Search:

SIYE Time:1:57 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Holiday Dreaming
By sugarbear68

- Text Size +

Category: Dream Adventure Challenge (2005-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: A return trip on the Express finds several Hogwart's friends dreaming a little dream of holidays-that-could-be.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3471







ChapterPrinter


Title: Holiday Dreaming

Disclaimer: I am not J.K. Rowling, nor do I play her on TV. Therefore, I did not invent this fabulous universe. So being said, I am not deriving any form of payment for my dabbling within her world outside any reviews you may feel like offering. In other words; not my world, not getting paid, don’t sue me.

################################### #######

The gentle, rhythmic sway of the Hogwart’s Express had lulled most of the occupants of the train compartment into a calm and relaxed state. Although they had just completed another successful year in school, it had had it’s moments of terror and tension. All were hoping to catch a bit of peace and calm during this journey before the inevitable cacophony and chaos of King’s Cross Station and the start of summer.

Harry was propped in a corner of the carriage, his head listing steadily to the side, caught in that glorious moment of half-sleep, half-wake, having tired of watching Ron and Neville staking their silent yet vigorous battle over the chess board. It had been a surprise to all when during the Christmas holidays Neville had offered to take Harry’s place at the chess board. Neville claimed it was to halt Ron’s incessant whining about Harry not giving him a “real game.” Ron had given a disbelieving snort when Neville muttered something about a “run for his money for a change.” However, his derision quickly turned to challenge when Neville opened the game with a fairly sophisticated gambit. Before long, the few students who remained in Gryffindor tower over the holidays were gathered around the chess board watching Ron Weasley take his first real thrashing at Wizard Chess in his Hogwarts career. Ginny cajoled Neville during the game into confessing that his Gran felt that Wizard Chess was one of the few games that were of any use and, even when the family despaired of Neville having any real magically power, she taught him not just the fundamentals but the nuances and tricks of the game. This past summer she had even admitted that, outside of his long-deceased grandfather, Neville was the only person to best her in nearly 50 years. A feat even his father, the renowned auror, had never accomplished. Somehow, Ron managed to salvage some of his pride by playing to a draw after three hours of intense battle.

Luna and Hermione were on the other side of the carriage sitting near the door. The two witches were engaged in a debate over the existence of some creature or another. Ginny had been involved in the conversation until it dissolved into a “does so” “does not” battle. Rather than get pulled into the argument and have to take sides between her friends, she pulled out a battered copy of Shakespeare’s Collected Works. Her father had given her the Muggle volume two summers prior and she had nearly worn the book out since reading and re-reading favorite sonnets and acts of plays. She gravitated towards the comedies, as she found some of the tragedies striking a little to close to the drama of real life in the wizarding world at the time.

Harry was startled out of his stupor by a rapping at the door of the carriage. Hermione reached over and slid the door open revealing Seamus and Lavender. “Just wanted to pop by for a few minutes to chat, if that’s ok?”

“Sure, Lavender. Come on in but watch out for the battlefield over there,” invited Ginny inclining her head toward the two intense Gryffindor’s at the chess board. “Hey, Seamus.”

“They’re at it again?” inquired Lavender.

“Yeah, they said they wanted to get one more match in before their brains turned to mush over the summer,” chuckled Ginny.

Lavender slid in next to Ginny while Seamus sat down over by the chess board. Although he was rubbish himself at the game (no attention span whatsoever), he could appreciate the finesse shown by the other two.

Ginny and Lavender chatted quietly and were joined by Hermione and Luna after Ginny butted into their conversation with a suggestion to simply agree to disagree unless either one of them had irrefutable evidence that their opinion was fact. This suggestion effectively stifled both passionate witches as neither could prove nor disprove what were in reality simply their opinions. Ginny did happen to catch a very determined gleam in Hermione’s eye that did not bode well in the future for Luna’s opinion, but much research would be needed before that time.

“So, what kinds of plans does everyone have for the summer?” asked Lavender. “Hermione, doesn’t your family usually take some kind of fabulous trip during the summer hols?”

“Well, as it’s my last holiday before I finish Hogwarts, Mum and Dad do want to do something special. They had talked about doing a big thing next summer, but I reminded them that most likely I would be starting some kind of job this time next year, so we are mulling over a few ideas. Usually, they close down the practice for a couple of weeks, but we may make it a bit longer this year. They’ve taken in a new partner, so can leave the office for a longer stretch now without their patients feeling abandoned.”

Luna chimed in that she and her father were going on another expedition to seek out and gather unequivocal proof of the existence of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. They were going to try Denmark this year as they had had no luck the past year in Sweden.

Seamus added that he was returning to his home in Ireland and was looking forward to getting reacquainted with his Muggle friends back there and spending some time with the horses at his family farm. Although Seamus was merely adequate on a broom, on a horse he was nearly legendary in his part of the country. The previous summer Dean Thomas had visited for a few weeks and was blown away by way the Irish lad handled those huge, barely-tame beasts like they were docile ponies one encounters in the park giving rides to small children. No one believed him at first, but he had managed to catch some of Seamus’ prowess on video as proof.

“So, Lavender, how about you? What are your big plans for the summer?” asked Neville, just finishing his final gambit before putting Ron in checkmate. Lavender blushed slightly and looked across the compartment at Seamus through her eyelashes. “Well, my parents and I’ve been invited to Ireland to meet Seamus’ family. Mum and Dad are thinking of making a bit of an extended trip and really getting to know the Emerald Isle. Other than that, probably just owling friends and whatnot.”

“Ginny, what about you and Ron?” prompted Luna. Before Ginny could even draw a breath, Luna interrupted, “Oh, do you think you could pop over to our house a few times a week while Dad and I are gone. Keep an eye on things, water the plants, keep the doxies from overtaking the house and gnomes from overtaking the garden. And I guess, make sure any owl post gets rerouted to us…although most post goes directly to the Quibbler office, so that shouldn’t be too much…” Luna proceeded to drift off in her odd sort of way, which could be very disconcerting in the middle of a conversation, but was somewhat relieving when she got on one of her runaway thought trains.

Ginny giggled quietly while Ron gaped at the unusual Ravenclaw girl. How she could talk so much and appear to breathe so little was always a bit unnerving to Ron. He thought that her periodic oxygen depletion explained a lot about the slender blond.

“Well, I imagine that besides minding the place for Luna,” Ginny began with a nod to the amusing blond, “I’ll just be hanging around the Burrow, playing some Quidditch, maybe helping the twins at their store, but NOT as a test subject. Mum never seems to find an end to the list of chores either. Ron, what about you?”

“Probably, pretty much the same. Now that I can use magic legally, I hope de-gnoming the garden is easier.
Also, I want to study for and pass my apparition test.”

“Harry?” asked Lavender. “What about you? What will you be doing this summer?”

Harry lazily opened his eyes, rousing from his near-nap to reply, “Time in Purgatory,” and with that being what he thought was explanation enough, let his eyelids glide shut again.

Lavender looked around, confused, “Purgatory? Isn’t that a Muggle form of, well, Hades?” she asked hesitantly.

With a light snort, Ginny answered the confused girl, “Harry has to go to his Muggle relative’s home every summer. They are not very nice people.”

“Not very nice? Not very nice?” interrupted Ron, his voice rising in pitch and volume. “Ginny, you’ve seen those, those, those people. You’ve met them. Saying they are not very nice is like saying Fred and George are mildly amusing and can add a little light-heartedness to an event.” This statement drew chuckles from the rest of the teens in the compartment, but didn’t slow Ron from his tear. “It’s like saying that Hagrid has a passing interest in nearly-tame animals. It’s like saying that Hermione can just hold her own in classes,” at which the brunette blushed. ”It’s like saying that Harry might occasionally find himself in interesting situations,” at which everyone grimaced recalling some of the ‘interesting’ situations they were aware of in Harry’s history. “It’s like saying that … your Bat-Bogey Hex tickles.” And with that last analogy everyone in the carriage, even nearly-somnambulant Harry, but with the exception of Ginny, shuddered at the memory of her infamous Bat-Bogey and the havoc it had wreaked on more than one occasion.

Ginny threw back her head and laughed a full, clear peal while Harry watched her covertly through half-closed eyes. “Point taken, Ron, point taken. Purgatory is probably a very apt description of your time with the Dursley’s. Although, last year wasn’t as bad, was it?” Ginny inquired, directing her attention back to Harry. “I think you spent less time with them than ever before and with the warning from Remus and the others, which is sure to be repeated this year, it should be bearable. Besides, worst-case you’re just stuck until your birthday, right?”

“Yeah, I think that my penance should be up with my birthday. Most likely whether Dumbledore approves or not, I’ll be out of there then. Since Uncle Vernon learned that under out laws I’m of age at 17, he’s probably been marking the days on the calendar until he can be rid of me permanently. Hopefully, I don’t end up in the Hogwart’s hospital wing this summer like last. Although I have great respect for Madame Pomfrey and her talents and I appreciate my new private bed there with name plaque and all,” he said pointedly to Ginny with a quirk of his eyebrow, “I really would like a hospital-free summer.”

During his most recent stay in the hospital wing following a Quidditch match tangle with Malfoy, Ginny had delivered to him a wrapped gift from the entire team under the pretense of cheering him up. It was a gorgeous piece of cherry wood, polished to a high gloss, with beautiful burnished gold lettering proclaiming the bed to be one of historic interest as the frequent ‘home’ of one Harry James Potter. Although he had pretended to be mildly put out by the plaque, Harry really had appreciated the humor. It had been a long-standing joke that Madame Pomfrey was going to give him his own bed since he was such a frequent guest, so the team just made it official. As he had gazed up at the plaque, which Ginny had affixed to the wall with a Permanent Sticking Charm, ala Mrs. Black’s portrait at 12 Grimmauld Place, Harry couldn’t help but be reminded of the lovely Chaser. The hues and tones in the plaque, the variations of the reds in the cherry and the sparks of gold reflected in the words, were so reminiscent of the tones and lights in her hair, ever changing, especially when seen in the sunlight or better yet by the glow of a fire. Over the past year or so, Harry had found himself caught in such thoughts more and more often. He had grown closer to the sole Weasley daughter and, much to his initial discomfort, realized that although he thought of Ron and the Twins as the brothers he had never had, his feelings toward their sister were decidedly non-fraternal. Although he had grown more accustomed to these feelings, Harry vowed to himself that until his destined business with Voldemort was complete, he would not give voice or action to those feelings, thoughts, or occasional steamy dream which were becoming more frequent and intense. Harry was startled out of his mental wanderings by a snort or laughter from Hermione. He realized that he had fallen silent and was staring at Ginny rather intensely. To cover his rising blush, Harry ran his hand through his eternally-messy black hair and with a shrug and he let his fall shut again offered, “Maybe I’ll take a flat for the last month. That would be really great. No one to answer to. No one yelling…” and with that Harry apparently drifted off into thought.

“That’s an idea, Harry,” mused Ginny, getting caught up in an idea. “We’ve all talked about what we will be doing this summer, but what would everyone do if you could do anything, go anywhere? If money, knowledge, skill, You-Know-Who,” the mention of whom brought a shiver of fear from several present but Ginny continued undeterred, “were not an issue? What would you do?” Everyone in the compartment fell into a slight reverie, silent contemplation, mulling over the idea. What if there were no limits, no restrictions? Each within their own minds dreaming their secret dream.

The train compartment gave a bit of a lurch as it exited the last big stretch of curving track before entering the city. This strange motion after such along stretch of gentle movement effectively jarred the carriage occupants from their personal reverie and thoughts. With a small trill of laughter, Ginny looked around and asked, “My, haven’t we all been quiet for a while. So, does anyone want to share any of their oh-so-intense thoughts?” As she looked around the room, she noticed a few sidelong glances between some of the teens accompanied by matching blushes. ‘Interesting,’ thought Ginny to herself, ‘I bet those dreams were much more interesting than anyone is willing to admit.’ Then feeling the blush rise in her own cheeks a bit she silently mused, ‘Of course, not that I’d be willing to tell all of mine either.’

Seamus spoke up first. “That was really strange. It was almost like I had a dream. I pictured myself taming and riding wild stallions out in the western states in America. I’ve read about the ranches out there with acres and acres of land where the horses nearly run free. Some have been tamed, but some are essentially still wild, mustangs they call them. I could see myself tossing the lasso to rope one, drawing him closer, calming him with words and touch. Over time, I developed enough trust with him that I could put a blanket on his back and a bit in his mouth. Eventually, he allowed me to ride him. I calmed him but he was not really tame. Any ride was by his choice not mine. In fact, on one ride, he decided that I was done just as we reached a small river.” Lavender gasped, “Were you hurt?” “Are you kidding? I went in head first; I was soaked to the bone!” At this pronouncement, everyone burst into laughter.

Luna piped up next. “Seamus, you were so right. I just had a...a…well, it was like a dream or vision. Did someone cast a Wakeful Dream charm on the compartment?” Everyone shook their head in the negative after the inquiry from the Ravenclaw girl. “All right then, my dream was of an adventure like I take with my dad, only he wasn’t there. I was alone in this beautiful glade. There was a nice lake surrounded by the most glorious flowers of bright blue and gold. I could feel all kinds of magical creatures around me but could find any of them. It was like they were obscured or something. I tried to reveal them and clear my vision, but there was so much magical energy surrounding them, my wand wouldn’t even work.”

“That sounds a bit scary to me,” offered Lavender.

“No, that’s what is so strange. Even though I couldn’t see anything but could feel them, they weren’t frightening at all. It was so peaceful and calm. I felt safe and protected, like nothing could possibly come there and harm me. Not being able to use magic was just inconvenient, not intrusive. All in all, it was very wonderful. It would be great to really encounter something like that.”

Hermione found herself still somewhat lost in thought about her dream holiday. After Luna commented about not being able to use her magic, it dawned on Hermione that her entire scenario didn’t include magic at all. Upon reflection, Hermione decided that maybe her holiday dream did include some magic, just not the kind they were learning in classes. Her ideal holiday consisted of sitting on a beach in the south of France, listening to the waves crashing, feeling the gentle sea breeze blowing across her sun-warmed skin. Sitting on a stretch of blinding golden sand; no books, no telephones, no strangers. Just sitting on a secluded section of sand in a bikini of red, Weasley-hair red; basking in the warmth, holding hands with Ron. With that remembrance, she shot a glance at Ron, wishing she could just sit with him that way. Maybe some day.

“Ron, earth to Ron. Are you here or are you still caught up in your fantasy?” teased Ginny.

“Very funny, sister of mine. Why don’t you share your holiday scheme?” Ron poked back at her.

“No, that’s quite alright. I’m really curious about that big, stupid grin on your face. What was your holiday dream? A whole cart full of Chocolate Frogs and an anti-belly ache charm? Because, brother-of-mine, very few things besides food put a smile like that on your face,” jabbed Ginny, with a little cut glace toward Hermione.

Ron’s ears promptly started his famous Weasley flush, with the back of his neck quickly joining the game. “Be careful who you take the Mickey with sister, dear. Some here may be gentleman enough to not go for payback, but not me, as you well know” added Ron with his own eye cut toward the apparently-drowsing Harry. Ginny shot a hard glare at her brother before dropping her eyes in acquiesance.

“If you have to know, my thoughts were not about food. I was flying. Actually, it was more than just flying. I was at a special summer camp for Quidditch players. I was flying practice with the National Team. They were having some kind of pre-eligibility training camp. There were Quidditch players from all over who were not out of school yet but were interested in someday going professional. There I was, in the air with some of the greatest players, getting Keeping tips and strategy ideas from the pros and coaches. Ginny, you were there, too. Catriona McCormack from the Hollyhead Harpies was personally giving you pointers on how to improve your game. And Harry, you were there. You and Krum were racing for the Snitch and he was teaching you some other feints…when you weren’t giving him pointers on spectacular catches. The stands were full. Bill, Charlie, and Hermione were all there cheering for us. Charlie was saying it wasn’t fair that this hadn’t been around when he was still Seeking. It was heaven…” and with that, Ron trailed off into thoughts again with a stupid grin plastered to his face.

Ginny chanced a glance at the boy of her dreams and was stunned; the look of serenity on his face was breathtaking. She hesitated asking him his thoughts, not wanting to interrupt such a moment of peace in his turmoil-filled life.

But as she hesitated, Lavender caught the direction of her gaze. “Harry, you look like you’re pretty pleased with where your thoughts are wandering. Care to share?”

With a gentle smile, Harry opened his eyes. He looked toward Lavender and gave a small grin before transferring his emerald gaze to Ginny. “It was fantastic. I was driving in this great red sports car with the convertible top down. The winds was blowing, nice and cool through the car, as I zipped down this coastal motorway. The cliffs and ocean were on one side of the road and there were just miles of meadows on the other. No other cars on the road, just us, driving like the wind, throttle opened all the way up.”

Seamus, having been raised half-and-half and having an appreciation for automobiles jumped in, “How fast were you going?”

Harry responded with a chuckle, “No idea. The gauge was broken so I couldn’t tell.”

Lavender, every curious and looking for a bit of gossip to carry through the summer quickly asked, “Us? You said us. Us implies more than just yourself. Who were you out speeding with, Mr. Potter? Was it a she?”

Indulgently, Harry answered, “Yes, Lavender. I was not alone and my companion was female.” And with that, Harry fell silent again with a mischievous smile on his face.

“If you say that Hedwig was riding in that car with you, I’ll know you are trying to hide something.” responded Lavender, getting agitated.

“No, not Hedwig,” said Harry. He looked around the train car, taking in the look of anticipation on the faces of his friends, with his glance landing on Ginny last. “It was…”

And before Harry could finish his sentence, the train jerked to its final stop at King’s Cross Station.

Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear