To Protect a Family by Jewels



Summary: The war is over and Harry and Ginny have moved on with their lives together. However many Death Eaters were unaccounted for at the end of the war and the family Harry's built for himself is threatened by them when they try to extract revenge. What lengths will Harry go to in order to protect his family?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Wanted: Dead or Alive Challenge 2012-3, Wanted: Dead Or Alive Challenge (2012-3)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2012.08.15
Updated: 2012.08.15


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Support
Chapter 2: Chapter 2: Threat
Chapter 3: Chapter 3: Plans


Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Support

Author's Notes: While I'm a huge fan of many authors on this brilliant site, this is the first time I have posted a story on here. Please review to let me know what you think, and if anyone is interested in working with me as a beta reader for my stories please message me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.


Ginny heard the front door slam from up in the nursery where she was gently patting her godson Teddy Lupin to sleep.  Teddy’s deep even breathing confirmed he had finally drifted off and Ginny slipped out carefully closing his door and made her way downstairs contemplating what could have Harry so upset or broody.  She peaked into the living room as she passed and saw Harry sitting on the sofa, hunched over with his head in his hands and elbows resting on his knees.  His messy black hair stuck out in all directions and she realized that something major was bothering him.  She continued passed the door into the kitchen and placed warming charms on their dinner.  Grabbing a few bottles of Corona from the fridge, she made her way back to Harry .  The extras were placed on the coffee table and after popping the lid off one she held it out to Harry and gently nudged him in the arm with it.  Without lifting his head he took the beer with one hand and softly spoke, “Thank you, luv."

Ginny knelt on the sofa behind him and began to massage his shoulders.  They remained silent for a while. Ginny was worried but patient enough to know Harry would talk to her when he was ready. He relaxed into Ginny’s touch allowing her to soothe him in the way only she could. Once he felt that his muscles had been turned to mush, Harry lifted his head and turned it to gently kiss her lips.  It was tender and gentle and held none of the passion that most of their kisses did, and as he pulled back he let out a sigh as a small smile graced his lips.  “I love you so much Gin, I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“That’s not something you’re ever going to have to find out about, Harry,” she responded while gently cupping his face with her hands. “I love you more than anything and you’re stuck with me forever.”

Harry smirked and leaned in to kiss her again.  “I can think of worse things,” he whispered against her lips.  Wrapping an arm around her waist he lifted her around so she was straddling him and kissed her deeply.  When Ginny moaned into his mouth he slowly ended the kiss and rested his forehead against hers.  They sat like that, arms wrapped around each other drawing strength from the other for several moments before Ginny twisted around and reached for one of the Coronas she had placed on the table earlier.  She turned sideways on his lap and rested her back against the arm of the sofa and took a long pull from her beer.  Harry idly toyed with the rings on Ginny’s left hand and took a sip from his beer.  “So Mrs. Potter, how was your day?  Are you feeling any better, luv?”

Ginny chuckled and gently shook her head.  “I’m fine Harry.  I went to St. Mungo's earlier though and the healer ran some tests.  We’ll find out the results in the next couple days.” Ginny took another sip and then a hundred watt smile graced her face as she chuckled. “Merlin, Teddy was a handful at St. Mungo's. I don’t think his hair stopped cycling colours the entire time we were there.  Everything he saw he wanted and when he couldn’t reach something he summoned it.”

Harry began laughing, “Oh no, future marauder and trouble-maker extraordinaire already.  What did the healer do?”

“Oh she was at her wits end.  Things were flying all over the room and she’d reach for something only to realize it was gone, or she’d find herself in between Teddy and an object he summoned and got hit with it.  I was biting my lip to keep from laughing, but honestly honey it was hysterical. Any way, I think she just wanted us gone and that’s why she decided to mail the results to me instead of having us wait around.  The best part was when Teddy smelt a chocolate bar in the healer’s robe, summoned it and was sucking on it before the healer even knew it was missing.”

By this point both were laughing so hard they were shaking and Harry was wiping tears from his eyes.  “Merlin, of all traits to inherit from Tonks and Moony, he had to get Remus’ addiction to chocolate!”

They eventually calmed down and sipped their drinks while Ginny ran her hand through Harry’s hair and he gently caressed her lower back and hip.  Ginny took a deep breath and broke the silence, “So baby, are you ready to tell me what’s troubling you?”

Silence greeted her question for a few minutes until Harry took a breath and responded.  “Ginny-luv…I don’t think I want to be an Auror any more.”

Ginny’s body gave no reaction to what he had just said.  She calmly took another sip and waited for him to elaborate.  Pushing Harry was never a solution to get answers.  He only spoke when he was ready and never responded well to interrogations.  Hermione had subjected him to some doozies in the past and Ginny had found that patience and gentle prodding at appropriate moments were usually the best course of action with Harry.  They didn’t have any secrets from each other and after they got together at the end of the war, they had vowed to always deal with everything together.

Ginny’s patience paid off when Harry began talking again.  “I always wanted to be an Auror.  After the war, when Kingsley offered me the job and said he’d by-pass my lack of education considering the practical work I’d done, I thought it was a dream come true.”  Harry leaned forward and opened another beer.  He took a long pull before continuing.  “I’m tired of fighting.  I fought constantly in the war and although I feel like I should be helping people, I just don’t want to anymore.  I’m tired Gin.”  He absently toyed with his bottle of beer and gently nuzzled his wife’s chest pausing to see if she was going to respond.  When she didn’t, he continued.  “I thought that the ministry would be better after the war.  In some ways it is, but in other ways it’s the same.  Justice isn’t being served.  Today Lucius Malfoy was heavily fined and given community service specifically helping with the rebuilding efforts. After everything he did, he got off again.  I agreed with Narcissa’s acquittal, she wasn’t a death eater and she helped me. I even agreed with Draco’s punishment.  I don’t like him, I don’t think he’s a good person, but his crimes didn’t warrant an Azkaban sentence.  Lucius however did, and for him to receive the same sentence as Draco is preposterous,” Harry spat out between gritted teeth.  Ginny rubbed his back and continued to offer him her silent support.  "They’re letting people get away with their crimes.  People are forgetting, Gin.  The war hasn’t even been over for a year and people are already forgetting and the same mistakes they made last time are happening again. History is repeating itself.  I don’t want to be part of that.”

“Harry, I’ll support you in anything you want to do.  If you don’t want to be an Auror then quit.  I love you so much and I want you to be happy.  You deserve to be happy luv.  If you want to take some time off and decide what you want to do that’s fine.  We don’t need the money.  You can take as much time as you need.”  Ginny gently brought his face up to hers and softly kissed him.  “I love you Harry James Potter, and whatever you decide will be right for you.  You have my unconditional support luv.”

A smile graced his face and Harry nuzzled her cheek.  “Do you mean that Gin?  No matter what I decide?”

Ginny smiled back at him, “No matter what you decide Harry.  I love you.”  She kissed him again and then stroked his face.  “To be honest I’ve never been all that crazy about you being an Auror.”

Harry jerked his head to look her in the eyes as she continued.  “I know that you are more than capable baby, but that doesn’t stop me from worrying.  All of my fears and worrying about you during the war don’t just disappear overnight.  I know that’s what you always wanted to do though, so I supported you and just prayed you’d be okay.”

“Why didn’t you tell me how much my job affected you Gin?  I don’t want you to worry.  I want to make your life better not worse,” Harry replied as his head and shoulders slumped.

Ginny reached down and lifted his chin till she could see his beautiful emerald eyes, “Harry, when Kingsley made the offer you were really excited about it.  It was important to you and at the time it was what you wanted.  I wanted to support you.  I want to support anything that makes you happy.  Do you have any idea how happy you make me Harry?  I love you so much and don’t want to spend a moment without you.  Last year I found out what life without you is like and it was Hell.  You don’t make my life worse…you make it worth living.”  Ginny leaned over and kissed him passionately causing Harry to groan into her mouth. She worked her way down his jaw and over to his ear where she gently took his earlobe into her mouth. “I love you Harry.  You’re my other half and you make me whole,” she whispered sending shivers down his spine.  She leaned back and lovingly stroked his face.  “You supported me Harry.  You supported me against my mother and stood by me.  You didn’t try to change my mind or influence my decisions, you just supported me.  The best decision I made was marrying you, luv.  I’m glad we didn’t wait.  Once I turned seventeen it was my decision anyway, but I know Mum hasn’t made it very easy on you since you stood by me and told her we were getting married after I came of age whether she liked it or not.  Or when I decided not to go back to Hogwarts for my seventh year, Mum ranted, raved and demanded I attend while you supported my decision and helped find me tutors so I could take my Newts without attending Hogwarts.”

“Gin, baby I understand why you didn’t want to go back.  Last year was awful and after the battle, all of our friends and family that died…”  Harry broke off and took a deep breath before continuing, “I couldn’t go back there and walk those halls after everything we’ve seen and I certainly didn’t expect you too if you didn’t want to. Fred died there and the memories of everything you had to endure under the death eaters running the school would have been too much for anyone to endure.  I completely understand why you didn’t want to go back.  Plus selfishly I wanted to marry you and have you with me this year.  It was so hard being apart and I really felt like we needed to be together.”

“Oh Harry, I needed to be with you too.  I wish Mum would understand, but if she never forgives us then that’s her problem.  It’s our lives and we’ll make our own decisions and deal with things as we see fit.” Harry pulled her to him and kissed her cheek while he hugged her.  He pulled back and drained his beer while the two sat together contently. “So how did everyone else at the Auror office react to Malfoy’s sentence?”

Harry snorted, “Well as you can imagine, Seamus and Neville hit the roof.  I don't know if either are going to stay. I don't think they're very happy there either. We've all changed so much. As for the sentencing, nobody is happy but most are resigned to seeing more and more prisoners receive similar sentences.  Kingsley of course wanted to nip it in the bud and doesn’t want anyone taking the law into their own hands.  He is especially trying to keep a lid on that law that was just discovered last week. You know the one they passed offering a thousand galleons for capturing and turning in any escaped Azkaban prisoners, dead or alive. It was created for Sirius and then forgotten about, but it’s still technically valid and will be until Kingsley can get it overturned. If the courts continue to hand out sentences like Malfoy’s and the public finds out about the law he’ll have his hands full of vigilantes, especially when so many of the escapees are still unaccounted for.”

Ginny whistled and stared wide-eyed at Harry.  “Merlin Harry, he has a right to be concerned.  That’s a lot of money and people are angry enough as it is that it wouldn’t take much to send them over the edge.”

Harry sighed, “Ya I know.  I’ve been thinking about it a lot this past week since the law was discovered.  I mean think about how the war might have been if we had taken a stronger stance.  We recaptured the same death eaters throughout the entire war because Tom kept releasing them.  We couldn’t hold them.  What would have happened if we had taken them out?  I mean they made their decisions Gin.  They tortured and murdered people for fun.  It wasn’t just Tom, his followers enjoyed it.  They were trying to kill us and we threw stunners.  We captured them and our people died.  My views have changed Ginny.  I don’t believe in looking for trouble or killing for no reason, but if someone’s trying to kill me or those I love then I don’t think I would even think twice about using lethal force.  It’s a matter of self-defence.”

“I agree with you Harry.  I don’t think I could ever use an unforgivable, but if you, Teddy or I were in danger I’d have no problem firing a reducto to someone’s head.”

Harry chuckled at that, “I love you Gin.”

“I love you to Harry,” Ginny replied as she leaned in to kiss him deeply.

Harry’s stomach growled loudly and Ginny laughed as she leaped off of his lap and sauntered towards the kitchen. “Come on luv, dinner is ready.”

Harry quickly washed up and joined her at the table.  The conversation was light and playful after the serious discussion they had just had.  Just as they were finishing dinner a brown barn owl flew through the window and landed lightly in front of Ginny.  She gently untied the envelope and offered the owl some water before it flew away.

"Who's it from baby?" Harry asked as he began to clear and wash the dishes.

"It's from St. Mungo's," Ginny replied absently as she opened the envelope and began to read the letter.

Harry came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist while he kissed the top of her head, offering any comfort he could provide. After a few moments Ginny still hadn't said anything and Harry's anxiety began to build. He swallowed painfully and tried to keep his voice calm. "What is it luv?"

Ginny's response was little more than a whisper, "I'm pregnant." As she turned around in his arms her smile grew until she beamed at him brightly. "I'm pregnant. We're having a baby!"

The smile that lit up Harry's face matched hers as he grabbed her fiercely and swung her around. "We're having a baby?" he questioned in wonder. "I'm going to be a dad." He leaned in quick and kissed her hard. "I'm going to be a dad! Woohoo!" He then began plastering her face in kisses as she laughed at his exuberance. "I…love…you…so…much…Gin…thank…you." Harry dropped to his knees and carefully lifted up the front of her shirt so he could place his hand on her belly and rubbed it gently. "Hey baby Potter, your mummy and I are so excited about you and can't wait till we get to hold you. I love you so much." He leaned in and kissed her stomach as Ginny ran her hands through his hair to hold him there. When he pulled back he stood up swiftly and picked his wife up bridal style carrying her up the stairs to their bedroom where he placed her on the bed and firmly closed the door before joining her.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2: Threat

Author's Notes: Well the story's moving along pretty good. With any luck I'll make it before the contest deadline, however if I don't I'll still finish it off. It's been a lot of fun to write so far. Please read and review. As a new author critiques are greatly appreciated.


The next morning Harry woke up and found Ginny curled up against him. Her head rested over his heart, her arm across his chest and their legs tangled together. Harry smiled. He loved waking up every morning with Ginny. Together they could do anything. He reached down and caressed her stomach thinking about their baby. He heard Teddy's happy gurgles coming through the monitor and realized his godson had probably woken him. He kissed Ginny on top of her head and carefully worked his way out of the bed. Ginny mumbled in her sleep, but cuddled down as he re-arranged the comforter around her and softly stroked her fiery tresses off her face. Harry threw on a pair of jeans and walked down the hall to his godson's room. "Good morning Teddy," Harry said as he smiled brightly at the baby and leaned over the crib to pick him up.

Teddy smiled and squealed at Harry while his hair rapidly changed from turquoise to black. He settled contently in his godfather's arms as Harry carried him down to the kitchen. He put the kettle on and warmed up Teddy's bottle. After pouring a bowl of cereal and cup of tea he took his breakfast and Teddy's bottle to the sofa and began to feed Teddy his bottle. Teddy tried to help hold it himself and Harry chuckled at his godson warmly as he sipped his tea. After breakfast Harry put a fresh banishing diaper on Teddy and got him dressed. Harry and Teddy were playing aeroplane when Ginny came in and started laughing when she saw them. Smiling she walked over to her boys and gave them each a kiss before heading to the kitchen for a cup of tea.

Harry placed Teddy in his playpen with his wolf stuffy and toy snitch before heading up stairs to get dressed for work. A few minutes later he was back downstairs and kissing Ginny good morning. "Can I make you anything to eat Harry before you go?"

"No thanks baby, I had some cereal already."

"Did you decide what you're going to do?" she asked quietly as she drew circles on his chest.

Harry smiled lovingly at her and pulled her closer into his embrace. "Yep. Knowing how you feel and with the baby on the way there's really only one course of action. I don't want to be an Auror anymore and I don't want you and our family to worry or be in danger. I'm going to hand in my resignation to Kingsley and Gawain Robards today. Then I'm going to come home spend some time with my beautiful wife and wonderful godson. I love you baby."

Ginny squealed and hugged him fiercely before claiming his lips in a searing kiss. "Oh Harry, I'm so happy! Thank you! I love you so much and I can't wait till get home." Harry sported a dazed look on his face as Ginny pulled back from another passionate kiss. "Go luv, the sooner you resign the sooner you can come home to us."

Harry chuckled. "That's all the incentive I need. I'll be home as soon as I can Gin." After one more quick kiss Harry walked over to Teddy ruffled his hair and kissed him good bye before flooing to the ministry.

Harry tripped out of the floo, but managed to catch himself at the last second. "Ruddy floo," he murmured as he made his way towards the Auror offices.

"Harry-mate, what has you in such a good mood?" Seamus questioned with a cocked eyebrow.

"Two-right Seamus, I don't believe we've seen Harry smile like that since his wedding. Something you'd like to share with us mate?" Neville added while lightly chuckling.

Harry's smile threatened to burst from his face. "Well, you already know I have the love of a good woman, so I guess the only thing I have to add is that I'm resigning from the Auror office. I'm not happy here. I've changed and this isn't what I want anymore."

Shocked silence met his announcement and it was several minutes before Neville responded. "Good for you Harry. I've been thinking about it a lot myself, but haven't decided yet."

"Me too," Seamus quietly added. "You're right we have changed. It isn't what I expected or maybe I just expected to like it more." Neville nodded in agreement. "Any idea what you're going to do Harry?" Seamus continued.

"No, I have lots of ideas but nothing concrete. I think I'm going to take some time off and spend it with Gin and Teddy. Andi will be back soon, but Gin and I want to be there and help her with Teddy as much as possible. It's been great having him while she got away for a bit so maybe all of us will do some travelling together when she gets back. Anyway, I should go and tell Gawain and then let Kingsley know. Gin's waiting on me." Harry's smile lit up again when he mentioned his wife. "We'll have you guys over for dinner soon, take care."

Seamus and Neville took turns slapping him on the back and wishing him luck as he headed for the Head-Auror office. Harry knocked on the door and entered when Gawain gave him the okay.

"Morning Potter, what can I do for you?" Gawain asked brusquely.

"Well Gawain, I'm here to turn in my resignation. This isn't what I want to do anymore."

Robard's mouth dropped open and a pregnant silence filled the air before he composed himself. "Very well Potter. I'd hate to lose you, but if that's your decision then I'm not going to try to change your mind. Good luck," Gawain stated before promptly returning to the paper work on his desk effectively dismissing Harry.

Harry left the office and headed up to the Minister's office only to be told Kingsley was in a meeting that would last all morning. Not wanting to wait around, Harry sealed his resignation letter and explanation and handed it to the secretary to deliver when the meeting ended. That done, Harry decided to swing by Quality Quidditch Supplies on his way home and pick himself up a new broom since he had never replaced his firebolt from the war. With all the extra free time he was going to have, a broom would be a worthwhile purchase and he couldn't wait to take Teddy for his first broom ride. Grinning ear to ear he made his way to the apparation point and disappeared with a soft pop.

********************************

After Harry left for the Ministry, Ginny tidied up the kitchen and started a load of laundry. Checking on Teddy and seeing that he had drifted off to sleep, she decided to have a quick shower and dress for the day. Not knowing how long Harry would be she decided to put Teddy in the snuggly and head out into the back yard to work in their garden. A few minutes later their front door exploded in a shower of splintered wood caused by an extremely powerful reducto curse. Ginny's head snapped up at the sound and she saw people streaming into her home. She quickly cast a disillusion spell on herself and Teddy and then a silencing spell on Teddy and her feet. Her heart was pounding in her chest, but after her last year at Hogwarts those spells were second nature and one of her main survival tactics. Inside her home was being destroyed as they searched for her and while she normally would have started an offensive attack, Ginny knew she couldn't while she had Teddy with her and she was greatly out numbered to boot. Ginny took a few deep breaths to control her nerves and then tried to figure out the best way to get help. Harry would be here soon and she didn't want him coming into this alone or unprepared. He wouldn't know where she or Teddy were and that would make him reckless. Finally deciding what to do, Ginny looked to see if anyone was looking her way and then silently sent a message to Harry with her patronus. Unfortunately someone from the upper floor saw the ghostly image and spells immediately began raining down in her vicinity. Ginny threw up a shield and tried to move away without giving up her position. Having Teddy strapped to her limited her movement and ability to duck and dodge spells. Trying to remain invisible was their only chance, but that was proving nearly impossible with the amount of spells being thrown her way. Her shield collapsed for the third time only she was unable to get it back up before being clipped by a diffindo curse that grazed her left arm, leaving a gash from her elbow to shoulder. She cried out and blood started to drip heavily from the fresh wound. At that point the disillusionment spell gave out and Ginny found herself visible and surrounded in a semi-circle of death eaters.

"My, what a pretty little wife Potter managed to land himself. We're going to have some fun, Pretty, and send a message to your half-blood husband." The death eaters laughed insanely and the silencing charm on Teddy wore off allowing his cries to join their laughter.

A purple spell was sent her way only to be stopped by her quickly erected shield. Again she was bombarded with spells until her shield broke from a reducto curse that shattered her right knee causing her to scream out again and fall to her side striking her right temple against the ground. She gripped her wand firmly and fought to remain conscious while her head swam with pain.

"We'll have our revenge for our Lord. Potter will be made to suffer, to lose everything he holds dear to him just as we have. We the Dark Lord's most faithful and devoted are going to destroy him." Maniacal laughter greeted his announcement and a crucio was thrown towards her and the infant.

Ginny wrapped her arms around Teddy to cover him the best she could and closed her eyes, bracing herself for the pain that was sure to come. She couldn't move and there was nothing to summon quick enough to intercept the spell. She only prayed it wouldn't hurt her baby.

**********************************

Harry had just finished paying for the two new firebolts he had decided to buy for him and Gin when a horse patronus appeared in front of him and Ginny's voice became audible. "Harry, Teddy and I are in the back yard, safe and hiding, but you need to alert the Aurors and get home because we're under attack by death eaters and completely outnumbered. Hurry Harry, I love you."

Panic began to consume him as he heard her message. Ginny and Teddy were in trouble. They needed him. He quickly sent off patronus messages to Neville, Seamus, Robards, and Kingsley then disillusioned himself and apparated straight to their back yard. His heart nearly stopped at the sight that met him when he appeared. His wife visible and bloodied laying on the ground and trying to protect Teddy while a crucio was fired at her. Harry immediately conjured a wall to take the spell which exploded on impact and sent debris bouncing off his young family. Before the Death Eaters had time to react Harry went on the offensive and began hurling lethal spells with deadly accuracy. Within moments spells were being flung at the death eaters from the house too as the Aurors began to arrive. Noticing they were out numbered the death eaters quickly apparated away leaving the two Harry murdered and one injured behind.

Harry ran over to his wife and collapsed on the ground beside her. "Ginny!" he cried. "Oh baby it's going to be okay, I'm here luv," tears poured down Harry's face as he stroked her cheek and then removed Teddy from his wife's arms.

Ginny looked at her husband, a brief smile gracing her face before promptly passing out.

Neville ran over with an emergency portkey for St. Mungo's and handed it to Harry. "Go mate, we'll take care of everything here."

Harry nodded, held Teddy tightly and grabbed Ginny before activating the portkey.

When they arrived in St. Mungo's Harry instantly began yelling for help. Two healers and an assistant answered his call and they were rushed into an examination room. Teddy continued to scream and Harry tired to soothe him while checking him for injuries. When none were found he continued to comfort his godson while looking worriedly over at his wife. Even though she unconscious her wand was still tightly clasped in right hand. He stroked her face while the healers began healing her injuries and shoved potions down her throat.

"I'm Healer Gray. Are you a relation to the young lady?"

"She's my wife." Harry choked out his eyes brimming with tears. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She's quite a mess, but she'll be fine in a few days. How did this happen?"

"Death Eaters attacked our home looking for revenge. How about the baby is it okay too?" Harry quietly asked half afraid of the answer. He had no idea what Ginny had been hit with before he arrived and the thought of anything happening to his child caused bile to rise up in his throat.

Healer Gray's eyes widened and he quickly scanned Ginny's stomach. After a few moments he turned back to Harry, "Your baby is fine. It seems healthy and strong," he said with a smile.

Harry let out the breath he hadn't realized he was holding and sank onto the bed beside his wife. Teddy was sleeping contently against his shoulder, soft sniffles punctuating the air. Harry placed his arm behind her head and gently cuddled her to his chest as he cried in relief.

The assistant Healer walked over to him after a few moments with a clipboard full of forms. "Sir, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I really need you to fill out these forms for your wife."

Harry took a deep shuddering breath, kissed his wife and then turned to the young woman, "Of course, just let me get my godson settled." Harry got up and conjured a play pen, adding a couple of cushioning charms and then carefully placed Teddy in it without waking him. With that done he pulled a seat over to his wife's bed and sat down ready to fill out the forms. Once he was finished he handed them back to the assistant and she left the room. Harry held Ginny's hand and gently coaxed her into releasing her wand. He placed it on the side table and softly poured his heart out to her.

Ten minutes later Healer Gray re-entered the room. "Your wife's knee cap is shattered Mr. Potter, so we're going to give her skele-grow. She's going to be in rough shape till tomorrow morning and will probably feel pretty tender for about a week."

"I understand Healer Gray. I'm not going anywhere."

**********************************

Later that evening, Harry was awakened from his nap by a knocking at the door. As he sat up, the door opened and in walked Neville and Seamus. "How's she doing Harry?" Neville asked.

"She's going to be alright. They healed the cut on her arm right away and gave her a couple blood replenishing potions. She's got a shattered knee cap which she's re-growing right now with skele-grow and a slight concussion from when her temple hit the ground when she fell. The Healer said she'll be mostly healed by tomorrow, but tender for the next week. Thanks for getting there so quickly, I couldn't have protected her for much longer. We were so outnumbered."

"No problem Harry," said Seamus. "Any time, and I mean that. Just ask and we'll be there."

"Thanks Seamus." Harry looked down at Ginny and lovingly caressed her belly. "I almost lost my family today. They could have killed her or Teddy or our baby." Their breaths hitched at the mention of a baby and Harry glanced at them with a tortured look on his face. "We only found out about the baby last night." Harry glanced down and continued to caress his wife's stomach. "They went after my family," he gritted out through clenched teeth, anger replacing his anguish. "The bloody war is over, we're supposed to be safe!"

Silence descended the room for a few moments before Harry turned and conjured a couple chairs for them, silently offering for them to join him. Once they were seated Harry softly spoke, "So who's going to fill me in?"

The two young men looked at each other and Neville began to speak, "We found two dead death eaters and one seriously injured. A good chunk of the house was destroyed, but we've managed to repair most of it. With any luck they'll be finished by tonight. Kingsley is going spare and has over-ruled any Aurors from using the valid Dead or Alive law. He hasn't managed to overturn it, but since he's the Minister and the Aurors work for the Ministry he can limit our power."

"Bloody dragon dung is what it is!" shouted Seamus.

"Getting upset isn't going to change it Seamus," Neville reminded him. "Besides it's not like we have to worry about it anymore," he added with a smirk.

Harry looked on confusedly while a feral grin spread across his mates' faces. "What do you mean guys?"

"We no longer work for the ministry, Harry."

"Yep, turned in our resignation as soon as we got back to the office. Neither of us was happy there and we figured you were going to need our help."

Chuckling Seamus shook his head at the expression on Harry's face. "Harry-mate we both saw the look in your eyes when we showed up. They threatened your family."

"We know what you're going to do Harry, but you're going to need help. We're your mates. We love you and Gin and we want in on whatever you're planning."

"Nicely said Neville," Seamus said while cocking an eyebrow at Harry. "Well, what do you say mate?"

Harry looked from one to other and then glanced at his wife and godson. Turning back to face his mates his face held a calm relaxed expression. "Thanks guys. Let's meet tomorrow night. Gin will want to be part of it. I'll key you into the wards so you can floo in. I'll be putting our place on lockdown before I bring my family back there."

"You got it Harry. See you tomorrow." Neville and Seamus both stood, vanished their chairs and took their leave. Tomorrow would be the start of something big.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3: Plans

Author's Notes: I'm writing as fast as I can and I'm trying to make the deadline. Fingers crossed, wish me luck, and please review :)


Ginny awoke the next morning to discover Harry sleeping in a chair and slumped over with his head on her stomach. She ached all over, but was happy to see that he looked okay. His tall wiry frame looked uncomfortable hunched over, his glasses were askew and frown lines creased his forehead showing how concerned he was for her. Her night had been restless and painful as her knee cap reformed and the muscles and nerves slowly unravelled. She noticed a glass of water sitting on her night stand and took a few small sips moistening her dry lips and parched throat. A gurgle caused her to look over and see Teddy staring at her through his play pen. "Morning Teddy. Were you a good boy for Harry last night?" she softly asked him. A chuckle near her stomach diverted her attention back to her handsome husband. "Morning luv, what's so funny?"

"He had quite the scare yesterday and was restless most of the night. He really only quieted down when I held him. I think he needed the reassurance that everything was alright. I spent most of the night holding him and staring at you. Trying to memorize every detail; your beautiful fiery red hair, warm chocolate brown eyes, every tiny freckle, your long silky smooth legs that go on forever, an arse I could never get tired of watching from the back of a broomstick and two perfect breasts that…"

"Harry!" she exclaimed awash with embarrassment.

"You're an angel, Gin. My angel, and I almost lost you." Harry cupped her hand in both of his and gently brought it up to his mouth where he caressed it with his lips. "You were brilliant, luv. Absolutely brilliant. Teddy's fine because of how well you protected him." Harry lowered her hand back to the bed and placed his hand lovingly over her stomach. "Our baby's okay too," he told her quietly.

A choked sob broke through her lips as she sagged in relief. "Merlin Harry I was so worried, but I was too scared to ask." Her body started to shake from the all of the pent-up emotions she had been feeling since the attack first began, and Harry rocked her gently in his arms trying to soothe her chaotic nerves. Ginny gained control of herself fairly quickly and within moments she was quiet and content snuggled in her husband's arms where she felt safest.

"Are you in a lot of pain, baby? I can have the healer give you a pain potion."

"A little, but it's bearable at the moment. Will you bring me Teddy please?"

"Of course, luv." Harry leapt off the bed and scooped Teddy up into his arms. "Here ya go trouble, let's sit with Gin."

Ginny cuddled him close to her and examined his heart shaped face, rapidly changing hair that was settling on red and all of his visible limbs.

"He really is okay, Gin. I promise, he didn't get a scratch on him." Ginny nodded her head to acknowledge his statement, but her eyes remained fixed on her adorable godson cuddled in her arms. "I'm going to go get Healer Gray, baby. I'll be right back."

"Okay, luv" Ginny said before lifting up Teddy's shirt and blowing a loud raspberry on his stomach, igniting Teddy's squeals.

Harry shook his head and chuckled as he left the room. His family was safe for now. He just had to make sure they stayed that way.

************************************

Harry returned with Healer Gray in tow about ten minutes later. He took Teddy from Gin so the Healer could examine her and quickly sent off two patronuses causing her to quirk an eyebrow in his direction. Harry smiled and winked at her so turned back to the healer and promptly swallowed the pain potion he was pushing on her. After explaining how to use the crutches she now found herself saddled with for the next five days, Healer Gray left saying her discharge papers would be ready by noon. Just as he was leaving, Neville and Seamus bounced through the door and strode over to her taking turns to engulf her in hugs.

"Merlin, Ginny! You nearly gave me a heart attack seeing you like that yesterday," Neville's arms squeezed her tight, his relief evident.

"Oi Neville! Enough of that! No hogging the pretty lass!" Seamus smiled widely at her before wrapping her in his arms. "It's good to see you're fairing better, luv. Don't know what that poor bloke you've married would do and anything ever happened to ya."

Ginny smiled brightly at them both and swiped away a lone tear that trickled down her cheek. "You both came to help yesterday?"

"Aye lass. Harry asked, so we were there. There's no where else we would have been."

"Thanks Seamus."

Neville rolled his eyes, "You and Harry are my best friends. There's nothing I wouldn't do for either of you."

Ginny's watery smile turned to him, "Love you too Neville. It goes both ways," she said softly.

Harry cleared his throat in the awkward silence that descended upon the room. "Well Gin, the guys are going to stay here with you and visit while I take care of a few things. I'll be back by noon to pick you up and we'll all head back to the house. The three of us have some things to fill you in on."

"Okay sweetie. Are you going to leave Teddy here with us or take him with you?"

"Although it would be better to leave him here, I need to have him with me. We shouldn't be too long. Is there anything special you'd like for dinner tonight?"

"Shepherd's pie?"

Harry chuckled, "Shepherd's pie it is, Gin. Whatever you want." He leaned down and gave her a quick kiss and then brought Teddy down to her so she could do the same. He looked over at his mates, "Thanks guys, I'll be back soon."

****************************************

Harry apparated to the gates of Hogwarts and sent his patronus to Professor Flitwick. Five minutes later Filius joined him at the gate wearing his travelling cloak and greeted Harry enthusiastically.

"Sir, I hate to trouble you, but I need a Fidelius charm placed on my home and you're the only one I trust to cast it properly. Would you mind coming with me now and helping me."

"Of course Mr Potter, but why now? The war is over."

"My family was attacked yesterday sir. While the war may be over there are still many Death Eaters unaccounted for and I will not risk my family for some psychos' plans to gain petty revenge. I will protect my family by any means necessary and at all costs."

"Merlin, was anyone hurt."

"Ginny was, but she'll be okay. She's being released from the hospital at noon which is why I was hoping the charm could be performed before then."

"Lead the way, Mr. Potter."

With two soft pops they disappeared form Hogwarts and reappeared in Godric's Hollow.

"I assume you're going to be your own secret keeper, is that right Mr. Potter?"

"Yes sir, I brought Teddy with me because he'll need to know, but I wasn't sure how I'd tell him if he wasn't part of the original casting."

"Good thinking Mr. Potter. Let's begin."

****************************************

At 11:45 Harry hurried back into his wife's room with a sleeping Teddy in his arms only to find her playing poker with Neville and Seamus and by the looks of it, cleaning house. He stood in the doorway staring at the scene and chuckled amusedly before interrupting them. "Are you ready to go, luv or should I come back later and give you a chance to completely clean them out?"

Seamus' dumbfounded expression said it best. "Blimey Harry, she's a bleedin' sharp! Haven't seen anything like this since Fred and George were at school and I don't reckon they could even take her."

Laughing uproariously Ginny gathered up her winning and reached for her crutches. "Come on slow coaches, I want out of here and Harry's back to spring me. If you're good Seamus I might show you a couple tricks later on."

As they approached the door Harry stepped inside and sealed the door. "Before we leave the room I need the three of you to read and memorize this," he said as he held the paper up for Ginny to read before handing it to Neville. Once Seamus had seen it too Harry burned the paper and unsealed the door. "Think about what you read as you floo. See you there." Harry cast a quick silencing ward around the floo and threw in some powder, "Number 6 Potter Lane."

A few minutes later all of them were settling themselves in the living room while Harry took Teddy up to bed and Ginny sent Seamus in to the kitchen for drinks.

"Hey Gin-Gin, what's with all the Corona? What is it?" Seamus asked from the kitchen.

"It's a muggle beer. Harry and I tried it on our honeymoon in Mexico and we both really like it. It's quite common in North America, but not so much here in England. We get it ordered in for us. Feel free to try it, but if you'd rather have Guinness there should be a case in the cold cupboard to the left of the fridge."

Harry joined Seamus in the kitchen a moment later and began quickly making a platter of sandwiches and opened a couple bags of crisps. Once everyone was comfortable and started to eat, Harry gained their attention. "Ginny, Seamus and Neville came to see me last night at the hospital. Kingsley has over-ruled any Aurors from using the valid Dead or Alive law. He hasn't managed to overturn it, but since he's the Minister and the Aurors work for the Ministry he can limit their power. Seamus and Neville both turn in their resignation and want to help us."

Ginny looked at both of their friends in turn before focusing on her husband. "Help us with what Harry?"

Harry quickly stood up and began pacing. "The war is supposed to be over Gin. It's supposed to be safe. I almost lost you yesterday…I almost lost my family from sick psychotic criminals that are determined to take you away from me. They are determined to make me pay for destroying Tom. I WON"T let that happen Ginny! We deserve to be safe and happy. I refuse to live in fear and I won't have you, Teddy, or our children placed in danger because people are hell-bent in destroying me. I will protect us by ANY means necessary. I'm going to hunt them down and do what the ministry refuses to do…take them out permanently."

"Harry, you are no longer talking about self-defence."

"It is defence, baby! They are threatening us and I'll do what I must to make us safe and defend our family."

Ginny stared deeply into his eyes. Brown meeting emerald, losing themselves in the other, reading their very souls. "You're right Harry. What do we need to do?"

Harry smiled and walked over to her hugging her closely before returning her to the sofa. "It will be okay Gin. As long as I've got you we'll be fine."

Ginny kissed him softly, "I won't stay behind Harry."

"I'm not asking you to. I promised I'd never leave you behind again. We'll do this together."

After a few moments Seamus cleared his throat and pulled a piece of parchment from his coat. "This is a list of all the unaccounted for Death Eaters, forty-two in total plus the two you killed yesterday which I've already crossed off the list."

"Seamus and I were discussing it last night and we thought it would be prudent to have Harry, Seamus and I work on tracking and gathering intel on them this week while Ginny's laid up. We can meet every evening, share information and collaborate together on how we're going to handle it."

"That sounds good. I hate being laid up, we still have Teddy with us until Andi gets back on Friday and I can spend the time researching things on my end and ordering supplies we're going to need."

Neville fidgeted nervously a moment before looking at Harry and broaching the subject that had been on his and Seamus' mind. "Harry, are you going to bring Ron and Hermione in on this?"

Harry shook his head. "There's no point. Hermione is back at Hogwarts doing her seventh year and she would never approve of it anyway and I definitely don't feel like being lectured by her. I won't tell Ron because although he would want to help, he'd never keep it from Hermione and in the end he'd side with her. No, we'll always be close, but I'm not bringing them in on this."

"Okay Harry, we just wanted to know where you stood on that and what to expect. We both felt Hermione would be a handful."

"Harry, there's someone I would like you to consider bringing in on this. My brother would be a huge asset to us with the connections he and Fred made over the years. He has suppliers everywhere and has always been very skilled at gathering intel. Plus, he's very close to both of us and he would want to stand by us and do this."

"I agree, Gin. Do either of you have an issue if I bring George into this?" Harry asked while looking at Neville and Seamus.

"No, we're fine with that."

"Aye, sounds like grand idea."

Harry stood up and pulled on his coat. "Guess I'd better go invite him to the party."

************************************

Fifteen minutes later George floo'd over to the Potter home followed quickly by Harry.

"So, Gin-Gin, what's this I hear you guys are on a top secret mission and would like my help if you can manage to recruit me?" he asked playfully while waggling his eyebrows.

Harry headed into the kitchen to start preparing dinner leaving the others to explain the situation and bring George up to date.

"Good to see you George," Ginny said smiling widely at her brother. "We had a bit of trouble yesterday hence the house being placed under a Fidelius."

"Yeah, Harry mentioned something about that briefly and said that you were hurt. Are you okay now?"

"I'll be okay, George. I'm mostly healed but I'm stuck using these crutches for the next five days."

"Blimey Gin! What happened?"

"The house was attacked by Death Eaters yesterday. I was home alone with Teddy at the time although fortunately we were in the backyard. That bought me some time. I was hit in the arm by a cutting curse, my knee was shattered by a reducto and I had a slight concussion when my temple impacted the ground. I managed to get a message off to Harry first before they found me, and he alerted the Aurors before showing up to save the day before they had time to finish me and Teddy off."

George sat down heavily with his head in his hands. "Merlin I almost lost you yesterday, Gin. I've already lost Fred and I almost lost you too." He began rocking back and forth slowly, lost in his own nightmares with silent tears streaming down his cheeks. After a few minutes he took a fortifying breath, "I won't lose another member of family. What's the plan?"

"The plan Georgie-boy, is to spent this week researching and gathering intel on this list of forty-two unaccounted for Azkaban escapees, then acting on a secret, but legal law, putting them down for good. Each one we bring in dead or alive earns us 1000 galleons under this law. Harry took out three from the list yesterday. Two permanently and one injured, but alive, so they've been crossed out already and Harry is entitled to collect 3000 galleons so far," Seamus explained patiently.

"What is the plan for the money once we're done and we've collected?" George questioned.

"I actually have some thoughts on that."

"Go ahead, luv." Harry said as he walked back into the room and sat beside on the sofa.

"Well, there are so many orphans because of the war. Magical England has over 195 orphans currently with nowhere to go. If homes can't be found they'll be sent to muggle orphanages. This is something I feel really strongly about. I think the money earned through the law to go towards opening a magical orphanage for children across the UK. If Harry agrees we can personally match whatever we earn and through careful fundraising and additional donations, we could make it happen. We could help all of those children." When she stopped talking she saw all four men staring at her mouths hanging open in shock. "What? You don't like the idea?"

"It's bloody brilliant Gin! I love the idea and we can definitely personally match what we earn," Harry exclaimed and kissed her on the cheek.

"The House of Longbottom will also match what we earn. I love the idea Ginny."

"Weasley's Wizard Wheeze's will donate twenty-five percent of this year's profits to it too."

"Well lass, the only thing you've left to determine is a name. Personally I think 'Potter House' has a nice ring to it."

"Nice one Seamus, I think we should put it to a vote. All in favour of the name 'Potter House' say aye."

Three shouts of, "Aye!" rang in the room as Ginny and Harry looked at each other in shock.

Finally Harry began laughing, "Guess it's called 'Potter House' luv, great idea."

Ginny smirked and joined him in laughter, "Guess so."

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129603