Search:

SIYE Time:14:18 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Thank You For The... Er...
By Feral Black Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Summer Challenge (2005-4)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 8
Summary: Ginny is in prison. Ron is terrified of a bird. Molly has allergies. And what is going on with Harry's gift?
Hitcount: Story Total: 4160







ChapterPrinter





A/N Hope you enjoy my odd sense of humor! Please review!


Disclaimer Harry Potter and related material are the property of J.K.R. No copyright infringment is intended by this non-profit story.



With one last vain attempt to smooth his hair, Harry opened the door to the Burrow. In his right hand was a bouquet of daisies and in his left, a wrapped package. Both were gifts for Ginny, for her birthday was only a day away.


Ginny had written to Harry earlier in the summer. When he hadn’t replied, (as he hadn’t felt inclined to replying to anyone) she had sent him a second letter. This one shot ink at his face, and he promptly responded to it. They continued to write to each other, and Harry often received a new letter every day. After two weeks of this, Hedwig began leaving dead mice in Harry’s bed. His next letter had requested that they use Pigwidgeon every now and then.


Ginny’s constant reminders to be happy, to not blame himself, and to live as Sirius would have wanted him to had been very helpful for Harry. He had begun to tell Ginny his deepest secrets and darkest fears, and she had done the same.


When he’d learned that her fifteenth birthday was on August 11th, he had written to ask her parents permission to come over. They had agreed to come for him, but when they were five hours late, Harry decided to pack his things and take the Knight Bus. After a painfully bumpy ride, the highlight of which was flying from his seat and landing on an elderly witch while taking a sharp turn, Harry was glad to carry his things the rest of the way.


Now that he had finally arrived at the Burrow, things were not as he had expected. The whole Weasley family, and Hermione, were racing through the house in a frantic manner. Arthur stuck his head into the flue. Bill, Charlie, and George were writing franticly. Ron and Hermione were trying to catch Pigwidgeon, who was flying freely from room to room. Fred and Molly, coming from opposite directions, ran into Harry. The tulips flew from his hand, spraying Molly’s face with rose petals.


“Oh, Harry dear, I’m so sorry. We were going to come get you but—” Her sentence died and she coughed up several daffodil petals.


“Ginny’s missing Harry!” Fred finished for her. “We haven’t seen her in nearly three days! And… well, look!” He was pointing frantically at the Weasley family clock, and Ginny’s hand was pointed at ‘In Trouble.’ “By the way,” Fred continued as he helped Harry up, “you shouldn’t have brought the carnations. Mum’s allergic.” Molly’s face reddened and she hurried to the bathroom.


Harry set Ginny’s present on the table in the kitchen and Bill, who had finished writing, fixed Harry’s ruined violets with a wave of his wand.


“These lupines are for Ginny, I imagine. Oh, I just hope she’s all right. We haven’t heard anything from her since she went shopping a few days ago.” Harry noticed a piece of parchment lying on the table.


“What’s that, Bill?”


“Oh, nothing important. Some owl dropped it off earlier, snapped at us when we tried to take it, and flew off. He bit Ron, and next thing you know the little guy was curled up on the floor, bleeding from his right hand, and crying like a baby.”


“Hey!” Ron said as he entered the room, carrying a struggling Pigwidgeon. “I did not cry like a baby! I screamed like a girl! Wait, that didn’t come out right. Oh, forget it! I need to tie your letters onto this bloody owl!”


Harry let Hedwig out of her cage to help in the cause. He was beginning to feel very worried for Ginny. As he passed the kitchen table again, the parchment caught his eye. Upon further inspection, he found it to be blank. Picking it up, he flipped it over, but the other side was, likewise, blank. He was about to drop it when he saw blue ink spread across its surface, leaving a message in its wake.


Harry,
I need your help, but you have to come alone. Don’t let anyone know where you’re going. I am being held in Holloway Castle. It’s at the end of Parkhurst Road in the Muggle Borough of Islington in London. If you leave the Leaky Cauldron, you can get to the street by cab. Please help me, Harry.
Ginny


The note was written in Ginny’s hand, which Harry had come to know well over the summer. He dropped the parchment, and the message faded. So, it was intended only for him… Harry began to worry what might happen if he told anyone what the letter said. He resigned himself to the fact that he would have to do this alone. Harry picked up the wrapped package and the posies from the table. After fishing through his trunk, he withdrew the few things he knew he would need. Everyone else was busy in various parts of the house, so nobody noticed Harry as he dropped his Floo powder and stepped into the fire.


“Diagon Alley!”


~ * ~



Harry sat impatiently in the cab. When it finally arrived at Parkhurst Road, he paid the driver in Muggle money he’d had converted at Gringotts. He began to race down the street toward the towering prison.


“Hey, you… boy! Visiting hours ended at three. I’m gonna have to ask you to leave!” Harry looked up to find a blonde woman in uniform walking briskly toward him. Glancing at the gate, he noticed a large sign.


Her Majesty’s Prison Holloway: All-Women Detainment Center Since 1903


“Oh, this is perfect,” Harry muttered under his breath. “I’ll blend right in.” Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out a biscuit wrapped in paper. “Sorry ma’am. Care for a biscuit?” The woman looked at him as if he was touched in the head. “I was just going for a walk, and I saw you pacing there, and I thought you might like a biscuit.” The woman’s face softened.


“Well… I suppose if you came all the way out here to give it to me.” The guard took the biscuit and bit into it. No sooner had she swallowed than she fell over, out cold. Literally. The remains of the Blizzard Biscuit burst into a flurry of snowflakes that landed on the face of the cryogenically frozen guard.


“Thank you, Fred and George, for your wonderful birthday gifts.” The package they had sent him for his birthday had been filled with new inventions, all of them marked as highly dangerous, although they assured him the effects of all their inventions were temporary.


Harry slipped under his invisibility cloak. Using the now repaired knife given to him by Sirius years ago, he picked the lock to the front gate and made short work of entering the prison. Unfortunately, the building was as big from the inside as it looked from the outside.


After pausing to think for a moment, Harry headed into a hall to his right marked with a sign that read Highly Dangerous: Proceed With Caution! For some reason, it made sense to Harry that a fifteen-year-old girl would have to do something very terrible to get locked up in prison. Sure enough, after unlocking several thick, metal doors, Harry came to a cell that held a young, crying redhead. Harry made sure that there was nobody else around before making himself known.


“Anybody order a jailbreak?” Tears still clinging to her face, Ginny raised her head from her lap. Harry was taken aback by her beauty. But it was Ginny! Ginny, who’d had a silly crush on him for years. Ginny, who had sent him a valentine song via dwarf. Ginny, who… had been understanding and caring all summer. Harry shook his head, unlocked her cell, and removed the cloak.


“Harry!” Ginny leapt up and flung herself at Harry. She wrapped her arms around his neck and clung to him, as if afraid that she would fall if she let go. “Thank you, Harry! Thank you so much!” Ginny released him and stepped back. Harry took the opportunity to pull out her flowers and gift.


“Here, Ginny, these are for you. The flowers you can have now, but the present is for tomorrow.”


“Oh, Harry! How did you know lilacs are my favorite?” She took the narcissuses and, leaning up on tiptoe, kissed Harry’s cheek. She giggled quietly. “My hero.”


“Not just yet,” Harry replied. “I still need to get you out of here.” Harry smiled, feeling oddly warm. “Then maybe you can thank me properly.” Ginny raised her eyebrows, but smiled nonetheless. The atmosphere was suddenly ruined with the appearance of a guard. Before the woman saw them, Harry threw his cloak over Ginny.


“Hey!” The woman ran to confront him. “How did you get in here?”


“Er… the door was open. I, er… work here. I clean recently vacated cells.” Harry knew his story sounded pathetic. He could feel Ginny clinging tightly to his arm.


“Well, this cell looks clean. Keep up the good work.” With that, the guard left. Five full seconds of silence followed her absence before Harry and Ginny burst out laughing. Harry quickly slipped under the cloak. No sooner had he vanished beneath its folds than the guard flew back around the corner. “Wait just a minute! You… oh, he’s gone. Well, I hope he gets around to cell #258 soon. It’s starting to smell.” The guard left again, and the snickering pair of invisible friends began to make their way out.


~ * ~



On the day of Ginny’s party, she slept in late. Her family and Hermione had been relieved that she was safe at home, and they had allowed Harry and Ginny to go straight to sleep without asking questions. When Harry had risen the next morning, Arthur and Molly, who’s face was swollen, had begun an interrogation. He had assured them that he knew no more than they did. He did have trouble with one question.


“How did you know where to find her?” Hermione asked. Harry wasn’t sure how to respond without telling them about Ginny’s note, which would lead to more questions.


“I asked him to come,” Ginny answered as she came downstairs, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. On her shoulder was perched a screech owl.


“Ahhhh!” Ron dove over the couch in an effort to hide. “Keep that monster away from me!” Ginny snickered, her expression reflecting uncertainty as to why the owl would scare Ron.


“What do you mean, Ginny?” her father asked. “And where did the owl come from?”


“I was captured while shopping. I don’t know who did it; I only saw a few of them, and even then, it was over quickly. They locked me up in a cell. They wouldn’t let me write to you. But then, this amazing bird,” Ron twitched involuntarily, “flew in through a window. He had a parchment and a quill, but no ink.


“I soon found that the quill could write… but only what the parchment would let me. I tried to write to you, but nothing happened. I tried, but it would only let me address it to Harry. After I had written the note, the words vanished. This bird took it and flew off.”


“Hawwy,” Molly tried to ask with her swollen tongue, “ith you got thith methage, why didn’t you tell uth?”


“I was worried for you,” Harry answered truthfully, “and for Ginny. I thought that, since the letter could only be read by me, something bad might happen if I shared its contents with anyone. Or maybe Ginny would be hurt if anyone else came for her.” Molly nodded.


“I underthtand. I jutht can’t thank you enough thor rethcuing our daughter.” Molly began to cry, and Arthur held her.


“Er, Mum, Dad?” Molly and Arthur looked up at Ginny. “This owl… it was in my room when I got back last night. He still hasn’t left. Can I, er… keep him?” Ron blanched.


“No! There is no way I’m living with that bloody bird!”


“Ron! Watch your language!” Mr. Weasley scolded. Ron looked down at his feet. “Of course you can Ginny. Just remember, if it does have an owner, it may leave at any time.” Ginny grinned and stroked the owl, and it hooted contentedly in reply.


“Thanks, Dad! I think I’ll call him Dionysus, because he’s so mysterious.” Ron rolled his eyes. Ginny, smiling maliciously, whispered something to Dionysus. The owl took off and made a beeline for Ron’s head. Ron ran screaming from the room, Hermione following in hot pursuit.


~ * ~



That evening, after cake and presents, and after Bill, Charlie, and the twins had left, Ginny met Harry in Charlie’s old room where he was now staying.


“You asked to see me, Harry?” she inquired, sitting next to him on the bed.


“Yeah,” Harry replied, taking out his present, a small rectangular box. “But before I give you my present, I want to ask you something. Why were you arrested?” Ginny gave him a devious smile.


“Would you believe me if I said I heartlessly attacked an elderly lady who was shopping for underpants?” Ginny asked.


“Er…”


“My sentiments exactly. Apparently, when an old lady has a heart attack and dies in your general proximity, you are responsible. Eyewitnesses insisted I attacked her with a baseball bat.”


“They put you in high security for that? Not that the security was really all that great…”


“Which reminds me,” Ginny said with a smile. “I still need to ‘thank you properly,’ don’t I?” Harry wasn’t sure if she was being serious or not, but all doubt was washed from his mind as her lips closed over his. He felt a sharp tingle of electricity, and he would have pulled back in surprise if it didn’t feel so perfect.


His hands found their way into her hair. Harry deepened the kiss, relishing the taste of Ginny’s tongue. It was nothing like kissing Cho. It was… real.


Harry slowly pulled away and handed Ginny the present.


“Thank you for being such a wonderful friend, Ginny.” She opened the box to find a chain of white gold with a teardrop peridot pendant. Ginny looked up, smiling.


“My birthstone… Thank you, Harry. For the necklace. For rescuing me.” She leaned in to kiss him again, but just before she did, added, “And thank you for the lilies, Harry.”


Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear