The Hallows Questers by sapphire200182



Summary: ** Winner of Best Adventure in The Deathly Hallows Challenge **
The Royal Academy of Magic's sudden interest in the Deathly Hallows and the Ministry's completion of the investigation into the Battle of Hogwarts sparks off yet another mysterious adventure that once more plunges Harry into conspiracies, Dark Wizards and the Ministry of Magic's many secrets. Entry for Deathly Hallows Challenge 2009.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-Hogwarts, Deathly Hallows Challenge (2009-1)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2009.02.22
Updated: 2009.03.01


The Hallows Questers by sapphire200182
Chapter 1: Chapter 1 - Letters
Author's Notes:

CHAPTER ONE - LETTERS


* * *


TO: Ohm Phlegmpot, Battle of Hogwarts Investigation Committee
FROM: Caractacus Croaker, Department of Mysteries
RE: Further Information, Battle of Hogwarts Report

Dear Ohm,

My thanks for the copy of your report. It is very informative indeed, and I congratulate you and your team for finally making sense of the whole affair.

A matter of mild curiosity to the Department of Mysteries still remains, however. I would like to know more about Mr Dennis Creevey whom you personally interviewed, specifically his comments on Harry James Potter’s ‘new wand’. Also, I would like more clarification on a comment of his, reproduced here below:

“…Harry discussed something about wand ownership with Voldemort, and fought Voldemort for his rightful wand…”

Yours sincerely,

Croaker

***


Dear Mr Potter,

The Faculty of Modern Magic from the Royal Academy of Magic would like to interview you on the Second Wizarding War and the Battle of Hogwarts, specifically the points outlined below:

a) spells and jinxes of particular interest, e.g. the ‘Bat-Bogey’ Hex
b) certain enchantments and wards used to protect Hogwarts castle
c) the ‘Room of Requiring’

Also, reports from certain quarters have been received about your possession of certain ancient magical artifacts, not the least interesting of which is a diadem reputed to have belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw. We beg your leave, in the interest of science, to examine such magical artifacts as you have in your possession, if indeed you do possess them.

We would also like to invite you to speak at the Academy during its 600th anniversary dinner, to be held on the 12th of June of this year. Several of our faculty members and most of our students are anxious to hear your words on the subject of modern magic and its role and continued development throughout the First and Second Wizarding Wars.

Yours sincerely,

Pauline W. Adler
Dean of the Faculty of Modern Magic
Royal Academy of Magic

* * *


Dearest,

Just a brief reminder not to forget our date this weekend, I know you’ll have forgotten (don’t lie, Potter!). I know you’re very busy with your important work in the Auror Department, and Ron tells me you haven’t been taking lunch breaks (again), but you do need to take some time off to relax.

I’ve just heard from Hermione. Lavender has set up shop in Diagon Alley; a charming little café called the ‘Tea Witches’. Perhaps one of these days we can stop by and say hi?

It’s hardly all fun and games down here. Gwenog pushes us hard, and even today I am playing (and playing against) moves and formations I have never seen before. Some of these are one-shot wonders which are easily surmounted with a bit of post-game analysis, but some of the maneouvres the Tornadoes are throwing out can really upset the league tables!

I have to stop writing now; can’t sit up long as I’ve a fantastic bruise in the small of my back that won’t go away, thanks to a Bludger from behind during practice. It’ll be okay by tomorrow, though the mark will be around for a week or so. Perhaps I’ll let you see it, if you’re good…

Eagerly awaiting this Sunday.

Gin

* * *


Gin,

I could never have forgotten, Gin, though you’d never believe it. You’ll like the British Museum, I promise. There’ll be so much to see there we’ll hardly cover it all in a week of visiting!

Reading your writings of Quidditch really makes me wish I could change jobs with you, if only for a day. Imagine being paid to play in the League! Why, I’d even do it for free! Also, I can’t say I’m sorry you got Bludgered; maybe I’ll kiss the bruise well?

Have you heard of the ‘Royal Academy of Magic’? Someone from there wants to interview me about some spells and such used in the last battle, your favourite Hex among them (you know which one I mean!). I don’t see why not, but I think I’ll have to draw the line at letting them see the diadem of Ravenclaw and the other Hs, if you know what I mean.

Yes, I know about Lavender’s teashop, she sent me an invite. I don’t know if I can visit though, I’ll have to check my schedule. Should we bring Ron and Hermione along and watch the sparks fly?

Harry

* * *


Harry,

The Royal Academy of Magic is a very prestigious institution, very very old and famous. They’re celebrating their 600th anniversary this year, I believe. Hermione is seriously considering furthering her magical studies there and has asked me to go along and ‘improve my education’, but I don’t think much of that idea. Spending all day cooped up in a classroom with some stodgy, boring old professors…

If you’re so busy, why don’t you invite this Pauline to the Tea Witches this Sunday? We could always come out of the British Museum at four and go then. That way, you’ll settle Pauline and Lavender at the same time, not to mention having me around to watch over you and ensure you don’t stray!

Love,
Ginny

***


Harry,

Me? Stray?

I’ll dash off a reply to Pauline and Lavender then; this Sunday, four, at the Tea Witches with my girlfriend.

Harry

* * *


Dear Ms Adler,

I shall be having tea with a good friend and fellow participant in the Hogwarts battle at the ‘Tea Witches’ in Diagon Alley this Sunday at four p.m. If you are able to make the time, I daresay you will have many of your questions answered.

Harry

* * *


Dear Mr Potter,

I shall look forward to meeting you and your friend, Mr Potter. I and my associate will be at the Tea Witches at four sharp.

Yours sincerely,

Pauline W. Adler

* * *


C,

Secured interview with YKW Sunday, 4pm at Tea Witch, Diagon Alley. N tracing route YKW took during late unpleasantness.

P

* * *


Sunday.
The British Museum.


As Harry exited the museum, he exhaled deeply as the first rays of sunshine hit him. After what seemed like ages in the artificial light of the British Museum’s deepest, most obscure galleries, even the somewhat smoggy London outdoors was a breath of fresh air.

He glanced down to his left, at the red-topped head that turned to look up at him with twinkling brown eyes peeping out from under the last of a smattering of faded brown freckles.

“Well?” he said to Ginny, as they strolled out of the building. “How was that?”

“Fascinating,” said Ginny. “I had no idea you Muggles were so advanced. That fax machine… and the funny box that looks like a television…”

“A computer,” said Harry. He had shown Ginny one of those in an Internet kiosk in the museum, and Ginny had been absolutely wowed by the machine, spending ages just pointing and clicking randomly at the screen with her ‘rat’ (“It’s a mouse!” and giggling when a window popped up.

“Yes, that. Just brilliant. There are so many things you could do with that, it’s like a Muggle wand.” Ginny stopped. “Though I suppose to you, these are all just household appliances. You were more interested in the other stuff.”

“I preferred the historical galleries myself,” confessed Harry. “Those dealing with peoples’ lifestyles; the Indians, Africans, Egyptians…”

“Not the Mummy Room, though,” Ginny shuddered. “Some of those items are very badly cursed, steeped in the Dark Arts. That King Tuthankhamun was one of the most powerful Dark wizards of that time. And he had his own group of followers, like the Death Eaters.”

Harry frowned. Ginny had not been exaggerating; the Mummy Room had been soaked in Dark magic and the very instant the two had stepped in, their magical intuition had gone crazy, screaming in no uncertain terms that they were in danger. Neither of them had backed down from the challenge, although throughout all of the five tense minutes they had spent inside the room their hands were gripping the handles of their wands tightly. What was worse, their presence seemed to stimulate some of the magical booby traps on the mummies, making them more malevolent than ever.

“I think I ought to report this to your dad,” said Harry thoughtfully. “Maybe one of these nights, Perkins, he and I can sneak in and get rid of the worst of the spells and traps. Anyway, let’s talk about something else.”

“It’s twenty past three,” said Ginny, checking her watch. “We’re early. The Tea Witches? Lavender?”

Harry groaned. “Here we go, then.”

They ducked into a side alley. Looking around and seeing no one watching, Harry took out his wand and held out a hand to Ginny to hold on to while they Apparated. Ginny ignored it and put her arms around his waist instead, as Harry raised his wand. He looked down at her.

She gave him a fast peck on the cheek. “What?” said Ginny, smiling innocently.

“Nothing,” grinned Harry, thoroughly enjoying Ginny’s embrace and the tingling warmth on his cheek where her lips had touched.

CRACK!

* * *


Diagon Alley.

Harry pocketed his wand and held out his hand for Ginny to hold. She took it and they began walking down the busy street to the venue of the newest café to open along Diagon Alley - the Tea Witches.

Ginny giggled.

“What?” said Harry, slightly more irritatedly than intended.

“Your face. You look just like you did before facing the first Triwizard Task,” she said.

“No, I don’t,” said Harry, pasting a reluctant grimace on his face. “I’m fine.”

“Mmmm. Very unconvincing,” said Ginny. “You don’t want to visit Lavender, do you?”

“I’m just hoping it’s nothing like dear Madam Puddifoot’s,” confessed Harry. “Anything but that.”

“Oh, don’t worry. Lavender assured me it’s quite chic, the last thing she wants is a Knight Busload of Hogwarts students in her place having a mass snog,” said Ginny. “She knows how you boys are so squeamish about such things.”

“Very considerate of her,” muttered Harry.

“No, just bad for business,” said Ginny brightly. “Here we are.”

The café wasn’t that bad, decided Harry. It was very European, he thought; chairs set around open air tables on the sidewalk covered with checkered red tablecloths, with china teapots, teacups and saucers ruling the tabletops. Sandwiches and tea or pumpkin juice seemed to be the main attraction here, judging by what the other customers had ordered. Overall, thought Harry, a very nice place to sit in the sunshine and enjoy a nice cup of tea, but the mood would be somewhat spoilt by a bout of bad weather.

Harry and Ginny sat down at a table. A slightly panting witch came over and with a quick “Good afternoon” set down two menus on the table before dashing off to tend to another customer.

Harry opened his to find himself confronted with a bewildering array of sandwiches and tea, ranging from Muggle favourites like watercress and camomile to some rather more eclectic Wizarding flavours like pumpkin jam and Flitterbloom tea.

Pumpkin jam?” he exclaimed. He glanced at Ginny, who smirked and said, “Don’t worry, it’s actually quite nice, Harry.”

They ordered and in the space of two minutes, another harried-looking waitress dropped off a platter of sandwiches and tea, artfully arranged in a mouth-watering way. The first thing Harry did was to try the pumpkin jam sandwiches, which although strange in taste he conceded to be quite delicious in fact. The other selections they had made were also at the very least equal in taste and preparation to Mrs. Weasley’s cooking.

“Harry, Ginny!” cried a nearby voice. The two turned to see Lavender gliding towards them.

“Hi Lavender,” said Ginny. “This is a very nice place, Lavender, you’ve done a great job.”

“Business looks booming,” said Harry. “We never heard much from you since about a year ago. How did you get the idea to set up a café?”

“Well,” began Lavender, taking a deep breath, “it all started like this…”

* * *


By the time it was five to four, Lavender had very thoroughly talked the two through the entire sequence of events starting nine months ago that had led to the opening of the Tea Witches. Harry was beginning to feel just a little more bored than he could comfortably stand, and was more than glad to spot a very businesslike witch stop in front of the café. Surprisingly, she had a rather elderly wizard with her. The witch caught his eye, and nodded.

“Excuse me, Lavender,” said Harry, making as if to get up. “I invited a lady to discuss some matters with me, and she’s here.”

“Oh, that’s alright, I’ve stayed far too long already. Don’t bother about the bill, I’ve got it,” said Lavender. “Ta ta, lovebirds.”

As the witch Harry assumed was Pauline Adler picked her way through the tables towards him, Harry had time to catch Ginny’s eye and sigh theatrically as Lavender left. Then the witch was upon them.

“Mr. Potter?” she said formally. “Pauline Adler from the Royal Academy of Magic, and this is my head professor, Clarke.”

Harry looked up. At first glance, Pauline Adler appeared to resemble Professor McGonagall, though he could see that she was in fact quite young, probably in her late twenties, certainly no older than thirty. Her blonde hair was tied back professionally at the back of her head, and the grey eyes that took him in and flicked just briefly to the faint lightning-shaped scar on his forehead were coolly professional.

The wizard with her - Clarke, was it? - was like Horace Slughorn in shape but reminded Harry of Dumbledore; he was rotund, somewhat elderly and smiled pleasantly as Harry nodded at him. However, when Harry met his brown eyes, there was no friendliness in them.

A frantically desperate man hidden behind a mask of congeniality stared back at him from the two panicked brown orbs that bored into Harry with an unmistaken plea for help.

* * *

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=128346