Search:

SIYE Time:1:33 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry's Magical Trunk
By Sir Ollivander

- Text Size +

Category: Harry's Magical Trunk Challenge (2007-3)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 34
Summary: Harry starts to think of what he’s going to do about hunting down the Horcruxes after he turns 17. He and his friends have to stay somewhere away from prying eyes as they work on their secret mission. Harry thinks he’s found the answer to that one problem.
Hitcount: Story Total: 16428; Chapter Total: 4943





Author's Notes:
A/N: After many threats, a few howlers, and ‘something?” from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, I enlarged this next update to a second chapter. Don’t expect much more. I don’t work well under pressure.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Two - The Real Weasley Challenge

How often have you been in a library looking for that one book. You know the name of the book. You know the name of the author. You know the place and date it was written. You even know how libraries catalog their books. But you still can’t find it! It’s enough to earn Hermione a room next to Gilderoy Lockhart in the Janus Thickey ward of St. Mungo’s.

So, what a great place to hide a book.

Harry was thinking the same thing. But his “book” was a trunk. Where do you hide a trunk? Among other trunks, just like that library. So, where do you have other trunks?

There are a lot of trunks at Hogwarts. But they are too individualized at the foot of each student. A trunk store. A good coach and leather store where he purchased his special trunk. But that means someone could buy your trunk. So where could you put a trunk, with other trunks, where nobody would take it. It had to be known to be yours only.

So, for a week, Harry resided in his trunk in the luggage storage area in the Hogsmeade train station. The ticket on the handle, paid in advance for a week’s storage, named Philbin Fudrucker as the clamant. And Harry had the claim stub in his pocket. So nobody would be claiming his trunk in the middle of the night when he least expected it.

The first few days Harry had a dilemma of sorts. There were so many things he could do that he didn’t know what to do. Harry already put away all the supplies he purchased and stored before he left Privet Drive.

The small kitchen and pantry was stocked with everything he could think of a cook would need for a month of cooking. That included all the pots, pans and other cooking tools, silver and chinaware, and all the food and cooking ingredients. And since he did a lot of the cooking for the Dursleys, he knew what he needed in his.

All four beds were made, with new sheets, pillows, blankets, and even a duvet. The “boys” room had masculine designed linen and the “girls” room had a feminine touch to them. He wondered how a goblin would have such good taste for witch and wizard styles. But he had to admit, they chose well. The boys and girls’ arrangement might change later on. The rooms were modifiable. But for the moment, this was fine. Harry wasn’t sure if Ginny would eventually be joining them. But everything was done with four people in mind.

All of Harry’s new clothes, and all of the old hand-me-downs, were washed, mended if necessary, folded, and put away. That was fairly easy with Harry being able to do magic. Dudley's old clothes were saved in seperate storage in case of an emergency. Either as emergency clothing, ripped up as rags, or even bandages.

However, any magic done inside of the trunk was not detectable or traceable. That was one of the features he included in the trunk design.

The storage by the stairs was an important area. There were four sets of benches, lockers, and cubbyholes. Each had one wand in a wand holster, a new Firebolt with servicing kit, an invisibility cloak and a black dragonhide coat, a Muggle flashlight with extra batteries, something called a “fanny pack,” and a few other odds and ends they might need on a dangerous mission. There was also a brass sign above each locker naming Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. All the equipment was legitimate but untraceable.

All the books and study equipment were stored in the combination library and study area. Not really knowing a good way to catalog the books, Harry put them on shelves grouped by subject matter. That was something he understood. He was guaranteed Hermione would want to change things around. But for the time being, this was definitely fine for the time being.

Harry made a nook for himself in the study. He put together a comfortable lounge chair with matching ottoman, a small table, all on a small round piece of carpet, with an overhead lamp. The whole thing was tucked in a far corner where he could see the entire room and anybody who walked in through the door. It was good enough for him to relax, read one of his books, have a drink or snack within arm’s reach, and even nap out if he got tired of reading.

Day to day living became a routine.

He would first make breakfast and read the Daily Prophet. That was another feature he liked. At the Post Office in Hogsmeade, he had a mail deposit box. Anything placed in the box would magically appear in his mailbox next to the stairs when the deposit box was locked back up. Again, it was non-traceable.

After breakfast, Harry would do his physical training. Running was out of the question; the trunk couldn’t provide a big enough room. But he could lift weights, do exercises, and punch a hanging bag. Then he would shower and make himself presentable before he made himself lunch. Even though he was by himself, he made sure he didn’t turn into a slob and wear dirty clothes. The magical trunk took care of all the mechanical and hotel services a home needed, which included a fully operational loo.

The afternoon was the academic portion of the day. Reading, studying spells, doing any summer homework or revising for next year was all done in the library/study room. Planning for their upcoming mission also happened at this time. Then it was dinnertime.

The evening was for actual relaxing. Harry wrote or answered a few letters. Again, the mailbox by the stairs would send anything back to the post office to be sent out by owl. A couple of times he played chess on a magically chessboard. But even on a low game setting, he lost more than he won. He also looked through his photo albums and scrape book he and his friends were keeping and always updating. Bedtime was always the same as for getting up the next morning.

=$=$=$=$=$ =$=$=$=$=$=$=$=$=$=$=

After six days of hiding in the train station, Harry had another plan. Yes, he proved he could hide. And there were probably people looking for him. But there was no challenge. The British Isles was a very large place to look for one person. For all they knew, he could have been lounging on the French Riviera.

Very early on Sunday morning, Harry emerged from his trunk under his invisibility cloak and made his way to another section of the train station. Once he was sure nobody could see him, he put away his invisibility cloak, threw on his hooded outer cloak to disguise himself a bit, and walked up to the storage area to claim his luggage. Again, he carried his trunk back where nobody could see him. Using the generic wand, he shrunk his trunk to fit in his pocket, then he Disapparated to the Burrow. It was Sunday morning and Molly Weasley always had a big family breakfast. It would be nice to converse with other people after a week of solitude.

After greetings from everybody, including the big hug from Mrs. Weasley, which rivaled everybody else combined, they all sat down for breakfast.

“So, Harry, seen any good movies lately?” Fred asked. Or was it George?

“Been doing the night scene, since nobody has seen you during the daytime?” said George. Or was it Fred?

Everybody got quiet to hear his response. Harry hasn’t answered anybody’s questions so far.

“I’ve been doing some work I started with Professor Dumbledore. Before…you know…before everything else happened.”

“And what is that, dear?” Molly asked wanting more details.

“I can’t say. He didn’t want me to tell too many people. The less said, the safer everybody would be.” He replied. But he did chance a glance towards Ron and Hermione. He figured Hermione caught on but wasn’t too sure about Ron.

“But is it dangerous to be out on your own. Shouldn’t the Order be helping you?” Mr. Weasley finally spoke.

“No. Not at this time. Actually, what I’m doing is quite passive. Has the Order been looking for me?” Before he could answer, Mrs. Weasley did.

“Of course, dear. Everybody was so worried looking for you. We didn’t know what happened. We found your note but it didn’t tell us anything except that you were fine.”

Hermione couldn’t help but snort at Harry’s ‘lying on his deathbed and says, “I’m fine”’ reply.

Mrs. Weasley’s ‘Harrumph’ was a little louder so only Ron and Ginny heard Hermione.

“Matter of fact, there is one more thing I need to do and I could use your lot’s help.” Harry replied, looking at everybody’s faces around the table.

“And that would be…?” Mr. Weasley spoke again.

“I want to hide here at the Burrow and I want you lot to find me.”

“Where? Here?”

“Anywhere on the Weasley property, in or out of the house.”

“You mean right here, where we all grew up, knowing every square millimeter of our home?”

“Right in one.”

“You must be joking?”

“You wouldn’t last an hour.”

Bill, Charlie, Fred & George laughed at him. Ron snickered. Hermione shook her head. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley didn’t know what to think. Ginny looked at Harry and wondered what he was up to.

“Are you sure about that? You didn’t fine me the last week before I showed up at your breakfast table.” He responded.

“The world is a big place, Harry. But our house; you’re talking our territory now.” Charlie explained.

“There’s not exactly a whole lot of hiding places around here we haven’t found already.” Bill added.

“And when we do find you…” George started.

“You will be our test subject for wasting our precious time” finished Fred.

“Oh. Well, what do I get if I win?” Looking around, Harry settled on Ginny.

“If you think I will only last an hour, Ginny, would you like to keep me company for that hour?” The room got a lot quieter at that point.

“Um, sure, Harry. I probably know more hiding places than all my brothers combined.”

“Right, then it’s settled. Starting tomorrow morning, the game’s afoot. We will hide and you lot have all week to find us.”

Mrs. Weasley started to have second thoughts now that Ginny was involved but her sons’ exuberance overrode her better judgment.

Hermione leaned over to whisper in Harry’s ear. “What are you up to?” Ron leaned in to hear his response.

“It’s a test. If they can’t find me on their own home turf, I doubt if anybody can. And that’s to our advantage when we start off. In the meantime, you two,” looking back at Ron, “can help find me.”

“For now, Ginny, may I speak to you for a moment?” Harry stood up and waited for Ginny to get the hint it was to be in private. The two went out the back door and sat on the garden bench in plain view of everybody who looked out, but out of earshot.

“Do you think you’re up to living with me for a week?” he asked her.

“Where are we staying?” she tossed back.

“Right here, as I said.” he smirked.

“Yeah?” She said cautiously. Don’t you think somebody would catch us if we slept here, ate here, or even used the loo?”

“Nope. Not at all.” She just gave him a sharp look.

“Look. Just pack a bag for about a week as if you’re going to stay with a friend and meet me in the living room at 3 in the morning. Don’t let anybody see you.”

The mystery and the curiosity were too much for her. “Alright. I trust you.” And gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “So, now what?”

The two interacted with the others all day playing chess, exploding snap, and some flying in the afternoon. Bedtime came uneventfully, but the Weasley boys were still saying Harry might last only 30 minutes.

On time, Ginny met Harry downstairs with a small bag. Harry then pulled out his trunk from his pocket, set it on the floor, and enlarged it. Ginny started to understand where they were going to stay but not how to hide.

“Welcome to our new home.” Harry said while guiding Ginny to step down the stairs.

“Why thank you.” She replied as she went down. Lights started to magically come on as she entered the room at the bottom of the stairs. Harry followed her after closing the trunk lid.

“Watch this. It’s a new feature the manufacturer wanted me to test out for them.”

Harry opened up some short curtains by the stairs that showed a small, round window. It was bowled out a little so you could see along the outside of the trunk. Ginny didn’t recall seeing anything like a window on the outside of the trunk before she got in.

With his wand touching the glass, he said, “Open Portal.” As if looking through a magic window, it appeared as if Harry & Ginny were standing on the outside looking at the trunk.

He first cast a shrinking charm at the trunk that reduced it to the size of a box of matches.

Then a lifting charm floated the trunk into a ceiling corner in the Weasley living room.

Third, Harry added a sticking charm to hold the trunk in place.

And last, a new invisibility charm that even Mad-eye Moody couldn’t see through.

So, from anybody standing in the Weasley living room, nobody would be able to see this little box stuck in a corner of the ceiling. But on the inside, Harry & Ginny were to enjoy their week as if they were living inside a small cottage with all its features, except windows.

“So. Would you like a tour of the place or go back to bed? It’s still pretty early and your family won’t start looking for us until they notice we don’t show up for breakfast.”

Ginny just smiled at him while she made her decision.

A/N: Again, this story can be told in many different ways. This is just one suggestion to get your mind to start thinking of ideas.

Reviews 34
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear