Search:

SIYE Time:20:08 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


One Way to Charm a Witch
By seekers_destiny

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 10
Summary: Harry was having enough problems without the fortune cookies turning on him.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5194
Awards: View Trophy Room


Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This little plot bunny came into existence in emails exchanged between Mistress Lrigtar and myself about her story The Unknown Spectre (read it if you haven’t already). She was my beta for this story as well so a lot of the credit should go to her.




ChapterPrinter


Ron entered the apartment laughing and allowed the bag he was carrying to swing nearly out of control. Harry almost reached to take it from him when it gently caromed off of the doorjamb as his friend passed through the doorway. Instead, he followed his friend who proceeded to the dining table and successfully deposited his burden upon it. Harry exchanged looks with Hermione who came up beside Ron and placed her bag next to Ron’s but much more carefully than her boyfriend had.

Harry suppressed rolling his eyes when his friend began to speak forcefully again about the movie they had just seen. “I loved it when they rode off on the camel that had been loaded with gold! Brilliant! The whole thing was so realistic! I don’t know how the Muggles knew all that stuff!”

Ginny didn’t suppress her eye roll as she responded. “As I tried to explain to you before, Ron, they had Hamunaptra all wrong and you saw Imhotep’s mummy for yourself. It’s no different than any other mummy. Honestly, Ron…” She huffed in irritation and then winked at Harry when he stared at her wondering why she was being so forceful about it.

She was winding up her brother again and Harry resolved to stay out of it. She never pushed him too far so it was mostly harmless fun. He just hoped this evening was no different. Hermione began to efficiently remove their Chinese takeout from the bags and spoke to Ron as she worked. “Why don’t you go get what we need to eat while I set the food out?”

Ron appeared to be about to object when he suddenly shrugged and complied. When Ron was out of the room Hermione gave Ginny a pointed look that only elicited a smirk and a shrug in response. Hermione smiled ruefully, shook her head and continued arranging the boxes of food occasionally pausing to determine what was in a box.

Ron returned with four forks and nothing else, which earned him an irritated look from his girlfriend. “Didn’t you forget something?”

She sighed as he looked puzzled. “Plates?”

“But we could just eat from the boxes....”

“We are sharing the dishes, Ron. We need plates.”

Ron did not put up much of a struggle against her logic. He put down the forks and turned to leave the room again when Hermione huffed and quickly drew her wand. A quick Accio had something flying from Ron’s back pocket to her hand, and Ron gave a squawk of surprise at her action. She held up two sets of chopsticks and stared at Ron while he became rather sheepish. “I thought I might give it a try again. You know, be more careful...” He wound down as she continued to just stare at him and then flinched when she vanished the chopsticks with a quick jab of her wand. His ears turned red as he turned back around to continue his trip for the plates.

Harry felt bad for his friend and tried to intercede for him. “He’ll never learn how to use them if you don’t let him try.” Hermione gave him the same look she’d given Ron, but Harry tried to stand up to it better than his friend had. That changed when Ginny began to speak.

“Harry, he nearly ruined my appetite with his performance last time. He also wasted a lot of the food. You know him, Harry; he can’t slow down eating enough to do a good job with chopsticks. Besides, didn’t you give up on them?”

“He should still get another chance...”

“He can do that when he won’t spoil anyone else’s appetite.”

Harry just nodded his concession and didn’t notice Ginny watching him as he quietly drummed his fingers as he waited. Ginny interrupted her concerned look at her boyfriend when Ron returned with four plates and began distributing them. Hermione summoned large spoons and began putting them into various opened containers of food. Ron’s mouth twitched when he realized that he should have thought of serving spoons as well.

They started out quietly as they served themselves and started eating but that changed when Ron brought up the movie again. “That John Hannah bloke is pretty good isn’t he? He was so funny. He’s from the UK too, did you know that?”

Hermione and Harry nodded their agreement but Ginny spoke up. “I really identified with the Evy character. I have a lot of experience with a clueless older brother too.”

Ron’s chuckle quickly changed to a suspicious look at his sister. “Did you have any particular brother in mind?”

She gave him a teasing grin before nonchalantly saying, “Not necessarily....”

She returned to her meal with a big grin but Ron continued looking at her suspiciously until his appetite distracted him into eating again. Harry thought of something he had meant to tease Hermione about and tried to bring it up in an innocent manner.

“What did you think of the library scene, Hermione?”

She looked puzzled for a moment until her gaze at Harry sharpened. “You’re referring to when all of the bookshelves fell over?”

“That’s the one.”

“I thought it was a tasteless scene that wasn’t funny at all.”

She said it so seriously that Harry was tempted to believe it but he tried to resist. Ron seemed to fall for it as he blushed and focussed even more on his meal. Eventually Hermione looked over at Harry again who was still giving her a sceptical look when she burst out laughing. “Oh, Harry. You know I’m not as bad as Madam Pince! I thought it was hilarious!”

Harry laughed too but was still a bit chagrined that he’d nearly fallen for her reversal of his teasing. His amusement increased when he saw Ron giving her a look that was part shock and part amused. Ron began to laugh and shake his head at the same time. He saw Ginny giving him a very amused grin and he wondered which part she found so amusing but suspected that it was mainly Hermione teasing him back.

Ginny asked, “Harry, what did you think of the scene where Evy got drunk?”

“That was pretty funny. I thought it was too bad that O’Connell didn’t get his kiss though.” He pretended to look sorrowful which made Ginny laugh.

“He got the girl in the end.”

“Or maybe she got him.”

Ginny giggled before responding. “They got each other, Harry. That’s the way it is supposed to be.”

She liked his initial grin and slight blush but then his brow furrowed slightly with worry and he looked down at his plate, nervously pushing the food around it before concentrating on eating it again. Ginny wished she knew what was going on. He’d been nervous for about two weeks and didn’t want to talk about it. She noticed Ron giving Harry a questioning look and Harry just shook his head and seemed to become gloomier still. She wished she knew if Ron was helping or hurting with his involvement. She began to wonder if Ron knew what was bothering Harry. She figured she could finagle it out of him if she really wanted to and considered taking that tack rather than pursuing it directly with Harry. She really wasn’t sure what to do.

Hermione had a somewhat dreamy smile on her face as she started speaking. “I loved the effects; I mean, the transformation of Imhotep was amazing. Also the sandstorm when it formed into his face, that was very effective. I sort of felt sorry for the World War I fighter pilot but he did go out the way he wanted.” The rest agreed with her assessment and they continued to chat about the movie as they were finishing their meals.

Eventually they were all done and Hermione took out the fortune cookies and started speaking a little tentatively, which was unlike her. “There’s a Muggle game they do with fortune cookies. We each read our fortune and then at the end, add ‘in bed’.”

Ron found that amusing and Harry blushed, and based on Harry’s reaction Ginny decided that it was a good idea. “Let’s do it!”

Hermione quickly distributed one cookie to each before putting the rest in the middle. “I’ll start!” They saw her eyes flick over the small piece of paper before she read it aloud and her blush made them realize it was probably a good one. She began to read. “Love is like war, easy to begin, but very hard to stop” she paused dramatically and then added, “in bed.”

Ron found that hilarious and Hermione began to blush even more but her pretend glare wasn’t very convincing at all. Ginny spoke up when the laughter began to fade.

“Me next!” She opened her cookie and grinned broadly as she read it silently first. Her slight blush gave away the fact that this was probably another good one. “Someone thinks you are very special and
wants to let you know it...” She then looked directly at Harry and added, “in bed.”

Ron’s laughter was a bit more reserved until Harry produced the biggest blush yet and the girls joined in with his laughter, eventually Harry relaxed and allowed himself to join in as well. Ron had to rub tears from his eyes as he calmed down but Harry was still too embarrassed to speak so Ron opted to go next.

“My turn!” Ron opened his cookie and immediately began to read “Life is too short to be little...” He drifted to a stop with a look of great chagrin. The silence ended when Ginny added, “in bed”. They all grinned at first but did not laugh and Hermione was biting her lip as if worried. Ron reached out, grabbed another cookie and quickly crushed it and then read the message silently first this time. He didn’t seem pleased but when he saw them all looking at him expectantly he reluctantly read it aloud. “You took the wrong cookie. Now you've messed everything up.”

That got everyone else laughing again and even Ron joined in after mumbling something. Harry knew it was his turn but he had learned from Ron’s mistake and read his silently first. At first he thought it would be funny, but then he realized that it combined with Ginny’s and put even more pressure on him. Even fortune cookies were turning on him now! He glanced at Ginny when he realized he was hesitating too long and saw that she was concerned so he decided to just get it over with and see what happened.

“Your wishes will come true tonight...” He decided to pause like Hermione had before finishing. “In bed.”

Everyone started to laugh, including Harry but he nearly choked when Ginny waggled her eyebrows at him and then winked. He felt his face burning and he knew he was giving them a spectacular blushing show once again. He decided that Ron was enjoying his discomfort a bit too much and wished he could tease Ginny back, but he knew from prior experience that it wouldn’t go well. She was much better at flirting and teasing than he was and he didn’t think he’d ever be able to match her.

They were all startled when someone unexpectedly knocked at the door at such a late hour and a puzzled Hermione went to answer it. Harry briefly considered going as backup and he saw Ron glancing at him with a similar thought in mind. However, it was very quiet these days with all of the major Death Eaters dead or in prison and Hermione would definitely not appreciate any suggestion that she couldn’t handle things herself.

Harry relaxed when he heard familiar voices exchanging greetings with Hermione. Ginny and Ron’s parents had decided to drop by unannounced, but Hermione was reassuring them that they were quite welcome. As greetings were exchanged all around and small talk started, Harry noted that Arthur seemed curious about the movie that they’d seen but Molly was concentrating on Ginny and himself. His relief at the appearance of friendly faces suddenly morphed to chagrin but he tried not to show it. What were they doing here? A possibility occurred to him that he tried to shove as far away as possible. He didn’t need more pressure, not now.

He wondered if Molly’s obvious interest in Ginny and himself had some other explanation but it was difficult to be certain. It could just be a normal concern about how her only daughter was doing. Ginny’s choice of career had not gone over well with her mother at first but they seemed to have made peace quite a while ago. Harry wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Harry’s attention returned to Arthur when he asked a question about the cookies still sitting in the centre of the table. Hermione gave a warning glance at Ron as she answered.

“We were playing a game where we each read our fortune out loud...” She trailed off apparently deciding not to mention their little addition to the game.

“So there is a note inside the cookie? How do they do that without burning the paper?”

Hermione looked unsure as she replied. “I’m not sure, I never thought about it. I suppose they must use a low temperature oven.”

“Can we join in?”

“Certainly! There’s plenty left.”

She directed another quelling glance at Ron and was attentive when Arthur opened his, read it silently and then spoke up. “Be honest and fair to everyone - whether a deeply loved family member or a stranger.” He paused with a smile and then continued, “I like that.”

Ron made an odd sound and his face was too strained to look normal. Harry glanced at Ginny and saw that she had her innocent face on. Hermione was giving Ron a subtle glare and at first Harry wondered what was going on. Then Hermione’s omission of part of their game came to mind and he realized that it would have been ‘a stranger in bed’. He tried to remain impassive and really didn’t want to think too much about it. It might be a fun game among friends, but adding the Weasley parents to the game made him uncomfortable.

Arthur seemed to catch on that something was amiss but Molly took one and read it aloud. “As is the mother, so is her daughter.” She then gave Ginny an approving look and although Ginny’s face didn’t change, Harry saw something like consternation in her eyes. He realized that the ‘in bed’ addition would not be good there either. This was quickly becoming awkward but Harry didn’t know what to do.

Arthur began to speak somewhat tentatively. “Well, perhaps we should head back home and let you continue your evening...”

Harry wanted this awkwardness over too, but he also did not want the elder Weasleys to feel at all unwelcome due to any discomfort coming from the younger couples. He was getting a little tired anyway and he and Ginny had early starts to their next day so he decided to try to smooth things over.

“Actually, Ginny and I should be heading home ourselves. I have an early meeting and Ginny has practice tomorrow morning.”

“He’s right; don’t leave on our account as we have to leave now anyway. Bye Mum, Dad.”

There were quick hugs and goodbyes all around and Harry tried to relax, but still found it difficult as he still had something else hanging over his head. He saw another concerned glance from Ginny as they headed for the door and he felt bad about it. He took her hand and she reacted with a smile as they started down the stairs.

Ginny had quickly agreed with Harry’s suggestion to get some time alone with him. She was encouraged when he took her hand but then he started to act nervous again and it did not abate as they reached the bottom of the stairs and began to walk to the nearest Apparition point. She had intended to be patient and let him bring this up in his own time but this behaviour was really beginning to concern her. She stopped and retained her firm grip on his hand so he had to stop as well and he turned to her with a questioning look.

"What's wrong, Harry? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?"

She was disappointed when his eyes got big and then he was glancing around nervously and she wasn't sure she would get an answer. She waited a few moments and was about to speak again when he sighed heavily and released her hand to begin fumbling in his pockets for something. She had no idea what it was but it certainly wasn’t his wand as he had a holder for it now.

Ginny had no clue what he might be up to, but he now seemed resigned to something rather than being so nervous. She just hoped this wouldn't be something bad. Her heart began to beat faster as she tried not to speculate on what was about to happen.

Harry suddenly relaxed as he found what he was looking for, and she was even more astonished as he began to lower himself to one knee. It was a deliberate movement, but she was still so startled by it that she automatically reached out to help him back up when she hesitated. He was now looking up at her with a nervous smile, and she saw what he had in his hand and gasped in surprise. He had a box — a very small box like one that might hold a ring.

If she had thought her heart was beating fast when she was worried about bad news that was nothing compared to the fevered pace her heart reached now. She started feeling short of breath and her knees felt weak and she began to wonder if she’d be on her knees next, although not in a totally voluntary movement as Harry had just done.

He took one of her trembling hands in his own and she realized that he wasn’t shaking nearly as much as she was all of a sudden. Who was the nervous one now? He cleared his throat and she had to suppress a startled twitch, as she certainly didn’t want to distract him now. This could be the moment that she had been hoping for since she was ten years old and the last thing she wanted to do was disrupt it.

She stared at his now hopeful smile and he seemed to be getting a little blurry so she quickly blinked to clear her eyes. She realized that she was holding her breath when he said the words that she had hoped to hear.

“Ginevra Molly Weasley, would do you me the very great honour of becoming my wife?”

Well, she could have done without him using her full name but that minor irritation vanished in a haze as a smile that seemed bigger than her face took hold. She knew what she should do now but all of that flew out of her head. The next thing she knew, she had practically tackled him to the ground and was doing her best to snog him senseless.

She eventually became aware of two things. She felt like she might pass out at any moment due to lack of oxygen and she had not answered him yet. Since both things required her to stop what she was doing, she reluctantly pulled back and took a few panting breaths. She had to smile wider again when she saw the stunned look in Harry’s eyes. She wouldn’t keep him waiting any longer though.

“Yes, I will marry you! Yes! Yes!”

When a big smile took hold on Harry’s face, Ginny couldn’t resist and returned to what she had been doing before. She eventually was forced to concede that the ground was rather cold and a bit damp. She thought of the nice new clothes they were wearing but that wasn’t enough to deter her. However, the thought of what her mother would have to say if she caught them in this position was enough to pull her out of her attempt to set a new snogging record.

She pulled back again and saw a look on Harry’s face that made her breath hitch. The way he could look at her was one of the things that kept drawing her to him. How such an abused and overburdened boy had become such a loving man was still beyond her comprehension. She would never complain about it though and she would be forever grateful.

She gave him her best happy grin and started to get up and helped him as soon as she had her balance. It was only fair since she was the one who had knocked him down after all. She was looking around discretely to make sure that her mother had not already seen them when she noticed what appeared to be a Muggle couple passing by about 20 yards away who were laughing. If they were laughing at them, she did not care. She had Harry now and she was not going to be ashamed of showing him how she felt about him. She might have to fake it though if her mother caught them.

When he was standing next to her she gave him a hug worthy of her mother but he gave as good as he received. She pulled back to look up at him and said, “Let’s make this official.”

She stepped back and held out her hand and noticed that it was still shaking a bit but ignored it. She watched him slip the ring on her finger, and she felt it as it resized itself to fit her. She admired the glint of the diamond as she slowly turned it to catch the glow from nearby street lights.

Ginny looked up to see Harry giving her that look again so she put her arms up around his neck and gave him a kiss that she hoped would tell him what was in her heart. When the kiss was done she sighed and leaned her head against his chest and luxuriated in his warm hug. This was how life was meant to be and she vowed to give him as much of it as he deserved. She knew she would reap at least as much back so it was no effort for her at all. She pulled back and looked up at him before speaking.

“Let’s go tell everyone.”

Harry gave her a sheepish smile and nodded his agreement. He saw her face morph from radiant happiness to surprise and his heart lurched in his chest as he wondered what she was thinking. A slightly rueful grin appeared on her face as she looked up at him again. “They already know, don’t they?” She looked thoughtful for a moment and asked more seriously, “Ron too?”

A small part of Harry had expected something like this. Things had been going too well and now his bungled attempt at planning his proposal was backfiring and given his luck, probably spectacularly. He grimaced before starting to speak. “Ron was an accident — um — I thought I was being discrete. You see I wasn’t sure of wizarding customs so I had to ask about whether a bloke should ask the girl’s father first but Ron figured it out and said that your father would appreciate the gesture and I swore him to secrecy and well, I had to ask your dad and he must have told your mum and....”

Harry’s babbling ended abruptly as Ginny’s hands cupped his cheeks lovingly and he was nearly stunned by the beaming smile she was giving him. “Harry, it doesn’t matter if I was the last one in the whole world to know. This is the happiest moment in my life.  I love you so much.”

Ginny went up on her toes as she pulled his head down for another kiss and Harry practically melted into her in relief. When she pulled back her face had a teasing expression. “Maybe Hermione will be surprised.”

“Maybe.” Harry wasn’t so sure though, Hermione was so smart and observant that one could never be certain. To Harry, it seemed wiser to bet on what she did know rather than on what she didn’t.

That was the moment that Ginny noted that Harry’s hair was even more dishevelled than usual, and then she noticed that their clothing needed some tidying. She remembered Harry running his hands through her hair and knew that she probably looked even worse than he did. She’d had to remove such evidence of their activities before so a few discrete swishes of her wand had them ready for company again.

Ginny sighed happily and grabbed his hand and led him back to the stairs. These last two weeks of Harry being so nervous must have been him waiting for the moment to propose and she nearly shook her head at the wasted time worrying over nothing. If Harry had any doubt of what her answer would be she didn’t know what could convince him. Then she had to suppress a chuckle at the thought that the last few minutes — or was it longer? — should have done the job.

She hoped she wasn't cutting off his circulation with her death-grip on his hand as they walked back up the stairs to Hermione's apartment. This had become the best evening of her life and she couldn't wait to share it. She hoped neither of them would get in trouble for being late the next day as she also planned to share the joy of this moment with her brand new fiancé later this night.

In bed.
Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear