Search:

SIYE Time:14:46 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Pina Coladas
By knightwhosaysni

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 13
Summary: Ginny's having a horrible time this New Year's Eve. Her dress is too tight, her heels too high, and she can't get a stupid pina colada. ** Not at all related to New Years. Exept the obvious.**
Hitcount: Story Total: 5632







ChapterPrinter




AN- I know that Ginny’s Birthday is August 11th, but for my purposes, it’s January fifteenth. **note, again, one of my earlier fics, written this January. I'm sorry if it sucks.**
- - - - - - - - -



I hate New Years Eve. With a passion. Desperately. With six brothers, it’s hard not to. Can you IMAGINE the pranks Fred and George played? The way Percy would always run off at the mouth about how this, that, or the other thing is so important and we should make New Years resolutions? It was horrible. But, now, I’m out of school, out of home and I live with my best mates, Lavender Brown and Hermione Granger. And it is time to PARTY!

You all know Lavender, has to be in with the in-crowd and all that. Well, she got us in to the Ministry New Years Eve Masque and so these last few days had been in frantic search of everything and anything you could possible imagine. Shoes, make up, dresses, skirts, tops, purses, EVERYTHING. It was hell for me. I’ve never been a girly girl, but I decided that what the hell, I’ll join in for once. And look where it got me.

“Ginny! Get your ass down here so we can approve your outfit!” Lav called from the living room. Which was the room right next to my bedroom. (I get my own bedroom cause my shifts are so erratic, and Lav and Mione are sick of me walking in at two in the morning and waking them up when I take my shower.) Yeah. We have this tiny flat, cause we’re all kind of poor. Mione works at Flourish and Blotts, no surprise there, Lav works at Madam Malkins, and I work at St. Mungo’s, and I’m only a beginning nurse, so we all get paid knuts an hour. Do you know how HARD it is to get off work on New Years Eve in my position? I had to bribe six people, and promise my (slave driving) boss eight extra hours **without** overtime pay to get here.

“COMING!” I screamed back at them, adjusting my dress. It was silver halter with a very long slit up to mid thigh. I had on leg-lace metallic blue stiletto heels (which I knew I was going to kill myself in) and a blue and silver eye mask. I believed I was set. Note, I said believed. You never know with Lave and Mione.

Mione was all done up in lilac-y colors with a strapless floor length dress and a pretty shawl embroidered with some sort of purple flower, and white back-less high heeled sandals. With lots of make up on underneath her white mask. Lav was in a bright red mini dress with bright red shawl and bright red pointed toe heels. And lots of make up on underneath her red mask. See a pattern here?

They gasped when I came down, and not because I was gasp-worthy beautiful.

“Ginny!” Mione let out an agonized shout. “What happened to all of your make up?” I cringed. She really changed after she and Ron started going out.

“I didn’t wear any, ‘cept for some eyeshadow and lipstick.” I wasn’t prepared for the attack. They both pounced on me simultaneously, removing what looked like several pounds of make up each from their purses. They ripped my mask off and removed what little make up I had on and replaced it with five times more. Plus extra. After a five minute period of hell, they eased up, but then started on my hair. “YEOUCH!” I yelped as someone grabbed my whole head of hair and yanked it back. “What the hell are you doing?”

“Curling your hair, so shut up!” Mione hissed.

“ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT? Do it by magic!” I cried, half in pain.

“Oherm....” She muttered sheepishly and I heard the rustling of fabric and a muttered spell, and my hair was curled to perfection.

“Can we LEAVE now? My brother might be here any minute!” I moaned, talking about Percy. He always visited me on New Years, Gods know why. He was the bloody minister of magic now, you’d think he’d let up on me ‘cause he has so much else to do. But no. Stupid Prat. He’s a nice brother and all, but when you’re seventeen and eleven months, it gets annoying.

“Yes, yes, fine!” Lav huffed, and we apperated to the set point so the Muggles wouldn’t notice.

‘Bah.’ I thought. ‘This is going to be a night that hell could not possibly fathom.’ I groaned inwardly as I saw my so called ‘friends’ rushing up the steps to get in. I tried to match their pace, but nearly killed myself, falling over my own feet in two seconds flat. I waited for the harsh impact of the ground, hoping I would be so horribly injured that I couldn’t attend the ball but was sorely disappointed. A strong arm caught me around my shoulders before the steps could have their way and take a large bite from my face (metaphorically, of course. Carnivorous stairs would positively freak me out.). Damn. The arm pulled me up and I pulled a tight smile.

“Thank you.” I murmured demurely, hating ever moment of it. He (as it was obviously a he) chuckled in a warm tenor voice.

“You don’t seem to be terribly pleased.” Well, this guy could read me like a book, or, maybe it was the fact that my displeasure was radiating off me.

“Frankly, I was hoping that the stairs would disfigure me so greatly that I wouldn’t have to go to the party. Ah, there are my so called mates. At the moment, I am being kind in referring to them as Lucifer’s slimy offspring.” I mentioned when I saw my buds waiting for me at the top of the stairs. I glanced up to my ‘rescuer’ and straight away noticed something. His eyes.

They were green. And his hair was black. For a moment, I could only see this man as harry, but then the illusion was gone and I smiled falsely again. There was that laugh again. And I somehow distorted the voice to be Harry’s.

“Well, I’ll leave you to your night of hell. I’m sure mine won’t be much better. I, for one, am glad this is a masquerade.” I nodded, flapping my hands for Lav and Mione to go on without me.

“Really? And why is that? Oh, Sorry, I must leave or I’m not sure that I’ll survive the night. I’m sure we’ll bump into each other sometime or another.” I waved to him and made my way up the stairs, albeit much slower than my first attempt. I made it up the stairs in one peice. Oh well. I won’t make it through the night.

I was sadly mistaken.

I was hoping to sprain my ankle, or, get drunk or SOMETHING but there was that little fact that I’m underage. ONE BLOODY MONTH away from the legal age, mind you, but still, these Ministry workers are very by-the-book. And no matter how much I tried, I couldn’t hurt myself terribly enough to go home. So I stood by the bar, ordering millions of Virgin Piña Coladas and the like. On my eleventh (or was it twelfth? For all I know it was my fortieth) colada, the man that ‘helped’ me earlier took a seat next to me.

“I’m sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I’m— ” I stopped him with an upraised hand.

“It’s a masque, remember? At the midnight unmasking, then you can introduce yourself. For now, we know each other not. So, how are you enjoying the ball?” His face fell a small amount.

“Well, it would be a lot nicer if I could find someone I was looking for.” Interesting.

“Really? Are you sure that they are here? I know my accompaniment had planned for friends to come with, but they haven’t shown up yet.” He raised an eyebrow.

“And how would you know? You’ve been at the drinks table all night!” It was my turn to raise an eyebrow.

“And you know this how? Have you been watching me this entire time?”

“Well, you’re a very interesting creature to watch.” I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and he continued. “I have only known one girl that would not straight away get onto the dance floor and find the best looking guy they could.” I started laughing, because at that moment, mione and Lavender both passed by with extremely handsome men. Not that this affected me. There was only one guy who really got my attention. But this man was really becoming a possibility to contend with Harry.

“So, dance with anyone interesting yet?”

“Not until you agree to dance with me.” I chuckled and he puled me up by the arm.

“No, I’ll kill myself! You saw me on the steps!”

“I’ll make sure you never fall.” Well, what could I say to that? Yes, yes, I know, just shut up. I accepted his hand and we went out onto the floor just as an elegant waltz struck up. We didn’t talk the whole time, as my entire concentration was kept occupied by the looming threat that I was going to slip and impale someone with my shoe. I stumbled quite a few times, and I swore one woman tried to trip me, but true to his word, the green eyed stranger kept me from falling.

“That was lovely!” He said as the song slowed and then stopped, and I nodded, momentarily distracted when the same witch who tripped me tried to stomp on my foot with her razorblade heels. I stuck my tongue out at her, even though it was childish. Hey, just because you’re out of Hogwarts doesn’t mean you have to act like your forty. I’m fresh out of Hogwarts as well, so again, shut up. “Wasn’t she the one who tripped you?”

“Yes....” I muttered, still distracted.

“Hello?” He waved his hand in front of my face.

“What? Oh, yes. Well, I’d better get back to my endless supply of virgin pina coladas.”

“Virgin? You look old enough to have alcohol.”

“Bloody well am, only a month, no, three weeks off it.” I muttered angrily.

“Pardon?”

“Oh, I didn’t feel like getting one.” I supplied readily, and a tad more audibly. He nodded.

“Alright. I’ll meet you there. I have to make my rounds, see if I can find that someone.” I nodded and we went in opposite ways, me to the bar, and him out into the crowd. When I got to the bar, a new tender was serving. A novice. Maybe I could get a drink after all.

“Hey, can I get an alcoholic pina colada?” The bartender looked shocked that I actually adressed him.

“Oh er um, ID?” I held mine out. “Oh, I’m sorry, you are three weeks under the legal age.” My eyes widened. The other guy said “too young by a few months.” But , wow. This got me pissed.

“LOOK HERE! I AM TWO WEEKS AND ONE DAY AWAY FROM MY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY! THE MINISTER IS MY BLOODY BROTHER! GIVE ME THE DAMN DRINK!” Within moments, I had a non-virgin pina colada sitting in front of me, and I paid the bartender.

“But it’s open bar.”

“And you have to deal with me. That alone is worth being paid for.” He nodded and pocketed the money, and I began to sip my drink. Ah, the perks of having the Weasley temper. About an hour later, after I decided to go back to virgin drinks, Mr. Green-eyes showed up.

“Sorry for being so long. I had no idea how many people there were at this thing.” I smiled and took a long gulp of my strawberry daiquiri. He eyed it. I, noticing his gaze, offered him the glass.

“You want a taste?” He took a sip of the drink and hummed appreciatively. “Yeah, wait until you try a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.” He gave me a look that clearly screamed “What the hell are you high on and can I have some?” I chuckled and shook my head. “Muggle book.” He ‘oh’ed and took another sip of my drink.

He achieved a new look in his eyes, of hope and somewhat of cunning. “Hey! You’re a girl!”

“Why, yes, I am....” My voice slid uneasily from my throat. That was odd, let alone completely off topic. Perhaps he was drunk?

“Whoops, sorry, that was extremely tactless. Hah, reminds me of what my friend did to my other friend, Hermione.” I felt my eyes grow wide as saucers. It WAS Harry! I only knew of one trio of friends that had a Ron and a Hermione that also had that incident. Mione was fuming for weeks about that, and she took it out on me, most of the time.

“Oherermmm.” I managed to get out, but Harry(at least, I had quite the educated guess it was Harry) didn’t notice.

“Yes, yes. Well, as you are female, and I don’t know you all that well, this will seem much less awkward.”I nodded, signaling for him to continue. “Ok, I think I am love, not with you, oh, I mean no offence by that it’s just...” I started laughing, but I felt an ache inside.

“I understand. There is a girl that you are in love with that you actually know.” He smiled that devilish smile that I recognized so well now that I knew who it was, and continued.

“Yes, exactly. Well, she’s a good friend of mine, and I’ve known her since my first year at Hogwarts, and...” I felt my throat clinch shut when he said this. ‘Oh my god. He’s in love with Hermione. He’s bloody in love with Hermione. I think I am going to pass out.’ I blinked, hard and plastered the false smile on my face. I “mmhmmed” at all the pauses and had my interested face on, while on the inside I felt like screaming. It was five minutes till midnight, and then I could go home and cry all I wanted.

“So what do you think I should do? I don’t want to risk losing the friendship, but I think I really love her.” Four minutes. Oh, I really wanted to say something along the lines of for get it! She’s not worth it! I’m the one you should fall for! But I didn’t. I knew it wasn’t true. Harry was supposed to fall in love with whomever his heart desires. And, apparently, it didn’t desire me. Three minutes.

“Well, you just go with your heart. Tell her how you feel. I’m not going to say if she turns you down that it’s her loss, because if she says no, she’ll have someone that is her true love, but that means you’ll have your true love too. I saw someone making their way to Us. It was Hermione. Oh bloody wonderful. I really am going to be sick. Two minutes

“Why, Ginervra Weasley, who’s this gorgeous man you’re talking to?” she asked. I groaned inwardly at the look of shock on Harry’s face.

“None other than the one and only boy-who-bloody-lived. Now, If you don’t mind, I need to get home. Or at least as far outside as I can.” I stood up on shaky legs and strode out, amidst Hermione’s protests of

“But Gin, it’s only two minutes to midnight! Don’t you want to stay until then?”

Across the street there was a wooded area and I quickly ran into that, shedding my shoes so I may run barefoot. I couldn’t get far enough away. I heard the crowd counting down.

“Twenty nine! Twenty Eight! Twenty Seven!” I tripped into a clearing and sat down in the center of it, tears streaming down my face. I knew that Harry could never love me, but having him (albeit unwittingly) talking about your best friend romantically is enough to make Attila the hun throw a fit. I know, I’m supposed to be throwing things and saying I’ll never speak to Hermione again, but I can’t do that. Hermione and Lav are my best friends, and I can’t just abandon one of them because the guy I love is madly in love with her, even though she’s practically engaged to Ron. Gha. I really am going to be sick. I have a headache from just THINKING about that.

“Twenty three! Twenty two!”

“Gin? Oh gods, Gin!” I looked up, however much I didn’t want to, and saw Harry, unmasked, sprinting into my haven. No, no, no. There was a reason why I always hated New Years; I knew that one year, it would be the worst day of my life.

“Wh-what?” I sniffed, pulling my knees up to my chest and then weeping into them.

“Oh, I thought you were hurt!” He exclaimed, dropping down beside me. No! Don’t show me kindness, I’ll never be able to hate you now!

“Well, not physically, no.” I muttered. “Why aren’t you with Hermione, sharing a midnight kiss?”

“Hermione? What are you talking about?”

“Don’t toy with me Harry! You know exactly what I mean! ‘I really love her’ ‘Really good friend of mine’ ‘Known her since my first year at Hogwarts.’ Who else could it be?!?”

“Fifteen! Fourteen! Thirteen!”

“Wha....oh my god, Gin! I just... holy shit! I had no idea!”

“Twelve! Eleven! Ten!”

“What? That I am and have been head over fucking heels for you for the past seven years? Yeah, well, I was!”

“Gin....”

“Nine! Eight! Seven! Six!”

“And I’m going to drop it now. I’m not going to lose you or Hermione as a friend, and it was pointless of me to even think that...” I sniffed, picking my shoes back up from where I dropped them.

“Five! Four! Three!”

“GINNY!” Harry bellowed, stopping me mid-stride and he walked up to me.

“What?!”

“I LOVE YOU!” And he pulled me forcefully against him and kissed me passionately.

“Two! ONE! HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!”

“Happy Bloody New Years.” Harry whispered as we broke the kiss. I smiled among my tears and pulled him for another kiss.

-------

Disclaimer. Not mine. It's all JK rowling's. One can only hope she sees the sense in putting Harry and Ginny together.

There was a bit of a quote from the first book (SS or PS, depending on where you're from. Cookie if you know what it is!

Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear