Search:

SIYE Time:13:42 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Straight on 'til Morning
By Red Rose

- Text Size +

Category: Peter Pan Challenge (2007-4)
Characters:None
Genres: General
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: Ginny falls asleep in the room of requirement after reading her favourite children's story, and dreams of a marvelous land, a trouped of red-headed boys, and her green-eyed (and apparently leaf-wearing) boyfriend.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3285



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work. And... I took real lines straight out of the masterpiece Peter Pan by the genius J.M Barrie, so please just note that so I don't get sued for plagarism. I'm not going to mark the lines, but you can do it for me if you feel like going back through the text. :-)



Author's Notes:
Let's get one thing straight before you even read this.
I know this story is weird. It's because it's a dream. I did it this way on purpose. Please don't complain to me about how you think this part is weird or odd or it shouldn't be there. Ask why it is there. Just a simple rephrasing of words. Complaints are ignored. Questions are welcome.




ChapterPrinter




Ginny needed to get away. Too much studying, too much babbling, and Harry was in detention with Snape. Great. Just great.

She walked past the stretch of wall next to the tapestry of the idiot man trying to teach trolls to do the ballet.

She walked past the wall thinking I need a quiet place to study and relax. She found the door in front of her, and walked in.

The room had supplied her with a large, comfortable couch and a nice table. She put down her Astronomy book and sat on the couch.

It was just as comfortable as it looked. She brought her legs up and folded them beneath her, and laid the book on her lap.

...The star Alpha Centauri, which is closest to Earth, but...

The book was dreadfully boring. She has studied so much in the last few days.

I wish I could have one of my favourite books instead of this rubbish, she thought.

And suddenly, there was a book lying on the table. It was Peter Pan, a Muggle story of fairies and magic. It was very good, and surprisingly accurate with fairies.

She put her Astronomy book down, and picked up Peter Pan.

All children, except one, grow up...

She did remember loving this story. She understood it to be one of the most popular Muggle fairy tales. She read on and on.

This was true; Peter had forgotten to show them how to stop...

Her eyes began to droop. She thought of flying through the stars, them winking at her in the night. Maybe with Harry...

Her eyes closed. She fell into a deep sleep, thinking of Peter Pan...

***

Ginny was sitting on a bed in a nursery. Looking to the side of her, she saw Colin Creevey, who seemed to be ten years old, and his brother, Dennis, who seemed to be even younger. They were running around the room and shrieking. She didn’t know how she knew they were Colin and Dennis, because both of them had brown hair, but she did. She also felt like she was much younger, maybe about twelve. She was wearing a white nightdress.

“Don’t, John, don’t,” screamed Dennis, who was apparently talking to Colin.

“Aarrgh, ye’ll walk the plank fer that, young Michael,” said Colin, who was speaking in a low growl.

Colin, or John, tackled Dennis, or Michael, and both of them fell to the ground.

A large, shaggy dog came in and started barking at them. Immediately, John and Michael got up and stood straight with guilty looks on their faces.

“Sorry, Nana,” said John.

“But Wendy was telling us a pirate story,” complained Michael, pointing at Ginny, who suddenly realized she was standing.

“I was telling them about Captain Hook,” she said.

“Arf!” said Nana.

“We won’t do it again!”

“Don’t tell Mother!”

Suddenly a beautiful woman with red hair and bright green eyes came in. She was wearing a fancy blue dress and high heels.

“What’s going on, Nana?” she asked, leaning down to pet the dog. Nana barked and the woman straightened up again.

“A woman should always know plenty of stories, Wendy,” said the woman, a slow smile creeping across her face. She seemed to know what would happen in Wendy’s future.

“Your father and I are going out tonight, so don’t stay up too late, or Nana will tell us. Wendy, I would like to speak with you,” she said.

Wendy followed her out of the room into a different room, in which there was a man with messy black hair and glasses, who was wearing a frock coat and a top hat.

“Wendy, take care of your brothers tonight,” the man said at once. “And if you see anyone besides your brothers, give them this.” He held out a sword. It looked somewhat like the sword in Dumbledore’s office.

“Thank you, father,” she said. “I hope you have fun.”

“We won’t,” said father.

At that, both of them left the room.

Wendy retreated back to the nursery, in which the boys were still playing pirates. Nana barked and cocked her head to the window.

“Oh, Nana, just five more minutes?” said Wendy.

Nana barked and growled, turning towards their beds.

“Oh, fine,” said Michael. He climbed into his tiny bed and tucked himself under the bedclothes. John and Wendy followed suit.

“Goodnight,” said Nana. She went and flipped the light switch, but the lights didn’t turn off.

Wendy listened to the steady breathing of John and Michael as they drifted off to sleep. She was still wide-awake. Why had her parents given her a sword? Was it just some sort of symbol of growing up?

Suddenly, something odd happened. Wendy heard a noise at the window. She abruptly sat up in her bed and looked towards the window.

It was one of the oddest sights she had ever seen. It was a boy, and he was wearing an outfit which seemed to be made of skeleton leaves and twigs. He had messy black hair and bright green eyes. He was walking around the room very quietly. He seemed to be looking for something. And, quick as a flash, Wendy saw a bright green light, and heard the tinkling of a bell.

The didn’t seem to notice that there was a girl sitting up in her bed. He just opened the toy chest, and took out what looked like a dark cloth. He turned around and suddenly noticed Wendy.

“What are you taking from us?” she asked.

“I’m taking nothing from you,” he said defiantly. “I’m taking something back.”

“What?”

“My shadow.” He held up the black cloth-like thing.

“How did you lose it?” asked Wendy. She was very interested in this stranger.

“Well, I was standing at the window, listening to stories, and then you looked at the window so I had fly away real quick! But my shadow was left behind,” he said, looking very unhappy.

“Why was it in the toy chest?”

“Why wasn’t it in the toy chest?”

“How will you put it on?”

“It will just go on.”

“Shouldn’t it be sewn?”

“What is ‘sewn?’”

“Good point,” said Wendy. She paused for a moment. “What is your name, boy?”

“Peter Pan. What is your name, er, girl?” he asked.

“Wendy Moira Angela Darling,” she said. “You have a very short name.”

“Thank you,” he said, looking proud and puffing out his chest.

“Where do you come from?” Wendy inquired.

“The Neverland,” he said simply.

“The Neverland?”

“Second star to the right, and straight on ‘til morning,” he said, pointing out the window.

“What an odd address,” she said. “Is that what they write on the letters?”

“Don’t get letters.”

“But surely your mother gets letters.”

“Don’t have a mother.”

“Oh, that is sad!”

“No, it’s not!” said Peter. “I don’t have a mother, and I don’t want to!”

“Oh.”

“Do you tell stories a lot?” Peter asked, looking very interested.

“Well, yes,” Wendy answered. “It is a woman’s job to know plenty of stories.”

Suddenly, Wendy heard the tinkling of the bell again. It seemed very fast and angry.

“You needn’t say that,” said Peter.

“Who needn’t say what?” Wendy asked.

Peter pointed to the bright, green light.

“What is that?”

“She is my fairy, Tinker Bell.”

“How do you hear her?”

“The fairy language is like the tinkling of a bell. I speak it.”

“What did she say?

“Well, she says it is not a woman’s job to do anything.”

“I suppose you could look at it like that,” Wendy said to Tinker Bell, trying to be nice. “I do wish she would let me see her. I would love to have a fairy.”

Tinker Bell spoke again; she seemed to be yelling.

“That is very rude,” Peter said. “She is not the nicest of fairies. She merely mends pots and pans.”

“That is unhappy,” said Wendy. “You don’t have a nice female companion.” Tinker Bell seemed pretty angry at that.

“Come back with me,” said Peter all of a sudden.

“Well, I don’t know,” said Wendy, who was shocked. “There is so much to consider. Mother will be oh so unhappy.”

“No she won’t,” Peter said loudly. “She gave that sword, didn’t she? To kill pirates with!”

“I rather don’t think she knew I would have the chance,” she said. Wendy took the sword out of her pocket (though she couldn’t remember how it had got there) and examined it. It looked like a tool with which she could kill pirates.

“I guess we could go,” she said. “But only if we bring John, and Michael too.”

“I’ll wake them up!” said Peter, looking excited. He took out a whistle, into which he blew hard. The whistle made no sound, but it seemed to rouse John and Michael.

“What was that sound?” asked Michael.

“There is a boy here, Michael. He is to take us to the Neverland,” said Wendy. “How will we get there?” she asked, turning to Peter.

“We’ll fly, of course,” said Peter.

“I knew that,” said John, who always wanted to be smart. “But I say, how do we fly?”

“Oh, I don’t know...you just sort of...fly!” said Peter, as he rose into the air. Wendy looked down, and noticed that she was up in the air, too.

“I say, how did that happen?” asked John.

“I flewed!” yelled Michael, who looked utterly delighted.

“Shall we go?” asked Peter.

“I don’t know...” said Wendy. “What about Mother?”

“She’ll survive,” said Peter huffily. “Mothers don’t care.”

“If you say so,” said Wendy, not knowing quite why she believed Peter.

They flew out the window into the stars. Immediately, Wendy saw Jupiter, Mars, and Earth from very far away. She also saw a glittering star that she knew to be Alpha Centauri, though she didn’t know how she knew it.

“Look down,” Peter cried out.

Wow, that was fast, Wendy thought, but she nevertheless looked down. She saw a lovely island, full of amazing things, like Indian camps, and lovely lagoons, and a large pirate ship, anchored by the shore.

“I say, are those real pirates, Peter?” asked John.

“Well, of course, silly,” said Peter. “There’s the meanest of them all, Captain Hook!”

Captain Hook. He had greasy black hair, and a long, hook nose. He looked exactly like Professor Snape. He was wearing a long red coat with a ruffle around the neck, and a large red hat with a feather sticking out. The worst feature of all was the iron claw that was in place of his right hand. It looked as though it had torn many people in his time.

“He’s also the ugliest,” said Peter with a sneer.

“Smee, did you call me ugly?” asked Captain Hook, pointing his long hook at a watery-eyed, rat like man.

“N-no, sir, you are not ugly, you are the handsomest of them all,” said Smee.

“Good,” he said.

“I think they can hear us,” said Michael.

“What was that,” said Hook. Michael seemed to be right.

“Let’s go,” whispered Peter.

“To where?” asked Wendy, again in a whisper.

“To the Lost Boys,” said Peter, quite forgetting to whisper.

“What was that,” roared Hook in anger.

“Fly!” said Peter.

And so they flew. They flew over the rest of the Neverland to these so-called Lost Boys.

“There!” yelled Peter. He suddenly stopped and flew down into the trees. Wendy, John, and Michael stopped, too, but they couldn’t see where Peter had gone.

“Don’t you fly away from me, Peter Pan,” yelled Wendy, hoping to get a response.

“She does sound quite like a mother, Peter, you were right,” said an unknown, laughing voice.

“We’re down here, Wendy,” he said.

“Down where?” asked Wendy. She was beginning to become frustrated.

“Just fly down, and you’ll find us,” said Peter again.

They flew down. Wendy was extremely worried. “Just fly down” might be a good direction for Peter Pan, who was so free and happy, but Wendy was like her mother, and wanted everything to be just so.

The flying down was odd. Wendy thought they would crash into the trees, but they seemed to glide through the leaves, unhindered by anything. As they landed, Wendy saw a lovely sight.

It was a house, but more just a large bedroom with all the comforts of a house in one room. There were six boys standing in the middle, looking expectant. There was a pair of twins, and all of the others boys were different shapes and sizes, yet all of them looked extremely pleasant.

“First twin,” said a red-haired boy, stepping forward, who looked like Fred...or George.

“Second twin,” said the boy’s twin, again stepping forward.

“Curly,” said a boy who looked like Bill, continuing the pattern of stepping forward.

“Slightly,” said a boy who looked like Percy.

“Nibs,” said a boy who looked like Charlie.

“And Tootles!” said a boy who looked like Ron.

“They are just lovely,” said Wendy.

“And they are yours,” said Peter.

At once, all the boys got on their knees. “Wendy-lady, be our mother!” they said in unison.

“Oh...I have decided that I shall,” said Wendy. She was enchanted by the lovely boys.

“Yay!” said Nibs. He ran over to hug Wendy.

The world seemed right.

***

“I have to go speak with the Indians,” said Peter one night. They had been with him for a long time. Days, weeks, months, or years, Wendy no longer knew. Time seemed to pass differently in the Neverland. She just knew that she was a mother.

“Wendy, I’m too big for a cradle,” moaned Michael.

“Don’t worry about it, Michael,” said Wendy. “Would all of you like to hear a story?”

“Yes, please,” shouted all of the boys.

“This is a story of mothers,” said Wendy.

“I don’t want to hear about Mothers,” said Peter, who had just reappeared. He looked angry.

“Why not Peter?” asked Wendy, turning around to look at him. “What do you have against mothers?”

“They replace you,” he said bitterly. “I once flew back to my window, after leaving, but there was another little boy sleeping in my bed.”

“Oh dear!” she cried. Wendy was so worried about that happening to her. “John, Michael!”

They came running to her. She hugged them close to her.

“Peter, I am afraid we must go,” said Wendy. It seemed like they had been there much too long.

“You shan’t go,” said Slightly.

“You may come with us,” said Wendy. “All of you.”

“That sounds great!” said Tootles. “But will you have room?”

Before Wendy could reply, there was a loud sound from overhead. It was the unmistakable sound of a battle cry. The pirates had come to attack.

“Peter, what are we to do?” shrieked Wendy. All of the Lost Boys, including John and Michael, had run over to hide behind Wendy’s nightdress.

“Just wait...the Indians are very powerful warriors,” said Peter. “They will overcome the pirates.”

“How will we know if they win?” asked Wendy.

“The tom-tom drum,” said Tootles.

“They always beat the tom-tom,” said First Twin.

“...If they win,” said Second Twin.

The battle still went on and on over them. There were terrible sounds of the last choking breaths of some, and victory shouts of others. All the while there were sounds of swords clanking against the Braves’ homemade weapons. Wendy couldn’t wait for it to be over.

And finally, the sounds of battle died out. There seemed to be a little shuffling, and then came the tell-tale beat of the tom-tom drum.

“Thank goodness,” said Wendy. She shooed the Lost Boys and her brothers up the passage. All of them went, except one.

“Peter? Aren’t you coming?”

“No, Wendy,” he said.

“But we can find you mother!”

“She won’t want me.”

“Fine, Peter, stay here,” said Wendy. “But I shan’t leave without giving you something very important.”

She drew close to Peter and gave him a short kiss on the mouth. It was not much of a special kiss, but it did make Tinker Bell very angry. As she ascended the ladder to the outside, Peter had a very dreamy look on his face.

As she got to the outside, a terrible sight met her eyes. All the children were captured by a pirate, and almost all of the Indians lay dead. She was about to yell for Peter when someone came up behind her and put a gag in her mouth. The meanest of them all came up in front of her and bowed. Wendy was shocked. He extended his arm, and she understood that she was to put her hand upon it. She thought he was very gentlemanly, but she knew that this was an act, only put on for ladies.

They seemed to reach the shore in a very short time. There was no talk among the pirates, and all of the the children’s mouths were tied with cloths so they couldn’t speak.

The Jolly Roger loomed out of the darkness. The ship was huge. It had large, white sails and a flag with the skull and crossbones on it. As they got to the ship (it was odd how they got there: they seemed to walk on water), Captain Hook graciously bowed to Wendy and handed her to another pirate, who was tattooed from head to toe. He tied her hands and put her next to the Lost Boys, John, and Michael. Wendy was terribly unhappy.

“Bring the mother forward, Starkey,” said Hook.

Wendy was shoved forward by a gentlemanly looking pirate.

“Your boys are about to walk the plank,” said Hook with a sneer.

“Are they to die?” asked Wendy, trying to be completely calm.

“Yes,” said Hook with a laugh. He seemed to love the idea. “Silence all, for mother’s last words to her children.”

“These are my last words, dear boys,” said Wendy. “I feel that I have message to you from your real mothers, and it is this: We hope our sons will die like English gentleman.”

The boys broke out into very loud applause. Hook was furious.

“Silence!” he yelled. The boys were startled into silence. “There is no one who can save you now!”

“There is one,” Tootles cried out.

“Oh really?” said Hook. “Who?”

“Peter Pan,” said Wendy.

At that, the loud cry of a rooster echoed through the gloom. Peter flew from the clouds and landed in the middle of the ship. As soon as his feet hit the ground, a loud war cry was heard, and the Indians ran onto the ship.

“Indians?” shouted Hook. “We killed them!”

“You are quite ignorant,” said Peter. “You only killed one division of their army!”

“Don’t call me ignorant,” screamed Hook. Peter and Hook began to fight.

Each of the Lost Boys seemed to have a pirate with whom they were fighting. Wendy was terrified. Michael came running towards her.

“Michael!” she cried. “Are you okay? Protect me!”

“Wendy, Wendy, I killed a pirate!” he said.

“That’s awful!”

“No...no...I like it!”

The pirates were falling quickly. They had no more defenses against the Lost Boys and the Indians.

"Hello, pretty," said a pirate who had come up behind Wendy.

She immediately turned around. Without meaning to, Wendy drew the sword her mother had given her and sliced it. It hit the unknown pirate. Blood gushed out of the wound in his stomach. He fell down. He was dead. Wendy had killed a pirate. And Michael had been right...it wasn't awful. It was...invigorating.

Soon the only pirate left was Hook.

“Put up your swords, boys,” said Peter. “This man is mine.”

“So, Pan,” said Hook. “This is all your doing.”

“Yes, James Hook,” said Peter. “This is all my doing.”

“Proud and insolent youth, prepare to meet thy doom.”

“Dark and sinister man, have at thee!”

A terrible fight ensued. Of course, there seemed to be some times during which Peter tripped up Hook without doing anything. During these times, Wendy heard the tinkling of a bell, and saw a bright, green light. At one point, it hovered right in front of her. Wendy gave it a wink.

Only cheers for Peter were heard because there were no pirates left, all of them having jumped ship of been killed.

“You are down,” cried Peter happily. He had Hook on the ground without his sword. He crowed like a rooster.

Suddenly, a crocodile came. A more terrible crocodile had not been seen by Wendy. It was the crocodile, Wendy somehow knew, that had taken Hook’s hand. It looked greedy.

“Peter Pan, won’t you save me?” whimpered Hook.

“If I had time, I would think about it,” said Peter.

Hook was devoured by the crocodile.

There was silence for a moment. The Lost Boys seemed to want to make sure it was real.

“Hook is dead!” yelled Peter.

The boys cheered. Someone had finally been conquered out of the two enemies, and thankfully, it was Hook.

“The ship is ours!” cried Tootles.

Wendy saw the boys and Indians celebrating, but her eyes sought Peter. She made her way towards him.

“You came to save us,” said Wendy.

“Tink told me,” said Peter. He looked a little embarrassed.

“Thank you.”

“No need, Wendy,” he said, looking proud.

“We will have to go home, John, Michael, and I.”

“No matter, Wendy,” said Peter. “You will always remember Neverland.”

“Is it not a figment of my imagination?” Wendy asked, sounding hopeful.

“It could have been,” said Peter. “But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t real.”

“I would like to give you something again, Peter,” she said, feeling her face grow hot.

“Is it the same thing you gave me earlier?”

“Yes.”

“Then I shall give it to you,” he said. And as he brought his face close to hers and kissed her, the image faded away until it was just black.

***

Ginny woke up with the pages of Peter Pan half-bent and her head resting upon one of the nice pillows on the couch.

So it was all a dream, she thought, sitting up and stretching. It had been a lovely dream, though. It had seemed so real yet...unreal. She had realized during it that Peter was Harry, but she hadn’t really registered it.

Ginny stood up and looked at her watch. It was two-thirty.

Harry must be out of detention by now, she thought. Ginny ran off to find him, leaving Peter Pan sitting open on the couch.

Around the book, green light flared for a moment. Ginny had seen it out of the corner of her eye. She looked back at it, trying to see if something was there. She turned around. She had been imagining things.

The green light appeared behind her back. It seemed to wink.
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear