A New Way to Live by peskypetunia



Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

SHOCKER OF SHOCKERS! PESKY UPDATES! Sequel to "Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity." Please read and review ;) before reading this one! Harry and Ron are becoming Aurors, and a new threat is rising. Will Draco return a changed man? How will Harry learn the new ways to love?
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2007.01.10
Updated: 2007.11.25


A New Way to Live by peskypetunia
Chapter 1: A New Day
Author's Notes:

Chapter One
A New Day

Bill smiled grimly, as the hot liquid passed his lips. The scalding hot tea warmed and soothed away the aches of the previous week. Last week, the Dark Lord fell. In that battle, Bill lost nearly every person in his family. In that battle, Bill had nearly killed one his best friends.

Remus had helped Bill get through his first bite and transformation as a werewolf. Though Remus and Healers told Bill that he could have a normal life, Remus was the one that helped him see that life was still worth living. Last week, Bill nearly killed Remus. They had both transformed into their werewolf forms. Bill and Remus knew each other in their wolf forms and attacked the only werewolf Voldemort had managed to recruit.

Once Fenrir Greyback had been killed, Bill vaguely remembered trying to kill Remus in some attempt at domination. Remus had fought back, but Greyback had wounded him. Bill had been bitten again that night, but all Bill wanted was to be the last werewolf standing. He had nearly killed the man that helped him cope with being a werewolf in the first place.

Lost in his thoughts, Bill didn’t hear the three people quietly come up behind him. They watched as he gazed out the window, sipping his steaming tea. After a moment of silence, Fleur stepped forward and wrapped a loving arm around his waist.

He smiled and turned to face his petite wife and noticed the other two people in the room. “I didn’t hear you come in,” he commented dryly.

Hermione exhaled and smiled at him. “We have been worried about you. We decided that you needed to talk.”

Bill snorted into his tea and stepped away from his wife. He glared at Hermione’s presumption. He knew he shouldn’t be angry with her, but as he knew better than to get mad at Fleur and couldn’t look Remus in the eye, Hermione was the only alternative at the moment.

Remus cleared his throat and moved in between Hermione and Bill. “You haven’t been down to eat. Fleur tells me you aren’t sleeping,” Remus paused, while Bill glared at his wife, “And I know you are trying to come to terms with what happened that day.”

Again, Bill snorted but said nothing further. Fleur moved to his side again and whispered her love to him.

“Bill,” Remus began again, “It wasn’t your fault. Your wolf form sees me as a dominant wolf and when I was injured, your wolf wanted to kill my wolf in an attempt to assert dominance. I did the same thing several years ago. Unfortunately, it only got me hurt. I’m just grateful that you weren’t harmed any worse. You didn’t do it to hurt me, Bill, forgive yourself.”

Bill listened to Remus and sighed heavily. “I appreciate that Remus, I really do. I just scared myself. What if the wards had fallen? I could have hurt someone. I could have killed Mum if Ginny hadn’t jumped in. Right now, it’s hard for me to see that it will be okay in the end. I just don’t know what the future is going to be like. How can I cope with it? I wanted kids. How can we have a child…” Bill’s voice cracked and he looked away.

Remus smiled at Fleur and graciously stepped out of the room, leaving Bill with his wife and Hermione.

“Bill,” Fleur whispered nervously, “When ze babies come, we will make it work. Hermione can help me or your muzzer. You know I’d never let anything happen to our little onez.”

He smiled at her gratefully, but worry still etched his face. Hermione waited for the boom. “Three…Two…One…” she thought to herself.

“What do you mean, when?” Bill snarled.

Fleur gasped in fear, as her husband’s face frightened her. “I’m pregnant.”

Hermione almost hadn’t heard her. Fleur whispered so quietly. She hadn’t meant to tell him yet. They watched Bill intently. He seemed to be growing more and more red. Hermione moved closer to Fleur in support.

“You knew,” Bill spat at Hermione.

“I did the test,” she hissed back haughtily.

Bill clenched his jaw and ground out, “How long have you known?”

Fleur sighed, knowing how he would react, “Two months, I ‘ave known for two months. I am four months along, due around Christmas.”

“How could you go into that battle, face the monsters we fought, when you knew that you were putting our child in danger?!” Bill growled.

“What kind of life would he have? I fought because he deserves the best life I can give him. We were all important in zat battle. Neville saved me once. I saved Tonks from getting hit from behind. Tonks kept you from killing Remus!” Fleur snarled at her husband.

Bill flung his cup across the room. It exploded against a wall and Bill began to scream at his wife. Fleur immediately began to scream at her husband and Hermione laughed, covering her ears. Moments later, Molly Weasley came barging into the room silencing the hollering couple.

“Hermione, dear would you clean that up?” Molly asked pointing at the mess of tea across the room.

Bill and Fleur glared at each other, ignoring the matron’s smirks.

“Well,” Molly said, “It seems that my son is finally done feeling sorry for himself and that my daughter-in-law has finally confessed. Now, before you two go at it again, I have a story to tell you.”

Bill stepped away from his wife and turned to face the window again.

“About a year after I had the twins, the Dark Lord began a new violent rampage. We were terrified and went into hiding. Bill, you may remember this,” Molly said as she settled herself against the doorframe.

“Your father and I were desperately trying to keep you children safe. Late one night, about two weeks after we went into hiding, I received word from Dumbledore that my two brothers, Fabian and Gideon had died. Only days before, I found out I was pregnant. Ron was on his way. I didn’t tell your father because I knew he would want me to go to my parents. I refused to live in fear anymore. Gideon and Fabian wouldn’t have wanted that for me.

“That was when we moved to the Burrow. I fixed up the house as best I could, while your father set the wards. We were still in danger, but we were safe for the time being. At that point, we hadn’t made any real enemies out of the Death Eaters. Finally, after I was about five months pregnant, I told your father.

“He exploded, much like you did. He was gripped with fear and worry, but I wouldn’t change my mind. He said horrible things to me. He ordered me to move in with my mother. He considered terminating the pregnancy. He even tried to get me to move into the Muggle world.

“I was devastated. Women envision telling her husband about their babies. It’s a time of joy and celebration. Ron’s birth would come in a time of great fear and despair. After a few nights on the couch, Arthur came to realize that I wasn’t going to let fear rule over us anymore. I wanted to be happy and have the life we wanted regardless of the Dark Lord’s plans.

“You, my son, are so like him. You are afraid that you can’t be a good father because you’re a werewolf. Should Fleur have told you? Yes, but would you have listened? She wants you to be happy. She wants to raise a family with you. She is allowed to look for the good after, all this sadness.” Molly stopped and watched Fleur let Hermione embrace her as cried into the younger girl’s shoulder.

“And Fleur,” Molly said gently, “Bill is allowed to be scared. Arthur and I were terrified with each one of my children. I’m still scared for them at times. I’m even scared of them; I never know what the twins will come up with next. But Bill has a fear that we cannot understand. He must learn to live his life regardless, but let him be afraid. It will teach him and motivate him to be a stronger parent. Now, Hermione, I think we need to let these two have a moment.”

Hermione smiled at Molly as they left the couple in the upstairs drawing room. Just as they left the room, Molly shot the counter-curse, ending their silence.

“I’m going to be a father?” Bill croaked incredulously.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once back in the kitchen, Hermione and Molly busied themselves by making tea and breakfast for the large family. Mr. Granger smiled at his daughter as he looked up from the Daily Prophet.

THE REIGN OF TERROR HAS ENDED!!!

In a statement stunning the wizarding world, Minister Rufus Scrimgeor has recently announced that ‘Lord…Him’ was defeated in last week’s battle at Hogwarts. Sources say that Harry Potter and his friends were heavily involved with the Dark Lord’s fall.

“Mr. Potter, Aurors, Healers, and trained volunteers fought in the battle that killed the Dark Lord. Death Eaters remain, but we are still hunting for them. We all owe a multitude of thanks to all of these people, not just Mr. Potter.”

-Minister Scrimgeour

Sources have led us to learn that though many of the Death Eaters were killed along with the previously reported deaths of Aurors Mad-Eye Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt, several Death Eaters remain. Though Lucius Malfoy was killed when his own Killing Curse rebounded off of his son, there have already been reports that he and his wife Narcissa (Black) Malfoy have escaped.

“We cannot confirm or deny the rumors that the Malfoys have evaded capture, at this time. We are still in the process of going through the bodies of Death Eaters. If you do see them, however, we advise extreme caution and to contact the proper authorities immediately.”

Auror N. Tonks Lupin

“Mr. Potter wishes to extend his heartfelt thanks to everyone who was at the battle that night. He acknowledges that he dueled with the Dark Lord, but insists that it was only possible through a collaborative effort between the Ministry and vigilant forces. ‘I am glad that the Ministry has taken such great pains to rebuild our world after Voldemort’s destruction.’ He sincerely wishes to continue training to become an Auror with Ron Weasley. Mr. Weasley was field general on that fateful day, last week. Both are looking forward to their futures.”

-Rita Skeeter
Harry Potter’s Personal Press Agent


“Well there isn’t anymore of that old garbage about Harry,” Mr. Granger said.

“Ever since Harry hired Rita, that rag has improved dramatically,” Molly muttered. “More tea, Greg?”

Hermione smiled as Molly and her father went through the morning routine. Life almost seemed foreign after the fall of Voldemort and she knew it was time to grow up. Hermione still missed her mother terribly, but it felt as though it had been a lifetime agao since her death. Hermione and her father were so happy to be alive, with their close friends, that they were quiet anxious to move onto the next phase of their lives. She had already begun looking for a nice flat for her and her father. Hermione knew he was anxious to return to his practice and she would soon be busy with her Healer studies.

They were waiting to hear from a kind woman wanting to let the apartment over her floral shop in downtown London. It was rather expensive, but after Hermione’s mother died, Hermione was able to save her mother’s earnings and had a small account that would sustain her and her father while she went through her training. Once Hermione was a junior Healer, she would be able to pay the bill without much difficulty and was looking forward to the day she no longer had to worry about money.

Ron and Harry were slated to go to the Auror Training Academy in Ireland. They would leave for six months, with a ten-day break during the winter holidays. Since they would have to live in the dorms throughout that time, they decided to put off looking for a new home until after they received their first assignments as Aurors. Tonks was already hinting that they would be assigned to guard Hogsmeade since they were so familiar with the town and Hogwarts.

For the time being, Grimmauld Place was very busy. Verity and Fleur were working everyday, overseeing the reconstruction of Weasleys Wizard’s Wheezes. The destruction of the store left the twins homeless. Now that Fred and Roni were married, Fleur and Verity were working to add a second apartment to give the couple their privacy. They were even considering adding a few small flats to lease out to the Ministry as safe houses.

Though the war was over, it was plain to see that former Death Eaters and like minded persons still ran free. That was reason enough for the twins to offer their services to the Ministry. Though they would have to be certified as ‘Secret Keepers of the Safe Houses’ with the Wizard Protection Agency, Fred and George were happy to be of help. Molly was never so proud of the twins.

Remus and Tonks hurried in and out of the large house. They were staying at the Black family home since rogue Death Eaters destroyed their small cottage after the last battle. Both were busy trying to tie up the loose ends of the war. Tonks had personally overseen every minute detail to the joint funeral for Kingsley and Mad-Eye. Remus was trying to start a bereavement group at the Ministry for all the families who lost people in the last battle. There was also another huge problem. Two children were without homes.

One was an infant little girl. Argus Filch had saved her from the New Year’s attack on Hogsmeade. The child was just above a year now, and her only living relative was a seventy-five year old great aunt. Several witches had offered to take the girl in, but Tonks couldn’t stand the way the women fawned over the child like a victim. This girl was going to grow up with an awful history, but she needed to grow up to be strong.

The second child was a young boy around the age of five. Thadeus Wayse was the half brother of Weston Wayse from Belgium, a junior Death Eater that murdered most of his family. Thadeus had been kicked out onto the streets by his family, days before their murders, because he had been bitten by a werewolf. It was still unclear if anyone in his immediate family was alive, but the social workers hardly cared. In a sick way, the Wayse family saved Thadeus from being murdered. Remus had taken a particular interest in the lad.

Tonks privately confessed to Hermione that she had petitioned to adopt them because she couldn’t have children after the battle in Diagon Alley last summer. The little girl would have stay with her great aunt until another relative could be found, but Tonks was granted emergency guardianship if anything should happen to the girl’s aunt. As it was, the boy was forced to stay at St. Mungo’s until a suitable home could be found for him. Tonks and Remus visited him everyday and they always came back grumbling about how cold and depressing the hospital was.

Hermione knew better than to tell Harry that Tonks couldn’t have her own children, but she did mention that Tonks desperately wanted to adopt young Thadeus. The two friends worked to pull a few strings at the Ministry using Harry’s notoriety.

Hermione smirked when she thought about how Delores Umbridge had flat out refused to further the adoption proceedings because of Remus’ status as a werewolf. Together Hermione, Ron, Harry, Ginny, Percy, and the twins walked into the Minister of Magic’s office. When they told him of her behaviour during her stay as Hogwarts’ High Inquisitor and the fact that they intended to make it public knowledge…Delores Umbridge was last heard squalling from a tiny office that had absolutely no real power. All that remained was for Thadeus to be cleared by the Department of Lost or Abandoned Children. He had a private social worker and everyone waited on pins and needles to hear from her.

The hardest part of the whole affair was the secrecy. Tonks felt she didn’t need to share the information with Remus that they might adopt Thadeus. She wasn’t sure if they would get custody since Remus was a werewolf and knew that he would be heartbroken if he got his hopes up and they weren’t granted guardianship. To make matters worse, Hermione, Harry, and the Weasleys decided that they would lean on the Minister without Tonks’ knowledge. Any day now, the Lupins would get a very big surprise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As part of the Ministry’s attempt to return safety to the wizarding world, Dementors were hereby prohibited to return to Azkaban and were being quarantined in private facilities. The Minister was quick to take action against any Marked Death Eater. Each one had a fair trial, but the Mark and any role in Death Eater activity would generally guarantee a life sentence in Azkaban.

Much to the fury of Minister Scrimgeour, when Draco Malfoy was arrested and imprisoned after the Healers released him, Hermione and Harry began to protest. Though he had the Dark Mark and had been a Death Eater, he had also saved Susan Bones’s life.

After Harry, Hermione, and Susan all testified on the behalf of Draco Malfoy, the Wizengamot shocked the court with their decisions. Draco Malfoy was guilty of being a Death Eater. As such, he was deserving of a fitting punishment but his life saving deeds would come into account. They sentenced him to nine months banishment from the wizarding world. They stripped him of his wand and with an ancient and very mysterious spell, stripped him of all magical abilities. After he returned to the wizarding world, the court agreed that he would be allowed to have his powers back three months later. Draco Malfoy, sentenced to a year without magic, banished from the wizarding world, was sent destitute and alone into the Muggle world.

“I can’t believe that was their decision!” Hermione seethed after she watched Aurors escort Malfoy out of the large hall.

“Well, I suppose it could be worse,” Susan sighed sadly, knowing she wouldn’t likely hear from Draco anytime soon.

Harry and Hermione watched her gather her things and leave quietly. Together, they made their way to Percy’s office. After a brief chat, they left and wandered into Muggle London.

“Hermione,” Harry asked as they strolled down the busy streets, “What have you planned today?”

“I have to meet with my cousin, Ophelia, in an hour. She said there is something she needs to tell me. Then, I’m planning to head over to Mrs. Walker’s to look over the lease for the apartment Dad and I want. Why?” She answered.

“I wanted to visit Aunt Petunia; she just moved into that new flat on Bayberry Street. Would you like to join me?” Harry responded.

“Sure, Harry,” Hermione smiled at him. “Come with me to meet Ophelia and Mrs. Walker, and I’ll come with you to see your aunt.”

They hurried to catch a taxi and get across town. At half past three, they entered the small café. Harry watched Hermione move over to a thin, curvy woman with riotous brown curls. An small little girl sat in a high chair next to her mother.

“Ophelia!” Hermione exclaimed. “Maggie has gotten huge since I last saw her!”

Hermione squealed as the child roughly shook Hermione’s extended finger and then kissed her hand with lots of slobber. Harry and Ophelia laughed at her antics. Maggie was a striking child, Harry thought. She had her mother’s rich brown hair but her eyes were a piercing blue.

“Hermione, it’s been over a year since you saw her. She’s almost three now,” Ophelia explained proudly.

“Ophelia, this is my best friend Harry Potter. Harry, this is my favourite cousin Ophelia and her gorgeous daughter, Magdalena,” Hermione smiled as they shook hands and Harry pinched the babe’s cheek.

They sat to enjoy a few cakes and tea, chatting animatedly about nothing really important. Harry made faces at Maggie while the women ignored him and the girl giggled loudly at him.

“Hermione,” Ophelia finally said heavily, “I have to tell you something.”

Harry could see the worry in both women’s eyes and rested a calming arm around Hermione.

“Last year, I told you David was killed in a car accident,” Ophelia began. “I lied. He was murdered by Death Eaters. David was a Death Eater spy and knew Dumbledore well. I’m a witch. I went to Durmstrang,” she paused letting her shocked cousin swallow the information before continuing.

“When you first started at Hogwarts, Dumbledore came to us and asked us not to reveal our magic to you because he felt that if Voldemort returned to power, he would use our relationship as a means to get to Harry. Dumbledore knew early on that your friendship would be lasting. After David died, Maggie and I went into hiding. I was terrified about the war, paralyzed with fear. What would happen to Magdalena if something happened to me? You are her next of kin.”

Hermione’s eyes were wide with shock. Harry was confused about who David was, but correctly assumed he was Ophelia’s late husband.

“Does Dad know?” Hermione choked out.

Ophelia shook her head. “No, I’m a Muggleborn, just like you. You and I just happen to be related. Since our mothers were sisters, I never told Uncle Greg. I didn’t want him to worry any more than he already had to…You know he always treated me like a daughter after my father died.”

Hermione nodded weakly, taking it all in. She was surprised but not displeased and soon smiled at her cousin. “So, why are you telling me this now?”

Ophelia laughed at her bright cousin. “My work, I planned to tell you soon, now with the war over. But last week I got an assignment that has your and Harry’s name associated with it and I need help.”

Hermione and Ophelia plotted away merrily, even asking Harry for help every now and then. He was thrilled with the sudden change of events and couldn’t help but think that he really liked Hermione’s cousin. Harry listened to the cousins conspire and giggle for nearly an hour before Hermione pulled him away for their next meeting.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once back on the street, Harry sighed. Bayberry was a pleasant neighborhood and he knew Aunt Petunia would be happy here. He had even heard that Seamus was planning to move into a nice flat a few doors down.

Harry smiled up at the window, where his aunt stood waving. The flat on Bayberry St. was small, but very nice. Dudley was still living with her, but was working at a small wine shop not far away. Petunia was happy to be working again. She had found a nice shop on Portabello Road. The owner was pleased to hire her and delighted in the way she looked after his antiques.

As it was, Vernon Dursley had spent several months in the protective custody of the Aurors because of his affiliation with Bellatrix LeStrange and Fenrir Greyback. Since the end of the war, Petunia filed for divorce and Vernon quite literally disappeared into the Muggle world. Harry felt sorry for Dudley, in the way that he lost his father, but Vernon never tried to contact him. Dudley and Petunia rather expected this from him and simply put on a brave face.

After updating Aunt Petunia about everyone’s health and happiness at Grimmauld Place, they were on their way again, once they invited her to dinner that night. Glad to be able to enjoy a day without a guard, Death Eaters, or Horcruxes, Harry and Hermione stepped back into the wizarding world, anxious to hurry their plans along.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12448