Search:

SIYE Time:18:34 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Muggle Fun Day
By carlene_79

- Text Size +

Category: Muggle Picnic Challenge (2005-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, Humor, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 15
Summary: Hermione and some other Muggle borns decide to have a Muggle style barbeque, complete with Muggle games.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3939







ChapterPrinter



“Bloody hell Hermione!” shrieked Ron. “Have you gone mad?”

“Ronald Weasley, you can be really thick sometimes! It’s a barbeque; it’s supposed to be fun. I am asking you to help cook, not play in the forest with Aragog and his family.” said Hermione coolly.

Harry snickered “She’s got you there mate.”

“I’m sorry Hermione, but you know I am not good with Muggle things.” Ron looked at her pathetically. “But I guess I will try.”

“I think it’s a great idea, just what the school needs.” said Harry.

About that time Neville popped his head into the group. “What does the school need?”

“Blimey Neville, where have you been all morning? Hermione and some other Muggle borns are planning a Muggle-style barbeque. Complete with Muggle games and with NO magic.” explained Ron.

Neville smiled, “Wow! That sounds like loads of fun. What can I do to help Hermione?”

“I’m glad you asked,” she pulled some parchment from her bag and smoothed it out on the table. “Here is a sign-up sheet, you can decide what you would like to help with and sign your name under the appropriate section. There is one in every common room; the whole school will be helping. Seamus Finnigan is in charge of the fun activities and contests. Dennis and Collin Creevey are in charge of the food, and of course the photography. And Dean Thomas is in charge of setting everything up. He is going to need lots of strong people to help him.”

Ron raised his eyebrows, “Why does he need a lot of strong people? It’s not that hard to levitate everything around.”

“There will be no magic all day Ron.” her cheeks tinged a little pink “I guess I forgot to mention that it was all day and not just at the barbeque. We’ll have everything we need; we just need to put it together.”

Ron almost fainted on the spot. “No magic all day.” he said weakly.

Hermione looked at her watch and shrieked, “Oh gosh! I have to meet Justin Finch-Fletchey in the library with the planning crew.”


Seeing the annoyed look on Ron’s face she hastily added “Justin is helping us schedule the day’s events.”

Hermione hopped up, kissed Ron on the cheek and whispered “I’ll see you later.” Then she ran out the portrait hole.

Ginny entered the common room and dumped her bag on the table “Harry, Ron what’s all the excitement about?”

Harry opened his mouth to reply but Ron cut him off “This is rubbish! I can’t stand that little nancy boy. I’m going for a walk, you lot have fun.” Then he disappeared through the portrait hole.

“Whoa, what’s he on about?” asked Ginny.

Harry told her all about the barbeque plans, and Ron and Hermione’s conversation.

“The funniest part was when Hermione told Ron he had to do everything without magic. He looked at her like she had lobsters crawling out her ears.” laughed Harry.

Ginny giggled “I can just imagine his face, poor Ron. I think it will be fun to do all of these things without magic. I want to help with something.”

“The sign up sheets are on the table. Ron and I are going to help Dean set up all the picnic tables, the stage and mark out an area for the games.” said Harry.

She looked at the paper and smiled. “I think I will help Collin and Dennis with the food. I love to cook. Oh, I can’t wait; this is all going to be so much fun.”

Harry leaned down and gently kissed her on the lips. “You’re a great cook love, and we’ll have loads of fun together.”

**********


In the library, Hermione and her planning crew were going over the final details.
“Ok, let’s run through this one more time. We’re going to start with… oh I can’t believe I agreed to this, the swimsuit contest. I must be mad.” said Hermione blushing.

“You’re not mad Hermione.” said Seamus. “You’re finally going to answer the question ‘What are under his/her robes?’, and everyone is going to owe you big time. I for one can’t wait to see all of the bikini’s running around all day.”

Then he lean over and whispered to Dean “We know she’s got the brains, but I’d sure like to see Hermione in that outfit, wouldn’t you?”

“You smarmy git!” Dean hissed back “You better not let Ron hear you say things like that or he’ll give you a good thrashing.”

They were interrupted by Hermione, “Ok now, after the swimsuit contest we’ll do the three legged race. Then we’ll take a break and barbeque. Collin and Dennis what have you come up with so far?”

“I think we’ll barbeque burgers, sausages, chicken and maybe some salmon. But we’ll have to see about that.” replied Collin.

“I still need to look at a couple of cookbooks but I plan on making several different salads and some fondue.” said Dennis.

Hermione smiled “That’s great! It’s all coming together very well. Now after we eat and relax for a bit, then we’ll move on to the sack races, and then the wheelbarrow race.”

“I think that pretty much covers everything.” said Justin “Good work everybody.”

**********


Finally the day of the barbeque arrived and the castle was buzzing with excitement and activity. Dennis, Collin and their crew were all busy with finishing up the food.

Hermione stopped by the kitchens to check on the food their progress. She was pleased with the number of people that volunteered to help. The food looked wonderful, and the cooking crew was ahead of schedule so she went outside to supervise.

She headed down the castle steps and when she turned to head towards the lake she stopped dead in her tracks and gasped “Oh my, it looks beautiful.”

The set up crew had really outdone themselves. The stage was set up right in front of the lake, the barbeque grills were placed in the middle of the sea of picnic tables. All of the picnic tables had checkered tablecloths with little ants running around on them, and each table was set up with condiments, plates, cups, silverware, napkins and a fondue pot. She giggled and thought Fondue pot, now that’s really going to throw Ron. It all looked great, far beyond what she expected.

As she came up behind Ron he turned around, and she started laughing. He had an apron on that said ‘Official Member of the Piss and Moan about Everything Club’.

“I’m glad you think its funny, Seamus made it for me.” said Ron. “He could have just got me one that said ‘Kiss the Cook’ or something.”

“Oh Ron, it’s funny and everyone will get a laugh out of it.” She started to giggle. “To bad they didn’t make one for Malfoy that said ‘My parents said I could be anything so I became a wanker’.”

Harry and Ginny had just walked up in time to hear Hermione’s suggestion. They all doubled over in fits of hysteria. “You’re awful cheeky today Hermione.” Harry finally choked out.

“I heard McGonagall made Seamus take his apron off, it said ‘Blink if you’re randy!’ the smarmy little bugger.” laughed Ginny.

When Hermione recovered from her laughter she looked at Ginny and said “Come on Gin, we only have an hour to get ready before the barbeque starts.”

***********


“Welcome everyone to our Muggle barbeque and fun day. I hope you all have a great time and enjoy the food, activities and the unusually warm weather we are having this April. Just remember, no magic is allowed today. Here is Seamus Finnigan to explain the day’s events.” said Dumbledore.

“Thank you Professor Dumbledore. I want everyone to give Hermione Granger a huge round of applause, for coming up with this great idea.”

Everyone clapped and cheered except the Slytherins.

“Now we are going to start out with the swimsuit contest. First we are going to start with the boys, and then the girls. We are going to judge best overall, and most creative swimsuit.” said Seamus.

All the boys lined up behind the stage. Seamus handed the microphone over to Hermione.
“Well boys, let’s get this show on the road!”

“First up is Collin and Dennis Creevey,” they strolled out and all of the girls squealed. “They’re sporting a matching pair of Gryffindor red swim trunks with…”

Collin and Dennis turned around and shook they’re behinds at the crowd and a Gryffindor lion appeared on the back of they’re shorts and roared at the crowd. Everyone laughed and cheered.

“Very creative boys.” said Hermione. They strutted across the stage and down the stairs. “Next we have Justin Finch-Fletchly, wearing yellow and black striped swim trunks.”
He strolled across the stage and the girls all hollered and whistled.

The next 10 minutes were a complete uproar. As soon as the Creevey brothers exited the stage, several people started strutting across. Hermione was laughing so hard she could hardly announce what was going on.

“Here is Harry Potter wearing roguish black swim trunks with golden snitches. And here is Ron Weasley sporting a bright orange fashion, flex those muscles boys!” Hermione saw Dumbledore coming out on the stage and she lost it. She was in such a fit of hysteria she could barely talk.

“And here is Professor Dumbledore, attired in on old fashioned blue and white striped bathing costume with twinkling silver stars.” Hermione finally choked out. He did a little dance across the stage and disappeared.

Then another explosion of laughter erupted through the crowd as Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas made they’re way across the stage. Hermione was laughing so hard she had tears streaming down her face as she announced them.

“And for the grand finale he is Seamus and Dean wearing… well not much actually.” She muttered.

“It called a Speedo Hermione!” yelled Harry from the crowd.

“Yes, well that’s not what I would call them.” Hermione blushed “You two are off your trolley, now get off my stage you nutters.”

As soon as Terry Boot was done strutting across the stage in his boring camo swim trunks it was the girls turn to strut their stuff.

All the girls were lined up on one side of the stage when Ginny overheard Lavender and Parvati gossiping.

“Did you see Harry, Quidditch playing is definitely doing him some good.” squealed Parvati.

“Yeah, I’d love to get into a sack with him.” Lavender blurted out.

“And if you don’t stop thinking along those lines I will bat-bogey hex you in to next week!” snapped Ginny. Then she stomped to the back of the line where Hermione was.

“Sometimes I swear that girl has the intellect rivaled only by garden tools!” stormed Ginny.

Hermione giggled “Yeah I know. I have classes with her.”

“Ok, here we go!” boomed Seamus “Here come lassies! First off we have Susan Bones from Hufflepuff wearing an innocent black one-piece with a flirty pair of yellow board shorts.”

“Next is Lavender Brown of Gryffindor wearing a turquoise bikini with little clouds and rainbows. Lookin’ good Lavender.” said Seamus.

“And here comes the Patil twins nicely clothed in matching pale blue bikinis with lavender and pink butterflies.”

The boys in the crowd were going wild. Seamus could barely be heard over the whistles and cat calls. They were in for a real surprise when the next contestant was up.

“It’s… Hermione Granger, looking bloody marvelous in her little pink bikini with ruffled bottoms.” an overwhelmed Seamus announced.

Ron jumped up and yelled “And you had better quit staring at those ruffles, remember I know where you sleep and I will have my wand back by then you know.”

“Yeah, yeah don’t get your knickers in a twist Ron. Next up is... little Ginny Weasley. Blimey she has grown up hasn’t she, and she is nicely sporting a deep purple bikini also with ruffles.” bellowed Seamus over the cheers from the crowd.

After the Harry and Ginny were announced the winners, they set off to start helping with the food. Harry was going to try and help Ron with the barbeque but then decided it would be more entertaining to watch instead.

“Ok, I place these little black things like this, and then I squirt... what this stuff called again?” asked Ron.

“Lighter fluid. Squirt the lighter fluid on, let it soak in a second and then light a match and toss it in.” answered Harry.

“Ok, gottcha.” said Ron.

Harry turned around to see where Ginny was when he heard it. POOF!! And when he turned back around to see how bad the damage was he couldn’t help but laugh at Ron. All the hair on his hands and arms were either gone or singed.

“Ouch, bloody hell that hurts!” hollered Ron. “Why didn’t you tell me that would happen?”

“It wouldn’t have happened if you wouldn’t have put so much lighter fluid on the charcoal. It’s ok though, the barbeque is lit, now all you have to do is wait until the charcoal is kind of grey and then start putting the food on.” said Harry.

Ron’s face lit up “You mean I did it? Wow that was amazing.”

“You’re just easily amused Ron.” laughed Hermione “I knew that you could do this.”

“Yeah well the foods not done yet.” teased Ron.

**********

Beside s a few black sausages and a couple pieces of crispy chicken everything turned out great. They all sat at the picnic table and some people (couples mostly) brought blankets that they spread out on the ground to sit on while they ate.

“This was a great idea Hermione. I can’t wait to try the futon stuff Colin told me about.” said Ron excitedly.

“Its fondue Ron.” corrected Hermione.

“Futon, fondue, what’s the difference?” asked Ron.

“Oh never mind. Where did Harry and Ginny go?” asked Hermione.

“I don’t know, last time I saw them Ginny had her plate piled higher than mine.” said Ron as he was stuffing the rest of his burger in his mouth.

Hermione stood up and looked around. “Here they come; I think they were sitting on a blanket over by Neville and Luna.”

Ron looked up at them as they approached, and his jaw dropped. He looked at Harry and said “She really ate all of that? I can’t believe it, I must be sick if my baby sister is eating more than I am.”

“Oh bugger off Ron, I was starving. I didn’t get a chance to eat all day.” snapped Ginny.

“Come on, lets get ready for the races.” said Harry.

“Wait, I have to try the futon first.” Ron exclaimed.

“IT’S FONDUE!” said Hermione, Harry and Ginny in unison.

“Whatever! I want to try it.” replied Ron.

**********


“Come on everyone, let’s get in the sack!” boomed Seamus’s above all the conversations.

Everyone grabbed a sack and lined up.

“Ok, here’s the rules. You must stay in your sack for the whole race, if you fall down your out. First one across the finish line wins.” said Seamus. “Everyone ready… set… GO!”

Ginny started out in first place but soon fell, which ended up knocking Harry down. They laughed and watched most everyone else fall down too, including Hermione. Ron won the race and Dean Thomas came in at a close second.

“That was so much fun, let’s do it again!” exclaimed Ginny.

“The next race will be fun too Gin, it’s called a wheelbarrow race.” said Harry.

“Oh I can’t wait.” replied Ginny.

About that time Seamus announced for everyone to partner up and gather back on the starting line.

Ginny got down on her hands and knees, and Harry grabbed her feet. “I don’t know if I can walk on my hands all the way to the finish line Harry?” Ginny said worriedly.

“You’ll do fine; just give it your best shot. No matter what we are sure to have some fun and laughs.” Harry reassured her.

“Ready…Set… GO!” yelled Seamus.

They all took off as fast as they could go; well except for Lavender who irritated Terry Boots by saying she was afraid she would break a nail.

Out of the corner of her eye, Ginny noticed that Luna was holding Neville’s feet instead of the other way around. Neville and Luna were just about to catch up to them when Neville’s arm gave out and they both went tumbling to the ground.

“You’re doing great Gin, we’re almost there.” yelled Harry slightly out of breath.

“And Harry and Ginny win, with Ron and Hermione right on their tail.” shouted Seamus.

Harry flopped down on the ground next to Ginny and said “I knew you could do it, good job Ginny.”

“I never knew Muggle stuff could be so much fun. No wonder Dad has such a Muggle fetish.” giggled Ginny.

“I agree.” said Ron. “This has been a great day; I really enjoyed the futon stuff Collin made.”

“FONDUE!” they all bellowed at him again.

Before Ron could respond Dumbledore tapped on the Muggle microphone to get everyone’s attention.

“I have a little surprise for all of you. We will be having a fireworks display put on by Fred and George Weasley. If you’re interested in observing the show, please return to the lake at dark.”

“Did any of you know that Fred and George were coming?” asked Harry.

“No, I had no idea.” said Ginny.

Ron shook his head “Me neither.”

“I did, but I wanted to surprise all of you.” Hermione admitted.

**********


Later in the evening when it was good and dark everyone was gathered around the lake once again. Fred and George put on a fantastic display with they’re Wild-Fire Whiz-Bangs.

Harry and Ginny were all cuddled up on a blanket watching the fireworks when Harry heard Ginny sniff.

“What’s the matter Ginny? Are you ok?” asked Harry.

“This has been such a great day. I was just thinking that we won’t be able to do this next year. You, Ron and Hermione will not be here and I will be all alone.” sobbed Ginny.

“I know its hard Gin, but everything will be ok. I can hardly believe myself that I am in the end of my seventh year. Doesn’t seem that long ago that Hagrid knocked down the door at the hut my Aunt and Uncle were trying to hide us in.” Harry said trying to comfort Ginny.

“I am just going to miss you all next year, especially you Harry.” she smiled at him and blushed “I love you, and I despise the times when you’re not around.”

“I love you too. But at least we get to spend the whole summer together. I don’t have to go back to my Aunt and Uncle’s house at all.” smiled Harry.

“Maybe we can have a Muggle barbeque, with Muggle games with my family this summer?” inquired Ginny.

“I think that would be a great idea.” answered Harry. Then he leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips.


A/N: I want to thank my beta Amber for all of her wonderful help and support. And also a huge thanks to Mirloc for his words of encouragement and all his help with our "Formatting issue." I couldn't have done it without you.







Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear