Search:

SIYE Time:15:00 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Final Farewell
By skittellgirl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 4
Summary: Harry says goodbye to his loved ones and prepares for battle.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3764







ChapterPrinter







A Final Farewell



The day had dawned bright and sunny, just another lovely late June day. If the weather could be used as a judge, there was no reason for anyone to feel anything other than hopeful and content. Unfortunately, Harry Potter and his friends knew that was not the case. The war with Voldemort had been raging for some time now, and both sides had suffered casualties and losses. It seemed almost ironic that on this most gorgeous of days, the darkest battle of that conflict would take place. Harry knew that Voldemort and his closest allies stood out there, in the Forbidden Forest, waiting to attack. Everyone in the Order stood silently, gathered in Dumbledore’s office, knowing that this was it, the final battle. Today the balance between good and evil would be decided.


Harry knew that he was physically ready. He had been training in earnest, even more once he had told his loved ones of the prophecy two Christmases ago. However, he didn’t know if he was emotionally ready. He knew that Voldemort was evil incarnate, that he would kill anyone he could if given the chance. He knew that he, Harry, was all that stood between Voldemort and the rest of the world. In spite of knowing all this, he still hated the idea of having to take another life.


Harry turned and looked at his friends. Ron stood next to Hermione, with a look of determination on his face that Harry had never seen before. It was as if something had been lit up inside of him, something strong, primal. Harry knew that Ron was ready to fight by his side, now in the final moment as he had always done. He then looked at Hermione, who had a look on her face that matched Ron’s so well that Harry had to wonder why they ever doubted they were right for each other. He then surveyed the rest of the Order. He did not see one measure of doubt on anyone’s faces as they looked steadily back at him. It was a great source of comfort, that they obviously felt that he was ready. He started to think If they know without doubt that I can do this, maybe I should know it too.


Finally, he turned to look at his beloved Ginny. Their relationship had started out slowly at first, a stolen glance here and there. Finally, he had gotten enough courage at the beginning of his seventh year to ask her to Hogsmeade. She had readily agreed, and from the first date on they were inseparable. Harry realized that he couldn’t remember a time when he didn’t love her. He had yet to say the words, though. He knew that Ginny understood how he felt, he just didn’t think it would be right to tell her those words. For him, they were a promise, and until he was sure it was one he could keep, he had decided to play it close to the vest. She had been saying it to him all the while, though, feeling that he needed those words at this time in his life more than anything. In fact, she was the first to speak, telling him her deepest, innermost feelings once again.


“I love you, Harry”, said Ginny softly.


“I know,” he replied. He sighed, and then walked over to her. He took her hands in his and said, “I don’t know what is going to happen out there. I just wanted you to know what you mean to me. Ginny, I-”


She silenced him with a gentle finger on his lips. “When you get back, you can tell me.”


“Ginny, I am not sure-” he started, but she silenced him again. “I am. I know you, Harry. I know your strength and your courage and your heart. I know that you will win, and that you will come back for me. I will see you after it is all over, my love.”


“Just promise me this,” said Harry. “Be careful out there, please. Give me something to come back to.”


“I will, I promise,” Ginny replied, tears in her eyes.


“That goes for all of you,” said Harry. “I want to come home to my friends, not their bodies.”


Ron spoke, “Harry, we will do anything we can to help you out there. I will be careful, I promise you that. But I am willing to-”


“I know,” Harry interrupted. “The fact that you would means everything to me, really. But still, be careful, okay? If I lost you, I would-”


“Lose your best friends, we know”, said Hermione.


“No, not just my best friends,” Harry replied. “I would lose the two people who literally saved my soul. Without your support, without your love and understanding, especially through the last three years, do you know what would have happened to me? Not only would I have been incapable of being with Ginny, I would have been incapable of emotion, period. Without you, my bitterness and anger would have taken me over. Without you, I would be Voldemort himself.


“We never would have let that happen, Harry,” said Hermione firmly, in that know-it-all way that both Harry and Ron loved so much.


“I know, but still, thank you.” replied Harry.


Dumbledore cleared his throat, and said, “I am terribly sorry, Harry, but he’s approaching. We have to go now.”


Harry nodded, confidently. He stood up, and Ron and Hermione flanked him on either side. Ginny stood behind him. The Weasley family, who had said their goodbyes earlier, gathered behind her. Draco and Lisa stood behind them, and the rest of the Order, with Tonks and Remus leading the way, got behind them. Then, with Dumbledore guarding everyone’s backs, they silently filed out to meet their destiny.






 


 


“Harry?”


Ha rry groaned. He felt as though he had done a Wronski Feint while completely drunk. His head was pounding, and he could tell that he had a couple of broken ribs. He struggled to open his eyes, and as his vision cleared, he realized that an angel was standing over him. His angel.


“Ginny,” he gasped, looking at her tear-stained face. He noted the bruises, and sat up suddenly, ignoring the pain this caused him. “What-what happened?”


“It’s over, my darling. We won!”


“But Ron and Hermione and-” he started, but she interrupted, saying, “They are all right. Just banged up, like us. They are right in the next ward over. They will come to visit as soon as Madam Pomfrey will let them.”


“It’s over,” Harry said, in disbelief. He repeated himself, “It’s over. It’s over. It’s over!” he finally let out, with a joyous whoop. “It’s over, we’re okay, Oh Merlin!”


“Yes,” replied Ginny, laughing. He grinned, reached up, and pulled her down as gently as he could. He kissed her with all of the passion, all of the anxiety, and all of the joy that he was feeling. Ginny gasped as he brushed his tongue against her lips, as he had never done that before. She opened her mouth, and soon their tongues were dueling. Losing herself, she started to push her hands up underneath his shirt. He started to push his hands under hers as well, and came upon her bra strap. They kept on kissing, until-


“Harry, the wizarding press is looking for a statement-” said Dumbledore, coming over to his bed. He stopped when he saw what was going on, and said, “So, I shall tell them that you’re, ahem, still recovering then?”


Harry looked up, beet red, and managed to choke out, “Uh, that would be a good idea, professor.”


Dumbledore nodded, and walked off. Ginny began to laugh again, and for the first time in a long while, Harry joined her. He looked at her, and said the words he had wanted to say for years, “Ginerva Molly Weasley, I love you”


“I love you too, Harry James Potter,” she replied.


He kissed her again, only lightly this time, and she lay against him, listening to his heartbeat through his thin cotton T-shirt. As they drifted off to sleep, Harry thought in amazement how only a few hours ago, he thought he was saying his final farewells. Now, he realized with a measure of hope that he hadn’t known in quite some time, his life was only beginning.



 




Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear