Search:

SIYE Time:7:34 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Why Can't It Be Me?
By Maraudersgirl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 11
Summary: Harry and Ginny's relationship in Sixth year from the perspective of Dean Thomas.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6005



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
A/N: Hey everyone. Thanks for coming to read! Basically this is Harry and Ginny's relationship from Dean's perspective. Please Review. The song is by Mark Wills.




ChapterPrinter


Why Can’t It Be Me?



You’re wrong if you think I never saw it coming.

It was a long time coming. He was suddenly always there, always watching her, always talking to her, laughing with her.

It was only a matter of time really.

I just want what’s best for her, so I lied when she came to tell me it was over between us. I told her that was fine. That she was right, that I never felt any spark either, that there would never be anything between us. I could see it in her eyes. She didn’t love me like I did her. I wouldn’t hold her back like that.

After she broke up with me she swore we’d stay friends. And we did. We still talked and we still laughed. We still sat together in the Great Hall for lunch sometimes. It’s just…..friends didn’t mean much the day she walked away from me and waltzed right into his arms. That stupid Quidditch final. Maybe if we had lost things would be different, but who am I trying to kid, nothing would have changed. She would still have been his. It’s just now….he was hers.

Like he was always supposed to be.

I loved her you know. We didn’t date for a long time, but I loved her….still do as a matter of fact.

Some things won’t ever change. Not the spell for levitating, not the creatures in the Forbidden Forest, not Quidditch, not Transfiguration, not even Neville’s ability to forget things, nor Luna’s tendency to state the bluntest of truths. And not the love I carry in my heart for that amazingly talented witch with deep, brown eyes and gorgeous red hair.



Third of June she said goodbye
Watched her walk into the night
Hardest thing I ever did was let her go
We swore as friends we’d stay in touch
Best of friends don’t mean that much
When that phone calls comes to tell you
She’s in love




They're good together you know. Really good. Better than we ever were, ever could have been. I know that now. Seeing them together…it’s so obvious. They were made for each other.

You would have to be blind not to see….

Not to see the way she snuggles up to him in the Common Room. Right under his arm, close to his body, calmly reading her books or studying her notes. They look right….there together. I hate to say it, but it’s true. He’ll softly kiss her forehead and she’ll sigh because she can’t believe he’s with her…only her. That sigh I loved so much; that sigh I still love; the one that tells everyone how she feels; the one I never really got to hear until now. I sit across the room from them every evening. I don’t know why I do it; it only makes it hurt more. Sadly, that hasn’t stopped me yet.

You’d have to be blind not to see…

Not to see the way they kiss goodnight. A kiss. A smile. Waiting…wanting…stalling. Never wanting to leave. Standing there wrapped in each other’s arms. Stalling till that moment when they’d finally have to part. And I stand there night after night and envy him with every fiber of my being. Wanting…wishing…yet knowing, knowing it wasn’t supposed to be me. It was always meant to be him.

You’d have to be blind not to see….

Not to see that look in her eyes when he walks into the Great Hall every morning; the way they almost shine with happiness, with contentment, almost possessively so, simply because he’s hers. They could light up a room those chocolate brown eyes and they do…not because of me, like I always wanted…but because of him.

You’d have to be blind not to see…

Not to see her smile every time she catches him staring at her. That smile that can literally take your breath away, that sort of smirk she shoots him, that cute, adorable grin, that one that shows everyone how she feels. That one she used to send me, the one I saw so often because all I could do was stare at her. Yet, somehow it’s different. It’s a different smile. It’s that smile that gives her away. It’s that smile and so much more that shows everyone how she feels.

She came to me a couple nights after the incident in the Common Room. She hugged me and said thank you. I asked her what for and she told me she was happy. She said I was a great friend and that she knew I would find someone special. I wanted so badly to tell her that it was her, that I wanted that special someone to be her, but then I saw the look in her eye.

So much for being in Gryffindor.

Cowardice had never been a problem for me before. Until I looked in her eyes…and saw that look. She was glowing, floating on air. She was happy and I couldn’t even hate her for it. With every bone in my body I knew….I knew I had never made her that happy and for that I have to thank the one who’s taken my place. She deserves this and I would sooner face you-know-who then stand in the way of her joy.

So I smiled that smile I seem to be using a lot these days, that fake one that if anyone looked at closely enough, they would see the sadness written underneath. And still my heart aches every time I see them in the corridor. Every time I hear their words. Every time I feel their love. Every time I see her with the one who’s taken my place.



Told everyone I’m doing fine
Learned to get on with my life
I just want what’s best for her
So I lie
Found a note on my door last night
Said, “I’ll be your friend till the day I die”
But you should know I found someone
Now she’s in love





Cause you’d have to be deaf not to hear…

Not to hear the words she says. Those three words I wish were for me. They're not though….they're for him. It was always him. Since she was ten she’s known. And the answer has never been me. Not once. Forever, it was him. It kills knowing I’ll never hear those words directed at me from her mouth. But no one’s deaf enough to miss those words. Those words I’ve grown to despise. Those words that let everyone know she’s never giving him up.

You’d have to be a dead not to feel…

Not to feel the love that radiates from her, the power emanating from her every touch, the electricity coursing through their hands when they walk through the corridors together, the indescribable sensation that would make the whole thing amazingly incredible….if only it were me. That power never shone from her like it does now. Not when she was with me. Only for him.

You’d have to be a bloody moron not to know…

Not to know that she hasn’t stopped smiling to herself since the day he kissed her. Not to know that she’s walking on air. Not to know she looks like she’s been set free. Not to know that, since that day in the Common Room, the fire in her eyes hasn’t died. Not to know that she’s dancing with her feet off the ground. Not to know that she’s in love with that boy…...that boy who isn’t me.

I see her walk down the corridor. Her hand entwined in his. I see that look in her eye; that smile on her face, that love surrounding them the way it never did us. I see it all and I wonder
the same thing over and over….



She’s in love
She’s got that fire in her eyes
She’s in love
How her smile lights up the sky
It’s like she’s walking on air
She’s been set free
Still I can’t believe
She’s in love
Strolling down a one-way street
She’s in love
You’d swear her heart has wings
She’s in love
Why can’t it be me?




Unrequited love glows in its worst form every time you do something to make that person happier. Even though they're not with you, you can’t help it. You’ll lie even though you don’t want to. You’ll fake a smile even when it feels like a part of you has died. You’ll do whatever it takes to bring them joy...even though it constantly feels like you're planning your own funeral.

What kills the most is knowing you’re not the one they want, you’re not the one they need, you’re not the one they always dreamed of, you’re not their true love.

What really hurts is seeing them better off without you.

She’s in love with a guy that girl is……


Why can’t it be me?




A/N: I know it’s really short but it’s intended to be. I wanted to sort of summarize Dean’s feelings about Harry and Ginny being together. Again, I know that Ginny and Dean were never really this close and I don’t think Dean ever really loved Ginny, nonetheless I thought it would be fun to write. I was also thinking of doing one from Cho’s point of view. Let me know what you think.
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear