Search:

SIYE Time:13:59 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Weasley Curse
By Saint Paul

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Humor, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 55
Summary: Harry and Hermione learn of a terrible curse that has afflicted every Weasley since time immemorial. (One-Shot, very short)
Hitcount: Story Total: 7822







ChapterPrinter


I don’t own any of these characters, some now-cannon pairings had to be switched around for the story to work, so I made it AU... um, yeah that ought to do it.



The Weasley Curse
By Saint Paul


"Sit down Harry, Hermione" Ron’s face was surprisingly solemn, as was Ginny’s, though her eyes had a spark of humor in them, so I knew it couldn’t really be anything serious. Well, at least nothing Life threatening.

After a quick, confused, glance at each other, Hermione and I sat on the couch opposite the two siblings. There was a moment of silence, before Ginny nudged Ron sharply, clearly indicating that he should begin discussing... whatever it was they wanted to discuss.

"Look you two; we, Ginny and I that is, have decided that since we’ve... you know..." He fumbled for a moment, as if searching for the right words.

"Been dating them Ron, you can say it." Ginny said with a roll of her eyes. A look that I, after having dated the girl for almost half a year, was fairly familiar with.

"Yes, that, exactly. Anyway, we feel it’s time we told you of the Weasley family curse."

I felt, rather than saw, Hermione stiffen next to me and heard her sharp intake of breath. "A curse?" I wondered. And here I was beginning to think it wasn’t serious...

"Yeah." Ron muttered. Then, as if he’d noticed our worried looks; "Don’t worry it’s nothing deadly or anything... more annoying really." He broke off with a sour look on his face

"So..." Hermione prodded. "What’s the curse?"

Ginny’s eyes darted to either side, as if checking to make sure no one was listening. Leaning in conspiratorially, she whispered. "Red hair."

There was a moment of confused silence as we two brunettes digested this information. "Wait, what?" I wondered.

"Red hair, Harry. Everyone in our family has red hair."

"Well... yeah. So what?"

Ginny said. "I mean Literally every Weasley. Even spouses." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a wizard photo of a young woman, possibly in her late teens, early twenties, with curly black hair.

"Who’s that?" Hermione wondered, taking the photo from Ginny.

"Our mother." Ron said flatly. "Before she married dad."

"But... but she’s..." I spluttered

"Raven haired, yes." Ginny finished with a small smirk on her lips. "My grandmother was a blonde, you know. Then they both married Weasley men and POOF redheads, the both of them."

"How... how did your family get cursed?" I asked with apprehensive interest.

"Nobody knows. for sure." Ron answered this time. "The curse has been on our family for a long time, since before Hogwarts even. There’s been a lot of different stories passed down. One was our ancestor got on the wrong side of a redheaded witch, one says it was a prank gone horribly wrong."

"That’s the twins favorite" Ginny interjected

"One says it was a failed attempt at a hair changing spell. We don’t really know."

Hermione and I looked at each other, were they serious? We silently asked one another, or was this just another Weasley prank.

I looked away and thought about it. So far, of the Weasley boys only Bill and Percy were married. Percy had eloped and I hadn’t seen Penelope since she had graduated from Hogwarts. So it was possible that she was a redhead now. Bill’s wife Kathleen, on the other hand, did have red hair. However, since she was a fellow curse breaker that he had met in Egypt, I couldn’t be sure that she hadn’t always been that way.

I glanced at Hermione again. She was absentmindedly fingering one of her curly brown locks, no doubt wondering what she would look like as a carrot-top. Despite my best efforts an image of redheaded Harry popped into my brain. I had to wonder if I would look "extraordinarily like my father" if I didn’t have his hair?

Regardless, that was the first I heard of the Weasley family curse, and I wasn’t all too sure I believed it either. The topic of conversation eventually changed when Ron and Hermione challenged Ginny and I to a game of chess, which we readily agreed too, and for awhile, curses were forgotten.

My next reminder of the Weasley curse came a few months later with the marriage of Charlie Weasley to Nymphadora Tonks. It was over Easter Break and we were all back at the Burrow helping to prepare the garden for the wedding reception when the subject of the Curse came up.

"Curse? Yeah Charlie told me all about it." Tonks scoffed. "I’m not too worried about it, I can change my hair color at will, remember?" And, as if to remind us, she shook her head and her hair turned sky blue and lengthened to the back of her knees. I glanced over at Mrs. Weasley. She caught my eye and winked at me, apparently she seemed to think that the curse would win out over the young Metamorphmagus.

The wedding went off without a hitch, up until the officiator’s "I now pronounce you Man and Wife." and as soon as Charlie Kissed The Bride, there was a small crack and Tonks hair turned a vibrant shade of natural red.

There was a small ripple of laughter along the groom’s side. I wondered for a moment if Tonk’s had done it on purpose, for a laugh. It had looked for a moment that she hadn’t even noticed the change. It also didn’t look like Charlie was about to point it out to her either.

It turns out Tonks hadn’t noticed the difference. In fact it took the backside of a spoon during the reception to show that anything had changed at all. I watched, while the rest of the wedding guests milled about unaware, as Tonks screwed up her face and turned her hair into a shimmering wave of neon green, a look of triumph on her face as the change took place.

I also saw that look melt like a candle when, not five seconds later her hair faded back into that same natural red. She grit her teeth and her hair became her trademark bubble-gum pink, again for about five seconds or so, before once again becoming the auburn locks that all Weasleys are known for. As I watched, something akin to fury shown in her eyes. She scrunched up her face and her hair became a wild kaleidoscope of shifting color. Blue, green, purple, pink, black, blonde, brown, gray, silver, orange, and colors I didn’t really have a name for flashed through her hair. As if she were trying to outwit or outrun the hair-color hex that plagued her brand new family.

Finally she collapsed into the chair next to Charlie, though her hair was as stubbornly auburn as it had been when she’d sealed their marriage with a kiss. Charlie, with an indulgent smile on his face, leaned over and gave her a small peck on the cheek. "Let it be love," He said. "Some things are just not worth fighting." So that was my first encounter with the dreaded Curse of the Weasley Clan. First, but certainly not the last. Oh no.


The next time the curse reared it’s ugly head was, of course, at the double ceremony of Fred and George. Who were wedding their school-age sweethearts Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet respectively. Alicia had long blonde curls and Angelina still had the familiar braids of darkest black that she’d worn while she was in school. I couldn’t help but be curious as to how they would each look as redheads, (especially Angelina with her dark skin) for surely that was what they would become as soon as the wedding was over. I’d seen the effects of the curse first hand, as much as it pained me to admit it, I was a Believer.

The weddings went fine and, true to Fred and George, ended with many a bang and explosion. When the dust settled, there at the altar were four ginger haired young people. Alicia took her new status as a carrot-topped with good humor And, while it did look striking and not the least bit odd, I had to admit that the redhead look worked rather well for Angelina.

And so... the years past and the seasons changed and the lot of us graduated from Hogwarts, and pursued our lofty dreams among the working world. It wasn’t too long before there was another rush of excitement in the Weasley household. Ikkle Ronniekins was getting tied down (as the twins so eloquently put it.) And, of course, his paramour was none other than Hermione Granger. Who is now the Redheaded Hermione Granger. I swear it made her temper all the worse.

She and Ron have had some spectacular fights since that day. Spectacular, and dangerous.

And so, gentle reader, we come to the finale of the story. All the Weasleys had been married off. All save one. Ginevra, the first female Weasley born in countless generations. ...But don’t tell her I called her Ginevra, she hates it. Absolutely hates it.

So the question of the day on our wedding day was, of course, what would the Famous Harry Potter look with ginger hair? The gathered crowd waited with baited breath through the blessedly short ceremony (It was blazing hot out, who decided we should marry in early August? Certainly not me.) We leaned in to kiss each other at the end, and I felt a slight tingle at the back of my neck. That must have been it. That was the curse working it’s strange magic on me.

We broke the kiss and turned towards those assembled. All of whom were sitting in stunned silence. Silence, which was broken by Fred or George, "Blimey who would have thought that?"

It was then that I turned to look at Ginny. She seemed fine. Except for the cascade of raven locks surrounding her face.


Fin.
Reviews 55
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear