Search:

SIYE Time:15:21 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blame It On The Mistletoe
By lucky_black_cat

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 29
Summary: The more Ginny tells herself that she and Harry are just friends, the more she wants to be something more. Ginny's POV.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6301







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, They're all JK's - lucky woman. All I own is the plot and Laura Hopkins.





BLAME IT ON THE MISTLETOE
by lucky_black_cat





It’s about midnight when I finally manage to tear myself away from the claws of my dormmates. Their famished bodies are always hungry of gossip, and they’ve taken a liking to questioning me. It takes all of my will power and self-control not to hex them into next week. How many times do I have to tell them that Harry and I are just friends? Well, it seems that I still haven’t told them enough times. Sigh. I’ll have to keep at it. But not tonight, oh no. Tonight is Christmas’ Eve, and I’m not going to spend it with them if I can help it. Oh no. Not for a thousand Galleons.


So I excuse myself from the room using a polite tone I didn’t know I possessed and go down to the Common Room.


I linger at the lowest step for a while, just looking around me. Almost everyone has gone up to bed by now. They’re no fun, you know.


But three people remain there.


Ron has gotten a hold of a bottle of Firewhiskey (don’t ask me how — I don’t know, and I’d rather never find out) and is opening it now under Hermione’s disapproving looks. Harry, however, is watching Ron’s expression with amusement. My brother looks like a child that’s been given a new toy. But I don’t look at him for long, because my eyes betray me as usual, and they drift off to Harry, even when I tell them not to gaze at him. I can’t control them. They have a will of their own. I can’t stop them.


Or maybe I don’t want to.


In any case, I find myself admiring Harry. He looks so carefree, so natural, so happy. I have to smile. It’s not every day that you see Harry like this, living a normal life. I love watching him. His raven black hair is messy as ever, of course. I love Harry’s hair. I’m glad Harry hasn’t succeeded in flattening it yet: it makes him look really attractive.


Attractive?


Where did that come from?


Bad Ginny, bad Ginny! You’re supposed to be over him! You don’t like him anymore… do you? Okay, so what if you like him just a little bit? As a friend. I mean, can’t you have friends who you think are attractive? All your friends don’t have to be ugly, for Merlin’s sake! Ok, that’s better. Just friends, yep.


We’ve become really close since the summer after Harry’s fifth year. Ron and Hermione are an item now, so Harry often hangs out with me. At first he did it because he wanted to give Ron and Hermione some space, and he didn’t want to be alone, but then he began to seek my presence, even walk me to classes, help me with homework… isn’t it sweet? No! Bad Ginny! It’s not sweet! It’s just a sign of your friendship, that’s all! Because we’re just friends, no matter how many people think we’re something else! We’re nothing more than friends!


But oh, how I wish we were.


And my eyes still haven’t left his features. They now focus on his bright green eyes. They’re twinkling merrily behind his glasses, smiling. I know he must be so tired of hearing it, but his eyes are beautiful. Gorgeous. Perfect. I could look into them for hours and never get tired. Sigh.


Ron takes the bottle and drinks a great gulp. He starts coughing, and Hermione shouts “Honestly!” and sits down in the opposite corner of the room, away from Ron’s “unacceptable behaviour”.


Ron shouts “Bloody brilliant, mate!” and Harry laughs. And so do I. You’ll have to admit the situation is quite comical.


Harry has heard me. He turns his head, and when he sees me, he gives me a dazzling smile, that kind that makes you go weak at the knees. Hermione looks back and forth between us, arching an eyebrow. I shake her smug expression out of my head and, smiling back at Harry, I go and sit next to him.


“Hey guys” I greet them. “How’s that, Ron?”


Ron smiles and says “As great as I always thought it would be. It kind of burns your throat at first, but the taste is worth it. I would give you a bit, but you’re my sister and you’re underage. Mum would have kittens.”


I scowl. “Ron, you’re not of age either!” I don’t really want Firewhiskey, but at least he could have the decency of thinking up a proper excuse.


Ron shrugs. “I’ll be in March. That’s only three months. There’s no difference really.”


“Git” I mutter, and sit back. Harry’s watching me amusedly, his lips twitching upwards.

“What?” I snap, trying to hide my own nagging smile.


He opens his mouth to speak, but then seems to think better of it, and closes it again. “Nothing” he says, shaking his head.


Now he’s really picking my curiosity. What was he going to say? “Tell me!” I say, looking at him expectantly.


He laughs and says “Really, Gin! It doesn’t matter. Just nonsense.”


Now, this is frustrating. “Do you think you can make me curious and then leave me hanging?”


He smirks, clearly amused. “Yes” he says.


“Fine!” I retort angrily, and go off to where Hermione is. Argh! How he infuriates me sometimes! And still I want to hold him and kiss him and… no, no! Bad Ginny!


Hermione and her “I-know-what-you-are-thinking” look are waiting for me in a couch in the far corner of the Common Room. I sit down next to her, and she looks at me expectantly.


“Well?” she asks.


“Well what?” I’m confused. What is she on about?


“You know what!” says Hermione, raising her eyebrows.


“No, I don’t” God, she’s making me feel stupid now.


Hermione rolls her eyes.


“Really, Ginny, sometimes you’re as thick as those two!” she says, frowning at Ron, who’s drinking directly from the bottle, and Harry, who’s rolling over in laughter. He looks so cute… no, no, no! Bad Ginny!


“So, are you going to enlighten me or not?” I ask.


Hermione sighs and looks at me.


“Isn’t it obvious?” she asks. Gee, Hermione, thanks a lot. My self-esteem will be rounding the dungeons by the end of this conversation.


I must look like I don’t have a clue, because Hermione opens her mouth to explain.


“What’s going on between Harry and you?”


AAARGH! NOT AGAIN! When will this end? Because it’ll end, right? RIGHT?


“Nothing’s going on between Harry and me! We’re just friends!” I say, for the umpteenth time today.


“Are you sure?” asks Hermione.


I frown. “Of course I’m sure! I may be a little clueless at times, but I still know when I’m going out with someone.”


Hermione tries to repress a smile. “That’s not what I meant.”


“Then what did you mean?” I ask. Could someone hand me a map, please? I’m getting lost.


“Harry can’t take his eyes off you, Ginny.”


I must be hearing things. Oh God, oh God. Breathe in, breathe out, Ginny. Calm down. But Harry… Harry looking at you? All the time? What the hell… this is wonderful! Let’s make today a national party! Oh wait, it already is… but I need to express my happiness somehow!


I don’t think Hermione was expecting me to hug her. Oh well. She hugs me back anyway. When we pull apart, Hermione is… giggling! Oh good heavens! Since when does Hermione giggle?

I look at Harry, and he hastily looks away. He was staring at me !


“You were right” I say, giggling too.


“Of course” she says proudly, leaving her giggling aside. I knew it wouldn’t last long. “So what are you going to do?” asks Hermione.


I swallow hard. “What do you suggest, miss Prefect?” I ask indignantly, trying to hide my nervousness.


“Well, you could “accidentally” stand under the mistletoe. That way maybe he’ll kiss you.”


“What if it’s Ron that kisses me? He might as well do it, seeing the amount of alcohol running through his veins in this instant” I say. It’s true: Ron has drunk ¾ of the bottle of Firewhiskey, and seems about to reach the point where you forget you’re surrounded by people and you have a reputation to take care of, and you go on and start dancing the “Funky Chicken” on top of a table. Bless him.


Hermione scowls. “Right. You know he should stop drinking, I’ve told him already, but he won’t listen. He says one of his dreams is to try Firewhiskey, and I feel bad taking that away from him…”


This girl is going soft on old age. Really! “Oh, he tried Firewhiskey alright. But he’s drunk almost the whole bottle already!”


Hermione sighs. Then she eyes me closely and snaps “You’re changing the topic! We were talking about you and Harry, remember?”


Oops. “Right” I say. “Let’s see, Hermione… there isn’t that much to say about Harry and me. Just that we’re friends, we walk back from Quidditch practice together, we make fun of his fans together, and basically we talk and help each other. We’re just friends.” I sigh. “That’s all we’ll ever be.”


Hermione looks at me sadly. “But that doesn’t stop you from wanting to be more than “just friends”, does it?”


Never met a brighter witch. Never will.


“It doesn’t” I answer. “Merlin knows that sometimes it’s hard to be just friends… like when he holds you or hugs you or gives you his cloak so you won’t be cold… or when he whispers in your ear something about someone in the vicinity so they don’t hear… it’s so hard not to lose control and tell him how I really feel… how I long to be more than just friends with him…” I sigh. There, I said it. I’ve opened up. I’m vulnerable as I’ll ever be.


“Ginny… I’d swear he feels the same way.”


I look at Hermione like she’s gone mad. “There’s no way he’d like me like that, Hermione! He can’t take his eyes off me, alright. I saw him staring at me. But… like me that way? Impossible. It’s just too good to be true.”


A tear is running down my cheek. No, Gin! Don’t get sentimental!


“Why won’t you believe it, Ginny?” asks Hermione quietly.


“Because if I do, I’ll feel happy, and then if it isn’t true I’ll be disappointed. Worse than disappointed. Heartbroken — again. I don’t think I’ll be able to stand that.” Suddenly I don’t feel like talking to Hermione anymore. I can’t stand the way she looks at you, like she understands — but she doesn’t. I don’t want her pity. I don’t want anybody’s pity. “Merry Christmas, Hermione.” I get up, ready to go to my dormitory again. But he’s voice makes me change my mind.


“Hey, Gin!” he calls out. I love it when he calls me Gin. He makes it mean something. He says it lovingly, he makes it beautiful. I can’t not go, can I?


Not like I want to be away from him.


Ever.


“Hi, Harry” I say, smiling as I sit next to him. I don’t want him to realize I’ve been crying. But he realises. He always does. He always knows when something’s wrong. He looks at me concernedly.

“Are you alright?” he asks. I melt. What’s the point in saying over him? I’m not. I might as well get past the “Denial” stage. Sigh. I shrug.


“You’re not” he says, really concerned. He’s so sweet. I jump into his arms and hug him, sobbing on his shoulder. He holds me tenderly, and he whispers soothing words in my ear. Now I’m starting to feel better. Meanwhile, Ron sings “The Hookey Cookie” (way out of key, if you ask me) under Hermione’s disapproving glance. But I couldn’t care less. I’m in Harry’s arms. That’s all that matters.


“Why did you cry?” he asks.


“I’m confused.” I hope he doesn’t ask any farther. I can’t lie to him. Or maybe it’s that I’m tired of liying.


“Can I help you there?” he asks, pulling apart, and giving me one of those wonderful smiled that I like to think he reserves for me only.


“I don’t think so. I’ve got to sort out this one on my own. But I’ll let you know when I’ve made up my mind.” I smile back at him. I really feel good now. Funny how he’s the reason why I cry, and at the same time the only one who can stop the flow of tears…


“Care to watch your brother’s little show with me? It could cheer you up, I reckon.” He says.


I laugh. “Sure. I’m certain that his little act will provide me with plenty of blackmail material.” I can’t stop this evil grin from spreading over my face. I’m going to enjoy this.


Harry laughs: music to my ears. “And I always thought you were sweet and innocent.”


I turn to look at him. “Why, Mr Potter?” I tease. “Are you suggesting I’m not sweet or innocent?”


He smirks. “Sweet, alright. But definitely not innocent. No one can share Fred and George’s genes and still be innocent.”


I grin. “Ok, I’m not so innocent. But in life, you’ve got to take risks if you want to have fun.” Where did that come from? Am I flirting with Harry Potter?

He’s blushing to the roots of his hair, but he seems determined to play along. Oh my. “Do you have any evidence to prove that?” he asks suggestively. I think I’m matching him colour for colour.


“Oh, I don’t know” I say, tracing patterns on his chest with my finger. When did I become so bold? I don’t know… but I definitely like it! To hell with pretending! “It’s hard to think properly here. Too many distractions.”


Harry swallows. He cocks an eyebrow at me. He’s going to say something, but then he grabs me and brings me up with him, away from the couch. I look at him blankly, but then I look back at the couch and I understand. Ron is now dancing on our couch. He probably doesn’t know we were there a second ago.


“I’ll get him back” I mutter angrily. He’s blown my successful flirting with Harry! “He’ll never know what hit him.”


Harry laughs. “You’re scaring me, miss Weasley.”


I smirk. “Ho, ho, ho! Is the great Harry Potter scared of the innocent Ginevra Weasley?”


“I thought we had agreed you aren’t innocent” he says teasingly, raising his eyebrows.


“I think we’ve had this conversation before” I say.


“We have. You were about to give me evidence to support your statement.”


“But I can’t think properly. Why don’t you try to give me evidence of my theory?” I say suggestively. God, I haven’t drunk anything, have I?


“Are you sure, miss Weasley?” he asks in a slightly breathless voice which I find incredibly sexy.


“I wouldn’t ask you if I wasn’t sure, Mr Potter” I say, cocking an eyebrow at him.


“Fine then. I hope you know what you’re getting yourself in for.”


He wraps his arms around my waist, and I put mine around his neck. He comes closer… I can feel his breath on my lips now… and it doesn’t smell like Firewhiskey! He’s sober! He’s kissing me of his own free will!


His lips finally meet mine. I have dreamed of this moment for ages, but it’s ten million times better than my dreams. Because this is real.


I run my hands through his unruly black hair as the kiss deepens. God, I’ve always wanted to run my hands through his hair. It’s thick, yet so soft…


I am vaguely aware of the sound of Hermione cheering. But I don’t care…


I realise we’re staggering backwards. Then my back’s against the wall. I’m kissing Harry! I don’t give a damn where the walls are!


I feel the need for air. I wish I didn’t have to breathe. I want to stay like this forever… but oh well, it couldn’t last forever. We break apart, and I open my eyes to find his looking deep into my soul. His eyes are on fire: a fire of emerald flames. I smile.


“Was that your evidence, Mr Potter?” I ask.


And then I see it in his eyes. Fear. He’s afraid I’ll reject him. Really, how could I reject him of all people? Next time Hermione says I’m as thick as him, I’ll have to hex her until she takes back her words.


“Well, I don’t know. I only did it because we were standing under the mistletoe.”


I look up, and there’s a spring of mistletoe hanging from the wall.


“Now we are” I say. “But we definitely weren’t when you kissed me.”


He looks down. Really!


“Look at me, Harry” I say. He looks up. “It was bloody brilliant! And you blame it on the stupid mistletoe? Where’s your Gryffindor courage?” I can see the smile tugging at his lips. “So much for Gryffindor bravery! Look at me! I don’t need the mistletoe.” I take the mistletoe down and throw it to the floor, then step on it furiously. Harry laughs. “What did the poor thing do to you?”

“I don’t like mistletoe.” I say. “I don’t want an excuse for doing this.” And I kiss him again. How could he ever think I’d reject him?


When we break apart, he looks into my eyes and says “Gin, I like you a lot. The better I get to know you, the more I find myself falling for you. I’ve tried to tell myself it would ruin our friendship, but my heart won’t listen. I want to be more than friends. I want to stop pretending you’re just another friend. Gin, will you be my girlfriend?”


Wee!! Let’s throw confetti! This is great!


“Of course. I couldn’t say no to you. Besides, I owe you for helping me sort out the feelings that were confusing me.”


He smiles.


I hear the sound of squealing girls. Oh no! Don’t tell me they’re here too! I can’t hide from my roommates. They’re everywhere! Argh! I bury my face in Harry’s chest, and he laughs.


“Who are they?” he asks.


“Greatest gossips in the school, a.k.a. my roommates.”


He sniggers. “What are they doing here?”


Laura Hopkins (Chief Gossip) takes it upon herself to answer.


“We followed Ginny because we wanted to know if she was telling the truth. She said there wasn’t anything between you two!” The other girls break into fits of giggles. Hermione is watching them with contempt, and I have to share her opinion. Oh, how I’d love to throttle them! Why did they have to break the charm? Why?


“That’s because there wasn’t anything between us when you asked!” I state the obvious, maybe a bit too bitterly. I hope they have enough brain to understand that. If not, they’re more stupid than I thought they were, and hey, that’s saying something.


Harry laughs. I think he’s finding the situation a little bit too funny. Funnier than it is, anyway. But oh well, I couldn’t get mad at Harry. I just haven’t learnt how to do that yet.


“Come on Gin. Let’s give them something to talk about.”


I smile evilly. “Your wishes are orders for me, Mr Potter” I tease him.


And here we are, kissing again. And I never thought I’d be kissing Harry Potter surrounded by my roommates’ squeals, and Ron’s voice singing “On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me…” in the background. Not even in the weirdest of my dreams.





Fin







A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU! I know it's late, but oh well, better late than never don't you think? Please Read and review! Love, Sonia (lucky_black_cat)

Reviews 29
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear