Lady, Why Must We Bleed? by Kiss Magdalena



Summary: A girl meets her demise on the Hogwarts Express. Someone ended her life, and though many think it is for the best, some just can’t help but think something is just a little too wrong. Was this an act of desperation, or the end result of a slow death?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Hogwarts Express Challenge (2006-3)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2006.06.24
Updated: 2006.06.27


Index

Chapter 1: One
Chapter 2: Two
Chapter 3: Three
Chapter 4: Four
Chapter 5: Crossroads


Chapter 1: One

Lady, Why Must We Bleed?


One

Peace spread over her hands, and then gently swept over her body in gentle swirls. Waves lapped at her feet, like the surf of the ocean, until she was swept away. The darkness that had clouded her vision dissipated so she could make out beads of light in the distance. She was hovering in the air with her pale toes skimming over the ocean underneath.

Plop.

A droplet of water plunged from the starry sky. It hit the water’s surface, sending ripples over her toes. Entranced, she bent forward, dipping a finger into its crystal depths. When she pulled her finger back, it was dry. She glanced down once again, this time to admire her reflection. Long strands of hair danced in the wind while her thin dress billowed around her body. As she moved in closer, her eyes becoming more visible, the surface began to change.

She began to cry as familiar faces danced across the water’s surface. Her tears tumbled down her cheeks and then into the sea, followed suddenly by a downpour of droplets from the sky. The rain pelted her back as she curled into a ball and cried. Her body lingered in the air, floating eerily over the sea of cascading images.

So this was death...

------

“Hello, Neville,” Luna nodded at the boy potting a plant in the third greenhouse. Surprised, Neville looked up to see Ginny and Luna walking arm in arm past the green house. He gave them a weak smile before brushing some sweat off his face. He had spent the morning repotting a lily for transportation to his Graham’s garden. His Grandmother had asked that he bring a plant home for the garden, as a memorial to Dumbledore.

He watched sadly as the two girls moved away, toward the lake. He had heard rumors of Harry and Ginny’s breakup, and neither had squashed those rumors. He knew the moment he saw Ginny’s face that it was true, and that she was taking it hard. More than likely she was walking around with Luna for comfort.

Neville was right. The two girls had been walking for the past thirty minutes, finishing their muffins from breakfast. Luna had found Ginny in Myrtle’s bathroom, sobbing along with Myrtle. The redhead had been drenched from sitting on the bathroom floor near the sinks, crying. Luna had scooped her up, performed a few drying spells, and forced her toward the Great Hall. She had then grabbed two muffins off the Ravenclaw table while Ginny waited outside the doors. Then the two had started walking around the grounds as Luna tried her best to comfort her friend.

“So you think there is more to the story than Harry lets on,” Luna asked lazily, as if the question were as simple as ‘have you packed yet?’

“That’s just it. Harry has not let anything on. I have no clue what is going on, aside from the fact Dumbledore was killed by Snape. Everyone knows that.”

Luna sighed heavily and tugged Ginny toward the lake. “Sometimes I really wonder if Harry is all there.”

Ginny gawked at Luna, as if the statement was purely insidious. "Luna —"

“Wait,” Luna commanded, glaring at Ginny to keep her from talking. “I am not implying that Harry is not smart, I am just saying that right now he is out of sorts. You understand why he did it, right?”

“I would be stupid if I did not, Luna,” Ginny hissed, feeling like bashing her head against a tree just so she could stop thinking for a solitary moment.

“Then there is nothing else I can say to comfort you. At least you know he still loves you.”

“That just makes it worse —"

Ginny was suddenly cut off by a loud whistle from the castle. They both turned to see Seamus waving his arms wildly, motioning for them to come in.

“It must be time to board the train,” Ginny sighed, “It’s a pity that I have to sit with him.”

Luna did not say anything, but gave her a sympathetic smile.

-------

“Get to your assigned compartments! We will be leaving shortly!”

Ginny pushed through the throng of students boarding the train, wincing as the Prefect next to her bellowed instructions. Normally the train would be packed with students, all of them shuffling around and nudging people. Today, however, the crowd was much thinner. Most students had gone home with their parents.

“Ticket, please.”

Ginny paused a moment before the door leading to the second train car, and handed the Prefect her ticket. He glanced at it and let her pass.

“It is the last one on the right,” He informed her, before helping the next student.

The Head Boy and Girl had informed the students they would be assigned seats for the ride home, to prevent any confusion should there be an attack. Indeed, McGonagall had made sure that every student was clear on train safety the day before. The repercussions for not following the rules accordingly had been quite clear in getting the message across. McGonagall was not going to have another accident devastate the school’s reputation.

With a great sigh, Ginny opened the door to her assigned compartment and groaned upon seeing Harry in one of the benches. He was looking out the window, staring at the pentacles of Hogwarts that loomed in the distance. She said a small hello before sitting as far from him as possible. Luna appeared a few minutes later and sat down beside Ginny.

The only sound in the compartment was the occasional rattle of Luna’s bottle cap necklace. Both Ginny and Harry stared blankly at the spot in front of them, too afraid to break the stillness. Luna was either oblivious to the awkward silence, or was completely ignoring it, because she had a peaceful smile on her face. She was reading a copy of the Quibbler.

The silence stretched until the train roared to life. Underneath their feet the floor trembled in pleasure. The train’s whistle hissed loudly and then dissipated. Then, suddenly, another shrill sound rose above the general clatter of the Hogwarts Express.

Someone screamed.

For a second everything froze. Ginny’s heart paused in her chest, Luna’s mouth hung open, and Harry’s hands fell limply to the side. Then everything went into hyper speed. Harry was out of his seat and pulling back the compartment door before either of the girls could figure out what he was doing. Frightened, Ginny followed him into the hallway, her wand drawn. Luna was close behind, her copy of the Quibbler forgotten.

It seemed everyone else in their general vicinity had the same idea. A mixture of Ravenclaws and Gryffindors swarmed into the corridor, glancing around in confusion. It was then that the door beside Harry’s compartment flew open, and a girl no taller than Harry’s thigh tumbled onto the floor. The girl’s mouth was contorted in fear as she scrambled across the floor, her eyes locked on the open compartment.

Harry was the first one to look inside. He let out a loud gasp, and then slammed the door shut. He momentarily closed his eyes, his chest heaving. Then he turned around to lean against the door, forbidding anyone to pass through.

“Everyone out of the way!”

The Head Boy suddenly appeared, pushing the crowd back. His eyes immediately fell on Harry, and then on the door behind him. Something passed between the two boys within that moment — a mutual understanding. Then, without a word Harry stepped away from the door and let the Head Boy enter.

Harry subconsciously drifted toward Ginny, grabbing her hand. She gave it a small squeeze, intuitively knowing he really needed to be comforted. He squeezed back.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Two

Two

Harry, Ginny, and Luna were asked to stay behind after the Head Boy forced the onlookers to return to their compartments. The young man pulled a coin out of his pocket, much like the ones the DA had used to communicate, and tapped it with his wand. He then pocketed it and turned toward them.

“Potter, you are probably not aware of this, but Dumbledore already knew of the attack on Hogwarts, and took some preventative measures to insure the safety of his students. One of these measures included training the Head Boy and Girl in case of emergencies. He informed us, that should anything strange occur at the school after his death, we should contact you for help. Dumbledore explained that you knew certain information about the Dark Arts that would prove valuable. This is why I am asking you to look into this situation.”

Harry froze, his eyes growing wide. “Wait, I do not understand.”

The Head Boy nodded and pulled a scroll from his pocket and handed it to Harry. “I was informed that this should be given to you should a particular event occur. It has, so here you are.”

Harry took the offered scroll, and nearly choked on his own emotions when he noticed the wax seal with an emblazoned ‘D’. It was from Dumbledore, and obviously written sometime ago, for the parchment was an aged yellow.

Dear Harry,

If this note reaches you then it means the plot against my life was fulfilled. Do not fret over me, for I have many happy memories to carry me through to my next destination. The one thing I am sure to regret, however, will be my failure to inform you of certain issues. This letter, imparted to a dear student and a powerful ally, should clarify a few misnomers.

The foretelling of Miss Daphne Greengrass’ death came to me through Miss Trelawney last summer. I was deeply grieved by this information, for Miss Greengrass’ mother had sought my help in preventing the induction of her daughter into the Dark Lord’s rank. Unfortunately, the late Mrs. Greengrass’ death kept any action being taken on that front. However, I received a strange letter from the girl before this school term began, informing me of two horcruxes. The location of one of these, the one in the cave, she was willing to disclose. The other she claimed she would be forced to return to Voldemort safely or it would mean her death. Apparently this particular artifact had a far more menacing curse than the others I have encountered.

You will find great allies in the Head Boy and Girl, whose skills in crowd management and Dark Arts prevention are commendable. Both are top candidates for future Aurors, and very devoted to the cause. They have been informed to give you reign over Miss Greengrass’ case, and to help you in any fashion.

I know little of Miss Greengrass’ assailant, and even less about the circumstances surrounding her death. What I ask you to do is to find her killer, but more importantly, find the horcrux she was to deliver before the train arrives at King’s Cross. That horcrux must not find its way off the train.

On the next page you will find a list of useful spells. Please feel free to enlist the help of your friends, especially Miss Lovegood. Her perceptiveness is rather uncanny.

D.D.

Harry quickly pocketed the note and then pulled out the list of spells. He had only seen a few of them before, most referenced in books, but the descriptions beside them made him feel anxious. How was he going to find the girl’s murderer and the horcrux before they reached Platform 9 ¾? He sighed and then glanced at the Head Boy.

“Okay, is there any way we can keep people calmed down and away from this compartment? Also, I need the help of Hermione Granger and these two.” Harry pointed at Ginny and Luna, who had been watching the exchange quietly.

The Head Boy nodded. “Sophia, the Head Girl, has already put the Prefects to work on crowd control. The students are being forced back into their compartments and given a makeshift story for the time being. We can use the compartment you were just in so the murder scene is not disturbed too much.”

“Hold on, murder scene?” Ginny asked, butting into the conversation. Harry and the Head Boy just nodded at her and continued talking.

“Okay, where should I find Hermione? I know I was asked to lead this investigation, but there is no way I can do this without her help.”

The Head Boy smiled grimly. “Sophia should already have her moving in this direction. As the letter stated, we have been previously informed of this event.”

Harry nodded mutely. “Then what else needs to be done?”

“For now you need to explain what you know to your friends behind you. When Miss Granger arrives she will already have a stack of information including the seating assignments for each student, a list all of the adult passengers on the train and their current condition, and some other useful information. Sophia should also send a friend of hers, another trusted student, who is studying to be a medi-witch. Her name is Catherine, and she should be able to perform some quick tests on the victim.”

The Head Boy then said good-bye and left the three students standing in the hallway, completely baffled. Immediately Ginny started hounding Harry for answers, and he explained all he knew to both inquisitive girls. The only thing he left out was the information on the horcrux, information he had only revealed to Hermione and Ron.

Ginny had been slightly shocked to learn of the girl’s death, but even more surprised to learn that Daphne had been on a track of redemption. Luna, on the other hand, had been mortified by the Slytherin’s death, but not at all surprised that Daphne had turned to Dumbledore for help. Luna’s only comment had been that Daphne had been one of the most understanding people she had ever met. Indeed, Daphne had even given her a small Christmas present for the time Luna unknowingly comforted her in the library. That had been an extremely commendable action in Luna’s opinion.

“Did you know she was dating Terry Boot?” Ginny asked her mind still reeling.

Harry shook his head, staring at the closed compartment door with a wayward expression. “No, I had not heard that.”

“They have been dating for almost a year,” Luna continued wistfully, her eyes glazing over with a memory. “They were so in love. Poor Terry.”

Harry grunted. Despite the information Dumbledore had related to him concerning Daphne’s allegiances, he still doubted her innocence in the matter. After all, she had taken the Dark Mark, something Harry would rather die before ever doing. After Dumbledore’s death, Harry’s belief that a Death Eater would not turn traitor to the Dark Lord's cause only solidified.

Ginny and Luna shot him a dark glare, and Ginny had been about to ask him why he found the relationship something to scoff at, when Hermione interrupted the brewing argument. She had a box tucked under her arm. The brunette looked pale as white lace.

“Sophia already explained everything.”

Hermione pushed them toward their now empty compartment and began pulling stacks of papers out of her box. “I have already set out a plan of action. First we will gather clues around the body after Catherine checks the body. Next we will compile a list of suspects and then question them. After that we will see where the case heads. This should take up to an hour, give or take a little.”

“That leaves us with three hours after the initial questioning,” Ginny commented, twisting her worn watch over her wrist. “Do you think it would conserve time if we split up the interrogations?”

Hermione smiled and nodded. “Good idea, Gin. It would probably be good if we also divided the searching of the body into sections, too. On my way here I managed to stop by Colin Creevy’s compartment to nab his camera. Luna, do you think you could take pictures of the crime scene?”

Luna nodded, and took the offered camera.

“Gin, I want you and Harry to map out the surrounding areas on the train. This especially includes the storage closet in car three. That is where the three teachers and the Trolley Lady were discovered asleep. They are the only adults, apart from the engineer, that are on the train. We need to figure out how they are connected to this crime.”

“Understood,” Ginny answered, and started to get up.

“I will start gathering clues while Luna takes pictures. Please do not leave each other alone. There is a good chance the murderer might strike again, especially as we get closer to solving the case.”

“What if we do not solve the case?” Ginny asked, tugging on a strand of hair. She stared straight at Hermione, feeling like there was something she was not being told.

“We do not have that choice, Gin, but please do not ask me to explain why. It is up to Harry to tell you.”

Ginny turned on her heels to glare at Harry, waiting for an answer. He stared at the wall behind her, wishing for the world she was not so intently focused on him or the answer he could not give her. He knew that the moment he told her about the horcruxes she would want to follow them on their hunt, and he had no logical reason to keep her from following. Already he wished he had not told Hermione and Ron, who were now adamant on following him. So, instead of answering her honestly, he answered in the only way he knew how. He answered with spite, and anger.

“I have already told you I can not involve you in my life, now. These are things that are out of my control. The girl’s murder is only a small piece of the bigger picture, and I need to solve it to find the next piece. That is all I can tell you, and that is more than I should.”

Ginny just stared repulsively at the boy she had dated up to a few days ago. She walked from the room in a flurry of contempt, unable to hold back the surge of hatred that rose in her chest. Harry just watched her go, surprised by her reaction.

“Go after her.” Hermione admonished, glancing up from her work. “And fix whatever you just broke.”

Harry glanced at the brunette, but she turned her head away. Luna snubbed him. Apparently he was doing an excellent job of ticking everyone off today. He sighed and left the compartment, feeling a strong pressure mount in his chest.

------

Hermione and Luna immediately started their work in the neighboring compartment, scouring the crime scene for any information they could gather. At first sight, the two girls had been utterly sickened by the scene. Daphne had not died a bloody death, but it had been a violent one.

While alive Daphne had been a tall, willowy blonde with pale green eyes and milky skin. She had always been striking, and even in death she managed to retain her regal aura. Yet, illness had made her skin thin and blotchy. There were dark circles around her gapping eyes. Her whole body was strung across the floor, limp from struggle. Around her neck were bright blue and purple bruises. There was a small trickle of blood running from the corner of her mouth. It was defiantly a gruesome sight. Luna had to fight back the urge to spill her stomach.

They moved away from the body, and started on the black bag in the baggage racks overhead. A few minutes later Catherine appeared and began to inspect the body. She left about thirty minutes later, after explaining her findings to Hermione and Luna.

“The cause of death was strangulation. The physical signs of strangulation include petechial hemorrhages (tiny purple or red specks caused by bleeding under the skin) and bruises on the neck. Further investigation suggested the possibility of a fractured hyoid bone, and bleeding in the throat. No ligature marks were found on her neck, however. The bruises correspond to the possibility that she was strangled using a chain, perhaps a necklace. I say this, because I noticed a few flakes of gold chain links scattered around the body.”

Luna interrupted, her face suddenly lighting up at the mention of a necklace. “Daphne always wore a long gold chain strung through an old key.”

Hermione scribbled that down on her sheet of parchment.

“I also found a trace amount of toxin in her blood. I matched it against a few common toxins, including plants, and it registered as a form of glycoside. This is commonly found in foxgloves; some lilies; and, ironically, a daphne tree. The dose in her system was not lethal, but it suggests that the victim was poisoned over a long period of time. If she had not died today and gone untreated should would have been dead within the week.”

This information especially excited Hermione because in the black bag they had found a strange vial of white powder, and a few white flowers. Had the killer left the bag behind to make a statement? After all, Daphne’s arm had been exposed to reveal the Dark Mark, leading Hermione to believe that her killer had wanted others to know about her allegiances. Or had it been her allegiances that killed her? Many scenarios were scrambling through Hermione’s brain, none more real that the image of Death Eaters swarming over the dead girl’s body.

“Do you know how we could find out if the flowers we found could have been used to poison the victim?”

Catherine shrugged. “I would think someone interested in herbology could easily make that correlation. All you would need to do is identify the plant and the type of toxin it produces. Then compare it to the toxin in the body.”

“Thank you for your help,” Hermione smiled and shook this girl’s hand. Catherine’s medical expertise had been invaluable. She made a note to thank the Head Boy and Girl for their suggestion.

Once Catherine left, Luna turned to Hermione. There was a pensive look on her face, and Hermione had a feeling Luna knew something she did not.

“I think we should visit Neville. He would know what kind of plant this is, and if it is toxic.”

Hermione nodded. “We will do that after we check over the items Catherine found in the victim’s cloak.”

Back to index


Chapter 3: Three

Three

“What was that?” Harry hissed when he found Ginny huddled in a corner near the girl’s lavatory. Her face was blotchy from a mixture of crying and fury. She looked up at him, her brown eyes veiled behind thick lashes. Her voice was thick from heavy panting.

“You should be asking yourself that same question, Harry.” She croaked, brushing her hair back. “Do you really think like that? Do you think that everyone is born good or bad, and that they should automatically be viewed as such? You can not cast stones at people you do not know!”

“Am I supposed to ask every Death Eater I face on the battle field their reason behind fighting?” Harry screamed back, his face contorting in agony. “Am I to glance over them just because they have a child waiting for them to return home? I can not do that, Gin. They made their choice, and they must be willing to live with the consequences.”

“What about that girl that just died, who gave up her life to help our cause? What about her death? Should you just glance over it because it is not as important in the long run? She was a person, Harry. She had a family that forced her to do something horrible, and she died because she tried to make it right!”

“-But she made a choice!” Harry’s voice echoed off the train wall, and a few of the compartments around them stirred. None of the doors opened, however. “We do not know if she really did give her life for our cause! Everything she did lead to Dumbledore’s death! She gave him the location of a horcrux that just so happened to cripple him enough so Malfoy could attack the school!”

Ginny stared up at him with glazed eyes, and a few tears trailed down her cheeks. Her chest rose and fell heavily, and her breathing was erratic. She ran her hands over her face, and then through her hair as if trying to push all her consuming thoughts away. She was paying him little attention, too distressed to comprehend his words. For a moment Harry thought his chest was going to explode from the anguish filling her soul.

“Gin, look at me,” He commanded, bending down to grab her face. She turned her eyes away from him, and wrinkled her nose in disgust. His heart plummeted. “My future, your future, and everyone’s future depends on the choices I make. I can not afford to let those I love be hurt because all of you are the source of my strength. I will need that when I kill Voldemort.”

Ginny squirmed at the mention of killing.

“Yes, I know that is a horrible thing, Gin. That is why I do not want you involved. Once this is all over, and it will be, I want to forget about it, and I want to know that your heart was preserved. I need that from you, do you understand?”

Ginny let out a sob and pushed his hands away. “I told you before I understood. You need to know, however, that when I am offered the chance to protect my friends, I will not look back. I could not live with the regret if I did not.”

Harry slammed the back of his head against the wall and slid to the floor, a look of misery passing over his features. He opened his mouth to protest, but Ginny cut him off.

“I fell in love with you because I know that no matter how dark things get you will protect the ones you love. You must understand that I am built of that same fiber. You protect me, and I will protect you. That is how it will be when the time comes. You have to trust me, just as I put faith in you.”

Harry stared at her, the fear in his mind growing tenfold. Yet, when he looked at her, her brown eyes wide with determination, he knew there was no negotiation to be made. He also knew that it was this strength that made him love her, and also broke his reserves. He knew that if she followed him down this path, she would surely end up dead.

------

“This is perfect,” Hermione cooed, giving Luna a gracious smile. Luna had just returned with the pictures from the crime scene. She had needed Colin to explain how the images were developed.

“Do you have any theories, yet?” The blonde slid into a seat across from Hermione, and started glancing over the various sheets of parchment scattered around. The brunette glanced up from the pictures and took a sip of hot cocoa before continuing.

“I have a few. I made a quick list of all the items found on the body and the room. I was surprised there was so much evidence. I think that rules out the murderer being an experienced Death Eater. Then again, when I first saw it, I thought it had been a student.”

Luna picked up the list of items Hermione had compiled and glanced over them. Beside each item was a scribbled theory based on its use, or intent. On the Body
1. vile of purple liquid — perhaps sleeping potion? Has the name Zabini engraved; used to knock out teachers
2. syringe — used to inject sleeping potion for immediate effect
3. white gloves — kept her warm (cold from poisoning), has skin and blood samples; attacker possibly scratched?

In the Cabin
4. black bag — belong to attacker?
5. white flowers — identified as Lily of the Valley, toxin is akin to the one found in the victim’s blood stream; Neville claims he spotted Tracey Davis strip his plant of its flowers two weeks ago
6. golden chain links — found on the floor near the body, possible remnants of the murder weapon, a necklace

Others
6. broken gold necklace — gift from boyfriend Terry Boot, now missing from victim; pieces of golden chain links found scattered on cabin floor; bruises on victim’s neck support conclusion she was strangled using her necklace
7. unknown item — possible motive for death; item Dumbledore was searching for; possibly powerful antique

“Looks like a good start,” Luna mumbled, taking a bite out of a cauldron cake. While Luna had been processing photos, Hermione had taken the time to interview Terry Boot and stop by Neville’s compartment. However, the notes of the parchment included no new information. Luna wondered if Terry had been a dead end. “Did you learn anything from Terry?”

“A great deal, actually. Terry was able to back up the fact Daphne wore a necklace, which was a gift from him. Like you said there should be a golden key with it. He explained that the golden key had been a family heirloom, a gift from her dead mother. Daphne had worn it since the summer. He also said he had a copy of the key, made by Dumbledore, that was turned into a portkey to a safe house in Russia. They were supposed to use it once they reached Platform 9 ¾.”

“That is funny, I have never seen him wear it before now,” Luna replied loftily, but brushed the idea off.

Hermione shrugged and continued. “He also gave us more suspects. It appears that Daphne was the one to inject the adults with the sleeping serum before the train was boarded. According to Terry she was supposed to have an important meeting with Pansy Parkinson and Tracey Davis about the special item Dumbledore mentioned in Harry’s letter.”

That caught Luna’s attention. “You mean, Daphne was having a meeting with other possible Death Eaters?”

Hermione nodded. “And, if this artifact is as important as Dumbledore believed, both girls had a strong motive for wanting Daphne dead.”

Luna nodded, and then, suddenly, she realized something. “But Tracey was the one taking the toxic flowers off Neville’s plant. Why would she slowly poison Daphne only to strangle her later?”

The brunette shrugged. “That is what we need to find out. That is not my only led. While I was interviewing Terry I noticed some broken gold chain links.”

Luna’s lofty expression quickly disintegrated. “Are you suggesting that Terry killed Daphne?”

Hermione shook her head. “I am not suggesting anything. It is just something to think about. He was not the only person in the compartment, however. Michael Corner and Cho Chang were also assigned to that compartment.”

The blonde stared blankly at the wall behind Hermione’s head, her head swimming.

“Do not worry about that, Luna.” Hermione insisted. “Right now Tracey has the most points against her. All I need to put her at the crime scene is a fingerprint. I used my compact to dust the black bag, and there were fingerprints all over it. Let us work on finding Harry and Ginny so they can review the case. Then we will go get a fingerprint from the Slytherins.”

The two girls got up and left the compartment in search of Harry and Ginny. They found them near the make-shift medical compartment where the sleeping teachers were lounging. Ginny was leaning against the wall sipping water while glaring at the opposite wall. Harry was beside her.

“Are you feeling okay?” Hermione asked Ginny, who nodded solemnly.

“I was just feeling a bit peaked, is all.” The redhead replied.

“Good. We have made some tracks in the case. I think it would be wise if both of you glanced over our notes while we interview Parkinson, Tracey Davis, and Zabini. Fresh eyes and minds are always good.”

Harry’s eyebrows shot up at the mention of the Slytherins, but said nothing. He started down the hallway toward the crime scene, Ginny trailing behind him.

-----

“I do not understand why I need to stick my finger in an ink pot and then press it on a sheet of parchment,” Tracey Davis complained, her nose so high in the air Hermione could almost count her nose hairs. The Slytherin girl did dip her finger in the ink and made a clear fingerprint, however. Pansy Parkinson had made the same complaint moments earlier, but after a few threats, had complied. Zabini had quickly dipped his finger in ink and pressed it to the paper, too moody to complain. Pansy had snorted at his lack of interest, and called the boy a spineless toad.

“Okay, Luna, pull out the pictures,” Hermione commanded, blowing on the fingerprinted parchment to make it dry faster. Luna complied, pulling out four clear pictures of perfect fingerprints on a black bag.

The two girls bent over the parchment and pictures, comparing the results. Hermione’s heart hammered as she glanced at Pansy and Tracey’s fingerprints. There had been two different fingerprints on the bag. Both fingerprints could be matched to Pansy and Tracey. That put both girls at the scene of the crime. A jolt of excitement flowed through Hermione, and she stood.

“Mr. Zabini, will you please leave the compartment for a moment?” Hermione asked the boy she was sitting next to. Zabini got up without a word, but did cast a spiteful glare at his house mates. Hermione bent toward the two girls once the door shut.

“So, why did you poison Miss Greengrass?”

Back to index


Chapter 4: Four

Lady, Why Must We Bleed?
Four

Ginny and Harry were still pouring over the information when Luna and Hermione returned forty minutes later. There was a smug smile on Hermione’s face that had to mean the case had been solved. Harry immediately slid over to let Hermione sit.

“Did you find the killer?” Harry asked immediately, his interest piqued.

“We solved one mystery, but no, we have not found the killer. It appears the victim had many people seeking to kill her.”

Confusion spread over Ginny and Harry’s face, so Hermione quickly delved into her explanation.

“We fingerprinted Pansy Parkinson and Tracey Davis using powder from my compact, ink, and parchment. When we compared the fingerprints on the black bag to Tracey and Pansy there was a perfect match. Once we confronted Tracey with this information, she squealed. Pansy, on the other hand, refused to talk.”

“Tracey talked? What did she have to say?” Ginny asked, pushing a pile of papers away to lean in closer.

“Tracey admitted to poisoning Daphne with powdered Lily of the Valley. She was dipping the tip of the victim’s quill into the powder. Daphne had a habit of sucking on the point of her quill. Pansy will not admit her involvement in the plot, but Tracey assures us she was hired to poison Daphne. Tracey claims Daphne was in possession of a powerful item that Pansy would have killed to get her hands on. This item would insure Pansy’s favor in the Dark Lord’s ranks.”

“So Pansy killed Daphne. A Death Eater killing another Death Eater to up their status,” Harry hissed.

“Actually, no. Tracey says that she and Pansy were to meet Daphne on the train before students started boarding. Tracey had come into the compartment and found Daphne dead. She panicked and left her bag in the room. Both of us believed Tracey, so we called on the Head Boy to put them under surveillance. Right now they are in body binding hexes, being watched along with the teachers.”

“Well, where does that leave the case, then?” Ginny asked, scrunching her nose in thought. “Who else could possible have the motive for killing Daphne?”

Hermione sighed and glanced at Luna. “There was one other led, though I hoped it would go nowhere.”

Luna’s face fell once she realized what Hermione was talking about. She could not believe Hermione was even considering this course of action. Then again, it really was their only other option. They had already discussed it in private.

“You see, when I went to interview Terry Boot I noticed broken chain links from a necklace scattered on the floor. With Luna’s help, I concluded that the murderer must still be in possession of the murder weapon and Daphne’s key. That could mean that the killer is in that compartment. Terry Boot, Michael Corner, and Cho Chang were the only people present.”

Harry let out a sigh of disbelief. “You know that only one of them was missing from breakfast this morning, right?”

Everyone turned to look at Harry who looked almost sick to his stomach. “No one was allowed to board the train until breakfast was dismissed. As you said, Hermione, Daphne’s time of death was put before everyone boarded the train.”

“Who was it Harry?” Ginny asked, reaching across the table to put her hand over his.

------

They reached Terry’s compartment and opened the door. All three inhabitants were still there. However, they all looked surprised when their room was suddenly overflowing with visitors.

“Something wrong?” Terry asked nervously.

Hermione nodded. “Very. I want all of you to empty your pockets.”

“What?” Michael croaked, but a glance from Terry eventually subdued him. Various items were poured onto the seats, including a gold chain and key.

“This is your copy, right?” Hermione asked Terry. He nodded.

“It is almost identical to the one Daphne wore around her neck, only it is not as ornate or as old.”

Hermione smiled and then walked over to Michael and Cho. There was nothing incriminating in their piles. The girl’s face fell, and she tried to lean in closer to each pile, searching for a golden key. When she leaned in close to Cho, the girl turned away.

“Cho, what happened to your face?”

The girl blanched and tried to put a hand over the mark, but Hermione was too fast. She pulled Cho’s hand away, revealing an ugly gash just over her left eye.

“Empty all your pockets, Cho.”

Cho sank into her compartment seat, tears streaming down her face. She began to hiccup uncontrollably, her whole body shaking. Incoherent babble tumbled out of her mouth. Hermione tried to lean forward, to make out the words, but Michael pushed her away.

“Let me handle this,” he commanded. Hermione moved out of the way and watched in horrified sorrow as Michael pulled his girlfriend into his arms and rocked her gently back and forth. His tone, when he spoke, however, was harsh.

“Where is the key, Cho?” He asked his voice low and commanding, like it would be if he were talking to an upset child. Cho sobbed harder, and clutched at his robes fiercely. Cringing, Michael began to search her pockets, finally discovering the object that Daphne had worn around her neck.

It was a single, antique, gold key.

Michael gawked at it before handing it to Hermione. For a moment Hermione’s heart stopped. The key was defiantly old, for it dated back to the birth of Hogwarts. Hermione had seen this key once before, in the first magical book she ever read: Hogwarts A History. Emblazoned on the top of the key, among the graceful bodies of two eagles, was a large ‘R’. It was the original key to the Great Hall, handcrafted by Rowena Ravenclaw. It would make a perfect horcrux.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Crossroads

Lady, Why Must We Bleed?
Crossroads

She had lost control, finally. Years of pent up anger, hurt, and loss had damaged Cho so much her own morals had collapsed in defeat. She was as banged up as a baby phoenix, and just as vulnerable. The moment in which Cho had strangled Daphne she lost her wits to a plaguing darkness, justifying her actions as compensation for Cedric’s death. The repercussions of the girl’s death held a startling revelation for Cho — love was not always something pure and beautiful.

For Cho love had grown into something akin to a haunting boy that bore away the last of her purity. When Pansy Parkinson, in a towering rage, had ripped the arm of Daphne’s robe off in an attempt to grab the key on the blonde’s neck, Cedric’s corpse had surfaced in Cho’s mind. The Dark Mark had glared menacingly at her, bringing back images she had tried to tuck away in vain. Everything after that was her final release of pain from the degradation of her tarnished soul.

The story of Daphne’s death spread over the train like wildfire. Finally, in an attempt to calm the rumors, the Head Boy and Girl called a meeting. There was still and hour and a half left before they reached the station, and the students were getting anxious. Harry, Luna, Ginny, and Hermione, and a confused Ron, all stood in the crowd, listening to the retelling of Daphne’s murder investigation. Everyone but Harry and Ron had been displeased by the crowd’s reaction to the information. Most of the students had commended Cho for her bravery in tackling a Death Eater. It had made Ginny ill.

Afterward everyone returned to their compartments, a bustle of whispers. Harry had pulled Hermione and Ron away, leaving Ginny and Luna standing guard in front of the crime scene. The initial ending had startled both of them, shaking the foundations of their beliefs in what was good and what was bad. Sometime between the long silence that stretched over them, Ginny spoke.

“Do you think Daphne was a bad person?”

Luna, who had been staring, strangely lucid, at the ceiling, sighed. “There are many different types of people, and I genuinely believe Daphne was a good person in bad circumstances.”

Ginny nodded, and started twisting a strand of hair around her finger. “Harry made a strange comment, earlier. He said that he thought it was a little too convenient that Daphne told Dumbledore the location of a horcrux — whatever that is — which somehow made the Headmaster vulnerable to attack.”

“A horcrux?” Luna asked, shifting to look at Ginny.

The little redhead nodded. “Do you know what that is, Luna?”

“It is the darkest of all magic, they say. My father mentioned it once, when he was writing a article. He got so many howlers from mentioning the possibility that Voldemort was using horcruxes to insure his immortality that he had to ban the use of owls. That is why I use a penguin.”

Ginny looked flabbergasted for a moment. “A penguin, but they do not fly.”

“Tell that to Tux,” Luna replied simply, referring to her ostentatious pet penguin she had mysteriously managed to sneak into Hogwarts. “But we were not talking about aerodynamics. We were talking about horcruxes, remember?”

There was a brief pause as Ginny recomposed. “Do you think that article was true?”

“Most of the howlers came from known Death Eaters. However, it is very plausible, and I think it is very important to note that Harry referenced them while speaking of Dumbledore’s death.”

Ginny’s eyes went wide at Luna’s implication. “The key, the one Daphne had on her! That was a horcrux, was it not?”

“I do not see why it could not be.” Luna replied serenely, leaning back on the wall.

“So why would Daphne have a horcrux, or even know the location of a second one?”

------

“So you think Daphne gave Dumbledore the location of an already stolen horcrux so he would leave the school, become weak, and thus be susceptible to attack? That is a fairly big accusation, especially after Dumbledore’s letter…” Hermione trailed off. Harry had just finished explaining the letter he had received from Dumbledore and his thoughts on the horcrux that was now in their hands.

“Oh come off it, Hermione,” Ron groaned, rolling his eyes at his friend’s over analyzing of the facts. “Dumbledore was wrong about Snape, so why should he be right about this Greengrass girl? I agree with Harry. I think she set him up and then Cho finished her off.”

“Ron! You make it sound so brutal!” Hermione looked sick at his choice of words and glared at the two boys in front of her. She knew they had already decided that the victim’s loyalties had been with the Dark Lord, but for some reason Hermione just could not agree with them. Something had been wrong about her death from the start. The fact it had been preconceived only made that notion nag on her more.

“Well it is brutal! She was a Death Eater. She had the mark! It does not get any clearer than that!” Ron raged, glaring back at her.

Hermione glared at him once more before finally turning her eyes away. Ron smirked, taking this as a sign of her defeat. Hermione stared out the window, watching the droplets of rain scatter across the pane. It had been raining since they arrived in the compartment.

“I need to get some water,” She finally spoke, breaking the boy’s conversation up. They watched her leave, slightly concerned, but did not stop her.

She exited the compartment and was relieved to see Ginny and Luna sitting in the hallway, draped in a companionable silence. They glanced up at her, but said nothing. That is when Hermione realized their group had forced the two girls to sit out in the hallway next to the crime scene while they discussed secret matters, and guilt siezed her.

She knew Harry had not wanted Ginny to know about the horcruxes, and thus had not told her. Hermione had thought this was really a stupid thing to do, after all Ginny might possibly be able to help in the investigation. Tom Riddle had been in her head for a year, after all. Maybe that was what caused Hermione to do what she did. Or, perhaps, Hermione just needed someone who could understand why she was so conflicted since Daphne’s death. She knew that in Ginny and Luna’s confidence, she would find some understanding.

So she told them about Dumbledore’s death, the horcruxes, and everything else she could recall. Then, the thing that had been weighing down on her all day finally came out, pouring from her mouth like tide.

“I think something else is going on with Daphne’s death, and I think it has to do with the horcruxes. I think she knew more than she was willing to tell, and I think her death was her way of completing that mission.”

Both girls stared at her with wide eyes, not sure how to take this admission. Ginny was the one to speak, however.

“You think that Daphne planned her own death so Harry could find the other horcruxes?”

Hermione nodded. “And I think she left a few clues behind to lead us to the next few.”

-------

Daphne slowly unfolded her body, stretching toward the water as the rain suddenly stopped. The images passing over the water were slowly blurring as the ocean churned. She had seen enough of her own death, had come to accept she was no longer human. Her life had drawn to a close with the revelation of her murderer, but most importantly, the finding of Rowena Ravenclaws’ key. There really had been no other way for the horcrux to remain in safe hands without her death. She had known this when Dumbledore died.

Or maybe she had known this long before the Headmaster’s death.

She twisted her head to the side as one final image flickered across the water. It was of Terry Boot sitting alone in his compartment, grieving his loss and dealing with the pain that followed Cho’s betrayal. She felt the sudden urge to reach down toward him, to fall into the water and revel in being able to touch him again. She wanted to tell him it was not Cho’s fault that she had never fully recovered from Cedric’s death.

None of these things could be, however. She was dead now, and intangible to the living. She cried once more for her lost life, and this time, instead of hovering alone in the darkness, other weeping figures began to materialize.

Slowly, ever so slowly, a pair of alabaster wings began to sprout from her back to eclipse her in a feathery cocoon.

---------

The train arrived at Platform 9 ¾ an hour after the investigation ended, and a new chapter in Ginny and Luna’s lives began. Aurors had swamped the train shortly after, prodding the students for the next hour about the murder. The group of girls had exited the train, exhausted from questioning, but ready to delve into the mystery that still surrounded Daphne Greengrass’ death. They had just descended the steps when Harry’s head popped out of a train window, asking to speak to Ginny.

Surprised, Ginny turned around and boarded the train. Harry met her halfway down the hall before stopping. He watched her approach slowly, a grim smile on his worn face.

“There is no way I can keep you safe, is there?”

Ginny shook her head grimly, and walked into his waiting arms. They engulfed her, surrounding her in warmth as he pulled her tightly. They swayed gently in the hallway, Harry’s chin resting on her head. It was a comforting gesture that soothed all of the pain from the past two days and left her breathless and aching for more.

He pulled away and tugged on a strand of her hair. For a second she felt guilt tugging on her heart as she stared at the boy she loved. She felt guilty because in a few minutes she would step off this train and join Luna in a search for answers to the puzzle Daphne’s death had created, and Harry would know nothing of the plan. There was also guilt for leaving him behind, to find his own destiny.

Ginny was the one that turned away from him and walked off the train. Her trail of red ribbons flapped in her wake, reminding him of lapping flames in the hearth.

Little Lady, all coated in red,
You bled out the mouth,
And slumbered in your bed,
The fools call you worthless,
Your beloved grieves your death,
And we wonder why your blood was shed

-----------------------------------

AN: I pictured this whole story differently. Alas, that story died a tragic death, and this was born. It is a background story for an epic fanfic, The Virtuous and the Jaded, and was more an exploration into its characters and their motivations. So if you would like to discover what adventure awaits Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Luna's penguin Tux, then be on the look out for that comming fanfiction. Otherwise, I hope I did not do too much damage to your brain cells.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=11774