Search:

SIYE Time:10:28 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


What Can We Do With Them?...They're Idiots!
By WaterLily

- Text Size +

Category: Angst Valentine Challenge (2006-1)
Characters:None
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 22
Summary: Ginny slumped onto the floor in front of the fire and looked around at the glum faces of the girls around her. It's Valentine's Day! They shouldn't be glum! Follow the Gryffindor Girls as they grouch about their dashed hopes on this supposed-to-be-romantic day!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4194







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: Characters are JKR’s, plot is mine.

[A/N: This takes place in sixth year but does not include events in HBP]


What Can We Do? They’re Idiots!

Ginny slumped onto the floor in front of the fire and looked around at the glum faces of the girls around her. Parvati and Lavender were staring listlessly into the flames while Katie viciously attacked a large bar of Honeyduke’s Deluxe Chocolate. Hermione seemed to be the only cheerful girl amongst them, or at least, she was indifferent to the atmosphere around her. Maybe the book she was reading was really good.

“Happy Valentines Day, everyone,” she said, with a wry smile, praying for a response from the depressed Gryffindors. Not that she wasn’t pining herself, anyway. The response she had hoped for was icy enough to freeze hell. Katie, Parvati and Lavender were instantly spurred into action as they threw their pillows at her and then glared furiously.

Well! If looks could kill...humph...I wish it were that easy!

Hermione looked up from her reading and grinned cheerfully.

“Thanks, Ginny! I had a wonderful day, though I’m sure everyone did! Ron was just so romantic!” she gushed, oblivious to the death stares she was receiving. Ginny had to agree with the rest, here. She was being kind before, but now...she was just gloating!

“Glad you enjoyed it. Who are we all pining for then?” she said, trying to make conversation in the tension between them all.

Might as well put myself on the line…I think some people know anyway.

“I’m waiting for Harry.”

Snorts and mutters of “That was obvious!” and “He’s yours!” were heard, much to Ginny’s chagrin.

He wasn’t that much of an idiot! OK…maybe he was. But I didn’t really make myself that obvious, did I? Oh, who am I kidding? Everyone knows!

Katie stopped smirking and remembering why she was so sad, said,

“I’ve had a crush on Jason Hallows since Third Year. You don’t know him; he’s a Ravenclaw in my year, Roger Davies’ best friend. But he’s going out with Lisa Turpin, as of today. He asked her out when I went over there at breakfast, to see if he would notice me.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry! He’ll come around soon, don’t worry!” Ginny sat up and gave Katie a reassuring hug as her voice broke and she started to cry.

“You know, I just wish he at least noticed me? He could at least say ‘Hi, Katie!’ instead of ‘Hey Bell! What was the Arithmancy homework?”

Ginny patted her back and gave her back the chocolate that she had dropped and turned to Parvati and Lavender. Before she could ask, Parvati spoke up,

“Lavender and I have been pretty obvious lately. We’ve really made fools of ourselves, what with the entire constant giggling and whispering. We thought that we would get dates from Dean and Seamus if we had an air of mystery, but they pretty much ignored us. So we thought we should take things a step further. I just went straight up to Dean at dinner and asked if he would come to Hogsmeade with me. It was so humiliating! He just said no and turned red; he was going to ask someone else out! Now he’s going to think I’m a total freak and- Oh, Merlin! Tomorrow is going to be so awkward! When I turned around he was talking to another girl, I couldn’t see her face.”

Katie spoke up,

“It was Cho Chang. I saw them.”

“Oh my God, I can’t believe he was talking to Cho Chang.”

Parvati sank dejectedly into her armchair and went back to staring at the fire; she already knew Lavender’s story…

“I don’t think I’ve told any of you, but my hobby used to be writing poetry, before I came to Hogwarts. So I wrote a small sheaf of poetry for Seamus and I left it on his pillow with my name on it. He went upstairs after lunch and brought it down. Hermione was in the library and you three were at Quidditch practise so you didn’t see him. He laughed and magnified his voice so he could talk to everyone in the Common Room. I have no idea what he was thinking. But then he-” she took a deep, steadying breath, and carried on, acknowledging the sympathetic look from Hermione and Parvati, “He read it out.”

Hermione tutted and conjured up some more chocolate for the three girls sitting around her. They really needed it. Desperately!

“Well, I had a wonderful day! Ginny, can you imagine Ron being romantic? Ron? Believe it or not, for a while, he was. He took me behind the Quidditch stands. He made me a card, brought some chocolate from the kitchens and a small bouquet of Glittering Fairybarbs from the greenhouses. He hugged me and said that he had been waiting to show how he felt for me for ages so he thought this was the only way he thought he could do it. You know, when he brought out the flowers, and when I sort of made a happy noise, he had the nerve to say, ‘Oh! I never realised that you were such a girl, Hermione!’ Jokingly, but he still said it.”

“So what did you say?”

“I said, ‘Well, Ron, it’s Valentines Day. A card, a smile, a hug...poof! I’m a girl! Every girl’s dream is to be noticed by their crush.”

Parvati and Lavender sat up, their interest piqued. Apparently, heartbreak couldn’t ever spoil their thirst for gossip.

“Did you kiss him?”

“Yes.”

“Where?”

“Well...I wanted to kiss his lips but he didn’t realise that so he kind of moved so that he could kiss my cheek....and then-”

Hermione broke off. How could she explain this to four girls who had kissed more guys than she had held hands with?

“We banged heads and fell back, laughing,” Ron said, as he and Harry came up behind them and sat next to their significant others. Or almost-not-quite-significant others, thought Ginny, as Harry sprawled on the floor next to her. Hermione turned as red as a beetroot as Ron turned to her and said incredulously, “Is that what you wanted to do? You missed my lips by a kilometre!”

“Well, what were you doing?” she cried out indignantly, “You weren’t any less clumsy!”

Ginny tuned out the argument, as did the rest of the Common Room, and turned to Harry. He was sitting up on his elbows, looking at her with a slightly dazed, surprise look on his face.

Shaking his head vigorously, he said,

“So? What have you done this Valentine’s Day? Anyone special in your life?”

You…You…You…You…

“No. Not at the moment. The guy I like doesn’t know I like him.” Everyone turned around to see how this conversation would turn out. Was Ginny going to tell him?

“Oh. That’s a shame. How much do you like him?”

Ginny let out a derisive laugh and looked out at the rain-splattered window, lost in thought.

How can I answer that question? I like him, probably too much, but I can’t help it! I just can’t put my feelings into words. Ever since I wrote in Tom’s diary.

She sighed and looked at her nails.

“I think I love him. It used to be just puppy love, ever since I met him on Platform 9 ¾ when we went to drop off Ron. But now, it’s that can’t-eat-can’t-sleep-all-the-way-around -the-world-and-over-the-fence kind of love. I just wish that the idiot will turn around one day and see that I’m not just little Ginny Weasley, the baby sister, but as me. Because, when I dream, I dream of our life together. I see a big house, just as cosy as the Burrow; a dog called Snuffles; more kids than my mum, all with gorgeous green- ”

She gasped and fell abruptly out of her trance. She swung around to face Harry to see if he had realised her blunder.

He was just frowning speculatively as the entire Common Room held its breath.

“Green what?”

“Er…green…erm…jumpers!”

Oh no! I’m clutching at straws here!

“Jumpers?”

“Yes, jumpers. Like Mum’s Weasley jumpers. Except these would be Po-”

Ginny clamped her mouth shut.

Really! What is wrong with me, today! I seem to have diarrhoea of the mouth or something!

“What would they be?” Harry looked a bit puzzled now. But at least he was listening. Even though he couldn’t get his head round her mistakes, or why all the Gryffindors were biting their cheeks, and ever so often, letting out a huge guffaw.

“Perfectly identical.”

Another straw! Think fast Ginevra!

“Why?”

“So that…so that we could tell the Weasley kids from my kids. That’s why.” She heaved a sigh of relief as Harry got up to stoke the fire.

Close shave! Don’t you dare make any more pathetic slips of the tongue, Weasley! There’s too much at stake!

“So what about you? Can you tear yourself away from Dumbledore long enough to have a girlfriend in your spare time?”

Thank Merlin! Spotlight off Ginny Weasley! Let’s see what Mr. Potter has to say.

Harry rolled his eyes and sat back down. He looked really depressed and the students all waited with baited breath as he rested his head in his hands and looked towards Ginny.

“There is someone I like, but I don’t think I have time for a girlfriend. If I had someone special in my life then I would want to treat her properly, you know? Show her how much she means to me. But since I have Quidditch, DA, Occlumency, Animagus Studies, and all that stuff, I wouldn’t be able to show this hypothetical girlfriend that I love her. For now, she’ll just have to be friends with me.”

Is he hinting at something? Sometimes, I wish I were Dumbledore. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about what people think of me!

“Who is she?”

“Oh, you know her really well but she’s in this room and she’s listening to me like the rest of Gryffindor Tower so I don’t think I’ll make a fool of myself just yet. Maybe later.”

He got up and walked towards the boy’s staircase, followed by the gaping gazes of everyone in the room.

He can’t just leave like that! He needs help! He opened up to me when Sirius died. As a friend, of course. So he’s not allowed to get all moody again. Not anymore.

“Hey, Harry!”

He turned around and fixed her with his piercing probing green eyes.

“Hmm?”

“You know,” she said loudly, turning her body around to face him, “I think you need a female figure in your life. Who do you think is your best female friend, who isn’t taken?”

“Er…You, I guess.”

Ginny could see now that he was thoroughly confused. He couldn’t begin to fathom where she was going with the conversation.

Rightly so! After making me squirm so much, I think he’s due some payback! What would he be the most embarrassed by? He hates attention so he’s trying to get out of the room because all Gryffindors are acting like overgrown vultures. Hmm…Maybe…If I…No! It’s so evil, it’s brilliant!

She smiled a wicked Cheshire Cat grin and stretched out her legs.

“OK, and when was the last time you had a girlfriend?”

“I’ve never had one. Unless you count Cho Chang last year, but that was a suicide attempt before it even got started.”

It gave her such a warm feeling inside to know that he never really liked that hosepipe.

“Right, so what I think is that you need some romance in your life. You need a friend to be with you for a bit. You know, cheer you up.”

“What are you trying to say, Ginny?”

He didn’t sound frustrated at all, as a surprise. More like intrigued by her proposition.

Who was he talking about when he said all those things about a ‘hypothetical girlfriend’? It couldn’t have been…me? Could it? Surely not!

She laid aside her trembling heart and continued,

“How about, on Saturday, we spend the day together? As friends. I’ll come into your dorm and wake you up early by dancing starkers on your bed. Then we can go and find some breakfast and feed some to the Giant Squid. We could go into Hogsmeade, and you can buy me some Dobby Socks, if you really wanted. We could come back, have dinner, and go to bed!”

She let out a gigantic breath, having said everything in one go.

She chanced a look at Harry, and saw the outcome of her plan. Apparently, his mouth had become steadily larger as she had been talking and his face had become red enough to rival the Weasley ears.

She quirked her eyebrows and smiled questioningly.

That was enough for him! He bolted up the stairs, to the snickers of the Gryffindors, and to Ginny’s satisfaction.

She turned back to Katie, Parvati, Lavender and Hermione, pleased to see their rosy faces, smiling instead of depressed.

“You know what I think of guys?”

“No, what do you think?”

“A whole bunch of elephants. The lot of them.”

Her comment was met by curious giggles and cries of offence from Ron, who didn’t know what an elephant was anyway.

“Why elephants?”

Hermione, ever practical, leaned forward and questioned Ginny. Everyone else turned back to their own conversations as the point of they’re interest had run away. No one was interested in that group’s conversation anymore.

“Because from what I’ve seen from the pictures Professor Kellson showed in Muggle Studies, when something comes up to attack them, most of the time they don’t notice until it’s very close. When they do notice, they either run away, or attack, or get closer to see if it’s a real threat. If a girl tells a boy that she likes him, or, does what I did to poor Harry, the boy either runs away and tries to avoid the girl, like Harry did; or tries to get back at you, like Jason, Dean and Seamus did; or he comes closer and sees if the relationship will work out, which it did with Hermione and Ron.”

“Oh. That’s clever, but there’s one problem with that. I haven’t run away and I don’t think I’ll avoid you.”

Ginny froze, and swivelled slowly on the spot to face Harry, who was smirking at her open mouth with his hands behind his back.

She gulped and spoke, her voice shaking, hoping, and praying for the best. “So what are you going to do?”

“First, I’m going to give you this,” he brought his hand out from behind his back, clutching a yellow rose.

Ginny accepted this cautiously, as if it might jump up and bite her on the nose.

“What’s this for?”

Is this some sort of joke? Because if it is, then whoever planned it will get so bat-shaped bogey flapping out of their noses!

“It’s for being such a great friend since last year and because I wanted to ask you something. I have a proposition.”

My tables are glued to the floor! They cannot be turned! SO WHY ARE THEY TURNING??

“What might that be?”

“How about if, on Saturday, you forget about dancing on my bed, we get breakfast and eat it ourselves. We can walk round the lake and ignore the Giant Squid, go to Hogsmeade, as friends, and I’ll get you something from Gladrags other than socks. Then, we could come back, have dinner and go to bed. Does that suit you?”

Good sweet Merlin! Is this a date? No. I will go as friends and I will not drool. You hear that, Weasley?

“Sure, that’s fine with me, but I do want some socks. All of mine have holes in them. New ones would be so much nicer.”

“Right, then! Goodnight, Gin! Sweet dreams!”

With that, he strode up to bed, for the last time that night, leaving Ginny, stunned on the floor, the yellow rose hanging limply from her hand.

“Er…Ginny? Is that a date?”

They were all beaming at her. Katie, Parvati, Lavender and Hermione.

“No. Probably just a ‘friends’ day out.” She sighed and flopped onto an armchair that a second year had just vacated nearby. “What am I going to do with him? Sometimes he’s such a guy! But other times, he’s really sweet and thoughtful. He’s so confusing!”

“All guys are like that, Ginny. I haven’t met one guy who’s different.”

Lavender nodded in agreement with Parvati. They both had had annoying experiences like that.

“Yeah,” muttered Katie, “Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.”

Hermione, ever cheerful, assured Ginny with the most sensible advice yet.

“What can we do with them? Nothing…they’re idiots!”

[A/N: Well, guys, this includes all the criteria for the challenge. If you want a sequel about what happens on their date, then please review and tell me. All your reviews mean something to me and I seriously thrive on them. Let me know if you want more. Please review anyway!]
Reviews 22
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear