Search:

SIYE Time:2:28 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Owl Me When You're Thirty
By AnnaBrea

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 54
Summary: "If you're not married by the age of thirty, owl me."
Hitcount: Story Total: 7066







ChapterPrinter


A/N: This one’s for all those who reviewed my first fic “With A Kiss.” Thank you for giving me the inspiration to come up with another story when I thought “With a Kiss” was my last.

***
Ginny Weasley stood at the side of her four-poster bed, staring at the new robes she’s supposed to wear in around 5 hours. Today is her graduation day. Today, a chapter in the book of her life closes as one is to open anew. She can hardly believe it. Voldemort is finally gone, defeated by her good friend Harry Potter. She has passed all her subjects, even Potions, and has even managed to make Hermione a little bit jealous (and Harry clandestinely proud) when she got the highest marks ever in Defense Against the Dark Arts — at least in the witch’s category. Harry, on the other hand, got the equal fame slot — the wizard with the best DADA marks. In the occasion of rejoicing, the results of the N.E.W.T.s were given out early. Ginny didn’t know whether she actually did extremely well, or if the testing committee was just too relaxed (and perhaps lowered their standards) because of all the elation the entire wizarding world has been feeling due to Voldemort’s ultimate and final demise. It was like being together with Michael Corner on a DA class all over again. She didn’t know whether she was really good at the spells, or if Michael just didn’t want her hurt ( “Did you know I was thinking the exact same thing?”, Harry asked her once.). In the end, she realized that it was neither. Michael was just not good at the spells, hence giving Ginny a one-up. It was Hermione who finally put her insecurities to rest. According to the cleverest witch ever to walk the halls of Hogwarts, the N.E.W.T.s maintain the same level of difficulty in the examinations every year. Moreover, the testing committee can never lower their standards, simply because doing so will be a violation of Article 17 of the Magical Examinations Code.

Wow, Ginny thought. I can’t believe I’m graduating with honors. She has always been serious about her academics, but she also cannot deny the fact that she was more of a “Fred and George” than a “Percy.”

A Trophy for Academic Distinction will be given to her later on, at the Graduation Ceremony. The news of such an award has delighted her entire family, including the two persons whom the Weasleys considered as part of their household: Harry and Hermione.

Much to her pleasure, Ginny received a congratulatory note from Hermione and Harry. Hermione, as always, was prim and proper with the congratulations part, but was fun and outgoing when it came to the “how are you” part. Harry, on the other hand, was another story.

Dear Ginny,

Ron told me you’re getting an award on your Graduation, congratulations! I’m really proud of you. Who would have thought that your beauty and charms can make Snape overlook the four exams you flunked in Potions?!

Before you plan on how best to hit me with that Bat-Bogey Hex of yours the next time you see me, I’d like you to know and accept the fact that I was just joking. But I meant what I said about you being beautiful and charming.

When’s the ceremony going to be held and where? Maybe I can get some time off from training.

Congratulations once again!

See you soon.

Keep the faith,
Harry.



Nothing could have made Ginny more excited for the Graduation Ceremony than Harry’s “Maybe.” Of course, she knew that she’d be a fool to expect Harry to watch the ceremony. He’s been quite busy these days. But since Professor Dumbledore has scheduled it on a weekend, she had the courage to hope that she would at least see Harry’s messy black hair from among the seated audiences.

And now, the day she has been waiting for has finally arrived. Her heart was thumping wildly in her chest. She was nervous not because she’s afraid of tripping on her way up to the stage, but because there has been no word of confirmation from Harry that he’s going to be there. All there was is a “maybe” that hung between Ginny’s hopes and Harry’s schedule. She’s tried more than once to ask Ron and Hermione if Harry is indeed free on this particular weekend, but when they started to ask too many questions, she cleverly dropped the subject.

A few hours before the ceremony is to begin, however, she could no longer stop herself from inquiring whether the “Hunk-Who-Lived” was going to attend her graduation.

“Er, Ron… have you spoken to Harry lately?” Ginny asked her brother, whose right arm was comfortably resting on Hermione’s shoulder.

Ron’s brows snapped up and his lips curved into a teasing smile when he answered, “Yes. Why?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. Her brother certainly wasn’t going to let a genuine “Tease Ginny Till You Don’t Know Where Her Hair Ends and Her Face Begins” moment pass. She also noticed that even Hermione was trying her best not to laugh.

“Because…” Ginny tried desperately not to blush.

“Because why?” Ron asked in a sing-song voice. Hermione cleared her throat and decided to make things a bit easier for the witch of the hour.

“Last I heard, Ginny,” Hermione began, “he has this weekend off. But last night, Ron got an owl from Moody saying that all trainees need to report for a drill this morning.”

“Oh, I see,” came Ginny’s quick and nervous reply. So maybe he’s just going to be late? “Er, Ron? How come you’re still here?”

Ron shook his head and feigned disbelief, “Honestly, Ginny! Do you really think I’d go to some pathetic drill rather than attend my sister’s graduation?”

Ginny gave him a small smile, indicating that she appreciated him being here — but she needed facts not flattery. “Uh-huh. What exactly did you tell Moody?”

Hermione laughed and muttered something like “She knows you too well, Ron.”

Ron sighed, “I told him I’ll do my shift next week.”

“And?” Ginny asked further.

“And that I’ll work three extra hours during the weekdays,” Ron admitted in defeat.

Ginny made a half-meant, half-sarcastic “Awwwwwwwwwwwwww” sound then proceeded to give Ron a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks, Ron. You really are my favorite brother!”

Ron blushed, but he smiled while saying, “Anytime, sis.”

They stayed there for a few more minutes, just outside the Great Hall. Much as Ginny tried her best to show enthusiasm at the stories Ron has been narrating, deep inside she still cautiously looked out for signs of Harry Potter. When Hermione noticed that her eyes kept on drifting towards the Hallway — left to right, right to left — instead of focusing on Ron, the older witch reached out to touch Ginny’s arm gently, smiled, and said: “Come on, Gin, they’re already calling in the graduates.”

Seeing Hermione’s soft and sympathetic expression, Ginny smiled back and said, “Yes! Let’s go! It’s time.”

Two hours, strained eyes and neck, and a gleaming trophy later, there was still no Harry Potter. Ginny slowly walked over to where her favorite redheaded (and a bushy-brown haired witch) people stood. Their eyes were twinkling with mirth, and their smiles were proud smiles indeed. She made one last look behind her, to her right and to her left, before she finally focused on the group before her.

“Hey you!” Fred greeted her, as George patted her on the shoulder a bit strongly. This earned the twins a glare from the previously wide-smiling Molly Weasley.

After a kiss from her Mum and a hug from her Dad, Ginny enveloped her brothers and Hermione in a big hug whilst saying countless “Thank Yous” ( “Oooh! Group hug!” exclaimed Fred.) On their way out of Hogwarts, each of them launched into their own recounts of how life has been for them during the past few days, leaving an extremely quiet albeit smiling Ginny Weasley. The graduate’s eyes were fixed on her family, but her thoughts were far away from the people who were talking and the paths they were walking upon. Her thoughts were fixed on a certain wizard who officially broke an unofficial promise.

The celebration dinner at the Burrow was fantastic — the food was great, the conversations were delighting, the jokes entirely amusing, and the ambience absolutely wonderful. Truly, dinner was fantastic — but not perfect. And the only imperfection can be summarized in two words: Harry Potter.

“So,” Fred began, laughing as he relayed the latest incident in their shop, “this witch comes in and asks for a Carrot Changing-----“

Ginny was unable to hear whatever Fred has said after that. Her stomach suddenly made strange noises, and her head felt nauseous. Fred was still narrating his story animatedly, and the rest of her family all had smiles on their faces — eagerly awaiting the next part of the tale. Molly, however, noticed that her daughter’s face was beginning to be outlined with discomfort.

“Ginny dear, are you alright?” Molly asked, obviously concerned. Fred stopped abruptly from his story-telling, and all heads turned towards the youngest Weasley.

Not wanting to worry them, Ginny gave a small smile and excused herself. “I think I had too much chocolate cake. I need to go to the loo.”

Everyone in the table remained quiet. From her peripheral vision, she saw Hermione lean over to whisper something in Ron’s ear. But what distracted her most was Bill’s hushed question as she walked out of the dining area: “I thought you guys said Harry’s going to be at the ceremony?”

***

The cool night’s breeze actually helped Ginny get rid of her nausea. Deciding that it was indeed a beautiful night — with or without Harry — Ginny walked over to the front lawn and sat down on the grass. She looked up saw that the smooth black sky was adorned with diamond-like stars. Finally, she smiled. Maybe I’m just meant to enjoy the day by myself, without thinking too much of Harry.

“Hey,” a familiar voice greeted.

Maybe not.

Ginny looked up from where she sat and saw the wizard she’s been waiting all day for. “Hi, Harry.”

“Hi, yourself,” Harry said as he sat down beside Ginny. He looked tired — as though he’s just been on a marathon which ran from China to London. From Ginny’s point of view, he still looked gorgeous.

Ginny hugged her legs and rested her chin on her knees. Harry saw this as an opportunity to gently touch her waist as if to tickle her. “You didn’t think I’d miss your graduation, did you?”

Acting on reflex, Ginny uncurled her legs and moved slightly away from Harry, the frustrated tickle-monster. “Actually, you did miss it.”

“No, I didn’t,” Harry said matter-of-factly. “You told me it’s today, Saturday. You didn’t give me a specific time. And well, it’s only 9:17 PM, it’s still Saturday, so technically, I made it just in time.”

“Technically,” Ginny said quietly, her head bowed. Much as she was glad to have Harry seated beside her now, she still could not hide her disappointment that he wasn’t there to witness her graduation ceremony.

“Hey,” Harry said as his right hand moved to touch Ginny’s chin. By gently guiding her chin, Harry made Ginny face him. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there at the ceremony.”

Ginny smiled and looked up at the sky again, so that Harry’s hand disconnected with her chin. “It’s okay, Harry,” Ginny told him, meaning it. “I know about Moony’s unexpected drill. Hermione told me about it. Ron was just lucky he got out of it.” They both knew that the last sentence Ginny blurted out was a version of the real question she’s been wanting to ask: How come you didn’t get out of it? What’s your excuse?

As if reading her mind, Harry answered, “I don’t have an excuse. All I have is an explanation. I woke up this morning dead nervous about what to wear to your graduation. Then I got this bloody call from Moody — requiring that I report in. Yes, Ron did get out of it — only because Moody made me work Ron’s supposed shift. Old Alastor didn’t tell Ron that.”

This made Ginny look at the wizard who finally defeated Voldemort and gave the entire magical world a better future, a better life. This time, however, it was Harry who looked up.

“I’m really sorry. I wanted to be there so badly, but Moody wouldn’t let me. He said he’ll kick me out of the training if I didn’t do the shift. But he also said that he’s giving me tomorrow and Monday as my free days, so that means I have 48 hours to make up for the two precious hours I missed out on.”

Finally, they locked gazes. Meaning it more this time, Ginny replied “It’s okay, Harry. I understand.” And then, she flashed him the brightest smile that would rival the sparkle of the diamonds that bedecked the velvet night sky. Harry reached out once again and caressed her cheek. Ginny leaned to his touch, but was dismayed that he removed his hand quite suddenly.

“Oh, I got you something,” he said excitedly as he reached into the pocket of his faded blue jeans.

Ginny’s heart leapt when Harry retrieved a blue velvet ring-box from his pocket. What could his gift be?

“Oh, Harry! You shouldn’t have! I would have forgiven you after a week even without a gift, you know!” Ginny said, smiling widely.

“Yeah well, this little baby would save me from the seven-day torture then!” Harry answered back, laughing.

“What is it?” Ginny asked, running her forefinger over dark blue ribbon which lined the small box.

Waggling his eyebrows, Harry replied: “Only one way to find out.”

With her heart beating loudly, Ginny untied the ribbon and opened the box. Indeed, inside it was a platinum ring circled with small diamonds. So it’s a ring! But what kind of ring is it?

And as if exemplifying mind-reading abilities, Harry told her: “It’s a friendship ring.”

“Oh, yeah,” Ginny said, nodding — feeling silly that she dared hope for it to be an engagement ring. “A ring which friends give friends!” she exclaimed happily.

For a brief moment, Harry’s brows met in confusion but he recovered with a smile and a small nod, “Yeah. A gift between friends, I think.”

Ginny then wrapped her arms around a surprised Harry. “Thank you so much!” Harry quickly snapped from the shock and wrapped his arms around Ginny as well, “You deserve it.”

When they pulled apart, Harry popped a question: “So, Ginny, what are your plans now that you’ve graduated?” While saying every word of the said question, Harry moved to take the ring from Ginny’s hand and carefully slipped the ring onto her left ring-finger. Ginny could only watch him in utter admiration.

“Ginny?”

“Oh yeah,” Ginny finally spoke, breaking away from another one of her mastered Harry-trances. “Well,” she began, “I don’t really know. I reckon I’d take that part-time job in Fred and George’s shop first. Give me a bit of rest and a source of income at the same time. After that, I might consider training to become a Healer… or maybe I’d go study higher charms. I’m not sure yet.”

“Wow,” Harry breathed, “such many options you have. And all of them with a distinctive sense of direction!”

Ginny snorted, “What? You didn’t think I’d do something crazy and irrational like get married right after graduation right?”

Harry raised his eyebrow and lowered his head so that he and Ginny were on eye-level (and only around an inch apart), “I don’t know. What if you suddenly decide to get married a week after working in the twins’ shop?”

Ginny laughed, “Yeah right! Like I’d want my Prince Charming to be purchasing a regular supply of Canary Creams and Tongue Toffees!”

Harry laughed with her. But then, Harry asked her a question she was very much unprepared to answer, “So when do you really want to get married?”

Why are we on the subject of marriage all of a sudden?! Ginny thought.

Pretending to be in deep thought, Ginny held up her fingers and counted. “Hmmm,” she said when she faced Harry again, “Perhaps I’d settle down when I reach the blooming age of twenty six.”

“You’ve got nine years to look for that lucky bloke, then!” Harry said, half-joking and half-meaning what he just uttered. I’ve already found him, Ginny thought, he just hasn’t found me yet.


“Yeah well,” Ginny said as she stood up and brushed off the dirt from her pants, “if I’m not married by the age of thirty, that means I’m going to be an old maid.”

Harry stood up as well and said, “If you’re not married by the age of thirty, owl me.”

“And then what?” Ginny asked, partly excited and partly afraid of what his answer might be.

“I’ll marry you.”

They both know that the whole nature of the conversation is supposed to be a joke — but somehow, their words have bound themselves yet again in another promise. Hearing her mother’s call and announcement that it was time to get in, Ginny stood on tiptoes and gave Harry a quick peck on the cheek as she whispered, “Alright, I will.”

After she bade goodnight and thanked Harry once again, she moved to walk back to the house. However, Harry stopped her by gently grabbing her right arm. “Hey, wait.”

“Yeah?” Ginny asked, curious as to what Harry has to say.

“You know that gift I gave you? The gift between friends?”

“Yes, what about it?”

“Well, they say it’s more memorable when coupled with a kiss ---- a kiss between friends.”

Ginny drew a sharp breath and felt her cheeks redden. Why am I blushing? He already emphasized that it’s a kiss between “friends”!

Three seconds later, she realized what the blush was for as Harry’s soft lips touched hers. The kiss lasted for about three years, eight months, two weeks, one day, four hours, and seventeen seconds — or so Ginny thought and felt. When they broke apart, Harry kissed her forehead and whispered “Good night.”

Once again, she turned to walk towards the back door of their house. This time, Harry didn’t grab her arm to stop her.

He simply called out, “Hey, Ginny!”

Ginny stopped from her tracks and faced him, “Yes?” The two of them were still blushing from the kiss they both knew was definitely not a kiss between friends.

With a smile, Harry told her: “You don’t have to wait until you’re thirty, you know.”

Smiling back, Ginny replied, “I know.”





- THE END -

If you have time, please review!

A/N — A bit short and hanging, I know. But I just wrote this to express my gratitude to the wonderful reviewers. Hope you guys enjoyed it. To Miss Weasley-Potter, you know where I got the “Keep the Faith” line. Once again, this one’s for Nicee (hope you and James are doing well) and for my favorite fic writers — Alcarcalime, coffeebean, Galena, and Jenna Mae (and the rest of my PHP Family). Somehow, someway, this goes out to a Sirius Black — Congratulations! I don’t need a friendship ring. A smile would make the ceremony complete.




Reviews 54
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear