Search:

SIYE Time:20:32 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Redefining the Face
By Ellyse

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 37
Summary: Hermione knows Harry fancies Ginny. She can't tell Ginny, obviously. But that doesn't mean Ginny can't guess...
Hitcount: Story Total: 7246



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I randomly found this half-finished on my computer, and decided it needed completing. I’m convinced Hermione told Ginny her suspicions during HBP, but I’m also of the mind that Ginny figured Harry out for herself. So I tried to combine both here.




ChapterPrinter



‘“Yeah, well, there was no need for Ginny and Dean to split up […],” said Harry, still trying to sound casual. “Or are they still together?”
“Yes, they are – but why are you so interested?” asked Hermione, giving Harry a sharp look.
“I just don't want my Quidditch team messed up again!” he said hastily, but Hermione continued to look suspicious…’
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

* * *

Hermione emerged from the portrait hole and scanned the Gryffindor Common Room. Ginny was sat at a table, unusually engaged in an essay. Hermione shifted her weight from foot to foot for a moment, reluctant to distract her. Then she crossed the room, settled in the seat next to Ginny, and threw her bag pointedly to the ground. Ginny looked up and opened her mouth to say hello. Hermione cut across her.

“I’ve got something to tell you.”

Ginny sat back in her chair. “Okay.”

“But I can’t tell you.”

“Okay.”

They stared at one another. Hermione widened her eyes.

“Oh, right.” Ginny gave a start. “You want me to guess?”

Hermione nodded. Ginny laid down her quill and looked thoughtful.

“Did you get three perfect marks in a row again?”

“No. And — keep quiet about that!” Hermione hissed.

Ginny laughed. “It’s just when you told me that, I…” seeing Hermione’s face, she broke off.

“Back to guessing,” Hermione said impatiently.

“Have you and my brother finally got together?”

“No. And — what? No!”

“Kidding…” Ginny laughed.

Inwardly, Hermione screamed. Why did she think this was funny? Why was she treating it like a huge joke?

Meanwhile, Ginny was biting her lip thoughtfully. “Have you…?” she began.

“It’s not about me!” Hermione said shrilly.

“Oh right.” Ginny tugged at the end of her hair. “Gossip not about you. Is it about a Gryffindor? About Luna? About a teacher?”

“No, it’s not gossip. It’s serious.”

“Is it about Quidditch?”

“No. More important than Quidditch.”

“More important than Quidditch?” Ginny frowned. “Sorry, I don’t understand.”

Hermione sighed: sometimes, speaking to Ginny was as infuriating as talking to her brother.

“It’s about you!” Hermione hissed.

“Me?”

“Yes.”

“Oh. Someone’s being saying something about me?”

“Sort of.”

“Something bad? Who?” Her fingers twitched on her wand.

“Not something bad,” Hermione moaned. “The opposite.”

“Singing my praises?”

“Close.”

“Was it Dean?”

“No!” Hermione said violently.

“Okay, okay. Not Dean.” Ginny ran a hand through her hair. “Can you give me a clue?”

“It affects you and Dean.”

“Someone’s said something nice that affects me and Dean?” Ginny shook her head. “I don’t get it. Give me another clue.”

“No.”

“But that one doesn’t count!”

“No!” Hermione said. “I shouldn’t say anything.”

“Well.” Ginny pulled her parchment back towards her and picked up her quill once more. “If you shouldn’t say anything, Hermione, I really don’t think you should be saying any-”

“Harry fancies you,” Hermione blurted out.

Ginny blinked.

“What?” she said.

“Harry fancies you,” Hermione repeated, at half the speed.

There was a very long pause.

“No he doesn’t,” Ginny said at last.

“He does!” Hermione insisted.

“Very funny.” Ginny laughed, waited for Hermione to join in, then stopped when she didn’t. “Are you serious?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“Harry Potter?”

“How many other Harrys do we know?”

“No he doesn’t,” Ginny said again.

“Why doesn’t he?”

“Because… Because he doesn’t.”

“That’s not a very good counter argument, Ginny.”

Ginny looked around. “This is a joke, right? Harry and Ron are here, aren’t they? Under that cloak?” She peered into thin air, as though expecting them to suddenly materialise.

“Of course they aren’t,” said Hermione. “Would I do that? They’re still at dinner because Ron wanted second helpings.”

“Good. Because that would’ve been mean. And completely not funny.”

“The joke’s on Harry, anyway,” Hermione pointed out.

But Ginny wasn’t quite up to examining the irony just yet. “What do you mean, he fancies me?” she asked. “How do you know?”

“Look, I know Harry, all right? He’s not exactly hard to figure out. When he’s mad, he’s all shouty. When he’s heroic, he’s all determined. And when he fancies someone, he’s all pining and puppyish. Like this.”

Hermione pulled a pining and puppyish face. Ginny pointed at it.

“Oh yeah,” she grinned, apparently temporarily forgetting the situation in hand. “That’s quite a good I’ve-seen-Cho face.”

“No!” Hermione cried. “It’s now an I’ve-seen-Ginny face.”

“That’s what you’re going by?” Ginny said. “Because he did a Cho Face? That doesn’t mean anything. Maybe he had something in his eye. Maybe he was mucking about. Hey, Hermione — crazy thought - maybe he was actually looking at Cho.”

“Oh, for goodness’ sake,” snapped Hermione. “He’s not the least bit interested in Cho anymore. He’s interested in you.”

“But…”

“You just watch him, when you next see him. Watch out for the Cho Face.”

“Fine,” said Ginny, sounding highly unconvinced.

“Anyway, it wasn’t just because he did the Cho Face,” said Hermione. “He’s been acting funny, shifty…”

“Harry’s always…”

But Hermione cut across her again. “Yes, I know — he’s always like that. But when I told him you and Dean had the row about him falling off his broomstick, he looked like Christmas had come early. He said well, there was no need for them to break up over it — or are they still together?”

“Well, maybe he was just asking as a friend. Wanting to get the gossip.”

“Boys don’t want gossip,” Hermione said flatly. “I’ve been watching him since then, Ginny. Since he came out of the hospital wing. Believe me, he’s besotted.”

A hint of a blush crept across Ginny’s cheeks. Hermione frowned suddenly.

“Ginny?”

Ginny began to write her name unnecessarily slowly across the top of her parchment. Hermione was seized by a sudden suspicion and seized the quill from her fingers.

“Ginny — did you already know this?”

“No,” Ginny mumbled.

“Ginny!” exclaimed Hermione. “I spend ages trying to convince you, and you already know!”

“I don’t! I just — I’ve noticed… stuff.”

“Stuff?”

Ginny looked beseechingly at Hermione. “But I think it’s just because we’re closer now — as friends. You know, we talk, we play Quidditch. We’re friends.”

“You don’t throw Cho Faces at your friends, Ginny. He doesn’t do them at me or Luna…”

“Oh, stop going on about the Cho Face,” said Ginny, sounding grumpy.

“You know it’s true,” said Hermione. “You’ve known for a while, and you don’t want to accept it because you’re scared…”

“I’m not!”

“You’re scared because you still fancy him — more than fancy him — back. So now one or both of you has to get your act together.”

“Hermione!” said Ginny, looking half-annoyed, half-amused and all-incredulous. “I can’t believe you are telling us to get our act together. What’s next, Ron writing a column for Witch Weekly on relationship guidance?”

They stared at one another, having reached a stalemate. Then Hermione pulled her bag towards her and started unpacking books. Ginny picked up the quill Hermione had confiscated and began to examine her essay once more. They lapsed into silence for several minutes.

“If it is true…” Ginny began.

“Agh!” Hermione banged her head against the desk in frustration.

“I’m not saying it’s not!” Ginny said. “I’m just not saying it is either. If it is true… Well, what do I do? I mean, I’m with Dean,” she finished dully.

“About which you sound very enthusiastic,” pointed out Hermione.

“It’s not true,” said Ginny, more to herself than Hermione. “I’m going mad and you’re not helping. It’s not true…”

The portrait swung open. Ron climbed through, spotted them, and began to slouch over.

“Shh!” Hermione said, unnecessarily.

After Ron, Harry appeared. Ignoring the group of third year girls who had started giggling and fluttering their eyelashes at him, he followed Ron across the room and smiled at Hermione in greeting. Then he noticed Ginny. Hermione felt like dancing in triumph when, as Harry gazed at Ginny, his expression changed into one unmistakeably pining and unmistakeably puppyish.

Ginny looked at Hermione. She seemed to have stopped breathing.

“Hermione, you missed out,” Ron said, sitting down. “More pudding appeared once you’d gone and the sponge had extra jam...”

“I’ll live,” said Hermione.

Harry sat down next to Ron, carefully avoiding Ginny’s eyes.

“You say that now,” Ron continued, “but -”

“We’ve got to go,” interrupted Ginny. She jumped to her feet, grabbed Hermione’s hand and pulled her towards the stairs to the girls’ dormitories.

“Oh, that’s nice,” said Ron. “Just leave when we arrive. Charming.”

But Hermione was already being pushed up the stairs by Ginny. They stopped outside the fifth years’ dormitory. Ginny looked as though she were trying to read ancient runes without a dictionary.

“That was the Cho Face,” she said.

“Yes.”

“Directed at me.”

“Yes.”

“That was Harry directing the Cho Face - at me.”

“Yes.”

Hermione watched as Ginny leant against the tower wall, looking downright giddy.

“What am I going to do?” she asked.

Hermione rubbed her arm in what she hoped was a supportive, sympathetic and, most of all, an I-told-you-so type way.

“First,” she said, “I think you should rename the Face...”

* * *
Reviews 37
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear