Search:

SIYE Time:21:01 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Like a Ship Blown from it's Moorings
By knightwhosaysni

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: With a cheer, and a toss of black pointed hats, The Class of 1998 were officially graduates.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3659







ChapterPrinter


Like a Ship Blown from it’s Moorings....
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hermione Granger woke to the early morning sun shining proudly in the sky. She got up silently and padded down to the Small kitchenette that came standard with the Head Girl and Boy dorms. After brewing herself a cup of tea, she walked over to the open window, leaning in her ‘spot’ on the sill, indicated by the worn indentations where her elbows rested currently. She sipped at her steaming tea, surveying the grounds of the place she had called home for the past seven years.


And so we talked all night about the rest of our lives
Where we're gonna be when we turn 25
I keep thinking times will never change
Keep on thinking things will always be the same
But when we leave this year we won't be coming back
No more hanging out cause we're on a different track
And if you got something that you need to say
You better say it right now cause you don't have another day




“Graduation day, Granger.” A cool voice said from the opposite side of the room. For once, Malfoy’s voice held no malice, no superiority, no coldness; only neutrality.

And he spoke the truth. The day Hermione had been dreaming of and dreading for the whole year. Not even the looming NEWTs could shake her as much as the thought of leaving her home did.



Cause we're moving on
And we can't slow down
These memories are playing
Like a film without sound
And I keep thinking of that night in June
I didn't know much of love
But it came too soon
And there was me and you
And then we got real blue
Stay at home talking on the telephone with me
We'd get so excited, we'd get so scared
Laughing at our selves thinking life's not fair
And this is how it feels




“Mmm.” She agreed calmly, gesturing to the other cup of tea she had left for him on the table. He joined her by the window. It had been a silent agreement, for her to make the early, wake-up tea, while he had made the late night, oh-crap-that-essay-is-due-tomorrow-tea. She guessed they both realized that they just couldn’t keep up the constant feuding and deal with their normal lives. It just couldn’t stay this way forever, and she knew it. She just wished that her life here in Hogwarts could stay forever.



As we go on
We remember
All the times we
Had together
And as our lives change
Come whatever
We will still be
Friends Forever




At the beginning of First year, Graduation was the furthest thing from her mind. All she could think of were new books to read, things to learn, and morals to digest.

She never thought at all about friends until she met Ron and Harry.

Ron and Harry taught her to loosen up. To enjoy life as it comes. To Put studying off ‘one more night’ and have a butterbeer. That house elves ENJOYED their job. To never trust anything off a Slytherin’s robe, and that everything has many layers.

Hogwarts had taught her much, from the normal potions and spells to the ways to distinguish times when it’s best to be truthful, and when it’s ok to blur the lines a bit. As she perfected her spells, she perfected her life with her friends. As she discovered different magical creatures, she discovered her flaws and openly laughed at them. Hogwarts made her grow up and become a kid all at once.



So if we get the big jobs
And we make the big money
When we look back now
Will our jokes still be funny?
Will we still remember everything we learned in school?
Still be trying to break every single rule
I keep, I keep thinking that it's not goodbye
Keep on thinking it's a time to fly
And this is how it feels




Looking back over the grounds, She saw Hagrid’s hut, the well worn path that Harry and she took when feeding Grawp, the Quidditch pitch where all of them went through a lot, the steps to the Great Hall where they all took their first steps into this world. Then came the emotional places. The tangled meadow where Sirius’ tombstone lay. The field where Ron and her shared their first kiss. The tree by which they broke up. The lake, where Draco found her, and they came to the unspoken truce. The stone wall, where she did her thinking when not at the lake. She was going to miss Hogwarts.




Will we think about tomorrow like we think about now?
Can we survive it out there?
Can we make it somehow?
I guess I thought that this would never end
And suddenly it's like we're women and men
Will the past be a shadow that will follow us 'round?
Will these memories fade when I leave this town
I keep, I keep thinking that it's not goodbye
Keep on thinking it's a time to fly






- - - - - - -

Ron woke to the splashing of the Giant Squid, and shoved himself out of bed to shut the windows so he could sleep some more. I mean, come on, it’s my last day, you’d think.... he stopped dead, arms half way stretched out the window. It was his last day. No more Hogwarts. No more Great Hall. No more all-nighters at the Library with Harry and Hermione. Ron went down to the Common room and sat in the chair by the fire, thinking of all the ‘no more’s.

No more sneaking out to the Forbidden Forest under Harry’s invisibility cloak. No more Yule Balls. No more Late night parties after a quidditch victory. It’s all.... gone.




Another turning point
A fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist
Directs you where to go
So make the best of this test
And don’t ask why
It’s not a question
But a lesson learned in time
It’s something unpredictable
But in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life





He’d never fall asleep in History of Magic, or bash Snape’s latest assignment again. He couldn’t ever take a dive into the Great Lake in the middle of the night again. Nor could he slide down the banister with Harry and Hermione. No more yelling at Ginny to finish her homework. No more taunting Malfoy and baiting the other Slytherins. Sprinting down the corridor when they were late for class, writing so much that his fingers would go numb, it wasn’t going to happen again. Never visit Sirius every Saturday. Or draw team quidditch strategies in the sand of the Lake before scraping them away with the toe of his shoe and writing a completely new one that took him hours to come up with. No more McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, Trelawny, Snape, Dumbledore. No more Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, Divination, Potions, Defense Against the Dark arts, Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies.... no more classes.

No more Golden Trio.



So take the photographs
And still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf of
Good health and good time
Tattoos of memories
And dead skin on trial
For what it’s worth
It was worth all the while
It’s something unpredictable
But in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life





At this thought, Ron fell back into the chair with his eyes closed. He’d been contemplating this for some time, now. Ever since that fateful day where he met Harry on the train and Hermione joined them, he’d thought that they’d stay friends forever. See each other daily. Eat dinner together. But he knew that couldn’t happen. Harry was becoming an Auror, Mione’s gonna be a Mediwitch, and he... well, he wasn’t sure.

Don’t get him wrong, he’s been offered about twenty different spots on different Quidditch teams. He just.... both of his friend were doing something important, something that mattered, he just wanted to do the same.



It’s something unpredictable
But in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life





He originally thought that he wanted to be an auror, but then he realized that the job wasn’t cut out for him. Then the prospect of joining the Ministry of Magic had crossed his mind, but he didn’t think that he’d like it, nor did he think he’d be good at it. Then Quidditch, but he didn’t want to do something he didn’t love with his whole heart.

-----------

Harry was scuffing around in sand around the Lake when dawn claimed the sky. He was up before the sun, and would be far past it’s setting. He had a lot to think about.

Hogwarts had been his home, his safe haven, his life for seven years. From Hogsmede weekends to The Department of Mysteries, it all started in Hogwarts. And he was going to miss it.



I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are




Hogwarts was where he learned about magic, where he laughed and jumped and dove and splashed with friends new and old. Where he slept on tables, chairs, floors, and the occasional bed. Where he never knew what the year was going to throw his way. Hogwarts was where he met his past and where he found his future.

Returning to Hogwarts was the only certain thing in life for him these past few years. Well, that, and going back to the Dursleys, but even that stopped last summer.




15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live
I'm 33 for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm a they



Harry had been forced to grow up too fast, and this was just now showing the effect on him. Instead of the carefree, smiling expression most ware during their seventeenth year, Harry had a constant frown adorning his features, a perpetual wrinkle in between his brows. His eyes held pain and loss, his hands were scarred, and so was his soul.

He had seen so much death and destruction in his short lifetime, that there were many doubts on his part that he would ever heal completely. But his friends had helped him through it. They had taken part of his pain and his loss, and carried it as their own.

And now they were leaving. Forever.
He was leaving her. Forever.




I'm 45 for a moment
The sea is highAnd I'm heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life
15 there's still time for you
Time to buy, Time to lose yourself
Within a morning star
15 I'm all right with you
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live





Harry came upon the rock by which Ron and he had spent much time coming up with quidditch plays. And the tree where He and malfoy finally came to a truce not to go at each other’s throats. The little inlet where he had saved his godfather, only to let him die two years later. Harry sat down hard on the shore of the inlet and leaned against the rough bark of the tree at the memory of his godfather.

Another burden Hermione, Ron, and even Ginny had helped him bear. Harry had nearly gone mad when Sirius had gone through the veil, but his friends had held him anchored and safe against the pull of the dangerous tide. He could never forgive himself if anything happened to them now, which is why he had decided to become an auror. That way, he could keep them all safe.




Half time goes by
Suddenly you’re wise
Another blink of an eye
67 is gone
The sun is getting high
We're moving on...
I'm 99 for a moment
Dying for just another moment
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are



Harry threw a decent sized rock into the lake, and flinched slightly when the water retaliated and splashed him. The cold shock of water sent him reeling back to the present. But all that could come to mind were a set of warm chocolate eyes, the smell of strawberries, and fiery red locks.




15 there's still time for you
22 I feel her too
33 you’re on your way
Every day's a new day...
15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to choose
Hey 15, there's never a wish better than thisWhen you only got 100 years to live.




Ginny.... gods. The name alone was enough to bring Harry to his knees. He’s loved her for some time now, but couldn’t confront her. She’d made it clear on that horrible day at the Department of Mysteries that she did not love him. Not anymore. And it was that day that Harry realized what he had lost. What he wanted back. Ginny.

Now was not the time to worry over never seeing Hogwarts again. Now was not the time to get caught up in memories. Not the time to think about how he was going to survive. Not the time to cry about lost times. Now is the time to find Ginny to hug her and beg forgiveness for all that he’s done. To explain about his past actions. To explain about his current feelings.

Now was the time to tell Ginny how much he loved her.

- - - - - - - -

Draco was awake in his bed for hours, contemplating what this day meant for him.



You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold



For all his pompousness and sneering from first to Sixth year, Draco had never truly had a friend. The Slytherins followed him like sick dogs, his father’s “friends’” sons what didn’t go to Hogwarts left him well enough alone, and the rest of Hogwarts despised him. Until he became head boy.



So she took her love
For to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold
Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous skyAs we lie in the fields of gold




Up front, Hermione had come up to him and told him that if they had to share a common room, they were going to have to stop attacking each other every chance they get. She also told him that if he was willing to look below the Muggle Born surface, she would try to see beyond his mini-Lucius mask. That was the first chance anyone had given him, and he jumped at it. Soon enough, he and Hermione had become... dare he say it... friends of sorts.



See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold
I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in the fields of gold
We'll walk in the fields of gold




First the younger Weasley, Ginny, found out, and welcomed Draco with open arms, along with HER friend, Luna Lovegood. Draco assumed that Hermione had pleaded with them before hand, but the two were sincere enough to understand.
Then, older Weasley and Potter had found out about them supposedly being friends. It took Potter a while, but he came to terms with it soon enough. It had taken Weasley longer, and he still wasn’t completely comfortable around Draco, but, then again, neither was Draco. he could see why it took them all so long to get used to him. Who wouldn’t, when you are the son of Voldemort’s right hand man?


Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold
You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in the fields of gold



Now all of them, from Potter to Hermione, were leaving. Draco was going into the ministry, and everyone else was going in different directions. He had only had his friends for a year, and now they went in their different directions.

They had protected him from his father just three months ago, all five of them. They had saved hm from the fate that his father had intended for him, and in so doing, broke one of the most powerful bonds Draco had with that life.

Hogwarts had protected him too. Ever since second year, his father had been banned from Hogwarts. There was a small reprieve during fifth year, but it held firm the rest of the time. And even the inside of the castle didn’t make him feel as safe as his spot. His tree. The tree where he found Hermione thinking after her breakup with Weasley, where Potter finally trusted him, where all three had protected him from the clutches of the death eaters.

Draco decided it was time to get up. Pulling on his uniform and grabbing his wand, he walked into the common room to find Hermione leaning on the window sill.

“Graduation day, Granger.” He said, expecting to startle her out of her reverie.

“Mm.” She motioned towards a cup of steaming tea she had left him and he gratefully gulped at it. After a few minutes of both of them staring out at the grounds they would have to leave forever, Draco saw a tear glistening in Hermoine’s eye, and found he himself was on the verge of tears. In a moment of extreme un-Malfoy-ness, he grabbed her up in a hug, and she returned it eagerly. Her tears began to wet his robes, and his own were dampening her hair.

“I’m going to miss you, Malfoy.” She whispered, and he replied by hugging her tighter in return.

- - - - - - -

“Witches and wizards, I give you, the Class of 1998!” Dumbledore cried, and all the seventh years filed in with smiles and tears glistening in their eyes. Among those aplauding, there were more than a few who were openly sobbing, screaming and whistling, of which Ginny was at the forefront. The Head Girl and Head boy, being Hermione and Draco, stepped up to the enchanted podium and began their speech.

“We came to Hogwarts expecting years and years of homework, projects, rivalries and quidditch matches.” Draco began. “And for the first six years, that’s what we got.” There was a chuckle from their peers.

“Hermione, or Granger, as I used to call her, and I, were one of the better known Gryffindor/Slytherin Rivals. I’d taunt, she’d taunt back. She’d yell, I’d yell back. It got extremely annoying after a while, but it was habit.”

“Then both he and I became the Heads. Everything changed. I, for one, was not ready for another year of screaming and insults.” Hermione continued. “I went right up to draco, about a week after term began, and told him that it wasn’t what I wanted. We came to an agreement. Afterwards, he even became an odd sort of friend. Then it was time to let both his and my friends up on it. Neither of our friends accepted it at first, but they soon opened up to each other.”

“We all became somewhat close knit, and I was glad. I hope you all remember the event two months ago, where the Death eaters attacked the castle. Well, their object was to retrieve all of those who are to become future death eaters. Perhaps you all notice those missing from our Slytherin house. Well, I was one of those, as much as I desperately didn’t want to be. And Hermione’s friends saved me. From Voldemort, from my father, and even from myself.”


“We miss our classmates, those who left of their own volition and those who left without a choice. Many died. Hannah Abot, Blaise Zambini, and Jack Sloper will all be missed terribly. In their memory, we wish to commemorate this years graduating class’ achievement. Every house has bonded in a way that cannot be broken now, and so, a statue has ben created by our two resident artists, Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas!” And beside the set of steps that the graduates were standing on, a marvelous statue of each house mascot intertwining with the others. Carved into the beautiful granite base were the words “House Unity.”

“Welcome to Adulthood, Guys!” Hermione and Draco cried in unison.

Harry took that split second too look at Ginny. Meeting her eyes, he felt a spark ignite within himself and he knew that Ginny had never stopped loving him, but just began that fateful day in fifth year. In that moment, Harry knew all was right with the world.

With a cheer, and a toss of black pointed hats, The Class of 1998 were officially graduates.

- - - - -

Standard Disclaimers Apply.






Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear