Search:

SIYE Time:12:41 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Gryffindor Plan
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Hogsmeade Challenge (2005-1)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 33
Summary: Valentine's Day in the Room of Requirement sounded like a good idea at the time-while things don't go quite as planned, Harry and Ginny find out sometimes love happens when you just go along for the ride.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5056







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer - I do not own any of the magical Harry Potter world.


"I HATE Valentine's Day!"

Ginny fell into a chair at the table in the Gryffindor common room, burying her head in her arms, her book bag landing with a thud beside her chair that simply screamed "O.W.L.s!"

"Bah Humbug to you too, Ginny," Hermione noted, looking up from her notes.

Ginny raised her head. "Bah what?"

"Bah humbug," Hermione explained. "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Scrooge, Tiny Tim…oh, never mind," she said, "Muggle Christmas tradition," she finished.

"Well, I wish Valentine's Day was a muggle only tradition, too!" Ginny exclaimed, hiding her face again.

"Ginny, you know how important it is to keep up morale," Hermione said reprovingly. "Students are stressed enough as it is with the increased Death Eater activities. You heard Dumbledore say it’s everyone's responsibility to ensure a good time is had by all on our Hogwarts-Hogsmeade weekend. We're all in charge of planning it and your input is valuable."

"Do you suppose we can get black roses?" came Ginny's muffled reply.

"Black roses for what?" Ron asked, as he and Harry approached the table. Ginny looked up in time to see Ron plant a kiss on Hermione's cheek and rolled her eyes.

Hermione, catching Ginny's look, sighed. "Ginny, Gryffindor has the first weekend, which is this Saturday. It's important for our house to set a good example for the other houses." Hermione paused, and then added, "Besides as a prefect, it's your obligation to go."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Ginny waived her hand dismissively at Hermione.

Annoyed, Hermione dug in. "Is this because you don't have a valentine? I mean, I know you and Dean broke up before Christmas and —"

"No, Hermione, it's not about being single!" Ginny replied, exasperated. "I simply have a lot to do and don't have time to worry about playing Cupid."

"I agree with Ginny," Harry commented, sitting down and pulling a roll of parchment and a quill from his bag.

“See, a sane person!" She said, nodding her thanks to Harry and punctuating her point with a wave of her hand.

"Yeah, another sane, SINGLE person with a stupendous record when it comes to February 14th," teased Ron.

"Oh, shut it, Ron," Harry shot back.

"Okay, Ginny," Hermione broke in. "You don't have to plan, but you DO have to go."

"Don't push it, Hermione," Ginny said sourly, and heaved her book bag onto the table.

"I'm serious," Hermione persisted.

Ginny sighed and looked around the room, searching for salvation. Her gaze landed on Harry and inspiration struck. If she was going to have to endure this, she wasn't above fixing it so she could spend the day with the one person she'd ever really wanted as a Valentine. "Alright, fine. I'll go if Harry goes with me."

"What?" Harry and Ron said simultaneously.

Hermione clapped her hands. "Brilliant! It's settled. Ginny, you are free to go wilt the roses elsewhere."

+++++

Ginny found Harry in the common room later that evening. His hands were fisted in his hair, pieces of parchment covered the tabletop, and his forehead was resting on his potions book which was open in front of him.

"Hoping it will just soak in?" Ginny teased, as she sat down across from him.

Harry groaned and looked up. "Hoping it would just go away is more like it," he replied.

"Speaking of just going away, Harry," Ginny began, guilt coloring her cheeks pink, "about this morning. I shouldn't have roped you into going to Hogsmeade with me this weekend. It's not that I'm totally against Valentine's Day, I'm just not in the mood for it this year. So, while Hermione is right and I do need to make an appearance, you are off the hook."

"Oh," Harry said, looking a little startled. "To be honest, I thought it was a good idea."

"You did?" Ginny said, surprised.

"Yeah, I mean if I stayed here, I'd get to sit in the common room with a bunch of first and second years all staring at me. Why would I want to do that when I have the opportunity to spend the day with you?" he answered, shrugging his shoulders.

Caught of guard by his reply, Ginny sat there staring at him until she realized what she was doing and managed to stammer, "Oh…well…thank you."

“My pleasure,” Harry replied.

“Well,” Ginny started, standing up, "well, uh, good night, then."

"G'night Gin."

Ginny knew she must be wearing the goofiest grin ever as she stepped backwards, catching her foot on the back leg of the chair she'd been sitting on. Arms flailing, she went backwards with a spectacular thump. Harry jumped up and looked over the table.

"I'm alright! I'm alright!" Ginny said climbing back up, her face now as red as the Gryffindor crest on her robes. "G'night, Harry."

"G'night, Gin." Harry watched her retreat up the stairs to her dorm, holding his smile in until she had disappeared. He didn't know how he'd ended up lucky enough to have the prettiest girl in school as his Valentine's Day date, but he wasn't going to question it. He just savored his good fortune and returned his attention to his potions homework.

++++

Saturday morning found Harry and Ginny walking through the door of the room of requirement and on the road to Hogsmeade, directly outside of the Hogwarts grounds. The sun shining did nothing to take the morning chill out of the air, and Ginny pulled her coat close around her. Looking toward the village, Ginny stopped.

"That's odd," she commented.

"What's odd?" Harry's asked, his eyes following Ginny’s gaze. While the road stretching out in front of them was bathed in the morning sun, the village of Hogsmeade was under a cloud, a very dark, ominous cloud.

"I don't think that was planned," Ginny noted, curiously.

"No, I suppose not," Harry agreed as he fell into step beside her.

They joined the crowd of Gryffindors headed into the village. Ginny knew the room of requirement would reflect whatever the person or people using it needed. She had wondered how so many different people would be able to come up with a consensus. Come to think of it, though, the sorting hat had seen something similar in each of them that made them all Gryffindors, so maybe that is what had won out in the end. Deciding since she hadn’t planned it, she shouldn’t critique it too closely; Ginny pushed these thoughts aside in favor of enjoying the day.

She and Harry chatted easily as they walked, Ginny complaining about the stress of O.W.L.s, Harry groaning over sixth year NEWT level potions with Snape. They were deep into an argument on quidditch strategy before they realized they had made it all the way into town and were approaching Honeydukes. Harry stopped abruptly, Ginny bumping into his side, as Parvati Patil bolted out of the sweetshop, hands fisted at her side, her face flushed. “BOYS!” they heard her angrily mutter as she charged past. Seconds later, Dean Thomas hurried out of the sweetshop and down the front steps.

“Dean!” Ginny exclaimed, stumbling into Harry again as he almost ran her down.

Dean looked around. “Oh! Sorry, Ginny.”

“What’s wrong?”

“These!” Dean shoved out his hand. Three little pastel colored candy hearts with writing on them lay in his palm.

“Isn’t that a muggle candy?” Harry asked, recognizing the valentine treat.

“Yeah, or so I thought,” Dean said frustrated. “Turns out Honeyduke's version is a little different. They are supposed to say things like “Be Mine” and “I Love You.” But for some reason, today they're blank until you give them to your valentine. Then they tell your valentine exactly what you’re thinking.”

Ginny read the hearts in Dean’s hand. The writing scrolled through the messages “West Ham Lost!”, “That Kick was good!”, and “He got robbed!” Ginny fought to keep her face straight as she looked back at Dean.

“Now Parvati's mad,” Dean sighed, "because I was thinking about soccer not her! I’ve got to go. Here — maybe these will work better for you!” Dean shoved a paper sack into Ginny’s hands and headed off in the direction of his date.

Harry’s eyes followed Dean’s retreating form. “So,” he ventured, “you and Dean…didn’t work out?”

“Nah,” Ginny giggled, not able to keep it in any longer. “Dean’s nice enough. Just a little clueless when it comes to girls.”

Aren’t we all? Harry pondered silently.

Ginny glanced at Harry. Oh, what the heck, she thought and reached into the paper bag. Drawing out a sickle-sized blue heart, Ginny placed it in Harry’s hand.

“Besides, you’ll always be my only Valentine, Harry.” She gave him a wink and a smile, shoving the paper sack into her pocket.

Completely numb, Harry looked at the blue heart in his hand. It was blank. Then he registered a plop. A drop of water landed next to the heart. Plop. Plop. He looked toward the clouded sky and felt something wet on his face. A boom of thunder shook the ground beneath them. Before he knew it, the plop, plop, plop turned into pelting torrents of rain with the potential of soaking them through.

“Quick!” Ginny said, running in the direction of the nearest doorway. “In here!” Harry, still not thinking clearly, followed.

Shaking the rain from their coats, Harry realized with dismay they had taken refuge in Madam Puddifoot’s. The shop should have been crammed with couples eating cakes, sipping tea and staring into each other's eyes. Instead, it looked deserted maybe because it also appeared as if a huge food fight had taken place in the cramped little tea shop. Half empty cups rested on saucers; puddles of tea soaked into crumbs of cakes and cookies strewn across table tops; and splatters of what looked like upturned tarts and custards dotted the floors, walls and chairs.

"Harry, where are the cherubs?" Ginny asked, looking up. "Doesn't Madam Puddifoot usually have Cherubs for Valentine's Day?"

"Yeah, well, at least she did last yea-"

A sudden warning cut Harry off. "DUCK!"

From somewhere around her knees, Ginny felt a sharp tug on the leg of her jeans, pulling her downward. Loosing her balance, she caught the front of Harry's shirt and dragged him down to the floor with her.

"Quick! Get under a table!" the voice ordered.

Ginny felt a hand on her shoulder give her a hard push into one of the pink tablecloths. She fell backward.

"Ow!" She exclaimed, sitting up, rubbing her head where she'd made contact with the table leg. Ron was scrunched under the table across the way, the tablecloth draped over his shoulders like a long, flowing satin pink cloak.

"Ron! What's go-"

"NOW!" He ordered, shoving Harry toward Ginny. Harry fell into Ginny, grabbing a hold of both her arms to keep from falling head first into her lap. As he straightened up, he heard it.

SPLAT!

Ginny's eyes widened as she saw what looked like yellow custard drip off the side of the table and land next to her knee on the floor.

SPLAT! A shrill cackle came from above their heads and a dollop of whipped cream landed on the toe of Harry's sneaker. He pulled his foot under the table.
Another splat could be heard hitting a table nearby followed by Lavender Brown's cry, "It's all ruined!" As Ginny listened, she realized the tea shop wasn't deserted. Everyone was hiding under the tables.

"Ron, what's going on?" Ginny asked, crossing her legs and holding up the pink table cloth as if it was a tent flap. "And where's Hermione?"

"Hermione's gone to get Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. Something's gone wrong," Ron explained, wringing his hands, looking rather miserable. "She thinks the room of requirement might have been overloaded."

"Overloaded? What's that mean?"

"I don't know," Ron said, looking cautiously out from under his table. "We started out at Scrivenshaft's because Hermione needed a new quill but the ink pots kept exploding. At Zonkos we were bombarded with dungbombs. Then we came here and…" exasperated, Ron waived his hands in the air. "To top it off, have you seen those storm clouds?” he asked. “Hermione just left here saying something about there being a fine line between love and hate. I've got to meet her at the edge of town. The pixies keep barricading the door, but leave it unguarded when they have to reload. I'm making a break for it. Just don't look up!"

Harry and Ginny watched Ron run to the door. He pulled it open and had almost made it free and clear when they saw what looked like a lemon tart whiz by, landing like a big yellow target in the middle of his back. They heard him yell as the door slammed shut behind him.

"What can I get for you today?"

Ginny jumped. She had been so busy watching Ron escape she missed the shopkeeper's approach. Madam Puddifoot was crouched in front of them, a circular tray held above her head with one hand, her other hand clutching her wand. SPLAT! A custard crème hit the tray. Madam Puddifoot shot a stream of sparks at her attacker.

"Pixies! Cornish pixies!" she ranted. "There weren't enough cherubs available to have at two tea shops on such short notice. Professor Dumbledore said not to worry. The room of requirement would provide what I needed. Did I get cherubs? NO! I end up with Cornish pixies IN TUTUS!" she complained disgustedly. "I'll bring you tea. Just stick your hand out and maybe you'll get lucky and catch a tart." With that, Madam Puddifoot turned on her hunches and walked, crouched over, to the back of the shop.

Ginny's eyes met Harry's. He snorted. She giggled. They couldn't help it. Before they knew it, they'd dropped the tablecloth and were clutching their sides.

"It's not my fault, honestly!" Ginny gasped. "You were there! Hermione wouldn't let me help plan anything. My input was too depressing!"

"I know," Harry chortled. "But I’m not sure anyone else planned this either!”

From behind them, they heard Lavender Brown wail, "It's not funny!" but that just seemed to make it more hilarious. As Ginny wiped the tears away from her eyes, Madam Puddifoot returned, still holding the tray above her head, her wand pointing at two tea cups levitating in front of her.

"Here!" she said as she lowered them onto the floor. "Sugar and milk is on the table, if you can get them," she said, ducking out.

Letting the tablecloth fall, Ginny pushed one of the teacups toward Harry and picked up the other. Harry also let his corner of fabric fall to the floor, enclosing them in a pink satin circular tent. With the flaps up, Harry hadn't realized how close Ginny was sitting. He was suddenly very aware of where her knee touched his leg, of how her damp hair smelled of flowers and how her shirt stuck to her in all the right places. Harry took a gulp of his tea and grimaced at the bitterness. He heard another SPLAT above.

Ginny studied Harry over the rim of her teacup. She'd always wanted to spend Valentine's Day with him. In her daydreams, she had been able to take Harry's breath away, a beautiful dress, her hair up…she looked down at her semi-soaked clothing and sighed. Ah well, it wasn't picture perfect, but she was spending Valentine's Day with Harry and she was going to make the best of it.

"So, Harry," Ginny said, looking up, grinning impishly "I suppose this is a little different than the last Valentine's Day date you had here."

Harry sat up straighter as the memory of his date with Cho last year flashed through his mind. He'd always felt a little embarrassed thinking back on the whole experience. He hadn't handled himself very well at all. Forgiving himself a little, he grinned.

"You could say that. Last year, everybody had confetti in their hair, not whipped cream."

"Good point," Ginny responded, taking another sip of her cooling tea.

As he thought about it, it occurred to Harry this Valentine's Day couldn't be more different than his last. For starters, last year he couldn't wait to get out of Madam Puddifoot’s. This year, he'd be very happy sitting in this pink tent all day as long as Ginny sat there with him. He wondered if Ginny felt the same way.

This question nagged at Harry while they sat there, sipping tea, his crossed legs beginning to tingle and go numb. Before he could talk himself out of it, or Madam Puddifoot reappeared to refill their empty tea cups, Harry decided to try and find out.

"So, you know what this place needs?"

"Hmm?"

"A singing dwarf," Harry observed. At first he thought he had stepped over the line. Ginny's hair had fallen forward, hiding her face and she'd gone very still.
Then, tucking her hair behind her ear, she raised her eyes to his face.

"Only if I get to write the songs," she said seriously before starting to giggle. "Merlin, Harry, I am sorry about that."

"I'm not," he said truthfully.

"Really?"

"Yeah," Harry replied, keeping his eyes focused on a knot in the floorboard. "I mean, at the time, all I could think was, ‘Could you please stop that thing from singing!’ But now, I'm sorry I wasn't with it enough to know better."

Ginny's eyes widened. "Well, maybe next year if Madam Puddifoot could guarantee a dwarf along with the pixies, you'd be all set here," she said softly.

"Only if I could share my table-tent with you," Harry said quietly. Ginny caught her breath.

They both jumped when the tablecloth lifted. Madame Puddifoot's face appeared in the flap.

"You two can come out from hiding now. I've caught the majority of them. You should be able to make it out without getting hit."

Ginny cursed to herself as she realized Madame Puddifoot was holding the tablecloth aside waiting for them to exit. Reluctantly, she clambered out, Harry following, and they joined the line of students exiting the tea shop.

Once on the street, they stood there getting their bearings. "Well, where to next?" Harry asked. The rain had stopped, however, the clouds still hung menacingly over the village.

"Let's check out Dervish and Banges," Ginny suggested. "Ron’s birthday is next month and he’s talked about wanting a Sneakoscope."

"Okay," Harry nodded, holding out his arm and giving Ginny a mock bow. She giggled and took his arm. When they arrived at the shop at the edge of town, there was a sign in the window of Dervish and Banges reading "Valentine's Day Special: Music Boxes." Ginny raised her eyebrows at Harry.

"Do you think he'd like one of those instead?" she asked with a grin.

"Only if we can find one with a dwarf in it," Harry stated innocently.

Ginny punched him in the arm and opened the door to the shop. An extremely loud, high pitched screeching assaulted their ears. Harry dropped Ginny's hand and they both stuffed their fingers into their ears. Harry knew that sound. This was the same sound that had come out of his Triwizard golden egg clue, Mermish. Was Dervish and Banges selling golden eggs?

Harry looked around. He could see Seamus Finnigan standing at the front of the shop, arms outstretched, holding up a music box in which a miniature mermaid hovered. Wincing, Seamus looked at them apologetically.

"I’M GIVING THIS TO MY GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE SHE LOVES THE SEA," he shouted.

"MAKE IT STOP, WILL YOU?" yelled Ginny.

"CAN'T! THE LID DOESN'T STAY SHUT!" Holding the box in front of him as if it was going to explode, Seamus ran out of the store, the screeching sound of Mermish trailing after him.

Ginny and Harry looked at each other and broke into new fits of giggles. "Oh, forget Ron. Maybe we should head back?" Ginny asked, holding out her hand. Nodding, Harry took it. Outside again, Harry and Ginny strolled down the street.

"Hey, Harry! Ginny!" Ron waived to them from the entrance of The Three Broomsticks. "We're in here. Come on!"

Ron stood aside as Harry and Ginny entered the pub. Ron blazed a trail for them to a table near the end of the bar. Hermione was perched on a tall stool next to Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. As they shifted to make room for the newcomers, Harry looked down. Sitting in front of everyone at the table was a glass of what looked like water. Glancing around the pub, Harry noticed all the pub's patrons were drinking water.

Madam Rosmerta leaned over the edge of the bar. "Two more waters?"

"What happened to the Butterbeer?" Harry asked.

She shrugged. "Can't serve it today. For some reason, I put it down in front of people and it erupts like a volcano, spraying all over the place. The pumkin fizz has gone flat, the Gillywater is sour, and I can't serve you firewhiskey inside or outside of Hogsmeade or Hogwarts, so don't even ask. I'll be back with your water."

"So, what happened to the plan?” Ginny asked brightly.

"Teenage hormones!" Professor Dumbledore chuckled. "I didn't take that into consideration. Forgive an old wizard for forgetting how influential they can be!"

"Yes, it seems having the students be in charge of planning Valentine's Day in the room of requirement may not have been the best thought out idea," Professor McGonagall concurred, fighting to hold back a smile.

"Too many wishes, desires, and heart felt longings caused an overload of conflict for the room," Hermione chimed in. "Things just kind of backfired."

"For future trips," Professor McGonagall continued, "the heads of houses will play a larger roll in the planning process."

Ron snorted. "I'd like to see Professor Snape plan a Valentine's Day!"

"Yes, well," Dumbledore said, eyes twinkling, "I might suggest he use the Gryffindor plan. This is a most delightful aberration from the norm, wouldn’t you say so, Miss Weasley?"

Ginny grinned at the headmaster. Under the table, she felt Harry envelope her hand in his own and rest it on his knee. "I'd say it's turning out okay," she replied, blushing.

"Well, there isn't much we can do to salvage the day now," Dumbledore stated, standing up. "I'm going to head back now. Minerva, care to join me?"

Professor McGonagall nodded, stood up and followed Dumbledore toward the door. Watching them, Ron commented off-handedly, "I heard she snogged Dumbledore once."

"Ronald!" Hermione admonished, hitting him in the arm. "How can you talk that way about our teachers! That’s just rude! And they are hardly out of earshot!”

"Hey, I was talking about Madam Rosmerta!”

“Still, Ron!”

“It’s just what I heard in the common room!"

Deciding there were better ways to end today than listening to Ron and Hermione bicker, Harry stood up, pulling Ginny with him. "We'll see you two at dinner," he said.

"Bye!" Ginny called over her shoulder as they exited the pub.

Harry and Ginny had just made it to the Owl Post Office when Neville came charging out.

"Careful, Neville!" Ginny warned, as he almost ran into them.

"Oh! Sorry, Ginny. Hi Harry." Neville was panting as if he'd just run a race. "Don't go in there!" He warned as he leaned down, his hands on his knees, to catch his breath.

"Why?" Harry asked, not sure anything could surprise him now.

"The owls! They've gone nuts! They're dive bombing anyone who comes near them with a letter! They’re doubling up on those who have letters that look like Valentines!" Neville explained, waiving his arms above his head as if he were afraid the owls had followed him outside.

"No way!" Ginny exclaimed. Walking around Neville, she pulled the door open and peeked in. Owls were screeching, feathers filled the air, and people were yelping in pain. Ginny pulled her head back out again. "Looks normal to me!" she said, grinning.

++++

Dinner that night was a solemn affair at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. Despite Dumbledore explaining to them nothing that occurred in the room of requirement should be taken to heart, many a couple were sitting next to each other in stony silence. As Harry and Ginny sat down, Harry noticed Seamus a few seats down. He looked oddly lopsided, not to mention somewhat taller than normal. Harry then recalled what Seamus had said about the lid of the music box.

"Seamus," Harry called, grinning, "Are you sitting on what I think you're sitting on?"

Seamus grinned back, giving Harry a thumbs-up. "Finally got it shut. When I'm done, I'm taking a play out of your book, Harry, and going to open it up underwater!"

Laughing, Harry turned his attention to dinner.


Afterwards Harry and Ginny meandered through the hallways toward Gryffindor tower. Hands clasped, neither of them were walking particularly quickly, as if the day could be extended by slowing their pace.

“Thanks Harry,” Ginny said softly as they neared the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Thanks?”

“Yeah, thanks. I had a really fun time today. You were a wonderful Valentine’s Day date.” Ginny could feel her cheeks growing warm.

“You’re welcome,” Harry managed, wishing he could think of something more fitting to say. “Me, too. I - I had fun too.”

Ginny tucked her free hand into her pocket and felt the paper sack. Pulling it out, she said, “Hey, I forgot about these.”

Harry stopped. “I wonder if the heart you gave me ever said anything.”

Ginny nervously watched Harry dig into his pocket for the blue candy. He pulled it out and flipped in over. It was blank.

“Huh, maybe the magic wears off after a while,” he shrugged.

Ginny felt a wave of relief wash over her. She wasn’t sure she wanted Harry to know where her thoughts had been going as they walked.

“Oh, wait,” he said, peering closely at the heart. Ginny caught her breath. “Here it comes, Now you can ki-" Harry stopped, his eye’s widening, his face turning bright pink. Harry looked up at Ginny.

Ginny bit her lip and looked down at the toes of her shoes. “Now you can kiss me, Harry,” she said softly. Blushing madly, she raised her head and smiled shyly at him. Harry swallowed and pushed his glasses into place.

“Okay,” he said softly. Leaning forward, his lips met hers in the softest of touches. Pulling back slightly, Harry met Ginny’s eyes. “I think I like these hearts,” he whispered.

Ginny smiled at him, rising on her toes to kiss him again. If Ginny had let Harry look down at the heart again, he would have read the words, “Me too.”


A/N: Lucky for me my first attempt at a challenge was supposed to be fluffy! As if I could write anything but fluff! Hope you enjoyed it!
Reviews 33
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear