Search:

SIYE Time:7:24 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Willpower
By Chreechree

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 85
Summary: Ginny is certain Harry fancies her. Knowing his reserve, Ginny decides he might need a little reassurance about her feelings. HBP missing moment.
Hitcount: Story Total: 21043



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
I can’t believe that when I finally post something, it’s all fluff. If you’re looking for something thought provoking and insightful, you’ve chosen the wrong fic. Still, I hope you’ll think it’s fun.

This is a HBP missing moment which takes place the evening before the Sectumsempra/ bathroom debacle.





ChapterPrinter


Willpower



Come on, Harry. Look up. Show me those big, beautiful, bright green eyes.

Ginny Weasley was sitting across from Harry Potter in the Gryffindor common room. Nothing separated them except a short expanse of dark wood and a scattering of ink pots, parchment, and books. Ginny was supposedly working on a Charms essay. In reality, she had been writing a string of nonsense words and doodling as she had completed her essay the previous night. While she had wanted to appear to be concentrating on an assignment, her true focus now rested on the young man in front of her, for, at less than three months shy of his seventeenth birthday, he was no longer a child.

Ginny wondered not for the first time in recent months what had happened to that skinny little boy who captured her heart on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. Before her sat a tall, lean, strong young man. His voice had deepened to a rich baritone; his face had matured and lost the soft edges of childhood. His legs, too long for his chair, sprawled out carelessly to each side as his torso curved over his parchment, his left elbow planted on the table. His black robes, opened at the front, fell back to either side and failed to conceal the rest of his form. His rumpled white shirt was unbuttoned at the throat, and his loosened tie hung down to rest on his left thigh. His round glasses perched crookedly on his nose as his left hand passed through his hair, an oft-performed gesture of frustration, which caused his hair to stick up and out even more than usual — still adorably messy. While her mum would want to straighten and smooth every aspect of Harry’s appearance, Ginny found his head-to-toe disheveled look undeniably sexy.

Ginny had been taken with Harry back when he was cute yet awkward and sweet. Now, he was widely considered to be one of the most handsome wizards in the castle. Add his good looks to his hero status, his Quidditch prowess, and what most girls misconstrued as a casual confidence and aloofness, and his allure was unrivaled. Most witches in the castle sought to possess what she had treasured all along. She could not blame them for ogling him — even that complete cow, Romilda Vane. Ginny, after all, had been guilty of watching him for years. Still, these girls understood neither Harry nor his life, and she knew that he would never be interested in worship from a girl he plucked from the adoring throng.

Poor thing. He’s struggling with his Transfiguration again. I shouldn’t endeavour to distract him while he’s working. If I know Harry, after I’m done, he’s not going to be able to concentrate. No, it’s for his own good… my own good as well. It’s time for you to understand, sweet boy. Look at me, Harry. Make me melt.

His breathtaking eyes always made her go to mush, no matter how ephemeral a glance they spared her. For months now, however, she had realised, his looks had been anything but fleeting. She had not allowed herself to believe that his attentions went beyond mere friendship because it would be too painful to indulge in that fantasy to have it squashed yet again. For Ginny, no one could hold a candle to Harry. No one made her laugh the way he did. She likewise knew that she could elicit his throaty laugh with a well placed look. He never laughed as loudly for anyone else, except maybe Fred and George. After years of being on the fringe of his life, she could finally say that she was one of Harry’s close friends. She wanted to be more, of course, but she had learned to accept the limits of their relationship.

When she broke up with Dean two weeks ago, however, Harry’s demeanour changed. Harry had never exactly been subtle, so his change in behaviour was obvious to Ginny who had spent many years covertly reading even his most understated gestures. Ever since her breakup, Ginny had often observed a goofy grin plastered on Harry’s face whenever he became lost in thought. If Ginny had not known him better, she might have thought he was simply in a good mood, but she recognised that look. It was similar to the expression he had once worn when he caught sight of Cho, but that look had always been a bit restrained and held a tinge of sadness. His current grin spoke of pure joy mixed with a little uncertainty. The fact that this smile always culminated in his eyes seeking her out spoke volumes to Ginny. It had taken her over a week before she dared to believe the meaning of those gestures and glances.

Most of the time, she pretended not to notice his interest, even though the feeling of his eyes on her tautened her stomach and made her want to blush. It took every ounce of willpower she could muster to maintain her composure every time, as she was not yet ready to let him see her blush again at his attention. Other times, she smiled warmly back which made him positively beam at her. No, Harry was not subtle. He teased her and flirted in his own shy way. His stolen glances at her had become more frequent and more open. Most of his reservations seemed to have vanished now that she was single. She appreciated his integrity though; she supposed he had presumed her happy with Dean, so he had never interfered with their relationship. As if Harry’s affection could ever be an imposition. Harry had always been wanted.

Ginny knew Harry was trying to steel himself to ask her out or to express his feelings for her, but her tall, freckled sibling kept getting in the way.

Ron.

Ron was a problem. Every time Harry attempted to get her alone, Ron hovered and hung around, talking nonstop Quidditch. With the match coming on Saturday, Ginny hoped that Ron would relax after it was over and give Harry a moment’s peace which might provide a quiet moment for the two of them. Even now, Ron sat next to Harry while Hermione sat on Ginny’s right. Hermione had attempted to divert Ron to a different table when she saw Harry sit down across from Ginny, but Ron had loudly declared that there was plenty of room and asked why should they sit elsewhere. Ginny had watched Harry sigh as his shoulders sagged. She could not be angry with her brother as he was not deliberately interfering. She knew that he would be thrilled to see her with Harry. She was not sure that Harry comprehended that though. Harry had clearly not yet confided in Ron. She wondered whom Harry would approach first when he finally decided to state his intentions. Would he come to her, or would he clear it with his oldest and best mate first?

Ginny determined that it really did not matter who was first, for now that she was certain, now that she knew she was not setting herself up for disappointment, it was time for her to act. Ginny would not exactly make the first move. It was not that she was too proud, but Harry had known how she had felt for years. Even if she had never spoken the words to him, he knew. Everyone knew. It was his turn to declare himself. Harry was unbelievably brave, but he had known little love since his parents’ deaths. Ginny surmised he might fear rejection. To ease his mind without making the first move, Ginny would reveal her feelings quietly but clearly enough. Ron did not even need to leave the table.

Look at me, Harry.

Almost as if he felt her will, his eyes snapped to hers.

Yes.

Startled that he had been caught, he pulled his gaze immediately down, staring blankly at his parchment.

We’re not done yet, Harry. You can do better than that. Come on, Dearest. Please, look at me.

Harry’s eyes darted from side to side before peering up again. Ginny gazed unflinchingly back, a coy smile spreading across her face. His eyes flitted down a final time before steadily meeting her look.

Hello there, Handsome.

Harry seemed to read her thoughts from her expression, and his jaw suddenly dropped. To his credit, he did not flinch or look away this time and recovered enough to close his mouth. The warmth and intensity of his gaze, the reverence it held, washed over her, making her tingle from her scalp all the way down her spine.

If his look can do this to me, I can’t wait to find out what his kisses will do.

Her eyes left his to glance at his right hand as it nervously twitched and fiddled with one corner of his parchment. Harry’s hands were large but not meaty. Instead his fingers were long and nimble just as a Seeker’s should be.

Strong hands.

My hands… soon.

Slowly, deliberately, she drew her eyes along his arm, pausing long enough to imagine being enveloped in those arms while pressed against his chest. She knew she would feel safe and cherished when held by him. She could see it in his eyes as hers met his again. He had not looked away. The corners of his mouth had quirked up into the smallest of smiles. It was tentative yet warm and completely charming.

Time to show my hand.

Ginny let herself feel his eyes, his affection. She visualized what that might mean to them - kisses, caresses, love, every little fantasy she had ever entertained about Harry -and, finally stopped fighting to control her blush. She felt her cheeks and then her ears grow hot. She knew her skin was now flushed an unflattering dark pink, and she stared fixedly at her hands now folded in her lap. Ginny did not need to feign her embarrassment.

She had done it. She had thrown down the gauntlet.

Your move, Harry.

As the heat finally seeped from her face, she chanced a shy glimpse at him. Harry’s eyes were glazed over and cast downward. Ginny was startled. That was not at all what she had expected — a smile, a blush of his own, perhaps, but not this withdrawn expression. Beginning to panic, she felt her heart rate increase and blood pound in her ears. Had she misjudged this badly?

No, I couldn’t have. Hermione said she saw it too. What have I done? He won’t talk to me for months if he thinks I’m going to resurrect that crush again. If only he knew — this goes way beyond that old crush. No, that might make things worse if he knew just how strongly I feel for him. No. No. No. Oh, God, no.

Ginny fought to regain control as she felt her eyes begin to prickle and sting. Just as she was planning her escape, she saw Harry’s eyes focus on her books, and a slow smile spread across his face that reached all the way up to those stunning eyes which crinkled at the corners. In near imitation of her earlier gesture, his eyes slowly raked over her arms and torso, lingering, she believed, on her mouth before finally meeting her own eyes.

And then, Harry did something that completely shocked and thrilled her.

He winked.

Relieved, Ginny exhaled sharply. She felt heat course through her body as his eyes appraised her. For a brief moment, she felt an overwhelming urge to abandon her plan and crawl over the table and straight into Harry’s lap. She wanted to feel those lips and hands on her, to claim him and let him claim her. She reminded herself, however, that she had decided that he needed to come to her, so she reasserted her will and met his grin with one of her own.

No, my love, not yet.

His light eyes burned through her as he slowly arched one eyebrow. Ginny began to blush all over again. She threw her right hand over her face, fingers splayed, and peeked sideways at him through her fingers. He laughed out loud and quickly turned it into a cough when Ron glanced sharply over.

Harry looked innocently back and waved him off. Hermione examined Harry’s suppressed mirth and Ginny’s pink tinge and smirked before returning to her Runes.

Message received. Time to exit, so he can simmer.

Ginny slowly pulled her books and parchment to her chest as she deliberately rose from the table.

“G’night everyone,” she said quietly.

Ron and Hermione absentmindedly wished her a good evening.

Smiling warmly, she turned back to Harry. Her eyes, soft yet earnest, met his, which showed the utmost tenderness. Again, she almost faltered from the impact he had on her.

“Sweet dreams, Harry.”

Don’t keep me waiting long, Dearest.

“Sweet dreams, Ginny.”

As she made her way to her dormitory, Ginny felt his eyes on her back, and she swore she could hear his silent reply:

I won’t.


*****


A/N: Many thanks to cwarbeck, my very dear friend and beta, who certainly made this story better. Cel, thank you for your enthusiasm which did spur me to posting this… even if it took three months. I left the lap remark in just for you. Thanks also to my buddy Sovran who has been a trooper listening to me fret over actually putting something out there for public scrutiny. I appreciate your support… and your alter ego’s as well. Hugs to fake a smile and moshpit just for your friendship. All four of you have made my time hanging out on this site so much richer. Thanks to all of you who took the time to read. Reviews would be much appreciated.
Reviews 85
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear