Search:

SIYE Time:15:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


This Moment
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor, Poetry, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 4
Summary: Ginny reminds Harry what life after the war is all about.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5250



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
Just a simple one shot, takes place a week or so after the Final Battle.




ChapterPrinter


Harry sighed in frustration as he, Ron and Hermione left the Ministry of Magic, yet again. It had been a week since the Final Battle, and apart from the day after, when the three of them had slept the day away, they had been 'asked' to come to the Ministry to 'please explain' what they had been doing the last few months.

The Weasley family had waited for them to wake up before leaving Hogwarts and returning to the Burrow. Molly and George had immediately gone to their rooms, leaving Ginny and Arthur to straighten the house, and prepare the meals. The trio met in Ron's room, deciding how much they would tell the Ministry.

The next day they had gone in, only to find themselves being questioned separately. Harry had hoped to talk to Kingsley, yet he found himself talking to a different Auror every time. They would go over and over the same thing, sometimes questioning the three together, but mostly one on one.
By the fifth day Harry had had enough, and told them they were leaving. He went and found Ron and Hermione, and together they made their way to level eight, the Atrium, so they could leave and head back to the Burrow.

“Really Harry, did you have to drag us out,” said Hermione.

“Actually, I thought I was doing you a favour, but if you want to go back, feel free,” snapped Harry.

“Not bloody likely,” said Ron, glad to be out of there.

“It's okay for you, but I need to ask for their help in locating my parents in Australia. I'll need to organise a Portkey, and I want to go as soon as possible. I can't afford to antagonise anybody,” argued Hermione.

“Look Hermione, if it comes down to it, I'll ask to speak to Kingsley, and get it set up. There has to be some perks to being me,” said Harry.

“What's got you upset?” asked Ron.

“I'm just fed up with it all, the politics, the endless questions. All I want to do is spend time with my friends, and your family. I think we've earned that, don't you?” asked Harry.

“Spend time with your friends? Friends like Ginny?” smirked Ron.

Harry shrugged.

“Ron, don't be insensitive. Harry, have you had a chance to talk to Ginny, tell her anything?” asked Hermione hesitantly.

Harry shook his head, not wanting to talk about it. Truthfully, he didn't know what to say to Ginny, and she wasn't exactly seeking him out. She was spending a lot of time with George, as Arthur was with Molly, and the past few nights she hadn't been around when they returned home. He would sit in Ron's room, staring out the window, giving Ron and Hermione time alone, wishing he could talk to Ginny, look at Ginny, hold Ginny, kiss-

“Harry, Harry, are you listening? Did Gawain talk to you about the Auror program starting in September?” asked Hermione.

“Yeah, and I'm seriously thinking about it. I-I really don't think I can go back to Hogwarts,” said Harry.

Hermione sighed. “I know, I didn't think you would. I think I'm going to go, but I need to find my parents first.”

The trio apparated to the Burrow, and started to walk back to the house, when Ron took Hermione's hand, and beckoned her for a walk near the Lake. Hermione smiled, but looked questionably at Harry.

He sighed. “Go on, I'll be fine.”

They walked in the other direction, and Harry continued walking towards the house. He was determined he was going to talk to Ginny tonight, no matter what.

He didn't have to go search for her, as she was coming out of the shed with two brooms in her hand. She turned and saw him coming towards her. Without a word, she handed him a broom, and raised an eyebrow.

Harry nodded, and took one of the brooms. Together they walked to the Weasley's Quiddich pitch, and Ginny gracefully took off. He watched her fly; it had been so long since he had done so. She flew carefree, round and round. He smiled. He could never get tired of watching Ginny.

She flew down near him, and beckoned. He mounted his broom, and took off. Like Ginny, he flew carefree, surprised at how soothing he found it. He dipped and turned, doing loops, flying straight up in the air, then plummeting to the ground. He let out a whoop, causing Ginny to smile.

They found themselves hovering at either end of the pitch. Their eyes met; Ginny's sparkled mischievously. He watched as she put her hand in her pocket and pulled out a Snitch. She let it go, and it took off. She held up her hand, fingers outstretched. Without a word, she counted down. 5...4...3...2...1. They shot off in pursuit.

It wasn't a particularly fast snitch, and Harry caught it in two minutes. Laughing, Ginny flew for a bit longer, then headed down. She dismounted, and waved goodbye, heading back to the shed, her broom over her shoulder.

Harry flew for another ten minutes, truly enjoying the freedom. Nobody could touch him up here.
When he finally made his way inside, he joined the rest of the family for tea.

Later that night, as he made his way to Ron's bedroom, he passed Ginny on her way to bed. He stopped her.

“Ginny, I just wanted to say thanks, for today, I mean.”

“You're welcome. Good night Harry,” she said.

While he had hoped for more, he felt it was a start. He slept well that night, yet headed to the Ministry with a heavy heart.

More questions, more going over the same things, more career offers. The only thing Harry felt he gained that day was the ability to speak to Kingsley, and ask them about helping Hermione.

He flooed home, tired and tense. Thinking about Hermione and her parents had made him think of the Dursley's, and where they were. He felt he needed to make sure they were okay, and return them to their home. It wasn't something he was looking forward to doing.

He flooed into the Burrow, stumbling as usual as he came into the kitchen. He heard someone snicker, and he scowled. He wasn't in the mood to be laughed at. He looked up at saw Arthur and Ginny exchange a glance.

“Hi,” he said curtly.

He went to the fridge and got a drink of pumpkin juice.

“Think I'll go take a shower. See you soon,” he said.

He felt slightly calmer after the shower, and he headed downstairs. There was no food cooking, and he wondered if he should suggest he help Ginny prepare it. It would be a good way to spend time together. He saw her standing in the kitchen, looking aimlessly out the window. She turned when she heard him coming.

“Dad, we're going,” she called.

“We're going somewhere?” he asked.

She took his hand and nodded. They stepped into the floo and whizzed away.

Harry stepped out behind Ginny and took a look around. He hadn't been there before, but he saw Ginny approach an older lady. She appeared to hand something to Ginny and left the room. Harry walked closer, as Ginny turned.

“Is that-?”

“Theodore Remus Lupin, a big name for a little baby, but he'll grow into it,” smiled Ginny, looking down at him.

She had such a beautiful expression on her face, Harry couldn't look away. She looked up at him, and their eyes held.

“Would you like to hold your godson?” she asked softly.

“Oh, I ,er, gee I don't know if I should, hey!” he cried, as Ginny plopped the baby into his arms. He took a step back, and Ginny guided him to a chair.

“He's so small,” marvelled Harry, looking at Teddy. Teddy looked back at him.

He picked up one of his hands. “Look at his little fingers, Gin. He's amazing. I've never been around a baby before, it's, it's-”

Harry couldn't speak. The thought that Remus and Tonks should be here with their son overwhelmed him. This little boy would never know them, or they, him. It wasn't fair. Tears came to his eyes.

“Hey,” said Ginny softly, lifting his chin with her finger and wiping away his tear. “Don't do that Harry. Not now.”

“I'm sorry, it's just, they should be here, not me. Their son needs them,” said Harry, another tear falling. Baby Teddy wriggled, yet continued to watch Harry.

Ginny still had his face turned up to hers. “Sadly, he will never know his parents. He's so little Harry, he won't remember then. He deserves to see happy faces looking down at him, faces full of love for him, of hope. There will be time later, to tell him how special his parents were, what they fought for, how much we loved them, and they loved him. But for now, let him see you. Enjoy your godson, Harry.”

She kissed his forehead, wiped away another tear, and walked off to talk to Andromeda. Harry looked at Teddy, who watched Harry. It was uncomfortable for Harry, like Teddy was waiting for him to say something, or do something. Teddy solved the problem for both of them. Harry felt movement at Teddy's rear end, and the pungent smell hit his nose within a minute.

“Ugh, that's disgusting! Gin, Mrs Tonks, need a bit of help here!” cried Harry, desperately.

They both came in, and quickly worked out what had happened. Harry watched as Ginny changed his nappy, cringing at the mess. Ginny didn't seem to mind, as she teased Teddy for making such a mess. For the first time, Harry saw Teddy smile, and it stopped his heart. He remembered Ginny's words, and realised she was right. He promised Mrs Tonks he would be there for Teddy, would help her out with him. Andromeda told him they'd talk another time, and see what they could work out.

Ginny and Harry flooed home. It was late, they had missed tea, but Fleur had left a plate for each of them, with a warming charm on it. They tucked into it, then headed upstairs. Harry looked at her as she was about to go into her bedroom. He saw her hesitate and glance back at him.

He went over and hugged her. “Thanks, Gin. You helped me make a connection to my godson. Seeing him smile, well, it made forget all my problems,” he said.

Ginny smiled. “It's the simple things that matter, Harry. Don't forget that,” she said, hugging him back.

She went in and closed the door, their eyes connecting before the door shut.

He went to bed, and gazed up at the ceiling. A feeling of hope, that things were changing for the better, made him sleep well again.

The trio went into the ministry the next day, for the first time not to answer any more questions. Ron accompanied Hermione to the Department of Magical Transportation to discuss travel dates. They informed Hermione they had a representative in Australia who was doing a preliminary search, and would meet her and Ron when they arrived, to assist them in any way. Kingsley had personally requested all possible help.

Harry had requested a meeting with Kingsley to discuss several things. He asked about the Dursleys, and the Auror trainee program starting in September. He requested a private burial for Professor Snape and offered to pay for it himself. He asked for Sirius's name to be cleared, and together, he and Kingsley discussed possible monuments to commemorate the battle. It wasn't the sort of thing Harry was interested in, but then again, he didn't want the Ministry to go over the top.

The trio apparated again to the Burrow in high spirits. The sun was shining, and it was just after lunch. The rest of the day stretched invitingly ahead of them.

“Is that Ginny? Who's she with?” asked Ron, squinting.

“Is that Neville?” said Hermione. Harry's heart sank.

“Looks like Luna's here too,” said Ron. Harry's heart beat faster.

The trio headed for them. They seemed to be standing in a circle, holding hands. When Neville saw them coming, he blushed. Luna smiled serenely.

“Oh good, you're here,” she said.

“What are you doing?” asked Hermione.

“Living,” said Luna, taking Harry's hand. Hermione took Ron's, who took Ginny's, who took Neville's. Luna clasped Neville's hand in her other, and Harry grabbed Hermione's, wishing it were Ginny's.

“Now, close your eyes,” said Luna softly. They all did, and waited.

“Now what, Luna?” asked Hermione, getting impatient. Ron shuffled his feet.

“Nothing. We just appreciate this moment, that we are all here, together. Breathe in and out.”

Harry was touched at the simplicity of what Luna was saying. She was right. After all they had been through, and he didn't fully know what the year had been like for Ginny and the others, although he had heard things, they really did deserve to appreciate this moment. And the next, and the next.

He opened his eyes and looked at Ginny. The sun was behind her, framing her face, and making her hair glow. Her eyes were closed, and she had a serene look on her face.

Without warning, she opened her eyes and looked straight at him. Their glances locked, then she winked at him, before she closed her eyes again.

Harry closed his eyes too, smiling. In this moment, he felt at peace.

Finally they all opened their eyes. Ginny called out “group hug,” and they all came together.

Neville and Luna left soon after, and Hermione and Ron went to the house.

Harry held out his hand, and Ginny put her hand in his. They walked down to the lake, where Ginny paddled her feet. Harry watched her.

“How do you know?”

Ginny just looked at him.

“How do you do it? How can you say or do just the right thing to make me feel better?” he asked.

Ginny shrugged. “Anybody who knows you knows what's important to you. Family, friends. Those people at the Ministry, they don't know you, so they're hassling you, hounding you. I just wanted you to remember what's important.”

Harry came closer to her. “What's that?”

“This moment,” said Ginny.

Harry came closer still. “You're right. Do you know what would make this moment even more special?” asked Harry softly.

“What?” asked Ginny, smiling.

“This,” said Harry, putting his arms around her, and lightly kissing her. He brushed her lips once twice, and waited. She copied him, once, twice. Their lips met again, fuller, firmer. They pulled apart slightly, but were soon back, kissing. There were no hesitations, it was a perfect moment.

They spent the rest of the summer together. Ron and Hermione had gone to Australia to restore Hermione's parent's memories, and had been gone for a month. Harry and Ginny spent time flying, spending time with Teddy, and restoring Grimmauld Place. Harry had promised Ginny to stay at the Burrow until Hermione and her left for Hogwarts. Molly seemed happier with all her family around, and even George was getting back to Weasley Wizarding Wheezes.

It was the night before the girls left for Hogwarts. The foursome had gone out for a nice lunch together, and spent the afternoon wandering in Muggle London. Dinner had been a full on family get together at the Burrow, and now the foursome had split into two couples. Ron and Hermione had wandered to the Lake, and Harry and Ginny had gone for a fly. They were now heading back when Harry stopped her.

“I'm going to miss you so much,” he said, pulling her into his arms.

“Yeah, who are you going to get to change Teddy's dirty nappies?” she quipped.

“Gin, I'm serious. You know you're taking my heart with you, don't you?” he asked.

“Harry,” said Ginny, genuinely touched.

“Gin, I couldn't have gotten through all this without you. Thank you,” he said.

Ginny kissed him softly.

“You will let me know when the first Hogsmeade visit is, won't you? You'll send me the dates of all your Quidditch games? I promise I'll do my best to get there, and I'll try to meet the train when you come home for Christmas,” said Harry.

“Harry, it's fine. I'll understand if you can't,” smiled Ginny.

“I don't think you understand. I want to take you to Hogsmeade, I want to see you lead the Gryffindor team to victory, I need to be there when you come home. I don't want to miss a moment with you, Ginny,” said Harry, taking her in his arms.

“We'll have lots of moments, Harry. If we miss one, we'll have another one. I promise,” said Ginny, happy to be in his arms.

“I love you, Ginny. I can't let you leave without telling you that,” whispered Harry, kissing her forehead.

Ginny sniffed, tears falling. “I can't believe you're telling me this on my last night home, our last night together for a long while.”

Harry wiped the tears away with his thumb, and kissed her again. “I promise to tell you every day in the weeks, months, hell, years ahead of us. You and me, together, Gin. That's my promise to you.”

“You've just given me the perfect moment, Harry. When I'm at Hogwarts and missing you, or having a bad day, I'm going to remember this moment. I love you too Harry, so much,” said Ginny.

“We've got so many wonderful moments to come,” said Harry, smiling. He and Ginny walked back to the Burrow, arms around each other.

While the separation the next year would be hard, there were visits and letters and holidays home to look forward to. And when the school year was done, Harry and Ginny would get to start on those moments.

Together. Finally.





Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear