Search:

SIYE Time:5:59 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Great Seer
By wandandquill

- Text Size +

Category: The Portraits Challenge (2015-2), The Portraits Challenge
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: None
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 12
Summary: Harry stumbles across an old portrait, that helps him find two things he desperately wants.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3079



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


The Great Seer

Harry had found a cleverly hidden room close to Gryffindor tower, although it lacked the formality of professor McGonagall’s office. The large desk with the comfy reclining leather chair indicated its intended use.

But it had a lived in informality. It in many ways resembled a parlour as he sat examining the room from the comfort of the reclining chair.

In fact it seemed not to have been used, for a couple of decades judging by the unkempt condition and the age of many of the artefacts looked centuries old. It had an originality that seemed to imbibe all that Hogwarts was about, honesty and learning.

Over the summer holidays it had been cleaned, because the thin layer of dust that covered everything previously had been removed, along with most of the cobwebs presumably by the house elves.

It felt like home and reminded him of the Burrow. His thoughts momentarily drifted and he smirked as he thought of Ron, who dreaded spiders that were trying to reclaim the room. No Ron would hate the room, but Ginny would love it.

-~-

It had been the end of the previous term, after the debacle at the Ministry of Magic. When his stupid impetuous saving people thing had got Sirius killed. His self-loathing had reached rock bottom.

He had wanted solitude and had taken out the Marauder’s Map, looking for a room or space to hide from the attention. Especially Hermione, who had taken it upon herself to save him from himself.

He had studied the map in more detail than ever before, but nothing jumped out at him from the labyrinthine complexity of Hogwarts.

In frustration he had uttered ‘for the love of Merlin there must be somewhere you lot found to hide in this castle.’ The map flared and a room that he had not recalled seeing before seemed to be highlighted in bold.

As he stared at it in astonishment, it was imperceptibly fading back into the normal outline of the castle. He could see it would be gone within an hour. Grabbing his invisibility cloak Harry stuffed the map intro his robe pocket and set off to find this room.

Predictably, Hermione tried to waylay him as he crossed the common room, but Harry brushed her aside ‘Got to see Dumbledore’

As soon as the portrait of the Fat Lady swung shut, he sprinted down the corridor rounding a corner and finding the lobby deserted donned his invisibility cloak. Even as he had rounded the corner he heard the portrait swing open again and Ron’s exasperated voice ‘Hermione’ and her hushed reply ‘He needs us Ron’.

Harry silently backed himself up against the wall beside an imposing statute of a Griffin and let them pass.

‘He’s gone to see Dumbledore, Hermione.’

‘That’s an excuse Ron and you know it.’

As the footsteps faded along with Ron’s grumbles, Harry pulled out the map. Sure enough the room was fading rapidly, but fortunately it was close by to the common room, in the adjoining corridor with a Griffin statue at the other end.

The map showed he was now alone and he set off, moving with haste and stealth. Coming to the spot where the stained glass window of Godric Gryffindor, standing in his armour with his hand on his sword illuminated the by the bright day outside.

It was almost door size window with a step up and a pointed arch. Clever very clever why would anybody thing this was a door, when it was an external stained glass window. Checking the map under his cloak he was standing outside the door to the fading room.

Right place, now how do I get in he asked himself. The phrase drifted into his mind effortlessly ‘I solemnly swear I am up to no good’

Nothing appeared to happen, he pressed against the glass and it remained unyielding. ‘well that would be to easy’ he muttered and looked at the map to see the room had faded completely. ‘Maybe that’s why’

‘For the love of Merlin there must be somewhere you lot found to hide in this castle.’ the room reappeared and he pushed against the glass, nothing. Humm, standing back he examined the window and the stone frame and surround and his eyes fell apron the inscription. ‘A true Gryffindor of noble heart will always be welcome’

He remembered Dumbledore’s words about summoning Gryffindor’s sword to fight the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets.

He also remembered the King Arthur legend of the Sword in the Stone or was it an Anvil, same difference he told himself.

Eyeing the ruby in the hilt of the sword it seemed to twinkle at him, smiling he reached out and gripped the hand grip. His hand met no resistance of the glass, gripping the handle, unsure as to what to do he gave a gentle push and the stained glass window pivoted inwards.

There was indeed a room and he quickly entered checking for a handle on the inside of the window, now a door. Before silently letting it glide shut and seal, as he examined the room. Solitude and relief washed over him as he made for the large leather chair behind the desk.

At the end of last term, he had mainly lounged in the squashy and comfy high back leather settee. A patina of age and comfort, never really giving the room much thought. Just shutting his eyes and moping morbidly in contemplation.

His eyes had examined the room, but his mind had never registered the image. The main comfort had come from the chair and the reds, yellows and gold’s of the stained glass window to the room. Calming, soothing, and peaceful, away from the torment of failing to protect Sirius.

Watching the spiders and the intricate web they were weaving above him brought it back to him. The web of life and its many pathways and thinking of Ginny’s warm outlook on life.

Now he was frustrated and agitated about two things Ginny Weasley and now Sirius would not be able to teach him to become and Animagus, something he had promised Harry at Christmas whilst at Grimmold place to give him hope for the summer. Something to look forward to

Ginny, who he had come to realise was a witty and beautiful girl, far more that Ron’s little sister. In fact she always had been, but he was too slow on the uptake to realise.

In desperation his frustration exploded, he jumped up picking up the ink pot in its stubby three legged metal stand and hurled it across the room. Watching as the ink bottle smashed against the stone wall and the metal stand clatter to the floor. Multi-coloured strands of ink ran down the magical walls around a multi-colour splatter zone

He collapsed back into the desk chair and banged his head back against the leather high back and sobbed.

-~-

Verbalis ing his frustrated thoughts

“Without Sirius I will never get to become an Animagus now. What have I done?”

“Sodding Dean … why didn’t I notice? … why didn’t I ask her out? … why didn’t I act on the train when she told Ron.”

“I thought it was a throw away comment to wind Ron up.”

As he racked his hands through his tangled hair. “Bloody messy hair she’ll never go for a boy who can’t keep his hair under control.”

-~-

An ethereal voice spoke calmly. ‘You did what you thought was right.’

Harry’s eyes sprung wide open and he jumped out of the chair drawing his wand looking wildly around for the ethereal voice.

Seeing no obvious person, he did a full 360 spin to check what he thought to be an empty room. Wearily he repeated the manoeuvre this time taking care to look up and down, looking for any sign of a concealment or notice me to charm and the possibility of a invisibility cloak.

He was sure it was a real voice and not something he had imagined, but he had the feeling he was being tested.

Finally he stood perplexed looking at the wall where the voice appeared to come from. There was a jumbled half height bookcase along the lower wall and on top a clutter of ornaments, busts and candle stands. With various framed parchments, a couple of portraits and an old mirror on top of a stack of books lent against the wall.

Harry was about to cast a revealing charm, when the soft voice spoke softly again.

‘Quick with the wand, shame you are slow with the heart, but that’s boys for you.’

‘And I wouldn’t be so sure … She worries about you’.

‘And she really likes your messy hair … an acquired taste I must admit.’

Harry’s eyes locked onto the part concealed portrait of a middle-aged woman with a kind face and wavy brown hair. She wore dangly earing with sun and moon silver symbols and a simple necklace with a single clear crystal globe hanging from it.

‘Hello Harry Potter, let me introduce myself. My name is Cassandra Trelawney. Great grandmother, of your current Divination teacher Sybill Trelawney.’

Harry had heard a lot about the Great Seer, and stepped forward and removed the clutter from around the portrait.

He lifted the Portrait clear and placed it on a stone ledge adjacent to the fire place.

‘Quite a fit young lad, I believe that is the right term today’

‘You have your mother’s eyes and your father’s hair’

Harry stared at the portrait in disbelief, as she smiled back at him.

‘You know your eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad … So what does that make hers’ she cheeked him.

‘I think she would love to rake her fingers through your hair as you kiss her intensely.’

Harrys eyes widened.

‘I know I would’

“You are an old flirt Cassandra.” Somehow talking to an old portrait did not seem so bad. Somehow she understood him.

‘it’s getting late Harry and I have a party invitation at another portrait. Come and see me after lunch tomorrow in your free period.’

Harry said goodbye and checked the corridor through the spy mirrors by the door showing the corridor. He arrived back in the common room almost walking on air, seeing Ginny, and catching her eye he beamed at her. Causing her to blush and smile back as she talked to her dorm mates.

-~-

The next day the morning flew by in Transfiguration, where he excelled. Earning rare complements, from Professor McGonagall. He dumped Ron after lunch and eagerly arrived in the secret room were Cassandra was waiting for him.

‘Hello Harry … now were to start’

‘Your father and his friends spent a lot of time in here, they used it as they’re snug this is where they studied.’

‘Well I say studied. It was the type of studying that may have raised a few eyebrows.’

Harry raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to put him out of his misery.

‘The marauders gang apart from rat-tail were an amicable bunch of reprobates, up to mischief, but they were loyal and clever, creating that map was no mean feat as was becoming an Animagus.’

He looked at her in astonishment.

‘Yes at first it was your father, Sirius and finally that rat Pettigrew.’

‘But it was not until they found the rare and ancient book Aardvarks Guide to become an Animagus that things started to happen.’

‘It was the illustrations along with the various practice charms and spells that your father, and soon after Sirius cracked the transfiguration. It took rat-tail a lot longer of course.’

“Sirius said there was a book that helped them a lot; it saved them a lot of time. Once they found it.” Harry added.

‘If you all had only opened their eyes, it was on the bookshelf all the time.’ “Where.” Harry looked around the bookshelves as if it would jump into his hands.

‘I’ll come to its location in a second.’ Seeing the pensive look on his face she added. ‘It’s safe and close to hand.’

Harry let out the breath he was holding. Cassandra was a story teller and had no reason to lie to him. So he kept his mouth closed. Besides he was learning things about his parents and their close friends.

‘Your father wanted to be an Animagus, to not only stay with Remus, but he wanted to protect others from the werewolf’s dangerous instincts.’

‘He was also what one would call an alpha male, so his Animagus form became a resplendent large stag. He could have had any woman, but he chose your mother at a young age and was loyal to only her.’

‘Where as Sirius was a bit of a rascal. A scallywag up to mischief, but a very talented young man and loyal. Would not seek to hurt anyone but would stand-up for what was right.’

‘What did he become a large black dog that was strong powerful but roguish to again help protect Remus and others from his werewolf persona’

‘Whereas rat-tail was a sneaky somewhat sleazy little insignificant boy always snooping around. Pried into other people’s business how did becoming a rat, ever help protect Remus.’

‘No, he hid behind the other threes shirttails and when the going got tuff, he ran.’

‘He hung around them and they took them under their wing and look how the repaid them.’

Harry asked hesitantly, “so what does that mean I would become,”

‘You have great potential with all your traits.’

“But you were a great Seer.”

She smiled back at him. ‘Yes and with that comes great responsibility, because people become dependent and needy. Hanging onto your every word. Unwilling to act without your prognosis ‘

‘You my dear boy a true Gryffindor could become anything from a snitch because of your love of flying to a Griffin. As to what you may become, you will have to wait and see.’ Giving him a knowing smile.

-~-

Harry looked sceptically at her suspiciously of her motives

‘Why are you helping me you ask yourself?’

“How did you …” Harry spluttered.

‘I am a Seer, some say a Great Seer, my great granddaughter masquerades as your divination teacher, and you know the reason for that. The prophecy, which marked you as his equal and gave you the power he knows not.’

“Yes Love.” Harry mumbled.

‘You have a great burden placed upon your shoulders and the last person you think of is yourself, you have suffered another great tragedy with the loss of your Godfather.’

‘It’s not my place to interfere and you have all the skills and can seek out those you don’t have.’

‘But now I fear for Hogwarts, the greatest place of learning. Dumbledore’s damaged hand was not an accident and it does not bode well for the future and there is evil afoot in this castle.’

“What!” he spluttered.

‘More of that another time.’

-~-

‘What a weight that prophecy placed on your shoulders whilst you were still in your mother’s womb’

‘So unfair then to be label the boy who lived as a baby’

‘To be given the power the dark lord knows not … the boy who lived’

‘And you need to harness that power and well, Ginny is the girl you love and she does love you. Of course you must not forget the ‘Potter Curse’ that you are destined to marry a redhead. Don’t worry your father was teased on that too.’

‘Yes, the Potter Curse.” She smirked, “And you are now hooked. … Destined for the girl with long fiery red hair”

Harry looked perplexed.

‘Being noble does not mean being lonely and unhappy. You can win, but you need help not just form your loyal friends who went to the Ministry with you. You need someone to one love and comfort that only Ginny can provide for you.’

‘You sealed that fate the moment you went into the Chamber of Secrets to rescue her.’

‘You need someone to be you confident and partner in life and you won’t find any better. She is exceptional in all respects having overcome her first year with the diary.’

“But Ginny told …” Harry did not finish he was confused.

‘Don’t mistake her comment to Hermione about giving up on you … she loves you.’

‘Your right about her winding her brother up about Dean, but then again you have not shown her any interest.’

‘All is not lost, if you act decisively. But you must not act possessively or be obviously like her over protective brother Ron. You can be envious but not jealous. Polite and subtle, be clear on your intent, but let her have the choice.’

‘She will respond well to you and your advances and can choose to let Dean down gently without humiliating him’

“How?” Harry asked at a loss.

‘Asking her if she has nothing better to do on the up and coming Hogsmead weekend to go with you’ is inferring she has nothing better to do than go with you, even without Dean will raise her hackles. And you know how fiery and dangerous she is when aroused, no let Dean do that be seen as the jealous one.’

‘Be discrete and catch her away from others and ask her like ‘I was wondering if you were free to come to Hogsmead with me this weekend’ you know she is not and it could sound that you are trying to break her and Dean up.’

‘Doing Ron’s dirty work.’

‘You can do better as you already know that there is a good chance she will be going with Dean because if nothing else he is her boyfriend.’

‘So try ‘I was wondering if you had any free time during Hogsmead to maybe help me choose some treats for Hedwig.’

‘She loves that owl.’

‘Maybe later by her a single chocolate and get Hedwig to deliver it, from you and Hedwig as a thank you.’

‘But not to the great hall during breakfast but when she is alone.’

“Great idea, but um what sort does she like?”

‘Boys … you spent time with her a Christmas, you did not notice.’

Harry looked despondent.

‘Rose and violet cream’s.’

-~-

‘With a little guidance you can do and achieve all your heart’s desire. With Ginny by your side keep her safe and hive her the edge to help you and protect herself. You have already gone a long way in doing that, now make her as your partner.’

‘And by teaching her to Apparate and to become an Animagus, you will give her an edge, which is all she needs to improve her odds of surviving.’

‘She is not an air head or a book worm, you have so much in common. Flying … Voldemort … Love.’

‘You will be far happier having her curled up on you lap, than seeing her with another.’

‘And you can confide in her about everything and she will support you and keep your secrets.’

‘Remember you have the power the dark lord knows not, yes love.’

‘Harness the power of love Harry, don’t let it distract you.’

‘Pining for Ginny is a massive distraction, having her curled up on you lap may be a distraction, but it is harnessing the power.’

‘A happy contented soul with a warm heart can achieve far more rapidly and rise above the daunting challenge you face.’

‘Learning the application of magic is far easier if you have a purpose for the spell, charm or potion in hand because you can see the benefit.’

‘It means that what you achieve is related to your natural talent or instinct.’

“How do you mean?” how do you mean he asked quickly.

‘You know you can still become and Animagus.’

-~-

Harry had taken Cassandra’s words to heart and explored his true feelings for Ginny and thought about her a lot. She was bright, fiery, beautiful and full of life. He needed someone who understood him and would stand up to him. Yes, she understood him far more than Hermione ever could and would not back down when it came to challenging him in her loyal way.

Ginny was the girl for him, now he had to win her over.

He avoided rushing in and contemplated his options. Instead he had taken opportunities, to smile at her and pay her simple complements that he had often thought but not vocalised.

Cassandra had not so much taught him, but opened his eyes to Ginny’s many good points and coached him to not to be a spluttering, tongue tied boy.

Like yesterday when her fiery red hair was hanging loosely over her shoulders. The sunlight reflected her spirit red gold’s and copper. She caught him looking at her as she read a book in the entrance courtyard.

He had walked up to her smiling and complemented her hair and the way he loved the way the sun’s rays reflected of it dancing in the light breeze. She blushed and the spent a few minutes in light chit chat before the bell rang.

-~-

Now less tongue tied he had his opportunity, there ahead walked Ginny carrying her overburdened shoulder bag, stuffed full of books.

“Hi Gin,” and giving her a warm smile as she turned to great him. “That’s a load of nasty OWL books you got there.”

“Yea,” she responded slight less that enthusiastically and then smiling back at him broadly. “People will think I’m becoming a tedious bookworm like Hermione.”

“That’s one thing you’re defiantly not is tedious. You’re a joy to be with … fiery and spirited.”

She brightened visibly at Harry’s complement, pleased by his recent brighter outlook on life. Since Sirius’s death as he had a tendency to be more grouchy than usual.

She could not help herself and blushed slightly at his complement. His recent change in demeanour around her, had rekindled her suppressed feeling for him

The day was ending better than she could have hoped, if only she was not burdened and visibly still sagging under the weight of her book bag

“That’s a nice smile, that’s the Ginny I like to see … here let me help you back to the portrait at least.” And before she realised and could protest his hand caressed the top of her arm and slipped under the shoulder strap of her bag. In a simple move he lofted it of her shoulder.

Not missing the opportunity to make fun by staggering at the weight of books. Smiling at her, playfully he whispered. “Heavy.” Giving her a cheeky lopsided grin.

“Prat.” She responded blushing slightly and smirking at him. This new Harry was becoming a joy to be around.

“You, looking forward to flying later at Quidditch practice? Blow those dreary History of Magic cobwebs out of hair and end a dreary day on a high.”

Ginny gave Harry a warm look at his banter as the arrived at the portrait of the Fat Lady, he bowed and waved her to enter, standing a respectful step back he let her enter, not helping her over the step through the portrait hole.

Once inside he swung her book bag onto a nearby side table, “See you later at Quidditch practice then,” and in a light tone added, “don’t be late, I hear the new Captain can be quite a tarter.”

-~-

Ginny had enjoyed Quidditch practice, she always did like flying, but tonight she felt good almost a warm fuzzy feeling inside her.

Dean had waited for her to change, outside the dressing rooms.

She felt disappointment, as Harry was nowhere to be seen. Ron was no doubt smothering him with Quidditch statistics, bloody Ron.

Dean took her hand and kissed her on the cheek, once inside the castle he slipped his arm around her waist and guided her onto a secluded staircase and kissed her again.

Somehow it did not feel right and she found herself lightly pressed up against the wall being snogged, not offering any resistance. It was a passive experience, it was pleasant but unfulfilling. The flame that had been kindled as spluttering to stay alight.

A sound of a distant disembodied voice seemed to distract Dean from his ministrations, without a second thought she broke the kiss. “Sorry, I need to pee.” And slipped nimbly out and around him, and off towards the common room.

Dean soon caught up with her as she walked with haste back to the portrait hole helping her through which raised her heckles

-~-

A few days later she found herself walking towards him, alone coming back from the great hall. His green eyes locked with hers and his smile radiated. She could tell he was pleased to see her. As she found herself return his warmth with a wry smile

“Hi Gin … I was wondering if you could spare me a little time on Saturday in Hogsmead, just half hour or so?”

Not mentioning Dean or any other plans she might have to meet up with her dorm mates, as Cassandra had coached him. Pausing long enough to let the words register.

“Only I would like you help to get something for Hedwig, if you could find some time that would be great.”

Ginny stopped walking and looked at Harry in astonishment as he descended the main staircase. He had asked her for help and to meet him in Hogsmead. Her brain quickly reengaged, “Of course Harry that would be fine.”

Mesmerised they stared into each other’s eyes momentarily.

“What sort of time?” “Oh um … before lunch say half eleven.”

She had no idea how she was going to give Dean the slip, maybe she could take him with her. But that might not be a good move and she quickly dismissed it from her mind.

“Thanks Gin, that will be great.”

-~-

Ginny arrived a few minutes late at the Hogsmead owl emporium where she found a smiling Harry.

It did not take too long to find a nut and grain owl treat for Hedwig.

“Thanks Gin, if you could find some time later or tomorrow morning we could give it to her together. If that’s Okay.” He asked politely.

“Ginny smiled I’ll see what I can do.” Smiling warmly back at him.

He took her hand a squeezed it gently. “Shall we walk back to Three Broom Sticks.”

Ginny nodded and they walked back slowly larking and joking. On entering Harry went to the bar and Ginny went to sit with Dean and Shamus

Ginny knew Dean was upset about Harry. But the spark that had ignited when Dean had asked her out along with the delight of being kissed by him, had quickly diminished.

Dean had seen her come into the Three Broom Sticks with Harry, she had been in a jolly mood. His sour face had said it all, but to his credit he had kept his cool and bit his tong and had been quiet.

She had tried to make it up to him later when she let him snog her in a rather passionate way. He had got excited and she allowed herself to be gently drawn against him as his arms circled around her waist.

Until she pulled away, no longer enjoying the kissing or the close contact.

“What’s got into you.” Dean asked acidly. “It’s like the other night, after a while you … you lose interest.”

Ginny looked away, she was not enjoying Dean any more. “It’s.”

“It’s Potter isn’t it; he’s been hanging around you a lot recently.”

“Look I spent time with Harry over the summer he, we lost a dear friend.”

“What Sirius Black, he was a.”

“A what Dean … a mass murderer.” She glared at him daring him to contradict her. “He was a caring, loving man. Good company and Harry’s godfather.”

“Harry again … great.“ Dean spat out dejectedly.

“Jealous?” Ginny bit back.

Dean looked up at her sad and dejected and gave a long sigh before looking away.. “This is pointless Ginny, you like Harry and there’s no denying it.”

“I … we … “ Ginny mumbled.

“I’ll see you back at the Castle.” And with a long face he turned and walked off.

-~-

Aardvark Guide to being an Animagus. Harry sat at the desk and thumbed through the old tomb of a book.

It used ancient terms and meanings that made progress slow and if it was not for Cassandra he would have been stumped. Hermione with her Runes knowledge might have scored better, but she would not have understood the ancient terminology.

Fortunately the book had many diagrams and notes on the words and comparisons in animated stages and the difference in being a meta-morph-magus. Being friends with Tonk’s was a real advantage seeing her transform. It constantly made reference to transfiguration, movement, shifting and drifting into ones form.

When he closed the cover Cassandra spoke in a tone not unlike professor McGonagall, commanding and in charge.

‘Now back to your room you have plenty to think about.’

As Harry stood he went to pick up the book.

‘No leave the book here. Hermione will call you out if she sees that book don’t want your secret exposed do you.’

-~-

Ron was getting grouchy with Harry for always, disappearing when they had free periods, and Hermione was irritated by his new found potions success. In truth the half blood prince’s book was very helpful, but it was more than that, he was developing an understanding of potions and an interest that Slughorn was keen to nurture. ‘He had his mother’s instincts, as Slughorn was keen to point out.’

His new found mentor in Cassandra was an inspiration.

He was also spending more interludes with Ginny and could pass the time of day with her. In fact he would make sure to see her, having memorised her timetable, mostly just passing in the corridor with a smile or a nod, a quick word in the common room and the occasional random study at the same table in the Library or breakfast in the Great Hall

Ginny seemed agreeably cheerful with the short times she was with Harry and if he was not mistaken her eyes were often seeking him out.

The fact Ginny was happy with his company and casual interludes, was not lost on Dean’s looks of irritation. Shame Harry thought.

Ron being lazy did not like Harry’s long detours around the castle and he did it on purpose, even if he knew he would not see Ginny. It had the advantage of allowing him to sneak off to see Cassandra

Hermione as also watching him suspiciously not sure what he was up to.

-~-

Harry had been practicing on becoming an Animagus and reading the Aardvarks book and a couple he borrowed from the library.

But he was struggling, the excises took a bit of effort, but on the whole seemed to work. No it was the actual transformation not knowing what was going to happen. Like apparition into the hoops the three D’s destination, determination, deliberation.

‘Maybe you need to go for the whole change.’ Cassandra had prompted

‘Why don’t you try the small disused classroom the one with the mirrors down one wall, that way you will be able to see what you have turned into.’

Now Harry sat in a deserted classroom that was little used for classes any way. It was often used for other nefarious had nocturnal activities. He had been attempting to complete the Animagus transformation, the main reason for using this room and the reason it was not used for classes was it had a full length mirror on the corridor wall.

And like other magical mirrors at Hogwarts it was spooky. Often charmed to talk back to you but also to alter ones appearance and enhance ones ego. He eyed the mirror with suspicion as he sat down on the floor between disorderly rows of desks.

He had been using the notes Sirius had given him and the old tomb of a book on the ancient and noble art of Animagus transformation a guide to transfiguration. He had felt the partial change, something on his back. In his alarm, he could not see at what was happening as he tried to change.

The notes had said that some for changes had to be a full change as the break in concentration by opening one’s eyes would break the spell.

It was not practical to change a limb into fin like on a fish or a hind leg of a horse. It had to be the complete change. The partial change would happen in one’s mind,

Sirius’s notes made mention of was not un-similar to Apparition. Side along apparition was merely guiding the other person. A natural Animagus could guide. Great he thought, even Polyjuice potion got a mention

So hear he was in the darkened room only lit by moonlight that with the mirror did not help his mood. He had the feeling that whatever he was it was a large animal, Sirius had said the transformation re-elected ones nature, desire and temperament.

Your core spirit had a big influence in a way a bit like the mirror of Erised your heart’s desire this was your spirits desire. It made some sense, with the exception of a meta-morph-magus few had much control over their final form

He concentrated on the partial change and he felt the change first to an arm then to a leg as he sat on the floor as he had been advised by the book and instructed by Sirius. But opening his eyes it snapped back.

After a few minutes of pondering he got up and made his way over to the large window and looked out the window on this still night, his mind wandered to going for an after curfew flight on his Firebolt. That would relieve the tension and frustration her felt.

He let his mind relax and let the tension ebb away, one more go, he stretched and walked over to stand in front of the mirror, maybe sitting cross-legged was not the correct posture, After a sigh he shut his eyes and let the Animagus transformation flow through his body.

Limbs stretched and he could feel the strange sensation on his back that had spooked him before. This time he let it flow and did not hold back as he felt the surge of adrenalin course through his body.

Several things happened as he felt himself pitch forward onto all fours several desks crashed backwards behind him chairs fell over and several piles of old books crashed to the floor and to the side being forcibly moved by his transformed shape and a crash as something shattered on impact with the stone floor

Harry breathed deeply as his heart pounded in and out through nostrils. His eyes still tightly closed, he could feel the bulk as being a large animal of with his hind quarters pressing against a desk.

A stag maybe ran through his mind just like his father, elation ran through mind, but then he felt something move in his excitement and a draught flowed across he back. What was that was there something in the room with him, and he felt a strange presence on his back. Crap no not Peeves

In alarm he opened his eyes and stared at the mirror in front of him and saw nothing other than an empty room of misarranged furniture and piles of dislodge books on the floor and a broken giant lantern.

He looked around the mirrors in alarm still seeing nothing,

He move and excursing his limbs and the draught down his back flowed again with more force and he caught the shadow of a large blurred movement behind him. Dust rose of surfaces and cobwebs al sheets of parchment fluttered and moved in the breeze. In panic he half turned round facing the door sending chairs flying and decks scraping across the floor. Stop he commanded himself stood stock still. Very smooth Potter like a Hippogrith in a china shop

He looked to the side at the mirror seeing nothing not even any eyeballs

Then he heard the familiar clip clip of footsteps, Snapes unmistakable gate as he stormed down the corridor towards the room, the door banged open crashing against the wall and froze in the doorway wand illuminated.

“What are your doing in here.” Snape’s voice commanded.

Harry froze stock still not daring to move

“I suppose this is some student’s idea of a joke. Or is Hagrid behind this. Some poor injured animal?

Puzzled Harry just stood and stared at Snape. Snape could see him but obviously did not know it was him. Relief washed over him as Snape careful walked into the room taking a wide arc up to the teachers raised dais and desk. Whatever he was Snape was weary of him, that please Harry no end

Then Mrs Norris lamp like eyes appeared and took one look and scurried out follow by Argus Filtch. Arrrr he screamed crashing back against the opened door and side stepped backwards out of the door and shuffled out of sight

Snape waved his wand arm sending his cloak billowing.

“Out.” he commanded and pointed his illuminated wand at the open door. Harry obediently followed his command and walked out into the corridor do see Filtch pinned up against to opposite wall with Mrs Norris in his arms hissing at him

Harry smirked to himself whatever he was it scared the shit out of Filtch and his dreaded cat

Snape strode out banging the door shut behind him. This way and pointed his eliminated wand down the corridor in the general direction of the main entrance.

Snape strode ahead with his cloak billowing and he waved his illuminated wand in the direction he wanted Harry to go. Like he was marshalling an aircraft to taxi a stand his metal edge shoes masking some of Harrys soft clip clop from his hooves. Going down the stairs presented more of a challenge on all fours as an animal, for which Snape took little account of other than to wait impatiently at the bottom of each flight

Soon they were at bottom of the grand staircase in entrance hall outside the Great Hall. Then Harry caught sight of himself in the mirror in the lobby by the great oak doors to the castle entrance and stopped

Snape took no notice as he stood to the side and waved his wand. The great oak doors groaned and the bolts were withdrawn and one of the leaves creaked fully open

Why could he not see himself in the mirrored class room? He watched himself and he unfolded his wings and flexed them, now understanding what the draft was down his back and movement of parchment and cobwebs.

These were big powerful wings as he gave a more forceful movement in exercising them and felt himself go almost weightless

“Oh really a vain Thestral. Get out.” Snape sent a mild sting hex at Harrys backside

Harry trotted outside smarting from Snape’s hex, resisting the temptation to rear up and attack him. As soon as he was clear of the door it slammed shut, leaving him in the moonlight.

Harry flexed his wings fully and could feel the immense power and without further thought trotted forward and launched himself into the air

Having flow on a Hippogrith and a Thestral he had some appreciation of the power and grace of these large animals had in the air. However he was completely unprepared for flying as one.

It was almost effortless, and completely different than being on a broom. It was freedom, whilst the broom had speed and agility in tight manoeuvres, this had grace and elegance

-~-

The next morning Harry was tired all that exercise and now aching muscles.

He dragged himself out of bed when his alarm went off. He knew he could have snuggled back under the covers and waited for Ron to wake him at the last moment. To throw his cloths, dash to the great hall, on grab some toast and head to first lesson. Scruffy and unwashed.

Instead he jumped out of bed and headed for the shower. He felt elated after last night’s success in his Animagus transformation. Euphoria was not an adequate word to describe his feeling. It overrode his tiredness and he did not want to miss his morning smile with Ginny. It was a Felix Felicis moment, he decided.

He looked tired but was full of bounce

“You’re very chipper this morning. Been at the pepper up potion have we, Potter.” She teased.

“Oh much better than that.” then Dean walked in. “Tell you later.” And moved off down the table as Dean eyeballed him

-~-

A couple of days later, Harry came across Malfoy with his two cronies intimidating Ginny in a deserted Corridor.

“Are I think a little gypsy jig as you’re dressed in a tatty blouse and a short skirt, about all a blood traitor is fit for.” Malfoy drooled.

Goyle with a look of anticipation added. “Make her put her hands over her head. That short skirt won’t cover her knickers then.”

“Oh please, you thing she can afford knickers.” Crabbe guffawed excited.

Harry was about to draw his wand, wishing he had his invisibility cloak with him. When a sudden spark of inspiration, crossed his mind. Time to try out his Animagus form, a perfect subject to embarrass.

Smirking he slipped back round the corner to a clear space and concentrated on his new found form. Returning to the same stretch of corridor as Malfoy went to cast the spell on Ginny. With intent he clip clopped his hooves purposefully, quickly getting Malfoys attention and he stopped.

“Who’s there … ?” Malfoy questioned the empty space.

“I can’t see anyone … nothing.” Goyle answered morosely.

Ginny slowly stepped to the side to look round and Harry took his cue Setting off, he cantered down the corridor. As Ginny pulled her shoulder bag into her hand and tried to go for her wand.

“No you don’t Weasley.” As Goyle grabbed her hand.

Harry spread his wings and charged. Ginny spun round and kneed Goyle in the groin, sending him the other two and ran for it in the opposite direction.

Several suites of armour crashed to the ground as Harry spread his wings fully, before crashing into the three terrified bullies. He knocked them flying as he ploughed into them with sending them flying in the process.

He turned his head and flapped his powerful wings sending a wall tapestry, flying off its hangers onto the heap of bodies and limbs on the floor. For good measure as he moved away he forcefully flapped his wings, sending another suite of armour flying, landing on top of the tapestry and pinning the three to floor.

Ginny was long gone and he could hear McGonagall coming from her nearby office. He turned and leaped effortlessly with one flap of his wings over the tangled mess on the floor in the high arched corridor. Glide down the corridor landing in a slow canter and looking around seeing the three still tangled ducked around the corner.

Changing back to his normal form, he sprinted quietly away and down a set of back stairs and walked slowly back to the common room. On seeing one of Ginny’s friends asked if she had returned, yes she questioned in response. He nodded and walked off.

-~-

Next day at breakfast he slipped in alongside a surprised Ginny as and as McGonagall walked in the main doors and stopped on front of Malfoy your detention will be served on Saturday morning with me and Saturday and Sunday nights with Filtch, cleaning the armour.

Harry whispered, “trouble in paradise. I hear it was a phantom.”

Dean walked past glancing at Ginny momentarily, giving her a half-hearted ‘Hi Ginny’ and continued on ignoring Harry.

She gave him a scathing look and went back to her breakfast

This time Harry did not move down the table, but stayed eating his breakfast. Smirking at the Slytherin’s discomfort and Dean’s dirty looks back up the table at him and Ginny.

Ginny was taking the long way back to the common room, she only had the short distance to the Griffin statue and she would be insight of the fat lady. When, Malfoy stepped out from behind it ahead of her, closely followed by his two bodyguards.

“Weasley.” His voice full of glee. “No escape this time.” and nodded behind her. Wearily she looked round to see Nott, Pansy and Blaise coming up behind her. She was surrounded, not seeing an option for escape.

“I think you can give us a little dance to start with.” Malfoy smirked at her.

“Then maybe a little seductive dance.” Goyle added.

“I fancy a little striptease.” Crabbe crooned.

She had her wand in her hand in an instant and back against the wall, narrowly escaping a jelly legs jinx from Pansy.

They were out to get her after the phantom attack and the detention they got the day before and she stupidly walked right into their trap.

There was a sudden illumination in the corridor followed by a wiz-bang flash. Harry appeared from nowhere and grabbed her free hand. The wiz-bang had disoriented them including Ginny.

She found herself crashing past Pansy sending her floundering to the floor. she could hear the thundering footsteps as the others gave chase, but followed Harrys lead as he steered along corridors and up staircases. They had put a little distance between them when they stopped to catch some much needed breath.

Soon, the six were insight and would be upon them, take cover he commanded pulling her into the archway to the Astronomy tower. He barely pulled Ginny into the door way as several jinx’s and curses blasted into the wall.

Harry sent a stunner at large suite of armour at near point blank range and slammed the door shut as the armour exploded in a cacophony of sound crashing and clattering across the floor. “Very smooth Potter but how are we going to get out of here?”

Even if you have your cloak there’s no way out, and that explosive stunner will get every Filtch and teacher coming here. “Yeah.” Harry smirked, “that’s what I am counting on, this way Gin.” Squeezing her hand, sending her up the spiral staircase in front of him, as he lock the door behind him.

They reached the top as they heard the door at the bottom creak carefully open, and a quick alloharmora opened the door. And they ran out onto the roof as Harry turned and relocked the door.

“Well.” She stood panting, observing the empty roof.

“Nice quiet way not to attract attention Harry, half the school will have heard that.”

“Not a problem.” And he winked at her roguishly.

“Your broom up here, under your cloak by any chance?” Raising her eyebrows, challenging him.

“No something much better, do you trust me Gin.”

“Of course Harry stupid question, but how are we, going to get out of this there’s only one way down.” She gestured at the door.

“Not Necessary.” Giving her a small smile.

“Or are you going to summon your Firebolt?” She challenged.

“Because I don’t think we have much time and I haven’t grown wings yet.”

“But I have.” He replied beaming at her.

Ginny gave him a look. “You are beginning to sound like Fred and George.”

“Sorry now is not the time, this is going to be a bit spooky … you see I have become an Animagus.”

“So what are you?”

“A Thestral.”

A look of surprise lit up Ginny’s face as she looked at Harry comprehending what he had disclosed. Changing to recognition, as a small smile crossed her face.

“I’m going to take my form but I don’t expect you will be able to see me, I’ll nudge you and kneel down for you to climb onto my back.”

Harry stood back and Ginny watched as his form changed and disappeared. Then she felt a nudge and nervously slipped onto the invisible creature. Leaning forward sliding her arms around his neck and gripping him with her legs.

With a sudden rush of air behind her as the wings unfolded she felt herself being launched into the air and up and over the parapet of the tower as the door burst open. They dived down into the murky evening sky.

Harry felt Ginny relax after the initial shock of the take-off and dive and snuggle closer. “I like this,” she whispered. So did he, more that he wanted to admit, it was a nice warm snug feeling.

He swooped around and towards the Gryffindor tower, seeing the Girls side of the tower and flew towards it. Ginny understood his intention to get her back unseen as quickly as he could, so she could not be blamed. She pointed to her floor and an open window and Harry glided over to it, allowing Ginny to scramble in without too much problem.

Harry sored off around to the Balcony outside the library and landed as quietly as he could manage, transforming back to himself back and slipped into the library unnoticed.

-~-

McGonagall and Snape appeared in the opening to the Gryffindor common room moments after Ginny had walked down the stairs from the girl’s dorm were she was standing talking to Hermione

Snape spluttered surprise to see her. “Draco and the others said it was her, I don’t know how she.”

“Your wand Weasley.” Snape commanded.

Professor McGonagall held out her hand. “If you wouldn’t mind Miss Weasley.”

The wand recounted the last three spell last used that afternoon in McGonagall’s class.

“As I thought.” and handed her wand back.

“Well it was Potter then. Where is he?” He barked looking around the room, searching.

Harry wandered round the library and spoke to a few prefects and took a book up to Madam Prince.

Suspecting he would be somehow be accused, he spent his time walking back casting numerous transfiguration spells on the book.

Malfoy and his gang were waiting around outside the portrait of the fat lady.

“What are you doing here? Stunk out your dungeon again.”

“Your little blood traitor Wheslette is about to be expelled.” He drooled, smirking.

Before Harry could reply the portrait of the fat lady swung open.

Snape appeared first. “Wand Potter.”

McGonagall held out her hand and Harry smiled happily at Snape as he handed over his wand.

He could see Ginny’s horrified face, through the open portrait hole and winked at her, to reassure her.

After a couple of spells were regurgitated she handed the wand back to Harry.

“That will be all Mr Potter.”

Snape was furious, but powerless to interfere.

Harry nodded to her, and added as he walked past, “Good night professor.”

Ron burst out as soon as the Portrait sealed shut. “What’s that all about? Why’s Snape after you and Ginny?”

“Trouble in paradise Ron. That’s all.”

-~-

Later Harry caught up with Ginny as she finished her Potions lesson with Slughorn

Can you spare me a few minutes later — Astronomy tower she cheeked him — if you like

and Harry took that as a cue to fly off over the grounds into the forbidden forest gliding effortlessly over the tree tops

I was going to ask you if you want a ride on my Firebolt, but that was always a lousy pick up line

‘Ginny would you like to come to Hogsmead with me’ the words fell out of his mouth his courage spirited on by Cassandra’s words of encouragement — to tell her — don’t say sorry

Be honest - I know — he could not say the words boyfriend — ‘Dean’

I should have acted sooner on my feelings for you — you see I have come to realise how blind and stupid I have been

that not only are you a very beautify girl — your eyes — whit and spirit I like — and your very loyal

we become closer being at ease in each other’s company, its something I have grown to love and cherish — like he kicked himself

I don’t want to ruin that — I — I - well you see

Ginny put him out of his misery and close the gap and kissed him lightly on the lips — I would like that

-~-

Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear