Search:

SIYE Time:10:44 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Saying Goodbye
By almost missing you

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: The last moment between Harry and Ginny in HBP from Ginny's point-of-view. (One-Shot)
Hitcount: Story Total: 3961







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all associated characters belong to J.K. Rowling. Since the words spoken between Harry and Ginny in this story is their dialogue from the book, that belongs to her as well.




Ginny Weasley watched the centaurs melt into the trees as the last of their arrows thudded softly into the grass behind the crowd of mourners. It was, she thought, a fitting tribute to mark the loss of one of the greatest wizards the world had ever known.

A sharp pain stabbed at her heart at the very thought of Dumbledore. During her first year at Hogwarts, he had been very kind and understanding about the events that had transpired. He had been formidable, yet sympathetic and almost every student, or at least every Gryffindor, had come to love him. And now he was gone. Forever. For a moment, Ginny feared that a new wave of tears would overtake her. In an attempt to fight back the overwhelming sorrow, she stared fixedly at the spot where the centaurs had disappeared into the woods.

Ginny stilled and sat up straighter. A sudden awareness had came over her. Her heart skipped a beat, and she knew that something was about to happen. Not only that, but she knew what was coming. She turned her intense gaze upon Harry Potter, met his eyes, and knew what he was going to do- what in his mind he had to do. Well, she thought. I knew that this was going to happen. It will not hurt. It will not hurt. It will not- Yet Ginny knew that she was lying to herself. As heartbreak threatened to overwhelm her, she took a deep breath and tried to steel herself against the pain. She knew why he had to do this. She just wished that he wouldn’t. She could harbor that secret wish in the depths of her heart, could she not? But still…he had yet to speak and it hurt, as if a hundred arrows pierced her heart all at the same time.

She could see her pain reflected in his eyes.

Harry took a deep breath and quietly spoke. “Ginny, listen…I can’t be involved with you anymore. We’ve got to stop seeing each other. We can’t be together.”

Well, there it was. She could barely hear the shuffling of the others surrounding them over the sound of her world crashing down on her. She struggled to breathe. It felt like all of a sudden like she was drowning, set adrift at sea without any thing to hold on to. She wanted to scream. She wanted to cry. She attempted a smile instead.

“It’s for some stupid, noble reason, isn’t it?” She already knew the answer to her own question. She already knew that it was for some, stupid, noble reason. But hadn’t she decided to be noble as well? She was going to let him go. Not because she wanted to, but because he needed her to.

Something flashed in Harry’s eyes. “It’s been like…like something out of someone else’s life, these last few weeks with you. But I can’t…we can’t…I’ve got things to do alone now.”

But you don’t have to do it alone, thought Ginny. You’ve got Ron and Hermione. You’ve got me. But she couldn’t say it. She knew this was hard enough for him as it was. So she just remained silent and looked at him.

“Voldemort uses people his enemies are close to. He’s already used you as bait once, and that was just because you’re my best friend’s sister. Think of how much danger you’ll be in if we keep this up. He’ll know, he’ll find out. He’ll try and get to me through you.”

She didn’t mention the fact that maybe he already knew. After all, the entire school knew they were dating. It had been the hottest piece of gossip for no less than two weeks, but right now, he didn’t need to hear that.

She looked him in the eye, and her resolve wavered. “What if I don’t care?” she burst out. She knew it was selfish, but he was killing her, slowly, painfully.

“I care. How do you think I’d feel if this was your funeral…and it was my fault…”

It won’t be your fault! she wanted to scream at him. I’ve waited for you for years. We’ve only just realized how happy we can be together. Why do I have to let you go now? No matter what, I’ll be in danger! But it doesn’t matter to me! I want to fight by your side. I’m capable. I’m willing to go where you go, to help you. And no matter what, I’ll always love you.

But she could not say these things. She knew why they couldn’t see each other. She’d accepted it. He needed the illusion that she was safe. But she wasn’t. Not really. She was not only his girlfriend, but a Weasley as well. No matter what she did, no matter who she was seeing, she was in danger. Harry, however, had a great burden thrust upon him. He had not imparted all of the details, but she knew that he had too many troubles for a boy of his age. And she refused to be one more burden, one more thing for him to worry about. So now she had to let him go. In her mind, she accepted it. But her heart refused to give up the battle.

She couldn’t bear looking in his eyes any longer. If she did, she would break down completely, beg him to see reason, try to convince him that he didn’t have to let her go. Instead, she turned to gaze at the lake, but it didn’t help much. Rather than distracting her from her heartbreak, it intensified it. Uninvited, memories of lunch hours spent by the lake with Harry invaded her senses. She felt the touch of his lips, the feel of his arms around her, and she saw the laughter in his eyes. She would miss that. Will we ever share that again? she wondered.

She opened her mouth to speak. “I never really gave up on you. Not really.” Why am I telling him this, she wondered. But somehow, she knew that it mattered. “I always hoped…Hermione told me to get on with life, maybe go out with some other people, relax a bit around you, because I never used to be able to talk if you were in the room, remember? And she thought you might take a bit more notice if I was a bit more-myself.” And what do you know? she thought wryly. It worked!

“Smart girl, that Hermione,” Harry attempted to smile…and failed miserably. “I just wish I’d asked you sooner. We could’ve had ages…months…years maybe.”

She wished that too. Oh, how she wished!

“But you’ve been too busy saving the Wizarding world,” she said, half laughing. “Well…I can’t say I’m surprised. I knew this was would happen in the end. I knew you wouldn’t be happy unless you were hunting Voldemort. Maybe that’s why I like you so much.”

Maybe that’s why I love you.

But she knew she couldn’t say that either.

Harry said nothing. He looked around, almost desperately, then looked back at her. She thought he might say something, almost wished that he would. But he remained silent. Then, with a helpless gesture, he stood up and walked away. For a few moments she stared at his retreating back, her world in shambles around her. She wanted to call him back, to scream and yell, and throw things and let him know unequivocally that no matter what she would stand by him. But she wouldn’t do that. Wouldn’t embarrass him or herself that way. Wouldn’t make him feel any worse than he obviously already did. She would find another way to get through to him. After all, he said that they had to stop seeing each other, not that they had to stop being friends.

Taking a deep breath, she straightened, with a newfound resolve. Don’t count me out of your life just yet, Harry Potter.

But she couldn’t help it as a single tear slipped unbidden down her cheek.


AN: So ends my first foray into the world of Harry Potter fan fiction. I hope you enjoyed it! Constructive criticism is always appreciated!
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear