Search:

SIYE Time:14:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like That
By Slamphist

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: One kiss at a ball can change everything, and this time it definitely did. Only the idea came from the song.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4706



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter



You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This

A/N: First off, Huge thanks go to Soifra the Elf, my favoritest fluff author over at FA for beta-ing this for me, your comments really helped shape this. Secondly, if you're a country music fan, you'll probably recognize this title, and I did check it as a songfic, but I did that only because the general idea for the fic and one line came from You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This came from the song sung by Toby Kieth. I don't even own the comp this was typed on let alone the song or anything in the HP universe, so like I told someone the other week, you can sue me, but you'll have to take your pick between a turnip and a sow's ear.




^*=*^*=*^*=*^* =




Harry was at a loss for words, not that this was a new phenomenon, but the cause was. She had kissed him. This wonderful, sweet, "please come and chaperone the ball with me" woman he held in his arms had just kissed him.

"Say something Harry," she pleaded.

"You shouldn't kiss me like that, unless you mean it like that." He couldn't believe the words had left his mouth, but there they were, and as he thought back over the past year, he realized he wanted her to hear them. "Will you walk with me a while, there's something I've needed to say to you." Ginny nodded and allowed him to taker her arm and lead her to a secluded spot in the rose garden.

"Gin," he started, "I know, well I thought I knew that you put any idea of an 'us' behind you a long time ago, but I've never been able to shake this feeling that I had missed a chance at something really special when I took that job at Beaubaxtons..."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I never said anything before graduation, not even, or maybe especially not to Ron, but after you broke up with Dean I thought maybe..." he trailed off, "I'm really not very good at this sort of thing, ya know?"

"Go on." She smiled encouragingly.

"Well, after you gave up on me before 5th year, you became a really good friend and you brought a perspective to our 'trio' that, as it turned out, we really needed. I know it's a hackneyed notion, but I really did start to develop feelings for you. I swept them under the rug at first because you seemed really happy with dean, and then when you broke it off with him, I didn't want you to think I was trying to swoop in and take advantage so I buried them even further.

"Then seventh year came and there was that day in Hogsmeade when Ron and Hermione finally stopped arguing long enough to admit the reasons they set each other off so easily. As we sat alone laughing about it over a butter beer, I thought I noticed something come across your face, something a little sad and yet resigned. It was like you were hoping something would happen, but you knew it never would. In that look I saw my one hope, however, being who I am, fate decided that was the time to have Voldemort make his final strike.

"After losing so many that day, especially Dumbledore..." he paused and she nodded in understanding.

"Then N.E.W.T.s came and I received the offer from Beaubaxtons for their DADA position and I figured that I could let the distance put any feelings behind me forever. That didn't work, and I kicked myself almost every day for not at least taking the chance.

"So here I was, last day of school, three years later and an owl shows up from Minerva saying that Kingsley was going to take a supervisory position in MLE and that she'd like me to come back and take over. I knew you were here doing an internship with Poppy, and I couldn't pass up a chance to be near you again, no matter what it would cost my heart. So I packed up my bags that night and headed home.

"As this year started and you seemed so happy to see me again I knew I'd made the right choice. No matter that it killed me to have you around all the time, knowing that you held no more regard for me than you did for Ron.

"Turns out it was harder than I ever thought. You'd sit next to me at meals, and not give any reaction at all if our knees bumped or we reached for the saltcellar at the same time. On the many occasions the seventh year classes got a little out of control, you treated me with the utmost professionalism. Meanwhile I was trying to keep the thoughts that were running through my head from having any physical manifestations."

"Harry James Potter," she shook her head amusedly, "you never cease to amaze me. First off, as far as any encounters in the infirmary go, of course I treated them and you professionally, it is, after all, my chosen profession. Secondly," her eyes softened, "it's hard to see someone's heart do flips, and equally hard to see my stomach leap when I would think for a split second that you had touched my foot with yours on purpose. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

"Then one day last week, call it hope or what ever, I looked to your face to see if you were reacting, and I didn't want to acknowledge the blush I though I saw there. Yes, when McGonagall announced at the final staff meeting last year that you'd be replacing Kingsley, I wondered. 'You've been over him for years,' I told myself, 'don't put yourself through that again.'

"Then you showed up and I counted myself lucky there weren't any butter dishes around, since I had new robes on for the first day of school. All the feelings I had fought so hard to displace came back home to roost. I liked the friendship we had been able to share since I got over you so I did my best to keep my cool. But like I said, I did see a blush, so the next day I rubbed your foot on purpose to se if it would come back, and sure enough, there it was."

"I thought one of those felt a little deliberate," he mused, "especially seeing as you were looking me in the eye."

"So you're not as thick as you seem." She smiled and continued, "At any rate, I knew that this time I was going to have to take a chance, especially since I had done my damnedest not to give you any indication, and this Yule ball seemed the perfect chance."

"So begging me to chaperone with you was just a ploy huh?" he teased, " and here I thought it was due to the good example I set for the students."

"Does this answer your question?" With that she leaned into him and put ten years worth of denying her emotions into one soul-searing kiss.
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear