Search:

SIYE Time:23:50 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Fires Ablaze
By explosionsinthesky

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Remus Lupin
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 11
Summary: During a wintery visity to Hogsmeade, Mr. Harry Potter has a rather startling revelation...One-shot. R+R!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4908







ChapterPrinter


Fires Ablaze

Disclaimer: Do I really need one?


*************************


The snow crunched under his sturdy boots. He smiled as he remembered an exhausted Hedwig making a large delivery over the summer from a certain Professor Remus Lupin. A chocolate cake for his 16th birthday (“everyone knows that those Dursleys are incapable of providing you with any good nourishment”), self-lighting candles ("for dark situations"), a wand holder ("remember what Moody said: if you put your wand in your back pocket, you might lose your buttocks"), a defensive charm booklet ("for future DA practices"), invisibility balm ("for the times you forget your father's cloak"), and these boots ("no ordinary boots, you'll be able to get through anything with these boots, even walk on water I daresay. Dead useful in tricky places.")



And the tiny locket, a beautiful and glowing white gold locket encrusted with a single white lily that seemed to be swaying to an invisible breeze. Inside were the smiling portraits of James and Lily Potter. The note that came with it read "Your mother entrusted me with this not long after your first birthday. She never really explained to me why she gave me this, but I could sense her foreboding of a future tragedy. Keep this safe, and look to it for light and comfort."



And so it did provide him comfort, with a simple touch after terrifying dreams about Voldemort or encounters with hate and fury from the Slytherin gang after Quidditch matches. It gave him a sense of peace and calm, much in the same way that Ginny Weasley could now calm him with a smile, a small pat on the arm, or even just a word of hello.



Strange. The youngest Weasley seemed to never spend enough time with them anymore. With the constant rambling and bickering of Hermione and Ron, Harry found himself wishing for quiet and peace and more of Ginny, who now provided a comfort into which he could immerse his thoughts and fill the cold, empty void that now pervaded his body.



He shivered and pulled his coat tighter to his throat trying to ward off the harsh wind and chilling blankets of snow.



Damn it. Why couldn't Professor Lupin have given me an imperturbable cloak or something that could keep me warm in horrid weather? But then again, I could have chosen to stay in the nice and cozy Three Broomsticks instead of impulsively deciding to pay a useless visit to the Shrieking Shack. Merlin, I'm a stupid git. I suppose that since I've gotten this far, I'd best go on. After this hill I'll be th...



He stopped in mid-thought. There on the top of the hill stood something that constricted his chest, something that made his heart stop momentarily.



Ginny Weasley, her cheeks stained rouge from the chill and physical exertion and her incredibly adorable pigtails swinging in the wind. He saw every single detail from the playful glint in her umber eyes to the flecks of snow that spotted her worn down second-hand coat to the way her lips pursed together every few seconds as if expecting a kiss. She looked expectant, and suddenly, hurdling from the side of the hill, a snowball pummelled her in the stomach, pushing her down into the snow.



Her laughter rang out clearly in the air as she struggled to stand up, "Oh! You're going to get it now, Thomas. You asked for it! You'll be begging for mercy once I'm through with you!"



Thomas? Thomas who? Was this another of Ginny's boyfriends? HOW MANY DOES SHE HAVE? Harry could feel the anger boiling in his veins. Anger mixed with another emotion he wasn't quite so familiar with. The creature in his chest was threatening to burst out to Ginny and tie her to a faraway tree where no male humans could reach her.



Dean Thomas rolled out from the side of the hill with a cry and tumbled over Ginny, crushing her against the snow.



So it wasn't another boyfriend, just Dean... Bloody smarmy stupid GIT! Instead of subsiding as it should have at the fact that Ginny was still a monogamous witch, Harry's anger increased tenfold. DEAN!



He listened to their whispers, trying to make out what they were saying, although a small voice in his head told him it was very rude indeed to eavesdrop on two unsuspecting people.



UNSUSPECTING? No! Ginny should be with him anyway because...well...SHE SHOULDN'T! And DEAN! He should be crushed to a pulp for daring to touch her!



He let out a soft gasp. They were kissing now. Not a small chaste peck. Snogging...almost viciously with Dean on top of Ginny...obviously doing more than cozying up for warmth, no doubt!



Dean was caressing the tresses of Ginny's hair that had fallen loose. TOUCHING HER HAIR! How dare that mongrel let his filthy hands touch her hair?



Harry felt like he had received a seriously wounding blow as he staggered back down the hill, not caring about the noise he made or the sinking feeling in his heart.



The last thing he could remember hearing before hurrying back down the snowy slope was a sharp intake of breath...


***************


Ginny abruptly pushed Dean off her and squinted down the hill. Someone had been watching them…someone who looked like he had heavy boots on, a seeker's build, and messy ink-black hair. At once, her heart sank, she felt nauseated.



"Oi! Why'd we stop?"



"I'm not feeling so well, I’m going to head back to the Three Broomsticks. You...don't have to come with me."



He followed her anyway, helping her up like the extremely annoying gentleman that he was. She didn't have time for this. She had to go back. And fast, as fast as her legs could take her.



As she made her way down to Hogsmeade, she felt the wind nipping at her skin, blowing her hair into disarray. Merlin, it was cold. Freezing. Strange. How she didn't notice the cold before.



Her numb fingers pushed open the door to the Three Broomsticks, hoping to find a pair of soft green eyes and a sheepish smile, but to her dismay, Harry seemed to be nowhere in the vicinity...


*****************


Harry' s numb fingers pushed open the great doors that led to the Astronomy Tower, hoping that his legs could take the seven flights of stairs up to the Gryffindor Common Room without falling out from underneath him. Merlin, he felt so exhausted, but as he began to recall all the things he had accomplished that day, nothing registered as having the ability to tire him so...except....what he just saw.



As he stumbled through the portrait hole, he collapsed on the nearest couch, grasping deep into his pockets for a small piece of comfort...the locket. He felt his fingers close around the small piece of metal, and a sense of relaxation spread throughout his body. A sigh escaped his lips; he could think now.



Think about what? About her? He shouldn't be thinking about her. He should be thinking about getting Slughorn's memory, about finding ways to defeat Voldemort, about ways to win Ginny over. NO! What was he thinking? Who was he kidding? He couldn't think!



The creature in his chest roared in protest. First it was seeing Dean and Ginny in the empty corridor, and now this. Harry leaned back against the couch, utterly defeated. It was completely obvious. He couldn't stop thinking about her, and no matter how hard he tried, his mind wouldn't wander far away from thoughts of Ginny Weasley. Not even pondering over Malfoy’s latest ploys could help him.



The mere thought dulled Harry’s brain: she was with Dean, and she was Ron’s sister. Dean, he’d never thought as his enemy, but Ron was someone he could not lose as a friend. What would he think? Surely Ron would be the first to mutilate Harry if he ever found out that his own best mate was having indecent thoughts about his little sister.



But no, Harry didn’t think any indecent thoughts. Not yet anyway. He just fancied her…he was just…falling in love with her.



Harry suddenly jerked his head up as his brain worked furiously to backtrack.



I’m falling in love with Ginny Weasley? Bloody hell.



Now he could hear his own ragged breathing and the pounding pulse in his temples. How could he have not noticed it before? And why did she have to give up on him? If only he had taken the chance when he could’ve grasped it.



Harry stared into the crackling flames in the hearth, watching the embers burst out into small fireworks. Red and gold and the purest shades of auburn leapt up and curled into the air, pouring warmth into the air around them. Fires ablaze…



He smiled at how much it reminded him of Ginny and her hair. Her mesmerizing hair that spontaneously curled up and sprang out like fireworks in all directions. Or like her eyes, the eyes of molten chocolate with fiery vivacious sparks that could never fail to send shivers down his spine.



He rested his head again in his hands and stared into the flames, his eyes dancing with their reflection and his mind utterly defeated. He had no idea that at that time, a particular person who sat amongst a bustling crowd in the Three Broomsticks trying to drown herself with warm Butterbeer, was just as miserable as he…


**************


AN: Hope that was a pleasant read. R+R please!
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear