Search:

SIYE Time:7:29 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Proper Valentine
By Velvethope

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 25
Summary: Takes place in Harry's 6th Year. A little (late) Valentine for all the Harry and Ginny fans out there. Hopefully, it puts a smile on your face!
Hitcount: Story Total: 6137







ChapterPrinter


A Proper Valentine



“I don’t know, mate... just pick something already, would you? Some of us have other things to worry about,” Harry said grumpily as Ron, for what had to be the tenth time, went back and forth over which Sugarquill flavor to buy Hermione for Valentine’s Day. Ron of course, just ignored his grumbling.

It was a Saturday in Hogsmeade. The last Saturday in January and Ron, in regular Ron fashion, had left his Valentine’s Day gift until the very last moment. Unfortunately, it was also the first sunny day they’d had in a month and Harry was itching to get in some Quidditch practice before the sun set. He really wanted to get out there and try a few new moves. Very few things brought him as much joy as playing Quidditch nowadays, and he’d realized how much he had missed it the year before.

The year when everything had went to... well, hell.

Voldemort coming back... no one believing him. Almost getting kicked out of school... Umbridge. Dumbledore leaving... mind-bending headaches. Having to spend extra time with Snape... finding out that his father had been a bit of a prat. Cho Chang and her need to use him as a human tissue. The Prophecy... and then finally, of course: Sirius.

Harry closed his eyes when he thought of his godfather and for the first time in a long time he didn’t feel that first break of guilt overcome him. Maybe this meant he was getting better. Maybe it meant the pain was finally lessening. This year had been better in loads of ways, to begin with, which was amazing in and of itself. Sure he was still worried about Voldemort, and of course he was still worried about those he cared about. He still hated Draco Malfoy with every inch of his being, but Harry was slowly realizing that he couldn’t carry everything around inside him anymore. If Sirius’s passing had done anything, it had shown Harry that you had to let some things go in the end. Otherwise he’d end up a nutter in St. Mongo’s keeping Lockhart company at dinnertime.

He watched Ron and sighed. Ever since Ron had decided that he liked Hermione and that he was finally going to tell her, he’d been the one applying for Lockhart-Watch himself. Harry shook his head. Had he been this annoying over Cho? Goodness, he hoped not.

“Okay, done,” Ron said as he came over carrying two large bags. “You can stop your grouching. I’m sorry you don’t have a girl Harry, but these things are important.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “You’re the one who wanted us to practice on the pitch this afternoon. You’re the one who brought up the new moves in our last meeting. If I’d known Quidditch Captains were so easily distracted by the fairer sex I would have set Oliver Wood up after my first match.”

Ron made a face at him. “Look, I wasn’t sure what kind to get her. I want everything to be ... well... perfect.”

Harry laughed despite his bad mood. “I can’t believe this is you talking, Ron.”

“Yeah,” Ron said after a moment, his face in an expression of wonder, “I can hardly believe it myself. You know, maybe I should go-”

“No!” Harry exclaimed and grabbed his friend’s arm. “Out the door with you. I’m getting you out of here while the getting is good. Come on, or your sister will have the whole team done and showered before we even get there.” He managed to pull Ron out of the shop.

“Nah, Ginny’s not going to be out there. She said she had plans of her own to take care of.”

Harry stopped and looked at Ron. “What plans?”

Ron shrugged. “I don’t know. She doesn’t make me privy to every last detail. Probably something to do with Valentine’s Day. I can’t believe they’re letting us have a dance, what with everything going on out there. I reckon they think we could use something to lift the spirits,” Ron paused, his expression turning dark. “I think Ginny’s seeing someone new. I wish I knew who though, I’d like to have a few words with him.”

Harry let Ron pass him by, his mind working over the words he had just heard. Well, why should it matter to him if Ginny had Valentine’s Day plans? Just because he’d been spending a lot of his free time with her... it didn’t mean anything, did it? She was free to... well, to do whatever she wanted, really. What Harry couldn’t understand was why she hadn’t mentioned it to him at all, about a new guy. Oh, and what would you have said if she had? a noisy voice in his head asked him.

“Er... Harry, you’re the one who was in a hurry and now you’re just standing there. Come on, already,” Ron looked back at him with impatience.

Harry nodded and caught up with his friend. He pushed the idea of Ginny and whoever it was she was planning things with, out of his mind.

***



“Oh, Ginny, you look amazing.”

Hermione stared at her in awe and Ginny had to laugh. She had just tried on the dress she was going to wear to the Valentine’s Day dance and she had to admit, it did look nice. It was pale lavender with hints of small green flowers running through it. It made her fair coloring stand out all the clearer and for once, Ginny didn’t think that was a bad thing.

“Oh, please Hermione. You act as though I’ve never cleaned up before.”

Hermione smiled. “Well, you do wear those Quidditch robes a great deal and you do tend to cover yourself up in your school robes. What till he sees you in this, he’s going to flip.”

Ginny frowned at her friend. “Wait till who sees me?”

“Why...” Hermione blinked at her in confusion. “Whomever it is you’re going with, of course. I’m assuming you have a special night planned, you’ve been talking about this dress for a month.”

“Well, yeah... but, I don’t have a date, really. I mean, a few people have asked but-”

Hermione looked at her knowingly then. “But not the one you wanted?”

Ginny shook her head. “To be truthful I don’t know who I want to ask me. I’m just getting all girly because I felt like it, really. With everything going on out there, I thought it might be nice to just have a... good time.”

“By yourself though?”

“Well, no, but... I’m not going to go with someone just to have a date. I don’t really need one, anyway. Neville’s already promised to dance with me and so has Colin, so I’ll be okay.”

“I thought Neville was going with Susan Bones?”

“He is, but he said he’d save a song for me. Now how about you? Ron’s asked, right? Please tell me he has.”

Ginny watched as Hermione suddenly decided her feet were the most interesting things in the world.

“Er... well, yes actually.”

“Hermione! That’s great. Except why are you-?”

Hermione turned a bit pink in the cheeks and started to pretend she was now fascinated by her hair.

“Well, it’s just... he asked me, Ginny, and I was so surprised. I mean, it’s Ron, you know?”

Ginny smirked. “Maybe my brother has finally let a few things sink in. He never was the quickest broom out of the shed, Hermione. You should know that.”

“Yes,” Hermione said, a small smile playing on her face, “But why now, all of a sudden? I mean he asked me and then... well, things just went back to how they were before... I mean, you don’t suppose he... he just wants to go as friends do you?”

Ginny bit her lip and sat down on top of her bed. “Well, don’t take it from me, I’m far from an expert, but it seems to me guys don’t really know what to do after they’ve asked someone. I mean, even after Michael asked me to go out he still never talked to me really. I had to do all the work. Just once I’d like to be swept off my feet,” Ginny giggled at the thought. “But don’t worry, Hermione. Ron’s... well, Ron’s crazy about you.”

“Do you think?”

Ginny smiled at her friend. “Yeah, I think. And if he isn’t then he’s a bigger git than I ever gave him credit for. I’ll Bat-Bogey Hex him to next week if he doesn’t at least try to do something romantic for you.”

“Oh, Ginny, it’s not that important. I’m happy just to be going with such a good friend. It makes it easier, really. More comfortable. You should consider it.”

Ginny turned away from her and went to take off her dress. Consider going with a good friend huh? Now who would fall into that category?

No one she knew.

No one with dark black hair and green eyes, that was for sure. Harry would no more go with her to a dance then he would go with Filch. Ginny giggled at the thought. Well, okay, maybe he’d go with her over that one, but really...

Her and Harry were friends though, finally and she didn’t want to upset that. He’d talk to her sometimes, when Ron and Hermione were out doing Prefect duties or arguing about something. She never asked him about Sirius, never pressured him. For awhile it was because she knew her brother and Hermione were doing enough of that themselves. And then later, when they had given up trying to break through to him, her and Harry had already found themselves other things to talk about. She’d realized at Christmas time that the strangest thing had happened. Her and Harry had finally become real friends. She knew he didn’t think of her only as Ron’s little sister anymore and she knew she didn’t think of him as The Boy Who Lived. He was Harry. Just Harry. And she’d realized that she liked him a lot better than she’d thought possible.

Still, it didn’t mean she wanted to go to the dance with him did it? No, that was entirely too second year for her. Ginny frowned at the memory.

Ugh, that entire year. I wish I could just make it disappear. How embarrassing, crushing over him as though he were a fluffy bunny.

“Ginny?”

Ginny came back to stand in front of the mirrors; her old school robes back in place.

Hermione looked at her as she looked in the mirror.

“What about going with Harry?”

Ginny shook her head and offered her friend a smile. “Hermione, please. I’m sure Harry’s asked someone already.”

“No, he hasn’t. Ron doesn’t think he’s even going to go to the dance.”

Ginny shrugged. “I haven’t heard him talk about it true, but I reckon we can’t really force him to do anything if he doesn’t want to. He’s Harry. He’ll do what he pleases.”

Hermione turned around and smiled at her. “Reminds me of someone else.”

Ginny rolled her eyes and picked up her book bag, she needed to get some studying done, now that she knew the dress fit right.

“Goodbye Hermione,” she called as she left her friend. “I’ll see you for dinner, right?”

“Ron and I have a Prefect’s meeting. I might be late.”

Ginny stopped at the stairs and looked back at her, smiling. “Why don’t you... ah... feel Ron out tonight then? See if he thinks this dance is going to be friendly or not.”

Ginny chuckled as she saw Hermione blush.

***



A few days later, Harry and Hermione were in the library. She was trying to teach him about the subtle art of making a complex Sleeping Draught and he was wondering how long he’d have to hum and uh huh before he could leave.

Hermione sat back from him, exasperated. “You’re not even paying attention, Harry. As usual. I swear, between you and Ron, I don’t know how you two managed to pass Potions last year.”

“Hermione, it’s Friday night. I wanted to do this yesterday, but you had a Prefect meeting. My brain is tired. Can’t we do this on Sunday? The essay’s not due until Monday.”

“Sunday’s the dance.”

Harry frowned. “Oh, yeah. I forgot. Sorry.”

He paused for a moment and then looked at her. “So... talked to Ron about what you two are going to do?” he asked in what he hoped was a casual voice. Harry knew exactly what Ron had in mind, but he was curious about Hermione’s ideas about the whole thing.

“Well, I suppose we’ll just go to the dance and... dance. What else can we do?”

Harry suppressed a smile. “Er... well, nothing too dangerous I suppose. You two are school prefects after all.”

Harry loved the expression on his friend’s face.

“What exactly does Ron have in mind, Harry?” Hermione asked, her eyes narrowed.

“Nothing. Nothing.” Yeah, nothing, right. Except to tell you how he feels about you, finally. Should be a perfectly calm evening.

Harry bowed his head and smirked as he pretended to read about the properties of Nightshade again.

“Harry. Tell me what Ron is planning. Please?”

Harry looked up at her. “Not for the world, Hermione.”

“So you’re going then?”

“Going where?”

“To the dance,” she said, slightly exasperated. “What we’ve just been talking about?”

“I hadn’t planned on it.”

“And why not?”

“Because-” Harry paused, saying that he just didn’t feel like it sounded like such a lame excuse, even to him. “Because I don’t have anyone I want to go with.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Well, either does Ginny and she’s going.”

Harry looked up at her in surprise. “Ginny’s going without a date?”

“Yes. Hasn’t she mentioned it? She’s just going to go. Very independent of her, I might add. I’m proud of her. She’s going to look fantastic.”

“Ron said she had a new guy... I just assumed,” Harry’s voice trailed off. Why did the idea of Ginny going alone seem sad to him? And why was he suddenly happy she wasn’t seeing anyone?

“You two spend all that time together and you never talk about things. Honestly.”

“Do you talk about things like this with Ron?”

Hermione blushed. “Well... no, not all the time.”

“Yeah, that’s what I thought. I like the things Ginny and I talk about. There’s no underlying pressure. It’s easy. We don’t talk about things unless we want to. It’s such a refreshing change,” Harry said pointedly.

Hermione made a face at him. “Fine. Point taken. However, I do think you should go to the dance. I’m sure Ginny would especially like it if you did.”

Harry frowned. “Why would Ginny especially like it?”

“Well, you’re friends of course. What girl doesn’t want to go with her friend?” Hermione said, a trace of a smile on her face.

Harry narrowed his eyes at her. “What are you getting at?”

Hermione sighed. “Oh, Harry, has it ever occurred to you that you and Ginny are... well, more than friends?”

“No.”

Herm ione rolled her eyes. “Boys. Honestly. Look, do you enjoy spending time with her?”

“Yes.”

“ Do you think she’s attractive?”

“Hermione, Ginny is...”

“What? Ron’s sister? Who cares. That’s not what I asked.”

“Ginny’s fine. Sure. She’s just Ginny.”

Hermione shook her head. “High praise indeed. Do you feel relaxed with her, at least?”

Harry squirmed. “Yeah, so? I never felt relaxed with Cho and that meant I liked her, right? That’s just the way it is.”

Hermione raised her eyebrow as though he had said something interesting. “Do you think that the only way to tell that you like someone is if they make you nervous?”

Harry blinked at her. How the heck should he know?

“Well, I reckon you just... sort of. Yeah.”

Hermione shook her head. “That’s not all there is to it, Harry. You have to look at the whole person, not just the butterflies in your stomach. Butterflies come and go, it’s the feelings that are left there afterwards that matter.”

Harry thought about it. After getting over his initial rush of feelings for Cho, he’d been left with feeling as though she’d just needed someone to cry with. And then she had started going out with someone else as though he, Harry, didn’t matter to her. He supposed he hadn’t, in the long run. Cho had been looking for some connection to Cedric’s death. She hadn’t been looking for him.

But Ginny? Harry didn’t feel butterflies when he looked at her. Oh sure, he thought she was alright and everything. She wasn’t ugly nor completely without appeal. But he’d never thought of her that way. In fact, he’d never really thought of her as more than Ron’s little sister till this year. He realized with a start that he now thought of her as a close friend. Just as close as Ron and Hermione were, at any rate. How had that happened?

Frowning at Hermione, he ignored her and went back to his studying. He and Ginny were just friends. That was all.

Then why don’t you want to go to the dance, a little voice questioned in his head.

Because he didn’t think it proper to dance with people you thought were friends, that’s why.

You’ve danced with Hermione before.

Harry growled inwardly at the annoying voice and told it to shut up.

Come on, don’t you think Ginny’s the tiniest bit pretty?

Harry snapped his book shut, making Hermione jump across from him.

“I’m going back to the Common Room, I can’t concentrate tonight. Thanks though Hermione, for... everything.”

Hermione nodded at him. “Okay, Harry. If you see Ron, tell him not to be late for duties tonight.”

He promised he would make sure Ron was on time for once and then left the library. The annoying little voice seemed to have left him and he sighed. Maybe he’d be able to interest someone in a game or two, in the Common Room. He needed to unwind.

***



“O h, very funny Ginny.”

Ginny laughed as Harry made a face at her. She had just successfully beaten him for the third time at Exploding Snap! and he was getting grouchy about it. But he was laughing, which was happening a little bit more these days, she had to admit. She liked it. She was glad she had stayed behind this evening and had found him alone in the Common Room.

“What’s the matter? Embarrassed to be losing to a girl?” she asked innocently.

Harry growled at her. “You. Are not merely a girl. You’re some insane Exploding Snap! Whiz wrapped in a pretty package meant to distract me.”

Ginny felt her skin flush and got up to pick up the game before he could notice.

Stop being a ninny, he didn’t mean that.

Harry sat down on the sofa near the fire and watched her. “I’m not playing you again, by the way. Three’s my limit of getting my arse kicked. I am not a glutton for punishment.”

Ginny looked back at him and winked. “That’s not what I’ve heard, Harry.”

As soon as she said it she felt her face burn again. What in Merlin’s name was wrong with her? Did she just flirt him? Damn Hermione for making me think about these things, anyway.

Harry didn’t say anything though and when she joined him on the couch he merely looked at her, the flames of the fire reflecting off his glasses.

She tugged a strand of hair behind her ear and looked at him. “Er.. what?”

“Nothing.”

Gi nny looked around. “Then er... sorry, but why are you just staring at me like that?”

“Was I?” he asked her, his voice sounding strange.

“Um... yes. Now stop it. You’re making me feel... self-conscious.”

Harry continued to watch her and then pulled his eyes away. Ginny felt herself exhale.

“Sorry,” he said quietly.

Ginny decided to make a joke out it. “This is your new ploy then? To disarm me with your silent stares so I break under the pressure and you will finally rein supreme?”

Harry looked at her and laughed. “No, I hadn’t thought of it that way, but if staring at you gives me an advantage, then I may have to start doing it more often.”

Ginny’s eyes widened. “Right. Well, reckon I’ll have to learn how to live with it then. Can’t see giving you an unfair advantage.”

Harry’s look changed from mirth to calculation. After a moment he spoke.

“Dare you.”

“Dare me what?”

“Dare you that I can stare at you and make you look away first.”

Ginny raised her eyebrow. “What would be the point of that?”

“The point would be that I would finally have something over you and I can get my pride back once and for all. I can’t always lose to the Weasleys. It’s not very dignified.”

Ginny gave him what she hoped was a disdainful smile. “Well, can we blink at all?”

“Of course, I don’t want our eyes to fall out.”

Ginny giggled. “What do I get if I win, though?”

Harry smiled wickedly at her. “Don’t worry, you’re not going to.”

“Oh ho ho. So confident. Make this worth my while and I might go along with it.”

Harry raised his eyebrow at her, a serious look coming onto his face then. “If you win, I’ll go with you to the Valentine’s Day Dance.”

Ginny blinked at him. “What?”

“I’ll go to the dance with you. I wasn’t going to go, but if you win this, I’ll make an appearance. Just for you.”

Ginny laughed but felt her stomach tighten. “You think I care about you going to the dance? I don’t care if you miss the whole thing, Harry.”

“This may be true, however, if you win, I will also be your slave for the entire evening,” Harry paused, a slight redness appearing on his cheeks. “Well, within reason of course. Come on Gin, how can you say no to having an able bodied person at your beck and call all night?”

Ginny considered it. It might be funny to have Harry running around, getting her punch, asking boys to dance for her... she giggled as she imagined this last bit.

“Okay. Deal. When do we start?”

“How about now?”

Harry turned so that he was facing her, the light of the fire playing on his face. His eyes were focused on hers and suddenly Ginny had a sinking feeling in the bottom of her stomach. She was definitely going to lose this game.

Harry didn’t say anything and merely looked at her, a thoughtful expression on his face. Ginny bit her lip, but didn’t look away. She tried to calm her mind, but she was finding it hard to do so. This is so silly, it’s just Harry, kept floating through her mind.

She didn’t realize that they had both bent forwards, moving close to the other. Harry’s eyes really were beautiful, she had to admit. They were so honest and open. She felt as though she could just get lost in his gaze.

It was with that thought that she felt her skin begin to heat up and she knew she was turning pink. She knew that he knew she was turning pink. A spark of amusement was in his eyes now and Ginny cursed to herself. Trying to strengthen her resolve, she held her head up higher.

“Getting weak?” he asked her quietly, his eyebrow arching upwards.

Ginny stuck out her tongue at him. “No, you?”

“Nope. I could stare at your eyes forever, Ginny Weasley.”

Ginny held her breath. He had said it jokingly, his voice light. But his eyes... his eyes had said something altogether different.

You can do this!

Ginny was feeling decidedly weaker though and she pulled her head back, never breaking eye contact. She frowned at him. What was he playing at?

“What’s the matter?”

“What are you playing at Harry?”

“Trying to win this game, Ginny.”

“Then stop flirting with me.”

Harry smiled and his eyes filled with warmth and Ginny really did feel her breath catch at that.

“We never said that was one of the rules.”

The insufferable git.

Ginny scowled and Harry laughed more, keeping his eyes trained on hers.

“You know, I never noticed Ginny, but your eyes are the most interesting color. They’re brownish green. It’s really...”

“You’re not going to win this way, you know.”

“Oh? What way is that?”

“Being a prat. Stop talking about my eyes.”

“Why? They’re really sort... of... pretty.”

Ginny blinked at him and almost looked away. Harry’s expression was dead serious and she suddenly didn’t think he’d been saying that because he wanted to win.

The thought seemed to occur to Harry too and she watched in wonder as his skin turned pink in embarrassment.

“What’s the matter, Harry?”

“Nothing.”

N ow it was Ginny’s turn to raise an eyebrow and she noticed that his eyes were growing darker.

“Oh, the flirt can’t take being flirted back with, eh? Well, well.”

Harry frowned. “Have you’ve been flirting with me? Did I miss it?”

Ginny felt a wicked smile fill her face and she laughed, making sure that she kept her eyes trained on his.

“Hmm. I can start. Is that what you want Harry? Do you want me to flirt with you? I can tell you how very sexy I think your eyes are, you know. Or how handsome you are. What? What’s the matter?”

Harry had turned a nice crimson color. But he kept his eyes trained on her and when he spoke his voice was gruff.

“Stop it.”

“What? You were just doing the same to me. Oh, I see how it is, you just like it if it’s on the other foot. Ah-ha ha. Interesting things I’ve learned about you tonight, Harry Potter-”

Ginny stopped talking as Harry did the unthinkable. He looked away.

“Ah ha! I win!” she said triumphantly as she jumped off the couch.

Harry gave her a strange look but didn’t say anything.

“What? Now you’re going to welch out?”

Harry stood up and mumbled something.

Ginny smiled. “Sorry, didn’t quite hear that?”

Harry turned around to face her, but didn’t meet her eyes.

“I said no. I am not welching out. I’ll go to the dance with you like I promised.”

Ginny folded her hands. “Oh, I’m going to have oh so much fun with this.”

Harry gave her another strange look and she suddenly didn’t feel happy anymore.

Oh, he doesn’t want to go with me, at all, she thought to herself.

“Look, Harry, if you don’t want to really go to the dance, it’s okay. I... won’t hold you to it.”

“No, I’ll go. It was my idea, right?”

“Well, yeah, but that was when you thought I was going to lose. Honestly, it’s not that big a deal. I was prepared to go by myself after all-”

“Look, I said I would go and I’m going. Okay?” Harry’s voice had rose an octave and Ginny shook her head.

“Okay, fine. Go then. Pick me up at seven in front of the staircase. But really, Harry, try not to look so bloody miserable about it when you’re doing it. I don’t want people to think I forced you or anything.”

Ginny didn’t wait for him to answer and marched past him to the girl’s dormitories. She didn’t understand what his problem was. She didn’t understand what her problem was.

She hoped that by tomorrow they would have both calmed down.

***



Harry cursed at his hair for the twelfth time that night. It was 6:35 and he was due to meet Ginny in less than half an hour and his hair still wouldn’t lie down flat in the back. What was the use of trying to comb it at all?

Using his wand one last time in a desperate attempt to smooth it, he finally gave up and stomped back to his bed, letting one of the other guys have a go at the mirror. This was exactly why he hadn’t wanted to go to this thing to begin with.

Yeah, well, that was before you noticed how pretty Ginny Weasley was, you idiot.

Last night the most amazing thing had happened. He’d realized, while staring into her very eyes, that Ginny did give him butterflies. But they were small ones. Ones that started out so slowly that he’d been unaware of them until they hit him full on. He’d just been staring at her lovely, wonderfully kind eyes and wham! it was like Buckbeak had rammed him from the side. And when she had blushed at his compliment he had felt the most peculiar feeling. It was like when Cho smiled at him, but different. Different because he already knew what that particular blush of Ginny’s already meant. Because he knew her that well. It was like knowing why Ron was blushing or any of the Weasley’s... but it was doubly pleasurable to watch it on her. He couldn’t wrap his head around it. Shouldn’t he be worrying about something other than a girl?

Ron came up the stairs, running and out of breath.

“I got stuck helping some first years get away from Snape. He was going to make them scrub his dirty old dungeon with no magic! Just for talking in class. The slimy git. I swear if he wasn’t...” Ron stopped himself and Harry knew he’d been about to say, ‘in the Order’. Harry glanced at Seamus and Dean talking at the mirror. He didn’t think they’d noticed.

Harry sat up and walked over to Ron, who looked on the verge of panicking.

“Ron, calm down. You’ve got... fifteen minutes. Surely that’s enough time?”

“What? Yeah. Yeah. Hey, listen I’m going to go and change in the Prefect’s bathroom, do you mind if I meet you downstairs? If you see Hermione... well... just tell her... I don’t know, make something up.”

Harry raised his eyebrow, but Ron was gone again before he could ask him why he wanted to get ready in the Prefect’s bathroom of all places.

With a sigh, Harry took one more glance at himself in the mirror. Somehow in the last five minutes, his hair actually seemed to have smoothed down a bit. Maybe fate was looking up.

Smoothing his robes in front, he was glad he still fit into the dark green dress robes Mrs. Weasley had picked out for him a year ago. He’d hate to go to this thing looking worse than he already did.

Ginny won’t care what you look like, anyway.

Was that true? Did Ginny care what he looked like? He didn’t know. He reckoned she must, otherwise she wouldn’t have liked him so much in second year.

Yeah, well, she got over it though, didn’t she?

Harry frowned. He was really starting to hate that voice in his head. He headed downstairs. Better to get this over with now, wasn’t it?

***



Ginny stood at the bottom of the stairs, waiting with Hermione. Ginny had to admit her dress did look wonderful. She had put her hair back, on top of her head, with small wispy curls dropping down. She had to admit that even it looked fairly nice. Her shoes however were another thing altogether. She grimaced as she switched feet again and Hermione winked at her.

“Didn’t think too much about what sort of shoes you’d have to wear, did you?”

“No. And you could have warned me that I wouldn’t like heels. Argh. How do you wear these things?”

“I don’t,” Hermione lifted up the edge of her dress to reveal her normal every day shoes. “My dress is long enough.”

Ginny pursed her lips and was about to reply when she heard a noise behind her. She looked up and felt her heart stop. It was Harry coming down the stairs and he looked... well, he looked incredible. She felt her mouth open in surprise.

It was nothing compared to the look that she saw on Harry’s face as he neared her. His eyes swept over her from head to toe and whatever it was he saw she knew he liked it. They stared at each other for a little bit and then realized Hermione was speaking to them.

“Ron? Where is he, Harry?”

Harry glanced away from Ginny. “Oh he ah... he... he’ll be here soon. He was stuck doing something. But he told me to tell you he won’t be long.”

Hermione made tutting noises and folded her arms. She looked up at the staircase, disgruntled.

“I suppose we should wait with her,” Ginny said softly. She felt as though she were in a dream.

“Yeah. Suppose that would be the best thing,” Harry said, meeting her eyes again. “You look amazing, Ginny.”

Ginny felt herself smile. “So do you. You clean up rather nice, Harry. And here I thought you’d come down in your old Quidditch robes.”

Harry blinked at her and then smiled. “I could say the same about you, you know. This is the most I’ve ever seen you look like a girl.”

Ginny blushed. “Watch it, Harry. I can still kick in these shoes. At least I think I can,” she looked down at her feet. Funny, the pain didn’t seem to bother her too much now.

Harry looked down as well and he laughed. “Ow. Those look like they hurt.”

“They do,” she admitted. “Something fierce. You’d better be a good slave tonight, I don’t think I’ll be doing much walking.”

“Just dancing, right?” he said softly and she looked up to meet his eyes. She felt her heart pounding in her chest. Why is it he can look at me like that and I just forget everything?

She was saved from replying by her brother’s better late than never entrance. Harry and Ginny watched as Ron crept up behind Hermione and reached around and stuck a Sugarquill under her nose. Hermione gasped and then turned around.

“Ron! You really scared me!”

“Sorry, Hermione. But I did get your favorite flavor to make it up to you. You like the Raspberry ones, right?”

Hermione looked down at the Sugarquill and then nodded. Ginny watched as Ron and Hermione eyed each other and she bit back a laugh. Harry did the same and they had to turn around.

“Do you think they realize that they’re making goo-goo eyes at each other in the middle of the Hall?” she asked him, quietly.

“No, and let’s not ruin it for us. I can’t wait to make fun of them tomorrow.”

“Just going as friends my arse,” Ginny said to herself as they walked into the Great Hall. Harry startled beside her.

“What did you say?”

“Hermione and Ron. She gave me this huge speech about how they were just going as friends. Please. Just look at them.”

Harry nodded and looked back at Hermione and Ron who had now apparently decided that they were the only two people in the entire castle.

“So, Ginny... what is the first thing I can do for you?” Harry said as he took a hold of her arm. She felt her skin flush in reaction.

“Oh, you don’t have to really be my slave, Harry. That was just silly. I’m just glad you’re not up in the Common Room feeling miserable.”

Harry looked at her in mock seriousness. “You won, fair and square. I looked away. So, I’m your slave. Would you like to dance? Have some punch?”

Ginny looked out across the Great Hall and smiled. They had decorated it with tiny red and purple hearts. Stars were sprinkled up above and every now and then one would fall towards the tables underneath. A small band of unmanned instruments played in the far corner, being led by Professor Flitwick. She could hear the deep sonorous melody of the cello from where they stood.

“Let’s dance, Harry,” she said and he scowled but complied. Leaving the two lovebirds behind them, she felt as though her feet were on air as he twirled her onto the dance floor.

“I hate dancing, you know,” Harry said, after a moment. He was looking at their feet.

“Well I would too, if I were staring at my feet all night, look up, you dolt,” Ginny said as she laughed.

Harry turned pink and shook his head. “No, then I’ll be stepping on your toes in those shoes and then I’ll really be in for it.”

“Harry, I went to the Yule ball with Neville. Do you think a few broken toes really frighten me at this point?”

Harry smiled at her then and she felt her heart skip a beat.

“Look, just do what I told Ron-”

“You taught Ron how to dance?”

“Of course. All my brothers have danced with me or learned how to dance with me at one point. It’s the only bonus of growing up in a house full of boys. Although, I reckon I didn’t think so at the time. Anyway, you look at your dance partner square in the eye and you make sure you have her in the right position, like this-”

Ginny took his hand and placed it on her waist. Well, now doesn’t that feel nice? she thought to herself. Then she took his other hand and put it into hers. She looked at him expectantly.

“Er... what?”

“Harry! I mean, you danced with Pavarti Patil, didn’t you?”

“I’ve blocked it out. You tell me.”

Rolling her eyes, she pulled his body closer to hers and she realized that with her heels on they were the perfect match in height. She looked into his eyes and suddenly forgot that she was standing in the middle of a crowded dance floor.

“Okay, now what?” Harry said after a moment, sounding breathless.

“We start to move. Slowly. Just... ow... look at my eyes, don’t look down.”

Harry did as she said and after the first stumbling movement, they moved in perfect synchronization. Ginny felt as though her world had been turned upside down. She couldn’t believe that she was dancing with Harry like this. She couldn’t believe he seemed to be enjoying it.

Harry was muttering something under his breath and she frowned, and tried to make out what he was saying.

“What are you muttering?”

He blinked at her in surprise. “Sorry, just... thinking of something.”

“Oh? Do tell.”

Harry blushed a little bit and then shook his head. “Do you remember that Valentine you sent me, in second year?”

Ginny frowned. “I never sent you a Valentine, Harry.”


“Sure you did, you know... the cupid... with the song, his eyes of pickled toad... or something like that?”

Ginny didn’t for the life of her know what he was talking about.

“I sent you a Valentine that said you had the eyes of a pickled toad? Funny, I don’t remember.”

“Oh. Oh, well... maybe you didn’t send it,” Harry said, looking away from her suddenly.

Ginny bit her lip. “Well, what about it?”

“What? Oh... nothing... I just... wanted to say it was nice to be sent a proper Valentine. I’d never had one before that, you know.”

Ginny giggled. “Oh, I’m sorry, Harry. But... it wasn’t really a proper Valentine, was it? I mean, comparing your eyes to pickled toad? Not exactly romantic.”

“No, I reckon not. Still...” he shrugged and Ginny got the feeling that she had said something wrong.

Feeling daring, she stopped dancing and took his hand.

“Where are we going?”

“Come on, I want to give you something.”

She led him out the doors of the Great Hall and into the front lawn of the school, which was decorated in tiny cupids and flowers. She turned around and faced him.

“Would you mind if I did give you a Valentine, now?”

Harry looked at her in confusion. “Were we supposed to give each other something because I-”

Ginny reached over and kissed his cheek. He stared back at her in wonder.

“What was that for?”

“That was a proper Valentine.”

Harry stared at her and shook his head. “I don’t think so, Ginny.”

Ginny felt disappointment. “Oh, well, maybe you’d want it from someone else then... like... I don’t know... Cho.”

Harry snapped his head up and looked at her oddly. “What makes you think I want anything from Cho?”

“Well, you fancied her didn’t you? I mean... you still do for all I know.”

“No, I don’t.”

Ginny looked at him. He had put his hands in his robe pocket and he was staring at her intently.

“You kissed her though, I mean... right?”

Harry looked uncomfortable. “Well, yeah. But so what? It was just a kiss. Wasn’t even a very good one, I reckon. She was too busy crying.”

Suddenly her brother Bill’s voice was going through her head and she couldn’t believe it...

If it’s just a kiss, then you’re not doing it right, eh sis?

“Or it could just be I’m a lousy kisser. I don’t know,” Harry was saying, his brow furrowed.

“Harry, do you like me?”

Harry looked at her in surprise. “Well, yeah, I mean, you’re... Ginny, of course I do.”

“Do you like me like you want to kiss me like me or... am I just Ron’s sister?”

“Er... well...” Harry looked at his feet and then shook his head. “Do you want me to like you like I want to kiss you?”

Ginny bit her lip and thought about it. She realized she did want him to like her. She wanted him to like her very much.

Well what do you know about that? the little voice in her head said.

She moved in closer to him until he had backed up against the wall of the castle. She smiled at him and brought her hand to his face.

“I want you to do whatever it is you want to do, Harry. I’m not going to corner you into anything. If you want to kiss me, you’ll kiss me.” She moved away from him and turned away, giving him room to breathe.

For the longest moment nothing happened and Ginny felt as though she were dying inside. What an idiot you are, she thought to herself. You should have just thrown him against that wall and snogged him senseless. At least then you could live with the memory...

Ginny felt Harry’s hand on her shoulder and she turned around. He was looking at her with a strange expression. She opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong and he put his finger to her mouth, silencing her. With a shaky hand he pulled her face to his.

“Now this, Ginny, is a proper Valentine.”

***



“So what exactly did that Valentine say... the rest of it?”

They were sitting in the Common Room, still in their dance clothes. Harry had his arm around her and they were holding hands. He had never felt this comfortable in his life. He had never felt so butterfly free. He would have to tell Hermione that she had been right.

“Er... well, let’s see...” he paused trying to recall the exact wording. “Er... his eyes are as green as fresh pickled toad...” Ginny giggled into his shoulder. “His hair is dark as a ... blackboard...” He watched Ginny bite her lip in amusement. “ I wish he were... mine... he really is divine...” Ginny burst out with something that sounded like a snort and a gasp. “...the hero who conquered the Dark Lord...” Ginny pulled away from him, grabbing her sides.

“Oh my goodness. That’s horrible. Who on earth sent you that?” she managed to squeak out, after laughing for a good solid minute.

Harry folded his hands and looked sullenly at her. “That’s the only Valentine I’ve ever gotten you know. I like it.”

Ginny bit her lip and looked as though she were going to laugh again. Instead she crawled back into his arms and faced him.

“What about this one?”

A moment later Harry opened his eyes, smiling at her. “That was pretty nice, yeah. You learn fast.”

“I had a good teacher.”

“Oh? Is Michael Corner that good a kisser-”

“Harry! You know I meant you.”

He smiled sheepishly at her. “Yeah, just making sure.”

Ginny settled back into his arms and Harry felt like pinching himself. He couldn’t believe it; he’d fallen for the right girl this time.

There was a noise suddenly at the portrait and they pulled apart, not wanting to be caught by Ron or someone else, just yet. They relaxed when they saw that it was Neville.

“Harry! Ginny! You two missed a swell party. You’ll never believe who got caught kissing in the Prefect‘s bathroom. Snape busted them! They’ve got to serve almost a month of detention!”

Harry shook his head, feeling pity for whoever it had been. “Who was it? Dean and Hannah Abbot or Seamus and Lavender?”

Neville shook his head and he looked as though he was bursting with excitement.

“It was Ron and Hermione! They were ... snogging in the bathroom! And Ron had set it all up with candles and everything. And they were on the floor! Padma Patil said that Hermione was missing a few buttons on her dress, but I don’t believe that. They’re in McGonagall’s office right now, getting yelled at!”

Harry and Ginny stared at each other in wonder. Suddenly they were breaking out with laughter, wiping tears away from their eyes.

“Well, it looks like Ron gave Hermione a proper Valentine this year too,” Ginny said after she caught her breath.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, a whole month of detention! What girl wouldn’t be pleased with that?”

Ginny giggled and Harry was awed by how lovely she looked when she did that. She reached out and held his hand suddenly, squeezing it.

Harry felt the butterflies start to flutter one more time. Maybe he’d been wrong. Maybe the good butterflies were the ones that came back and made you feel as though you falling all over again.

***

Reviews 25
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear