Search:

SIYE Time:16:06 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


I Don't Get Along Without You Very Well
By faded memories

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: Harry's break up with Ginny - Post-DH from Ginny's POV. Set to "I Get Along Without You Very Well" by Diana Krall.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5507



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I know I'm not really into songfics, but I just had to write this one....




ChapterPrinter


I get along without you very well
Of course, I do
Except when soft rains fall
And drip from leaves then I recall
The thrill of being sheltered
In your arms
Of course, I do
But I get along without you very well


“Ginny, these last few days have been, well… heaven, but if stay with you, Voldemort will make you a target. I mean, in my second year, he made you a target, and that was just because you were Ron’s little sister! Imagine if he knew about… us.”

I heard Harry’s words, but the message didn't sink in until Harry kissed my cheek, go up, and left. Inadvertently, my hand moved to my cheek, touching the spot Harry’s lips had just left. It was then that the meaning of his words sank in, and I began to cry. Harry glanced back, so I stopped crying and gave him a weak smile.

“I’m fine, Harry,” I said, trying not to hiccup. I did not want Harry to see me cry. I wanted him to think I was strong and that I could live through this, unaffected. Stiffly, I walked over to Dumbledore’s grave and knelt there.

I stayed by Dumbledore’s grave, even when the rain started to pour. People rushed past me, trying to get to the warmth and safety of the castle. After about half an hour, I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I didn't dare to look up; for fear that it might be Harry’s hand. “Gin, are you okay?” came Harry’s rough voice. I swatted his hand away and moved over a few inches.

“I’m fine,” I said hotly. “I’m getting along fine without you. I don’t need the Boy-Who-Lived to take care of me!”

I waited until I heard his steps fade before letting my tears fall again. I was forcibly reminded of the time Harry and I had gone out for a walk and gotten lost. We were in the immense garden by the lake, and the clouds forming made it hard to see. We were almost out of the garden when the rain started to fall. Harry covered our heads with his cloak, and we proceeded out of the garden together. We pointed out the beauty of the rain falling in patterns off the leaves of trees in the gardens, and we shared a particularly lovely kiss by a rosebush.

I've forgotten you
Just like I said I would
Of course, I have
Or maybe except when I hear your name
Someone's laugh that's just the same
I've forgotten you just like
I should


I didn't see Harry much, and I banished all thoughts of him from my mind. It wasn’t very hard, because my mother stopped subscribing to the Daily Prophet. All the Daily Prophet would write was trash about Harry. I was pulled from school, and no one in my family ever talked about Harry. Still, when I heard the name ‘Harry’ as I walked through the Muggle village near my house, I tensed, waiting for my raven-haired, green-eyed, ruggedly handsome saviour to come around the corner, grinning.

There was a boy in the Muggle village whose laugh reminded me of Harry’s. Every time I heard his laugh, I would look over at him. He would always look back and smile. Sometimes, I smiled back before I remembered that it wasn’t Harry I was smiling at; that it wasn’t Harry I was flirting with.

What a guy
What a fool am I
To think my aching heart
Could keep the moon
What's in store
Should I phone once more
No, no, no, no, no
It's best that I stick to my tune


Several times, I picked up my quill and set it to a piece of parchment.

Dear Harry, (I wrote)

I know I shouldn’t be writing to you, but I just wanted to say that I love miss am worried about you. Please give my love to Ron and say hello to Hermione for me.

Love Sincerely Cordially Your friend,

Ginny

These letters always ended up in my rubbish bin.

After writing these letters, I always retired to my armchair and cried for several hours. My family knew not to disturb me while I was crying, because I sent a very powerful Bat-Bogey Hex at whoever disturbed me. Most of my family had received my hex before they learned to leave me alone.

Sometimes, I regretted sending hexes at my family, but it was only for a minute. They should have known better than to embarrass me by noticing my weak spot for Harry.

Every day, I waited for news of Harry, but none came.

I said that I get along
Without you very well
Of course, I do
Except perhaps in spring
But then I should never
Ever think of spring
For that would
Surely break my heart in two


The one-year anniversary of Dumbledore’s death began without a cloud in the sky. I walked over to a little grove by the pond in my yard. I picked flowers and I cut twigs. I wove a wreath using the flowers and I placed it around a large stone. Using my wand, I carved the words, “In memory of Albus Dumbledore” into the rock. I sat there for a while, just remembering one of my favourite childhood heroes.

The day Harry broke up with me came to my attention, and I began to weep. As my tears fell onto Dumbledore’s memorial, I felt a comforting presence holding me, and I gave a watery smile. “Thanks, Professor,” I whispered, and wrapped my arms around my body, trying to savour Dumbledore’s spirit’s comforting presence.

I cried some more, trying to come to terms with the idea of Dumbledore’s death and Harry’s breaking up with me. The crying helped a lot, and by the time Mum found me, I was feeling happier than I had in a year.

If Mum noticed my red and swollen face, she didn't say anything about it. Instead, she informed me that she was going to Hogwarts to fight Voldemort. “Under no circumstances are you to leave the Burrow. Do you understand?”

I barely heard Mum’s words because the contents of my left pocket began to heat up. I rummaged around in my pocket until if found the source of the heat. It was a Galleon from the days of the D.A. On the side of the Galleon was the message, “Hog’s Head Bar. Fight Voldemort.” I stood up and walked towards the house.

“Ginevra Molly Weasley! Get back here now!” Mum screeched.

I paid no attention to her. Instead, I stepped into the kitchen fireplace and shouted, “Hog’s Head Bar!” I was whisked away by a puff of green flames. My mother followed me, and continued to lecture me as I climbed into a tunnel behind a portrait of a young woman.

I emerged in a room full of bunk beds. There was a crowd gathered around something I couldn’t see. As people noticed me, however, the crowd slowly parted to reveal Harry Potter. I smiled at him before I remembered I wasn’t with him anymore. Hastily, I turned to the hole to see who else came through. My mouth fell open. It was Cho Chang, Harry’s ex girlfriend.

After everything settled down, talks of a plan started. Harry hastily changed the subject to something called a diadem. Cho offered to show Harry the bust of Rowena Ravenclaw wearing a diadem, but I volunteered Luna instead. As soon as Harry left my mother rounded on me, trying to get me to leave. I protested, and Mum relented, but only halfway. She agreed to let me stay in the Room of Requirement. I protested, but I stopped when Mum threatened me with the prospect of being forced back to the Burrow. I stayed there, seething.

I get along without you very well
Of course, I do
Except when soft rains fall
And drip from leaves then I recall
The thrill of being sheltered
In your arms
Of course, I do
But I get along without you very well


Harry Potter was dead. He had been hit with the Killing Curse in the Forbidden Forest. Voldemort made Hagrid carry the body back to the castle. Harry’s limp, lifeless form lay on the ground in front of me. I moved forward, but Hermione held me back. Voldemort began to speak, but I couldn’t hear his words over the ringing of my ears. I shivered, needing to feel the warmth of Harry’s arms once more, but I felt nothing, not even a ghost.

“Have you left me, Harry?” I murmured.

I looked for Harry’s body, but my efforts were in vain. His body seemed to have vanished. Frantically, I pushed people aside, trying to catch a glimpse of black hair and round glasses.

I missed the struggle between Neville and the Sorting Hat, because I was so wrapped up in the search for Harry’s body. I became aware of my surroundings only when curses began to fly. I was swept into the castle with the crowd, despite my effort to stay behind.

I was drawn into a battle with Bellatrix Lestrange. She almost killed me, but Mum hit her in the chest with a curse. After a few minutes of staring at Bellatrix’s body, I rejoined the fight only to be stopped by Harry’s sudden appearance.

He said something about and elder wand, and then sent a hex at Voldemort. At the same time, Voldemort sent a Killing Curse at him. Voldemort’s wand backfired, and he died. Pandemonium broke out. There were chants of, “The-Boy-Who-Lived!” going around, but I didn't join in. I just looked at Harry. Our eyes locked for a moment, and he gave a brief smile before disappearing.

I said that I get along
Without you very well
Of course, I do
Except perhaps in spring
But then I should never
Ever think of spring
For that would
Surely break my heart in two


A few days later found me staring at the fire in the Gryffindor Common Room. I thought I was alone, but someone put a hand on my shoulder. Somehow, I knew it was Harry.

“Ginny,” Harry said. “How are you?” His voice was husky, as if he had just been crying.

“I’m fine,” I said sarcastically. “Why shouldn’t I be? My ex-boyfriend just up and died, then rose from the dead without letting me know, or even coming over to say hi.”

Harry's hand left my shoulder, and he walked around to sit by me on the couch. He took my hands in his. “Ginny, I would have told you I wasn’t dead, but…” His voice trailed off, and a tear slid slowly down his cheek.

“You never wrote.” I said quietly. “I didn't know if you were dead or alive. I didn't know anything.” A tear rolled down my cheek. “You could have been tortured to insanity, or-” Harry cut me off with a soft and gentle kiss.

I said that I get along
Without you very well
Of course, I do
Except perhaps in spring
But then I should never
Ever think of spring
For that would
Surely break my heart in two
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear