Fallen For by peskypetunia



Summary: For the Challenge and For Jaq. Can Harry propose amidst mayhem, Christmas, and goblins? I changed the rating for a few extra innuendos in Chapter 5. Please Review!
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: December Engagement Challenge (2006-6)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2006.12.08
Updated: 2006.12.15


Fallen For by peskypetunia
Chapter 1: December 21
Author's Notes:

For Jaq
December 20th

Harry let the darkness seep into his small flat. He neither bothered to light the room, nor remove his heavy formal robes from the day. For hours he sat undisturbed with his thoughts, and wasn’t pulled from his musings until he heard someone Apparating just outside his door. After a moment of clutching his wand, he sighed silently as Ginny’s tiny frame moved into the dark room and carefully reconstructed his protective wards.

Quietly she moved to the closet, hanging up the robes that matched his. Ron and Hermione had made Harry and the Weasley brothers don refined navy robes for the wedding. Ron was just happy Hermione didn’t want maroon. Ginny worked effortlessly and once each robe had been placed carefully into his closet, she pulled her wrap tight around her shoulders. She started towards his fireplace to floo back, undoubtedly to the Burrow, since she couldn’t Apparate out of his flat because of the wards in place.

Becoming slightly less morose and somewhat more playful, he Summoned her wrap. He revelled in her gasp of shock; smirking as she realized she was not alone.

“Moody would be so disappointed, my dear.” Harry mused, running his hands through the soft fabric of her wrap.

“Says a man that sits in the dark,” Ginny snorted at him, crawling into his lap in spite of herself.

Clearly something was bothering him and she had let him to his thoughts for the most of the night. Now the wedding was over, and she worriedly broached the subject. “Harry, talk to me. You have been in a far off land all day. What’s bothering you?”

“My Ginny,” he chuckled knowing she would see his troubles, “I didn’t mean to worry you. I suppose, I can’t help but think of how much they deserved to be happy. It was hard for me to not think of all the hard times we’ve shared.” He sighed again embracing her tightly before continuing, “I guess, with all this wedding stuff, I got a little lost. It used to be Harry, Ron, and Hermione: The Golden Trio. Then they became ‘Ron and Hermione’ and I was the third wheel. Finally, they were together and happy, but I felt so alone. By some miracle you agreed to be with me again after the war, and you filled that void. I suppose with all this wedding stuff, I got a little lonely for my girl. I missed you these past months. Today, it got me thinking of how we got started. Do you remember our first date after the war ended?”

Ginny nodded with a bemused smile. The twins had decided to stalk them. It was the last Hogsmeade visit in her sixth year, Harry’s seventh. They decided to try a new restaurant and had been desperate for a little privacy. They had found a new shyness that day, and when the twins showed up in matching trench coats, hats, and glasses, the tension broke.

“Remember,” Harry continued, “They were so pathetic, trying to hide behind those old Muggle newspapers? Then you decided to have a little fun?”

Ginny laughed at the memory.

They had been walking down a lane, away from the main streets of the small community in an awkward silence. Neither really knew how to begin the conversation and both were desperate for something to take away their nervousness. It was so rare that they get to be alone, much less in a situation where they might reclaim the feelings they had once had for each other.

It was just another day, Harry had stumbled through the invitation and she had blushed furiously as she mumbled her acceptance. They walked closely in search of the new restaurant Tonks had suggested, and their hands kept brushing against one another. Ginny desperately tried not to count as she hoped Harry would take her hand in his. By the sixteenth time, she was desperate for something to take her attention away from the situation. She grinned ominously as she spied two identical people, standing in an identical manner. The twins were desperately trying to be inconspicuous as they leaned against a building, reading old newspapers.

Spying on her, she was tempted to be mad, but they looked so funny. Harry quietly asked her why she was giggling to herself and she nonchalantly gestured to the twins.

“Care to have a little fun, Ginny?” Harry whispered as he picked a flower from the ground.

“I’m game, Harry, let’s get them good this time!” she hissed back.

She smiled as they stopped and Harry handed her the pretty nosegay. He kissed her hand gently before, pulling her flush against him, dropping her into a deadly dip, and passionately caressing his lips against hers. When he finally righted her, the twins were staring unabashedly as Harry dropped to his knees in the mud.

“Ginny!” Harry exclaimed, “Please, I can’t live without you! Marry me! We’ll live happily ever after!”

“Harry,” she said in a false strained voice, still dizzy from the kiss, “We can’t marry, for you see…I am in love with another!” Acting with relish she turned away from him, with the back of her hand moving to her forehead overdramatically.

“I’ll kill him!” Harry shouted fiercely, “And I’ll kill you too!” he raised his wand ominously at her.

“Oh no, don’t kill me Harry!” she squeaked in very girly voice.

Just then, the twins sprinted forward, tackling into a mud puddle. The three men wrestled for a few moments, until the twins heard Harry and Ginny laughing madly.

After the twins apologized for their spying, Harry and Ginny left them in the mud and walked hand in hand into the restaurant.


Pulling their thoughts back to the present, Harry kissed Ginny lightly on the lips.

“That was the first time you asked me to marry you, Mr. Potter. What would you have done, had I accepted?” Ginny teased.

“I believe I would have been wildly happy with a woman I love. It may have been the first time, but it won’t be the last,” he added mystically.

*******

December 21st
The next morning Ginny squinted at the light reflected off the snow. She was about to head out to Diagon Alley for last minute Christmas shopping. Just as she was about to Apparate, she heard the familiar screech of an owl. Smiling as Hedwig landed on her arm, with a wrapped package and a note, Ginny walked back into the Burrow.

She hastily tore into the note:

My Ginny,
In five days I want to show you exactly how very much I love you.
Harry


Ginny gasped as she remembered Harry’s declaration from the night before, trying not to hope. She was stunned at the beauty of the roses that had been carefully wrapped in soft paper and breathed in the intense aroma of the nosegays.

Mrs. Weasley smiled at her daughter’s delight and read the note over her shoulder.

“Oh my,” Mrs. Weasley mused. “This is going to be an interesting holiday.”

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12345