The Gift of Love by Potterfan922



Summary: Ginny Weasley never thought Harry could ever have feelings for her. With Lily Potter’s help, Ginny learns that anything is possible if you’ve got enough nerve. And that is what makes all the difference.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe, Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3), Girl Talk Challenge (2010-3)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2010.06.16
Updated: 2010.06.27


Index

Chapter 1: Someone to Watch Over Me
Chapter 2: Anything's Possible if You've Got Enough Nerve
Chapter 3: The Gift of Love
Chapter 4: Epilogue


Chapter 1: Someone to Watch Over Me

Author's Notes: Here is my take on the SIYE Girltalk Challenge. Please read and review! I really take your comments to heart.

Please note, the line, "Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve," belongs to the Great JK Rowling.


Harry spotted her from across the Common Room. She was sitting on the sofa in front of the fire, leaning against Dean. Harry thought as he scowled, Bloody Dean Thomas! He just put his arm around her. That slick, slimy, did I mention, bloody git! If Fred and George were still at Hogwarts, I would certainly recommend Dean as their next test subject. What I wouldn’t give for a Puking Pastille right now! Wait! What is she doing? She is looking this way. Act natural. Breathe. Focus. I know, I’ll read the Marauders Map. That should work. Umm, let’s see… Malfoy is still in the Slytherin Common Room. He’s still with Crabbe and Goyle. Talk about bloody gits! Is it safe to look up at her yet? I’ll just take my chance and glance her way. What’s that? She squirmed out of Dean’s arms! That’s my girl! Umm, I mean… damn it! What do I mean? Wait, she’s walking this way! She’s looking straight at me! Did she notice I was staring at her? Bugger! Don’t break eye contact. Don’t say something stupid.


“Good night, Harry,” Ginny stated, looking straight into Harry’s eyes. She broke eye contact, turning towards the girls’ staircase.


“Good night, Gin,” Harry answered, dejectedly with a sigh. His longing gaze followed her as she ascended the steps.


****


Ginny plopped onto her four poster bed. To say that she was confused at the moment would be an understatement. Ginny thought, what the bloody hell was that? I mean, if I didn’t know any better, I would think that Harry was looking at me like he was interested. But Harry couldn’t possibly be interested in me. But the way he was looking at me… Damn it, Ginny! Don’t get your hopes up. The last time you got your hopes up, you had to deal with Cho Bloody Chang! Besides, you already have a boyfriend. What’s his name? Bugger! Dean Thomas. Why did I start dating Dean, anyway? Yes, I remember. I started to date him to get over Harry. He was the most un-Harry-ish boy in Gryffindor Tower that I could find. Now he is the most annoyingly chivalrous boy in Gryffindor Tower. If he opens another door for me or pulls out another chair, I swear I’ll give him a face full of Bat Bogeys!


She sighed dramatically, But what if Harry really is starting to notice me? Wasn’t that another reason why I started dating in the first place, to get Harry to notice me? But I could totally be misreading his intentions. I may have had something on my face. Bloody hell! That might be it! Arg! What should I do? I’m so confused!


Ginny looked upwards, shouting in exasperation, “If there is any divine intervention up there, I could really use some help!”

****

Lily Potter was a very hands-on mother. She always wanted to be involved in Harry’s life. When she was told that Voldemort would come after her infant son and all she could do was hide, she wouldn’t accept that. She wouldn’t rest until she found a way to keep Harry safe. And find a way she did. The cost was her life, but she knew it was worth it. She would do it all over again if it was needed. Even after her death, she would frequently look down on her son, yearning to be involved in his life. Many times it was utterly unbearable to witness the horrors and sufferings that her Harry went through in her sister’s household. She searched for a way to intervene, and finally found one. She learned from the others that had passed away that communication through dreams was an attainable skill. She tried to enter Harry’s dreams many times, but something dark always pushed her away. Much to her chagrin, she never had any luck entering Harry’s dreams during his childhood at Privet Drive.


She was never happier, though, when Harry went off to Hogwarts. She was so grateful that Harry now would have good people in his life: Hagrid, Ron, and Hermione. Someone else caught her eye that fateful day that Harry stepped onto Platform 9 ¾. There was a little girl there, not much younger than Harry. Lily got a warm feeling inside as she watched over that tiny, redheaded girl. She seemed so familiar, and Lily got the feeling that she was going to be an important part of Harry’s life. Call it motherly intuition.

Lily’s suspicions were confirmed the following year. While Harry stayed with the Weasleys, it was apparent to Lily that this little girl, whom she learned was named Ginny, had a huge crush on Harry. Lily sympathized with Ginny every time she did something clumsy in front of him. Potter males certainly have that effect on redheads. Later that year, it almost broke Lily’s heart when she discovered Ginny was being possessed by Riddle’s diary. Lily felt powerless, for she still could not find a way to enter Harry’s dreams to warn him that Ginny was opening the Chamber. Lily realized at the end of that school year just how important Ginny would be. When Harry saved her from that awful fate in the Chamber of Secrets, it was never clearer to Lily: Harry and Ginny must be soul mates.


Lily kept vigil over Harry and Ginny throughout the next few years. To say that she was frustrated would be an understatement. Poor Ginny was pining for Harry, while Harry was as thick as could be. He had no idea what was right in front of him the whole time. Granted, he had a lot on his mind, but he had no idea how much he was hurting Ginny by his indifference. Lily would discuss this situation with James frequently, trying to think of a way to help. He would say to her, “Give him time, Love. He’s your son. It took you until seventh year, Lils, to notice I wasn’t a complete prat.” Lily hoped Harry wouldn’t take that long.


So, the years passed, and still Lily couldn’t intervene with Harry, no matter how hard she tried. She witnessed Lord Voldemort rise again, and was determined to help Harry escape that graveyard. She spent a year disgusted with Dolores Umbridge, but was extremely proud of Harry when he started the DA. She thought during that year, maybe he would finally notice Ginny. But, oh no, his first crush was an older girl named Cho Chang, and Ginny had given up on him, resorting to date other boys. Lily really wondered when those two would finally get their act together. She knew just how important Ginny’s love would be in Harry’s life.


Finally, in Harry’s sixth year, she noticed a change in Harry. She rejoiced when she realized that Harry started to like Ginny romantically. Lily’s heart went out to Harry, though. Ginny was involved with another boy at the time. But it was obvious to Lily that Ginny still cared for Harry. She was positive that was the case one night in Ginny’s dormitory.


Ginny looked upwards, shouting in exasperation, “If there is any divine intervention up there, I could really use some help!”


That was all Lily needed to hear. She decided that it was time to intervene. She would try to reach Ginny this time, rather than Harry.


****


Ginny stirred on her four poster bed in the middle of the night. Her clothes were still on, and her bed covers were still made up. “That’s funny. I don’t remember falling asleep,” she muttered groggily. She was so wrapped up in thoughts of Harry last night that she never meant to fall asleep.


Ginny sat up, stretched, and yawned. Realizing she wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep at the moment, she decided to go to the Common Room. She grabbed her bag at the foot of her bed. Maybe if she read some of her History of Magic notes, she would be able to fall back to sleep and salvage the rest of her night.


Ginny walked gingerly down the staircase, not wanting to wake everyone up. As she reached the last step, she was surprised to see that another girl with long, dark red hair was sitting on the sofa, facing away from her. Ginny walked around to the chair nearest the girl.


Looking through her bag for her notes, Ginny stated, “I hope I’m not disturbing you. I couldn’t sleep as well. I thought some of Professor Binns’ notes might be a viable solution.” Ginny stated dryly, pulling out her parchment. Ginny looked up at the girl and became quite startled. Now that she got a good look at her, Ginny realized she was someone she never saw in Gryffindor Tower before, for Ginny knew all of the Gryffindors. Although, there was something familiar about her... Nevertheless, she silently cursed herself for leaving her wand up in her dorm. “Excuse me, who are you?” Ginny asked.


“My name is Lily. It is very nice to finally meet you, Ginny Weasley,” Lily replied.


“How do you know my name?” Ginny asked shakily.


“I’ve watched over you for a long time, Ginny. My full name is Lily Evans Potter. I am Harry’s mum.” She said warmly, her emerald eyes twinkling in the firelight.


“That’s not possible,” Ginny responded slowly, turning white.

“Actually, it quite is. You see, you are not awake at the moment. You really are asleep in your dorm. I called you here. I have very fond memories in this room.” She smiled as she looked around the room nostalgically.

Ginny’s mind whirled around in disbelief. It was completely and totally impossible. She looked at Lily suspiciously. “So, if you are Lily Potter, tell me something that only she would know. How do I know it’s not a trick of some sort?”


“Ah, I see Moody has influenced you with all of his constant vigilance stuff. Let me see. I can tell you a lot of things. First, Harry was a very fussy baby. He would get up frequently in the middle of the night. He still hasn’t grown out of that.”


“Okay, Harry’s a bad sleeper. Sorry, but that’s common knowledge. You need to do better than that,” Ginny challenged.


“Ah, you are a tough girl. How about this? Harry witnessed the attack on your father last year in his dreams. He saw the attack through the snake’s eyes. He started to think he was being possessed by Voldemort, and pulled away from everyone who cared about him. You were the one who pulled him out of that slump, Ginny. I sincerely thank you for that.” Ginny’s jaw dropped. She went on, “Also, Dementors affect him. He hears my scream when I was murdered. Sadly, that is his only memory of me. You, unfortunately, hear Tom Riddle.” A tear escaped from Lily’s eyes, while Ginny dropped her notes to the floor. If she could have gotten even paler, she would have.


At that moment, Ginny looked into her eyes. They were the exact same shade of green as Harry’s. “Merlin, is it really you, Mrs. Potter?” Ginny asked.


“Yes, it’s really me.” Lily replied, with a watery smile.


“How are you here? Why are you here? Why aren’t you with Harry? Meeting you would mean the world to him.” Ginny was overwhelmed. “I’m sorry, I mean, it’s very nice to meet you. But I have so many questions.”


“That’s okay, I kind of expected them. I am able to be here because I learned how to communicate through dreams. It is a skill that took me a long time to master. I have tried to reach Harry countless times, but something kept blocking me from his mind. I was able to reach you on the first try.” Lily responded.


“Well, Harry always has been thick. Perhaps that is what has kept you out,” Ginny replied without thinking. A blush crept down her neck as her eyes widened with embarrassment. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”


Lily chuckled, “That’s alright, Ginny. I am well aware of my son’s issues. But he has a heart of gold, which I’m sure you know as well. Anyway, I recently discovered a theory of why I can’t reach him, but we’ll talk about that in time.” Ginny nodded. “As for why I am here, I need your help. Precisely, Harry needs your help.”


“Why does Harry need my help?” Ginny wondered.


“You are his only hope in defeating Voldemort and coming out of this alive and whole.”

“Me?”

“Yes, Ginny. You are his one true love.”

Ginny was shocked beyond belief. She was utterly speechless. When she found her voice, she replied, “I think you may have made some mistake. You see, I couldn’t possibly be Harry’s one true love.”


Lily’s smile widened, “I thought you would say that. Ginny, haven’t you noticed changes in Harry during this past year? Haven’t you seen how he looks at you now? Has he not included you with Ron and Hermione more? In general, doesn’t he try to spend more time with you?”


Ginny opened and closed her mouth, cocking her head to the right in thought. She had indeed noticed those things. In fact, she has been utterly frustrated all year because of the changes in Harry. They made her more confused as ever. But if what Lily said was true… She was Harry’s one true love… Lily beamed at Ginny as she worked out what it all meant.


“I thought so,” Lily smiled. “I know my son has been very thick, but he has finally worked out his feelings for you. Now, what do you suppose may be preventing Harry from acting on his feelings?”

Ginny thought for a moment. Harry was so complicated. “I guess he hasn’t tried anything because I am dating Dean. Harry is too noble to do anything about his feelings if I am taken.”


“Right in one,” Lily responded. “He also is very worried that Ron would think he was betraying him by fancying his little sister.”


“Well, that’s just silly. Why would Ron be upset if we started dating? I mean, wouldn’t he be happy it’s Harry and not some other bloke?”


“We both know Ron would eventually warm up to the idea of you two dating. But this has to do with Harry, not Ron. Harry is the one who is worried. He has so few people in his life. Losing Ron over you would be devastating.”


Ginny nodded her head slowly. It was starting to make sense. “Okay, I see your point. I know how to deal with Dean. I honestly was planning on handling that situation anyway. But how can I help Harry get over this other issue?”


“Now that’s the trickier part, but it isn’t impossible,” Lily replied.


“Impossible?” Ginny contemplated. Her eyes lit up with
understanding. “Possible? Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.”


“You have an idea,” Lily curiously stated, smiling mischievously.


“I do,” Ginny beamed with that brazen look, “And it is going to be wicked, if I do say so myself.”

Back to index


Chapter 2: Anything's Possible if You've Got Enough Nerve

Author's Notes: Thanks for all of the kind reviews! I love to read them! Please be kind and keep them coming!

Please note, a few lines of dialogue was taken from HBP again from the famous Common Room kiss scene. Those lines belong to the great JK Rowling.

I actually was able to fit in one bonus phrase! Can you find it...


A week later, Ginny’s life seemed to be looking up. Her dream visit with Lily really helped her to understand what she really wanted out of life. She realized she didn’t want to pretend she was happy with the status quo any longer. She wanted Harry, and she was a woman with a wicked plan. The first obstacle was taken care of, as she was no longer dating Dean. She planned on letting him down gently, but the chivalrous git pushed her while trying to help her through the portrait door. As if she was so weak that she couldn’t open the door and enter successfully all by herself! Even without her heart to heart with Lily, she would have broken up with him, or at least hexed him.


Harry also continued to look at her as if he was a lost puppy. Everything Lily said really clicked when she saw him. It was now obvious to her that he was pining for her. And when he learned that she broke up with Dean, he looked like a little kid on Christmas. But still, he hadn’t made any moves. Lily must have been right. He was worried about Ron’s reaction. Ginny didn’t worry too much because she had a full proof plan to enact… She just needed to find the perfect moment.


The only damper to the whole week was when Harry got in trouble for attacking Draco Malfoy. Harry wouldn’t be able to play in that last Quidditch match against Ravenclaw. Ginny would have to play seeker for him instead. She was afraid this would be a setback, but she soon realized that this actually might be the perfect moment for her plan. Ginny was more determined to win the match than ever. So much more was riding on the outcome this time than the Quidditch Cup.


In no time, the match was upon them. Ravenclaw proved to be a formidable foe. At the end of the match, Ginny was elated. She did it! She actually caught the snitch. She was positively beaming as she dismounted from her broom.


On the pitch, she looked around for Harry, but he was nowhere to be found. Her demeanor changed as she sighed in disappointment.


“What’s wrong? You just caught the snitch, won us the Cup, and you look like you just lost your pygmy puff?” Ron asked.


“I was just thinking that the greasy git must still have Harry in detention. He would have made it to the pitch by now,” she said to Ron, as he shook his head in acknowledgement. Hopefully, Harry would make it soon…


The party started in the Common Room. Everyone was in a festive mood, drinking Butterbeer, and eating food brought to them by Dobby. Not Ginny. She was very preoccupied at the moment, and couldn’t eat or drink even if she wanted to. Her gaze kept returning to the door while she was halfheartedly participating in the conversations around her. Her mind was spinning in anticipation.


A roar of celebration erupted as the portrait door swung open. Ginny could see a mop of messy black hair over the crowd while people were screaming excitedly at the new arrival. Soon people pushed Harry forward; some were pulling him into the room.


“We won!” yelled Ron, bounding into sight and brandishing the silver cup at Harry. “We won! Four hundred and fifty to a hundred and forty! We won!”


Harry looked around and caught Ginny’s eye. Ginny realized that this was now or never. She was determined to make sure it was now. She started to run towards him, her heart beating faster and faster every second. She threw her arms around him. And with intent, and with enough nerve, and without a care that fifty people were watching, Ginny kissed him. And he kissed her back.


****


Life was good for Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley. They were a young couple in love. It was that lovely stage of a new, young love where they thought about each other almost every moment of every day. They would try to see each other as much as humanly possible, even though Ginny did have her OWLS to prepare for. When they were together, they would make any excuse to touch each other, whether they were holding hands, or leaning on one another. They would stay up late into the night in the Common Room talking and stealing kisses when others weren’t looking. They would have stolen moments under the Invisibility Cloak, afternoons under the shady weeping willow tree by the Black Lake, and one particularly wicked excursion in a broom closet. During the past weeks since she kissed Harry, Ginny frequently thought about her evening with Lily. That was the only time that she appeared in Ginny’s dreams. She had so much to thank Lily for, and she hoped she would get that chance soon.


On one of those late nights, Ginny and Harry fell asleep on the Common Room couch. After the younger students went to bed, they did have some great snogging moments in a secluded corner, thankfully unbeknownst to Ron. They ended up holding each other on the couch in front of the fireplace. Since Ginny was tired from studying and Harry was mentally exhausted over his latest private session with Dumbledore, they fell asleep unintentionally in each other’s arms.


Ginny started to rouse from her sleep. Her eyes slowly fluttered open. She was surprised to realize she never made it off the couch. She noticed that Harry wasn’t there at the moment. He must have gone up to bed, Ginny thought.


Ginny sat up. Her eyes began to focus in the dim light. She looked over to the chair next to the sofa, and noticed that Lily was sitting there reading an ancient-looking book.


“Let me guess, I am asleep right now,” Ginny stated, stifling a yawn.


“Yes, you are. It’s nice to see you again, Ginny,” Lily responded sweetly.


“It’s nice to see you, too, Mrs. Potter. So, did I ever make it up to my dorm?” Ginny wondered, glancing at the girls’ staircase.


Lily smirked, “Actually, you and Harry are sleeping together on the couch this very moment.”


Ginny’s eyes widened with embarrassment. Her face flushed. “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Potter. We had no idea we fell asleep. We didn’t do anything, really.”


Lily chuckled, “It’s okay, Ginny. I know. Why don’t we make a deal. I promise not to look down on you two when you are having ‘private time’, if you promise not to take things too far too quickly. I’ll even promise to prevent James and Sirius from cheering Harry on.”


Ginny blushed. “It’s a deal.”


“Anyway, I’m sure I can trust you two, as you both have good sense. Though it certainly makes me feel better that Molly Weasley is your mum. I don’t think anything would get past her or your brothers for that matter. Just how many boys is that?


“Umm, I have six older brothers.”


“Merlin, my poor son! He is really in for it now.”


“Don’t worry about Harry. I can take care of the lot. They can be rather frightened of me at times,” Ginny reassured. “Mrs. Potter, I am so happy you visited me in my dreams again. I wanted to get the chance to thank you.”


“Oh, honey. You don’t have to thank me. You and Harry were meant to be,” Lily stated, smiling.


“Yeah, but you gave me the little push I needed. For so long I buried my feelings for Harry, never thinking he’d ever feel the same way. You made me realize that what I wanted most was within my grasp.” Ginny replied.


“Ginny, I am so happy for you two. We all are.” Lily became a little more serious, subtly glancing at the book in her lap. “Ginny, this may sound like a silly question, but how do you really feel about Harry?”


Ginny was a little surprised, to say the least. She started slowly and thoughtfully. “How do I put into words how I feel about Harry? Well, I feel like I can do anything when we are together. It’s like everything is right in the world, and I feel complete joy and peace. But I feel a little empty when we are apart. I am kind of scared of how attached I am getting to him. I always had feelings for Harry, but they have intensified so much since we got together. I never really felt this way before.”


“Would you say that you are in love with him?” Lily asked warmly.


Ginny took a few moments. She was deep in thought. “I’ve never been in love before. I’m not sure how to know. It’s all so new how I am feeling… But I can’t imagine my life without him. I can’t ever think about making a life for myself with someone else. I know I would do anything and everything for him. Is that love?”


“Yes, Ginny.” Lily beamed at her. She stole another glance at the worn book on her lap. “Ginny, I think it’s time I shared something with you. First, I need to know how much you know about the night Harry received his scar.”


Where was she going with this? “Well, I know the basic story that all the young wizarding children were told. I know that Voldemort killed you and Mr. Potter, but couldn’t kill Harry. Voldemort lost his body, while Harry got the scar. I heard it had something to do with love. It’s odd, but I never learned much more. Up to now, I haven’t been in Harry’s inner circle. Ron and Hermione must know more than I do. It hasn’t come up these past weeks.”


“That’s what I thought. Ginny, I am going to tell you how Harry survived that night. It was definitely no accident.” Lily sighed softly, “And yes, love was the key. It all started when I found out that my baby was going to be targeted by Voldemort. Do you know about the Prophecy?”


“I know there is a Prophecy, and that it caused Voldemort to go after Harry. I worked that much out for myself at the Department of Mysteries.”


“Okay, well, I wasn’t about to sit and hide while my baby was in danger. I loved Harry more than anything else in the world, and I was relentless with finding a way to save him.” Lily walked over to Ginny, and sat with her on the couch. She handed Ginny the ancient book. “Ginny, I found the way to save him in this book.”


Ginny looked thoughtfully through the book. It was very old. The pages were creased, yellowed, and the corners were slightly torn. The binding was starting to come apart. Ginny couldn’t make heads or tails from the text because it was written in Latin. Ginny looked up at her, waiting for an explanation.


“While I was searching for a way, I read more books that I could count. I finally found this book when Harry was about six months old. It is an ancient spell book. I needed Remus to help me with the translations, but the section on love and blood rituals sparked my interest. There is a ritual that will protect the one you love from mortal danger. I used it on Harry when he was six months old. It saved his life.”


“What did the ritual entail?” Ginny wondered.


“In the ritual, I had to make two blood sacrifices; both from myself and Harry. Basically, I pricked both of our fingers. We had to join our fingers together, and I had to recite this incantation: Per meus diligo , Ego mos servo vos. Per meus vitualamen , Ego mos servo vos.”


“What does that mean?”


“Roughly, it can be translated as: With my love, I will protect you. With my sacrifice, I will save you.”


Ginny scrunched up her brow. “Mrs. Potter, forgive me if I’m wrong, but that seems too easy. How did that little ritual protect Harry from Voldemort?”


“It may sound easy, but it is not in the least. Think of the words, Ginny. During the incantation, I created a blood sacrifice. I declared that I would protect Harry at all costs. If need be, I would sacrifice my life for him. I put his life above my own. My intent made all the difference. Remember, intent is the most important part of this ritual,” Lily stated.


“I have a feeling, Mrs. Potter, that there is a reason why you asked me if I loved Harry.” Ginny seriously inferred.


“Yes, Ginny. As you know, Harry is still protected by my blood sacrifice. Voldemort couldn’t touch him when he was a baby, and Harry has successfully evaded mortal danger every time since. That was no stroke of luck. It was designed by my blood sacrifice. However, it is weakening and it won’t last for much longer. Even the blood wards on Privet Drive will go down on Harry’s seventeenth birthday. My protection for Harry should still be active after he’s of age, but I fear there is a chance it may be too weakened to save him if he would go against Voldemort once more. We all know that day is coming, Ginny. I don’t want to leave Harry’s fate to chance.”


“Neither do I, Mrs. Potter. I meant it when I said I would do anything for Harry. So, if the protection is weakened, I reckon I somehow have the ability to strengthen it,” Ginny stated.


“Yes, Ginny.”


Ginny had a determined, blazing look. “What must I do?”


“You and Harry need to perform this ritual.”


“I would do it in a heartbeat. But why in the world would Harry agree to that? He wouldn’t knowingly allow me to sacrifice myself for him.”


“Ginny, this ritual has a loophole. Remember, I said what was most important in this ritual was intent. Would you be willing to sacrifice yourself is much different from you are going to sacrifice yourself. Personally, I do not want you sacrificing yourself at all. I wouldn’t even be here suggesting this if I thought so. Your sacrifice would not necessarily have to come to pass. If I know my son, he will put you as far away from harm as possible.”


“So, I just have to be willing,” Ginny understood.


“Exactly, Ginny.”


“But Harry still wouldn’t go for that. How am I supposed to get him to cooperate? I doubt holding him at wand point would work.”


“Ginny, you are right in that Harry wouldn’t allow this. I guess this is one case when you are going to have to tell Harry a half truth. You can’t tell him that the ritual’s protection is one-sided. He doesn’t need to know it’s only for his protection. I usually wouldn’t advocate you lying to my son, but in this case I see no other choice. To think, I had been so angry with Dumbledore for leaving Harry out of the loop. But now I understand that Harry cannot always have all of the information. I’m sorry Ginny, but it was much easier for me when Harry was six months old.”


“I understand. I don’t like the circumstances, but it is worth a try. Should we start practicing the incantation now?”


“I think you can work that out on your own. It seems that Harry is stirring, and will be waking you up momentarily. Remember Ginny, you have the power to protect our Harry. You can ensure his safety.”


“Ginny, Ginny… wake up. We fell asleep,” Harry was gently nudging Ginny.


“Thanks, Mrs. Potter. I’ll try my best,” Ginny whispered, slurring her words.


“Ginny, it’s time to wake up. We need to go to our dorms,” Harry repeated.


Ginny slowly opened her eyes. “Harry, what happened?”


“We fell asleep. Why did you just call me Mrs. Potter?” Harry asked, bemused.


“Oh, I guess I’m a little out of it. You go up. I’ll be up in a minute.”


Harry nodded, kissed her temple gently, and trudged up the steps to the boys’ dormitory. Ginny watched him go up, and sighed. Yes, she would do anything for him in a heartbeat. She would lay down her life if it meant he could be saved. If her sacrifice would come to pass, so be it. He was worth it, and she certainly had enough nerve to do what was needed. And if she was never put in the situation to step in front of Harry, she could still protect him. She stood up and stretched, dropping something on the floor. She bent down and noticed that a very old, familiar book had fallen to the floor.

Back to index


Chapter 3: The Gift of Love

Author's Notes: Thanks to everyone who has been too kind! I enjoy your comments! We're almost there- the Epilogue is coming up next. I hope you enjoy it!

Please note, a few lines have been taken from HBP again, which belongs to JKR.


Over the course of the next week, Ginny and Harry had less time for each other than they would have liked. It was quite frustrating for the new couple. Ginny’s OWLS were coming up quickly, and she spent more and more time studying into the late hours. Harry did join her a few times in the library, but they both realized that he was hindering her progress with his ‘distractions’. On such occasions when Harry was not present, Ginny would take some time to translate the ancient spell book with the resources of the Hogwarts Library. She would also memorize the incantation. Often at night, she thought of her conversations with Lily. Lily, who in just two short meetings became like a mother figure to her, or at least like a dear friend. Lily seemed to have so much confidence that Ginny could protect Harry in the way that she did all those years ago. It was quite overwhelming for Ginny to think that her love could be that powerful. However, one thing was very clear to her. She was never more determined to do something in her whole life. She would succeed in protecting Harry.


On one glorious, sunny afternoon, Harry and Ginny did manage to spend a particularly special excursion by the lake. Harry decided to surprise her for all of her hard work. He went down to the kitchens before lunch, greeting a very enthusiastic Dobby. Dobby made the couple a picnic lunch, protesting Harry’s idea to make it himself. Harry and Ginny enjoyed their meal in the shade under the weeping willow. After the meal, Ginny was leaning against Harry, enjoying the cool breeze coming off of the water. Harry was quite content, to say the least.


“I feel like I’ve barely seen you this week. These dreadful OWLS couldn’t be over soon enough. I really enjoyed this surprise lunch, though.” Ginny said, nuzzling into Harry’s shoulder. “That was so thoughtful, and exactly what I needed.”


“You’re almost there, Gin. Pretty soon your OWLS will be finished, and we will have a lot more free time,” Harry reassured, rubbing the sides of her arms.


“I can think of a few things we can add to our schedule,” Ginny added seductively, turning to face him.


“Maybe you should run your ideas by me,” Harry matched. Ginny leaned in, kissing him soundly on the lips. Their arms started to wrap around each other, deepening their kiss. When the need for oxygen was apparent, they slowly broke apart.


“I’m certainly looking forward to our new schedule,” Ginny whispered closely. She lingered for a few moments. She sighed, returning to her original position. “Anyway, there is something that I have been researching in the library that has nothing to do with my OWLS.”


Harry raised one eyebrow. Ginny continued. “With everything that is going on in the war, I worry about keeping us safe. I mean, last week we were discussing three Dementor attacks. Right before that, a small boy was killed by a werewolf. Things are getting worse. I know you’ve been worried, too. You keep checking your map. I have a feeling we aren’t as safe at Hogwarts as we used to be. What’s really going on?”


Harry sighed. He didn't want to tell her, but he needed to be honest with her. Her safety was more important to him than anything. “Ginny, I think Malfoy is up to something, and I think Snape is helping him. I think Draco may have become a Death Eater.” Ginny’s eyes widened with disbelief. Before Ginny could retort, Harry continued, “I have discussed this theory with Ron, Hermione, Remus, your father, and Dumbledore. Everyone thinks that I’m being barmy. My instincts are telling me that I am right, though. I know something is going to happen. That’s why I keep track of Malfoy on my map. I know he’s in the Room of Requirement. He’s planning something, but the room won’t let me in to see what Malfoy is up to.” He looked her in the eyes; worry was etched in his face. “You are right. I think Hogwarts is not going to be safe for much longer. I worry about keeping you safe, first and foremost. Losing you would be my greatest fear.”


Her heart went out to him. She didn’t know what to say. Instead, she became nervous. It was time to tell him. She began to second guess herself. What if he saw right through her? What if he knew this was the same sacrifice Lily used? What if he found out what she really did after the fact? She brushed those thoughts aside. It was now or never. Her success was most important. She reached down into her bag and pulled out the worn book. “Harry, I found a solution to our problem,” Ginny stated, biting her bottom lip.


“What is it, Gin?”


“I have been translating this book in the library during my study breaks. It is an ancient spell book about love and blood protections. I have searched it thoroughly, and discovered something useful. I found a ritual that will ensure the protection of the one you love.” Ginny carefully turned the pages, stopping at her desired page. “It is quite straightforward. I have studied this ritual and practiced the incantation. I know it would work.”


Harry’s mind was spinning with the implications. He thought, Ginny had spent a lot of time and effort working on a way to protect us. She found a ritual that would protect the one you love… The one you love? Ginny loves me? SHE LOVES ME? Harry’s mind was working so quickly that moment that he couldn’t think clearly. He was preoccupied with the fact that she was telling him that she loved him. He finally found his voice.


“Are you sure this would work?” Harry asked.


“Yes, I read it thoroughly. We won’t have any unintended consequences. It is strictly for protection. I promise we won’t be bonded or married or hear each other’s thoughts.” She smirked at those implications.


“What would we have to do?” Harry wondered.


“All we have to do is prick our fingers and join them together. I will recite the incantation. That really would be it.”


“It sounds simple enough. Are you sure you want to do this, Ginny?” He thought, do you really… love me?


She gave him that delightful, brazen look. “I have never been surer of anything.”


“And how will this protection work? What does that entail?” Harry asked.


Ginny was silent for a moment, thinking about how to answer him. “It creates a blood protection. The blood ritual joins our blood together, making us stronger. The incantation,” she paused, “affirms our intentions to protect each other.” Ginny stopped. She felt horrible. She left quite a bit out of her explanation, but it was necessary. She kept telling herself, the ends justify the means. Protecting Harry was more important than anything.


Harry was relieved. It seemed like the answer he was looking for. He could protect Ginny, and she could protect him in turn. Harry was completely blown away with the idea that she loved him enough to want to go through with it. He then thought about his own feelings. He knew he cared deeply for Ginny. She was all he could think about. If he had a future free of Voldemort, he saw it with her. He realized that moment that love must be what he feels for Ginny. Harry decided he wanted to go through with the ritual. Protecting her was more important than anything. “Well, let’s give it a go,” Harry stated. Ginny let out a breath that she didn’t realize she was holding.


Harry and Ginny respectively pricked their fingers with their wands, their blood trickling ever so slightly. Ginny gave him a warm smile, quieting his insecurities. Their fingers joined, while Ginny recited with a loving voice, looking into Harry’s emerald eyes, “Per meus diligo , Ego mos servo vos. Per meus vitualamen , Ego mos servo vos.” Gold sparks shimmered from the tip of Ginny’s wand, which was still in her other hand. It was done. Neither of them noticed Hermione approaching them with a shocked expression.


****


Harry’s enjoyable afternoon continued throughout the early evening. It was almost as if he took another dose of Felix Felicis. He felt as if he could do anything. He kept thinking about the perfect afternoon he shared with Ginny by the lake. The realization that she really loved him made him happier than he had ever been. And there must have been something to that ritual they performed, because he never felt more at ease. He was shaken from his pleasant thoughts; however, by the appearance of Jimmy Peakes at his side. He was holding out a scroll of parchment.


“Thanks, Jimmy… Hey, it’s from Dumbledore!” said Harry excitedly, unrolling the parchment and scanning it. “He wants me to go to his office as quick as I can!”


He hurried along the corridors as fast as he could. He barely escaped Peeves’ notice while he was floating down the corridors looking for young prey. As he rounded the corner to avoid the annoying poltergeist, an argument in an empty classroom stole his attention. He recognized those voices. He started to enter, but was stopped dead in his tracks. He felt like he was frozen.


“Hermione, this has nothing to do with you. Please just let it be!” Ginny shouted exasperatedly.


“Ginny, I am not daft. I understand Latin. I know what type of ritual you performed with Harry.”


“Hermione, don’t…”


“I know what the incantation translates to. ‘With my love, I will protect you. With my sacrifice, I will save you.’ Ginny, you are going to sacrifice yourself for Harry. Aren’t you?”


“Not necessarily, Hermione,” Ginny retorted.


“Just what does that mean?” Hermione asked.


“It means I am willing to sacrifice myself. It doesn’t mean I am going to. I mean, it could happen that way, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s about intent, not action.”


“Does Harry know you did this?” Hermione asked.


Ginny pleaded with her eyes, “It was the only way, Hermione. His blood protection from his mother was weakening. I fixed the problem.”


“Ginny, how do you know about that? Who has been helping you? Did Dumbledore tell you to do this? And you didn’t answer my last question.”


“Hermione, please just trust me and let it be.”


Harry couldn’t bear to hear anymore. He slowly walked away from their voices, his feet feeling like lead. His thoughts and hurt emotions overwhelmed him. What have I done? Ginny created a blood sacrifice for me. How could she do that? She lied to me. Doesn’t she realize what most likely would happen? Why would she do that to herself? I couldn’t bear to lose her. I don’t want her stepping in front of me, the way my mum did. I won’t let her… Was Dumbledore behind it? He must have been the one to put her up to this. Who else would even know about my mum’s blood sacrifice? No one else here knows besides Hermione and Ron. It certainly wasn’t them… How could he use Ginny like that?


He started to walk again towards Dumbledore’s Office, enraged with his mentor’s apparent betrayal. He trudged onward, thinking about a few choice words he would like to say to Dumbledore. However, all of that would have to wait. Moments later, he had a run in with Professor Trelawney outside the Room of Requirement. He discovered that Draco was celebrating, for he must have completed his task. It was too late to stop him. Whatever he feared was coming, was about to come very soon. He had to think of a plan quickly. At that moment, Harry wondered if that evening could possibly get any worse.


****

It is remarkably sad how quickly your life could change for the worst. In a blink of an eye, you can lose everything. Dumbledore was dead. Snape murdered him. Dumbledore was gone. He would never stand in front of Harry again. Harry was on his own.


Harry was filled with these thoughts. He sat at Ginny’s side, attending the surreal experience that was Dumbledore’s funeral. He looked at the girl next to him, and didn’t really see Ginny. It was like he was seeing her ghost. He thought at that moment, Just how many people I love are going to stand in front of me, sacrificing themselves for my account. It’s a pretty long list: my dad, my mum, Sirius, and now Dumbledore. Ginny intends to follow in their footsteps. I can’t let her. I won’t! I can forgive her for what she has done, since I know it was done out of love. But I wouldn’t be able to go on if she died to save me. I need her to come back to. I need her to be safe. This sacrificing thing ends here. I know what I must do.


“Ginny, listen…”he said very quietly as the buzz of conversation grew louder around them and people began to get to their feet, “I can’t be involved with you anymore. We’ve got to stop seeing each other. We can’t be together.”


She said, with an oddly twisted smile, “It’s for some stupid, noble reason, isn’t it?”


“It’s been like… something out of someone else’s life, these last few weeks with you.” said Harry. “But I can’t… we can’t… I’ve got things to do alone now.”


Ginny’s mind was racing throughout the rest of the conversation. She kept telling herself, don’t cry, Ginny. Whatever you do, do not cry. This is it. He is leaving me. I have to put on a brave face. She remembered Lily’s words during their last meeting. Those words hit her like a bucket of cold water over her head. “If I know my son, he will put you as far away from harm as possible.” She knew her son too well. She then thought, Lily knew Harry would push me away. She said so herself, that he would keep me out of danger. Otherwise she would have never told me about the ritual.


Ginny decided right then and there that she had to let him go, even though everything in her soul was screaming not to. It was the hardest thing she would ever do. She would let him go off and do what needed to be done. She was comforted in that she succeeded where it mattered. He would be protected. She hoped that Harry would find his way back to her in the end. She would make sure she would be there, waiting for him.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Epilogue

Author's Notes: Here is the conclusion! I hope everyone has enjoyed it. I really enjoyed writing this story. Please read and review.

I have some plot bunnies hopping around for a series of one-shot sequels called Conversations with Lily. But my next adventure is to complete my story, Secrets.

Please note, I borrowed a defining line from DH. Those words belong to the great JK Rowling.


On a warm, May morning, Harry found his four-poster bed almost as he left it a year ago. Bruised, bloodied, and relieved all at the same time, Harry was finally able to sleep soundly. It was all over. He was free to live his own life. And he knew one thing: he wanted Ginny Weasley to be a major part of it.


On the other side of Gryffindor Tower, Ginny slept in her own dormitory. Ginny went through hell the previous night. She lost Fred, Colin, Remus, and Tonks. Yet Harry, the person she held most dear, did find his way back to her in the end. Ginny was able to sleep soundly for that reason alone.


Harry started to stir. His nose twitched. Something soft was tickling it. He opened his eyes, noticing a halo of red was splashed over his face. Gently removing the red locks, Harry came to his senses. He was not in his four-poster bed. He was on the Common Room couch. Ginny was sleeping soundly in his embrace. He was puzzled about how that happened. But after the last few days, nothing surprised him.


Harry gently nudged her. “Ginny,” he whispered. However, she just nuzzled herself closer. He tried again, kissing her forehead. “Ginny, wake up.” It was broad daylight outside, and anyone could pass by them. He was particularly worried about anyone with red hair passing by. As Ginny began to stir, all paranoid thoughts seemed to vanish.


Her deep brown eyes slowly opened, slightly dazed. Without thinking, as if it were the most natural thing in the world, she started to kiss him. He returned her advances, leaning into her. It was not a desperate kiss like they shared on his birthday. It was a kiss of affirmation of the love they had for each other. It was a promise for what their lives would have in store from them: lives free of darkness and despair. Her arms wrapped around his neck, playing with the hair at the nape. Merlin, she missed that hair! He gripped her tighter, reveling in her unique floral scent: the scent he longed for during those long months apart.


After many long moments, when they had their fill of snogging each other senseless, they slowly moved apart, sitting up on the couch. Ginny smiled at him, and reached up to caress his cheek to make sure he was real. Harry was there, alive and well. He really didn’t die, like she thought he did a few hours earlier. Her protection worked, and she was in his arms at last.


A look of pain appeared on her face as she took it all in. She looked as if she was trying to suppress her tears. Harry noticed. “I’m so sorry, Gin. If I would have worked things out sooner, maybe Fred…”


Ginny put her finger on Harry’s lips to silence him, “Harry, listen to me carefully. I don’t want you apologizing for Fred or anyone else. It was Voldemort that caused their deaths, not you. Not you! If I ever hear you blame yourself, I’ll have to acquaint you with some of my Bat-Bogey friends.” She paused. “Yes, I am devastated about Fred, but I guess I am in shock. What’s bothering me is… I thought you were dead, Harry. I saw Hagrid carrying your body. I thought…” For once in front of Harry, Ginny succumbed to tears. “I wanted to die.”


Harry wiped her tears away with his thumb. “I’m so sorry, Ginny. I never wanted to hurt you.”


Her voice was deliberate with raw emotion. “You went to him, Harry. You met him in the forest. Why? Why didn’t you fight?”


“I had no choice, Ginny. Please trust me. It had to be this way.”


“But why did you have to go him in the first place? I don’t understand…”


“I do,” said Lily warmly, walking forward from the shadows.


Ginny and Harry both turned towards the voice. Harry stood up, but couldn’t move once he realized who it was.


“Mrs. Potter?” Ginny asked, standing. She was surprised to see Lily. Up until this moment, she was certain that she was awake. Harry was beyond confused.


“Mum?” Harry asked, bewildered.


“Hi, Baby,” Lily sweetly greeted Harry. She smiled at Ginny. “It’s nice to see you again, Ginny.”


Harry looked from Lily to Ginny back to Lily again. He lost all ability to speak from the shock.


Ginny explained. “Harry, we are dreaming. We must still be in our poster beds. Isn’t that correct, Mrs. Potter?” Lily nodded, beaming at Harry.


“It’s true, Harry. I called you and Ginny here. I’m sorry I couldn’t meet with you before. It was impossible until now,” Lily said, looking Harry up and down, admiring her grown son in person.


Harry replied, “Wait. I’m asleep, but this is real?” He looked at Ginny curiously. “How did you know that?”


“Yes, Harry. Ginny knows because this is not the first time I visited her in her dreams.” Ginny looked sheepishly towards Harry, while Lily explained. “I’m sorry, Honey. Voldemort prevented me from visiting you. Now that you are free of him, I can finally reach you.” Lily walked over to Harry, embracing him. Harry slowly brought his arms around her, afraid she would disappear. When he realized she was as solid as he was, he hugged her firmly as if his life depended on it. It was his turn to succumb to tears. She rubbed his back affectionately. Ginny was beaming at the reunited mother and son.


“Shhh, Baby,” Lily replied. Harry released her, looking at her at arm’s length. He remembered looking in the Mirror of Erised all those years ago. This was so much better.


“Mum? It’s really you?” Harry asked, swiping his tears with the back of his hand.


“It’s really me, Baby.” She had tears in her eyes as well. “I visited your dreams today to explain some things to the both of you. Maybe you should both sit down.”


Harry and Ginny returned to the couch, while Lily sat by the fireplace. “Harry, you need to know that I have always tried to reach you in your dreams. I trained to learn how to do it. It is a skill that is not unheard of, but it is rare to master it. Your father hasn’t been successful, and he wishes he was able to meet you. He sends you his love.” Harry nodded, not trusting his voice.


She continued. “I have watched over you your whole life. But I never understood why I couldn’t reach you. I finally found out the reason during your sixth year. I was fed up with Dumbledore’s way of treating you. I entered Dumbledore’s dreams, chastising him for keeping information from you. I felt that you needed to have all the information if you were going to defeat Voldemort.” She looked away from him. “I was wrong. Dumbledore told me about the Horcrux in your scar. I knew then that you would one day have to sacrifice yourself to defeat Voldemort.”


“Wait? What’s a Horcrux? What does that have to do with your scar?” Ginny asked, looking at Harry.


Harry turned to Ginny, sighing. “A Horcrux is a part of someone’s soul that was placed in an object. Voldemort made them. With a Horcrux, you can never die. That was Voldemort’s secret.” Harry looked sympathetically. “We didn’t realize it at the time, but his diary was the first Horcrux that was destroyed.” Ginny’s eyes widened, and she physically paled in shock. Harry continued, “That was what Hermione, Ron, and I were tracking down all this time. We were trying to find and destroy them.”


“And your scar?” Ginny asked, starting to tremble.


“A Horcrux, Gin. I discovered that fact during the battle. That was why I had to go to him last night. I had to die if Voldemort was to be destroyed.”


Ginny turned from pale gray to green. Comprehension dawned on her face. “Mrs. Potter, you knew about Harry’s scar when you visited me. That’s why you told me about the ritual.”


Harry looked up quickly in surprise. “It was you, Mum? I can’t believe it. Why would you do that to her?”


Lily replied. “Harry, I knew you would someday face him with the intent of letting him kill you. I also knew that my blood protection was weakening. Dumbledore seemed to think that the fact that Voldemort took your blood when he regained his body would anchor you to life. I wasn’t so sure since my protection was compromised... You and Ginny are soul mates, Harry. Performing the ritual would create an indestructible bond. Harry, let me ask you this. What was your final thought before you were going to die?”


Harry looked straight into Ginny’s eyes. “My last thought was of you, Gin. I was remembering our first kiss in the Common Room just before I was engulfed in the green light.”


“True love conquers all, Harry. I believe it wasn’t Voldemort that tied you to this world. It was Ginny.”


Harry looked up at his mother and to the woman he loved. He noticed both had tears in their eyes. Harry felt a knot in his throat. He spoke with emotion. “Mum, Ginny, I love you both so much. I don’t know what to say.” He looked at Ginny first. “Gin, I overheard you and Hermione arguing about the ritual. I didn’t want you to die for me. That’s why I broke it off with you.” Ginny nodded mutely.


“Harry, I knew you would push Ginny away to keep her safe. That’s the only reason why I approached her,” Lily reassured.


“Mum, you gave your life for me. Gin, you were willing to do the same. It was love that saved me in the beginning and in the end. How can I ever thank you?”


“Harry, there is only one thing I want for you. Be happy, Baby. You are free to live your own life. That is what I gave my life for. I want my son to live his life with the woman he loves.” Lily gave Ginny a warm smile, which she happily returned. “I see a wonderful future for the both of you. I can’t wait to look down on my grandchildren.” She winked at them.


“But what about you, Mum?”


“Harry, a wise man once said that death was the next great adventure. He was right. Where we are… I can’t describe it. It really is the best place. Don’t be sad for me or anyone else who has passed.”


“Will we ever see you again, Mrs. Potter?” Ginny asked. “I hope this isn’t good-bye.”


“It is never good-bye, Ginny. I will always be a part of your lives. I definitely plan to enter both of your dreams again. Harry, I want a relationship with you. And I love you like a daughter, Ginny.” They both beamed at Lily.


In the distance, the sound of fireworks could be heard in the late afternoon sky. Every color of the rainbow was illuminating the Common Room. It was even starting to rain stars. Harry looked over to Ginny, but she slowly faded from view. He looked at his mother with concern.


“Not to worry. Ginny just woke up. The celebrations outside must have startled her. We don’t have much time before you go.”


“I don’t want to leave you, Mum. I just got you. It’s too soon.”


“I know, Harry. I promise to visit you soon. Just remember, it was all worth it. I love you, Harry.” Lily said, as Harry started to fade.


“I love you, Mum,” Harry whispered in his sleep. Harry’s eyes slowly fluttered open. He smiled. All was well.






Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=128980