Search:

SIYE Time:2:07 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Reunited
By pottermania

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 20
Summary: Ever since reading DH, my mind has been whirling, thinking about what happened when Harry and Ginny see each other again, after the battle is won. This is one of my daydreams. A one shot.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7232



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I have been listening to Irish singer Ronan Keating and his cd Ten Years of Hits for weeks now. Many of the tracks inspired this story. Many thanks to my beta, cwarbeck. She has, very patiently, shown me where commas should go. This has not only helped me with this story, but will be useful many times over. Thanks, cel.




ChapterPrinter


With the sudden, terrifying realisation — if he was brutally honest, though, not entirely unexpected — everything seemed to fall into place in his previously muddied, cloudy brain. Of course, this explained everything - why he could sense what Voldemort was thinking, and why he could share the Dark Lord’s emotions.

Why hadn’t he seen it before? But when Harry thought about it, he had to admit to himself that he had been sensing the possibility of this ever since he had heard about the Horcruxes last year. He had just drilled himself to bury it deep within his subconscious. Suddenly, he clutched his stomach and fell to the floor of Dumbledore’s office, retching; the thought of that evil monster being inside him disgusted and scared him beyond belief.

At the same time, the next realisation came flooding into his horrified mind. He would have to die. Voldemort could not die if Harry remained alive. Every Horcrux had to be destroyed, so that now included him.

He covered his head in his shaking hands and sank further onto the floor; only the desk propped him up. The full horror of what needed to be done filled him.

His emotions, threatening to overcome him, suddenly seemed to part like theatre curtains. Before him on the boards, he could only see the most breathtaking beauty:

A young woman with long, billowing, coppery red hair.

A beautiful face, with blazing eyes and a smile that seemed to stretch on forever.

His Ginny!

***

Tears started to fall from his eyes, silently sliding down his face.

He had been stumbling round the country all year in the search for Horcruxes. This was the mission he had set himself - to save the wizarding world - but in reality, it was to save Ginny.

No matter how much Harry shook his head, trying to clear his mind and just think, he just could not see any escape out of this. He HAD to die. No amount of luck was going to bring him back from the dead.

He had sacrificed the love of his life. Harry was vaguely aware of that sudden dawning thought - he loved Ginny - and now he couldn’t even tell her how he felt or why it had to happen this way.

The chime of a clock behind Harry rapidly brought him out of his reverie, and he became aware of how much of the hour’s ceasefire he had left. He knew, with swift understanding, that he desperately wanted to write a letter to Ginny.

He quickly found parchment, ink and quill and settled at the desk in an attempt to put his thoughts in writing, all the time still conscious of the ticking clock behind him.

Once completed, Harry quickly sealed the letter. Realising he only had fifteen minutes of the hour left, he quickly swung his invisibility cloak over himself and slipped down the moving staircase and past the gargoyle guarding the entrance.

As he stepped outside the castle, he spotted Neville. In a split second he decided what to do. After making sure Neville understood the importance of killing Nagini, he slipped him the sealed letter.

“If anything happens to me Neville, please give this to Ginny,” he whispered.

Before Neville could ask any questions, Harry had donned the invisibility cloak and had once again disappeared. Neville silently slipped the letter inside his cloak, praying that he wouldn’t need to hand it over.

With a heavy heart, Harry made his way into the forest and his journey’s end. It made him think of the Snitch and the writing engraved on it - ‘I open at the close’.

He clumsily grappled with the opening of the pouch around his neck, and Harry finally pulled out the Snitch.

He pressed the Snitch to his mouth and mournfully whispered, “I am about to die.”

The metal shell broke open, revealing what Harry instantly knew to be the Resurrection Stone. He was immediately surrounded by the loved ones he had lost. They were there to accompany him, as he bravely went to sacrifice his life.

“A true Gryffindor if ever there was one,” Sirius, James and Lupin said together.

Harry held his head high and walked beside his mother, taking comfort from their presence.

At the flash of green, he knew Sirius was right when he said dying was quicker and easier than falling asleep.

***

In that limbo land between life and death, Harry knew that there wasn’t really a choice between going back and carrying on this journey. It wasn’t as if he wouldn’t be back here again at some point in the future anyway. And besides, he knew just why he wanted to go back.

***

After Narcissa had whispered to him her question about Draco and confirmed to Voldemort that Harry was indeed dead, he pondered over his plans. It was excruciatingly difficult to bite down the temptation to tell Hagrid he was ok, but common sense told him that subtlety had never been a strong point of Hagrid’s. It simply wasn’t worth taking the chance.

This, however, was nothing compared to the way his heart was wrenched when he heard McGonagall’s scream, followed closely by Hermione’s, Ron’s and Ginny’s. Fortunately, Neville, although devastated and incensed, remembered the instructions Harry had quickly explained.

Harry often had cause to think of Neville’s bravery over many future decades. “And they thought I was the true Gryffindor,” he wondered, as Neville pulled Gryffindor’s sword from the Sorting Hat and sliced of the snake’s head.

***

In the melee that followed, it was Hagrid who spotted that Harry had disappeared and started frantically shouting.

Harry only finally removed the invisibility cloak after he had cast the shield charm to protect Molly from Voldermort’s rage. Harry felt strangely calm as he and Voldemort circled each other.

It was as Dumbledore had said: Voldemort was a very talented wizard but his arrogance had made him make so many mistakes. Mistakes that Dumbledore had patiently made Harry understand so that now, Harry could be as sure as he could be that he had the ability to finish Voldemort off.

As Voldemort lay in a crumpled, undignified heap on the ground, Harry was desperate to escape the crowds. Luna, as she often did, knew exactly what he was thinking and engineered a diversion so Harry could put on his invisibility cloak once again, and slipped from the room unnoticed.

He noticed Ginny with Molly, but knew at this moment he owed his time more to Ron and Hermione. Fortunately, they were near the door and he was able to squeeze beside them and whisper urgently so that they could disappear to the Common Room.

***

Harry was desperate for sleep but his hunger for Ginny was too great to wait. He left the other two and slipped through the portrait hole and back to the Great Hall. He spotted her straight away, at the far end, surrounded by her family and Fred’s dead body.

He felt a cold hand squeeze over his heart at the sight, but at that moment Ginny looked up and saw him. She stood up. Before Harry knew what he was doing, he had leapt over one set of tables, then another, and was tearing down the hall towards her.

She started running in Harry’s direction, with her beautiful hair flowing out behind her. She flung herself at Harry. He caught her round the waist and spun her around. With no thought as to who was watching, their mouths were suddenly on top of each other’s, and they were passionately kissing. They ran their hands through each other’s hair and fell on to the benches, still kissing each other fervently.

Harry did not know how much time had passed, but they both stopped at the same time. Harry looked over Ginny’s head and caught sight of the Weasleys.

All of them, apart from Molly, wore the same expression: as if having been clubbed over the head - the same expression that Ron had had worn when Ginny and Harry had kissed for the first time in the Common Room. Molly had her arms out trying to prevent Bill and Charlie from getting out of their seats. Molly looked like she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

As Harry glanced down at Ginny, he noticed silent tears falling down her face. She had an angry glint in her eye and before Harry could take a step back, she was beating her fists on his chest.

“You went to die! How could you want to die! Do I mean nothing to you?” she screamed.

Harry tried valiantly, but without much success, to get hold of her wrists.

“You didn’t even say goodbye!” she yelled, and then she seemed to sag and drop to the floor in a heap. She repeated, but whispered this time, “You didn’t even say goodbye,” and then she started sobbing.

Unknown to Harry, Molly — and Arthur now - were having great difficulty keeping their sons from storming up to Harry. Harry didn’t know what to say. He crouched down beside her and put an arm around her shoulders but she flung it away.

Harry was then aware of someone discreetly coughing beside him. It appeared Ginny had heard as well. As they both looked up, they saw Neville.

“I was wondering, if this might be the right time to give Ginny the thing you gave me earlier,” Neville nervously suggested.

He looked apologetically at Harry in case this was entirely inappropriate. For a few seconds Harry stared at Neville, wondering what he was talking about, before comprehension dawned over his face.

“Yes. That might help me out. Thanks, Neville”.

Neville extracted the letter from his cloak, and slipped away as soon as he gave it to Harry. Harry took Ginny’s hand and looked directly into her slightly damp, brown eyes. “Ginny. I did say goodbye. It’s all here. I couldn’t say it in person, because although I know I’m a brave Gryffindor, I’m not THAT brave. I couldn’t have spoken to you and still gone ahead with what I needed to do. Please read it. If you want me, I’ll be in the Common Room. I’ll be waiting for you.”

***

In the opposite corner of the Great Hall, three people were huddled together, well distanced from everyone else. Lucius whispered to his wife and son, “I have no idea how Voldemort knew nothing about this.”

Draco, watching Harry’s disappearing form, looked back at his parents, “I think I know why.” He just shook his head in reluctant admiration for Harry.

“I’m glad he didn’t know,” Narcissa added, and the other two nodded in silent agreement.

***

As Harry walked out of the Great Hall, he was suddenly aware of all eyes on him.

Ginny turned the envelope over in her hands. She wondered about taking it over to her family but changed her mind and, with a sigh, slit it open and read through the contents.

***

Dear Ginny,

Much as this devastates me, I think I will probably be dead by the time you get this letter. Ron, Hermione and I have been hunting Horcruxes all year. A Horcrux is an object which holds part of someone’s soul. Dumbledore discovered that Voldemort had made six Horcruxes and we are nearly at the end of the hunt for these, with only Nagini to go. I have, however, just discovered through Snape’s memories (we saw Voldemort murder him) why the connection existed between myself and Voldemort. He unintentionally made me a Horcrux when he killed my parents and attempted to kill me. There is no way out of this. In order to destroy him, I have to die. My heart is so torn between the things I know I should do and what I want to do.

I have missed you so much over the last year. I am sorry that I didn’t trust you with this information before. It is only with death imminent that I have realised that I love you. I love you with every fibre of my being. I used to sit at night when the other two were sleeping and just gaze at your dot on the Marauder’s Map. I was so often tempted to abandon it all and return to The Burrow. If I die, I want you to know how much I loved you, and that you’re the only one for me. I feel so bad about not being there to tell you this myself, and not realising the truth of it until it was too late.

You and I didn’t need to talk to communicate. I could look at you and know what you were thinking. I never felt so comfortable around anyone else. The Common Room could be full, and yet it was as if it was just you and me there alone. You always knew the right thing to say to me. We just have this incredible connection.

I want you to promise me that you will move on with your life. I hope you never lose your sense of humour or your hunger for life. After all, this is what this war has been about. My death has to mean that you never have to fear the unknown; otherwise it has been for nothing. Promise me you won’t be bitter. If you get the choice between sitting out or dancing, please choose dancing.

Although you won’t be able to see me, please believe that I’m there with you, every step of the way, watching over you. Just believe in me, and I’ll be there for you.

I am the luckiest man in the world to have known you Ginny - to have shared your kisses, to have wound my fingers through your hair, touched your face and to have loved you. I often wonder what you saw in me.

I love you. Goodbye, Ginny.

Harry


***

Molly tiptoed up to Ginny, and sat on the floor beside her. She prised the letter from where it lay against Ginny’s chest and asked, “Can I read it?”

Ginny silently nodded her head.

As Molly eyes travelled down the piece of parchment, silent tears began to track down her face.

She folded it closed and turned to face her daughter, this beautiful woman in front of her. She grasped Ginny’s face between her hands, and swivelled it round so that Ginny’s eyes were looking directly into hers.

“Ginny dear, I think you know what you need to do.” Molly’s eyes were bright with tears.

Ginny tore her eyes from her mum’s and looked at her lap where she was fiddling with the lining of her cloak. “I feel so ashamed. I should never have said those things.”

Molly voice became almost stern. “And do you not think, Ginevra, that he would not forgive you that in a moment, with not a millisecond of hesitation?”

Ginny looked up at her mother. “Thanks, Mum,” she sniffed. “I’m just going up to the Common Room to find Harry.”

“Good girl. And Ginny? Don’t worry about your brothers. I will sort them out!”

***

As Ginny dashed from the Great Hall in her haste to find Harry, Molly returned to her family.

“Now, you boys are going to listen to me, and listen well. I am not going to divulge what that letter said, but it better be know around here that Harry loves Ginny. She is a young woman now, and does not need - I repeat, DOES NOT NEED - protected by overgrown louts who think they have her best interests at heart.”

As the tiny woman looked around at the boys who towered over her, they all looked at their feet sheepishly.

“OK?”

“OK,” they mumbled in reply.

***
Ginny found Harry sitting on the window ledge, gazing out over the grounds. He hadn’t heard her come in, but her reflection must have appeared in the window, because without warning, he turned around. His eyes were questioning, trying to hide the hope in his heart.

She held the letter out to him, and quietly said, “Does this mean we can dance together?”

The monster in his chest roared. He leapt from his stone seat and grabbed her shoulders, and then hesitated. “For real?”

Her mouth started to twitch at the sides, and Ginny nodded her head. He leant into her and kissed her softly on the forehead.

“I meant everything I said in that letter. You were the last thing I thought about when I died. I remembered when you kissed me in your room on my birthday. It gave me the strength to keep standing. I came looking for you and then we were kissing, and then you were punching me and I thought I had blown it. I was just sitting here wondering if you would come back to me, and thinking that if you didn’t, I was determined that you were more than worth fighting for. I wasn’t going to watch my life come crashing down around me without a fight.”

“Oh Harry, I’m sorry!” With another prick of her conscience, Ginny realised how tired he looked. “Come on, Harry. We can go up to the boys’ dormitory and I will stay with you. We’re both exhausted, and I really don’t want to be away from you at the moment.”

Harry’s face broke into a huge grin which disappeared as quickly as it appeared. “What will your family think? I saw your brothers’ faces!”

It was Ginny’s turn to grin. “My mum told me not to worry about them, and she also said she would sort them out!”

Harry laughed, and grinned again. “Well, if she’s on the job, I’m not worried in the least! Come on up.”

As Harry and Ginny disappeared up the stairs of Gryffindor Tower, Harry knew that the war really was finally over. As long as he was with Ginny, everything would be fine.

Harry suddenly stopped. “Gin? I’ll never leave you again. You know I mean that? Really, really mean it?”

“Yes, Harry. I believe you, because I now know you love me. And guess what?”

“What?” Harry smirked.

“I love you too!”

And with that, the couple disappeared from view.






Reviews 20
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear