking the killing curse rebounded, though it was. They think Dumbledore already knows or at least has some idea, but as Dumbledore wouldn’t share the information, they’re trying to get some themselves.

“Well, they sound like the type of books from which Voldemort could’ve got the information,” said Remus. “I think sending Dobby to retrieve them is better than an owl post. And how much did he ask for them?”

Remus still looked like he would want to continue the previous conversation. Harry was grateful he didn’t.

“A five thousand galleons, but I think it’s worth it, at least so that it wouldn’t fall in the wrong hands. And I’m thinking of sending Dobby too,” Harry said and called "Dobby!"

With a loud crack, Dobby appeared, his tennis ball-like eyes wide and his bat-like pointed ears quivering with excitement at being called. He wore his trademark mismatched jumper and shorts and socks. But there was a slight air of gloom to him. Which made Harry concerned.

“Good afternoon Harry Potter sir and Remy sir, what can Dobby do for you?” said Dobby," Harry Potter is taking care of himself, I hope."

Remus raised an eyebrow at this.

Harry knew why Dobby was asking this, as Dobby was the one who treated his injuries the last time, and he could still feel a slight pain in his ribs if he did some heavy work.

“I’m fine, Dobby. Is everything alright Dobby? You know you can ask me if you need anything, right?” asked Harry.

Dobby’s eyes slowly welled up with tears.

“It’s Winky Harry Potter sir. She didn’t stop her drinking, sir. Dobby doesn’t know what to do, Dobby is afraid Winky will… will,” and he burst into very noisy tears and flung himself on Harry’s knees.

Harry, who knew that Winky was already in awful shape the last time he saw, could only imagine how she is now. Drunk with barely any coherent thought, thin and fragile... Dobby suddenly looked up with so much hope shining in his eyes that Harry was sure he would have done anything he could if Dobby asked for it.

“Would Harry Potter take Winky as his house-elf? Dobby is sure Winky will get back to normal if she has someone she has to look after. Winky needs to feel belonged in a family. This place also needs a lot of cleaning. That nasty Kreacher is a disgrace for the house-elves. He talks ill about his master and doesn’t do very good work for you, Harry Potter sir. Winky would do great work for you, sir…”

Harry stopped Dobby in his mid-rant and said, “Ok Dobby, Winky can work for me if you think that will help her and keep you happy.”

Dobby hugged Harry, which was surprisingly tight for his small stature and proclaimed,

“Harry Potter is the bestest greatest wizard ever.”

Harry didn’t know how to make Dobby stop saying those things and Remus laughing beside him didn’t help matters.

“Ok Dobby, remember what are friends for? You know the rules, Dobby, say that to her before bringing her here and I need a small favour from you, Dobby,” said Harry.

“Anything Harry Potter, sir,” replied Dobby.

“I want you to go to Bulgaria to Viktor Krum’s house and bring a parcel for me, Dobby. They are very important and take five thousand galleons from Gringotts. The key is in the trunk and deposit the parcel you receive in the trunk too. Is that okay, Dobby?” asked Harry.

“Yes, Harry Potter sir. Dobby will be very discreet with it”.

“And here” Harry handed the piece of parchment of the address in Dumbledore’s loopy handwriting to Dobby," Show it to Winky, and you know where to place the parchment back."

“Thank you again, Harry Potter sir!” and with a loud crack, Dobby disappeared.

“Still very enthusiastic about you, I see,” said Remus smiling.

“Yeah, he is and I think he will always remain like that,” cheerful little bugger, Harry thought fondly

It touched Harry that Remus didn’t even feel the need to question his judgment to give Winky away the address of headquarters.

“Lunch is ready. Everyone come on dears.”

Mrs Weasley’s voice came from the dining room. Dreading to meet everyone again, Harry plastered a smile on his face and went downstairs with Remus, who wasn’t fooled by his smile.

___________

Dinner was an awkward affair. Harry, who didn’t want to broach his past, kept his silence, slowly chewing the roast chicken whose brilliant taste he couldn’t quite appreciate at the moment.

Ginny and Hermione kept their silence but were shooting the occasional concerned glances his way. Fred, George and Ron, who must have understood his embarrassment, acted as though nothing happened and were discussing the Chudley Cannons’ chances this year. (which consisted mainly of Ron’s confidence that they will win this year for sure and Fred and George ribbing him about it.)

Harry was grateful for it. Remus and Tonks were slowly talking at his side of the table. Mrs Weasley, perhaps sensing something, remained silent herself.

Someone or more entering the building broke this slight tension. The distinctive thump of Moody’s stump is audible, along with the calm voice of,

“Hope I am not intruding, Molly,” said Albus Dumbledore. Harry has seen little of Dumbledore except for a few pleasantries now and then.

“Oh no Albus, though it is a surprise. Come and sit down Albus, you too Alastor. There is still more lunch available,” said Mrs Weasley, who is always ready to feed someone or the other.

She had taken it as her job to fatten him up, expressing how thin he was and spooning third and fourth helpings on his plate. And truth to be told, he quite enjoyed her fussing on him.

“Alastor and I have some business nearby Molly and I decided it would be prudent if I delivered the book lists and school letters as the school owls couldn’t enter the building. I also hoped to taste your excellent food Molly,” said Dumbledore, who didn’t lose his charm even though most of the ministry and wizarding Britain think he has round the bend.

Mrs Weasley glowed at the praise and spooned more roast chicken on his plate.

And two sharp cracks echoed at the same time, startling everyone and making Moody whip his wand out and point it towards the source, and looked about to curse whatever he might find there.

Harry, who knew full well the reputation of Moody, took out his own wand and stood in front of the house-elves ready to produce a shield.

"You can lower your wand, Moody. They mean no harm," said Harry, who still found it disconcerting to look into Moody’s face without remembering Barty JR.'s crippled face.

Moody didn’t look ready to lower his wand. Dumbledore assured him, after seeing Winky and Dobby, that they would mean no harm.

After ensuring that Moody lowered his wand, Harry turned around and saw that Winky really did look in a terrible shape. Her tennis ball sized eyes were dull, and she was also quite thin looking.

“Hello Winky, it’s good to see you again,” Harry said kindly.

Winky at once burst into tears and launched herself at his midriff, bawling her eyes out, speaking incoherently.

“Thank you Harry Potter sir, Winky is… proud to - hiccough - Winky will…. everything.”

Harry was at a loss for words and tried to console her and looked pleadingly towards Dobby, who looked as though he would cry from happiness too.

“Dobby told you the conditions for working with me right Winky,” asked Harry.

“Yes Harry Potter sir, but Winky won’t need any day-offs or wages-”

Harry overrode her protestations, saying,

“I will hire you Winky, but you will not be a slave to me. If you don’t want any wages, then you should take something that you may like. You can inform any inconveniences you have about any work and must take the rest. You will have plenty of work cleaning this place and I want you to take it slow-”

“You are hiring a house-elf to clean this building, boy. Have you gone mad? The Order meetings will take place here. She could be a liability. She will know more than she should,” interrupted Moody heatedly with his magical eye fixed upon Harry

Hermione too tried to express her displeasure about hiring a house-elf and also about them being a liability but Ron shushed her.

“I trust her Moody-”

“Well, I don’t trust her, boy,” snarled Moody.

Harry lost his temper and snarled back.

“Then, it’s a pity that I don’t give a rat’s fart about what you think and even more of a pity that this place doesn’t belong to you.”

Moody turned towards Dumbledore for support, who was looking at Harry with those piercing blue eyes, which never failed to give Harry the impression that he was being x-rayed and Dumbledore knew all his fears and insecurities.

He finally said, ”This is Harry’s house Alastor, and it’s his wish whom he wants to bring here. And I trust him to make wise decisions."

“No wonder many are thinking you have gone senile and insane, Albus. Didn’t you learn anything from the past? How many we lost because we foolishly trusted the wrong person,” Moody said, now furious.

“What are you insinuating, Moody?” whispered Harry, who understood perfectly well what Moody was insinuating. His parents, who trusted Wormtail, were foolish, were they? To trust their best friend for whom they would’ve given their lives.

“That was uncalled for Alastor.” Said Remus, who must have thought the same.

“It’s the truth whether you want to admit it or not,” growled Moody.

“What did all your precautions and vigilance bring you, Moody? Being prisoned in your own trunk and being used for Voldemort’s plot,” Harry snarled back.

There was a complete silence. Harry knew it wasn’t Moody’s fault, but all these suspicions and the emotional rollercoaster and Moody saying his parents’ death was because of their stupidity made him lash out.

“That’s what I am saying, boy. You could never be too careful. The whole Order members’ lives are on the line, boy, do you want to endanger them?” said Moody, who too seemed to be wrestling with his temper.

“Winky will not betray Harry Potter sir and that means anyone Harry Potter sir cares about. Winky will rather die sir. Winky will be a good House elf,” Winky said frantically, afraid she might not be taken.

“Yes sir, we is not betraying anyone,” said Dobby, nodding frantically.

Harry, whose anger is now well under control, replied, “I know you will, Winky. Listen, Moody Winky is not a human. That alone is enough to trust her more than many. She never revealed Crouch’s secrets, even after he sacked her. She’s a House elf. Their main aim is to please their masters, whom they respect. If we show her the respect she deserves, I doubt that will be a problem. Now it’s up to you whether you want to continue to use this house as the headquarters or not.”

Moody’s hard stare with both his magical and normal eyes was starting to unnerve him. At last, Dumbledore said,

“Winky can work here. I am sure you understand the sensitivity of the situation Winky. We are, that is Harry is placing huge trust on you Winky. Make sure it isn’t misplaced.”

Harry then turned to Winky, who looked as though Christmas had arrived early.

“Now Winky, I don't know if there is any process for this or not. But my first order is for you to stop drinking and then get back to good health before you come to work.” Said Harry, who couldn’t help but smile at the House elf’s disappointment at not being able to join work now and elation at being once again getting to work in a family ( though it contained only one Potter now.)

“There isn’t any process Harry Potter sir, the master and the elf being in agreement is enough. Thank you Harry Potter sir, Winky can’t be able to thank you enough,” said Winky and bowed low enough that her nose touched the ground.

“No!” Harry said sharply." You bow to one here. Remember that.”

Winky looked like she didn't know what to make of her new master with his bizarre rules.

“You got a letter, Harry Potter which is placed at its usual place(which meant his charmed trunk) and Dobby will now go and do the work given to him sir,” said Dobby, who too looked quite cheerful.

“Don’t forget to bring your girlfriend a nice dress, Dobby,” said Harry, winking at him.

Dobby and Winky blushed if a house-elf could do that. And everyone laughed at his apparent discomfort.

The book lists and school letters remained in their position forgotten in the wake of the heated argument

Moody still looked unhappy with the situation and the others looked as though they didn't know what to make of the situation.

Deciding he needed a bit of solitude before he and Remus went to carry on their business.

“The meal was wonderful as always Mrs Weasley,” Harry said and gave a nod to Dumbledore, he started leaving when Dumbledore said, "Mind is a very complex thing Harry and sometimes relieving some pressure on it helps. Even a huge pile of gold and assets can't do that but also sometimes everything we need is right under our noses. And now I should take my leave too Molly and like Harry said, your cooking is wonderful as always."

With that he and Moody departed, Dumbledore giving a wave, leaving the room entirely confused except Harry.

Harry recalled his encounter with Dumbledore's Pensieve last year.

This Pensieve Harry, helps this old man to relieve his mind of its vast memories for a while. Also helps me examine things in significant detail.

Harry could do with a Pensieve now, but where would he get one? Sometimes what we need is right under our noses. Harry wondered whether the Blacks had a Pensieve and decided to visit the vault, which he avoided until today, and left the room.

Up in his room, Harry stripped to his boxers to change into a different dress and saw his reflection in the mirror. A pale figure with messy black hair and bright green eyes stared back at him.

His body was littered with small scars courtesy of his childhood but the most prominent was the lightning bolt-shaped scar which he was sure Bellatrix carved from a cursed knife to get answers from his mother, he could still hear his mother’s voice pleading and Bellatrix’s maniacal laugh from his encounters with dementors. And the long scar which extended from his torso to his right thigh, from his duel with the fake Moody.

__________________________________

A.N: Hope you like this chapter. Thanks to my wonderful beta Jui (FGHermione) for her amazing work. The updating of the new chapters will not be as frequent as my college is reopening.

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Author's Notes: A.N: All the characters used in this story belong to JKR.

Thanks to Jui (FGHermione) for her amazing work as always.



__________________________________

CHAPTER 6

After changing into some black jeans and a white button-up shirt, Harry read the letter which Dobby had placed in his special trunk, which for all intents and purposes looked like a regular school trunk.

The letter was from Gerald Smythwick. His family had a business for a long time in magical stones, and he sold a good variety of stones for anchors as well as jewellery.
He had contacted Harry and Remus, who were currently anonymous to him, a week earlier to get back his family heirloom- a necklace containing some very valuable stones --from Borgin and Burkes.

Smythiwick had claimed that Borgin had cheated his father and stolen that artefact from him, and he was pretty sure that it was still in the shop.

His father had imparted this fact to him in his dying hours and now Mr Smythwick wanted to have his heirloom where it belonged, but he also knew that it was not that simple since Borgin and Burkes was well known for its affiliation with dark artefacts.

After hearing the reputation of the Black Eagles- Harry still couldn't understand how people came up with those ridiculous names- so he had contacted Harry and Remus for help.

Harry and Remus had started doing these freelance works in the summer after his third year, mainly to escape the gaping hole in their hearts left by Sirius and also to owe debts from people to redeem them at the right time as they knew Voldemort would definitely come back one day. It had also helped to provide Remus with some financial help.

After checking for any tracking spells, they found that the letter delivered today by was simply Smythwick accepting their request for some stones required for anchoring spells.

Harry and Remus were going to steal the necklace today after three days of planning, whose result was not a great plan, but they were good at improvising the plan as they went.

Harry went downstairs, expecting Remus to be waiting downstairs but was surprised to hear what appeared to be squeals of delight from the room which was silent from his argument with Moody not long ago.

Upon opening the door Harry understood the reason for the squeals he heard. Hermione's face was aglow with happiness, and she appeared to be holding a badge, a prefect badge to be exact.

Harry had totally forgotten about the letters Dumbledore brought with him and it looked like he had also forgotten that fifth years were made prefects. So, he wasn't surprised to see Ron holding a similar badge. Mrs Weasley too looked very happy that there was another prefect in the family, but the twins looked appalled about that. Ron himself resembled a troll who had gotten hit with his own club. Ginny, Tonks and Remus were looking amused at what was happening.

"Looks like congratulations are in order," said Harry, startling them. Ron's ears turned pink and Hermione blushed herself, but was looking quite happy, which he didn't understand much as everyone in Gryffindor Tower and outside had always known she was going to be a prefect.

"Harry, could I please borrow Hedwig? I need to inform my parents about this,” said Hermione.

"Of course, just praise her a little and that will get her to do your work easily. She likes being praised," Harry said, his lips twitching upwards at the image of Hedwig preening under the praise.

Hermione immediately dashed out of the room and Harry took his own letter and opened it, more out of a habit than anything else. Opening the letter gave him a semblance of something normal. It gave the feeling of welcome only a home ever gives. And Hogwarts was his only home.

"Alright, there Harry?" Tonks asked, looking slightly concerned.

Everyone else was looking too, probably thinking I'm feeling sad for not being a prefect, which was far from the truth. Harry didn't need any responsibilities and he would have returned any badge they might have given him, which he knew wouldn't happen anyway.

"Never better," Harry replied. “Ready, Remus?"

"Yes Harry, let's go," said Remus, who looked like he understood what Harry was feeling while opening the letter.

"Where are you going?" asked Mrs Weasley.

"Nothing to worry, Molly, just some small work, and we will be home by the time of the party for our new prefects," said Remus.

Harry could remember a time when he had had to convince Remus to let him work with him and warning him that he would do the work himself if Remus declined.


____________________


The Leaky Cauldron was bustling with people who had to have some late lunch before returning to their work. Harry and Remus were chatting to calm their nerves before they went to Knockturn Alley.

"Where do you think Dumbledore kept the books he took from the headquarters?" asked Harry.

"Mostly in his office, very tightly secured. Don't even try to think about trying to get into his office and snoop around. You don't want him to think you are interested in them, though I think he trusts you very much, he has a huge responsibility on him and a doubt that someone as powerful as you dabbling in dark arts will do you no good," warned Remus.

Poor Remus doesn't know what all you know, said his inner voice, Harry didn't know how one could be so against oneself this much.

"So, you aren't afraid that I will go the wrong way?" Harry said. He didn't know what made him ask that, but he wanted to know the answer.

"I trust you, Harry, I know you enough to know that you are not evil. We all will stray our path at times, Harry, it's finding our way back that defines us, and we will need help in doing that," said Remus. Harry knew what Remus was implying, but thankfully he changed that track, most possibly to avoid those thoughts before the task they were about to do.

"So, how is the animagus practice going?" asked Remus.

"Not great, it's been difficult to concentrate on remaining in the form and keeping my senses," said Harry, who was frustrated by the lack of progress.

"Don't become irritated. It takes time and patience. Becoming an animagus form with a single animal is hard enough, you are practising for the second one Harry. Only a few people even have two animagus forms and even few have managed to achieve it," said Remus patiently. He was used to his complaining about the lack of results.

"I know. But that doesn't make it any less frustrating."

Indeed, Harry remembered, not just from Remus but from Sirius too.

"Having two animagus forms is rare but not very much, but accomplishing the transformation is very rare Harry. Only a few people were known to have succeeded in it," said Sirius. " Becoming an Animagus is very hard because you need a lot of willpower to do it. You have to delve deep inside your mind and contact your animal form, Harry. It represents you, Harry, not your power.

The fact that you have two forms represents your complex nature, Harry, it doesn't indicate your power, maybe a bit but that's all. Because there are many powerful wizards and witches who have only one animagus form. You can take McGonagall as an example. She is a powerful witch with a cat animagus. It is not a representation of her power."

"So, what should I do next?" asked Harry, barely containing his enthusiasm.

"I want you to contact your forms daily before you fall asleep. You remember how to do it, right? Concentrate on the hawk form first; it will be the easier one. And don't try to join your minds before I tell you, you have to have a firm grip on your mind, or you would be stuck in the animal's mind inside your mind. And don't try the transformation too, just because you want it to happen fast, the results would be disastrous. And bring me the ingredients for the trance-inducing potion too. One more attempt with the help of the potion will give you a better idea of doing it yourself."


Remus just smiled and stood up and started towards the entrance towards Diagon Alley and Harry followed him.

Remus and Harry both drew the hoods of their robes above them and did a notice-me-not charm to their faces.

"Do you remember the plan?"

"Yes, I do Remus, now open your robe."

After ensuring that no one was watching them, Remus opened his robes and Harry quickly disillusioned himself and turned into his Hawk form, whose dark feathers and bright green eyes were hidden under the disillusionment charm. Remus liked to call this animagus form Blitz. He went inside Remus robe pocket, which was charmed to not show any bulge outside of it.

Remus then stepped into the dark and dingy Knockturn Alley, keeping his head down and moving briskly and purposefully. His black robe also helped in mixing with the people there.

A tinkling sound indicated Remus entering the shop. The owner, a stooping man appeared behind the counter, smoothing his greasy hair,

"How may I help you sir?" his voice had an oily texture to it.

Remus leaned on the counter and adjusted his robe to open a bit to allow Blitz to come out of his pocket without Borgin being aware of it.

"I have been recommended by some friends of mine that I will get some items here that I would not get as easily elsewhere," said Remus deepening his voice and making it sharp, appearing as sinister as the things in the shop.

Blitz could see the shop now; it was a dusty place with a stone fireplace. Evil-looking masks were leering down and a withered hand, a dark cabinet and some sinister-looking objects. There was another door that was slightly ajar and looked like a storeroom.

"It depends upon what you need and how much money you can afford to spend. So, what are you searching for, sir?" Borgin said in the same oily voice

"Money is no problem, I have plenty of it and know plenty well how to handle it. I am looking for objects, you see, that look innocent enough. But looks are not everything, are they?" said Remus, sounding as though he had been in many dealings like this. He then patted his other robe pocket with the galleons causing a clinking sound and assuring Borgin that he indeed had a good sum on him.

Borgin asked Remus to follow him and led him to the back door to the storeroom. Borgin then took out his wand and then tapped the door and muttered something indistinguishable, then turned towards Remus and said in a warning tone,

"If you have purchased any items from me, then the moment you step out of the door, you have never bought anything from me, understood? If not, I'm sure you wouldn't like the consequences. If you agree to that, we will have a good business."

"Of course, I have never bought anything from you, but you too wouldn't like to know what would happen if you cheated me. Things work both ways, Mr Borgin," said Remus without any indication that he was scared by the threat.

Borgin smiled at that and led him through the door. The moment the door closed behind them, Blitz turned back into human form and took out his wand. Carefully not making much noise, Harry started charming the objects in the shop, starting with the leering masks and completing with the various items, which he didn't know the name of. And at once he brought down the masks and whispered, "satus incantatum".

The sound of the masks falling was followed by the various items in the shop jumping and bumping with each other and started roaming the shop and causing a racket. Harry immediately turned into Blitz at the same moment the door to the storeroom opened and Borgin and Remus came out to find the shop in a mini chaos.

Borgin looked surprised and took out his wand and pointed it towards one of the orbs like glass and said, "FINITE". But all that was achieved was causing them to make more noise and they started moving outside the shop. Borgin went after them shouting obscenities and Remus followed him, discreetly throwing a spell at some cards, causing them to explode and fill the room with smoke.

Blitz slipped into the storeroom in the racket and transformed back. Remus didn't stop the spell, as they had planned to do before if Remus didn't find the necklace in the basement. So, the necklace must be there.

Harry searched for the necklace and kept an ear open for the sound to recede, indicating Borgin being successful in stopping the spell, which the Marauders' had discovered in their school time and which Remus and Harry had modified to cause much more mayhem, making it much more difficult to stop.

The store was much larger on the inside and had some steps down, probably towards the basement, where the books were kept, if Harry and Remus’ information was correct. Harry didn't want to test the basement door as it was probably much more warded. After passing racks containing several rings, bracelets and some necklaces which he thought had some alluring nature to them. There were also swords and daggers that had dried blood on them.
Harry was intrigued by the spell Borgin used to hide this room. He was sure that was the spell used in trunks, but it was much more sophisticated and complex.

At the end of the room stood the necklace, looking as though it had been made yesterday itself. It looked exactly like the picture Smythwick had showed them. It was a beautiful piece of work with rubies embedded throughout it with occasional sapphires. It felt like it has a magical quality to it.

But it was encased in a glass box which was he sure to be warded. Harry knew enough about warding but mostly about the type that was darker. He had learnt the subtle art of ward breaking in The Lair. He dabbled in things he knew he shouldn't have. But now was not the time for reliving the past.

Harry closed his eyes and concentrated and slowly on easing his magical consciousness and senses to the surrounding magic. There was a strong dark, forbidding aura present in the room. It looked like all the racks were cursed to prevent robbery. Harry slowly contacted the magic surrounding the glass case. He tried to slowly seep through the magic, making himself as friendly to it as possible so as to not trigger any alarms.

It was quite taxing. He could feel the sweat on his body with the effort. But he didn't know other ways to break or counter the wards. After seeping through halfway, Harry started to mix his magic along with wards, supplying strength to them and making them stronger. The magic around the case started to accept him more readily than before. After sufficiently ensuring that his magic had gained a foothold, Harry brought down his magic, swiftly bringing down the wards along with it, giving it no time to counteract the sudden change. After ensuring there were no more obstacles, Harry removed the case and took the necklace. The sound above stopped suddenly and he could hear Borgin saying, "If I ever find out who did this, they will hope I kill them quickly." He definitely wasn't in a good mood.

Harry immediately cast a doubling charm on the necklace;, he knew the duplicate wouldn't last even a few hours but he didn't care. Storing the original in his enlarged robe pocket, placing the duplicate in the original's place and casting a confundus charm on it, Harry replaced the glass case, turned into Blitz and flew to the top of the door and waited for them to enter back.

In no time Borgin entered followed by Remus. "That was a good piece of charm work you displayed there," Borgin was saying to Remus.

"It was nothing, just needed to find how it was working, though I must say, the prank or whatever it was, was quite innovative," said Remus. Harry was sure there was an undercurrent of amusement to his voice.

Blitz carefully flew down to Remus and clung to the backside of his robe and waited for him to open his robe a bit so that he could get into its pocket. He could've flown out but for that damn bell, which he was sure wouldn't be quieted down by a silencing spell.

Remus and Borgin continued to chat and examine the various dark relics. Borgin's anger seemed to have evaporated during his explanation of some of the obscure curses on the objects. Remus, on the pretense of examining an opal necklace, slowly opened the robe and Blitz slid inside. Borgin didn't observe any distortion in his vicinity.

Now the second part of their plan had started. Remus suddenly went down to his knees gasping and coughing, showing that he too was a Marauder. Borgin came to his side and asked, "What happened, Mr.."

He seemed to have realised he didn't know the gasping man's name.

"Nothing, I knew I forgot““ Remus coughed ““ taking my potions," said Remus, still wheezing.

"I will come back later this night for the necklace, it is better to do this business after sunset anyway," said Remus and started towards the entrance and quickly went out of the shop before Borgin tried to stop him or ask to pay some advance.




Once back in the Diagon Alley, Remus opened his robe again, making sure that no one was paying them any attention.

Blitz came out and transformed back into Harry. Remus and Harry looked at each other for a second and burst into laughter.

"You should've seen his face when the items started to go out of the shop and the neighbour came out to see what was causing the racket. So did you get it? Sorry, he nearly caught me charming the items to multiply, so I had to cover up by stopping them," said Remus.

"No problem there, and yes, I got it," said Harry triumphantly.

It was good laughing with Remus- they didn't do it much these days, they didn't have much to laugh at either.

After seeing that it was a quarter to five in his watch, Harry and Remus decided to leave the package at the place mentioned in the letter and collect their anchor stones.

After entering the narrow alley beside Gringotts, they saw the trash bins. Tapping the bins with the wand and saying the password "We got the necklace," Remus opened the bin to find the five stones, three of which were blood red in colour and two of which were dark purple. Remus couldn't get the stones from the bin. Raising an eyebrow at Harry, he said, "Drop the necklace here."

After dropping the necklace, a loud ping echoed in the alley and the necklace vanished and Remus was able to take the stones.

"Mad-eye would be quite proud of whoever Smythwick is," said Remus, his amber eyes glittering with amusement.

"Ok, let's finish our project. I will look into the Black family vault later for the pensieve and check if they had any books in there, though I think the chances are nil," said Harry, already imagining the feeling of speeding air through on his face and the thrill of freedom.

_________________________________

A.N: Ok, hope it's nice. More about how the animagus training will be revealed later. And comment on the reason Harry and Remus need the anchor stones.

Thanks to Jui(FGHermione) who always makes sure the chapters are good enough.







Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130616