Search:

SIYE Time:15:55 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
By Bware0313

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Fluff, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Negative Alcohol Use
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 9
Summary: It's the end of the summer after the fall of Voldemort. Change is coming, and Harry and Ron have to say goodbye to two very special girls, how do they deal with that?
Hitcount: Story Total: 4844



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
you guys know the drill... I don't actually own this sandbox, (Damn). Please let me know what you think. I have an idea of an Epilogue I could throw in with a parallel (no spoilers though). Let me know if I should write it!




ChapterPrinter


It was a late August night as Harry Potter lay in his bed staring at the ceiling. No matter how hard he slowed his breathing, or how long he lay with his eyes closed, sleep evaded him completely. He tried to force himself to relax as his mind replayed the glorious memories he had made over the past summer. The past four months had easily been the best in his whole life. No more Dursley’s, no more Voldemort, no more secrets, and no more quests filled with danger. It was just him, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. The days had been filled with picnics at the beach, casual strolls through Diagon Alley, and days of two a side Quidditch in the orchard. Never before had he been able to experience this ultimate freedom. However, that was all soon about to end.

Harry sighed deeply. It was becoming evident that he would not be sleeping tonight. Even Ron was tossing and turning quite a bit. Suddenly, a soft pop brought his attention back to the present. His hand was halfway to his wand before he realized that it was only Hermione.

Sitting up and putting his glasses on, Harry looked at her. “What are you bloody doing Hermione? You don’t sneak up on a bloke when he’s trying to sleep.”

Hermione sat at the foot of his bed and looked at him sadly. “Trying to sleep?” she asked rhetorically. “Me too,” she said sadly.

“Things will be different,” Harry stated softly.

“It’s going to be the first time I’ve ever gone without you guys,”

“You’ll still have Ginny,” Harry offered, it would be of no help though. He knew exactly what she meant.

“That’s not the same, and you know it Harry. It’s always been you, Ron, and I. We’ve been together through thick and thin. Always,” she trailed off. “I don’t know how to be without you guys.”

Harry let his head lean back against his headboard as he sighed heavily. This wasn’t the first time he’d questioned his decision of whether or not to go back to Hogwarts. Ron and he had immediately jumped at the opportunity to go straight into Auror training, which was set to start the next week. Ginny hadn’t had much choice in a return to Hogwarts, and of course, the ever logical Hermione had insisted upon finishing her schooling. As much as he loved the idea of the four of them returning to a final year together, he couldn’t imagine it. Hogwarts had simply given him all that it had to offer.

“Trust me. I’m not fond of it either. I’m going to miss you so much,”

Hermione smiled sadly. “Not as much as Ginny you won’t.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “That’s different Hermione. I love you, but it’s not the same love that I have for her. I’m going to miss you too, but…”
Hermione laughed as she cut him off. “Harry stop it, I was just teasing.”

Harry stopped for a moment before he smiled at his best friend. He couldn’t believe his luck that he had friends such as his.

“Look at me getting all teary eyed, I’m not here to just have a heart to heart Harry.”

Harry cocked his head at her before she left out an exasperated sigh.

“She needs you tonight Harry, and if I’m not quite mistaken, you need her too.”

Harry frowned. He and Hermione had discussed the possibility of this particular arrangement before, but they had decided against bringing it up to Ron. As Ginny’s bigger brother, they didn’t think he would approve, even though it would be a mutual benefit for him as well.

Hermione rolled her eyes. “I’ll deal with him, don’t worry about that.”

Harry nodded and quickly jumped out of bed. He noticed Hermione raise her eyebrows at the sight of him in only his boxers, to which he rolled his eyes.

“Oh please. Nothing you haven’t seen before.”

“Not much a sight if you ask me,” she joked as he quickly pulled on some sweats and an old t-shirt. If he was getting caught, he was getting caught in as much clothes as he could wear.

“Oh stuff it,” Harry mumbled as he stuffed his wand into the waistband of his sweats.

“We’ll swap places again at six,” she whispered softly as she crawled into bed next to Ron, who visibly relaxed at her touch.

Harry nodded, having instantly interpreted that as, “Please be dressed when I apparate in.” She needn’t be worried; he had no intentions of that this evening.

“Oh, and Harry, do concentrate and make it quiet. Her room is a lot closer to her parents than Ron’s.”

“Right,” he whispered. “Night Hermione.”

“Goodnight Harry.”

Harry concentrated immensely on his apparition before appearing in Ginny’s room. He was immensely pleased that his appearance had been even quiter than Hermione’s. Taking a moment, Harry secured the door and cast a silencing charm on the room. You couldn’t ever be too careful when it came to sneaking around.

Slowly slipping into her bed so as not to disturb her, Harry immediately felt at home. As if she sensed his presence, Ginny immediately moved towards him and Harry gathered her in his arms.

“Mmmm, Harry,” she mumbled as she buried her face into his chest.

“I’m here Gin,” he murmured softly as he stroked her hair.

“I love you Harry,” she whispered, clearly half asleep.

“I love you to Gin,” Harry replied, finally feeling the effects of sleep sinking in.

The morning came all too quickly.

---------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ----------------

September first dawned much too early in Harry’s opinion as he strolled through Kings Cross. Okay, strolled was the understatement of the year. Even though the group was plenty capable of apparating straight to the platform, Mrs. Weasley still felt it necessary to pack them all into a Ministry car. Granted, it was much easier with only two trunks rather than four (or more), but the whole thing still seemed rather ridiculous to Harry as they sprinted through Kings Cross.

As they approached the platform, Hermione and Ginny ran ahead and made it through first. Molly and Arthur followed them, soon followed by an irate Harry and Ron.

Coming through on the other side, Harry saw no trace of Hermione or Ginny. Glancing up at the clock told him that the train pulled out in less than five minutes.

“Shite,” he muttered as he began to move towards the train.

“Look! It’s Harry Potter!” Somebody shouted, and a crowd suddenly converged on him. Immediately impatient, Harry quickly pushed his way through the crowd and ran after Ron who had an immense head start.

Finally catching sight of them, Harry’s jaw dropped. It seemed the whole family had come to see Ginny off. Slowly walking up to them, Harry couldn’t help but feel infuriated. He knew it was wrong, but he wanted this precious time with her. Glancing over at Ron who was slowly, but passionately kissing Hermione goodbye wasn’t helping anything either. He noticed the package she held in her hand, and Harry’s hand immediately moved to his pocket where he felt a similar one.

“Not leaving me without kissing me goodbye, are you Potter?” Ginny asked smoothly as she wrapped her arms around him.

Not caring that her entire family was watching, without caring that surely they would make the front page tomorrow, Harry kissed her. He tried to show her just how much he meant to her in that kiss, he gave her a part of his soul in that kiss.

Sadly, everything good must come to an end. The miserable couple was forced apart when the train’s loud whistle sounded.

“I’ll miss you,” she whispered.

“I’ll miss you more,” Harry nearly sobbed. She slowly pulled away from him and began to walk towards the train before he remembered.

“Ginny wait!” Harry cried as he ran forward. Taking the package out of his pocket, he quickly slipped it into her hand.

“What’s this?” she queried.

“It’s, erm, it’s a promise ring,” Harry stated bluntly before capturing her hands in his, and looking deeply into her eyes. “This is a token of the love I feel for you Gin. It’s my promise to be faithful to you, and to love you every single day until I see you again.”

The look of love in her eyes made the ring worth every galleon he had spent on it, as well as the galleons he had loaned Ron for Hermione’s ring (which he probably wouldn’t ever see again but could care less about)

“Ginny!” Her mother shouted irately as the train began to move.

“I love you,” she said as she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. In the blink of an eye she was running away from him, and jumping onto the moving train. Harry and Ron ran after the train for as long as they could, and then they were gone.

------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------

Harry stumbled up the stairs of the empty house. Going into Ron’s room, he kicked open his trunk and brought out his heavy traveling cloak. As he put it on, he moved in front of the mirror and applied a glamour charm. It wouldn’t do to be recognized. He pulled the hood up over his head, and gave himself a final glance over before apparating.

Appearing outside of the Leaky Cauldron, Harry moved inside. Pulling up a chair to the bar, Tom gave him a curious look.

“What’ll you have?”

“Shot of Firewhiskey, and then the strongest drink you’ve got.”

Tom gave a curt nod before quickly filling the order.

Harry slammed the shot and winced as the liquor burned its way down to his stomach. Sighing, Harry turned his attention towards his next drink.

The whiskey did its job, and it wasn’t long before Harry was feeling slightly buzzed. He was so distracted even, that he didn’t notice a red head saddle up next to him.

“Shot of Firewhiskey for me Tom,” he called before turning to Harry.

“Man, aren’t we pathetic?” Ron queried.

Harry turned towards the man and nearly jumped out of his skin when he noticed it was Ron. “How’d you know it was me?” he asked before waving his hand in front of his face, canceling the charm.

“Harry!” Ron exclaimed loudly as he nearly fell out of his seat. “Blimey mate, I didn’t know it was you, I was referring to the fact that we’re already hitting the bars this early! Wow, I guess this only makes it worse,” he chuckled.

Harry snorted before taking a long draw from his drink.

“You know mate, my mum always said that distance makes the heart grow fonder. I just don’t see it.”

“Me either,” Harry replied softly as he glanced around the bar. A few older men surrounded them, quite obviously already drunk. What would his parents think if they could see him now? Shite, what would Ginny think if she saw him now? Harry felt quite disgusted with himself. What in the bloody hell had he died for? Did he literally come back from Death’s grip to hang around the bar flies in the middle of the afternoon?

Harry chugged the rest of his drink and slammed it down. Suddenly standing up, Ron gave him a surprised look.

“C’mon Ron,” Harry said as he moved towards the entrance to Diagon Alley.

“Harry! Where are you bloody going?” he yelled as he threw down enough money to cover the tab.

“What would the girls think if they saw us in there Ron?” he asked as he walked briskly through Diagon Alley.

“I try not to think about that actually,” Ron grunted as he moved to catch up with Harry.

“Well I’m not going to sit there and mope. I’ve got a much better idea,” Harry said as he walked into Quality Quidditch Supplies.

“What are we doing Harry? Will you just stop for a second?” he asked as Harry approached the shopkeeper.

“Hey, I want to buy a broom,” Harry stated as though it were the simplest thing in the world. “What’s the best one you’ve got?”

The man gave him a look, and then realized that it was Harry Potter standing in his shop.

“Mr. Harry Potter, it is such an honor!” he spluttered, clearly at a loss of words.

“Erm, thanks,” Harry replied.

“Right! Best broom! That would have to be the new Firebolt 360!” He stated gaily as he grabbed the model down off the shelf. “They just released it this past month! You see Mr. Potter; they’ve extended the main shaft of the broom by about four inches. The difference in the balance is truly remarkable, especially comparing to the already incredible balance of the previous version. They’ve also made the tail twigs much softer, which…” he ranted before Harry interrupted.

“That’s great sir! I’ll take it,” Harry stated.

Ron’s eyes became the size of saucers. “Harry, are you mad? Look mate, we can share my broom for the time being!”

Harry grimaced. “You’re broom? Oh lord no. Actually sir, I believe I’ll take three.”

Ron couldn’t believe his ears. “Th… thr… three?” he stuttered.

Harry looked at him as if he was asking how to add one to one. “One’s for Ginny.”

“Now of course that’s free of charge to you Mr. Potter! It’s the least I can do!”

Harry rolled his eyes, “Oh god no. I’m paying for these brooms sir, even if I have to stun you while I leave the money on your counter.”

The shopkeeper looked at him for a moment before dipping into a deep bow. “I have heard stories about your modesty Mr. Potter, and for once, the rumors were correct. If you will please just write your account number here sir,” he said as he gestured to a contract slip. “We can have the money directly taken from your account.”

“Excellent,” Harry replied as he signed the form. “Sir, if you could have one of those brooms sent to a Ginny Weasley at Hogwarts, I’d be much obliged to you.”

The shopkeeper waved his hand nonchalantly as he moved towards the back room, “Not a problem sir, not a problem.”

He quickly returned with two long packages and handed them to Harry.

Harry smirked at his best friend’s expression as he held the package out to him.

“Harry, I don’t know what to say,” Ron said softly as he accepted the package.

“You could start with a thank you,” Harry grinned. “And then kiss my ass for the next year,” he added as he moved to exit the shop, leaving a very stunned Ron behind.

And it was so that Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley spent the rest of the day flying at break neck speeds above the Forest of Dean. Simply reveling in the fact that even on the worst of days, they still had each other, and that they were still alive while many others so dear to them had perished.

The next year would be filled with tribulations and hard times, but they would make it through, and they would realize that the distance had not worn on their relationships, but instead made them even stronger, because distance truly does make the heart grow fonder.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear