Search:

SIYE Time:21:42 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


But Patience Is A Virtue
By Calliope

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Humor, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 22
Summary: "Ginny and Harry, you mean? Well, they hardly know what's going on between them, so how am I supposed to?" (Third in the It Takes A While series.)
Hitcount: Story Total: 6311







ChapterPrinter






Ron padded down the stairs, yawning and stretching as he did so. In retrospect, this may have been a bad idea, as his vision clouded over when he hit the bottom. He blinked and waited for the darkness to lift, and when it did, he saw Hermione sitting at the kitchen table with a glass of water.

“Hey,” he said blearily. “’Cha doin’?”

“Thirsty,” said Hermione shortly.

“Yeah, me too.” Ron went over to the cabinet and got his own glass, then filled it with water and sat down across from Hermione.

“Why didn’t you just go in the bathroom?” said Hermione, with almost a trace of irritation in her voice.

“Why didn’t you?” Ron shot back.

“I asked you first.”

“I asked you second.”

“It tastes better down here.”

“Right.”

“It really does.”

“Did I say I didn’t believe you?”

“So what about you?”

“Harry’s been using my toothpaste cup again. Needed a clean glass.”

“Oh.”

The conversation trailed off into a slightly uncomfortable silence until Ron decided to speak.

“You know, you don’t have to be all moody about it.”

“All moody about what?”

“What happened this afternoon.”

“I wasn’t aware anything happened this afternoon.” Hermione was being stubborn.

“Yes, you were.”

“How would you know?”

“You’re going to tell me that Hermione Granger, Queen of Observations, didn’t notice some half-naked twit flirting with me on the sidewalk today?”

Hermione didn’t answer, but Ron caught her muttering something about “the way those Muggles dress” under her breath, and he suppressed a grin.

“Did you notice I didn’t flirt back?”

Hermione was silent.

“Did you?”

“Yes.”

“And then what did she finally do?”

“Moved on to Harry,” Hermione mumbled, looking away.

“Did she?” This surprised Ron. “I thought she went away.”

“No. When you were trying to fight off those pigeons, she started in on Harry. Giggling and touching and all sorts of idiotic things…” she trailed off for a moment. “And she did it right under Ginny’s nose,” she added, almost as an afterthought.

“What does Ginny have to do with it?” Ron asked carefully.

“You can’t say you haven’t noticed. Even you, King of the Oblivious, have to know what’s going on between them.”

“Ginny and Harry, you mean? Well, they hardly know what’s going on between them, so how am I supposed to?”

“They’re trying to figure things out.”

“Figuring things out my foot.”

“Ron…”

“They’re dancing around each other like a couple of first-years in puppy love! They haven’t done a damned thing! And I’ll tell you, I’m getting sick of it all!”

“Ron, hush!” Hermione hissed, and Ron realized how loud he was getting. He quickly dropped back down to a whisper.

“They’d just better ‘figure things out’ before I explode.”

“Well, that’s hardly fair.”

“How so?”

“Look at how long it took us to ‘figure things out.’ Did Harry explode?”

“Yes. Otherwise we never would have.”

“Fine, then. Did Ginny?”

“Yes.”

“She didn’t!”

“Maybe not to you, but she did to me. You should have seen her. It was that one day you were crying for about six hours.”

“I remember that.”

“I’ll never forget it. The bruise on my shin she gave me still smarts when it’s about to rain.”

“Okay…so maybe they did explode at us a little bit…” Hermione paused. “What was the point of this again?”

“That little bit on the sidewalk.”

“Oh, right. Her.”

“Did Ginny say anything to you?”

“Not really. She just kind of stood around for a while and then when she couldn’t take it any more she walked off.”

“Well, that was a bit babyish.”

“What would have been more mature? To have jumped on the girl and beat her to a pulp?” Hermione’s voice was suddenly sharp.

Ron shrugged. “It would have been more entertaining, though the outcome would be pretty easy to guess. That twig wouldn’t have a chance against my sister.”

“Please stop bringing up the fact that she was a twig.”

“Right. No more twig comments.”

“Or what else should she have done? Walked up to the girl and said, ‘Excuse me, this is my pseudo-crush-boyfriend you’re talking to’ and snogged Harry silly?”

“That would have been pretty effective. And I’d guarantee you neither of them would have been lying in bed moping at nine-thirty tonight.”

Hermione sighed. “They’ll figure it out someday,” she whispered.

“Hermione, don’t give me the same junk you feed Ginny during girl-talk sessions.”

“What do you--”

“Never mind. All I mean to say is, they won’t figure it out on their own anytime soon. It’s been almost a year already. We’ve only got a year left at Hogwarts with Ginny. If they’re not into something in the next few months, we’re all royally screwed.”

“All?”

“All. Harry and Ginny will be sobbing over what-might-have-been, and you and I will be too busy wiping up their tears to have any fun at all.”

A hesitation. “I hadn’t thought of that…”

“Exactly, Hermione. We’ve either got to do something about this or resolve ourselves to another couple years of teen angst on top of everything else we — and Harry — have got to deal with.”

“No, Ron.” The hesitation had gone from Hermione’s voice, and it was now firm and decisive. “We can’t push them into something.”

“Why in bloody hell not? They pushed us.”

“Ron, you and I are different than Harry and Ginny.”

“I hope so, because otherwise I might as well be dating my sister.”

“If you try to push them into something, they’ll end up running away faster than you can say ‘twit on a stick.’ They have to go things at their own pace.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Then why bring it up?” The earlier annoyance was creeping back into Hermione’s voice.

“To hear you say ‘twit on a stick.’”

Hermione reached across the table to place her hand on top of Ron’s. He turned his wrist so his palm faced upwards and intertwined his fingers with hers.

He took another sip of water and said, “They’ll figure it out someday.”




A/N: Not mine, not mine, not mine.

Okay, there will be one more installment. Those of you who are smart can probably logically conclude that it will be between Harry and Ginny -- their first actual interaction in the series!

Review, review, review.
Reviews 22
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear