Search:

SIYE Time:7:02 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Return of the Potters
By Aishwarya

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, James Potter, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 8
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

This is a slightly AU story which is, hopefully, an original take on an overdone theme. It has been posted on ff.net and is doing quite well there so I decided to post it here. Plently of Drama, action, romance , intrigue and, most importantly, fun! Enjoy, and don't forget to review!!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4748







ChapterPrinter


The Return of the Potters

Chapter One: Inheritance


Harry Potter decided that it was time to take action.

He was sick and tired of people running his life and telling him what to do like he was their fucking pawn. Harry understood that Dumbledore was acting in his best interests and try as he might he couldn't blame the older man for Sirius' death.

He had blamed himself for a while. Harry had tormented himself with 'what if's' and 'If only's'. Then he had realized that if he hadn't gone to the department of mysteries that night, his self-doubt would be a million times worse, and rightly so. Harry knew that he had nobody to blame but Voldemort for Sirius' death. Him and that bitch, Bellatrix Lestrange.

So, what are you going to do about it? A voice that sounded surprisingly like Dumbledore's said inside his head. I'm going to train, Harry answered, and when I am ready, I am going to kill that son of a bitch or die trying. I'm betting on the die trying part, a silky voice added. Gee thanks, Harry's voice was drenched in sarcasm. Anytime.

A soft tapping sound interrupted Harry's thoughts. Crossing to the window, he let a small silvery white owl into the room. As soon as Harry had removed the letter it was carrying, the owl ruffled its feathers and flew out of the window. Harry had never seen it before, but he knew where it cam from because the letter bore the seal of Gringotts Wizarding Bank. What could they want? Harry thought to himself. Open it and find out, the silky voice replied. Harry snorted, No kidding Sherlock! Breaking the seal with his wand, Harry's brow creased in frustration as he read the letter.

Dear Mr. Potter,

I would like to inform you that by the last will of Lily and James Potter you now have full access to the Potter family vault. Please meet with me at one tomorrow to sign some papers and discuss this matter further.

Mr. Erwin Ulric, Director Gringotts Wizarding Bank.


Harry promptly grabbed a bag of floo powder and made his way downstairs. The day after Moody and the others had warned the Dursley's to play nice, Dumbledore had turned up at Number 4 Privet Drive. In his polite way, he had asked that Mr. and Mrs. Dursley allow Harry to use the fireplace whenever he wanted to contact anyone in the magical world. Needless to say, the Dursley’s noticed Dumbledore’s obvious power immediately and they didn't dare question him. Dumbledore also informed Harry that due to Voldemort’s return, he was now able to use magic outside of school. This, of course, had been done within earshot of the Dursley's.

Ignoring his relatives, who were watching television, Harry pointed his wand at the fireplace and muttered:

"Incendio," Instantly, the fireplace burst into roaring flames. Throwing in some floo powder, Harry stuck his head into the now emerald green fireplace and clearly pronounced:

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Headmaster’s Office."

Dumbledore was at his desk doing some paper work but he immediately got up when he saw Harry.

"Harry, how are you?" Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkled warmly down at the younger man. Harry smiled, but it was only slight, as Dumbledore noticed. His heart contracted painfully. The boy's infectious grin was becoming increasingly rare. His eyes, which were normally bright and sparkling, were clouded with knowledge of pain and suffering that was much too intense for one so young.

"I'm fine, Professor," Harry said, "I'm actually here to get your permission to go to Diagon Alley tomorrow. I got a letter from Gringotts about a Potter family vault and I have an appointment with the director tomorrow."

"Of course you can," Dumbledore smiled. Taking a quill from his desk he tapped it with his wand and placed it in Harry's mouth.

"This is a portkey to Diagon Alley. It will activate at 12:55 tomorrow. To come back, just say 'activate'. And Harry," Dumbledore looked piercingly at the boy in front of him, "Do try to get some sleep, I'm worried about you."

Harry nodded as best he could and pulled his head out of the fire. Ignoring the looks he got from his Aunt and Uncle, he went back up to his room and flopped down onto his bed, comforted by the fact that the headmaster was so concerned about his well being. Harry had thought that Dumbledore might still be angry at him for demolishing his office. It wasn't long before the young boy fell into a restless sleep.

Harry's dreams were plagued by visions of Death Eater meetings and memories of his parent's last moments. He woke up the next day feeling weak and nauseous. Not wanting to worry anybody, Harry hadn't told a soul that his connection with Voldemort had reached a new level. He was able to feel the effects of the curses Voldemort cast. Or, more accurately, Harry suffered from minor exposure to the Cruciatus curse every time Voldemort used it. His time of exposure was accumulating however, and had now reached the stage of full exposure for a minute.

Fighting off a wave of dizziness, Harry sat up only to fall back onto his pillows, pale and shaking. He tried once more to sit up, letting out a groan of frustration when he failed. A fine mess you've gotten yourself into Potter, the silky voice said. Then something happened that made Harry gasp, not out of pain but from astonishment. Aunt Petunia walked into his room and handed him a vial of potion. What was surprising was the concern written all over her features.

"Drink this," she said. Harry was suspicious. What was Aunt Petunia doing with a potion and since when was she worried about him?

"Thank you," he said taking the vial from her, but not drinking its contents.

"How are Aunt Marge's cats doing?" he asked, trying his best to keep his voice casual. His aunt's eyes narrowed and her lips pursed.

"Marge has dogs not cats," she said, "And drink that. It's Cruciatus potion. That man, Dumbledore, said you might need it." Reassured that it really was his aunt, Harry drank the potion. Immediately, the dizziness and nausea passed.

"Thanks," he said again. Petunia Dursley nodded and left the room. Looking at his clock, Harry found that it was 12 pm. He had slept later than he thought possible. After taking a shower, Harry tried to decide what to wear.

At the start of the holidays, he had found a catalogue filled with muggle designer clothes and shoes that Aunt Petunia had been looking through. Figuring that the world's only hope should at least have clothes that fit him, Harry had sent some of his galleons to Fred and George, asking them to change it into muggle money for him. Then he had looked through the catalogue and written down everything he wanted. His order, which was quite large, had arrived yesterday.

Harry settled on a pair of black jeans, a tight white vest, a charcoal grey button down shirt and black and grey trainers.

At 12:55, he grabbed the portkey and felt the familiar tug behind his navel.

"Hello, I have an appointment with Mr. Ulric for 1 'o' clock. My name is Harry Potter." Harry said to a free goblin.

"Follow me, Mr. Potter," the goblin lead Harry through a maze of corridors. The walls were adorned with pictures of famous goblins and a few very renowned wizards. Dumbledore's portrait was present and to Harry's surprise, so was his.

They finally stopped in front of a large brass door with the engraving Mr. Erwin Ulric, Director. After knocking, the goblin ushered Harry inside. Harry found himself in a large, very impressive looking room decorated in red and mahogany. At a huge desk in the centre of the room sat a distinguished looking goblin.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Potter," the goblin said, extending a hand.

"Good afternoon," Harry replied, shaking it.

"Please have a seat," Mr. Ulric indicated a chair opposite him and Harry sat down.

"I assume you have a lot of questions," the goblin began, "allow me to explain why I have asked you here and then perhaps we can answer any remaining queries you may have." Harry nodded and Mr. Ulric started to explain.

"It was in your parents' last will and testament that you should gain full access to the Potter family vault after your 15th, but before your 16th birthday. The vault you are currently using is Lily Potter's private funds. Any questions?" Harry shook his head.

"Very well, if you will please sign, this I'll show you the way." Mr. Ulric handed Harry a sheath of parchments, which Harry signed. This was followed by the longest cart ride Harry had ever been on. The vault was even deeper underground than the one that used to house the Philosopher’s stone.

Finally they arrived at a long stretch of stone wall. About twenty large bronze doors, positioned around two kilometres apart, adorned the wall. The cart stopped in the middle of the damp, cold corridor and Mr. Ulric got out, followed closely by Harry. The goblin lead Harry towards the very first door. On the way, they passed Draco Malfoy and his mother.

"What are you doing here, Potter?" he hissed as Harry and Mr. Ulric passed.

"Taking a bubble bath," Harry replied walking straight past the Malfoys without looking at either of them.

"Ah, here we are!" The goblin said. The door they had stopped in front of was inlaid with gold. The word 'Potter' was inscribed in elaborately curved letters over an engraving of a lion, eagle, badger and snake. Below the animals were the engraved portraits of two witches and three wizards whom he recognised as Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Merlin, Helga Hufflepuff and Salazar Slytherin. Perhaps it was his imagination, but Harry thought the portrait of Godric Gryffindor had winked at him.

"Only a true Potter may enter the vault," Mr. Ulric said, "You just have to walk through. Good day to you, Mr. Potter." Mr. Ulric gave a small bow, then disappeared with a soft 'pop'.

Taking a deep, calming breath, Harry closed his eyes and stepped through the door. When he opened them, he actually let out a gasp of surprise.

He was in an enormous, circular room with a large dome shaped roof. One half of the room held mountains upon mountains of precious stones, galleons, sickles and knuts. The other half was stacked with large, expensive looking trunks of all shapes. Long silver ones, gold circular ones, wooden trunks inlaid with gold and rubies and even one that looked as if it was made purely from diamond. In a clearing in the centre of the room, beneath an ornate diamond chandelier, stood an elaborately carved mahogany desk.

The simplicity of the polished oak box sitting upon it caught Harry's eye and he immediately crossed over to the desk. Upon opening the box, he found two letters addressed to him, a badge with the same engravings as the vault door and a piece of aged parchment. Picking up the box, Harry decided that he would have a look at its contents when he was back in his bedroom. He also took two rubies from the overflowing pile and restocked his money bag. The rubies he was planning to get made into necklaces as Christmas presents for Hermione and Ginny.

With one last look at his newly acquired inheritance, Harry exited the vault and made his way out of Gringotts. After dropping the rubies off at the jewellers, he activated the portkey that took him back to Privet Drive.

Settling himself on his bed, Harry opened the box, not without some trepidation. He took out the letters and was surprised to find that they were from his parents. The first one was from Lily. It read:

Dear Harry,

I hope with all my heart that you never read this. I am writing it just after the Fidelius charm was performed on Peter. If you are reading it, it means my suspicions were correct. I fervently hope that this is not the case and that my doubts about Peter are unjustified.

If you are reading this, then my heart goes out to you, my son. My only wish is that you don't let the prophecy rule your life. Harry, there is something you need to know. When a person is born, a number between 0 and 100 flashes on their forehead.

This number is the person's magical power level. For a muggle, it is between 0 and 15. For the average wizard, it is between 35 and 50. Squibs have a power level between 20 and 30. You should note that muggles can't see this number when it does flash. We have it on good authority that Voldemort's power level is 90 while Dumbledore's is 88.

Harry, please don't lose you head at what I'm about to say.

Your power level is 100.

YOU'RE KIDDING ME!
Harry screamed silently to himself. There is no bloody way I'm more powerful than Dumbledore and Riddle! Remembering what his mother said, Harry took a deep breath. When that didn't work, he took several more until he felt considerably calmer. Then he continued reading the letter.

No, you didn't read it wrong. You really are more powerful than Dumbledore and Voldemort. For this reason, we had to lock away most of your power until your body is ready to handle it. It will be unlocked on your sixteenth birthday.

Please try not to think about this too much and remember that your father and I love you with all our hearts.

Mum


Harry stared at the letter unable to believe what he had read. Still in denial he turned to the second letter and opened it.

Dear Harry,

Just like your mother, I hope you will never read this letter. I suppose she's explained about your power and I think I know what you're thinking. I wish this weren't the case, but you are the only one who can defeat Voldemort. You can't change your destiny, Harry, no matter how unfair it is.

Son, I have a favour to ask. There is a man, Severus Snape, whom I used to know. Well, in our youth, my friends and I were somewhat arrogant. Scratch that, we were assholes. Severus was our victim more than once and some of the pranks we pulled were downright cruel and heartless.

I wanted to apologise, but the opportunity never arose and this is not something you do in a letter. Harry, should you ever encounter Severus, I would like you to apologise to him for me. I am truly sorry to thrust this upon you, but a Potter never neglects his responsibilities.

Now, about this prophecy. I feel like slaughtering that Trelawney woman, but it isn't her fault. I wish I could be there to offer you comfort, but all I can say is keep your head high and your friends close.

There is one more thing I have to tell you. The badge is a portkey to the Potter family mansion. To activate it you have to touch it and say, 'Take me home'. The parchment is a map of the mansion. It activates at the will of a true Potter.

You may be wondering why your mother and I didn't stay at the mansion. There is no easy way to say this; your great great grandfather was Grindewald. I didn't stay at the mansion for the simple reason that my parent's didn't approve of Lily. Even though they died before you were born, I didn't see the need to return there.

I think you will like it though. It has excellent grounds for playing Quidditch and it's probably safer than Hogwarts with all the protections our ancestors put on it, which means that the Ministry can't detect any underage magic that takes place there. See, told you you'd like it.

Again I say, don't worry about the prophecy and try to live your life to its fullest. Your mother and I love you very much.

Dad


Harry felt tears prick at his eyes and spill over onto his face. After a long while, he grabbed the map and badge from the box. Stowing the map in his pocket, he whispered,

"Take me home," and felt the familiar tug behind his navel.

Harry found himself standing in front of a huge castle. They call this a mansion? Harry thought incredulously, it's more like a palace! Looking around, he found himself standing in immaculately kept grounds. A long stone path led the way to the castle from a pair of magnificent wrought iron gates. A lion, badger, snake and eagle formed part of the pattern on the gates. Lining the path leading to the house were hedges neatly trimmed into the shapes of the four animals and also Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Merlin, Helga Hufflepuff and Salazar Slytherin. Every kind of flower you could possibly imagine was attractively arranged in neat beds and patterns across the vast expanse of lawn. The bright sunlight gave the whole area a feeling of peace and cheerfulness.

Elegant marble stairs led the way to the impressive bronze doors of the castle entrance. The engravings on the doors were the same as those on the badge and the entrance to the Potter family vault. As Harry started walking up the stairs, the doors swung magically open to reveal a tall man with jet black hair and equally dark eyes standing in the entrance hall. His skin was the colour of milk chocolate and he bowed gracefully as Harry approached.

"Welcome back, My Lord," the man said.

"Thanks," Harry replied, looking around the entrance hall. It was large and beautifully decorated in white marble, peach and gold. Elaborate oak doors led to different rooms and an impressive, branching oak staircase was situated in the centre of the hall. Running down the middle of it was a plush red carpet. Harry's delighted gaze returned to the man who still had his head respectfully lowered. Harry felt embarrassment washing over him at the formal treatment.

"Um, what's your name?" he asked, trying to break the ice.

"Shane, My Lord."

"Well Shane, my name's Harry. Maybe you can call me that instead of My Lord. All that formality is kinda embarrassing."

"I'm afraid I cannot do that, My Lord. It is disrespectful for a servant to call a master by his first name."

Harry frowned.

"Well, how about we ditch the whole servant/master thing and just be friends? That way you have to call me Harry."

Shane looked at Harry with glistening eyes.

"Friends?" he asked, "I'd like that very much."

"Great, so how 'bout you show me round this place? It looks awesome!" Harry turned on the full power of his lopsided grin and saw the man respond immediately.

"Follow me, Harry." Shane said, smiling. For the rest of the day the two continued to explore the wonders of the fortress that was Potter Mansion.


Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear