Search:

SIYE Time:18:37 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Pulling in the Moonlight
By HarryGinnyMustLiveOn

- Text Size +

Category: Reconstruction Challenge (2007-5)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 3
Summary: Professor McGonagall makes Harry be in charge of rebuilding Hogwarts.
To get the end, it takes a few Curebreakers, McGonagall's broom, a couple of wands and a moon.

*Written for the Reconstruction (5-2007) Challenge*
Hitcount: Story Total: 3589



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I'd like to thank my sister for helping me all the ideas in this story, my mum for finally accepting that I love writing and my dad, for spending his precious time trying to get a stupid word program to work.

That's the reason this story is being entered so close to the deadline, not to mention the fact it hasn't been beta read. I left writing it until the last week, so I didn't have time to get it beta read...




ChapterPrinter


“Well, it doesn’t look too good.”

The words of the builder blew through the fog in Harry’s mind

“Mmm,” Harry mumbled. They had reached the Astronomy Tower. Harry and the builder were going around assessing the damage done to the castle during the war. The only thing he could remember of this tower was a shot of green light from Snape followed by a deceased Dumbledore falling backwards over the railing, almost to that very spot that they were standing. This film kept on replaying over and over in his mind.

Defogging his brain enough to be able to speak, he suggested, “I think we should have some sort of memorial here, maybe leaving a little bit of the tower unrepaired as a memorial to Dumbledore and all the others who died during the war.”

The builder shook his head, “No, I don’t think that leaving part of the tower unrepaired would work. The castle is old and frail enough as it is, without adding extra pressure. If you like though, you could put some blocks of stone on top of each other in front of the tower here and set a plaque in the stone with a memorial message instead.”

Pondering the idea, he rubbed his chin, “Maybe that could work; I’ll discuss it with Minerva."

Continuing to walk around the building, working their way inside, they surveyed the rest of the castle.

When they met with Professor McGonagall later on, they told her their findings, which weren’t really all that much.

“So what you’re saying is that three worst damaged areas are the Great Hall, the Astronomy Tower and the walls surrounding the estate, correct?” she questioned.

“Yes,” the builder clarified.

“And you’re also telling me that you have no idea at the moment on how to fix it?”

“Well, sort of,” Harry said. “I’m going to need to call in some experts to help me, but I think that I have a fairly good idea on at least how to start fixing the wall.”

“Oh yes?” McGonagall said, raising an eyebrow. “What is this idea and who are these experts?”

“Well, the idea is that there is a pattern for which order the blocks go in and I figure that Bill and some of his colleagues may be able to help me throughout this reconstruction."

“Okay then. Do as you wish, Mr Potter. You may leave now.”

“Thank you,” he said as he stood up to leave. Gasping, he suddenly remembered, “Minerva, what do you think about putting a memorial around at the Astronomy Tower, to remember all those who died during the course of the war?”

“I believe that to be a superb idea. How did you intend to display this memorial?”

“Well, I...,” Harry started, before the builder cut in.

We were thinking that maybe it could be a few blocks of stone piled up in a sort of a pyramid-like tower with a plaque on top. Harry here wanted to leave part of the tower unrepaired instead, but the castle is far too old and frail for that sort of thing,” he said, obviously trying to impress Professor McGonagall.

McGonagall replied, “Well then, I guess we can count on you to be helping us along a lot throughout the rest of this building. You may now leave; I have work to do.”

Just as they turned to leave, she spoke again.

“Oh and Harry, it is tradition that you add your own personal touch to the castle.”
Harry nodded and then he and the builder exited the room.
_________________________________ ________________________________

Late r on, back at his flat, Harry sat at his desk, finishing off a letter. It read:
Dear Bill,
I was wondering as to whether you would be able to spare some time to come over here to Hogwarts and help me with the rebuilding of the castle. I get the feeling that I’m going to need your expertise in reconstructing some of the worst hit areas, like the surrounding walls, Great Hall and Astronomy Tower. Please let me know soon.
From Harry.


Rereading it once, he picked it up, enveloped it and then tied it to the leg of a post owl he was renting at the time before opening the window so she could fly out.

Harry left his office and went downstairs to the lounge, where he lay down on the couch to continue pondering various ways to fix the castle.

After about half an hour of thinking unsuccessfully, he heard a voice calling out to him from the fire. He walked into the kitchen to see Hermione’s head in the fire, looking very cheerful as though she had just discovered something.

“Harry! I just had an idea! I think I know how we might be able to learn more about the various enchantments on the castle!”

His face breaking out in a smile, he said, “Brilliant. Do you want to come over and discuss this idea, or are you in a hurry?”

“Well,” she answered. “It’s only a very brief idea and I’m kind of in a hurry, so I won’t bother coming over.”

“Well then,” he demanded. “What is this idea?”

“Okay,” she answered breathlessly. “The idea is that we look through all the old scrolls in Dumbledore’s old office, you know how many rolls of parchment he had, to see if we could find anything about the enchantments and the like that were put on the castle when it was originally built, and the when it has been repaired and upgraded over more recent years.”

Putting his hands on his hips in a rather Mrs. Weasley-like fashion, he questioned, “Well, what is such a rush now that you couldn’t have come over and we could have discussed other methods that could have helped us too?”

“Well, you see, I’m kind of going out this evening with Ron, and this date starts in about three-quarters of an hour and I haven’t started getting ready. Apparently we’re going to a fancy restaurant run by a magical couple in Muggle London.”

“Ah. Would that restaurant happen to be called The Silver Sun, by any possible chance?”

Harry only knew this because he’d been talking to Ron the night before on the floo and he had told Harry that he was taking Hermione out to the Silver Sun restaurant the next night and that he was planning to propose to her.

“How did you know that?” she exclaimed.

“Oh, just the fact that your boyfriend happens to be my best mate.”

“You know something, don’t you? He must have told you something in the entire hour long conversation you had last night,” she accused.

“All I know is that he’s taking you out to the Silver Sun for dinner. The rest of time we discussed rebuilding the castle, not that that came too much.”

She gave him a slightly disbelieving look, but seemed reasonably placated by his answer.
Waving her off, he said good bye and she left to get ready.

Harry smiled to himself. He knew that Hermione would probably probe him as to whether or not he knew, but he didn’t care, he knew that Hermione would be very, very happy that night.

The next morning he woke up to an insistent tapping on his window. Groggily, he put on his glasses, got out of bed and opened the window. It was that post owl. Suddenly losing his annoyance at being woken up, he untied the letter from her leg and sat down to read the letter.

It read:
Dear Harry,
Of course I can spend some time helping rebuild Hogwarts. I’ll go over to the Burrow this morning at ten thirty.
From Bill.


Harry reread the letter several times to make sure that he really was coming before reality hit him. That letter said ten-thirty that morning. It must have been fairly late when he woke because it was very bright out through the window. Quickly he stood up and looked at his watch on his bedside table.

He swore. It was already ten fifteen. He had fifteen minutes to get ready. That included getting his notes ready that the builder had written up for him, which were currently strewn all over the lounge room floor. He quickly stood up and raced into the bathroom, where he had a shower and got dressed within three minutes. He then raced down the stairs at high speed, where he grabbed some left over pizza and ate it cold from the fridge. Going into the lounge room, he raced around trying to pick up all the papers the builders and architects had given him. Getting half way through, he suddenly realised something.

“You’re a flipping wizard,” he muttered to himself. “Why not just summon all the stupid things?”

With that said he summoned all the pieces of paper and glanced at his watch again. It was ten twenty-eight.

He then shoved all the papers in a bag and then apparated to the Burrow.

When he arrived there, there was smells wafting out of the kitchen door and outside there was two people, George and his fiancée, Alicia Spinnet sitting outside on the bench. As Harry walked over to them, George looked up.

“Ah, Harry me old mate. How are you?”

“Ah, hello Harry.” Alicia put in brightly.

“Hey George, Alicia. I’m great”

“Brilliant. Now, next thing. Why are you here? I wasn’t aware any special gathering was taking place today, besides a family lunch, and so it obviously isn’t that special, otherwise I would have been invited.”

“Sorry about that, George. I’m actually here to talk to Bill. Is he here yet? McGonagall’s making me lead the castle rebuilding.”

“Sure is. He made one hell of an entrance too. Brought a huge mass of papers with him and a few friends; nearly landed on me in the process. I swear he gets worse every time he apparates.”

“Brilliant. I better go.”

“Seeya!” they called out in unison as he walked over to the kitchen door.

Stepping inside he said hello to Mrs. Weasley and received a typical bone-crushing hug before continuing inside to the lounge where he was met by a high stack of papers, Bill and a couple of friends, just like George had said.

As he took a few steps into the room, Bill went over to him.

“Hello Harry,” he said as he slapped him on the back.

They turned to face the other two people in the room. One was a man of medium height with sharp features and pale curly brown hair, the other was a petite woman with soft features and straight black hair.

Just as Harry turned to ask who they were, Bill cut him off.

“Harry, I’d like you to meet two of my colleagues, Michael and Ruth. I brought them over to help me.”

They stood up and shook hands with Harry in turn before going back to their places on the couch.

Sitting down on one of the chairs in the room, they began to talk about what needed repairing.

“So Harry, you said in your letter that you needed help to repair the castle, mainly the Great Hall, Surrounding Walls and Astronomy Tower, is that correct?” Bill questioned.

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“And you think we can help?”

“Yes. I think there might be some magic there that I don’t know how to decode.”

They spent an hour and a half discussing strategies for finding out the problem and going over pieces of paper before Mrs Weasley called them out for lunch.

When they got out there, they found Arthur, Ginny, George, Alicia, Percy, Charlie, Ron and a glowing Hermione already seated there. As they walked out, Ginny looked up at them.

“Harry!” She jumped up and ran over to him.

Holding her in his arms, he said, “that irresistible am I? You miss me after you haven’t seen me for two days?”

“Yes.” She stood up on tip toes and kissed him.

“Oi!” A voice called out. It was George. “We want to eat here, not have to watch you to all day.”

Blushing, they looked around at the table. Everyone was staring at them.

Quickly, they went over and took their seats as everyone else started.

After everyone had eaten their fill, Ron and Hermione stood up.

“Everyone, we have a special announcement,” he said. “Hermione and I are engaged.”
Ginny squealed; Harry, Arthur, Bill and Charlie all clapped; Molly looked like she couldn’t believe it and George called out ‘About time!’ There was slaps on the back for Ron, hugs for Hermione and congratulations all round. They looked like the happiest people in the world.

Later on back in the lounge room where everyone was relaxing, Harry, Hermione, Bill, Michael and Ruth were all sitting on the floor trying to decide on a plan of attack to working out the tricks of the castle.

“What about going round to the places that are the worst damaged and casting different charms on different areas to work it out?” Ruth suggested.

“Nah.” Bill said. “Those charms are too modern. This castle is so well protected it’s ridiculous, plus those charms are designed for pyramids, not castles.”

“Oh well,” she said. “It was worth a shot, and anyway, if we can’t find any other way, we can try them. I know they’re more designed for pyramids, but they are also designed to detect charms and hexes.”

Then Hermione spoke up. “What about going through some of the old scrolls in Dumbledore’s old office? There’s bound to be something there on fixing at least part of the castle.”

“That’s a great idea Hermione,” Harry said. “Why don’t some of us look through the old scrolls tomorrow, maybe you, me and possibly Ginny and Ron if they want to...?”

Ginny started nodding as Ron cut him off. “Of course I bloody want to! You think I don’t want to rebuild Hogwarts or something?”

“No Ron, that’s not what I meant, I just didn’t know whether or not you wanted to spend your entire day looking through scrolls. Anyway, what I was saying was that you guys,” he pointed to Bill, Ruth and Michael. “Could go around and look at the damaged areas and start working on it, see if you know anything that could help us figure it out, while Hermione, Ron, Ginny and I start looking through the scrolls.”

Ruth, Michael and Bill nodded in agreement.

“But now, seeing as we’ve worked all this out, I need to go. I’m fairly tired and I need to write a few letters before I go to bed.”

He said his goodbyes and stood up and walked out of the room. Just as he got out the door, Ginny came running after him.

“Going somewhere without saying goodbye?” she said.

“Nah. I just didn’t want to have to kiss you in front of your entire family. You know what George is like.”

“I suppose so.”

Then Harry leaned some and gave a quick kiss before leaning back.

“I better go now love.”

“Oh, but can you stay a little longer?”

“Sorry. I can’t.”

“Can I come with you?”

“Nope. I’m afraid I don’t feel like being mashed either.”

“What?!”

“Your brothers. I you came anywhere near my flat without someone else besides me, they mash me to pulp and serve me up with dinner.”

“I guess.”

He gave her a quick peck on the cheek and then turned away, waved and then apparated back to his flat.

Just as he walked through the door to the lounge room, he realised.

“Damn it!” he swore to himself. “I left my bag there.”

Going into the office he grabbed a handful of Floo powder from the pot on the mantle and knelt down in front of the empty fireplace. He stuck his head in there, then dropped the powder and said ‘The Burrow.’

He felt a slight spinning sensation and his head popped through the Weasleys’ lounge room fire.

“Hello!” He called out, not that there was much point seeing as they were all still sitting there.

“Oh, hello Harry. Good to have you back so soon,” George called out from his spot in the
corner with Alicia.

“Ha. Ha,” he said sarcastically. “Actually, I left my bag here. I was wondering if one of you guys could bring it along tomorrow.”

“Sure Harry,” said Bill.

“Alright then, now it really is goodbye. Oh, and I’ll meet you in the office at Hogwarts at nine o’clock.”

With that he pulled himself back to his home and stood up, where upon he went over and sat down at the desk.

Pulling out a fresh piece of parchment, he started writing.
Dear Minerva, Tomorrow, as part of my plans for rebuilding, I’m going to come and look through some of the scrolls from Dumbledore’s old office. I’m also bringing Hermione, Ginny, Ron, Bill and two of Bill’s colleagues, Ruth and Michael. Bill, Ruth and Michael are going to be looking around the damaged areas to see if they can crack anything. We’ll be there at around nine o’clock.
I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Harry.


Putting it in an envelope, he gave the note to the rented post owl, who promptly flew out the open window.

He then changed into his pyjamas and went to bed.

The next morning Harry woke up early, lazed around for an hour and then went to the castle.

When he got there he found everyone waiting for him in the office.

“Hello everyone,” he said brightly.

He received a scattering of hello’s and hey’s, before going over to Ginny and giving her a special good morning.

He put his arms around her waist and gave her a kiss, like he usually did whenever he saw her, before stepping back and addressing everyone else.

“Alright. This will be our base. This is where we will meet together at the end of day. Clear? Today we’re going to get a lot of work. Hermione, Ginny and Ron are going to start on the scrolls, while I take Bill, Ruth and Michael around the school to the main places of damage. After I’ve taken them around the school, they will start work however they need to and I will go and speak to Minerva. After my meeting I’m going to come round and check on everything, if I’ve got any spare time I’ll come and help Ron, Hermione and Ginny. Any questions?” Harry waited, and then, finding that there was none, said “Okay then, off you go.”

Just then Hermione rushed forward. “Hang on everyone! I’ve got one thing. I’ve got some mirrors for us to communicate with. When you want to speak to a certain person, you say their name into the mirror and wait for them to answer before having a conversation with them. If someone is trying to contact you, it will become hot, so keeping them in your pocket is a good idea. If you want to speak to everyone, say all to it and wait for everyone to answer. Got it? Okay. Get one and then you can go.”

She handed them out and then started directing Ron and Ginny to their respective positions at the piles of parchment.

Harry led Bill, Ruth and Michael off to the Great Hall, where they were to begin their examination of the damage.

When they reached the Great Hall, instead of looking around it, Bill immediately set them to work.

“Okay, Ruth, I want you to work in here. See if you can work out how to repair those walls.
Make sure you call Harry or me if you don’t understand anything,” he said and she walked over the far wall and began to observe it.

They then went out to the outside of the Astronomy Tower. Like the last time, Bill set Michael to work.

Then it was just Harry and Bill.

“Okay, so seeing as you’ve set yourself the task of surrounding walls, I guess you better start,” Harry said as they walked along the wall near the forest. “It’s mainly only this side that needs fixing; they really didn’t touch the other side.”

“Righto then. I’ll call you if I find anything.”

Harry left Bill and walked back inside to Professor McGonagall’s office. He knocked, and upon hearing the words ‘come in’ he entered.

“Ah, Mr Potter, nice to see you.”

“Good to see you too, Minerva.”

“What are you here about?”

“Well, I wanted to ask about whether or not my ‘personal touch’ to the castle would be okay.”

“Yes? What is it?”

“Well, I was thinking of adding a Duelling Room, for students in Defence against the Dark Arts to practise in. What do you think?”

“I think it is a brilliant idea.”

“Great. That’s all.” He turned to leave.

“Oh, I forgot to mention too, the students have put in a request for an ice skating rink to be added as part of the rebuilding. Needless to say, I heartily disapprove.”

“Don’t worry, I agree. I can see an awful lot of things happening with an ice skating rink. You can inform them that they will not be receiving one.”

“Good. You can now go.”

Harry walked out the door and began walking to the main office. When he was just outside, he felt the mirror heat up in his pocket. Taking it out of his pocket, he put it up in front of his face and said,

“Hello.”

“Hi, it’s Bill. I’m where you left me earlier, and I seem to have stumbled across a kind of a pattern in the bricks that are still remaining.”

“Right. I’m coming now.”

With that, he sped out to the wall where Bill was working.

“Hello Harry,” Bill said as he approached.

“Hey. What’s this pattern you’ve got for me?”

“Well, it’s sort of a long, short, long, short, but it’s got another pattern running across it. Each brick has a pattern of carvings in it. Each of them has a pattern of a rectangle, an oval and a diamond engraved into them. There are six patterns of them.”

“What patterns would they be?”

“Well, the obvious ones really; Rectangle, Oval, Diamond; Rectangle, Diamond, Oval; Oval, Diamond, Rectangle; Oval, Rectangle, Diamond; Diamond, Oval, Rectangle and Diamond, Rectangle, Oval. They didn’t exactly want to make it easy to rebuild. I think the pattern in the all has to go in that same as order as I just told you.”

“No, I can see that. How do you propose to go about fixing it?”

“I think we should sort them out according to whether they are short or long and what pattern they have, then build them up.”

“Oh, brilliant. That’s going to take some time, isn’t it?”

“Yup. If we’re lucky it’ll take the rest of the day to sort them and then another two days at the very least to put the blocks into place.”

“Great. Seeing as I want to get this job over and done with quickly, I’ll save you some time.”

With that, Harry pulled out the Elder wand and waved it roughly over the spread of the fallen stones. Within seconds the blocks started to move as if they were feather light, rather than half-tonne blocks of stone.

Bill looked in amazement.

“How did you do that? It usually takes two wizards to lift a piece of stone like that.”

“I know it does. It’s the wand. I’ll explain it to you one day.”

“Right.”

With that, Harry walked off to their base.

When he got there, he found a very excited Hermione.

When she noticed him, she suddenly jumped up and ran over to him.

“Harry! Harry! I’ve found some building plans!”

“Brilliant! What are they of?”

“They’re just of the common rooms at the moment, I’m still working through.”

“Good. Get Ron and Ginny onto this pile too. I want these answers as soon as possible.”

“Absolutely,” she answered. With that, Ron and Ginny moved over to Hermione’s pile and
started reading.

“I’m going to go and see how Ruth and Michael are going.”

Harry walked back out of the office and began walking to the Great Hall, when suddenly he
felt his pocket warm up. He pulled the mirror out and answered it.

“Hello.”

“Hi. It’s Michael,” the person on the other end said. “Can you come out here? I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall, so to speak.”

“Sure. I’ll be out there as soon as I can.”

With that, Harry turned on his heel and went out into the grounds.

When he reached the Astronomy Tower, Michael was standing there, looking extremely perplexed.

“So, what is it? What is this ‘brick wall’ you seem to have hit?”

“Well, it would seem that every single charm on this tower is solid. Nothing will budge the stone and nothing will break through the enchantments. What do you think I should do?”Michael said, confused.

“Do you want the short answer, or the long answer?”

“Erm... I don’t mind.”

“Well, I give you both then.”

“What are they?!”

“Well, the answer is I don’t have a clue.”

“Great.”

Just then Harry’s leg warmed up.

“Jeez! Does this thing ever stop?!”

Again, he pulled it out and answered it. It was Hermione.

“HARRY! I’ve got some excellent news! I’ve found the plans for the Astronomy Tower!”

Harry looked at Michael. They both seemed to be thinking the same way.

“Great. Michael and I will be there in a flash.”

Michael and Harry then dashed off to base, all bewildered thoughts far behind them.

When they got there, Hermione had about five pages set up over the main desk.

As they entered, she waved them over and called Ron and Ginny over too.

The grouped around her and she started explaining.

“See this?” she said, and pointed to a castle. “This is the Astronomy Tower. Now see this?”
she pointed to a full circle. “This is the moon. These lines between the moon and the tower are light I think.”

“So... what’s the significance of this?” Harry questioned.

“Well, I’m not sure; I just know it’s significant.”

“Well,” interjected Michael. “I know of one thing I was taught by an old wizard over in Cairo. He told me about some ancient magic called Corfyu. It was an ancient form of protection magic, only ever cast over pharaoh’s house, because of the difficulty of it. It required two wands, one was a most powerful wand of which only one existed and it was known as the Wand of Ynitsed. It is thought that Ynitsed was an ancient place or temple, but no one has ever been sure. Anyway, it required the Wand of Ynitsed and the caster’s wand. The normal wand was pointed at the place for the light to be guided, and then the other wand was pointed at the moon, where a spell was cried, I believe it was something like rutilus lux lucis, which are the Latin words for shining light. The wand was then dragged through the air until the wand tips met. The light would then engulf whatever it was to be protected.”

“What has that got to do with this?” Ron asked, speaking for the first time.

“A lot actually. It’s also a fixing spell. If something protected by this light did somehow get damaged, if the spell was cast again it would fix it. I’m not sure how it fixed it; that was about the only thing the man didn’t tell me. The problem is, we can’t cast the spell if we don’t have the wand.”

Just then, a look of realisation dawned on Ginny’s face.

“You know what Ynitsed is?” she said, a wide smile forming on her face.

There was a scattering of no’s.

“It’s destiny. Ynitsed is destiny. It’s spelled backwards. So that means the Wand of Destiny.
Guess what that means Harry?”

“We’ve got the wand?”

“Precisely.”

“What?” Michael spluttered. “That’s impossible. The Wand of Ynitsed, or the Wand of Destiny, disappeared long ago.”

“It did, but it came back. I think I’d better explain something to you, Ruth and Bill soon. I’ve
already told Ginny,” Harry confessed.

“Right then.” Michael said in understanding. “I meant to mention too. This can only be performed on the full moon.”

“When’s the next full moon?” Harry asked glumly.

“I hate to tell you this Harry,” Ron answered. “But it’s...” he trailed off.

“When?” Harry asked him sternly.

“Well, it’s... it’s tonight,” he spluttered out.

“WHAT!”

“’Fraid so,” agreed Ginny.

“Great. So I have to perform this complex spell that I’d never heard of before until just now tonight?!”

It was easy to see he was getting more and more stressed out as every second ticked by. It was obvious Ginny could see this because she moved around the table to Harry, and, without caring who was looking, or in Ron’s case, staring, she kissed him. It was easy to see that she had a calming effect on him in whatever way, for he immediately relaxed. Ron clearly must have thought he’d seen enough, for then he called out to them,

“Oi! You two. You need to come up for air some time you know.”

Blushing, they let each other go, and rubbing his chest, Ginny reminded Harry not to get so worked up. She then went back to her position on the other side of the table.

“I guess I’m going to have to do this, because I don’t want to have to wait another entire month.”

“Now that we’ve sorted that out, we had better get back to work,” Harry instructed. “Michael, if you like you can go and help Ruth, I think Bill has his figured out, it’s just a case of putting it back together.”

Just then, as was typical, Harry’s mirror went off.

“Really doesn’t stop, does it?” remarked Michael.

“Nope,” he replied before answering his mirror.

Seeing Bill’s face in the screen, he greeted him with a smile.

“Hey Bill! What seems to be the problem?”

“We seem to have another problem. There are markings here that Ruth and I can’t make head nor tail of.”

“What do you mean you and Ruth?”

“Oh, seeing as I had mine sorted out, with men starting on it, I thought I’d come in and help her along.”

“Oh okay then. Michael and I will be right over.”

They left the room and advanced over to the Great Hall.

When they reached then, Bill pointed out a symbol. It was a triangle with a vertical line and
a circle inside it. Bill then led them over to another symbol that was exactly the same.

“You know what this sign is?”

They all responded with a no.

“It’s the sign of the Deathly Hallows.”

As Harry had expected, they wanted to know what they were.

“I guess I’d better explain this all to you then.”

“Good. It’s about time you explained all this,” commented Michael.

“Good. Now, don’t interrupt me. I‘ll tell the story and then you can question me at the end.
The Deathly Hallows are three objects, a wand, a stone and a cloak. Have any of you every heard the story about the three men in The Tales of Beedle the Bard?”

They all nodded.

“Good, that makes it easier for me. Well, those three objects are real. The Invisibility Cloak, the Resurrection Stone and the Elder Wand. The Elder wand is the Wand of Ynitsed, the Invisibility Cloak is the Invisibility Cloak I’ve had since my first year and the Resurrection Stone was put into a ring and then later on made into a Horcrux.”

Ruth gasped at that. She must have known what a Horcrux was.

“I’ll explain later. It’s another story all in itself. Well, when these three objects are possessed by the one person, and they have accepted death, they are considered the Master of Death. I am considered a Master of Death because of that Last Battle. The sign of the Deathly Hallows is that sign that is popping up here. That’s basically it. I’ll give you all the details about Voldemort and Grindelwald when I tell you that Horcrux story. Now, have you got any questions?”

When none of them stirred, Harry took that as a no.

“If I am to take that as I no, I guess we had better get back to work.”
Harry went back over to the carvings on the bottom layer of stone, which was the only layer still there, besides a row up the top.

Speaking to all them, he said,

“I think that seeing as we have two of the same markings here, there’s probably another one up the top.”

Looking puzzled Bill asked, “Well how is one of us going to get up there?”

Thinking for a minute, Harry replied, “Brooms. I’ll go up there on a broom and check the underside of the central ones for the marking.”

With that, Harry took off to Professor McGonagall’s office.

“Minerva,” he said after she let him in, “I was wondering if I could borrow one of the school brooms to go up to some of the higher brickwork in the Great Hall?”

Looking up at him, she answered, “No, you cannot.”

He looked crestfallen.

“I cannot allow you to go up that high on unreliable old school brooms. Instead, you will go on mine. I don’t use it very often, but it’s fairly reliable.”

His faced changed to looking shocked in about a quarter of a second as she went over to a cupboard and pulled out a Cleansweep Seven.

“Th... thanks Professor. I don’t know what to say.”

“So don’t say anything. The only thanks I need is for you to fix this castle. Now off with you.”
With a last stutter of thanks, he sped out the door with the broom.

He slowed down when he reached Bill, Michael and Ruth; he rushed out an explanation of what had just happened and then took off.

“Oi! Where’s the fire?!,” Bill yelled to him as he rose.

“Nowhere!,” he yelled back. “I’m just looking forward to having a part of this castle fixed!”

Bill nodded to him before he rose higher and higher and then ducked under the
brick work. After a couple of minutes of looking, he found it. Harry could see a marking that was it. He marked the stone with a bright cross and lowered himself back down to the ground.

“There it is,” he said to them and pointed to the blue mark he had made. “I’ve got to go and return this,” he said, motioning to the broom. Zooming out of the room, he returned the broom and then came back.

“Now that we’ve got the symbols, I suggest we join them together with the Elder Wand.” Bill proposed.

When everyone agreed, he put his mirror to his mouth and called Ginny. When she
responded, he told her to get come down the Great Hall and to bring Ron and Hermione with her. After they arrived and Harry had explained what was happening, everyone but Harry moved back and he pulled out the wand.

First he shot a jet of blue light at the top point, then, as if the light were a string, pulled it down to the left corner and then across to the right corner. He then disconnected it. He was about to draw a circle when the light glowed luminous orange against the dark of the night outside. He moved back. Then, an astonishing thing happened. All of the rubble lying on the ground outside joined back into blocks and those blocks pulled themselves into position and cemented themselves together. The walls then all glowed bright orange and they seemed to knit themselves together. After this happened, the entire Deathly Hallow sign shimmered luminously before all radiance around the room subsided and went back to it normal sandy colour. It was as though nothing had ever happened and the bricks had been put in by hand. It was amazing what had happened in five minutes.

Harry turned and walked back to the rest of the group.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he commented.

There was a scattering of me neither’s before Hermione spoke.

“I have,” she said in a hushed tone. She seemed to be in shock after seeing something like that. “I Diagon Alley. The wall. When it shuts behind you after you go in. It does a similar sort of thing, except the bricks move across, not up.”

Everyone nodded in agreement before an awkward silence started.

After about a minute of staring, Michael began talking about the tower.

“I think we should do this at midnight, when it’s pitch dark. Then we’ll fix it. Until then we should go back to our centre and have a bit of a sleep and a chat before we go out again.”

Harry replied positively to Michael’s idea.

“Sounds brilliant. I think I’m going to need lots of energy if I’m to fix this.”

With that they walked out of the Great Hall together towards Dumbledore’s office where they
rested and talked for a few hours.

At a quarter to midnight, the headed out to the Tower.

“Okay, so Harry you know what to do, don’t you? When the bell tolls midnight, point your normal wand at the top spire of the tower and the Elder wand at the moon. Then, say Rutilus Lux Lucis and drag you wand slowly toward the other tip. When they touch, stop, and everything else will fall into place,” Michael reminded Harry.

Sounding slightly bored, Harry answered back saying, “I know, I know. We’ve been over it a hundred times now.”

Michael looked amused at this comment.

When the bell tolled, Harry did what he what supposed to. He dragged the light of the moon on the wand, which felt like a dead-weight, across to the other tip, and then let the spell do the rest of the work.

As soon as the wands touched, the tower lit up with a blinding white light from spire to base, forcing everyone around Harry to shield their eyes. It suddenly rebuilt itself, conjuring old stone from thin air and gluing them together. It vanished the rubble, and then, slowing, the
intense light dimmed, but still glowed, where it would forever.

A month later, after all of the other repairs had been finished, including the wall which had been rebuilt by hand, the official ‘Re-opening Ceremony,’ as it had been dubbed, was underway. There had been speeches and presentations, and of course, the Duelling Room of Harry’s creation had been tried out, and now it was the time for Professor McGonagall to cut the ribbon which officially opened the memorial. Everyone was gathered around the Astronomy Tower, where a shield charm to stop people seeing it had been put up and a red ribbon was tied across it, which, when cut, would break the charm.

Everyone held their breath as the professor cut the fabric. They all seemed be expecting something extravagant and large. Instead, when the shield charm broke, all they could see was a dazzling blue pond with an unbroken surface, edged with stone. Around the edge there was the names of all those who had died to the hands of the Dark Side during the war, and then, on one stone, there was a message Harry had chosen that read,

This memorial is to honour those who died in the Second War. It is for Professor Dumbledore, who found against them until the very end, and for Professor Snape, who was the bravest person anyone could ever meet. In honour of these men, and the countless others who died, remember. Always remember.

No-one except Harry and the main builder had seen this. The shocked and sad looks on everyone’s faces all told him the same story. They hadn’t expected something as simple as this to be as powerful as it was.

When Hermione found him and questioned him as to this design, he simply replied,

“Why have something fancy and extravagant for the people who were least like that?”

Hermione smiled. It really was like Dumbledore.

As she turned away Harry looked at everyone’s expressions, and seeing what could happen with the simplest of things, he beamed. It was exactly as he had wanted it.
Reviews 3
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear