Search:

SIYE Time:18:54 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Time and Travel Gift
By Nuvisionary

- Text Size +

Category: Twin Travel Challenge (2008-3)
Characters:None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 9
Summary: Is there really a moment that changes people into parents? Does it matter to us when our parents fall in love - it really only matters that they do. James and Lily find they bring the moment to Ginny and Harry.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6405



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I decided to stop just reading - some of the writers here have brought tears to my eyes - The Seeker, SAVING HARRY - you have got to read it! Many heartfelt thanks to my beta - sanidad - I used to think I was a pret'ner goodn wen it came to scriblin - amazing what a beta can do!




ChapterPrinter


The young man known to the world as Harry Potter stared into the darkness of his room at number four, Privet Drive as he relived the events of the previous months.  Known as the Boy-Who-Lived in the hidden Magical world, Harry was nothing more than the “disturbed” boy taken in by his relatives here.  As his memories of the past swirled in his mind, he wished he was nothing more than just a ‘normal’ person.

He relived the months that brought about his win in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, as well as the loss of Cedric and the rebirth of his nightmare.  The months where Hermione had pushed him in learning spells and charms, while Ron did nothing but show his disgust for Harry and his plight, were replayed again and again.

Harry began feeling the familiar sting behind his eyes when he thought of his time in the graveyard.  The raven-haired boy still had the build of a young child.  His eyes and face told a different story.  His striking green eyes held time at a standstill; his eyes aged him.  His face, though still youthful, held an unidentifiable distance.  This is the distance that comes with knowing fear, loss, and above all, angry frustration.  His face hid the knowledge his mind refused to forget: the Dark Lord was back.  He had taken Harry’s blood to regain his body.  Now he was rebuilding his forces.

Lord Voldemort had taken Harry’s chance at a normal life when he killed his parents and marked him with a terrible scar.  The scar on Harry’s forehead was made more terrible because it linked him with the madman.  It throbbed and burned.  It swept him into the most horrid visions of mayhem and destruction.  It let him see, hear and feel the madman as he committed the most heinous crimes against Magical and Muggle alike.
Sleep was never the escape for him that it was for others; it was only another opening to darkness.  Harry was sure now this darkness was where Voldermort waited for him.  He knew sleep was as much his enemy as any Dementor or Death Eater. 

Harry felt that the only thing that kept him sane was his connection to his two best friends: Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Ron had everything Harry wanted.  Ron had a large boisterous family, parents who unconditionally loved all their children, and siblings.  If Harry was completely honest with himself, he could admit he was jealous of what Ron dismissed as a bother.  Even after Ron had chucked him to the side, Harry could do nothing except forgive his best mate when Ron tried to mend their friendship.  Truth be told, Harry missed his friend as well as every thing they did together.  Without Ron, Harry felt alone.

Hermione, the smartest witch of her age, was very dear to Harry’s heart.  Her constant references to Hogwarts: a History and ever driven personality gave her a know-it-all quality that her bushy brown hair couldn’t hide.  She was intelligent and had grown into a very lovely lady.  Rita Skeeter had shown that in the photos of him and Hermione splashed across the Daily Prophet.  Along with the Howlers Hermione received about leaving Harry alone, she also got her share of love letters telling her she was too good for the likes of Harry.

Harry could only think about her as his best friend, but it did his heart good to know she was getting the attention she deserved on her own.  His closeness to her was that of a brother and sister.  He loved her.  And he loved his best mate Ron.  They were his family.

Harry worked himself up daily to write to his friends and let them know how he was doing.  Hermione would never let him off with his stock answer, “I’m fine.”  She knew he was hurting and refused to allow him to wallow in sorrow.  She made him write about everything, including the rebirthing ceremony.  Her letters were the only ones he could read without blaming himself.  She wrote about the imposter and how she should have been able to see through his use of Polyjuice Potion.  She said she knew there was no way they should have been exposed to Unforgivables and that she should have done something.  Harry knew she was trying to keep him from blaming himself by showing him how ridiculous it was for her to blame herself.  But she kept doing it.  She even blamed herself for involving Ginny in researching information back in second year.  That’s when Harry told her she had made her point.

Ginny, Ron’s younger sister, was someone who confused Harry’s feelings.  He had willingly gone to her aid in the Chamber of Secrets to fight Voldemort’s diary.  He proved he was a true Gryffindor, as well as one of Dumbledore’s men, when he pulled Gryffindor’s sword from the Sorting Hat.  The hat was brought to him by Fawkes, the headmaster’s phoenix.

Ginny was too young for him.  Besides, Ginny was Ron’s baby sister.  She was a Weasley.  They were as close to family as Harry had.  He wouldn’t think about her that way… if he could help it.  The Weasleys were glad Harry saved her that day in the Chamber of Secrets, but he doubted they would approve of him even thinking of dating her.  At the thought of this, Harry’s face flushed with heat.  He didn’t think he was ready for girls yet, and putting her out of his mind was easy.  “She’s Ron’s baby sister.”
 
Harry was roused from his reverie by the arrival of his snowy white owl, Hedwig.

“Hello, girl,” Harry said.  “Been hunting, have you?” he asked as she playfully nipped at his fingers.  He knew she took her job as a post owl very seriously.  She also knew Harry was fond of her because he never did or said anything to harm her or her feelings.  She was in every way his familiar and friend.

Harry untied the parchment on the owl’s leg and gave her a couple of owl treats and water.  He opened the letter knowing the messy scrawl was from his best mate.

 

Dear Harry,

Mum is about to go spare again.  She wants to make sure you have a good time while you’re here so we have to do all the housework we can so you don’t have to watch us do it while you’re here.  I think she’s mad.  I mean how many times do we have to degnome the garden before she realizes they always come back? 

Hermione is here and she’s already on my last nerve about school. There’s something I need to tell you about her that I can’t write at the moment.  She’s glaring at me asking what’s taking so long for me to let you know Dad and I will pick you up this morning on the way to the Ministry.  Dad says you don’t need to worry. The ministry’s not upset with you at the moment.

Well mate, see you in the morning. Make sure you’re ready, or Dad will want to talk to your Muggles about everything.

Ron

 

Harry finished his letter and put it with the stack of others he had already received from his friends.  He put the entire stack in his truck and took out a piece of parchment and writing supplies.  Harry wrote his Aunt Petunia a short note telling her he was gone and when he would return.  He never thought about how he knew about things like simple courtesy and consideration.  No one here had ever shown him any growing up.

Harry woke the next day earlier than usual.  He knew Mr. Weasley liked to get an early start on his day.  He also knew Ron would be as cooperative as a Blast-Ended Skrewt.  Ron was not a morning person.  Neither was Harry–but no where near as bad as Ron.
Harry was just finishing up in the loo when a knock came at the door.  He wiped his hands as fast as he could and sprinted down the stairs to the door only to find his aunt already opening the door.

“Good morning, Mrs. Dursley,” came the normally perky voice of Mr. Weasley.  “Is Harry ready to leave?”

Arthur Weasley continued with his cheerful greetings as if she had answered him with a similarly upbeat tone.  All she did was scowl and purse her horsy face lips at him.

 “W-What do you want?” she stuttered.  “Get out of my doorway. The neighbors will see you.  Vernon’s had enough trouble with your kind and don’t you dare even look at Dudley, you horrible man.”

Harry felt horrible for the man.  He knew Mr. Weasley had only done things to help the Dursleys recover from underaged magic.  It probably didn’t help that most of the events he had to fix were caused by his twin sons.

“Hello, Mr. Weasley,” Harry said.  “I just need to get my trunk.”

Harry ran back upstairs, grabbed his trunk and his note and met his aunt and Mr. Weasley at the door.

Vernon Dursley, Harry’s magic-hating uncle, joined them.

“Finally,” he huffed.  “You go with your freaks and don’t come back.”

Harry knew this was not going to go well as he heard Mr. Weasley take a deep breath.  When he looked at Mr. Weasley’s face, Harry only saw sadness, not the anger or outrage he had expected.

“Mr. Dursley,” he began, “far be it for me to point out simple civility for someone who is as prominent as you are in business, however, I find your treatment of your nephew unbefitting a man of your station.”

Harry’s uncle was as stunned as if Mr. Weasley had hit him with a Stunner from his wand.

“I’m sure you realize by now that ‘our kind’ are very involved in the affairs of ‘your world’ both politically and financially,” Mr. Weasley said while putting his fingers in the air to show his quotes.  “With that being said, I’m sure you recognize that Harry is a celebrity.  You should understand that he has a number of very powerful people who are very interested in his well-being.  You should also understand that they will not be pleased if I let it slip that Grunnings is the cause of his mistreatment.”

Harry’s aunt and uncle paled at the veiled threat to Vernon’s job at the drill manufacturer — not that much was hidden.

“Yes,” Vernon started, “well, be sure to behave yourself, then.” Harry saw the sickly sweet smile Vernon reserved for explaining his freakish nephew to the neighbors splayed across his ample face.

“I’m sure they’ll be pleased if I report that Harry is being well treated by his family, even if they could use some behind the scenes financial sponsorship,” Mr. Weasley said.

Vernon’s face changed as he considered the words of the red-haired man standing in his entry hall.

“Very well then, you can come back,” Vernon said.

Mr. Weasley knew he had made some headway and was not about to push their luck or his own diplomatic skills.  He waved his wand and banished Harry’s trunk to the Burrow.
Moments later, Harry and Mr. Weasley were walking to Mrs. Figg’s house to use the Floo connection and meet Ron.

“That was brilliant, Mr. Weasley,” Harry said.  “I’ve never seen Uncle Vernon change like that.  He practically invited me back! What made you do that?  How did you find those things out?  Who are the people you were talking about?”

Harry was about to go on when Mr. Weasley held up a hand the way he did at the Burrow when he wanted everyone’s attention.

“Harry, I didn’t say those things to impress you or to flatter you,” he said.  “I said them to help you cope with your situation. Your family is cruel and they mistreat you.”

Harry looked down at the sidewalk and suddenly became very interested in the cracks it developed.

“There is no need to hide the truth, Harry… or to be ashamed of it,” Mr. Weasley said as he put his hand on Harry’s shoulder.  “You are a wonderful boy.  And you will become a wonderful and powerful wizard. How you have done that so far in this environment is a marvel to me as well as many others.  We are not willing to stand by anymore, so get used to us minding your relatives a little more than we have in the past.

“Enough said.  Let’s see if Ron is ready to go yet.  Mrs. Figg was just about to show him one of her Muggle photo albums of her cats.”

Harry smiled because he knew Ron was no fan of cats.  Ron had a history with Crookshanks, Hermione’s part-Kneezle cat.

Mr. Weasley’s knock on the door was met immediately by Ron.  He looked as he did when he was vomiting slugs in second year.

“Get me out of here,” he whispered in a shriek.  “This one’s mad, she is.  I’ve never seen more cats, in more pictures in my life than just now.”

Ron stepped out of the way and in a distinctly out-of-character fashion said, “Ah yes... well, here they are, Mrs. Figg.  Both ready to leave, I imagine.  You know Dad never has a good time with those Muggles, so I’m sure he’s ready to get to the Ministry and take care of those things he takes care of… there… at the Ministry.”

Ron seemed to run out of words while Harry and Mr. Weasley watched, with just the hint of a smile appearing on their lips.

____________

Harry spent a very comfortable day with Ron and Mr. Weasley.  He was supposed to report to a meeting of the Committee for the Investigation of Foul Play.  They were part of the Department of Magical Games and Competition and were therefore very concerned about the story surrounding the death of a competitor during the Tri-Wizard Tournament.
He met them in a very Muggle looking office.  There were only six members of the committee, but none of them were familiar to him.  As they asked questions, Harry provided details and they seemed to accept everything he said.  It wasn’t like they were covering up Voldemort’s return.  It was as if they were ready to listen and act.  At the end of the meeting, they thanked Harry for his service to wizarding kind and wished him good day.

Afterwards, Mr. Weasley took him and Ron to Diagon Alley for lunch and then back to the Burrow.

Harry stumbled out of the green flames of the Floo into the Burrow’s living room.  Before he could catch his balance, he fell onto the couch and into Ginny’s lap as she folded laundry.

Ginny did her best to contain a surprised yelp at seeing Harry’s head in her lap.  She had only just told Hermione about her feelings for the boy and there he was, head in her lap as she was folding knickers.

Ron and Mr. Weasley followed shortly.  Harry was not prepared for Ron’s reaction.

“Harry,” Ron yelled, “what the bloody hell do you think you’re doing to my baby sister?”

Ron had barely gotten his last word out of his mouth when he was attacked by bat-sized bogies from his nose.

“I’ll have you know, Ron,” Ginny began, winding up with every word, “I am quite capable of taking care of myself.  And if I want Harry to put his head in my lap, then there is nothing you or anyone else has to say about it.  Do you understand?”

Realizing what she had just said, Ginny stood up, turned, and ran out of the room.  Seconds later the door to her room slammed shut.

“You definitely know what this means, don’t you?” Ron said, looking directly at Harry, and then at his father.

“She’s gone mental again,” Ron looked back at Harry, “and it’s your fault.”

“So how can it be my fault?” Harry said.  “All I did was fall out of the Floo.  It’s not like I planned a wedding or anything.  And what do you mean, ‘again?’”

“The first time you were here it was ‘Harry Potter this, Harry Potter that,’” Ron said. 

“Then Ron took the mickey out of her all summer long,” Hermione said as she walked into the room.

“Hermione!” Harry said as he jumped up to give his friend a hug.

“Yes, well, that’s besides the point,” Ron said.  “Thing is, she’s all wobbly over you, mate.  And you aren’t helping matters by putting your face in her lap.”

“Ronald,” Hermione started, “you have no idea what you’re talking about.  Harry has absolutely no idea what he’s doing to her.  As a matter of fact, I doubt he knows anything about girls in the first place.”

“You do know I’m standing right here,” Harry said.

“Well, its true, Harry,” Hermione continued.  “You don’t have a clue.”

The next couple of days passed with Harry on eggshells and Ginny in her room whenever Harry was around.  Harry felt bad that he’d been the cause of the problem, but Hermione was right.  He didn’t have a clue what to do about it.
 
The next Sunday’s dinner at the Weasleys, all the family was there, including Harry and Hermione. The entire group was laughing very loudly as the twins explained an experiment gone wrong. It was the louder pop of an Apparition from the living room that silenced everybody. They all listened for a hint of who might have arrived.  They were not expecting any visitors. The only thing they could faintly make out were… children arguing. Very young children.

Everybody at the table who had a wand brought them out, as Mr. Weasley, Charlie, Bill, and Ron carefully went to investigate. Fred and George slipped out the back door to circle around the house.  Harry, Ginny, and Molly stayed in the kitchen, ready to back up the others if anything was amiss.  It was Arthur who saw them first.

“Granddad!  James did it. I was just watching to see what would happen,” the little girl yelled.  She was the image of Ginny when she was the same age.  There were only small differences — like the round framed glasses she wore — but she was a Weasley through and through.  She had completely stolen Arthur’s heart and wrapped him around her smallest finger when she ran to him and embraced him at the legs.

“Well, Lily told me to do it. I didn’t think it was working,” cried the boy.  His face and body was that of Harry’s.  The frown on his face was as recognizable as the boy they had know for years.  The only thing missing was the lightning bolt scar on his forehead.
 
When Molly heard a child call her husband “Granddad,” she forgot all about her safety and bolted passed all the men, and entered the living room. She saw the two children and promptly fainted. By now, everybody was in the living room staring at them. Molly was almost forgotten.

They both looked the same age, about six or seven. The adorable little boy, already identified as James, had messy, black hair, and twinkling, brown eyes. The girl, Lily, was a beautiful girl, with long, red hair, and bright, green eyes.

When the children saw Harry and Ginny come in, they ran to them. James went to Harry, calling him “Dad,” like it wasn’t his fault. And Lily ran to Ginny calling her “Mum,” wanting her to believe her version. Arthur finally  was free to help Molly.

“Dad,” James said, “Lily said I couldn’t do it.  She dared me and kept making fun of me.  She called me a Squib and laughed at me.  She even gave me the wand you hid in the portrait of Uncle Remus and Aunt Tonks.”

“Mum,” Lily whispered into Ginny’s ear, “he’s not telling the truth again.  If it wasn’t for him always trying to prove he can do magic, none of this would have happened.

“I did laugh at him and I was making fun of him, but I didn’t give him the wand.  You know I wouldn’t do that–not after the stories that Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron told all of us at their house last time.”

Ginny picked up the girl and looked into her eyes.  She looked for some time before she put her down and asked.

“Who else did your aunt and uncle tell the story to?” Ginny said.

Lily tilted her head and squinted her eyes in concentration.

“Mummy, you were there,” she started.  “Remember, everyone was there.  Teddy was there, Daddy was there…” Lily produced name after name of those she remembered.  She was interrupted when Fred and George walked in from the back.

“You know you could have told us everything was okay,” Fred said.

“Right bit unbrotherly behavior, my dear bother,” George said.

“I most certainly agree, my good man and most handsome counterpart,” Fred said.

Both James and Lily froze in place.  They began to shake and cry.  James wrapped his arms around Harry’s legs as Lily did the same to Ginny.

“Looks like we scared our midget guests, Fred,” George said.

“George, if I didn’t know better, I’d say they didn’t like you,” Fred said

Just then both children wailed in terror.

“Yes, that proves it,” Fred said.  “They don’t like you.”

“Prove it!” George said.

James looked up at Harry, tears running down his face.  “Dad, please, I’m sorry. Make it stop.”

Harry felt his heart breaking as the little boy looked to him to save him from whatever it was that was hurting him and his sister.

“George, Fred, leave the room this instant,” Harry commanded.  “I don’t know what’s happening, but whatever it is, it has to do with you.”

They both looked at Harry, nodded and left the room.

Molly finally regained her place as the Weasley matriarch.  She stood and focused on Lily.

“Lily,” she said.  “Come here.”  Molly’s voice was emotionless.  But the command was clear to the girl as she made her way from Ginny to Molly’s arms.

“Grandmum, please, it wasn’t my fault,” Lilly said through sniffles. “Don’t be angry.  If it wasn’t for him, this would have never happened.  I told James not to do it.”

“My dear little girl,” Molly soothed, “This is a very serious situation.  You need to tell us exactly what happened... but first, how about we get some biscuits and hot chocolate?”

Both children slowed their tears and smiled at the woman they knew as their grandmother.

Moments later they were happily eating and drinking, while Molly and Arthur and doted on them.  Soon the little ones’ heads began bobbing up and down.  Their eyelids became heavier and heavier.

“Harry, Ginny, I think it’s time to put these little ones to bed,” Molly said without a hint of the fear she felt for both sets of children.

Arthur used an Engorgement Charm to change the size of Ginny’s bed in her room and Molly transfigured a pair of old pajamas of Ron’s and Ginny’s for the children to wear. Then Harry and Ginny, acting as the real parents, put the children down for the night. Ginny got them into their pajamas and under the covers.  She kissed each one on the cheek and wished them sweet dreams. Harry actually tucked them in under the blanket and kissed each on the forehead.  He sighed as Lily raised her arms, reached around his neck and pulled him toward her.

“I love you, Daddy,” she said in a drowsy voice.  “I really am sorry.  I hope you don’t hate me.”

Harry was stunned.  He could hardly believe this tiny child could think anyone could hate her, much less her father.  Thoughts rushed through Harry’s mind — all of them were the same.  I’m her father.  She’s my daughter.  This is my little girl. A single tear formed in Harry’s eye and dropped on his daughter’s pillow.

“Don’t you worry that pretty little head about it, dear.” Harry searched for words to soother her, but found that what he thought was a clunky expression of his feelings.

“Daddy still loves you and always will.  You just sleep now, and we’ll sort this out in the morning.”

The two teens waited until the children actually fell asleep before they stepped out and closed the door.

On the landing outside Ginny’s bedroom, the two stood quietly for a few moments, lost in their own thoughts.  They looked at each other. Harry noticed Ginny was biting her lower lip and he knew what that meant.  Harry eventually broke the silence.

“You look as nervous as I feel,” he told her.

“Well, err…this all changes things a bit. Seem we…are lot further in our...uh…relationship than I expected,” she barely got out.

“Come here,” he said opening up his arms to her. Ginny slowly wrapped her own arms around Harry as they hugged closer than they had in the past. “I’m still coming to grips with what all this means for us.”

“Yeah,” she replied. “But it’s a good thing.”

Just then, Arthur Weasley decided it was time to have a talk with the new parents.

“Harry, Ginny,” Arthur motioned for them to come to him.  “If I might have a moment…”

Harry was sure he knew what was coming.  He had already pictured his being asked to leave and never return.  He was also pretty sure he’d be asked to never see, look at, pursue, or even be in the same county as Ginny again.  Harry could feel a weight around his neck as he sat at the kitchen table, where Molly was putting away the last signs that his children were here.  His and Ginny’s babies were here, and he was going to be sent away.

“Stop it, Harry,” Ginny said.  “You aren’t going to be put to death.  Mum and Dad just want to know what happened.”

Ginny was just as frightened as he was, but she refused to give in to it.  She was happy for some reason.  She felt a deep love that she didn’t know she could feel for the little heads sleeping in her room.  She felt something for Harry, but it was nowhere near what she felt for Lily and James–not yet, at least.

Arthur looked at Harry and smiled.

“Ginny’s right, Harry. We are not about to kill you for something that happened in the future.”

Harry’s head began to spin.  He had not even considered what it was that brought these two bundles of joy to him and Ginny.

“You think they’re from the future?” Harry said.

“What other explanation can there be, Harry?” Molly said with glee.  “My grandbabies are here and we’ve got to take care of them.”

Arthur Weasley smiled and thought about what his beloved wife had just said to the boy who would someday give them these grandchildren.  “We also need to figure out how to get them back to where and when they belong,” he said.

“It would help if we knew how they got here,” Hermione said as she walked into the kitchen.

Harry looked up, as if from a daze.  He looked at Hermione because he could finally understand what she was saying.  He also understood that she and Ron were going to be safe.

“Right,” Harry said.  “You think we need to know the spell and just find the counterspell to return them...  sounds simple enough.  Where do we start?”

_______

Later, Ron and Hermione were in the kitchen together after his parents went to bed, and Harry and Ginny went into the family room to talk about their newfound family.
 
“Harry and Ginny are married!” Ron said. He pinched his arm and then yelled in pain.

“That’s what happens when you pinch yourself,” Hermione said, unsympathetically.

“They’re married, Hermione.  They have children,” Ron said, turning to her.

“Well, of course they are,” Hermione answered. “Aren’t they beautiful?” she said, “I’m an aunt, Ron, and you’re an uncle. To twins, no less.  Isn’t that brilliant?”

Ron had a confused look on his face.

“What do you mean ‘twins?’” he asked.  “They don’t look anything alike.  And one of them is a boy and the other a girl.”

“Oh Ronald, not identical twins–fraternal twins,” Hermione said.  “You know, same parents, separate eggs.”

Ron covered his lack of medical knowledge with a serious nod.

“Oh, yeah...right, flaturnal…” he said.

Hermione rolled her eyes knowing he had no idea what she was talking about.
“The word is ‘fraternal.’”

Hermione, now that she was over the shock, was looking excitedly at Ron. He recognized that look. It was the research look, combined with sheer happiness.

“You know what this means, don’t you, Ron?” Hermione asked. Ron shook his head.

“It means we made it. We all survive. Harry’s alive in the future, and he and Ginny are happy.  He’s alive!” Hermione started jumping up and down in excitement. Ron looked rather excited as the implications reached him as well. He reached for Hermione and hugged her tightly, unself-consciously for the first time ever.

“Do you know what else it means, Hermione?” Ron asked.  “It means that you and I make a life together.”

Ron had no clue what he was saying or who he was saying it to when he felt the sting of Hermione’s hand across his face.

“Don’t even think it, Ron,” she growled.  “You don’t know the full story that James and Lily know.  All you know it that we are their aunt and uncle.  Did it occur to you that we might not be married to each other?”

Rubbing the new handprint on his skin, Ron shook his head.

“Bloody hell, woman, what’d you go and do that for,” asked Ron.  “It’s not like I asked you to marry me right now.  I’m just saying…”

Hermione’s face went from anger to confusion in the span of a heartbeat.  She had just realized that Ron might actually have feelings for her.

“Just what are you saying, Ron?” She asked.

“Well, I was going to talk to Harry before I said anything,” Ron said as he started turning the trademark Weasley red.

“Hermione… I sort of…I mean I wanted to ask if…You know…”

“Spit it out, Ronald,” Hermione said.

“Okay! Fine! I fancy you! There, I’ve said it.”

Hermione stood still.  She had no idea what to think.  She had felt something for Ron since last year.  If she was true to her heart, she had felt it second year after she saw Ron willing to do whatever it took to save Ginny.  She just didn’t think he’d ever feel the same way about her, especially after Victor Krum had escorted her to the Yule Ball.

“Look, Hermione, I’m just saying that I really do fancy you and that we shouldn’t just keep…you know…hitting me.”

_______

Meanwhile, in the living room Harry and Ginny sat on separate chairs avoiding each other’s eyes.  Molly and Arthur told them that they were old enough to mind themselves, and that it was apparent the children came from a post-Hogwarts future.  They didn’t bother asking how they knew when they came from.

“You know, Lily is gorgeous,” Harry said.  “She looks just like you.  And James...  his eyes are yours too.  They are both perfect copies of you.”

Ginny smiled and stood up.  She walked over to the chair Harry sat in and pushed him over.

“Liar,” she whispered.  “Lily has you written all over her.  Her eyes light up the room.  They both have your crooked little smile.  And if there was any way to keep James’s hair down, it’s apparent we haven’t found it yet.”

Harry put his arm around her.

“You know, Harry, I’m sorry about this,” she said in a rough voice as if ready to cry.

“What about?” he asked.

“I know they can’t stay here, but now that I’ve seen them, I can’t let them go.  Harry, they’re ours.  They’re mine and I can’t bear the thought of sending them away.

“And I know you can’t either.  I heard you talking to Lily.  She broke your heart and you felt the same way I felt.  Like there was no way you could ever stop loving her no matter what she did.  And James did the same thing earlier.”

Harry said nothing.  He thought about how the Dursleys made him feel like a worthless freak.  He promised himself he’d never be the cause of that feeling in anyone.

“Tell me I’m wrong.”

“You aren’t wrong,” Harry said.  “I just can’t believe those two could just waltz in here and steal my heart away.  I never thought love was this…this powerful, you know.  I mean, both of them seem so familiar that I just want to…I don’t know.”

She took his face in her hands and gazed deeply into his eyes the same way she looked into Lily’s earlier.

“You know, Harry,” Ginny said, “I think we are feeling what Mum calls ‘parenthood.’”

Early the next morning, Harry and Ginny were awoken by the thunderous sound of two sets of feet barreling towards them.

“Mum, Dad, it’s morning!” James said in definitely an outside voice as he jumped on Harry’s midsection.  Harry had been stretched out on the family room couch, while Ginny had curled up in the chair they both occupied earlier.

“Mummy, can we please have pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream?” said Lily as she wove her way into Ginny’s lap.  “Grandmum has the most delicious strawberries in the world.  And you make the most brilliant pancakes.”

Ginny looked down and smiled at her little girl.  “My goodness, you are the little charmer.  And I’m sure you know by now that only works on your father.”

“Sometimes it works on you too,” Lily confessed.

Ginny looked at the girl’s emerald eyes and knew she was right.  But she wasn’t about to give in so easily.

“That may be so, but nothing’s going to happen to fill those tummies until you both get washed, dressed, and brushed.  Grandmum will have none of it at her breakfast table.”

James and Harry laughed as Harry tickled the squirming boy.  They became the center of Ginny’s and Lily’s attention.  All four were laughing as James had no choice because Harry’s fingers slid up and down the boys ribs finding ticklish spots everywhere.

Harry was lost in the fun.  This was a new joy for him.  It was like nothing he had ever had in his life.  He didn’t want it to end.  He wanted to stay in this one moment for the rest of his life.  He knew when next he cast his Patronus that this would be his happy memory.  And he also knew his Patronus would be the size of a house.

Ginny clapped her hands and spoke clearly.

“All right then you two, get to it,” she said, sounding exactly like Molly.  “You know what you are supposed to do.”

Harry blinked as the children stopped what they were doing, and happily sprung to their feet and out of the room.

“What happened?” Harry asked, truly bewildered.

“Harry, you know these are my darlings.  So I had to have had them trained to follow a morning schedule.  And I’m not about to send them home spoiled.”

Ginny froze at the thought she had just spoken.  It was a thought she had begun to hate.  It was a thought that already put her heart in a vise and began to crush her to the soul.
Harry saw the reality of her words wash over her face, and moved to bring her into his arms.

“I’m okay you know,” Ginny said in his arms.  “I know we’ll have them again with us.  And I know you are going to be a wonderful father.  Your face while you were playing with James was priceless.  And James played with you like it was something you always do with him.  Lily told me she wants the same breakfast that I always want.  She’s exactly how I pictured my daughter.”

Harry looked down at Ginny and smiled his crooked smile.

“Now, Mr. Potter, you will help me with those two by going up and making sure they haven’t made a wreck out of themselves or the bathroom.  I’m going to go make breakfast.”

Harry walked into the bathroom understanding why Ginny sent him.  Towels were strewn everywhere.  The water was running in the sink as well as the bathtub and shower.  Lily was standing in front of the mirror calmly brushing her hair.  She was half-dressed in the top she had on the night before and her socks.  Her brother, on the other hand, was the complete opposite.  He only wore his trousers while he played in the sink.

“Okay, you two, let’s get a move on here,” Harry said.

The children scurried around him as they finished up.  Meanwhile, Harry helped where he could.  He tied James’s shoelaces, even after James complained that he could do it by himself.  He handed Lily one of Ginny’s hair scrunchies so she could put her hair into a ponytail.

“Thank you, Daddy,” Lily said.

Lily looked up at Harry with childhood innocence and unquestioning love.  His heart melted as he knew she had him wrapped around her little finger.

“And you think I’m a spoiled git, wait till Mum sees you’ve been working Dad again,” James said while he pulled his head through his shirt.

Harry laughed at the boy’s sibling rivalry as much as the chocolate stain on the front of his shirt.

“Hold still, young man.”  Harry waved his wand at the stain and said “Scourgify.”

Both children looked at Harry as if they had never seen magic before.

“What’s the matter?” Harry asked.

“Why’d you use a wand?” James asked.  “You never even say anything most of the time.  Most of the time you just wave you hand and it’s done.”

Harry thought for a moment.

“Well, you know, I need to be able to do them both ways,” he said.

“But you said you don’t even teach verbal spells in your classes,” Lily said.  “You said your students are too advanced for that kind of thing.”

Molly called up for them from the kitchen letting them know breakfast was ready.

“Okay, off you go then,” Harry said.

“Yes,” James said.  “Gran can get very cross if she thinks we aren’t minding her.  You remember what she did to us the last time we were late to a meal.”

Lily’s face took on a very serious demeanor.  “She made us sit and watch as everyone else ate.  Then she made us clean up afterwards.  Then we had to wait for the next mealtime.  She wouldn’t even give us a sweet in the meantime.”

The children ran down the stairs and plopped into chairs as comfortably as if they were always a part of the Burrow.

Ron, Bill, Charlie, and Arthur Weasley were already seated while Molly and Ginny bustled around the kitchen. 

Harry noticed Fred’s and George’s absence from the table.

“Ron,” Harry asked.  “Where are Fred and George this morning?”

The twins both dropped their forks and stared at their Uncle Ron in mid-chew waiting for what he was about to say.

Ron froze in his seat with a sausage waiting for its ultimate fate midway between his mouth and plate.  Ron looked to Harry and motioned him to the family room.

“Uhh, Hermione and I need to talk to you,” he said. “Now seems like a very good time.”

For Ron to interrupt his meal, Harry knew this had to be serious.  Mr. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie got up with Harry and Ron and went with them into the family room.

“Bet you their talking about us,” James said.

“Yeah,” Lily agreed.  “I hope they don’t find out about how we really got here.”

“Uhm, about that,” James said.  “Have you noticed that Mum and Dad are different?  I mean they’re the same, but there’s something different.”

Lily sighed and looked toward the family room.

“They hardly ever touch or kiss each other,” Lily said.  “It’s like they don’t really like each other or something. I don’t know, though.  They still seem to like us.   It’s like they totally forgot about you nicking the wand from the portrait.”

“ME?” James yelled.  “You’re the one who found it and showed it to me.  You’re the one who found the book in Aunt Hermione’s library and…”

James stopped as he noticed his Mum and Gran staring at him and his sister.

“And what, young man, did you do?” Ginny said with a tone that threatened bodily damage if he didn’t come clean.

“There is no use hiding this one,” Molly said.  “The deed is done.  So the more truthful you are now, the quicker we can repair the damage.”

The children hung their heads looking remarkably like Harry when he’s in been caught breaking rules.

____

“Harry, we are pretty sure the kids came from the future,” Arthur started.  “It appears that James brought them here. And it looks like we need to send them back sooner than later.”

Bill walked to the fireplace and turned around to look at Harry and his father.

“You know why they need to go back, right?” he asked Harry.  Without waiting for an answer Bill went on.

“Harry, they know things about the future.  They know how things turn out.  I’m not saying that’s a bad thing… Okay, yeah, I am saying that’s a bad thing.  Look at the way they react to the twins.

“Not only that, but the names they mentioned last night...  Did you notice the names that were missing — not to mention the names that we’ve never heard?  I just met Fleur at the Tri-Wizard Tournament.  I’ve only just asked her out.”

Charlie smiled and said, “How do you know it was you she married?  It could be me. You know how you bollix up everything with the fairer sex.”

Bill blossomed into the Weasley blush and continued nonetheless.

“That doesn’t matter at the moment.  The thing that really worries us is their reaction to the twins–that’s why they aren’t here at the moment.  We need to know why they act the way they do when Fred and George show their faces.”

Arthur shuddered.

“It’s as if they’re seeing ghosts,” Ron said.

Hermione cleared her throat and waited for them to listen.

“Yes, well be that as it may, they are right, Harry.  Your twins need to go back to the right time.  They are bound to cause some major issues in our time.  Not to mention, every moment they are here, they are altering our timeline.

“I think it is safe to say they are too young to understand what they are doing.  However, I think they aren’t telling us the full story of how they got here.”

Just then Ginny frog marched the twins into the room and stood them in front of the big chair.

“Sit, now!” she commanded.  “And if you move so much as a hair on either of your heads, so help me...”

“Ginny, dear, don’t you think you are being just a little harsh,” Molly said as she soothed the twins.

The children complied with their mother’s commands hoping their Gran could smooth the sting of her words and what they were sure was to come from their father.

“Mum, this is not the time,” Ginny growled.  “You are just trying to protect them from the punishment they are about to receive.”

The twins and Harry gasped at the sound and words coming out of Ginny’s mouth.

“Harry, grow a pair.  Wait until you hear what your daughter got your son to do.  Then tell me they don’t deserve punishment.”

Harry looked at the children and could see the guilt on their faces.  They both hung their heads, silent tears falling onto their laps.

Ginny grabbed Harry’s shoulder and whispered into his ear.

“This is Mum’s idea, so play along like you are very disappointed.”

Harry nodded even though the twins were twisting his heart into knots with their tears.

“James, Lily, what is you mother talking about?” Harry asked.

The twins looked at each other and blurted out a river of words that made no sense.

“Wait.  Lily, you first,” Ginny commanded.

Lilly began mumbling her story.

“Speak up, dear.  A pretty girl like you should not mumble,” Molly said.

Lily gave Molly a small Potter smile and started again.  “Well, you know how you told us not to touch any of the books in Aunt Hermione’s library and how if we wanted to see any really difficult magic that you’d show us.”

Harry looked at Ginny and Molly to see what he should say.  They both mouthed “yes” at him.

“Yes, of course,” Harry said.

“Well, James and I didn’t listen.  We were reading one of Aunt Hermione’s books about time and travel.  It was about Apparating.  We wanted to go to Diagon Alley to get you and Mum something for your anniversary.”

James looked up as if he already knew the question that was coming.

“We saved all of our birthday money, and Gran and Granddad gave us money all the time,” James said.

Arthur and Molly went red.

“Grandparent’s prerogative,” Molly said.

“Go on,” Harry said.

“Well, we took…”  Lily stopped as James elbowed her in the ribs.

“James,” Ginny shrieked, “don’t you dare hit your sister.”

 “But, Mum,” James pleaded, “she was lying.”

“Okay, fine... I took the wand from the portrait.”

Lily looked at Harry as if she thought he’d come unhinged.  Seeing that he seemed to take it in stride, she continued.  “I saw you put it there after you came back from work one day.  It wasn’t your regular wand and you never really said anything about it and we really wanted to go.  So I took it.  James was sure he could do the wand movement, so I just held on.  The spell didn’t work, we were still here.  But you and Mum looked…different.”

Lily stopped and looked up at her father.

“Not in a bad way, just different,” Lily clarified.

Harry was pretty sure that his daughter noticed that he and Ginny were a lot younger than they were in their time.

“Yeah, and you act different too,” James added.  “It’s almost like you don’t even like each other any more.”

Arthur and Molly smiled at this comment.  They knew their children could tell when they were quarreling, so why shouldn’t James and Lily be able to tell when their parents weren’t even in love yet.

“And that’s not the worst of it either…”  James stopped and looked at his sister.  “Now there are two Uncle Georges and none of our cousins are here.  Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione haven’t said anything about where everyone is…even Uncle Bill looks different.”

Harry’s train of thought was instantly derailed by Ginny.

“Stop trying to make Har–your father feel sorry for you,” she said.  “You broke our rules and our trust.  Now we have to fix it.  I want you both to go into the kitchen and wait for us.”

Molly gathered up the youngsters and herded them into the kitchen.  As good as she was at controlling a houseful of rambunctious boys, she was better at soothing and coddling her grandbabies.

“Okay, so let’s look at what we know,” Arthur said.  “Seems the little ones stumbled on what they thought was a book on Apparition, though I’ve never heard of such a book on time and travel.

“They used a wand Harry hid in their home–one that they didn’t have when they got here. And they seem to be very confused about being in this time.”

Ron spoke up in a deadly calm voice.  “They also know who made it and who didn’t.”

“Ronald, don’t be so maudlin,” Hermione said.  “They are six years old.  They only know what their parents have told them and what they have seen.  The bigger picture isn’t something we are going to share with them until they are older.  So stop acting like they are providing a look into the beyond.”  Hermione did her best Professor Trelawney impersonation of the last three words.

“What we need to do is find a way to send them back or else they’ll be lost to the future,” Hermione reasoned.

“What if I don’t want them to go back,” Ginny asked.  “I mean, what if we can’t find a way to send them back.  I know they aren’t pets…but I can’t believe I’m saying this…I want to keep them,” Ginny said.

The tension in the room was as thick as split-pea soup.  No one could believe Ginny would want to be a mother or that she was willing to keep Harry’s children.

The fireplace flamed green and the head of Professor Dumbledore appeared.  “Ah, marvelous,” the old wizard said.  “Almost everyone I want to speak to is in the room.  Arthur, would you mind if I came through?”

“Of course, Albus, you know you are always welcome here,” Arthur said.

The flame expanded and out came the professor.

“I have some rather strange news that I think will interest you,” the professor said.  “It seems that two names have been added to Hogwarts’ rolls many blank pages in front of the last birth.  The names are James and Lily Potter. 

“Harry, I’ve been keeping an eye on you, but I dare say perhaps not close enough.”

It was Harry’s turn to blush.  He was not sure if his mentor was having him on or was actually serious.  Then the twinkle returned to the headmaster’s eye.

“Don’t worry, Harry.  I am sure your honor as well as that of the youngsters’ mother is still intact.  This kind of thing only happens in very specific situations.  However, I must insist that whatever the cause, it must be reversed as soon as possible.”

Harry called to the kitchen for Molly to bring in the twins.  As they entered, they looked at the old professor with wide eyes.

“You’re Professor Dumbledore, aren’t you?” asked James.  “We’ve seen you before in the portrait in Headmistress McGonagall’s office.”

“Ah, yes,” the old wizard said.  “I’m sure you have visited Hogwarts on many occasions.  And with both of your names written on the rolls, you are each guaranteed a spot.”

The twins’ faces lit up at the mention of going to Hogwarts.  Then their expression changed to fury as they turned to Ginny.

“YOU SAID WE COULDN’T GO!” screamed Lily in a voice that could have come from a girl twice her age and size.  “YOU LIED TO US!”

The girl ran to Ginny and started swinging wildly at her.

“Why did you lie to us?” she sobbed.  “You knew they made fun of us.  You knew they teased us.”

Ginny held the girl tightly as she struggled and sobbed.  James stood still.  The emotion stirred back and forth in his mind.  His hair stood on end as the windows in the Burrow began to shake.  The longer the boy thought about what he and his sister had been told the worse the shaking became.

Harry reached down to pick up the boy.  As his hand came close a sudden bolt of magical energy struck Harry’s hand and flung him to the wall.  Harry immediately got up and ran at the boy.

“James, stop this instant,” Harry said in a much more calm voice than anyone could imagine him having after being flung at a wall by a six-year-old boy.  Harry reached for the boy again, and was again hit by a bolt of energy.  This time Harry was ready and continued until he had the boy in his arms.

“James, stop and listen,” Harry soothed.  “You know we were not trying to hurt you.  You know we love you.  You know you and your sister mean the world to us.  You need to calm down.  You need to listen to us and calm down.”

The boy sobbed in Harry’s arms.

“Dad, we didn’t mean to make you hate us,” he cried.  “We wanted to be good.  We just wanted for you to love us like everyone else.”

Dumbledore put his hand on Harry’s shoulder.  He then put his other hand on Ginny’s head.

“Harry, Ginny, I think I might be able to help James and Lily understand what’s happened to them.  Please, children, look at me and I’ll explain as best as I can what happened and how we are going to put things to rights.”

The twins turned their tear-stained faces towards the old headmaster.

“You see, children, you are in the past.  You did some extraordinary magic that locked your names out of Hogwarts’ rolls until you came here to release your own magic.”

James looked up at Harry.  “You mean my dad is not really my dad?” he asked.

“Oh, no,” Dumbledore said. “Just by the example of the accidental magic you showed, he is most definitely your father–just not yet.  And your mother... she too is your mother–again–just not yet.

“You children have given both of them a very special gift.  You have shown them your love.  And this is a gift that they will carry in their hearts for the rest of their lives.  But now you have come to the end of the time that you can enjoy this gift together.  Now you must go back to your own time.”

Dumbledore drew his wand to the gasps of the children.

“That’s the wand we used,” yelled Lily.

Dumbledore smiled and nodded.

“Of course it is.  Both of you hold my hands.  We are about to go back.”

Ginny reached out to her darling children, tears in her eyes.  She embraced them one more time and kissed them each on the cheek.

“Don’t cry, Mummy,” Lily said, her own little voice cracking.  “We’ll be home in just a little while.”

Harry got down on his knees and followed Ginny’s lead.  He hugged Lily and kissed her on the forehead.  Then he grabbed James and hugged him tighter than the boy had ever been held.

“Dad,” James choked.  “I’m sorry we made you and Mummy sad.  We didn’t mean to.  We promise to be good.”

“James,” Harry said as tears were streaming down his face, “I love you.  I love you both. Your Mum and I couldn’t be prouder of you.  We’ll miss you.”

With that, Dumbledore wave his wand in a complicated pattern and then reversed the pattern, and with a small pop they were gone.

Ginny sat down in the family room, thoroughly exhausted and frustrated.  She could hardly believe the range of emotions she had gone through.  She could tell as she looked at Harry that he too was worn out.

“I don’t know what to think,” he said.

Then, as they had hoped all those years ago at the Burrow, the two children they were waiting for appeared in the middle of the family room.  Ginny burst into tears of joy and grabbed them both.  Her little darlings were back.  Harry looked at their escort.  Tears coursed down his face as he stood face to face with his mentor.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said.  “So good to see you.  I must say that I seem to be popping in at some very emotional moments.  Just seconds ago, the both of you were crying while saying goodbye.  And now here we are saying a tearful hello.  Ah, parenthood.  It is such a wonderful experience.”

Harry looked at his old professor and without warning embraced the older man.

“It’s good to see you, Professor.  Thanks for bringing them home.  They’ve been gone for nearly two days.”

Harry’s expression changed to a questioning one. “I’m sure everything has been put to rights.”

“Yes, Harry,” Dumbledore said with his special twinkle in his eye.  “Things have been put to rights.”

With that, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore left, never to return again.

“Mummy,” Lily said.  “Now you look right.  Guess what?  We are going to Hogwarts!”

“Yes, baby,” Ginny soothed.  “We know.  We’ve known for a very long time.”

“Dad,” James asked.

“Yes, son,” Harry said.

“Did you like our gift?”

“Oh yes, more than you'll ever know...more than you'll ever know.”

Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear