Search:

SIYE Time:22:46 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


An Evening at the Smyths
By scruffy

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 4
Summary: Did you ever have a plot bunny that just would not leave your head. This is one of those. Mr. & Mrs. Smyth have a dicussion one night after a day in Diagon Alley.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3832







ChapterPrinter


I am not JKR nor do I think I would like to be. I quite like being able to walk past you on the street without you knowing who I am. Much less watch you go crazy when you reconize me. That said all the characters are hers, even the Smyths if she wants them. And as a result all the money they earn is hers too. (The money wouldn't be bad to have but if it doesn't come without the attention you can keep it.)

That said may I present the Smyths

Mr. & Mrs. Smyth were relaxing around the living room of their cozy little home in the suburbs of Bath, enjoying what was on the telly while their daughters were upstairs putting their purchases away when Mrs. Wanda Smyth decided it was time her husband understood what had happened in the world she and her daughters were apart of. Information She'd kept from him for the past three years. Ever since their oldest daughter had started attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Going so far as to hide her copy of Daily Prophet so he wouldn't read it by accident. Steeling herself for his angry reaction she asked her husband, "Did you enjoy going shopping with the girls for their school items this afternoon?"

Tim Smyth looked at his wife saying, "Yes I did. I still don't know why I couldn't go with you three years ago when Wendy first went to Hogwarts."

Wanda replied, "Tim the reason you couldn't go three years ago is the same reason I couldn't wait to move to Australia when the company offered you that two year position at Christmas that year. I was thrilled to take Wendy out of Hogwarts and move to Australia. At the time there was a dark lord trying to take over the wizarding world starting with England."

Tim looked at his wife and joked, "What a Dark Lord of the Sith or something."

She frowned and remembered advice her muggle raised girlfriends had passed on to her when they urged she come clean with him. He doesn't have to know things about our world as well as you and I. What he needs to know is the general idea and believe us he will find a lot of our customs odd and occasionally humorous just like you find a lot of theirs. "Something like that." She replied tersely.

"I was joking."

"I wasn't. Anyway he was out to kill all half breeds and muggle born witches and warlocks. If his followers had noticed a muggle in Diagon alley they would have attempted to kill him or her."

"So how come I could go this time?"

"He's been killed and most of his followers rounded up." Wanda said.

"So when we came back from Australia it was safe."

"No when we came back and Wendy returned to Hogwarts at mid-term he was more powerful and his followers bolder than ever."

"So what happened to change everything."

"Do you remember those students that Wendy introduced us to."

"The ones we had ice cream with or the other ones we met at the bank?"

"The ones we ate with at Florean Fortexcue's Ice Cream Parlor. Did you notice anything unusual happening there." Wanda asked watching her husband carefully.

Tim looked at her for a moment trying to recall everything about that time, "No nothing comes to mind except for our waiter being confused about which table to deliver our order to." He replied not sure where his wife was taking this discussion. The serious look on her face when he'd make the dark lord crack told him he'd come closer to reality than he'd realized.

"The waiter wasn't confused he just couldn't see the table. Did you notice no one reacted to any loud noises that were made at our table despite our being able to hear almost every word said around us."

"No I didn't even think about it at the time but now that you mention it that was a little odd."

"How about who came to take our order." Wanda asked getting into this discussion.

"I figured it was the manager showing a new waiter the ropes."

"Did you notice we were told no last names of anyone of the students just Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny. Mr. Fortexcue started to say Harry's last name but stopped at glance from him."

"I noticed the lack of names but I didn't think that was unusual at the time I thought they were just being impolite. You know how kids their age are today, but now with you pointing it all this out I take it there were other reasons no surnames were given?"

"Remember when Wendy came home from Hogwarts at the beginning of summer and told us they had a big party and that some students in her house got a big award."

"Yes, And I remember you taking her quickly aside. After that all I heard about was the party and the different boys that were around my daughter. I take it all these points you are making connect." Tim said getting a little testy as he realized something big happened in his wife and daughters' world that he had been kept in the dark about.

"Here's how they all connect. The reason you could go to Diagon alley is the four you had ice cream with killed the dark lord and help arrest most of his followers."

"Those four kids!" Tim replied.

"Those four kids. And the big party was held in their honor at Hogwarts. All four of them received the order of Merlin first class. Harry got his with a gold oak cluster because they couldn't think of anything else to improve it." Wanda replied watching her husbands face hoping he would forgive her for keeping this from him.

Tim looked at his wife still trying to wrap his mind around those four kids killing someone. "You mean to tell me those four beat the bad guys single handily."

"No they had help for a while but at the end it was those four against the bad guy and his top henchmen."

"So what's this order of Merlin, How big an award is it?"

"Let's see up until this year there was one person alive who was entitled to wear the order of Merlin first class. Now there are five. That's in the whole world." Wendy replied.

"What about what went on at the ice cream shop?" Tim prompted.

"Next time we have a get together with my family tell them Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron and Ginny Weasley had ice cream with us and watch their reactions. He and his friends are as close as the wizarding world comes to royalty. As to what happened with the waiter I saw Harry wave his hand and cast an obscure charm that hid our table from everyone and I'm pretty sure he did something to prevent us from being overheard or disturbed."

"I didn't see his wand."

"That's because he didn't use one. Harry is one of the very few wizards that can do controlled wandless magic. Before you ask according to the stories I've been told by our daughter and others he can do things without a wand that I can't do with one." Wanda said watching her husband's face.

"So Harry's the top wizard and the rest are his groupies?" Tom asked trying to piece together information he felt should have been told to him before this.

"Not at all. According to the stories. Hermione is the smartest witch to come along in years, Ron Weasley's abilities are not up to Harry's level but above most other wizards. Then there is Ginny Weasley, According to one mother I talked to she is Harry's equal. A boy who wasn't named ticked her off once and ended up in the hospital wing. That's not unusual except he was grades above her, They couldn't figure out what spell she used and she refused to tell them, they had to wait for her to calm down and take it off. That took a few days."

Deciding that was enough talking for one night. Tom walked over to his wife and offered her his hand saying, "Let's go check on the girls. Tomorrow you can tell me more of what you've been keeping from me. After we discuss this Creevey boy and what Wendy means when she says he's really, really, really cute."




Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear